Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
This is why I should wait a bit before voting cause I suddenly want to change my vote from C to G. Curse you awesome operation name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Der Waffle Mous posted:

For people who aren't into the universe, Uncle Chandy's whole thing is that he's pretty much the cleverest magnificent bastard in the entirety of House Kurita's history.

Except that being a clever magnificent bastard isn't particularly a samurai ideal, nor is being an obvious threat to Takashi's power (that he, at least in the prime universe, had no interest in).

So he feigns being a fat goon all his life and contents himself with running corporations and being one of the biggest (heh) information brokers in the sphere.

Uncle Chandy is the single most awesome Kurita, he's like the Combine's version of The Fox. Even without climbing into a battlemech, he still managed to be my favorite character in the series.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
If you guys are worrying about if Sian will get conquered, I'm guessing it still will be while we empty our six shooters into the air and throwing up our sombreros :ese:

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Whoa. I must say that I'm really surprised with the recent voting developments. If this goes on for another day, option G will probably overtake C and win.

Has anything like that happened before? I thought the early favourites always pulled through!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Clovis Holstein's wedding, I think?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Defiance Industries posted:

Clovis Holstein's wedding, I think?

Ooooh, right! By a hair's breadth, too. That would have ended ugly for the two newlyweds, now they have a fighting chance, at least. :shobon:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
C Without relearning the arts of massive-scale warfare, Davion will be hosed when the final showdown occurs.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Gimmick Account posted:

Whoa. I must say that I'm really surprised with the recent voting developments. If this goes on for another day, option G will probably overtake C and win.

Has anything like that happened before? I thought the early favourites always pulled through!

A worry of mine with option G is the fact that the Federated Suns military will, at the very least, partially deplete themselves in attacking the Capellan Confederation. Once the Clans finish with the Combine (if they do...), the Federated Suns are next. Worry about and prepare for the Clans now, kick in Mad Max's teeth later.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gimmick Account posted:

Ooooh, right! By a hair's breadth, too. That would have ended ugly for the two newlyweds, now they have a fighting chance, at least. :shobon:

You'd think so.

VVV You'd think so.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 23, 2011

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

landcollector posted:

A worry of mine with option G is the fact that the Federated Suns military will, at the very least, partially deplete themselves in attacking the Capellan Confederation. Once the Clans finish with the Combine (if they do...), the Federated Suns are next. Worry about and prepare for the Clans now, kick in Mad Max's teeth later.

Plus Commstar would be pissed as gently caress. And besides, if Chandy wants peace for a while, then it seems to be to everyone's benefit for now.

The Clans are currently the greater threat.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Artificer posted:

Plus Commstar would be pissed as gently caress. And besides, if Chandy wants peace for a while, then it seems to be to everyone's benefit for now.

The Clans are currently the greater threat.

Yea, but how much damage has the Federated Suns actually taken? To some of their Generals this must seem like a wonderful scenario. Let the Clans over extend themselves destroying an enemy you've fought for centuries, and then pick up the pieces afterward. The working class might declare you a hero for saving them from the Clan oppression. Until the Clan overrun a significant portion of the Fed Suns power base I'd guess most of their leaders will want to "Wait and See" or even press their enemies where they can.

Cosmitz
Sep 2, 2011
Correction.. The Clans are currently the Lyran Commnwealth and the Draconis' Combine greatest threat. Let them dull their axes on them. :)

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

You'd think so.

You could probably establish a tradition by turning it into a really tense and memorable scenario, just like the previous Tharkad mission.

Except that this time the goal would be a successful evacuation, not a quick death!

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
I say G if only for the chance of having Davion make an alliance with Justin Xiang-Allard and his creepy lover. Caballeros, Capellans, and FedSuns working together in harmony to kill other Capellans.

Tran fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 23, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If there's something like a massive secret Castle Brian hidden deep within the St. Ives Commonality that not even the Capellans know about then I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

If there's something like a massive secret Castle Brian hidden deep within the St. Ives Commonality that not even the Capellans know about then I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry.

