Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Cythereal posted:

You just know a James Cameron BattleTech movie would be visually stunning but involve the bird aliens as a bunch of technologically backward but oh-so-retarded magical space Native Americans who are ever so much better than the brutal, ignorant, humanity.

Jeez, does no one remember the man's earlier work? Clearly it'd take place after the shelling of Turtle Bay, with an old combine woman returning to the city after many years. The whole story takes place in flashback, and is about the romance between her and a lower-caste laborer. In the end, she barely makes it out while the lasers fall on Edo. Giant stompy robots never appear, except to emphasize the extent of the destruction.

There's also a scene with a bunch of Yakuza being hunted by unstoppable, swarming, Austrian-accented elementals in a cave system slash abandoned factory.

e: like this

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Screw all that. Gimme Neil Blomkamp. He's the guy who would have done the Halo movie had it not gotten shelved. You can see the short Halo film he did here. drat shame he never got the chance to do the full movie.

Speaking of the Clan scenario, many years ago there was a set of rules for playing the Clans as a PBeM. They never lasted very long, since you'd have like 17-20 players and one very harried GM so either the GM would burn out or too many players would quit to keep the game going, but they were fun while they lasted. My personal preference for the Cloud Cobras and the Snow Ravens came from playing them in the PBeM.

Hmmm. That'd make a pretty good PbP/LP, come to think of it. I wonder if those rules are still available anywhere?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You guys know perfectly well who would wind up directing a battletech movie.

Uwe Boll.

It would have a slashed budget, a cast of entirely unknown actors (except, of course, Willem deFoe), and while there might be some recognizable mechs on-screen, absolutely everything else about the IP would get overruled by the director and the cheap hack writer, so you'd have a moronic story and a setting bearing no resemblance whatsoever to the one you all love.

There might be "clans" and an "inner sphere", maybe, if you are lucky.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
My vote would be Peter Jackson. Man's all about the battles.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Natty Ninefingers posted:

My vote would be Peter Jackson. Man's all about the battles.

Neil Blomkamp with special effects by WETA workshop. Because then you know you are in for some awesome poo poo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Octatonic posted:

Jeez, does no one remember the man's earlier work? Clearly it'd take place after the shelling of Turtle Bay, with an old combine woman returning to the city after many years. The whole story takes place in flashback, and is about the romance between her and a lower-caste laborer. In the end, she barely makes it out while the lasers fall on Edo. Giant stompy robots never appear, except to emphasize the extent of the destruction.

There's also a scene with a bunch of Yakuza being hunted by unstoppable, swarming, Austrian-accented elementals in a cave system slash abandoned factory.

Sorry. I'm here for the giant robots and attendant explosions.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Cythereal posted:

You just know a James Cameron BattleTech movie would be visually stunning but involve the bird aliens as a bunch of technologically backward but oh-so-retarded magical space Native Americans who are ever so much better than the brutal, ignorant, humanity.

Give the man some credit.

All we have to do is tell him that the technologically superior giant stompy robots are the bad guys and the technologically inferior giant stompy robots are the good guys only fighting to defend their homelands from a sudden, unwarranted invasion of conquest, and suddenly we'd be up to our freaking eyeballs in explosions and giant stompy robots.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

My question is, who do you want to direct this picture?
1: Steven Spielberg.
2: George Lucas.
3: James Cameron.
4: Michael Bay.

Lucas. Hanse shot first!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Does anyone even own the film rights to Battletech right now? You'd think someone would be interested in it if they made a loving movie based on the game Battleship. :psyduck:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Give the man some credit.

All we have to do is tell him that the technologically superior giant stompy robots are the bad guys and the technologically inferior giant stompy robots are the good guys only fighting to defend their homelands from a sudden, unwarranted invasion of conquest, and suddenly we'd be up to our freaking eyeballs in explosions and giant stompy robots.

