Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I'm not the most vocal poster in this thread, and I'm not on the waiting list, but I say let the people waiting have their chances as they come. I understand being worried that the goons might not win, but if anything, the bystanders in this thread are learning just as much from every battle as the people participating. There's tons of very valid and interesting tactical discussion going on, as well as lots of gameplay mechanics being explained as we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

landcollector posted:

Like a Trinary of Warhawk-Cs, or a surprise ambush of a large force of Elementals (15 in such a situation dominated, imagine a Binary's worth...). Don't even get started on nasty tactics that can be utilized. There are probably much more frightening things a GM can think of as well.
Thunder Augmented with blind-firing Arrow IV and sundry other artillery shots.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Diogenes Cynicus posted:

Honestly, I find it quite refreshing to see a bunch of people who would have never considered playing Battletech to jump up for the chance to pilot in a mission and experience the game for the first time. I reminds me of the awe and wonder I felt when I first picked up the game years ago.

Amen on this. It's pretty fun to watch the first time players getting interested in this all - the silly mistakes and all.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, speaking as another person who is following this thread and not on the waiting list, we don't need to bring back "better" Goon Mechwarriors to jump in line and play "elite" scenarios or anything like that. Good goon coordination, using this thread even, makes up for some of it, and watching people fail as well as succeed is half the fun here. After all, it's what makes PTN decide to write for his fluff updates, and that's most of the other half of the fun here, at least in my opinion as one who has almost no familiarity with the mechanics of BattleTech but is somewhat interested in fluff.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Felime posted:

Infantry missiles tend to be very, very ammunition limited. It's quite plausible that that was that squad's only LRM shot.

That's only if you use the optional disposable weapons rules. Otherwise they have infinite ammunition in CBT gameplay.

They also have DEST Suits I assume, which gives you a +1 to hit them if they don't move due to optical camo, and +1 to hit them at long range due to thermal/radar stealth. So don't automatically assume that standing 3 hexes back and plinking them with machine guns may be a terribly effective method of engagement if they hide in heavy woods.

Gunnery 3, +4 for long range, +2 for movement, +1 for stationary DEST, +1 for forest, +1 for ECM/IR Stealth, equals 12. Sure, you'll wreck their poo poo if you do hit, but most of your firepower's going to be going into tearing trees into toothpicks.

Infantry with good gear and skills like DEST ninjas can actually win shooting duels against light mechs if they've got good cover.

(Unless you have a small pulse laser, which works just fine against them).

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, speaking as another person who is following this thread and not on the waiting list, we don't need to bring back "better" Goon Mechwarriors to jump in line and play "elite" scenarios or anything like that. Good goon coordination, using this thread even, makes up for some of it, and watching people fail as well as succeed is half the fun here. After all, it's what makes PTN decide to write for his fluff updates, and that's most of the other half of the fun here, at least in my opinion as one who has almost no familiarity with the mechanics of BattleTech but is somewhat interested in fluff.

I'm sure there are also some legitimately good players down the list too, so there's not any real need to recycle. In fact there's a couple names on there from Legends that I know of, a couple particularly good ones in fact, so I can in fact guarantee there are a few left to go who should be able to do quite nicely. Most people with a 1600+ ELO rating (which is average) there are...well at the very least more competent than a casual player at any rate. And even those that are sub-1600 are still a good bit better than your plays-one-game-a-month type.

I'm pretty proud of the type of playerbase we've cultivated...and a gently caress of a lot of them are goons, so my hat's off to everyone. So based on that, aside from the players I already know are good, I have to assume there's some good players out there on the waiting list that I just don't know about. Or I don't know I know about them. Or whatever. The odds are pretty solid for the goonsquad in this thread. But individual skill also isn't everything.

The big thing, when dealing with a multiplayer setup like this, is communication. The groups that don't communicate, or refuse to adapt to match their teammates, do poorly. The ones that are legitimately willing to work together will do well. This scenario is sort of a perfect storm: a goon team interested in working as a team, and one that also has the advantage of being Clan against a level one IS force that isn't particularly BV-matched as far as I can tell.

