Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

So how are we coming along update-wise?

I've had some real-life concerns that've delayed me. I should be able to finish it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

As a DS9 fan that avatar makes everything you post sound menacing. Normally that would be totally innocuous but that avatar makes the think you couldn't update because you were busy eliminating threats to your power or something.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

That's not a BattleMech platoon, or even a mechanized platoon, that's a regular infantry platoon with no mechanisation (not even Humvees). The nearest Mech is in Paris - and I'm making some very aggressive assumptions about how small the planet is (20% less land area than earth), how big infantry platoons are (25% larger than today), and how many logistics/support troops are in 5 infantry, 2 armored and 1 mech regiment (none, which is absurd).

You might run into serious trouble just hijacking civilian transport and plowing down the highway to Belfast, it would be prime for an ambush.

I reckon battletech works much better if you divide all the populations by 10 and increase the force sizes by an order of magnitude. Then instead of 3 billion people being defended by 8 regiments, we have 300 million people being defended by 8 divisions, which feels about right.
Ah, right. Fair enough if you're putting that kind of restriction on them. IRL Ireland is defended by about 10 regiments worth of conventional infantry (because Battletech regiments work out at only about 800 dudes) counting all the cooks and poo poo. In terms of transport it's really really easy to get them from point A to B within a maximum of six hours travel time. Using Battletech logic Ireland is probably significantly over-defended for a planet, but hey, we've got Uranium so....

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

A Battletech infantry regiment is about 3,024 guys.

4 platoons of 28 guys is a lance (112)
3 lances of 112 guys is a company (336)
3 companies of 336 guys is a Battalion (1008)
3 battalions of 1008 guys is a regiment (3024)

Of course there could be some increases/decreases to this due to command groups, attached assets, etc.

An RCT, for example, tends to break down as 1 Regiment of Mechs, 3 of Vehicles, and 5 of Infantry. They use a lot of command lances/companies, so a Regiment is closer to 120 units, not 108.

Combat-wise that means they have:

108-120 (maybe more, some are reinforced) Mechs
324-360 vehicles (Maybe about 1400 crew)
15120-16800 combat infantry

Which does not include any support personnel. Figure maybe 2-3 techs per Mech, 1-2 per vehicle, and various support individuals for the infantry and the population as a whole, giving a overall personnel count into the 30,000 range.

Not big by any means, but it's one of those things about force multipliers, you need less to do more. Now if they went too far into the 'less' category is up to opinion.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 20, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Recalculate your numbers by replacing "Lance" with "Platoon". Infantry don't use Lances, and their TO&E has the same number of steps as a Mech or Vehicle unit.

Techs, BTW, are 1 per mech, with a team of five-ish Astechs to lug around heavy parts and pass the number 6 hydrospanner.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

A good poster posted:

Poptarts is obviously too broken up over the loss of Mechwarrior Salah to go on.

Why would anyone be broken up over the loss of Mechwarrior Salah? I thought dying gloriously in battle was something Clan society looked forward to.

Or does this not count since Salah was a lowly freebirth and his opponents were dezgra scum?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

W.T. Fits posted:

Why would anyone be broken up over the loss of Mechwarrior Salah? I thought dying gloriously in battle was something Clan society looked forward to.

Or does this not count since Salah was a lowly freebirth and his opponents were dezgra scum?

Since the Clans abhor waste, I guess you construe it as wasteful. But I'm sure there are plenty of trueborn asshats that would not bat an eye at the death of a freebirth.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've had some real-life concerns that've delayed me. I should be able to finish it tomorrow.

I hope everything is okay PTN.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The whole ritualized combat aspect of the setting, and its effects, is one of those really goofy but interesting things about Battletech.

The Ares Conventions really, really, really hosed up the people of the Inner Sphere in strange ways.

