Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Brandy Collins posted:

Consecutively. I think we all mean consecutively.

Yeah, this. There's no reason to waste a highly demanded scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Current votes are

A) Invasion of Luthien (57)
B) Northwind Highlanders (1)
C) 1st Regulan Hussars (63)
D) Solaris VII: “Under New Management” (1)

and I think that's a good place to call it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's the plan. Concurrent runs would drive me insane... it's hard enough to avoid errors as-is.

Also, I hope y'all like fighting in hurricanes.

I did play that Ace Combat game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

On the State of the Clans:

Well, that's certainly paints things in a whole new light. Also :3: Natasha and Joshua. Ain'tcha glad the Samurai Vikings didn't off him? That would've been horrible. And Goonlance would've been horrible people.

Also, Clan Blood Spirit is respected! They got shat upon so much in canon (and the post-Jihad era) that this change alone raises my respect for the Clans as a whole.

Vipers trolling the rest of the clans amounts to them basically going native and playing nice. There is pretty much no way I can't not vote for them now. I mean, I was already willing to put my dislike of the Clans aside to vote for anything involving Vipers before, but this and the :swoon:King Cobra:swoon: clinches it.

On Hurricanes: SPRAY THE HEADS

Edited

Runa fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 3, 2011

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Current votes are

A) Invasion of Luthien (57)
B) Northwind Highlanders (1)
C) 1st Regulan Hussars (63)
D) Solaris VII: “Under New Management” (1)

and I think that's a good place to call it.

Oh no :(

I certainly hope that at the very least we'll get another shot at this, considering how close the vote was.

Wait a minute, Solaris only got a single vote? I was almost certain more people voted for that. Maybe it's just the Solaris fan in me saying that though and coloring my memories.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

evilmiera posted:

Wait a minute, Solaris only got a single vote? I was almost certain more people voted for that. Maybe it's just the Solaris fan in me saying that though and coloring my memories.

Maybe after we decide the fate of a couple large chunks of the galaxy the thread should decompress with some goon-on-goon mech violence on Solaris.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I am happy with this compromise (although I still don't like the clans much). I do think there's still people not giving PTN credit for being able to make any option we pick awesome, though.

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I am happy with this compromise (although I still don't like the clans much). I do think there's still people not giving PTN credit for being able to make any option we pick awesome, though.

Agreed. Props to PTN for the entire thread. I have been captivated since the beginning, and he has inspired me to start rebooting my own campaign for my regular group.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
:ignore: This was before PTN edited his post

Affi fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 3, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

So what was up with the Nova Cats? They didnt get a writeup did they?

They did, I just posted an old copy of the file (they're not much changed, they still spend the majority of their time trolling the Smoke Jaguars and smoking space-weed). Fixed.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

landcollector posted:

Hey Keru, you never told me your decision about the Battlemasters. For reference:

You realise I wasn't actually out to buy Battlemasters painted in Purple and Gold? I was making a quip based on the whole Marik liking purple/gold and my gangtag.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Keru posted:

You realise I wasn't actually out to buy Battlemasters painted in Purple and Gold? I was making a quip based on the whole Marik liking purple/gold and my gangtag.

I do realize that. Roleplaying Keru, roleplaying! :)

v v v I'm not that good at it myself, but I keep trying.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 3, 2011

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

landcollector posted:

I do realize that. Roleplaying Keru, roleplaying! :)

Well that explains that, I don't roleplay because I'm terrible at it. :)

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

PoptartsNinja posted:

They did, I just posted an old copy of the file (they're not much changed, they still spend the majority of their time trolling the Smoke Jaguars and smoking space-weed). Fixed.

The image of a fogged out mech cockpit covered in Grateful Dead and Phish decals just made me laugh like an idiot. Bravo, sir.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Trast posted:

The image of a fogged out mech cockpit covered in Grateful Dead and Phish decals just made me laugh like an idiot. Bravo, sir.

I would absolutely play this Clan.

Come hear Uncle John's Star, stomping down the 'sphere.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

they're not much changed, they still spend the majority of their time trolling the Smoke Jaguars and smoking space-weed

Hey man you know whats wrong with government man? they like make choices that you man should be the one who makes them

Have you ever read the rememberance, high? :350:

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 3, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
You know what we need? Some green*-hot Clan-on-Clan action!

*cER lasers. They're green, doncha know.

Such as the Goliath Scorpions deciding to go ape on the Widowmakers' homeworld holdings, for instance, or their attacks on their backwards holdings from the invasion.

Though, I have to say I like the Blood Spirits' write-up. They seem almost like special arbiters. I bet every last one of their all-Bloodnamed warriors is driving around an OmniMech... I wonder what kind of interesting situation could make them take the field for realsies?

Also, PTN, please clarify a point to me. You said that the Blood Spirits' votes were largely ignored. Did you mean that as in practically ignored, IE, their numbers are so few their vote can't sway anything, or actually ignored, as in outright discarded?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Yay! Thanks for doing both battles for us after all! I'm really looking forward to both of them.

