Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Griffins are still insufficient

Can one of the mechs you tried to sell us, pick up the archon (with its hands) then jump the gently caress out of the throne room with its jump jets? Because that's what a good bodyguard does. Get the VIP to safety.

I rest my case. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
An overweight mech with small lasers for AP work? Fast enough to give chase if the attackers flee?

-1A1 :colbert:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

Can one of the mechs you tried to sell us, pick up the archon (with its hands) then jump the gently caress out of the throne room with its jump jets?

And it's made by the Mariks. Would you let one of their treacherous machines near the Archon? It could defy physics and stackpole at any moment, betraying its masters.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Tarquinn posted:

Can one of the mechs you tried to sell us, pick up the archon (with its hands) then jump the gently caress out of the throne room with its jump jets? Because that's what a good bodyguard does. Get the VIP to safety.

The Atlas can pick the VIP up and put him in the cockpit. Now the VIP is literally sitting within the walking manifestation of death incarnate and it's other people who need to seek safety from him.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

The Atlas can pick the VIP up and put him in the cockpit. Now the VIP is literally sitting within the walking manifestation of death incarnate and it's other people who need to seek safety from him.

He takes 30 seconds getting the archon up there without crushing him, with his cockpit open, then flees at 3/5 and fits under no overpasses nor can fly over them. The assassins follow and you lose an archon every time an atlas takes an ammo TAC.

At no point do you want your VIP actively engaging enemies. the Atlass are the backup that arrives with the griffin going the other way at full speed.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I have no idea where or how the Atlas cockpit opens, but that sounds kinda hilarious.

Someone draw an Atlas gobbling up the Archon. :D

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Tarquinn posted:

I have no idea where or how the Atlas cockpit opens, but that sounds kinda hilarious.

Usual places are the sides or the back of the head (sides are most common, since they're less likely to be blocked if the 'Mech falls and the pilot needs to climb out in a hurry).

... Unless you're the Battlemaster (the whole goddamned glass bubble opens up like a jet fighter).

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Usual places are the sides or the back of the head (sides are most common, since they're less likely to be blocked if the 'Mech falls and the pilot needs to climb out in a hurry).

... Unless you're the Battlemaster (the whole goddamned glass bubble opens up like a jet fighter).

I always imagined piloting a mech to be akin to piloting a jet fighter, and so I always sort of thought meck cockpits worked like that.

lizurcainnon
May 5, 2008

Tarquinn posted:

Someone draw an Atlas gobbling up the Archon. :D

Someone should draw two AtlasCops in the throne room instead.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
If i had my way, i'd put two spiders in the throne room, maximum "gently caress you i'm gone"

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Artificer posted:

I always imagined piloting a mech to be akin to piloting a jet fighter, and so I always sort of thought meck cockpits worked like that.

It kind of varies from artist to artist. For example, the Hunchback from TRO Prototypes earlier showed the cockpit assembly clamshelling open rather than having hatches. Some other 'Mechs have shown the "face" sliding up like a canopy assembly on a jet fighter, so you're not far off.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Felime posted:

He takes 30 seconds getting the archon up there without crushing him, with his cockpit open, then flees at 3/5 and fits under no overpasses nor can fly over them. The assassins follow and you lose an archon every time an atlas takes an ammo TAC.

The solution to that is to fire off your AC/20 and LRM/20s all round erry round. If you're not deploying the final argument of kings, you're not trying.

quote:

At no point do you want your VIP actively engaging enemies. the Atlass are the backup that arrives with the griffin going the other way at full speed.

I think you missed the point of Battletech there, Felime. What kind of a King is afraid of an assassination attempt when he's in a frigging Atlas? Frankly, if the Archon or someone would rather puss out than jump in the cockpit and start laying waste to any and all interlopers, I'll go and find a ruler who will!

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 2, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've managed to turn a -4S variant into a baby Executioner, but more lethal up close. This was not my original intention. In depth 1 water, the thing can alpha and be almost completely heat neutral. I'd consider the mech terrifying to face, but it's also somewhat boring, like the Hellstar.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

At least if the mini is anything to go on, the Fafnir has an access door in the back to get to the cockpit... along with a lovely deck for the pilot to stand on and mock lesser people from. And if you pilot a Fafnir, everyone is is a lesser person then you.

Of course, the Fafnir mini is also heavy and pointy enough to serve as a deadly weapon, or could probably accidentally kill someone if it was dropped on them.

