Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think single-planetary biomes are stupid (barring mineral-rich deserts), and refuse to consider a single-biome planet as truly possible.

The bulk of Satalice is, in fact, frozen wasteland; but assuming a very minimal axial wobble it would still have an area of temperate (cold, rainy, miserable and swampy) land around the equator that would be an extremely uncomfortable place for people to live, but still better than living on a volcanic glacier.

Fair enough. Single planetary biomes are rather ridiculous, so I guess Satalice having an equatorial forest is reasonable enough. The only reason I brought it up is because I had just re-read the second Blood of Kerensky book right before you put up this scenario, so seeing forest on Satalice didn't jibe with the description of it given in that book. Again, it was just me picking nits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm always curious how we're defining biome in these cases. I know the jungle planet is dumb. Having it on a temperate planet doesn't make sense but just from the solar system we have a desert planet (Mars), a CRUSHING ACID DEATH planet (Venus), an ice planet (Europa), a cold-rear end smog planet (Titan), etc. Or are we specifically talking about the idea of having one tree species across a whole planet?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm always curious how we're defining biome in these cases. I know the jungle planet is dumb. Having it on a temperate planet doesn't make sense but just from the solar system we have a desert planet (Mars), a CRUSHING ACID DEATH planet (Venus), an ice planet (Europa), a cold-rear end smog planet (Titan), etc. Or are we specifically talking about the idea of having one tree species across a whole planet?

I think we're talking about planets that support human life.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

raverrn posted:

I think we're talking about planets that support human life.

Yeah, that makes sense. I wasn't sure if this planet we were talking about is habitable or not, we have these nice atmosphere-sealed mechs and all.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. I wasn't sure if this planet we were talking about is habitable or not, we have these nice atmosphere-sealed mechs and all.

It's populated, or it wouldn't be defended. Chances are, the populace lives in domed cities to protect them from frozen volcanos; but still. Very few colonies exist on planets that are truly incapable of supporting human life long enough for an emergency evacuation.

Without some sort of airable farmland, satalice's population would be extremely low.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

AtomikKrab posted:

Hunchback can run to the side opposite the river of the mech that kicked the tank in and turn to face the mech, fire its ac/20 and small laser at a standing still target... and then push it over into the river. and the manticore and other mech nearby should also shoot it to make a hole.

(pushing a mech into water can cause it to breach flood and die. Note tell ptn if it falls over kick instead of push unless ptn will allow you to roll the fallen mech into the drink)

Cheap kill.

M and M stand still torso twist if they have to and alpha strike... pretty much 100 percent of a kill.

Excellent idea, but you cannot run into or out of water hexes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Very few colonies exist* on planets that are truly incapable of supporting human life long enough for an emergency evacuation.

*Anymore

Apparently planets totally dependent on terraforming or domes were not too rare back in the Star League era. Unsurprisingly their equipment tended to be exploded at some point.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Grand Fromage posted:

Mars has a varied landscape which ranges from icy thundra like environment and ice caps at the poles to the megadesert in the central latitudes. Titan has liquid methane lakes so necessarily has at least two distinct biomes. Mars, europa, and titan are all much smaller than the Earth.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not really, but why bother? Most planets in the Battletech universe are water-poor; and 'Mechs do the amphibious thing better. It's actually one area where they excell.

If your armored column can be stopped dead in its tracks (literally) by a simple moat of water (or a stream or something,) your armored column is worth about jack and poo poo.

Seriously, it isn't that freaking hard to make a tank amphibious. Even if you don't need it on every planet, it should be a simple refit kit that you can ship to the planets that do have water.

Oh well. Mechs punting tanks into rivers and sinking them is Rule of Cool, I guess.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
It's really extremely hard to make a non-light tank amphibious. Given some time, you can make some tanks sort of dog paddle across smaller water obstacles, but this usually involves putting up a snorkel and a floatation screen of some sort.

No one has ever made an 80 ton tank amphibious, and certainly not in a fast-moving mountain stream deep enough for a heavy gunboat.

In Battletech, you don't give a poo poo about your tracked vehicles' operational mobility, because if that is a concern, you have a) Mechs b) jump infantry and c) all sorts of hover vehicles, which move across water without noticing.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
And DropShips, which makes most of strategic movement obsolete anyway.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

If your armored column can be stopped dead in its tracks (literally) by a simple moat of water (or a stream or something,) your armored column is worth about jack and poo poo.

