Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rorac posted:

I just tried this stuff out on megamek against a friend and holy poo poo that fight was hilarious (and terribly frustrating for him, which was a bonus). Hardened armor on an assault is just unfair and it amused me to no end watching what he threw at me turn into 1 and 2 point damage strikes.

It ended when he got into melee while I was one level higher.

I think that when they first released it in Max Tech the biggest way to circumvent hardened armor was LBX Cluster rounds. 1/2 of 1 damage is still 1 damage to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Taerkar posted:

I think that when they first released it in Max Tech the biggest way to circumvent hardened armor was LBX Cluster rounds. 1/2 of 1 damage is still 1 damage to it.

By that logic LRM boats should work just as well. Better, if you can get a TAG equipped scout or a C3 link running around too fast for the Assault to hit reliably. Just bomb him from behind cover and watch and laugh as he tries and waddle after you.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Taerkar posted:

That doesn't really work as far as I know, because now it tracks 1/2 damage points - at least in MegaMek.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That doesn't really work as far as I know, because now it tracks 1/2 damage points - at least in MegaMek.

... And that right there is the reason I hate hardened armor, and won't field it.

It's irritating.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

... And that right there is the reason I hate hardened armor, and won't field it.

It's irritating.

You can also think of it as having double armor points, but because of the paradigm that they instituted - 'mech armor being limited by points, not tonnage - that tweaks them wrong. But it's the same thing, really, tracking half damage points for an armor that halves damage, and doubling the armor points in practice.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Speaking of breaking single damage points down into pieces, infantry weapon damage ratings in the Techmanual are listed in non-whole numbers and that bothers me a lot for some reason. Well, the way infantry are handled in Battletech as a whole bugs me but conventional infantry are admittedly a bit of an afterthought when playing the Wars of the Gigantic Metal Killbeasts.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Hardened Armor might be a pain to keep track of, but it's quite usefull in gameplay. I used SSW to make myself Mad Cat Mk II Enhanced (which is the version from TRO Prototypes that uses hardened armor) to use with MegaMek. That thing went through enemy fire as if they were shooting peas at it :)

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Hardened Armor is not really all that good. Spending double the weight on armor and losing that point of movement adds up. When you are plodding along with a +1 TH modifier for movement while running and your foe, who has almost double your firepower, is at a constant +3 for movement you are going to die.

It works good on some light/medium designs, though. 9/13 is almost as good as 9/14, and you can make an effective short-ranged arsenal out of lighter weapons.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

It also works pretty well as patchwork armor. You can use a normal armor everywhere else but hardened armor on the head for a tiny bit of extra weight that you probably won't end up noticing anyways. Totally worth taking an AC/20 to the head and just giving no fucks.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Taerkar posted:

The current rules for hardened armor are that each armor point can take two damage, meaning you get as much armor as it weighs. Damage reduction like you mention still is in effect for VTOL rotors.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 27, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Waiting on orders from one of our Piranhas, and a possible clarification from the other. Other than that--Tac 3 is almost ready to go.

Edit: Scratch that, missed an e-mail somehow.

Double Edit: Welp, the Jenner IIC pilot figured out how to maximize his annoyance factor already.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 27, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Rorac posted:

It also works pretty well as patchwork armor. You can use a normal armor everywhere else but hardened armor on the head for a tiny bit of extra weight that you probably won't end up noticing anyways. Totally worth taking an AC/20 to the head and just giving no fucks.

9*2 = 18
Or
20/2 = 10

18 - 20 = -2
Or
9 - 10 = -1

(Hrm. Does Hardened Armor keep its halved damage even after the armor is gone, or does it then go on to apply full damage for the remainder?)

It's not a guaranteed one-shot kill, but taking an AC/20 to the head, even with Hardened Armor, is still going to ruin your day and extract some fucks out of you. Even if you survive and miraculously don't eat a cockpit crit or a sensor crit (which kills your combat effectiveness dead anyway,) you're facing a knockout roll and a buttload of pilot damage.