And in these sorts of scenarios, that's more important than overall skill. Being an awesome player in your standard one player vs. one player format is one thing, whether it's BV/tonnage matching, and whether it's an online league/campaign, in-person thing at the friendly local game store, or whatever. Coordinating with other players on the same team is a wholly different thing. You can't sacrifice units really (since everyone wants to survive), and instead of covering naturally for other units, you have to communicate and make sure everyone is aware of everything. The teamwork is the challenge, rather than just working the math. That's not to diminish the importance of the math, but merely to point out how important the coordination is.

So, long story short, you're right: it's unnecessary in a number of ways to bring back people who've already played. What's more important is coordination, communication and planning.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

While the idea of mucking about with the Mechwarrior list would make the waiting unbearable and be completely unfair, how does the idea of a special "MVPs vs. Pubs" match sound?

I'm not just talking about the players, I'm talking about the 'Mechs and Characters in a non-continuity exhibition match where it's a gigantic Goons v. Goons clusterfuck and all the fluff is Poptarts poking holes in the fourth wall with two RAC/5s and a Machinegun. Even better if PubCompany/Binary consisted entirely of silly gimmick 'Mechs and Mechwarriors with bilingual-punny names.

Of course, a larger game would take longer and it would be both hilarious and a shame if the biggest, longest match on record happened to be one that amounted to everyone just mucking about and leaving the historical timeline alone for a month.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

While the idea of mucking about with the Mechwarrior list would make the waiting unbearable and be completely unfair, how does the idea of a special "MVPs vs. Pubs" match sound?

I'm not just talking about the players, I'm talking about the 'Mechs and Characters in a non-continuity exhibition match where it's a gigantic Goons v. Goons clusterfuck and all the fluff is Poptarts poking holes in the fourth wall with two RAC/5s and a Machinegun. Even better if PubCompany/Binary consisted entirely of silly gimmick 'Mechs and Mechwarriors with bilingual-punny names.

Of course, a larger game would take longer and it would be both hilarious and a shame if the biggest, longest match on record happened to be one that amounted to everyone just mucking about and leaving the historical timeline alone for a month.

If it's a non-continuity battle with only canon special rules, you can simply do it in Megamek and task some guy to write up the AAR. That's a lot simpler than the scenario battles we're seeing here.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
PTN is not going to monkey with the waiting list. He's been a very patient game master and knows full well that a huge amount of goons follow the thread. And as a Battletech fan it is his duty to introduce as many new people as possible to the cruel fate of Battletech dice rolls.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Trast posted:

PTN is not going to monkey with the waiting list. He's been a very patient game master and knows full well that a huge amount of goons follow the thread. And as a Battletech fan it is his duty to introduce as many new people as possible to the cruel fate of Battletech dice rolls.

This is pretty much spot on. Everyone in the thread has the tools to succeed unless I make an egregious mistake (as I did with Nadir).

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Podima posted:

Yeah, that's the one thing I hope future groups learn from this one - it's really okay to ask questions and post your thoughts and moves in the thread to coordinate! I've been following this for a while and I truly don't understand why people didn't bother to do that before.

Hey, that's what I did last mission. I'd post in the thread what I intended, wait a few hours for people who understood BattleTech better to tell me if it was stupid, then send in my orders.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ouch, I think that's going to leave a mark.

Edit: Yeah. Yeah, that did it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 9, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

You magnificent bastard! :f5:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I guess the Phoenix Hawk randomly chose the optimal target (me) I hoped he would randomly not choose.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Nah, I probably found the other DEST unit. Ellias's Jackrabbit has been cleaved in twain by the power of the katana~ninja.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm guessing either DEST bastardry or a lucky PPC hit.

...or a well-thrown spear by a bird-man. :tinfoil:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Outfoxed: Tactical Update 7

Combat Phase
F1 Kit Fox
- Fires ER Large Laser at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 2 heavy woods - 1 targeting computer = 8): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (2/14 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at V3 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 secondary target = 7): rolled 8, 3 missiles hit Right Torso (9/18 armor remains), Left Leg (7/18 armor remains), Center Torso (6/26 armor remains)!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser at V3 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 secondary target - 1 targeting computer - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (3/23 armor remains)!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser at V3 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 secondary target - 1 targeting computer - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (6/18 armor remains)! Through-armor critical chance!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 20.

