Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mary Annette posted:

There is only one choice for a Merc unit:

"Hired Goons." :haw:

Really this works on so many levels :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Mary Annette posted:

... holy poo poo! Why didn't I think of that before?

This is fantastic!!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Caesar's Legion will fight for the Commonwealth, yo. For Furillo!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mary Annette posted:

:golfclap:

On another note, I know a lot of people are going to go FedCom (I wonder if there'll be a Lyran and FedSuns sub-choice there) but I wonder what the Mariks have to offer.

Also, it's a bit of a shame that all weapon loadouts are going to be swappable a la omnimechs rather than relying on hard-set variants like MWLL, though you can't really blame them for avoiding hard-integrated weapons systems given how everyone's already used to free-swapping weapons in older MW games. However, it appears that tweaking armor, engines, and other non-weapon systems might not be as free-form. This would mean that people would have a reason to pick different 'Mechs beyond just tonnage. Too-customizable 'Mechs ultimately means cosmetic 'Mechs.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mech selection won't be cosmetic.

It'll be a close heat between the mech with the smallest CT hitbox and the mech with the smallest head hitbox.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Let's be Capellans, let's see just how cartoonishly, moustache twirlingly evil we can go.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Arglebargle III posted:

Mech selection won't be cosmetic.

It'll be a close heat between the mech with the smallest CT hitbox and the mech with the smallest head hitbox.

Depending on how well they avoid "High-tech weapons fired over iron sights," IE, shooterism, that may not be the case, Arglebargle.

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic, though I am kind of sad to lose the chance to kick the snakes all up and down Dressler in the name of The Fox.

Another thing I wonder is if they're going to make 'mech customization take a realistic amount of time. Or at least, a non-trivial amount of time: if you want that Mauler of yours to be slinging dual Gauss Rifles like my Daboku, it'll take days of watching progress bars, while in the meantime if you had an Omni it would take minutes.

Anyway, I can't wait to see what the next vote we get will be!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Mary Annette posted:

Oh. Oh yes, bravo.

Meanwhile I am :flashfap: over this so hard. Been waiting so long for this. So, so long.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mary Annette posted:

:worship:

Well played. That wins the thread.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mary Annette posted:

Let this man name a mech, because he just named our faction. Be sure you guys reserve your names for the MMO, which I'm sure is partly so they can check pre-launch interest.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I'm totally up for Hired Goons too.

Guess all we have to do now is to wait a year or so.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Very much up for Hired Goons :neckbeard:

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I think we can do better than Goonmercs.

Edit: everyone keeps using World Of Tanks around as an example, which already has critical hits and ammo explosions.

Speaking of WOT, "Thug Lyfe"?

AC-C/D?
Urban Mechwarriors?
No you shut up!

ohgod I'll stop now.

Hehe there seems to be some serious Urbanmech love on that forum as well:

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 1, 2011

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

elitebuster posted:

I have to apologize to the players: they managed to pull it out of their rear end at the end and I can respect that. Your plan worked, and I was wrong.

As for the goon faction, I vote for Poptart's Legion.

Aye.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
I dunno, Hired Goons actually sounds pretty goddamned good. I mean, I'd rather form Clan Laughing Goon, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at joining the Hired Goons mercenary company. The MRBC certainly won't be able to accuse us of false advertising! :)

(I wonder if the admins will take the form of the MRBC?) I also can't help but wonder if they'll add infantry somehow - probably not, but it would be funny.

Anyway, the next votes are going to be coming up soon. I say we vote for Solaris VII. I want to see a Mechwarrior with the 'Drunken Master' special ability.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The Trash can with legs has quite the following :)

This thread needs more fan art like that :v: Of coruse this comes from the person who can't draw that well.

I can't wait for the political update!

i hope they get a New Rim World Republic mission. That will be the non canon interesting fight!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Freedom: Political Vote 7

The soft squeak of poorly-lubricated axels caught Julien Tiepolo’s wearied attention.

“Ah, Precentor Miraborg,” her greeted coolly, not rising from his throne.

Miraborg did not rise either, the angry glare in his eye searching Tiepolo’s face for mockery. There was none, the Primus was simply old and unwilling to stand. Miraborg, of course, could no longer stand at all. A pressure bandage still covered his left eye—the Clans had shot his Grasshopper out from under him on Richmond. Miraborg had barely survived.

“Primus,” Miraborg growled. “I have been out of touch, how goes the war with the Clans?”