And don't quote me on it, but I think that having Hardened Armor anywhere, even just on the HD, may still apply the downsides of having Hardened Armor, namely a +1 to PSRs and a -1 to running speed. If that's the case, then being able to survive a gauss rifle or cERPPC to the HD, and potentially survive an AC/20, isn't really going to be worth the trade-off of just up-armoring your HD.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

PoptartsNinja posted:

Double Edit: Welp, the Jenner IIC pilot figured out how to maximize his annoyance factor already.

Looks like we know who's going to get hit by those invisible ninjas.

Grudge-monsters, the tool of any good GM.

*edit* Whups, just saw the email, Poptarts.

And can I say that it's really hard to read the --12's and --13's at the bottom of the map?

Edit 2: I'm sorry, why can't I see V5 from 1213? I was asking about that hex earlier. It's six away from the other hex, and apparently those are two light woods in the way. Is it a torso thing?

Edit 3: Yikes, edit wall. Okay yeah I was asking about 1313 earlier because I confused them on the map. If I can't see from 1213 then I'll try from 1313. But... honestly that looks like denser woods and further away.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 27, 2011

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

math stuff and armor discussion

From what I understand, it's 18 armor and 2 to the structure. It's not 100% chance of survival(but then NO headshot is) but some chance of survival >>>> 100% chance of instadeath.

Also, SSW doesn't seem to apply any penalties for armoring up the head alone.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Edit 2: I'm sorry, why can't I see V5 from 1213? I was asking about that hex earlier. It's six away from the other hex, and apparently those are two light woods in the way. Is it a torso thing?

From 1213, your line of sight is drawn through a light and a heavy woods, which blocks line of sight.

From 1313, you are on a hill. The only wood that affect your line of sight are the two elevated light woods. It's a slim chance to hit either way, but you do have line of sight there.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Dolash posted:

Looks like we know who's going to get hit by those invisible ninjas.

Grudge-monsters, the tool of any good GM.

*edit* Whups, just saw the email, Poptarts.

And can I say that it's really hard to read the --12's and --13's at the bottom of the map?

Edit 3: Yikes, edit wall. Okay yeah I was asking about 1313 earlier because I confused them on the map. If I can't see from 1213 then I'll try from 1313. But... honestly that looks like denser woods and further away.

If you haven't looked through it yet I recommend reading, or at least skimming the tables of, the introductory rulebook which covers the basics of gameplay.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/downloads/CBT_Introductory_Rulebook.pdf

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Welp.

... Hahahahaha...

Edit: Best turn ever.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 27, 2011

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Welp.

... Hahahahaha...

Damnit PTN.

e: It's hard to swear at an acronym. From now on, when I need to exclaim you name I shall shorten it to Tart. Possibly Tarts. Whichever is funnier.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

PoptartsNinja posted:

Welp.

... Hahahahaha...

I take it I should hurry up and prepare my :effort:post on the Clans and why- in-universe they are such a disappointment, so that it can hit while the players are still goons?

(I do not care if there is interest I will post it anyway and hang you all)

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Obligatory :f5: post due to PTN being a tease.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I knew I was going to take some amount of laser to the face with my move, but...

PoptartsNinja posted:

I stand by my decision.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'm waiting to see which goon pilot who will show their back to the enemy this turn.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Waiting to see a ninja warrior TAC cockpit kill a goon. VibroKatana to the face

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I have no sympathy for Goonstar. I hope they all get ganked by Space-Japanese-Commando-Ninjas.

Also, I mentioned this in IRC, but I wondered if anyone here's heard of Reaper's CAV game? A through and through battletech clone, but with much better looking designs. Has anyone ever tried it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Assault_Vehicle

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Outfoxed: Tactical Update 3

(To avoid clutter, from now on I'll be leaving out any phase where nothing happens)

Combat Phase
F1 Kit Fox
- Fires ER Large Laser at V3 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 4, miss!
Gains 14 heat, sinks 20.

F2 Jenner IIC
- Fires Streak SRM-4 at V5 Locust (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, 4 missiles hit Center Torso (8/10 armor remains), Center Torso (6/10 armor remains), Left Leg (4/6 armor remains), Left Arm (2/4 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM 6 at V5 Locust (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, 4 missiles hit Right Arm (2/4 armor remains), Right Arm (0/4 armor remains), Left Leg (2/6 armor remains), Right Torso (4/6 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM 6 at V5 Locust (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!
Gains 18 heat, sinks 20.