F2 Jenner IIC
- Fires Streak SRM-4 at V3 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 6): rolled 9, 2 missiles hit Center Torso (1/23 armor remains), Right Leg (1/18 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM 6 at V3 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires SRM 6 at V3 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 6): rolled 6, 4 missiles hit Center Torso (0/23 armor, 13/14 structure remains (Critical Chance!), Right Torso (4/18 armor remains), Right Torso (2/18 armor remains), Right Arm (0/10 armor remains)!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 20.

F3 Jackrabbit IIC
- Torso Twists to threaten hex 1305
- Fires ER Large Laser at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 7): rolled 12, hit Right Arm (0/10 armor, 4/6 structure remains)! Through-Armor Critical Chance!
- Gains 13 heat, sinks 20.

F4 Piranha 1
- Fires Machine Gun at D3 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 7): rolled 7, 7 troopers killed!
- Fires Machine Gun at D3 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 7): rolled 8, 7 troopers killed!
- Fires Machine Gun at D3 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 7): rolled 8, 1 trooper killed! Infantry destroyed!
- Fires Machine Gun at D3 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at D3 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 7): rolled 9, 0 troopers killed!
- Fires Machine Gun at D3 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 7): rolled 10, 0 troopers killed!
- Fires Machine Gun at D3 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 7): rolled 8, 0 troopers killed!
- Fires Machine Gun at D3 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at D3 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 7): rolled 6, 0 troopers killed!
- Fires Machine Gun at D3 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 7): rolled 7, 0 troopers killed!
- Fires Machine Gun at D3 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 7): rolled 8, 0 troopers killed!
- Fires Machine Gun at D3 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 7): rolled 7, 0 troopers killed!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 20.

F5 Piranha 2
- Fires Machine Gun at D2 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at D2 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 8): rolled 8, 12 troopers killed!
- Fires Machine Gun at D2 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at D2 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at D2 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 8): rolled 10, 3 troopers killed! Infantry destroyed!
- Fires Machine Gun at D2 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at D2 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 8): rolled 11, 0 troopers killed!
- Fires Machine Gun at D2 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at D2 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 8): rolled 9, 0 troopers killed!
- Fires Machine Gun at D2 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at D2 DEST Squad (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 DEST Armor = 8): rolled 8, 0 troopers killed!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 20.

V1 Panther
- Torso Twists to threaten hex 1106
- Fires PPC at F3 Jackrabbit IIC (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 minimum range = 7): rolled 11, hit Rear Right Torso (0/3 armor, 0/6 structure remains)! Torso Destroyed! Damage transfers to Rear Center Torso (1/4 armor remains)
- Fires SRM-4 at F3 Jackrabbit IIC (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 7, 4table missiles hit Right Leg (8/12 armor remains), Rear Center Torso (0/4 armor, 7/8 structure remains)! Critical Chance!

V3 Phoenix Hawk
- Attempts to attack F5 Piranha—no line of sight to target!
- Fires Large Laser at F3 Jackrabbit IIC (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 2 sensor hit = 8): rolled 7, miss!

D1 DEST Squad
- Fires SRMs at F2 Jenner IIC (2 base + 2 range + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (6/8 armor remains), Right Leg (4/8 armor remains), Right Arm (0/3 armor, 5/6 structure remains (Critical Chance!)), Right Torso (4/6 armor remains), Left Leg (6/8 armor remains), Right Torso (2/6 armor remains), Right Torso (0/6 armor remains), Head (4/7 armor remains (Pilot Hit!))!

D2 DEST Squad
- Fires LRMs at F3 Jackrabbit IIC (2 base + 0 range + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 4): rolled 12, hit Rear Right Torso Rear Center Torso (5/8 structure remains (Critical Chance!)), Rear Right Torso Rear Center Torso (3/8 structure remains (Critical Chance!)), Left Leg (10/12 armor remains)!

D3 DEST Squad
- Fire Ballistic Rifles at F4 Piranha (2 base + 0 range + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 4): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (6/8 armor remains (Through-Armor Critical Chance!), Center Torso (7/9 armor remains), Left Arm (0/6 armor, 2/3 structure remains (Critical Chance!)), Right Leg (4/6 armor remains)!

End Phase:
V1 Panther
- Through-armor critical chance in Right Arm! 1 critical hit sustained!
- PPC Destroyed!