A brief history of BattleTech: for a long time, a bunch of assholes fought each other. Then some other assholes with a case of high-functioning strategic autism arrived and fought the existing bunch of assholes. They lost, so it was back to assholes fighting assholes with steadily bigger guns.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
current vote count for next scenario-
A)37
B)9
C)2
D)15
E)6

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Let's go for ??? D

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Trast posted:

Does anyone even own the film rights to Battletech right now? You'd think someone would be interested in it if they made a loving movie based on the game Battleship. :psyduck:

I remember Dean Devlin was attached to a Battletech movie project a few years back (to much gnashing of teeth), but no idea what (if anything) is going on nowadays. That was probably in the WizKids days, so I'm sure all deals are off.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Trast posted:

To be fair the rights for Battleship have only been in the hands of one company, while the rights to Battletech have changed hands more times than a world in the Chaos March.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Michael Bay. BattleTech is cheesy and demands many, many explosions. Preferably with plenty of giant robots armed to the teeth. Melodrama an optional but inevitable extra. Sounds like his kind of movie.

Yeah but I'd hate to see the Bayseen designs. They'd probably look all choppy and busy and have really ill-defined silhouettes.

And I'm all about silhouettes.

Lucas might not be able to make a movie worth a drat but the guy's got art direction and aesthetics on lock. Fo' sho.

EDIT: Also I'm totally down with whatever scenario happens to win. And that's looking like Samurai Viking Lance, so guess we'd better break out the horned helmets and stick some scary facemasks on'em.

Runa fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 24, 2011

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Voting A because it's time we got out of these giant stompy robots and into combat fatigues, or possible smaller, less-stompy robot suits.

Let's see how dishonorable we can be!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Not going to jump on the A :bandwagon: since it's already going to win bar a major shift in voting for however long PTN keeps this poll open. Sure, finally seeing Goons play as the Draconis Combine is welcome, and playing as a Rasalhague unit more so (SPACE VIKING SAMURAI :black101:!), but I'm not sure how I feel about throwing a wrecked unit up against the cream of Clan Widowmaker only to get slaughtered. Besides, it's going to win anyway without my help, so whatever.

Going to vote B) the Northwind Highlanders, since a clusterfuck involving Max Liao should be something to see. I don't feel bad about voting for this since it's going to stick around for a while, but let's go with it anyway.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 24, 2011

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
I really like the idea of A, fighting a suicidal guerilla war as the sole resistance to the Clan steamroller.

On the other hand, I LOVE the idea of a suicidal "gently caress YOU, let's invade the British Empire in Space and give no shits" attack. Since it looks like A will win anyways, I'll cast my symbolic vote for E.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
I'll vote for E.

Because, y'know. Davions gotta die.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Combat Theater Vote 7 Results:

The 13th Rasalhague Regulars win with a 38 Viking Samurai banzai!
14 people love It Is A Mystery options. I don’t get it either.
The Northwind Highlanders only had time for 10 caber tosses!
Death’s Consorts abscond with 7 shiny new battlemechs!
The McCarron’s Armored Cavalry got bogged down with only 2 reinforcements!

Delaying Action:

“Tai-sa Agaki,” the radio crackled, “this is the Luthien Maru. I fear this is as far as we travel together.”

“Prepare to scuttle your vessel,” Agaki Gunnbjorn’s voice was a pleasant baritone, clear and calm even with the harsh feedback of so many fusion engines filling the airwaves with static. “The tanks will carry your crew over the mountains—”

“Please,” Chu-i Hohiro Satomi interrupted. Her voice shook, “My crew and I have already discussed this. Tai-sa, please allow us to serve you one final time: we shall remain here and guard your escape.”

The colonel’s Grand Dragon slowed, then stopped to face the small yet powerful ship which had twice saved his command from Widowmaker assaults. In a snap motion, he brought his Grand Dragon’s only hand up in a salute. Although powerful, the slow-moving River Monitor was a short-ranged combatant: the Clans would simply dissect the vessel at long range. Gunnbjorn was surprised that Satomi and her crew would be willing to volunteer for a suicidal last stand—they were local militia, not members of the 13th Rasalhague Regulars.

Ahead of him, one of his command’s three Partisan tanks peeled off. “Tai-i,” Lance Corporal Wulf Ingmar growled into the comms, “we appear to have thrown a track pin. It is unfortunate we will not be able to continue the withdrawal. We will remain here with the Luthien Maru.”