Seriously, it isn't that freaking hard to make a tank amphibious. Even if you don't need it on every planet, it should be a simple refit kit that you can ship to the planets that do have water.

Oh well. Mechs punting tanks into rivers and sinking them is Rule of Cool, I guess.

Modern tanks aren't commonly amphibious either (only light armored vehicles like AFvs and APCs tend to be amphibious; MBTs are simply too heavy to swim unless you tie them to huge-rear end pontoons or the like) and deep-fording requires very specific circumstances (That river needs to be not too deep, needs a comparatively flat bed and the ambankments can't be too steep, either.) and extra equipment that needs to be installed on the tank right before the fording attempt...

Hell, you don't even need water in your moat to stop a tank column as long as your moat is wide and deep enough and has steep sides. It's called an anti-tank ditch.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Haven't seen someone be so wrong with such confidence in quite some time. Tanks designers tend to assume that underwater operation is not a core feature. Maybe if you backpedal hard enough you can get out of this simple moat of failure?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 12, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Arglebargle III posted:

Haven't seen someone be so wrong with such confidence in quite some time. Tanks designers tend to assume that underwater operation is not a core feature. Maybe if you backpedal hard enough you can get out of this simple moat of failure?

Well to be reasonable a hex is 30 feet, and 30 feet deep water is pretty large amount of water for anything but a completely amphibious APC/hovercraft. What I'm saying is that you can't backpetal on the bottom of a fairly deep river :v:

Instead of backpetalling :D, I'll admit i remembered wrong, but 20 foot deep river is fairly shallow... for boats.
VVVVVVVVVV

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 12, 2011

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Axe-man posted:

Well to be reasonable a hex is 30 feet, and 30 feet deep water is pretty large amount of water for anything but a completely amphibious APC/hovercraft. What I'm saying is that you can't backpetal on the bottom of a fairly deep river :v:

30 meters long (~100 feet) and 6 meters deep (~20 feet)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Rules for depth 0 water (a 'stream') exist (hey, guess what? Tanks can cross depth 0; depth 0 just usually hides nasty surprises like hidden swamp hexes), and moats are lostech (as is ditch-digging equipment)

Oh, and the Luthien Maru has a half-meter displacement, so she's fine. The Monitor-class is flat-bottomed barge, essentially, and designed specifically for rivers and deltas. I'd hate to be one on an open ocean.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
This is such a great mission that i decided to make the map for in Megamek so people at home can play along, of course, i don't know the full variants for all the mechs, but you could always play it and see how well you all did!

If someone could list the mechs and variants, beyond the ones in the thread post, i'd even upload MULs of them, of course i don't know crit location :ohdear:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9c026w6p02jk9j4

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Axe-man posted:

If someone could list the mechs and variants, beyond the ones in the thread post, i'd even upload MULs of them, of course i don't know crit location :ohdear:

The Wolf Spiders are still a mystery, as are the others. For a real challenge, run the mission with a standard Marauder, Grand Dragon, and Thunderbolt (No jump jets :o ) against a mix of clan heavies.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If anybody's going to complain about the realism of that charge attack, the physics is a much more vulnerable spot. A 70 ton piece of metal with weak ground contact and a high center of balance charging at high speed into an 80 ton piece of metal with good ground contact and a low center of balance probably shout not result in the larger, lower, sturdier machine being pushed 30 meters. A far more likely outcome is the 'mech sprawled out on the ground somewhere behind the tank. In fact that's probably the best possible outcome for the mech. If it succeeded in putting more energy into the collision, both machines would probably be totaled. You ever see two semis hit each other at high speed? You don't come away from that situation with a winner.

Although if you ask an actual physicist about this physics problem, he's likely to agree with the Battletech Physics outcome because the terrain is now a frictionless plane in a total vacuum and the tank and mech are both solid metal spheres that transfer energy perfectly instead of deforming.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 13, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Good old physics....

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Physics is LosTech.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Arglebargle III posted:

If anybody's going to complain about the realism of that charge attack, the physics is a much more vulnerable spot. A 70 ton piece of metal with weak ground contact and a high center of balance charging at high speed into an 80 ton piece of metal with good ground contact and a low center of balance probably shout not result in the larger, lower, sturdier machine being pushed 30 meters. A far more likely outcome is the 'mech sprawled out on the ground somewhere behind the tank. In fact that's probably the best possible outcome for the mech. If it succeeded in putting more energy into the collision, both machines would probably be totaled. You ever see two semis hit each other at high speed? You don't come away from that situation with a winner.