V3 Phoenix Hawk
- Through-armor critical chance in Right Torso! 3 critical hits sustained!
- - Jump Jet destroyed!
- - Jump Jet destroyed!
- - Jump Jet destroyed!
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Guardian ECM destroyed!

F2 Jenner IIC
- Critical chance in Right Arm! Limb blown off!
- Pilot hit: must pass a 5+ consciousness test! Rolled 4, fails!
- F2 Jenner IIC falls in hex 1110! Suffers damage to Left Arm (0/3 armor remains)!
- Pilot hit!

F3 Jackrabbit IIC
- Critical chance in Center Torso! No critical hits sustained!
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Gyro hit!
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Engine hit!
- - Engine hit!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 8!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 2 movement + 3 gyro hit = 9): rolled 2, falls!
- Suffers damage to Center Torso (9/12 armor remains)!
- Attempts to avoid pilot damage (4 base + 2 movement + 3 gyro hit + 1 attempting to avoid pilot damage = 10): rolled 8, fails!
- Must pass a 3+ consciousness test! Rolled 5, succeeds!

F4 Piranha
- Through-armor critical chance in Left Torso! No critical hits sustained!
- Critical chance in Left Arm! No critical hits sustained!

Turn End Phase:
V1 Panther
- Garber Vost suffers from delusions (3+): rolled 10, remains stable!

V3 Phoenix Hawk
- Garber Vost suffers from delusions (7+): rolled 7, recovers!

“Bugs have been squashed,” Elfrede announced, the staccato of her chainguns blending into a noise that sounded more like tearing fabric than the yammer of a machinegun. Nioclas grunted a similar report a moment later, but Inari tuned it out as Elias’ Jackrabbit crested a rise.

“Mechwarrior Elias, what do you think you are do—” she began, then cringed as the Panther’s PPC caught the Jackrabbit square in the back. The beam’s ravening energies burned away the Jackrabbit’s minimal armor protection, then sputtered out in an instant as the Jackrabbit’s large laser cored the PPC’s capacitor. Inari bit her lip, stifling an angry reply—Elias had just eliminated the enemy’s most powerful weapon, but her anger grew as his own ‘Mech collapsed, right arm tumbling away into the treeline.

“Stravag!” she cursed. The Jackrabbit was half of her star’s long-range firepower, losing it would be a far greater cost than the resources required to build another. “Freebirths, pay attention to what—”

Salah’s Jenner crossed through her crosshairs, firing away with his SRMs as he ran. “Look out!” she shouted as the white corkscrew contrails of SRMs burst from the hedges beneath the enemy Phoenix Hawk. Armored glass flew as one of the missiles struck the Jenner’s cockpit. It crumpled like a rag doll, landing so heavily on its left arm that Inari would be shocked if it hadn’t suffered some frame or actuator damage.

Enraged, she dropped her crosshairs over both enemy ‘Mechs and left fly, her pulse lasers chewing deeply into the Phoenix Hawk’s torso even as her large laser struck the enemy Panther square in the chest. Another hit like that, and she’d finish it.

“EnInf advancing,” she growled into the comms. “Elfrede, Nioclas—would either of you care to give them a quick death?”

Enemy Forces / Next Turn’s Movement:
V1 Panther initiates Death From Above attack on F3 Jackrabbit IIC, jumps to hex 1204! Currently in hex 1105!
V3 Phoenix Hawk walks to hex 1010!
D1 DEST Squad 1 moves to hex 0909!

Mission Objectives
Defeat all enemy units (5/8 completed!)

F1 Kit Fox (Prime)
Weight: 30 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 11/11 (7/7)
LT R A(S): 3/3
CT A(S): 5/15 (10/10)
CT R A(S): 5/5
RT A(S): 11/11 (7/7)
RT R A(S): 3/3
LA A(S): 10/10 (5/5)
RA A(S): 10/10 (5/5)
LL A(S): 14/14 (7/7)
RL A(S): 14/14 (7/7)
Heat: 2/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 10(20)
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Name: Star Commander Inari
Mechwarrior Player: Mary Annette
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
ER Large Laser – LA (Heat: 12, Range: (L:25 M:15 S:8), Status: OK!)
Small Pulse Laser – LA (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Small Pulse Laser – LA (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Streak SRM-6 – RA (Heat: 4, Ammo: 14, Range: (L:12 M:8 S:4), Status: OK!)
A-Pod – RL (Ammo: 1, Status: OK!)
A-Pod – LL (Ammo: 1, Status: OK!)
Active Probe – RT (Status: OK!)
ER Small Laser (Rear) – LT(Rear) (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Targeting Computer – LT (Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 1 hand (right)