Actually I really like how in one of the more recent core rulebooks, Strategic Operations I think, they address how basically no one in the Inner Sphere or Periphery really follows the Ares Conventions, and haven't since they were suspended during the Reunification War. In some cases, like the Taurians, they never were a signatory in the first place.

The SLDF during the Reunification War up until the Fall of the League followed total war tactics and strategy (which would bite them during the Pentagon Civil War), and the Ares Conventions are basically paid little more than lip service.

The only reason that anybody in the early 31st followed limited war was because they were afraid of losing the few bits of lostech they had, not out of anything that was in a piece of paper that nobody paid attention to for in nearly five hundred years.

That being said, I like how the fiction moved into the realm of showing how absolutely destructive warfare was increasingly seen as a "ehhhh, it's worth it" option by the Successor States in the 3060s, then we have the Jihad and all sorts of bad news.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Holybat posted:

Actually I really like how in one of the more recent core rulebooks, Strategic Operations I think, they address how basically no one in the Inner Sphere or Periphery really follows the Ares Conventions, and haven't since they were suspended during the Reunification War. In some cases, like the Taurians, they never were a signatory in the first place.

The SLDF during the Reunification War up until the Fall of the League followed total war tactics and strategy (which would bite them during the Pentagon Civil War), and the Ares Conventions are basically paid little more than lip service.

The only reason that anybody in the early 31st followed limited war was because they were afraid of losing the few bits of lostech they had, not out of anything that was in a piece of paper that nobody paid attention to for in nearly five hundred years.

That being said, I like how the fiction moved into the realm of showing how absolutely destructive warfare was increasingly seen as a "ehhhh, it's worth it" option by the Successor States in the 3060s, then we have the Jihad and all sorts of bad news.

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't the Age of War been a better setting for the game in the first place? Having the Ares Conventions be in place would let you neatly answer questions like "why don't you nuke them?" and would make the actions of the actual players much more important, since your company sized battle might actually win you a whole planet!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

bunnyofdoom posted:

I hope everything is okay PTN.

Just more job hunting. Not a big deal, but time consuming.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hopefully interviews with companies who want to throw money at you, and you have to decide if the one with the monthly spa trips or the season tickets is better.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

god luck!

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Bring those (un)lucky dice of yours hidden in a pocket. The worst that could happen is you sit down and roll an ammo breach and have to buy a new pair of pants, but all you need is one TAC headshot and the interviewer gets knocked unconscious, and by the time he wakes up you're filling out your W-4 and you've chosen the sexy intern you met on the way in to be your bondsman.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Good lord Hauki, the dice gods hate you.

We need to have an intervention, I think. Does anyone have any incense?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Good lord Hauki, the dice gods hate you.

We need to have an intervention, I think. Does anyone have any incense?

Quick guess: Either the Panther's SRMs all found his mech's head, or the not-bird warriors are having some fun.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I'm hoping for a more benign "needed a 4 to hit and rolled straight snake-eyes"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Outfoxed: Tactical Update 9

Combat Phase
F1 Kit Fox
- Fires ER Large Laser at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (0/10 armor, 1/7 structure remains)! Critical Chance!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 3, Streak SRM-6 fails to achieve lock!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser at V1 Panther (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 1 targeting computer - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 6, hit Right Leg (1/12 armor remains)!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser at V1 Panther (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 1 targeting computer - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 8, Center Torso (0/14 armor, 10/11 structure remains)!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 20.

F2 Jenner IIC
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20.

F3 Jackrabbit IIC
- Fires Streak SRM-4 at V1 Panther (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 9, 4 missiles hit Center Torso (8/11 structure remains (Critical Chance)), Right Torso (0/8 structure remains) Torso destroyed, damage transfers to center torso (7/11 structure remains (Critical Chance)), Center Torso (5/11 structure remains (Critical Chance)), Center Torso (3/11 structure remains (Critical Chance))!
- Gains 13 heat, sinks 20.