There're a lot of things the Capellans don't know.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

PoptartsNinja posted:

There're a lot of things the Capellans don't know.

Too... many... jokes...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sabotage and Piracy: Political Vote 6 Results and Combat Theater Vote 7

“You can’t be serious, Hanse!” Duke John Sandoval barked, rattling glasses of fine scotch as he slammed his fist against the hardwood table. “First, you let a snake—a Kurita at that—simply walk out of your throne-room, and now you tell me you’re stripping troops from the border for a military exercise?”

“We’re still under threat of interdiction,” Duke Michael Hasek pointed out. “Even if the Draconis Combine is vulnerable, we can’t exploit it—and if these Clans can destroy portions of ComStar’s HPG grid at will, I’m not sure I’d want to.”

Hasek’s hand closed on Hanse’s shoulder in a display of solidarity. “Let the Dragon knock itself senseless, John,” Hanse advised, “We’ll have plenty of time to pick up the pieces once they’ve broken these invaders.”

He templed his fingers, and rested his elbows against the Terran oak table. “I want our troops sharp enough to finish beheading the Dragon when the time comes, which means a ‘military exercise.’ I want to see how quickly we can mobilize the AFFS.”

Sandoval paled. “Th-the entire AFFS?”

Davion nodded, his lips twisting into a satisfied grin. “There’s something I’ve been dying to try—and this is the first opportunity we’ve had.”

John shook his head, “I admire your vision, Highness, but I don’t think it can be done. The Kurita—”

“I won’t know unless I try,” Davion countered. “Besides, Quintus did some checking. ‘Uncle Chandy’ Kurita is considered a ‘fool’ by Takashi’s court. He’s far more valuable to us there than he is on New Avalon.”

“Is he now?”

Hanse smirked, “He’s a more dangerous man than he lets on and a strong supporter of Takashi’s ‘dishonored’ son, Theodore. He also surrounds himself with extremely capable, dangerous individuals.”

“The Mirza?” John asked, lifting his glass.

“Just so. His other companion? His, what—” Hanse looked to Qintus for confirmation, “second cousin? Jannike Kurita? She’s Yorinaga Kurita’s daughter—”

Sandoval choked and sputtered. “You—”

“Yorinaga was nearly ordered to commit Seppuku, I hear,” Quintus interrupted, “when he decided to train her as a ‘Mechwarrior. Her scores at the Sun Zhang academy were exemplary. It’s quite possible she’s the best pilot of her generation—”

“Only if we exclude your sons, Quintus,” Michael chuckled.

“I suspect that Chandrasekhar Kurita is a destabilizing influence in Takashi’s court. So long as he’s there, Takashi will never have things completely his way. Besides,” Hanse grinned, “he didn’t leave empty-handed.”

“I sent a canary with him.”

Jannike Kurita drifted slowly across the cabin, her expression placid, her posture meditative, but her mind whirled. Her ‘Uncle’ Chandrasekhar rubbed his brow in consternation—the scantly-clad serving girls he favored forgotten, their charms, their overflowing bowls of exotic fruits. Gone was the happy-go-lucky yet vaguely befuddled expression he wore in public, replaced instead by a sharply focused gaze which Jannike before observed only in her own father. She blinked, and quietly added Prince Hanse Davion to the list as well—he’d seen through everything Chandrasekhar had said, and understood the deeper motives and pressures behind him.

She shivered quietly, and understood why the Prince of the Federated Suns was such a great threat to the Combine. He understood them. Possibly better than they themselves did.

The object of her Uncle’s attention flapped helplessly in a golden cage. It was unlikely that the canary would survive the first jump, much less the three-month journey to Luthien; but as a gift for the Coordinator, Chandrasekhar was honor-bound to make the attempt.

