Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Also remember that the DCMS is and always has been portrayed as Feudal Japan in Space, with a glaze of modernity. If a Diamyo lord circa, say, the 1300s got shot in the back by a lone cowardly archer while he was surveying the scenery of a victory, it's entirely likely his son could order the people of the province who did it put to death.

I mean, that's obviously the kind of event they were going for, but there's a massive difference between a short little reprisal and how Kentares is portrayed fluff-wise, which is the point that I was trying to make. Burning a town to the ground out of spite is one thing. But the scale of the Kentares Massacre requires certain other considerations to allow it to have actually happened in-universe in a reasonable, logical way. It is essentially just a device: something that allows for a reasonable rallying point and explanation for the Federated Suns' rapid turnaround in the 1st Succession War, while also letting them be seen as a wronged party. It exists in place of, say, massive guerilla campaigns on occupied worlds combined with the AFFS exploiting lengthy and overstretched supply lines on the DCMS' part. That would be more logical, but it would be less iconic - the problem is that they went for the imagery and iconic nature of such a history-turning event without considering the mechanics of how that sort of thing actually happens. Again: genocides aren't just a thing that magically happens, there's a lot of factors that come into play, and most of them historically are far below the "efficiency" of the Kentares Massacre.

To put it another way: most of Battletech fiction and fluff doesn't take into consideration the technological, economic, political and societal ramifications of its own setting. It is about taking the imagery and iconography of a specific time period (feudal Europe/East Asia) and transporting it into a completely different time period - but without accounting for the changes that really ought to exist as a result of that. Something like the Kentares Massacre is obviously designed to evoke a certain historical parallel, and a set of images, emotions and ideas, rather than to be an event that is plausible in all its stated dimensions.

It's sort of what gives Battletech its ridiculous, vaguely derpy charm, but it's also perfectly legitimate to consider why it is flawed, as many people in this thread have been attempting to do. Most of us know the stated, in-universe reasons for things, but most of us are also interested in the real world. Remember, too, that science fiction, as a genre, is supposed to be able to tell us things about humanity and about ourselves. This kind of analysis is part of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ActionZero posted:

poo poo! Sorry! Sent!

No worries, I wasn't serious. I have other plans for Defiance Industries.

VVV One of the missions that was skipped was a mission to steal some.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 6, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

One day you will all see the ridiculous, ridiculous Hollander I built in action. And you will say "it has a Gauss rifle. One that shoots. It does exactly what i was told and nothing else. Bravo."

E: trying to keep one of those things alive on your way out would have been AWFUL. 4/6 movement and 4 tons of armor!

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 6, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

E: trying to keep one of those things alive on your way out would have been AWFUL. 4/6 movement and 4 tons of armor!

That's half the fun!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Also remember that the DCMS is and always has been portrayed as Feudal Japan in Space, with a glaze of modernity. If a Diamyo lord circa, say, the 1300s got shot in the back by a lone cowardly archer while he was surveying the scenery of a victory, it's entirely likely his son could order the people of the province who did it put to death.

In my opion they aren't really channeling Feudal Japan so much as World War 2 era Japan. They both kinda hold up the same values, but one takes them to a more vicious degree in some respects. Seen in that light, I think the idea behind the Kentares Massacre was to invoke the specter of the Rape of Nanking more than "plausible genocide plan".

One of the reasons I regarded the old DC as a bad guy was invoking that particular model; that plus they always seemed to have a much worse aggressive rear end in a top hat to reasonably decent people ratio than the other Succcessor States in their leaders and other famous folks (even Liao has better press really). The number of times "Dracs do something egotistical/aggressive to somebody" comes up in the BT history pre-Theodore is kinda noticable, to put it mildly.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

We need look no farther than Leonard Kurita to prove that.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh
You only have to damage an ecosystem to kill all the humans, though this usually means major changes which brings with it 'temporary' damage at best. Especially if you're just going to kill 90% of the population you could limit the environmental destruction by a lot.

On an overpopulated planet like Earth it'd be frighteningly easy, just take out the production of ammonium nitrate and you could eliminate at least a billion people (probably two) iirc, unless science managed to rush a solution. Not sure how you'd poison fresh water sources...
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Haber_process, ok yeah, it's definitely two billion)

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 6, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

cwDeici posted:

On an overpopulated planet like Earth it'd be frighteningly easy, just take out the production of ammonium nitrate and you could eliminate at least a billion people (probably two) iirc, unless science managed to rush a solution. Not sure how you'd poison fresh water sources...

I think that's a large part of the Kentares Massacre, honestly. The percentage population isn't necessarily what was actively killed. All it takes is a lance of firestarters and boom, 90% of the planet's food generation capability is now on fire.

Speaking of things only a Kurita could ever do: I have just conceptually weaponized a zen rock garden.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 6, 2011

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I think we're getting a wee bit bent out of shape talking about the logistics and mechanics of operating a genocide on a planetary scale. It's fiction. We're talking about 15 meter tall 'robots' piloted by people in speedos and vests filled with highly corrosive liquids. These robots use synthetic electro muscles for Godsake.
The canon may be impressively stupid, but its what we have to deal with.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Speaking of things only a Kurita could ever do: I have just conceptually weaponized a zen rock garden.