Further up the convoy, a Manticore heavy tank doubled back.

“Zulu Lance, this is Rakoszky,” Talon Sergeant Rakoszky announced, his voice unmistakable. “Continue onward and defend those Long Toms! I shall remain and keep Wulf out of trouble.”

“Tai-sa,” another voice called—one of their spotters, in a quick but unarmored jeep, “a lance of Clan heavy battlemechs is approaching from the north!”

“Is that damned Varangian with them? Nevermind, it does not matter.” Gunnbjorn grimaced. drat but those Clan ‘Mechs were far too fast for his liking! “Command Lance,” he called, “we are the rear guard. The last Long Tom will have as much trouble ascending the mountain pass as the others did. We will remain until it is safe, then join the others at the rendezvous point as planned.”

The Map:

Clan forces approach from the top
Player forces deployed automatically
One allied, multi-hex unit to protect

13th Rasalhague Regulars
DRG-1Gs Grand Dragon "Ivar the Boneless" – Tai-sa Agaki Gunnbjorn (g2p3) (Raverrn)
- - & 3 Pop-up mines
TDR-5K Thunderbolt - Chu-i Thorvaldsen Masaki (g4p4) (Paragon1)
- - & Partisan Heavy Tank - Lance Corporal Wulf Ingmar and his three-man crew(g4p5)
MAD-3K Marauder - Chu-I Eriksson Imperial (g4p4) (cookieman)
- - & River Monitor Luthien Maru – Chu-i Hohiro Satomi and her four-man crew (g4p5)
HBK-5M Hunchback – Chu-i Luther Grist (g4p4) (Tarquinn)
- - & Manticore Heavy Tank – Talon Sergeant Gene Rakoszky and his three-man crew(g3p4)

Alternates, please stand by:
Rumda
Frankomatic
Canopus250
Defiance Industries

9th Widowmaker Dragoons, Charlie Star
Clan Assault (90 tons)
Clan Heavy A 1 (75 tons)
Clan Heavy A 2 (75 tons)
Clan Heavy B (70 tons)
Clan Medium (50 tons)

Mission Objectives
Destroy one Clan ‘Mech and All 13th Rasalhague ‘Mechs survive until Turn 15
OR
Destroy three Clan ‘Mechs by Turn 20
OR
Destroy 1 Clan ‘Mech and at least one 13th Rasalhague ‘Mech escapes via the bottom map edge on or after turn 25

Secondary Objective:
The Mobile Long-Tom Heavy Artillery escapes via the bottom map edge

New House Rules:
Custom Unit: The Grand Dragon "Ivar the Boneless" is a custom unit with an unbalanced weapon loadout. It suffers a +1 penalty to all piloting checks.

Pop-Up Mines: Any ‘Mech that enters a hex containing a pop-up mine suffers four damage to the center torso as well as an automatic critical chance. These mines can be placed in any hex, but must be placed before the battle begins.

Naval Unit: The River Monitor is a small naval vessel and can only travel on water hexes.

Designate Ace: As long as he remains unengaged, the enemy Star Commander piloting the unknown Clan Assault ‘Mech may designate one member of his star as an ‘Ace’ each turn.

Frustration: Widowmaker Forces are ignoring Zell.

Font: has been adjusted to improve map readability

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 25, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
This looks like it could be very very awesome. Also Clanners ignoring Zell. Have fun with that one :shobon:

Also the new map font is vastly superior.

Oh hey, a Dire Wolf Varangian?

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 24, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
looks like an awesome map. I wish I still played btech on a physical board cause this one would be great fun all around. A tough but doable scenerio , the players are going to have to paly this one smart to get a win out of it!

The changes to the map are awesome and i would keep it!

Man this one has me excited!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

PoptartsNinja posted:

Frustration: Widowmaker Forces are ignoring Zell.

Welp! Good luck with that one, Goonsai Vikings.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
This map looks great for ambushes and such. Double Blind doesn't seem to be in effect, though...