“Uncle,” She spoke—an act that would have seen her beaten in the court of a less liberal Kurita—in soft and respectful tones, like the dutiful daughter she’d always been. “What troubles you?”

Chandrasekhar smiled, though it was hardly friendly. “This gift will not please Takashi.”

“I do not understand, Uncle. It’s only a bird.”

“Did your father ever speak of the mercenary, Morgan Kell?” Chandrasekhar chuckled, his gaze hardening perceptibly when she shook her head ‘no.’

“Well, it’s no matter. I would have thought he’d have taught you the old stories.”

“He was too busy training me, in secret,” she replied. “You know that, Uncle.”

Chandrasekhar remained silent for a few minutes, perhaps organizing his thoughts. “In the old legends, there is but one thing that can destroy the Dragon: a yellow bird. Hanse Davion’s gift…”

Jannike swallowed, her cousin was turning this into a lesson—or perhaps testing her thinking. “It’s not a gift,” she postulated, “it’s a threat: if we do not defeat the Clans with the bulk of our military intact—”

“Not a threat,” Chandrasekhar amended, “but a promise. Should the Combine falter; should we fail to stop the Clans, Hanse Davion will destroy us.”

“If we fail to stop the Clans, he’ll have to fight them for the privilege.”

Chandrasekhar’s one-word reply sent a chill down her spine.

“Precisely.”

Combat Theater Vote 7

13th Rasalhague Regulars
Deep in the Silent Shoals, the shattered remnants of the 13th Rasalhague Regulars fight a desperate guerilla war against the forces of Clan Widowmaker.

First Kearny Highlanders
Growing discontent among the Northwind Highlanders has prompted a visit by Chancellor Maximillian Liao to reassure the highlanders that their world has not been forgotten. Warning, this mission will probably be a clusterfuck (but it’s also not going to go away immediately).

McCarron’s Armored Cavalry
The Big M.A.C. is Romano Liao’s spearhead in the Capellan Confederation’s invasion and the FWLM hasn’t been able to even slow them down; but it seems Duncan Marik has finally grown tired of their advance. Can McCarron’s Armored Cavalry win against the elite regiments of the Free Worlds Guards?

???
So, I hear you goons like mystery options. Travel into the Silent Shoal to do… something. For someone. Possibly against someone.

Death’s Consorts
The Tortuga Dominions have always been a plague on the Federated Suns; but they were seen as a threat isolated to a few periphery worlds within easy reach. Dame Murderess Extraordinaire Paula Trevaline, known to her foes as the Lady Death, has decided to exploit that confidence and launch a bold (or, as some whisper when Lady Death is out of earshot: suicidal) assault on New Avalon itself.

So, what’ll it be, goons?

Combat Theater Vote 7

A) 13th Rasalhague Regulars
B) Northwind Highlanders
C) McCarron’s Armored Cavalry
D) ???
E) Death’s Consorts

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 23, 2011

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
D. I loved the last mission. I can't wait to see what other nonsense is happening in the Silent Shoal.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Voting for B) Northwind Highlanders

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
D. :iiam:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A. We've seen the vipers, the horses and the trolls. Let's see what the really nasty clan are doing, and see if asymmetric warfare can put a dent in them. (Please give the Widowmakers a Dire Wolf or three...)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Voting B because I love me a good clusterfuck.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HAH! The Yellow Bird. That's mighty foxy of old Hanse.

Anyway.

For some reason I get the sneaking suspicion option D involves Goonlance getting into an extended series of fistfights in various circles of fire. Because this is my first instinct, I can also bank on it not being what I think it is. But, well, it's the mystery choice! But what the hey, I don't want to see pirates screwing over New Avalon, I'd like to see the Capellan advance get stalled due to lack of Goon oversight, and the Highlanders can probably wait. Who knows, it might be even more of a clusterfuck the longer we wait. The 13th Rasalhague Regulars might be another out-gunned and out-of-our-minds mission so it's interesting on the one hand, but we've done it before and I don't know if we want to throw another Goonlance into the inferno like that.