Although if you ask an actual physicist about this physics problem, he's likely to agree with the Battletech Physics outcome because the terrain is now a frictionless plane in a total vacuum and the tank and mech are both solid metal spheres that transfer energy perfectly instead of deforming.

To be fair Semis aren't exactly armored. And that's also a head-on collision. This is more akin to one Semi blindsiding the other and with the front end reinforced with about a foot of solid steel.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

A 70 ton piece of metal with weak ground contact and a high center of balance charging at high speed into an 80 ton piece of metal with good ground contact and a low center of balance probably shout not result in the larger, lower, sturdier machine being pushed 30 meters.

Remember that gently caress-up I mentioned? Vehicles can only be charged by other vehicles; but because the move left D is a horrible position (compounded by my forgetting to jump away afterward), I decided the error was actually to the players' benefit.

It's also why the 'survive until' timer has been reduced to 12 turns rather than 15. I hosed up, so the players get an easier time of things.

Also, vehicles aren't immune to push attacks, so the tank would've wound up in the river regardless.

Edit: Ahaha, this turn is going to be brutal!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 14, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Ahaha, this turn is going to be brutal!

:gonk:
This statement does not fill me with confidence. Another player unit is going to horribly die, isn't it?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
:ohdear: I've been head-capped or something, haven't I?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

paragon1 posted:

:ohdear: I've been head-capped or something, haven't I?

Everyone headcaps everyone else, all mechs fall over dead simultaneously. The Long Tom slowly rolls off into the sunset.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

landcollector posted:

:gonk:
This statement does not fill me with confidence. Another player unit is going to horribly die, isn't it?

You missed his previous comment about the wolf spider curse, that clanner couldn't stand (The ACE) so you are even safer.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Delaying Action: Tactical Update 7

Movement Phase
Clan Heavy A 1
- Attempts to stand (4 base + 0 standing up = 4): rolled 7, succeeds!

End Phase

Combat Phase
C* Grand Dragon
- Fires Gauss Rifle at E Thunderchild (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 6): rolled 10, hit Left Torso (3/18 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at E Thunderchild (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at E Thunderchild (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 11, hit Right Torso (13/18 armor remains)!
- Gains 8 heat, sinks 10!

C2 Thunderbolt
- Fires Medium Laser at C Unknown Heavy A 2 (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Rear Left Torso (3/8 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at C Unknown Heavy A 2 (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (27/32 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at C Unknown Heavy A 2 (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 13 heat, sinks 15!

C3 Marauder
- Fires PPC at C Unknown Heavy A 2 (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 5, hit Head (0/9 armor, 2/3 structure remains)! Pilot hit! Critical chance!
- Fires PPC at C Unknown Heavy A 2 (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 6, hit Right Arm (14/24 armor remains)!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 20!

C4 Hunchback
- Fires Autocannon/20 at D Unknown Heavy B (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 6, hit Center Torso (0/33 armor, 20/22 structure remains)! Critical chance!
- Fires Medium Laser at D Unknown Heavy B (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at D Unknown Heavy B (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (7/22 armor remains)!
- Fires Small Laser at D Unknown Heavy B (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 9, hit Left Leg (23/26 armor remains)!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 13!

M River Monitor
- Fires Autocannon/20 at C Unknown Heavy A 2 (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (4/24 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-2 at C Unknown Heavy A 2 (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 4, miss!

T2 Manticore Heavy Tank
- Fires PPC at D Unknown Heavy B (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 4): rolled 8, hit Head (0/9 armor, 2/3 structure remains)! Pilot hit! Critical chance!
- Fires Medium Laser at D Unknown Heavy B (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 4): rolled 12, hit Right Torso (0/22 armor, 14/15 structure remains)! Critical chance!
- Fires LRM-10 at D Unknown Heavy B (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 4): rolled 12, 4 missiles hit Left Arm (3/22 armor remains)! (if this attack hadn’t been an LRM, this would’ve been a TAC)
- Fires SRM-6 at D Unknown Heavy B (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 4): rolled 8, 4 missiles hit Right Leg (21/28 armor remains), Right Torso (12/15 structure remains (Critical chance!), Right Arm (20/22 armor remains), Left Leg (26/28 armor remains)!