F2 Jenner IIC
Weight: 35 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 4/7 (3/3)
LT A(S): 2/6 (8/8)
CT A(S): 13/13 (11/11)
CT R A(S): 7/7
RT A(S): 4/6 (8/8)
RT R A(S): 3/3
LA A(S): 0/3 (6/6)
RA A(S): 0/3 (5/6)
LL A(S): 6/8 (8/8)
RL A(S): 4/8 (8/8)
Heat: 0/30
Movement: 9/14/7
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Salah
Mechwarrior Player: A good poster
Mechwarrior Status: Concussion, Major headwound (7+)!
Armament:
SRM 6 – RA (Heat: 4, Ammo: 20, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: Blown off!)
SRM 6 – LA (Heat: 4, Ammo: -, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Streak SRM-4 – CT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 21, Range: (L:12 M:8 S:4), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: Right Arm Blown Off!
Notes: no hands or arm actuators

F3 Jackrabbit IIC
Weight: 25 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 9/9 (6/6)
CT A(S): 9/12 (7/8)
CT R A(S): 0/4
RT A(S): 9/9 (0/6)
RT R A(S): 0/3
LA A(S): 8/8 (4/4)
RA A(S): 6/8 (4/4)
LL A(S): 10/12 (6/6)
RL A(S): 8/12 (6/6)
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Elias
Mechwarrior Player: Octatonic
Mechwarrior Status: Sprained back (3+)!
Armament:
ER Large Laser – RA (Heat: 12, Range: (L:25 M:15 S:8), Status: Blown Off!)
Streak SRM-4 – LA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 23, Range: (L:12 M:8 S:4), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: Right Torso Destroyed! Right Arm Blown Off!
Notes: no hands

F4 Piranha 1
Weight: 20 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 6/8 (3/3)
LT A(S): 6/8 (5/5)
LT R A(S): 2/2
CT A(S): 7/9 (6/6)
CT R A(S): 3/3
RT A(S): 6/8 (5/5)
RT R A(S): 2/2
LA A(S): 1/6 (3/3)
RA A(S): 6/6 (3/3)
LL A(S): 4/6 (4/4)
RL A(S): 4/6 (4/4)
Movement: 9/14/0
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Elfrede
Mechwarrior Player: Hauki
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
ER Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 5, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
ER Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 5, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – RT (Heat: 0, Ammo: 152, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – RT (Heat: 0, Ammo: -, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – LT (Heat: 0, Ammo: -, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
ER Small Laser – CT (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands

F5 Piranha 2
HD A(S): 8/8 (3/3)
LT A(S): 6/8 (5/5)
LT R A(S): 2/2
CT A(S): 5/9 (6/6)
CT R A(S): 3/3
RT A(S): 6/8 (5/5)
RT R A(S): 2/2
LA A(S): 2/6 (3/3)
RA A(S): 4/6 (3/3)
LL A(S): 6/6 (4/4)
RL A(S): 6/6 (4/4)
Movement: 9/14/0
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Nioclas
Mechwarrior Player: Dolash
Mechwarrior Status: Infected!
Armament:
ER Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 5, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
ER Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 5, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – RT (Heat: 0, Ammo: 152, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
ER Small Laser – CT (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands

Enemy Status

V1 Panther PNT-9R
Weight: 35 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 2
Mechwarrior Name: Garber Vost
Mechwarrior Status: Delusional (3+)!
Armament: SRM-4
Critical Damage: PPC Destroyed!
Notes:

V2 Javelin JVN-10N
Weight: 30 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Name: Kendall Pesht
Mechwarrior Status: Killed!
Notes: Counts as rough terrain!