F3 Jackrabbit IIC
- Torso Twists to face hex 1407.
- Fires ER Large Laser at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 10, hit Left Torso (0/10 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-4 at V1 Panther (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 6, missiles fail to achieve lock!
Gains 14 heat, sinks 20.

F4 Piranha 1
- Holds fire.
Gains 2 heat, sinks 20.

F5 Piranha 2
- Fires ER Medium Laser at V5 Locust (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (0/6 armor, 2/5 structure remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at V5 Locust (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7) : rolled 10, hit Right Leg (0/6 armor, 3/4 structure remains)!
Gains 12 heat, sinks 20.

V1 Panther
- Fires PPC at F3 Jackrabbit IIC (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 at F3 Jackrabbit IIC (2 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 11): rolled 8, miss!

V2 Javelin
- Fires SRM-6 at F3 Jackrabbit IIC (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at F3 Jackrabbit IIC (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 5, miss!

V3 Phoenix Hawk
- Fires Large Laser at F3 Jackrabbit IIC (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 12): rolled 11, miss!

V4 Locust
- Fires Medium Laser at F2 Jenner IIC (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 15): automatic miss!

V5 Locust
- Fires Medium Laser at F2 Jenner IIC (1 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at F2 Jenner IIC (1 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at F2 Jenner IIC (1 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 12): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at F2 Jenner IIC (1 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 12): rolled 8, miss!

End Phase:
V5 Locust
- Critical chance in Right Torso! One critical hit sustained!
-- Machine Gun Ammo hit (Marauder Flaw)!
- V5 Locust suffers damage to Right Torso (0/5 structure remains), damage transfers to Center Torso (0/10 armor remains, 0/6 structure remains), 182 damage left unspent! ‘Mech destroyed!
- Critical chance in Right Leg! No critical hits sustained!

“Locust,” Salah called, identifying enemy ‘Mechs as his own sailed through the air. A full flight of missiles screamed from their tubes at a target Inari couldn’t see. “Phoenix Hawk, Panther, Locust.”

“Javelin,” Inari added, taking a potshot at the distant Phoenix Hawk. Her shot narrowly missed the barrel of the Phoenix Hawk’s large laser when the Hawk’s pilot shifted and took a shot of his own at Elias’ Jackrabbit. “Maintain TarDis—”

“Locust down,” Nioclas interrupted, his tones cold as a Locust’s modest supply of highly-reactive machine gun ammo blew it apart from the inside.

“MyTar!” Salah growled, “You—”

“Salah,” Inari interrupted, trying not to let exasperation creep into her voice. Her freeborn troops were problematic—they played harder and faster with the rules than she was accustomed, yet each took his or her honor extremely seriously, since none would have much opportunity to gain any. In the few short weeks she’d known them, she’d found her Star to be extremely touchy about kills—even in the simulator. “Your codex is to be commended for your excellent scouting—”

“Zell is already broken,” Elias’ calm voice interrupted, “They focus me.”

“Sea Foxes,” Inari cut in, “Let us show these chalcas bandits what we can do!”

Enemy Forces / Next Turn’s Movement:
V1 Panther ran 2 to hex 1006!
V2 Javelin ran 3 to hex 1206!
V3 Phoenix Hawk ran 4 to hex 0808!
V4 Locust 1 ran 7 to hex 1310!
D1 DEST Squad 1 moved 2 to hex ???!
D2 DEST Squad 2 moved 1 to hex ???!
D3 DEST Squad 3 moved 1 to hex ???!

Mission Objectives
Defeat all enemy ‘Mechs (1/5 completed!)

F1 Kit Fox (Prime)
Weight: 30 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 11/11 (7/7)
LT R A(S): 3/3
CT A(S): 15/15 (10/10)
CT R A(S): 5/5
RT A(S): 11/11 (7/7)
RT R A(S): 3/3
LA A(S): 10/10 (5/5)
RA A(S): 10/10 (5/5)
LL A(S): 14/14 (7/7)
RL A(S): 14/14 (7/7)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 10(20)
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Name: Star Commander Inari
Mechwarrior Player: Mary Annette
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
ER Large Laser – LA (Heat: 12, Range: (L:25 M:15 S:8), Status: OK!)
Small Pulse Laser – LA (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Small Pulse Laser – LA (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Streak SRM-6 – RA (Heat: 4, Ammo: 15, Range: (L:12 M:8 S:4), Status: OK!)
A-Pod – RL (Ammo: 1, Status: OK!)
A-Pod – LL (Ammo: 1, Status: OK!)
Active Probe – RT (Status: OK!)
ER Small Laser (Rear) – LT(Rear) (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Targeting Computer – LT (Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 1 hand (right)