Although next time you probably shouldn't tell us beforehand who would have won a battle if it had occured off-screen. I'm guessing this puts a tiiiny bit of pressure on the players...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Combat Theater Vote 8 Results:

The 1st Regulan Hussars vie to score a win for the League with 67 votes!
53 people can’t resists the Hell’s Horses and their love of higher education.
The Northwind Highlanders and Solaris VII defy the odds with one vote each!

Saving Janos Marik

“Bravo and Charlie report,” Lieutenant Joshua Davion’s voice crackled. Paul Masters, Captain of the Rolling Thunder Company, could picture his grin. “They’ve engaged the Cappies on the far side of the bay. Looks like all of the enemy fast-movers are moving to engage. Just like you predicted, sir.”

“That still leaves two lances, give or take,” Masters replied coolly. “Not a problem, if we play our cards right. Gentlemen, and lady—shall we?”

“Janos Marik is waiting for us,” Sergeant Major Rebecca Cage said, stifling a laugh that was nearly a giggle.

“Wouldn’t want to keep my namesake waiting,” Corporal Valens replied with a laugh of his own.

“Be a shame to have to sink it. The Janos Marik is a fine ship.”

“You won’t think so if the Capellans get her back in action and start shelling the rest of the regiment,” Masters pointed out. “We’ve got a Karnov inbound with a skeleton crew—but we need to clear out the Capellans. If thinks look dicey, we’ll have to scuttle the ship and go.”

“Captain,” Sergeant Cage interjected, “I don’t think we could sink the Janos Marik if things start going south. We’ll have to either commit to it destroying it now, or focus on the Capellans.”

Masters’ Orion twisted at the waist, and offered a slight bow. An impressive feet for a ‘Mech struggling to keep its balance as it marched across the bottom of the ocean. “Just so. We’ll make that call once we see what the Capellans are fielding. If we’re badly outgunned, we’ll sink the ship. Otherwise, you’d better clear a space for another medal because we’re saving Janos Marik!”

The Map:

1st Regulan Hussars, Rolling Thunder Company
AWS-8Q Awesome – Sergeant Major Rebecca Cage (g2p3) (Canopus250)
ON1-K Orion – Captain Paul Masters (g2p3) (Defiance Industries)
OSR-2C Ostroc – Corporal Janos Valens (g2p3) (ActionZero)
GLD-4R Gladiator – Lieutenant Joshua Davion (g2p3) (Empyreal)

Alternates, please stand by:
AtlantisMantis
ShadowDragon8685 Sorry, you’re getting Luthien.
Shadow Gamer
Guitar_Hero

Warrior House Lu Sann
RVN-1X Raven (g3p4)
UM-R60G Urbanmech (g3p4)
UM-R60G Urbanmech (g3p4)
BMB-10D Bombardier (g2p3)

2nd Capellan Defense Force
MON-67 Mongoose (g4p5)
UM-R60 Urbanmech (g4p5)
HER-1A Hermes (g4p5)
WTH-1 Whitworth (g3p4)

Mission Objectives
Destroy All Enemy Forces
OR
Destroy the Janos Marik

Secondary Objective
Don’t Destroy the Janos Marik

New House Rules:
Lightning Storm: All attacks suffer a +1 penalty to hit due to light rain, all missile attacks suffer an additional +1 to hit due to moderate wind. Every turn, lightning has a chance to strike random hexes.

A Break in the Weather: Every player may opt to see a 'break' in the weather, removing the rain and wind penalties for all attackers. Each individual player may only 'break' the weather once. The lightning effect still occurs.

Naval Unit: The Janos Marik is an ocean-going artillery platform. It can absorb 160 damage to any single hex before it begins sinking.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 3, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Holy poo poo I get to play as Paul Masters? Holy poo poo. OTOH, +2 to missile rolls makes my Orion not as great. Such is life. It hurts that Bombardier much worse, at least.

Also: that is a loving sweet lance setup we got.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Down where it's better, undah dah seaaaa.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
This is the BEST scenario.

Best goonlance, best opfor.

and lightning! :science:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Knock that Raven out early, jamming is really going to gently caress with things when there is already and environmental penalty to shooting.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

I'm going out on a limb here and assume the Urbanmech UM-60G is a 'Gauss Variant' that PTN cooked up.

Keru fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 3, 2011

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Knock that Raven out early, jamming is really going to gently caress with things when there is already and environmental penalty to shooting.

The G urbanmechs, which I assume means gauss... they pack a hell of a punch, but have to be even more fragile than normal urbies.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zeroisanumber posted:

I don't know if we want to commit to that immediately. We don't have specialized electronics for it to knock out and it's a -1X Raven, which means it's devoted 7.5 tons to an ECM/BAP combo. So it MAY be a huge deal, but it also may be a red herring.

I would say, with our Awesome and our Gladiator, we can put a lot of PPC fire downfield at those Urbies with GRs. If that Gauss urbie is anything like the Hollander I cooked up, it's probably not got enough armor to stop a PPC hit anywhere.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
No wonder Shadowdragon was so adamant about Luthien this go around. Looks like a fun mission.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Specifically abstained from the vote because I liked both scenarios too much to pick one, but I'm perfectly happy to see how things turned out.