V3 Phoenix Hawk PXH-2
Weight: 45 tons (Medium)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Brian Seagroves
Mechwarrior Status: Delusional (3+)!
Armament: 1 Large Laser, 2 Medium Lasers
Critical Damage: 4 Jump Jets hit, Guardian ECM destroyed!
Notes:

V4 Locust LCT-3V
Mechwarrior Name: Holly Goodall (really?)
Mechwarrior Status: Shrapnel Wound, Delusional (7+)!

V5 Locust LCT-3V
Mechwarrior Name: Collis Brank
Mechwarrior Status: Killed!

D1 DEST Team 6654
Platoon(30/30) Sho-sa Yubari Takuda
Type: Infantry
Notes: ‘Ninja Ambush’ special rule, unit is undetectable until it attacks. ‘Lone Ninja’ special rule: this squad’s minimum damage is always ‘2’ even if it would normally be lower.

D2 DEST Team 6654
Platoon(0/15)
Notes: KIA

D3 DEST Team 6654
Platoon(0/15)
Notes: KIA

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Octatonic posted:

Ellias's Jackrabbit has been cleaved in twain

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm guessing either DEST bastardry or a lucky PPC hit.

Yes.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I knew that was trying something too fancy! Die and learn I guess. At least I got the PPC. :shobon:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's the risk you take when you show anyone your back in this game. Unless they're a stick-up-the-rear end more honorable than a Klingon clanner, they will not hesitate to shoot you where you're weakest.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Looks like it's time for a crit-seeker to ruin that Phoenix Hawk's day.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Yeah, I think I wasn't really thinking about facing very well, or maybe thinking too much like the video games! I was playing okay up until this point. I suppose there's an off chance I can survive being crushed and live to see Elias moved to an even worse assignment than this one! :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Octatonic posted:

Yeah, I think I wasn't really thinking about facing very well, or maybe thinking too much like the video games! I was playing okay up until this point. I suppose there's an off chance I can survive being crushed and live to see Elias moved to an even worse assignment than this one :v:

Your teammates could shoot down the Panther before the physical phase. It'd take, oh... 20+ damage and a failed piloting test, but it's possible.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Well, at least you got the PPC. Take out the Panther before his DFA goes through and you should be ok. One of the Piranhas can take out the remaining DEST squad, or at least whittle it down to almost nothing, while the other and the Kit Fox burn the Panther from the skies. Then all you'll have to deal with is the Phoenix Hawk with no sensors but decent firepower.

/\/\/\ EDIT: drat, it'll take that much to prevent the Panther from completing its DFA? Guess the Jackrabbit is toast either way...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 9, 2011

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Enemy Forces / Next Turn’s Movement:
V1 Panther initiates Death From Above attack on F3 Jackrabbit IIC, jumps to hex 1204! Currently in hex 1105!

Oh dear.

That DEST elite unit is scary...

Edit: I'm an idiot nevermind.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 9, 2011

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Salah neeeeeeeeeeeeg!

Asking publicly instead of by PM because I think the Piranhas need to know also: If the Kit Fox were to enter 0909 and be all like, "A-pod calling!" ;-*, would it be at risk of friendly fire from other units targeting D1?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mary Annette posted:

Salah neeeeeeeeeeeeg!

Asking publicly instead of by PM because I think the Piranhas need to know also: If the Kit Fox were to enter 0909 and be all like, "A-pod calling!" ;-*, would it be at risk of friendly fire from other units targeting D1?

No, you're not at risk for friendly fire.

You'd be better off shoting the infantry with your Small Pulse Lasers since they do the same damage as a machine gun and don't require you to be in the same hex. A-Pods really are best as an anti-swarm and anti-leg attack device. Still, goading the enemy into a swarm or leg attack is usually a poor choice.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm in favor of this as long as I get to bring my skyscraper with me.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Welp.

Looks like my two major options are a) blow my wad on V1 (Panther) - I'm easily in range to get perfect position for that and alpha - or b) run to 1007? and rain hell on D1 while taking a couple potshots at V3 with my lasers.

edit: seems more worthwhile to go with b), V1 is by far the lesser threat at this point I think (outside of DFA, heh).

Hauki fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 9, 2011

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

WELP, that was painful.

This is why you concentrate fire; odds are you could have completely killed either the panther or phoenix hawk last turn. Still, that's how the game goes.

Fortunately the panther's not as much of a threat anymore. DFA's from 35 tons mechs should only do what, 10-ish damage? Maybe 14? As long as you don't take a head hit you might survive. Except that the Phoenix Hawk is going to be shooting at you, and whatever DEST teams are in range......