F2 Jenner IIC
Weight: 35 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 7/7 (3/3)
LT A(S): 6/6 (8/8)
CT A(S): 13/13 (11/11)
CT R A(S): 7/7
RT A(S): 6/6 (8/8)
LA A(S): 3/3 (6/6)
RA A(S): 3/3 (6/6)
LL A(S): 8/8 (8/8)
RL A(S): 8/8 (8/8)
Movement: 9/14/7
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Salah
Mechwarrior Player: A good poster
Armament:
SRM 6 – RA (Heat: 4, Ammo: 28, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 6 – LA (Heat: 4, Ammo: -, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Streak SRM-4 – CT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 24, Range: (L:12 M:8 S:4), Status: OK!)
Notes: no hands or arm actuators

F3 Jackrabbit IIC
Weight: 25 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 9/9 (6/6)
CT A(S): 12/12 (8/8)
CT R A(S): 4/4
RT A(S): 9/9 (6/6)
LA A(S): 8/8 (4/4)
RA A(S): 8/8 (4/4)
LL A(S): 12/12 (6/6)
RL A(S): 12/12 (6/6)
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Elias
Mechwarrior Player: Octatonic
Armament:
ER Large Laser – RA (Heat: 12, Range: (L:25 M:15 S:8), Status: OK!)
Streak SRM-4 – LA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 25, Range: (L:12 M:8 S:4), Status: OK!)
Notes: no hands

F4 Piranha 1
Weight: 20 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 8/8 (3/3)
LT A(S): 8/8 (5/5)
LT R A(S): 2/2
CT A(S): 9/9 (6/6)
CT R A(S): 3/3
RT A(S): 8/8 (5/5)
RT R A(S): 2/2
LA A(S): 6/6 (3/3)
RA A(S): 6/6 (3/3)
LL A(S): 6/6 (4/4)
RL A(S): 6/6 (4/4)
Movement: 9/14/0
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Elfrede
Mechwarrior Player: Hauki
Armament:
ER Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 5, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
ER Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 5, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – RT (Heat: 0, Ammo: 200, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – RT (Heat: 0, Ammo: -, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – LT (Heat: 0, Ammo: -, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
ER Small Laser – CT (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands

F5 Piranha 2
HD A(S): 8/8 (3/3)
LT A(S): 8/8 (5/5)
LT R A(S): 2/2
CT A(S): 9/9 (6/6)
CT R A(S): 3/3
RT A(S): 8/8 (5/5)
RT R A(S): 2/2
LA A(S): 6/6 (3/3)
RA A(S): 6/6 (3/3)
LL A(S): 6/6 (4/4)
RL A(S): 6/6 (4/4)
Movement: 9/14/0
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Nioclas
Mechwarrior Player: Dolash
Armament:
ER Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 5, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
ER Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 5, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – RT (Heat: 0, Ammo: 200, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
ER Small Laser – CT (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands

Enemy Status

V1 Panther PNT-9R
Weight: 35 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 2
Mechwarrior Name: Garber Vost
Armament: PPC, SRM-4
Notes:

V2 Javelin JVN-10N
Weight: 30 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Name: Kendall Pesht
Armament: 2 SRM 6
Notes:

V3 Phoenix Hawk PXH-2
Weight: 45 tons (Medium)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Brian Seagroves
Armament: 1 Large Laser, 2 Medium Lasers, Guardian ECM Suite
Notes:

V4 Locust LCT-3V
Movement: 8/12/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Holly Goodall (really?)
Armament: 2 Medium Lasers, 2 Machine Guns
Notes:

V5 Locust LCT-3V
Mechwarrior Name: Collis Brank
Mechwarrior Status: Killed!
Notes: Counts as rough terrain!