A Clan Assault
Holds Fire

B Unknown Heavy A 1
- Torso Twists to threaten hex 1518
- Fires ER Large Laser at M River Monitor (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Large Laser at M River Monitor (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at M River Monitor (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 6): rolled 7, hit Front (15/22 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at M River Monitor (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 6): rolled 8, hit Front (8/22 armor remains)! Through-Armor Tank Critical!

C Unknown Heavy A 2
- Reverses arms!
- Fires ER PPC at C2 Thunderbolt (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 11, hit Right Arm (5/20 armor remains)!
- Fires ER PPC at C2 Thunderbolt (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Right Arm (0/20 armor, 0/10 structure remains)! Limb blown off!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at M River Monitor (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 secondary target - 2 Pulse Laser = 3): rolled 9, hit Left Side (12/22 armor remains)! Through-Armor Tank Critical!

D Unknown Heavy B
- Fires ER Large Laser at C3 Marauder (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 5): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (5/18 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at C3 Marauder (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 5): rolled 5, hit Left Torso (9/17 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-15 at C3 Marauder (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 5): rolled 7, 9 missiles hit Right Leg (12/18 armor remains), Right Leg (8/18 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at C3 Marauder (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 5): rolled 4, Streak SRM-6 fails to achieve lock and does not fire!
- Fires LB-10X Autocannon at C3 Marauder (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 5): rolled 7, 8 clusters hit Right Leg (7/18 armor remains), Left Leg (4/18 armor remains), Left Arm (20/22 armor remains), Right Leg (6/18 armor remains), Center Torso (31/35 armor remains), Right Torso (15/17 armor remains), Left Torso (8/17 armor remains), Right Arm (1/22 armor remains)!

E Thunderchild
- Fires ER Large Laser at C* Grand Dragon (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 11, hit Center Torso (17/27 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at C* Grand Dragon (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (12/14 armor remains), Left Torso (14/16 armor remains), Left Torso (12/16 armor remains), Left Arm (10/14 armor remains), Center Torso (15/27 armor remains), Left Leg (16/18 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at C* Grand Dragon (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, Streak SRM-6 fails to achieve lock and does not fire!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at C* Grand Dragon (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 10, hit Left Leg (14/18 armor remains), Right Arm (12/14 armor remains), Left Torso (10/16 armor remains), Left Arm (8/14 armor remains), Right Torso (14/16 armor remains), Left Arm (6/18 armor remains)!

LT Long Tom
- Fires Machine Gun at E Thunderchild (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 11, hit Head (7/9 armor remains)! Pilot hit!
- Fires Machine Gun at E Thunderchild (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!

End Phase:
C Clan Heavy A 2
- Critical chance in Head! No critical hits sustained!
Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 0 movement + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 10, succeeds!
Must pass a 3+ consciousness test, rolled: 5! Succeeds!

D Clan Heavy B
- Critical chance in Center Torso! No critical hits sustained!
- Critical chance in Head! No critical hits sustained!
- Critical chance in Right Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Engine hit!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 0 movement + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 7, succeeds!
- Must pass a 3+ consciousness test, rolled: 3! Succeeds!

E Thunderchild
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 2 movement + 1 massive damage = 7): rolled 7, succeeds!
- Must pass a 3+ consciousness test, rolled: 3! Succeeds!

C* Grand Dragon
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 0 movement + 1 massive damage + 1 unbalanced = 5): rolled 8, succeeds!

C2 Thunderbolt
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 movement + 1 massive damage = 6): rolled 10, succeeds!

C3 Marauder
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 0 movement + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 6, succeeds!

M River Monitor
- Through-Armor Tank Critical on Front!
- - Left Side Weapon Stabilizer hit!
- Through-Armor Tank Critical on Side!
- - Crew stunned!

Physical Combat Phase:
C2 Thunderbolt
- Attempts to push C Clan Heavy A 2, but only has one arm!
- Punches C Clan Heavy A 2 (4 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 punch = 7): rolled 7, hit Rear Right Torso (1/8 armor remains)!

C4 Hunchback
- Kicks D Clan Heavy B (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 kick = 4): rolled 4, hit right leg (13/26 armor remains)!