Then again, it's also our best bet to maybe see a Dire Wolf in action.

If this is going to be David v. Goliath then instead of just a Lance maybe we might have a whole company of guerilla light 'Mechs? Or is that reserved for the Highlanders?

You know, it's never been good to dilly-dally when there's a mission that "won't necessarily go away." Since those tend to get worse the longer we wait. So guess no waiting.

Let's give the persistent plot mission an early try. B for clusterfucks in Space Scotland.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A because guerilla war sounds amazing.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

AJ_Impy posted:

(Please give the Widowmakers a Dire Wolf or three...)

Voting A for this reason.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

quote:

A. We've seen the vipers, the horses and the trolls. Let's see what the really nasty clan are doing, and see if asymmetric warfare can put a dent in them. (Please give the Widowmakers a Dire Wolf or three...)

This is likely to be the biggest clusterfuck, and maybe we can provoke them into doing something totally insane. Vote A and screw a lunatic.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
A for maximal underdog.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Voting mystery box.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hmmmm. So, without committing myself to a vote just yet because I'd like to see more goon analysis on the matter, here's what I think of our choices:

A) Every vote since the second one we've had the chance to pick a Combine unit to try and slow down the Clans. Assuming that all the units we've skipped in the past have been destroyed, and given how far the Clans have moved into Combine space, we might want to consider throwing the Snakes a bone here to let them slow the Clans' roll. On the other hand, if you're a fan (as I am) of the Galahad -> Invade the Combine to Save the Combine option, then avoid this one and let Kurita fall even faster.

B) I'm seeing Caballeros, an assassination attempt on Max, maybe even some FWL action. Who the hell knows? Probably the most fun option, but since it won't go away immediately, I think we can afford to let this one slide at least once.

C) Big Mac vs. The Free Worlds Guards? Could be important vis a vis the Marik/Liao plotline. Seems pretty straightforward, too. Might be worthwhile.

D) Mystery Box. It's at the edge of Steiner space, so that could be Commonwealth, could be Heimdall, could be Loki, could be who knows what else? You pays your money and takes your chances.

E) Now this one's kind of odd. What happens if we win? How bad will the FedSuns be hurt? Will Hanse turn that in to casus belli to invade Tortuga during Galahad? What's the ramifications if we lose? Another gamble, this one.

In short, I think we should skip B, but I'm not certain about the rest just yet. I'm curious to see what the rest of goonmind thinks.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

B) Northwind Highlanders

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Edit:

Going with D. I can't resist that mystery box and I don't want to risk missing it. Despite my previous comments the combo of Mystery, Lyran patriotism, and the chance to avenge the 2nd was too strong a lure.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 23, 2011

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Voting for A

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm going with A and I advise you do too! Here's why:

A team of Samurai Vikings is trapped far behind enemy lines. Outgunned and outnumbered, most would run, but they do not. They are going to keep fighting until their last small laser quits working because they are HARD. AS. gently caress.

Oh my god yes. Samurai Viking for President.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
A

We will fight on the beaches, we will fight in the fields, we will fight on the streets, to ensure that no dirty clanner makes his way further into the Inner Sphere!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I do want a clusterfuck, but since it won't go away let's save it for next. SamurAi vikings.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Voting A because it gives me a slim chance to make some Widowmakers cry.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Too many good choices! I'd love to see Rolling Thunder in action, and mysterious missions for unknown motives are always fun. Still, I have to give my vote to the brave men of Free Rasalhague Republic; every official scenario written for them was awesome and I have full confidence in PTN. For example they had one scenario which pit a rookie company of Chameleons with heat limiters still on against two stars of Clan heavies lead by Natasha Kerensky. Destroy one Clan mech and it's a draw, two and it's a victory.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
:ohdear: Oh, oh, I take the mystery box.

Hopefully it won't be...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
A For a deck stacked against us.

• Locked thread