F4 Piranha 1
- Fires ER Medium Laser at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires ER Small Laser at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires ER Machine Gun at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires ER Machine Gun at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Machine Gun at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires ER Machine Gun at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Machine Gun at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 9, hit Left Torso (0/10 structure remaining)! Damage transfers to center torso 2/11 structure remains! Critical Chance!
- Fires ER Machine Gun at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER Machine Gun at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Machine Gun at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires ER Machine Gun at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Machine Gun at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 8, hit Head (7/9 armor remains)! Pilot hit!

F5 Piranha 2
- Fires ER Medium Laser at V1 Panther (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 7, hit Right Center Torso (0/11 structure remains)! ‘mech destroyed!

The Panther was doomed. The drab olive-green ‘mech seemed to linger in the air as it leapt in a slow parabola. To Inari’s honed senses, it was almost like the pilot was asking to be killed. Perhaps he expected to be allowed to surrender. Her star opened fire simultaneously.

Myomer parted and the Panther’s steel skeleton glowed white-hot, then parted as the Panther’s chest simply disintegrated under the onslaught. An involuntary smile of vague satisfaction crossed Inari’s face as the Panther’s wedge-shaped cockpit spiraled through the air trailing smoke and bits of the bandit’s inner workings. Its legs simply plummeted into the forest below it, along with what little her star hadn’t vaporized.

“Star Commander,” Nioclas announced after a few moments of satisfied silence, “I do not feel well.”

“I need medical attention also,” Elfrede echoed quietly. “I am in no immediate danger, but I do not trust my first-aid to be sufficient for long.”

“We will return to base,” Inari agreed quietly, letting her gaze linger on Salah’s fallen Jenner. He’d been the oldest member of the Star, had survived countless battles with the Jade Falcons and others. He had not lived to face his final duty in a Solamha unit, or a quiet retirement as a merchant-caste bodyguard. She saluted his final resting place in silence for a few moments, and contemplated what the final entry in his codex should be.

With the flip of a switch, she broadcast, “Mechwarrior Salah has fallen. He fought bravely, defending his Clan to the last. His heroic sacrifice was not in vain, and will be remembered.”

The transmission ended with a soft hiss of static. When her time came, she hoped her own end would be as brave.

Enemy Forces / Next Turn’s Movement:

Mission Objectives
Defeat all enemy units (completed!)

F1 Kit Fox (Prime)
Weight: 30 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 11/11 (7/7)
LT R A(S): 3/3
CT A(S): 5/15 (10/10)
CT R A(S): 5/5
RT A(S): 11/11 (7/7)
RT R A(S): 3/3
LA A(S): 10/10 (5/5)
RA A(S): 10/10 (5/5)
LL A(S): 14/14 (7/7)
RL A(S): 14/14 (7/7)
Heat: 2/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 10(20)
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Name: Star Commander Inari
Mechwarrior Player: Mary Annette
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
ER Large Laser – LA (Heat: 12, Range: (L:25 M:15 S:8), Status: OK!)
Small Pulse Laser – LA (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Small Pulse Laser – LA (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Streak SRM-6 – RA (Heat: 4, Ammo: 13, Range: (L:12 M:8 S:4), Status: OK!)
A-Pod – RL (Ammo: 1, Status: OK!)
A-Pod – LL (Ammo: 1, Status: OK!)
Active Probe – RT (Status: OK!)
ER Small Laser (Rear) – LT(Rear) (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Targeting Computer – LT (Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 1 hand (right)

F2 Jenner IIC
Weight: 35 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Salah
Mechwarrior Player: A good poster
Mechwarrior Status: Killed in Action!
Critical Damage: Right Arm Blown Off! Head destroyed!
Notes: counts as rough terrain!