But otherwise, yeah. It's mostly based off whatever the artist/writer felt like at the time.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The best answer is to redesign the throne to be the command couch of a Battlemaster that's standing on a lower level with its head level with the floor. poo poo goes down, hit the button, bam - Battle Archon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Preechr posted:

The best answer is to redesign the throne to be the command couch of a Battlemaster that's standing on a lower level with its head level with the floor. poo poo goes down, hit the button, bam - Battle Archon.

That's pretty much the most Davion thing the Archon could ever do, though.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Archon needs a button that makes a solid silver fist slam down from the ceiling. Can't get much more Steiner than that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Merry Marauder posted:

Archon needs a button that makes a solid silver fist slam down from the ceiling. Can't get much more Steiner than that.

If you made the button drop an entire company of Atlases from the ceiling it might be a bit more Steiner :v:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The Griffin or the BKU is the most Optimal Mech to be a bodyguard. Hands down :colbert:

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Felime posted:

no matter what mech they changed it to, it would have elicited outrage.

The Griffin IIC :colbert:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

b0lt posted:

The Griffin IIC :colbert:

Clan Tech is suboptimal. After all the Clans are just big BV bloats. The Optimal is SLDF royals or Tech 1.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Just have the palace made out of battlemechs.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

AtomikKrab posted:

Just have the palace made out of be one giant battlemechs.

Fixed it for you.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

AtomikKrab posted:

Just have the palace made out of battlemechs.

better idea make the archon a battlemech it saves on needless civil wars and having to redo the portraits on the stamps when you need a new archon. Plus a battlemech is unlikely to declare war on anyone or raise taxes or be caught orchestrating the assassination of its own mother.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Axe-man posted:

Clan Tech is suboptimal. After all the Clans are just big BV bloats. The Optimal is SLDF royals or Tech 1.

I respectfully disagree with this. I will say this: Clan tech is very effective yet can be boring, SLDF Royals (i.e. Comstar stuff) is effective while being fun to work with (usually), and tech 1 stuff is terrible compared to the other two.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

PTN, is there going to be a special (maybe:final) mission which is everyone on the players list is given an urban mech, and the goal is to see how long we survive against wave after wave of clanners?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Felime posted:

And it's made by the Mariks. Would you let one of their treacherous machines near the Archon? It could defy physics and stackpole at any moment, betraying its masters.

Low blow! The Griffin is the first mech I started my advertisements with, and while there is a plant in Marik space, Defiance Industries manufactures not only the standard Star League model but also our own Steiner variant.

Anyway, in DA, the mechs in the throne room are Defiances. They use the shape of those PPC hands to their advantage, at one point shielding the Archon with one while firing with torso weapons.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I think you missed the point of Battletech there, Felime. What kind of a King is afraid of an assassination attempt when he's in a frigging Atlas? Frankly, if the Archon or someone would rather puss out than jump in the cockpit and start laying waste to any and all interlopers, I'll go and find a ruler who will!

Whereas I suspect you're missing the point of Battletech's Space Feudalism, namely "yes, it's all well and good that I'm an rear end-kicker but it's even better that I have several thousand other rear end-kickers to kick asses for me."

Also, Griffins rock.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

Anyway, in DA, the mechs in the throne room are Defiances.

I'm still amused that the first canon description of the Defiance was "Exactly like a Warhammer, but with chicken legs."

... And that's why I hate the Gray Death Legion.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

landcollector posted:

I respectfully disagree with this. I will say this: Clan tech is very effective yet can be boring, SLDF Royals (i.e. Comstar stuff) is effective while being fun to work with (usually), and tech 1 stuff is terrible compared to the other two.

Sarcasm detector is kinda out of whack for you :). I would say that tech 1 is very very fun. Tech 2 can be fun as well.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Freedom: Political Vote Results and Combat Theater Vote 8

Julien Tiepolo’s tired eyes snapped open as someone called for his attention. Deeply set in gaunt features, he swept the room with his gaze.

“Precentor Martial.”

Miraborg canted his head. Extensive nerve damage prevented him from doing much more than that. The pressure bandage over his eye had been removed, revealing a twisted, serpentine scar along his left cheek where a Clan armored-infantryman had nearly taken his eye with a swipe of a battle claw.

“Primus,” Miraborg spoke again, “we must end this interdiction.”

Tiepolo remained silent, steeped his fingers.