AWS-8Q? Paul Masters? Sold! :neckbeard:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Looks to me like we have a lot of open terrain, so if you get LOS the odds are you're gonna get hit with something. However, staying out of LOS can help alot. We're all really good pilots, so moving into a building is a very viable move, since we're likely to make the PSR.

This is especially a good move for the Awesome, which is best operated as a semi-mobile turret anyway. Those PPCs on the Awesome and the Gladiator are going to be big difference-makers. Remember with the Awesome you can fire 3 PPCs, then 3, then two and stay pretty good on heat.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 3, 2011

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

I don't know if we want to commit to that immediately. We don't have specialized electronics for it to knock out and it's a -1X Raven, which means it's devoted 7.5 tons to an ECM/BAP combo. So it MAY be a huge deal, but it also may be a red herring.

It might also be hilarious to shoot at and make dance.

I really wish I knew more about strategy for the actual game and less about the PC versons.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Chances are the G is just a quick refit of the R60L, so yeah, like two tons less armor.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

I would say, with our Awesome and our Gladiator, we can put a lot of PPC fire downfield at those Urbies with GRs. If that Gauss urbie is anything like the Hollander I cooked up, it's probably not got enough armor to stop a PPC hit anywhere.

If it follows tech 1 rules (+gauss rifle) it should, at best, have about 4.5 tons of armor, unless it has the jumpjets removed, giving it 6.5 possible tons of armor with only a gauss rifle + 1 ton of ammo for armament.

Should be interesting to see what it actually is, though. Us going 'oh god Gauss Rifle!' is just guesswork at this point.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

1st Regulan Hussars, Rolling Thunder Company
AWS-8Q Awesome – Sergeant Major Rebecca Cage (g2p3) (Canopus250)
ON1-K Orion – Captain Paul Masters (g2p3) (Defiance Industries)
OSR-2C Ostroc – Corporal Janos Valens (g2p3) (ActionZero)
GLD-4R Gladiator – Lieutenant Joshua Davion (g2p3) (Empyreal)

drat straight. Can't have a FWL mission without the Orion, no sir. And a Gladiator for some reason! Really looking forward to this.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ The Gladiator is actually canon as a 'common' FWL 'Mech. 'Cause the Kuritas had to dump them on someone.

Keru posted:

Should be interesting to see what it actually is, though.

Clearly, the UM-R60G is the M.A.S.H. variant and you're all monsters for wanting to shoot at them!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Keru posted:

If it follows tech 1 rules (+gauss rifle) it should, at best, have about 4.5 tons of armor, unless it has the jumpjets removed, giving it 6.5 possible tons of armor with only a gauss rifle + 1 ton of ammo for armament.

Should be interesting to see what it actually is, though. Us going 'oh god Gauss Rifle!' is just guesswork at this point.

Way I see it, blasting them with PPCs at range is just the best way to be safe. Also there's a semi-decent chance if they have GRs they might die in one shot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Also, players, please don't neglect the 'break in the weather' special rule.

Use it when you absolutely can't afford to miss, you each only get it once.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ The Gladiator is actually canon as a 'common' FWL 'Mech. 'Cause the Kuritas had to dump them on someone.

Clearly, the UM-R60G is the M.A.S.H. variant and you're all monsters for wanting to shoot at them!

I hope it's Frank Burns piloting one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, lessee what the good guys have...

AWS-8Q Awesome
80 tons
54 kph
3x PPC
1x Small Laser

ON1-K Orion
75 tons
64.8 kph
1x AC/10
1x LRM-15
2x Medium Laser
1x SRM-4

OSR-2C Ostroc
60 tons
86.4 kph
2x Large Lasers
2x Medium Lasers
1x SRM-4

GLD-4R Gladiator
55 tons
86 kph
1x PPC
2x Medium Lasers
1x SRM-6

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just like the Capellans to hide behind MedicMechs as human shields!

From the looks of it only the Hermes and Mongoose might be slippery to shoot at, but I'm willing to bet that most of the port is paved terrain so "slippery" most certainly won't be an asset. Their pilots ain't exactly the cream of the crop either.

While only the Gladiator has much mobility, the map looks clear with a lot of room to lay down some pain. We trust in the skills of the pilots and the players to give Uncle Liao a good kick in the keister.

Goonlance may be outnumbered two to one but that shouldn't be a problem for Rolling Thunder. Who knows, if y'all manage to save the ship, y'all might get... Knighted.

note to Duncan: read arthurian romances, it'll be great

EDIT:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also, players, please don't neglect the 'break in the weather' special rule.

Use it when you absolutely can't afford to miss, you each only get it once.

Does Break In The Weather have a duration for a whole turn or just a single player's attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Well thanks to this thread I've just ordered the Battletech starter kit from Wayland games - THANKS A LOT PTM. Now I have to convince people to play the drat thing...

• Locked thread