F3 Jackrabbit IIC
Weight: 25 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 9/9 (6/6)
LT R A(S): 3/3
CT A(S): 9/12 (7/8)
CT R A(S): 0/4
RT A(S): 9/9 (0/6)
RT R A(S): 0/3
LA A(S): 8/8 (4/4)
RA A(S): 6/8 (4/4)
LL A(S): 10/12 (6/6)
RL A(S): 8/12 (6/6)
Heat: 0/30
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Elias
Mechwarrior Player: Octatonic
Mechwarrior Status: Sprained back (3+)!
Armament:
ER Large Laser – RA (Heat: 12, Range: (L:25 M:15 S:8), Status: Blown Off!)
Streak SRM-4 – LA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 23, Range: (L:12 M:8 S:4), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: Right Torso Destroyed! Right Arm Blown Off!
Notes: no hands

F4 Piranha 1
Weight: 20 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 4/8 (3/3)
LT A(S): 2/8 (5/5)
LT R A(S): 2/2
CT A(S): 7/9 (6/6)
CT R A(S): 3/3
RT A(S): 6/8 (5/5)
RT R A(S): 2/2
LA A(S): 1/6 (3/3)
RA A(S): 2/6 (3/3)
LL A(S): 2/6 (3/4)
RL A(S): 4/6 (4/4)
Movement: 9/14/0
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Elfrede
Mechwarrior Player: Hauki
Mechwarrior Status: Shrapnel wounds (5+)!
Armament:
ER Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 5, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
ER Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 5, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – RT (Heat: 0, Ammo: 141, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – RT (Heat: 0, Ammo: -, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – LT (Heat: 0, Ammo: -, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
ER Small Laser – CT (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands

F5 Piranha 2
HD A(S): 8/8 (3/3)
LT A(S): 4/8 (5/5)
LT R A(S): 2/2
CT A(S): 5/9 (6/6)
CT R A(S): 3/3
RT A(S): 6/8 (5/5)
RT R A(S): 2/2
LA A(S): 0/6 (3/3)
RA A(S): 2/6 (3/3)
LL A(S): 6/6 (4/4)
RL A(S): 6/6 (4/4)
Movement: 9/14/0
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Nioclas
Mechwarrior Player: Dolash
Mechwarrior Status: Infected!
Armament:
ER Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 5, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
ER Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 5, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – RT (Heat: 0, Ammo: 141, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
ER Small Laser – CT (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands

Enemy Status

V1 Panther PNT-9R
Weight: 35 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 2
Mechwarrior Name: Garber Vost
Mechwarrior Status: Delusional (3+)!
Armament: SRM-4
Critical Damage: PPC Destroyed!
Notes:

V2 Javelin JVN-10N
Weight: 30 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Name: Kendall Pesht
Mechwarrior Status: Killed!
Notes: Counts as rough terrain!

V3 Phoenix Hawk PXH-2
Weight: 45 tons (Medium)
Mechwarrior Name: Brian Seagroves

V4 Locust LCT-3V
Mechwarrior Name: Holly Goodall (really?)
Mechwarrior Status: Shrapnel Wound, Delusional (7+)!

V5 Locust LCT-3V
Mechwarrior Name: Collis Brank

D1 DEST Team 6654
Platoon(0/30) Sho-sa Yubari Takuda
Type: Infantry
Notes: KIA

D2 DEST Team 6654
Platoon(0/15)

D3 DEST Team 6654
Platoon(0/15)

After-Action Report:
Well, this went pretty much how I expected. Light ‘Mechs are fragile, but the Inner Sphere ‘Mechs had a slight toughness advantage while the Clanners had a definite firepower advantage. Solid performances from the goons involved, but I gave you all the reasources you'd need to handle this fight. Still, you guys get my kudos for excellent planning and execution. Also, the infection will remain a mystery for now.