Barely survived physically, Tiepolo amended. Miraborg’s mind was still fierce as ever. A thin smile crossed his lips. “I fear I have little news. It’s possible we’ve stopped them in their tracks—”

“I doubt that very much,” Miraborg interjected. “I’ve fought them. They are implacable.”

“That is precisely why I wished to see you, Precentor Miraborg.”

Tor Miraborg offered only an angry, one-eyed glare in response.

“You have fought the Clans, firsthand. You, of all my precentors, may have an insight into how they think.” Tiepolo leaned forward, his fingertips pressed together. “I wish to elevate you to the rank of Precentor Martial, and set you to the task of training the Com Guards for one purpose: the defeat of the Clans.”

Miraborg didn’t budge. “… You know my price, Primus.”

Tiepolo nodded. “… When we succeed… ComStar will formally recognize the free state of Rasalhague—”

“And help reclaim it, from the Clans.”

Tiepolo nodded.

Miraborg remained unsatisfied, “And help defend it, for the next hundred years, from the Draconis Combine.”

It was Tiepolo’s turn to frown. He met Miraborg’s fiery gaze with a look so cold, so calculating that for a moment Miraborg’s fury waned.

“Very well.”

Clovis Lestrade frowned, looking uncomfortable in the Ducal cape draped over his shoulders. Combined with the stark white paramilitary uniform, the new Duke of Skye felt he looked more like a tiny, not-bald parody of Janos Marik than a proper Duke.

The woman the people believed was Melissa Arthur Steiner sat behind him. They’d had very little time together, since the hasty wedding on Tharkad and even hastier journey to his new personal holdings on Summer.

Her fingertips brushed his shoulder. Clovis’ eyes flowed over the faces of the assembled leaders of nearly every planet in his demesne.

“You do me more honor than I deserve, today,” He began the anticipated speech. “It is with honor, and some sadness, that I accept the title of Duke of Summer. I wish to assure you, in light of my recent marriage, that I will not ignore your needs as my father continues to do.”

A hush fell over the assembled crowd.

“Citizens of the Skye,” Clovis continued, his rich voice apparently captivating his audience, “my father, the former Duke, has forsaken you in his bid for power. Have any of your fears been allayed since he seized control of the Lyran Commonwealth?”

The silence was filled with brief mutterings of discontent. Clovis hoped, silently, that they were not directed at him.

“Has he improved our economy as he promised? Has he protected our autonomy, as he promised?” His eyes met those of Greydon Brewer, the duke of Hesperus II. His gaze shifted to Iris Steiner, in her black dress and veil. Hers, he knew, would be the true lynchpin vote. Furillo was too important for the rest of Skye to ignore.

“Or has he sent our best and brightest off to die meaninglessly against a foe we do not yet understand?” Clovis stepped forward, trying to appear as tall as his miniscule height would allow. “No. The ex-Duke Lestrade styles himself the Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth. He’s seized power, and left his obligations to you as your Lord unfulfilled. And so they fall on me, your successor.”

His gaze swept the room again, the Griffins of the Home Guard flanking his throne a truly majestic sight, but also leant his words power in their silent support. They had accompanied the woman they believed to be the Archon from Tharkad—their duty was to her and her alone.

“Today, I announce the secession of the Isle of Skye, and the formation of the Skye Hegemony.” Clovis paused, his gaze sweeping the stunned crowd. “This is not treason,” he barked loudly, “for the Lyran Commonwealth has already betrayed us. We will protect our own! We will protect Skye interests from outside exploitation! We will no longer be ignored!”

“Furillio,” Duchess Iris Steiner spoke from the crowd, tears streaking her angry features. She’d taken the loss of her only son, the future Duke, hard. “Stands with you, Duke Lestrade.”

She glared daggers at Greydon Brewer, “… as do all worlds under our protection.”

The silence broken, a growing swell of assent rose from those assembled. Clovis swallowed.

Skye was free.

Duke Lestrade twitched as his unfeeling fingers tore a missive in half. His hands shook with apoplectic rage, his features turning first red, then purple. With a roar of frustration, he swept a glass pitcher of water from the table in front of him, sending his economic advisor bolting for the door.

“Simon,” His words hissed through clenched teeth like steam escaping a teapot. “How could this have happened? How could I have underestimated my son so badly?”

He glowered, “… I see Melissa’s hand in this.”

“Perhaps not,” Simon Johnson mused, quietly unhelpful. “I wonder… how much of his buffoonery was an act.”

A quiet calm passed over Aldo Lestrade’s features so suddenly that for an instant Simon quietly feared the ex-Duke had suffered a stroke. “So he is a Lestrade,” Aldo whispered quietly, “after all.”