End Phase:

Enemy Forces / Next Turn’s Movement:
Clan Assault ran 3 to hex 0316, Designates Clan Assault as ‘Ace’
Clan Heavy A 1 walked 2 to hex 0619
Clan Heavy A 2 jumped 5 to hex 0620
Clan Heavy B jumped 4 to hex 1420
Thunderchild is an ‘Ace’ this turn, waiting for enemy movement

Thick, cloying smoke filled the air like incense around in a Shinto shrine. It hung around Chu-i Hohiro’s head as it rose from somewhere below-decks, and poured out the shattered bridge windows while she struggled with the wheel to keep the Luthien Maru steady enough for her remaining ‘Heavy Twenty’ to achieve a target lock. Her pilot had been beheaded by a three-foot long steel splinter moments before, when the Clanners uncannily-accurate fire had ruptured one of the ship’s autocannons.

Another foot to the left, and she’d have been laying headless on the bridge floor.

“Captain!” Crewman Reykjavik, one of her two engine ‘snipes’ popped his head out of the wide-open floor hatch. He was downright scrawny for a Rasalhaguian, probably some Japanese blood—but who in the Draconis Combine didn’t have a little? “Fires in the crew cabin, ma’am!”

She regarded him for a brief instant with her placid brown eyes.

“Sorry, ma’am, I suppose you know that already. The electrical system’s out, so the fire director—”

“The fires have to be everyone’s first priority,” Satomi replied with a voice far more calm than her racing heart should have allowed. “Get the gun crews on it, if the fire reaches the magazines—”

“On it, ma’am!” Reykjavik saluted, “should I tell the crew to—”

“Yes,” she answered. “Prepare to abandon ship.”

His eyes widened, pupils contracting to tiny, fearful dots. Satomi knew he’d been about to suggest ‘prepare to go down fighting.’ In the Draconis Combine, the ISF frowned on abandoning military equipment—losing a ship, even to a superior force, could very well be a death sentence for her crew.

Her own eyes narrowed as she turned her attention back over the Luthien Maru’s squat, laser-blistered prow. Let the ISF come. She’d paid hell to earn her way into the planetary militia, she’d made the Widowmakers pay hell to sink her ship, and she’d drat-well make the ISF pay hell if they tried to make her crew pay for following orders. She coughed, then spared a moment to straighten her form-fitting militia uniform.

Chances are, they were all about to meet Enma-daiou, and she would do so with the same dignity she’d shown the Clans.

Mission Objectives
Destroy one Clan ‘Mech and All 13th Rasalhague ‘Mechs survive until Turn 12 (0/1, 4/4)
OR
Destroy three Clan ‘Mechs by Turn 20 (0/3)
OR
Destroy 1 Clan ‘Mech and at least one 13th Rasalhague ‘Mech escapes via the bottom map edge on or after turn 25 (0/1, 0/1)

Secondary Objectives
The Mobile Long-Tom Heavy Artillery escapes via the bottom map edge (0/1)

DRG-1Gs Grand Dragon "Ivar the Boneless"
Weight: 60 tons (Heavy)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 10/16 (14/14)
LT R A(S): 8/8
CT A(S): 15/27 (20/20)
CT R A(S): 12/12
RT A(S): 14/16 (14/14)
RT R A(S): 8/8
LA A(S): 6/14 (10/10)
RA A(S): 12/14 (10/10)
LL A(S): 16/18 (14/14)
RL A(S): 14/18 (14/14)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 5/8/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 3, Gunnery 2
Mechwarrior Name: Tai-sa Agaki Gunnbjorn
Mechwarrior Player: Raverrn
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
Gauss Rifle – RA (Heat: 1, Ammo: 14, Range: (L:22 M:15 S:7 Min:2), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: +1 penalty to piloting skill rolls, 1 hand

TDR-5K Thunderbolt
Weight: 65 tons (Heavy)
LT A(S): 22/22 (15/15)
CT A(S): 32/32 (21/21)
CT R A(S): 9/9
RT A(S): 22/22 (15/15)
LA A(S): 20/20 (10/10)
RA A(S): 0/20 (0/10)
LL A(S): 29/29 (15/15)
RL A(S): 29/29 (15/15)
Heat: 3/30
Overheat Penalty:
Heat Sinks: 15
Movement: 4/6/4
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Chu-i Thorvaldsen Masaki
Mechwarrior Player: Paragon1
Armament:
Large Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: Blown off!)
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM-15 – RT (Heat: 5, Ammo: 14, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Notes: 1 hand, Right Arm Blown Off!