The next vote will be soon, but first we need to do our MVP votes. We’ll see if anyone can make convincing arguments for the Draconis Combine Mercs, or if you just vote for the guy who died first.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 22, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Player MVP: The Kit Fox
OpFor MVP: The Phoenix Hawk

The Spheroids were seriously outgunned, but I gotta give credit to the hero who removed one foul clanner from the Inner Sphere. Seyla, bitch.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

KnoxZone posted:

Player MVP: The Kit Fox
OpFor MVP: The Phoenix Hawk

The Spheroids were seriously outgunned, but I gotta give credit to the hero who removed one foul clanner from the Inner Sphere.

I agree with these

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Sea Fox MVP Constatin Assembly Plant M27 A-E on Priori, manufacturer of the Pirahna Battlemech.
Kurtia MVP Brian Seagroves, pilot of the Phoenix Hawk

I have to agree with the feeling that the bandit scum were outgunned, but I had fun playing. I'd also like to compliment the encounter design, PTN. Even though the map was much smaller, all of the hills and trees gave everyone a lot of interesting tactical options.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Player MVP: I have to vote for the pair of Pirhanas, for being super-effective with their machine guns.

OpFor MVP: I dunno, I wasn't impressed with any of them in particular - the one clan mech that got destroyed did so more due to poor maneuvering than any heroic actions by the dracs - but I guess I can vote for the phoenix hawk. I guess.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
I want to say Kit Fox for Clan MVP, but the Piranhas took care of the DEST Squads that could have been a big problem.

Clan MVP: the Piranhas
Far COuntry MVP: Phoenix Hawk

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Clan MVP: Kit Fox
Sphere MVP: Phoenix Hawk.

Solid engagement all around and after the brutal fight that was the last few missions it was a nice cooldown.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I have to agree on The Pirhanas.
MVP for the Far Country Fodder is the DEST squads: The merest hint of their existence modified Goonlance's strategy from the outset.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Three mech kills, a Dest squad wiped out, and two prisoners left alive. If Nioclas wasn't suffering from a mysterious infection I'd say I'd done right by my character, here's hoping his codex isn't marred by a disgraceful illness. Still, good team effort everyone, it was a pleasure to play with you and I'm pumped I got to ride around in a Piranha, my first choice for mechs.

I don't recall if players pick MVPs, but for my side I'd say Star Commander Inari in the Kit Fox, her leadership skills alone earned it. Amongst the enemy, I have to give credit to the Dest for having me worry the whole game. They may not have been that damaging, but really none of the enemy forces wer (one lucky headshot aside).

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
Clan MVP: Piranha
Far Country MVP: The Space Plague!

(or whatever the "infection" is. I'm still hoping that it's a communicable 'disease' anyone or anything that touches an object From-Another-Time! gets which is the pull of mass imbalance in the future attempting to suck some matter into The-Future! to balance your basic thermodynamic principles. The delusions are caused by your matter being in two space-time-points at once each attempting to hold on/or drag you in until eventually you stop existing in your "normal" universe and wind up in the future the time travelers left.)

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Good work all around, goons. I agree that we had the firepower advantage, but another big factor was that our good luck (oneshotting that 1-gunnery Locust) arrived well ahead of our bad luck (Salah getting knocked out and headcapped).

If player votes count for MVP, mine go to Nioclas(Dolash) and the DEST squads.

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 21, 2011

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Mysterious space diseases are bad news. It's a good thing I just got my flu shot.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
My MVPs are Star Commander Inari, in the Kit Fox, with the Laser and the Phoenix Hawk for being the only one of its wretched lance to be worthy of fighting the children of Kerensky.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I like to imagine that this involves elaborate plans to conspire with a dude to kill his boss, double cross the dude to his boss, and then triple cross the boss and take that job. Somehow in the context of a brutal occupation. Also, despite horrible crimes, PoptartsNinja becomes one of the most interesting, deep, and sympathetic characters.

Say, that's an interesting thought from a storyline point of view. If BattleTech had good writing, could you have a Clan Gul Dukat?