D1 DEST Team 6654
Platoon(??/??) Sho-sa Yubari Takuda
Type: Infantry
Notes: ‘Ninja Ambush’ special rule, unit is undetectable until it attacks. ‘Lone Ninja’ special rule: this squad’s minimum damage is always ‘2’ even if it would normally be lower.

D2 DEST Team 6654
Platoon(??/??)
Notes: ‘Ninja Ambush’ special rule, unit is undetectable until it attacks.

D3 DEST Team 6654
Platoon(??/??)
Notes: ‘Ninja Ambush’ special rule, unit is undetectable until it attacks.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 27, 2011

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

And that is why I skip any mech that has machine gun ammo.

Edit: This turn could not possibly have gone better for you guys, they're down a mech and you're untouched. You have the advantage, don't waste it. There is really no use in worrying about the infantry because they're going to shoot you when they are good and ready. Try to get into positions where they have the least armor and focus fire when possible.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 27, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't. The odds of machinegun ammo being hit are pretty low, unless it's the only thing in a particular torso section (which is the case here, hence the 'Marauder Flaw,' named after the biggest 'Mech with the same problem).

Usually, if you're taking internal hits, the 'Mech is dead or you're fighting something designed to rack up as many TACs as possible (like the Kraken).

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Quite a good round there with one downed locust and no damage taken in return.
There must be some surprise other than those DEST commandos really.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Haha wow that was an awesome first blood.

You've got V3 marked as V4 on the map Poptarts.

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009
I cannot wait for the inevitable ninja TAC on some clanner's ammo bin.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

This was a pretty good turn for the goonlance! I (f3) was a little nervous about getting into those trees, but I think it paid off. That being said while I enjoy being king of the mountain, I'm being flanked by the Locust, and I don't want to get too close to the Javelin. Does anyone have movement suggestions for next turn?

vvvv Bah. We're largely freebirths piloting (improved) inner sphere mechs. You're getting caught up in technicalities like a drat canister. :v:

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 27, 2011

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Octatonic posted:

This was a pretty good turn for the goonlance!

It is called the goonstar, freebirth.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Octatonic posted:

This was a pretty good turn for the goonlance! I (f3) was a little nervous about getting into those trees, but I think it paid off. That being said while I enjoy being king of the mountain, I'm being flanked by the Locust, and I don't want to get too close to the Javelin. Does anyone have movement suggestions for next turn?

You do not have a lot of great options in terms of maximizing your to-be-hit mods. I only see one way to get a +3 to-be hit mod on first glance, which is running to 1306 and ending facing north. Right next to that javelin. You are probably going to have to settle for +2 to be hit.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Is there any obvious reason I shouldn't walk up behind V4 and unload into his back? Hell, I could throw some punches too I guess.

Er, I guess V4 is V3? I don't know which is which now. Trying to do this from my phone. I could run around a bit to maximize move mod, but it looks like I'll be in LoS and short to medium range of at least one enemy mech. Could still alpha from behind though, and maybe make it worth the sacrifice.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 27, 2011

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Hauki posted:

Is there any obvious reason I shouldn't walk up behind V4 and unload into his back? Hell, I could throw some punches too I guess.

The three dezgra scum who'd repay the favor?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I don't see Mechwarriors Elfrede or Nioclas saying much this coming turn. Their comm links will be drowned out by the "BUDABUDABUDA" of their 24 machine guns.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Nice kill on the Locust there. Guess that Pilot 7/Gunnery 1 dude didn't do much of anything at all and never will...

Either go for the target of opportunity on the other Locust this turn, without presenting too much of a target for the enemy's heavier hitters this turn, or get in position to take out those heavier hitters instead. Just be careful not to get swarmed by ninjas in the process. I'd say the Phoenix Hawk, maybe.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I got a kill!

I got a kill from Far Country!

Best turn ever!

Stand back, I call V4. Gotta get me a set of Locusts.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Diogenes Cynicus posted:

I cannot wait for the inevitable ninja TAC on some clanner's ammo bin.

Clan mechs have CASE built in, so it won't be as devastating as the machine gun pinata we just saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Nice turn, but what happened to zell? You focused fire on the very first combat turn and challenged no one. Did something special happen behind the scenes or are you just ignoring clan rules completely? :(

• Locked thread