Partisan Heavy Tank
Weight: 80 tons (Heavy)
Crew: Driving 5, Gunnery 4
Driver name: Lance Corporal Wulf Ingmar
Crew Status: Buried at sea
Player: Paragon1
Notes: Their luck has gone under

MAD-3K Marauder
Weight: 75 tons (Heavy)
LT A(S): 8/17 (16/16)
CT A(S): 31/35 (23/23)
CT R A(S): 10/10
RT A(S): 15/17 (16/16)
LA A(S): 20/22 (12/12)
RA A(S): 1/22 (12/12)
LL A(S): 4/18 (16/16)
RL A(S): 6/18 (16/16)
Heat: 1/30
Overheat Penalty:
Heat Sinks: 20
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior Name: Chu-i Eriksson Imperial
Mechwarrior Player: Rumda
Armament:
PPC – RA (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
PPC – LA (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Large Laser – RT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: no hands

River Monitor Luthien Maru
Weight: 75 tons (Class)
Front A(S): 8/22 (8/8)
Left A(S): 12/22 (8/8)
Right A(S): 22/22 (8/8)
Turret A(S): 11/40 (8/8)
Rear A(S): 12/22 (8/8)
Movement: 3/5
Crew: Driving 5, Gunnery 4
Player: Rumda
Driver name: Chu-I Hohiro Satomi
Motive System Damage: None!
Armament:
Autocannon/20 – Turret (Ammo: 12, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Autocannon/20 – Turret (Ammo: -, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: Destroyed!)
SRM-2 – Right (Ammo: 48, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM-2 – Left (Ammo: -, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: Stabilizer hit!)
SRM-2 – Rear (Ammo: -, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: Left-side Stabilizer hit! Crew stunned next turn!

HBK-4G Hunchback
Weight: 50 tons (Medium)
LT A(S): 20/20 (12/12)
LT R A(S): 4/4
CT A(S): 26/26 (16/16)
CT R A(S): 5/5
RT A(S): 20/20 (12/12)
RT R A(S): 4/4
LA A(S): 16/16 (8/8)
RA A(S): 16/16 (8/8)
LL A(S): 20/20 (12/12)
RL A(S): 20/20 (12/12)
Heat: 3/30
Heat Sinks: 13
Mechwarrior Name: Chu-i Luther Grist
Mechwarrior Player: Tarquinn
Armament:
Autocannon/20 – RT (Heat: 7, Ammo: 8, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – HD (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands

Manticore Heavy Tank
Weight: 60 tons (Heavy)
Front A(S): 42/42 (6/6)
Left A(S): 33/33 (6/6)
Right A(S): 33/33 (6/6)
Turret A(S): 26/26 (6/6)
Rear A(S): 42/42 (6/6)
Movement: 4/6
Crew: Driving 4, Gunnery 3
Player: Tarquinn
Driver name: Talon Sergeant Gene Rakoszky
Motive System Damage: None!
Armament:
PPC – Turret (Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
LRM-10 – Turret (Ammo: 10, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
SRM-6 – Turret (Ammo: 13, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – Front (Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes:

LT-MOB-25 Mobile Long Tom Artillery
Weight: 55 tons (Support Vehicle)
Front A(S): 16/16 (6/6)
Left A(S): 16/16 (6/6)
Right A(S): 16/16 (6/6)
Rear A(S): 16/16 (6/6)
Movement: 2/3
Driver: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Support Vehicle Status:
Armament:
Long Tom Artillery – Front (Ammo: -, Range: (L:- M:- S:-), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – RS (Ammo: 200, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – RS (Ammo: -, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – LS (Ammo: -, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – LS (Ammo: -, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Notes:

Enemy Status

Clan Assault
Weight: 90 tons (Assault)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 2, Gunnery 2
Mechwarrior Name: Star Colonel Joshua
Armament:Unknown
Notes:

Clan Heavy A 1
Movement: 5/8/?
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Tara
Mechwarrior Status: Enraged (3+)!
Armament: LRM-15, 2x Large Laser, 2x Medium Laser
Notes:

Clan Heavy A 2
Movement: 5/8/5
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Cameron
Mechwarrior Status: 3rd Degree Burns (3+)!
Armament: 2x PPC, Large Laser
Notes:

Clan Heavy B
Weight: 70 tons (Heavy)
Movement: 5/8/4
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Boers
Mechwarrior Status: Neural-Feedback (3+)!
Armament:Large Laser, SRM-6, LRM-15, Autocannon/10
Critical Damage: Jump Jet destroyed!
Notes: Engine hit! +5 ht/turn

Thunderchild
Weight: 50 tons (Medium)
Movement: 6/9/6
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Capella
Armament:Large Laser, 3x SRM-6
Critical Damage: Lacerations (3+)!
Notes:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 14, 2011

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

:stare: The longtom bitchslapped the clanner in the head. :iia:

Hunchback run forward and shoot the clanner again, he is likely overheating right now and you can reach pointblank with him, and remember to Punch... no medium lasers (You can't punch if you fire them) punch the clanner you have good odds of hitting the head and tearing it off with a punch. Ac/20 and small laser justice the clanner though.

Thunderbolt you have a chance for HOT REAR ARMOR action... Go get some on B (Clan Heavy A1) only walked two and thus is practically a sitting duck.

Marauder support the Thunderbolt and Gang bang B (Clan heavy A1)

Manticore, get out of the woods, RETREAT FROM THE WOODS.

Ivan I recommend you stand still, if E ends up in a good place to blast, blast him, if not fire on the Clan Assault to kill his ace... and maybe cap him.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 14, 2011

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
That was a pretty drat good turn for the goons! Headshots all over the place!

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Hahah, what a goddamn wild round. Hopefully you guys can get a follow up turn of good shots and down one or two of them.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Holy gently caress. We just might pull through this.

On the subject of tactics, I think that Manticore needs to get the gently caress away from the water.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Partisan Heavy Tank
Crew Status: Buried at sea
Notes: Their luck has gone under

We don't want this happening again I think.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man that Thunderchild pilot has got to be livid that a slow-moving artillery platform spat at him with a machine gun and not only landed a hit, but wounded him in the process.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

I can't believe there were that many head hits and no criticals/pilot kills. Madness.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Guitar_Hero posted:

I can't believe there were that many head hits and no criticals/pilot kills. Madness.

PTN cheats for better story.

:colbert:

You know its true

Don't Lie :snoop:

Don't Even Lie :snoop:

Quickscell told me it was true.

(Before anyone else flips out this was just a poor attempt at humor on my part. :yohoho:)

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 14, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Ave atque vale, Luthien Maru.

That's one damned fine ship.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

PTN cheats for better story.

:colbert:

No, I don't.

'Mech criticals are a 41.667% chance (they happen on an 8+), but there're chances for multiple criticals with higher numbers so it basically works out to two critical chances per critical hit (and even then, the dice gods seem to favor TACs over normal critical chances, I don't know why).

Vehicles have a far, far more painful crit table (6+ and something happens, and with 11s and 12s usually destroying the vehicle).

If I cheat in any way it pretty much invalidates the whole thread.

Edit: I even change my dice every few rolls to avoid streaks.

VVV Sorry, accusations of cheating are something I always take seriously because they undermine player trust. :(

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 14, 2011

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

No, I don't.

'Mech criticals are a 41.667% chance (they happen on an 8+), but there're chances for multiple criticals with higher numbers so it basically works out to two critical chances per critical hit (and even then, the dice gods seem to favor TACs over normal critical chances, I don't know why).

Vehicles have a far, far more painful crit table (6+ and something happens, and with 11s and 12s usually destroying the vehicle).

If I cheat in any way it pretty much invalidates the whole thread.

Edit: I even change my dice every few rolls to avoid streaks.

:iiam: That people think thats not a joke. Because it is just a joke.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I told you that mech had reversing hands Tarquinn! :argh:

Now I'm down a Large Laser. Can A shoot me if I jump behind B? What about C? Maybe I should just back up one and fire the LRMs?

Edit: Maybe I should just focus on joining up with everyone else? We're pretty close to turn 12, and I'd hate to see us lose someone at the last second.

Poptarts, is the third win condition going to stay 25, since the first one got reduced?

Double Edit: What're the requirements for a DFA?

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Ignoring accusations of cheating for a minute, it's a pity the Thunderbolt lost one of its arms, because it's in the perfect postion to jump behind the Clan Assault mech and push it into the water.

Chicken Slayer fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 14, 2011

• Locked thread