In less irrelevant posting:
MVP Player: Kit Fox
MVP Opfor: Phoenix Hawk

Infection Prediction: The Peter Rice complex:
(1/4) Chance affected unit is overcome by a longwinded and irrelevant side plot. Unit can not act in upcoming campaign event.
(1/12) Chance affected unit returns from plot twist with bizarre and nonsensical deus ex machina that contradicts the spirit and letter of established Battletech narrative tradition. Deus ex machina reveals in next campaign event.

Centurium fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 21, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Centurium posted:

Say, that's an interesting thought from a storyline point of view. If BattleTech had good writing, could you have a Clan Gul Dukat?

Wow. That's the most horrifying thing I can imagine.

An entire Clan devoted to the ideals of treachery and deceit, inspired by the most ruthless dark messiah of all time, and I'm including Jerome Blake in that...

Probably a good thing that the Clans despise the ideals of treachery and deceit. Clan Dukat would probably have conquered everything by now.

As for MVPs...

On the side of Clan Sea Troll, I'm torn between those Murderfish and the Kit Fox with its cERLL.

Ah...

I'll vote for the Kit Fox and the Clan Extended-Range Large Laser as the Goonstar MVP.

As for the Op4 MVP, it's not a contest. Their MVP was the ninja.

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 21, 2011

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Octatonic posted:

Sea Fox MVP Constatin Assembly Plant M27 A-E on Priori, manufacturer of the Pirahna Battlemech.
Kurtia MVP Brian Seagroves, pilot of the Phoenix Hawk

Yup, same vote here. The Phoenix Hawk took a ridiculous number of crits before falling. It drew enough fire for the DEST squads to swing into position and do what damage they could.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

An entire Clan devoted to the ideals of treachery and deceit, inspired by the most ruthless dark messiah of all time, and I'm including Jerome Blake in that...

I thought that was the inner sphere? :D

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Piranhas and Phoenix Hawk.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Piranhas as co-MVPs for the Clanners. Inari did great work, but those little murder machines took the day.

DEST squads as Kuritan MVPs. Yes, the Phoenix Hawk actually got a kill while the ninjas were pretty pathetic throughout, but consider that the very notion of their existence altered the Clanners' tactics throughout the battle. Had the DEST squads not been sneaking about the fight would have been even shorter because Goonstar could have taken even further advantage of their mobility than they did; the possibility of Ninja Ambush prevented the kind of slashing tactics that light 'mechs generally excel at and allowed the Kuritans to dictate the engagement's terms far more effectively than they, by rights, should have been able to.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Voting DEST Squads as IS MVPs. They were far more of a threat-in-being than a threat in actuality, but a threat-in-being can be an incredible tool anyways.

It's like the Demolisher or King Crab. It's likely never to get to fire those twin AC20s, but that's because nobody's going to ever willingly get within 9 hexes of it, which you can take immense advantage of.

The DEST forced the Clanners to move cautiously and in the open, which meant the fight took way longer than it would have if they hadn't been there.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

On the clan side, the Piranhas showed me how dangerous some machine gun-dedicated mechs can be. Gonna have to MPV those guys.

As for the IS, the Phoenix Hawk gets my vote, with the DEST as an honorable mention. Ultimately what matters is who got the kills, and the Phoenix Hawk delivered.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I thought that was the inner sphere? :D

The only man the Inner Sphere ever produced who could give Gul Dukat a run for his money in those fields was Hanse Davion. The only man who could match his ambition? Stefan Amaris. The only woman who could match his religious craziness? Kali Liao.

And I'm willing to bet that Dukat could teach Hanse something or two about duplicity... Granted, The Fox might have something to teach him, too, so it would be more like swapping tips than a schooling, but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Clan MVP: MACHINE GUNS

Best of the IS: Though pulped by MACHINE GUNS, the DEST are the bets. Because they are the guys who put their boots on in the morning, sling an Inferno launcher on their back, and go fight 30 foot tall robots while wearing black pajamas.

• Locked thread