My suggestion would be to place the mines up north, hopefully the Clanners will deploy on the drat things and take some hurt before play really begins.

They're already ignoring Zell, so they probably won't be susceptible to honor-duels... But there's a small chance they might, if you challenge their honor. Good luck with that.

As for the river monitor... You might want to consider intentionally beaching it, now or later. A beached ship cannot sink. They'd have to pour on more firepower to destroy it utterly.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

This is gonna be rough for the goon lance. But doable. A good dose of good luck would help!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I was planning on doing a writeup of the mechs, but I am going to hold off until I see what the DRG-1Gs is. I most certainly will not be able to do anything with the clan mechs, as PTN variants are non-canon and thus unknown.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A Varangian, Clanners without Zell, boats, tanks, a custom mech with a 2/4 pilot, a daring escape up a clifftop road...

My fellow 'A' voters, Thank you.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

I was planning on doing a writeup of the mechs, but I am going to hold off until I see what the DRG-1Gs is.

It swaps out pretty much its entire non-laser armament for a Gauss Rifle.

AJ_Impy posted:

A Varangian

It's something else. The Dire Wolf was too slow to keep up.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

I wonder if those Long Toms that already went upmountain have managed to deploy and sight themselves in? If so, we could string those drat dirty Widowmakers right along into a killing field. Bring the rain!

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

It swaps out pretty much its entire non-laser armament for a Gauss Rifle.

Wow. How did they get a gauss rifle all the way out here? This one must not be from ComStar, this guy is using the ancient family gauss katana, isn't he?

Or maybe it's a Gauss Mace?

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

KnoxZone posted:

I was planning on doing a writeup of the mechs, but I am going to hold off until I see what the DRG-1Gs is. I most certainly will not be able to do anything with the clan mechs, as PTN variants are non-canon and thus unknown.

I got you covered, Knox: HBK-5M (hey PTN, care to add this writeup to the OP?)

Short version: This :airquote:improved:airquote: Hunchback trades moderate problems with heat for major problems with ammo. You have 5 shots. Mother them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Wow. How did they get a gauss rifle all the way out here? This one must not be from ComStar, this guy is using the ancient family gauss katana, isn't he?

It's been quite a while and Comstar transmitted the Gauss Rifle schematics to everyone in the Inner Sphere. It's either a DIY project, or they used one of Satalice's factories to make it.

I should probably mention: we're on Satalice.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's something else. The Dire Wolf was too slow to keep up.

Mechs that look like Dire Wolves, but are faster?

It is a Warhawk.

VVV It is where Clan Wolf captured Ragnar Magnusson in canon.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 24, 2011

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's been quite a while and Comstar transmitted the Gauss Rifle schematics to everyone in the Inner Sphere. It's either a DIY project, or they used one of Satalice's factories to make it.

Lore guys: what's the significance of this planet?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KnoxZone posted:

Mechs that look like Dire Wolves, but are faster?

It is a Warhawk.

He already said we'll be seeing a Wolf Spider...

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
They have a hole puncher and a ambusher, it's a good combo, but the gauss rifle is going to have to be a good sniper. The Thunderbolt and MAD are good mid range mechs that can brawl a bit.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 24, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

PoptartsNinja posted:

Paging Haakon Magnusson, Haakon Magnusson to the white courtesy phone please... (I know it was his son that got captured, but it is 18 years early, work with me)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cythereal posted:

He already said we'll be seeing a Wolf Spider...

Who's got jumpjets?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

Who's got jumpjets?

One variant does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I really like this scenario. The players will want to hold back, force the clanners to come in close to engage, and try to draw them across the mines in doing so. Surviving for lots of turns is important so it's actually OK to hide behind terrain even if you miss a whole turn of fighting. Use the armor as sacrificial lambs, since their survival isn't important to any of the objectives.

I'm gonna predict objective 2 is the easiest, since keeping all the mechs alive for 15 turns is going to be very tough (a single lucky shot will ruin this and that's a lot of clan assault power coming in) and managing to drag the whole fight out for over 25 turns also seems unlikely.

• Locked thread