“The Clans won’t succeed without intelligence—”

“They will,” Miraborg replied. “They have every advantage. It’s the successor states who can’t win without communications; without being able to see where the Clans are. Primus, for all we know, they’re about to breach the dead zone. Any threat can be dealt with, if you see it coming.”

Tiepolo nodded quietly.

“I have come to similar conclusions, after reading your reports. These Clans seem… implacable. Nonetheless, I dislike giving them so much information; and if we restore the network—”

“Contact the Lyrans, and the Kuritas in advance. Tell them we may have defeated Clan jamming. Tell them, if the Clans know as much about the HPG network as they seem to, that they may be intercepting transmissions.”

Miraborg leaned forward, resting on his good arm. “Tell them we will be altering data, forcing the Clans to commit far more troops to targets of no strategic value; and that we will work with them—”

“I dislike that thought.”

“—a small price to pay, to defeat the Star League Defense Force. Tell them we will work with them, to set up ambushes. We have the knowledge, we have the capability. We need commit no troops, if we can pass word to the Successor States where the Clans assault forces will be at their weakest.”

Miraborg relaxed into his wheelchair. His white robes blending with the white cloth covering that hid most of the chair’s mechanisms from sight. “We die, without information. Clear the destroyer code.”

Tai-sho Kurita!”

An aide offered a deep bow, then kneeled in silence. Theodore Kurita frowned. There had been no need for such excitement since the Legions of Vega had been reassigned to Trolloc Prime. A mere two jumps from a dozen planets on the Lyran—now Skye—border, and perhaps three to reach any DCMS unit along the border of the colloquially-named ‘Dead Zone,’ the Legions of Vega were perfectly poised to throw their lives away when the time came.

Excitement meant the time had come, that the Clans had finally breached the area of their supposed jamming.

“It is time, then? The Clans have come?”

Gomen, iie!” His aide’s head shook. “ComStar has announced: they have found a way to end the Dead Zone jamming!”

Theodore frowned, couldn’t help but wonder precisely what games ComStar was playing.

“You are wanted badly in the command center, Tai-shoKurita. We expect an update of our military status from Luthien at any time.”

“—invest you, Duke Frederick Steiner, as the Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth!”

Thunderous applause rose to meet him as Archon Steiner settled into the Lyran throne. Flanked by a pair of Griffins from his own Tenth Lyran Guards, and Sanglamore sash draped proudly about his waist, he certainly looked the part, although some would doubtless believe a sixty year old man too old to rule for long, and Frederick had no obvious heir.

“People of the Lyran Commonwealth,” he began, his rich, commanding voice carrying with ease. “This is a troubled time for our people. The Clan invasion continues to sweep through our territory, protected by their own wall of utter silence.”

He stood again. “Worse, the secession of Skye has stripped from us many of our resources and trade. For all their shortsightedness, Skye, and Duke Clovis Holstein, are still Lyrans. I wish to assure you all today: I will not wage a war upon our own Lyran people.”

At Frederick’s side, Aldo Lestrade started, then glared at the new Archon.

“Skye can be returned to us, politically. For now, however? I formally recognize their nation, and my niece Melissa and her husband as Skye’s hereditary rulers. Let it be known throughout the successor states, that the Lyran Commonwealth will guarantee the continued safety and sovereignty of the Skye Hegemony, and pledge to defend her against all external threats.”

He turned, smiling, to the holocameras. “Our disputes can be settled peacefully, in time. For now, it is my sincerest hope that the people of Skye will continue to trade with us.”

He turned back to his audience, “… Talk of trade, however, brings me to my second official act as Archon: We will begin negotiations with the Free Worlds League for arms and equipment, and even mercenaries. We will need every advantage we can find to face the threat of these Clans.”

“Finally,” the Archon turned, quietly regarding his old mentor Aldo Lestrade, “I would like to formally honor the man who has guided our state through what is perhaps the greatest crisis in her history.”

He paused, warmth leeching from his expression. “I would like to honor him; but instead, I must condemn him. Guards! Seize the former Duke, Aldo Lestrade!”

“What?!” Aldo barked, writhing as guards seized his arms. Apparently well- briefed, the LOKI agents took care to seize Aldo’s prosthetic arm and immobilize it, lest he attempt to use the hidden laser pistol mounted within to assassinate the new Archon.

“It is my deepest regret,” Frederick turned to his audience, “that many of the charges leveled against Aldo Lestrade by his own son, and by our citizens in Skye, are true. Aldo Lestrade has nearly brought the great Lyran Commonwealth’s ship of state to ruin, but it is not too late save her!”