His expression placid, Aldo turned to Johnson. “I want spin teams on this immediately; and get Duke Frederick to Tharkad at once. It seems the fool will be Archon after all.”

Johnson nodded, then asked the obvious question, “… What will we do about Skye?”

Political Vote 7:
A) Well, gently caress.
B) INVADE SKYE!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Well uh... drat..

gently caress?

uh.

I'm gonna have to think about this one.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
INVADE SKYE!

I forsee Lestrades inevitable descent into madness starting here.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
A). There are bigger fish to fry at the moment and it's not like they can't be invaded later.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Well, gently caress.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Well, gently caress it is.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Oh, good. The Isle of Skye has a long, storied tradition of rebelling at the worst possible moments.

They also have a long, storied tradition of losing, so B, invade!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Frederick Steiner is going to bust up some fools.

Which fools have yet to be determined.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

drat. Miraborg showing his teeth and Clovis finally showing the massive set of balls he's been concealing so far. I'm no Steiner fan but I gotta admit I like his chops. His timing is nearly perfect, too. With the Clans bearing down and the HPGs out over such a large area, the Lyrans can't afford in the least to rein in a rogue state. Which means it's too bad that Aldo is a vengeful son of a bitch and has to kill his son when he INVADES SKYE.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
On the one hand, Aldo is a cool, logical plotter and not apt to fly off the handle.

On the other, he's just been blindsided by his badly underestimated son when everything that he always wanted was finally within his grasp.

I'm going to go with A since it's almost certainly what Clovis thought would happen, and his estimation of his father's response would be better than mine.

Also, gently caress yeah, Tor Miraborg!!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

A. Right now we need Frederick Steiner focusing his effort against the Clans. Free Skye will meets it painful end (yet again) once that is dealt with.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Well, gently caress.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
My choice is A)Well, gently caress. Aldo got played by Clovis, plain and simple, and any rash actions like an invasion of Skye would be detrimental to PR. In the meantime, let's have Aldo watch Skye and see how Clovis acts.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Right, after thinking about it, I like the shitstorm that a Free Skye (and Furillo/Hesperus) creates.

I'm going with A) Well, gently caress.

Jesus christ PTN, you toy with our emotions.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A. Well, gently caress it shall be.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Also, the start of a Rasalhague Republic. :swoon:

A shame about the whole Clan Invasion thing.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Going to go with A) Well, gently caress. From the little I know about BattleTech, I got no love for Aldo, and his son showing him up again is all sorts of awesome. Anything to tweak him is therefore good. Wreck his plans to seize the office of Archon for himself outright. Fredrick Steiner should be out leading the fight against the Clans, rather than throwing forces at Skye, which has the support of Defiance Industries on both Furillo and Hesperus II.

Also, Tor Miraborg as the Precentor Martial? And a ComStar guarantee for Rasalhague after the war is over, plus a defense pact? Interesting.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

We all know what the first thought that ran through Aldo's head was, "Well gently caress".

Better would have been a laser bolt, but we can always hope.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
:staredog:

Well... gently caress.

Without Hesperus and Furillo... the Lestrand is kindof toast. With much of their army tied up fighting the clans... poo poo... He might have to consider aligning the country with another successor state. The FS is kindof out... And there's no way in hell they're having anything to do with the dracs, who are also fighting clans... Which leaves the most reliable ally in the Inner Sphere, the Free World's League.

There is no way this plan can go wrong, especially with real Melissa Steiner sitting right in the middle.

So for maximum Marik in every way, I'm going to vote B: INVADE SKYE

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Political Vote 7:
A) Well, gently caress.
B) INVADE SKYE!

Well, gently caress. Time to B: INVADE SKYE!

Aldo won't be having this. It can't go down this way! The boy won't loving spit in the eyes of his betters, of his elders, of his father, not this way, not and get away with it!

It's time to polish the lightning bolt and get old school on the whelp's rear end! Zeus-style, yeah baby!

Really, I think Aldo's the kind of apocalyptic moron who would do this, and with something reasonably approaching what I just wrote as his reasoning, too. And as he does, as he tightens his grip, more systems will slip through his fingers. After all, the Archon Herself, Melissa Steiner (as far as anyone knows) is in Skye, supporting Skye.

That's a clear sign that the bastards on Tharkadd have abandoned the Lyran people. I forsee the Skye Commonwealth forming out of this in short order. Let's have the Lyran Civil War!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Well, gently caress.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

A) Well, gently caress.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A. Clovis just made you his bitch, Lestrade. Suck it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
A, Cause sky will always be a huge bitch

• Locked thread