I think we might not be able to have a flawless victory here. At least this match is more than winnable.

::EDIT:: If both piranhas point-blank shoot that panther, you should be able to crush it. It's got a relatively low movement modifier for this turn (2, I believe), some cover (I can't tell if there are forests in the Panther's current hex), but you can either stay still or only walk to get to an adjacent hex, and 12 MG's will let you dish out some serious damage.

You'll be hitting on (3 gun + 2 target movement + (1, walking, or 0, staying stationary) + 0 range) 5's or 6's. That's 18-20 MG's on average = 36-40 damage. Add your lasers, and you're up to 45-60 damage, with average rolling. That's half the Panther's entire ordinary armor load. Given that it's already suffered a fair bit of frontal armor damage, you have good chances to roll a TAC, kill it, or crit something PSR-related.

Translation: Focus fire on the panther and the Jackrabbit will be okay. It might even be worth having the kit fox target the Phoenix Hawk, but I'm leery of splitting fire.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 9, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Next turn should end the battle, but that was a painful round. Remember: The Clans abhor wastefulness!

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Here's how I see it: V1 is a threat to the Jackrabbit and the Jackrabbit only, since a DFA prevents him from firing at anything else. Dolash, you've got a decent chance of forcing that piloting check all by yourself if you stand still and let loose with everything you've got. Seriously, I think you hit on 4 or better, 5 tops.

That leaves Hauki to run up on D1 (I think you can reach 1008 or 1009 for a better shot) and me to try and finish the P-Hawk. I'm with Knox, it's hero time, let's go for the knockout blow!

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 9, 2011

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Talk about watering the lawn with blood--those DEST troopers are gonna get it next turn and it is gonna be bloody!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Understood. Hauki, eat up that DEST team. V1 is mine. Don't know if I can realistically kill it in one, though, if you're interested in contributing Mary. The Phoenix Hawk is still in pretty decent shape, I don't think you can kill it in one (but hey, maybe you can).

Also, I'm not great with the modifiers, can someone crunch the numbers for me on whether it's better to stay in my square and fire on F3's rear armour by turning, or walk up to 1105 and then unload?

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Dolash posted:

Understood. Hauki, eat up that DEST team. V1 is mine. Don't know if I can realistically kill it in one, though, if you're interested in contributing Mary. The Phoenix Hawk is still in pretty decent shape, I don't think you can kill it in one (but hey, maybe you can).

Also, I'm not great with the modifiers, can someone crunch the numbers for me on whether it's better to stay in my square and fire on F3's rear armour by turning, or walk up to 1105 and then unload?

F3 is our Jackrabbit, V1 is the Panther, and he is 'in' 1105 until the DFA resolves. I'd just torso twist to your left and let fly. Nothing should be shooting at you this turn.

The Phoenix Hawk is holed in multiple spots and he's taken multiple headshots. If my SRMs hit, there's a good chance he's hosed beyond hope.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Both turning and moving to another square are walking, and will impose the same penalty (+1). If you stay in the hex and do not turn, you can twist your torso in the shooting phase, which will let you hit him. I don't know if DFAs count the target mech as being in the hex displayed (i.e. 1105, one before where they'd land on a successful DFA) or instead count in their destination hex (1304).

If the Panther is in 1105, stay still, twist your torso, and you can fire with no range or movement penalties. If the Panther counts in 1304, move to 1105 or 1205 (both should be walkable). Walking is a +1, while a 2-range shot with a machinegun is at medium range, or a +2, so you'll be better off walking to be adjacent.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Oh my, that was not a pretty turn at all. But please try to save your wounded teammate at all costs! :ohdear:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
So, uh, my only option this turn is "attempt to roll a 7+ at the next end phase just to regain consciousness and pray V3 doesn't use this -2 TMM opportunity to laser my rear end off," right?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Gimmick Account posted:

Oh my, that was not a pretty turn at all. But please try to save your wounded teammate at all costs! :ohdear:

The Battletech dice gods are fickle in their favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Trast posted:

The Battletech dice gods are fickle in their favor.

All dice gods are fickle. Just ask 'Nuffle.'

• Locked thread