“No…” Theodore breathed as the first real intelligence they’d received in four months updated the map in the command center’s massive holotank.

“No, this cannot be!”

Tai-sho?”

Theodore Kurita rubbed his eyes with his hands, viewing for the first time the extent of the Clans’ invasion—not only into the Draconis Combine, but into Lyran space as well. Symbols for two dozen units were simply missing, others dotted the old border of the Dead Zone. Very few lay past, and several worlds pulsed blue: they were currently being invaded.

“The Hell’s Horses appear to have lost their direction.”

“Scout forces,” Theodore pointed out, “Searching for the outskirts of the Dead Zone.”

Proof positive of ComStar’s duplicity.

Theodore pointed at the map, “… We are deploying immediately.”

The other generals of the Legions of Vega regarded him as though he had lost his mind.

Tai-sho, we have received no orders—”

“The main Hell’s Horses push is here.” Theodore explained. Were they really too blind to see?

“Is it not as you said earlier? Simply scout forces—”

“No.” Theodore growled.

The Hell’s Horses were poised to strike the Black Pearl itself! Luthien, the capital of the Draconis Combine! With the bulk of the Draconis Combine’s forces spread thin along the Dead Zone…

“We will not make it in time.”

Combat Theater Vote 8

Alpha Keshik “Might Before Metal”
Alpha Galaxy “Stampede of Steel”
Omega Keshik “Hell’s Inferno”
Beta Galaxy “The Apocalypse”

The Hell’s Horses have launched an unexpected attack on Luthien, the capital of the Draconis Combine! Outnumbered and in dire straits, the Hell’s Horses stand poised to strike the head from the Dragon in a single decisive blow!

Northwind Highlanders
Although delayed by a visit to Tikonov, Chancellor Liao’s visit to the Northwind Highlanders is certain to arrive any day now…

1st Regulan Hussars
With the Free Worlds League’s morale crumbling in the face of a war that has seen no victory in months, the elite Rolling Thunder Company of the 1st Regulan Hussars are all that stand between the Capellans and total victory.

Solaris VII: “Under New Management”
With Mechwarriors of Skye looking to make a name for their nation against the best House Steiner has to offer, will the Capellans continue hold the Medium-weight championship, or will the vengeful Mechwarriors of House Marik stand to oppose them?

Combat Theater Vote 8:
A) Invasion of Luthien
B) Northwind Highlanders
C) 1st Regulan Hussars
D) Solaris VII: “Under New Management”

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 2, 2011

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

C) 1st Regulan Hussars because the FWL is the best and I am bored of stinky clanners and boring dracs :smugbert:

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
... Well, gently caress.

Is there really any option here?

Hell's Horses.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

A) Invasion of Luthien

Let us continue to blow the timeline all to hell! :buddy:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Really the only Choice here is the A) Invasion of Luthien

Who hasn't played that Mechwarrior 2 mission. It's literally one of the biggest awesomeness battles in battletech. This is the best update ever. Literally, it cannot be overdone how awesome this one is.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Is there really any choice when you lay such a large battle on our plates A all the way.

You know I don't think there is a single non-awesome thing in that update. But the entire Archon inauguration scene is by far the best.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 2, 2011

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
A No other option.

And apparently ether Fredrick Steiner was spared being dropped on his head as an infant in this universe, or he's suffered some hard enough knocks to bring out Anastasius Focht ten years before he's due.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I vote for all of them. But I'll lean A, because gently caress. (And some tiny part of me is convinced, for no real reason, that D will come up again.)

And I kinda want to see the Capellans win.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Axe-man posted:

Sarcasm detector is kinda out of whack for you :). I would say that tech 1 is very very fun. Tech 2 can be fun as well.

Meh. I do find it difficult to detect sarcasm in internet text sometimes. It's something I aspire to fix.

As for the update, holy poo poo! Aldo got owned, again! Two full Galaxies plus two keshicks attacking Luthien?! I think Luthien is proper hosed.

My vote-
As much as I want to see Clanners steamroll the DC (and I really do!), I also don't want the Cappies winning victory against the FWL. Hmmm. Oh well, I don't care that much for the FWL. My choice is A) Invasion of Luthien :black101:. May the Hell's Horses be the Yellow Bird that topples the dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

gently caress playing Clanners.

"the elite Rolling Thunder Company of the 1st Regulan Hussars are all that stand between the Capellans and total victory" sounds like more fun.

• Locked thread