Oh those poor Clanners.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

PoptartsNinja posted:

Go on. :allears: I desperately want to know more.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Tamar Tigers were attacking Luthien before it was cool. Now people think cause they're the Tamar Tigers all you need is a fursuit to be legit?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

PoptartsNinja posted:

No great feat. You throw the rocks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Go on. :allears: I desperately want to know more.

What better moat for Unity Palace than a Rock Garden with boulders the size of Battlemechs (that have to be moved seasonally because they represent, conceptually, every planet under the Coordinator's control (Kami protect the poor workers during wartime)) which also employs thousands of the Dragon's Tears simply to keep the damned gravel raked into submission Ki-soothing wavy patterns (while the Coordinator is sleeping of course (because God Forbid he'd see one fixing a footprint or something))?

The best thing: because of the perimeter walls, he can't even see the damned thing; but thousands of loyal Dracs turn up every night like clockwork to make sure not a single pebble is out of place.

... It's akin to a metaphor for the Combine as a whole, honestly.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 6, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In one of the battles in Return of the Condor Heroes, the most formidable villain of the story was held off by a group of underpowered youngsters and one crafty strategist through the constant shifting rearrangement of boulders (these are super-strong magical kung fu people, mere boulders are no big deal) over inhospitable terrain, a tactic inspired by Zhuge Liang's infamous Stone Maze ploy.

Would be terribly cool of that got scaled up by, oh, a couple hundred tons each rock.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A mech that carries a giant rake? And you thought the chainsaw mech was goofy dangerous.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Zaodai posted:

A mech that carries a giant rake? And you thought the chainsaw mech was goofy dangerous.

Wolverine WVR-6R moves onto Hex 2201. Steps on Mech-Rake! Rolls 5, needs 8: fails! Wolverine WVR-6R takes 5 HD damage from the Mech-Rake handle! Pilot rolls to remain conscious...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Wolverine WVR-6R moves onto Hex 2201. Steps on Mech-Rake! Rolls 5, needs 8: fails! Wolverine WVR-6R takes 5 HD damage from the Mech-Rake handle! Pilot rolls to remain conscious...

Repeat this sixty times to complete the homage.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Edit: Beaten like a Capellen battlemech regiment in the 4th Succession War.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dolash posted:

No great feat. You throw the rocks.

This is response is like a koan:

"How do you weaponize a rock garden?"
"Throw the rocks."

I'd like to imagine that completing this koan is the final test necessary to join the DC special forces.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's not a koan if there's a rational answer. The entire purpose is to expand your mind to look beyond normal reason.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In the Battletech universe Koans are part of the Chan tradition that started in the 2134 "Chan Reborn" movement that sought to re-examine Zen's roots in Chinese mysticism. One of the results is a two-tiered classification of Koans, one class of which are practical or "Yin" koans that are intended to have a correct answer, and the other which are mystical or "Yang" koans, which are what we currently think of as Zen Koans. You can see the Chinese tradition of syncretism in this dualism, which owes more to the traditional Chinese Tao worldview than the original Buddhist teachings. In any case, Japanese Zen Buddhism as we know it today is not the brand that was exported from 23rd century Earth in Battletech's diaspora period, but a more syncretic and pliable form that was supposed to address believers' more practical concerns as well as spiritual needs. Indeed, that's probably why it was successful, whereas the Zen Buddhism of today is, for most people, more of a conversation piece than an accessible religion.

:smug:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 6, 2011

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Arglebargle III posted:

In the Battletech universe Koans are part of the Chan tradition that started in the 2134 "Chan Reborn" movement that sought to re-examine Zen's roots in Chinese mysticism. One of the results is a two-tiered classification of Koans, one class of which are practical or "Yin" koans that are intended to have a correct answer, and the other which are mystical or "Yang" koans, which are what we currently think of as Zen Koans. You can see the Chinese tradition of syncretism in this dualism, which owes more to the traditional Chinese Tao worldview than the original Buddhist teachings. In any case, Japanese Zen Buddhism as we know it today is not the brand that was exported from 23rd century Earth in Battletech's diaspora period, but a more syncretic and pliable form that was supposed to address believers' more practical concerns as well as spiritual needs. Indeed, that's probably why it was successful, whereas the Zen Buddhism of today is, for most people, more of a conversation piece than an accessible religion.

I have no idea if this is genuine Battletech backstory or if I should be asking whether Yin or Yang generates more heat.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

Actually, Katrina Steiner beat you to it. :)

Fil5000 posted:

I have no idea if this is genuine Battletech backstory or if I should be asking whether Yin or Yang generates more heat.

It's probably genuine, but Yang generates more heat, unless we're discussing Clan Yin or Clan Yang. Which is a trick question, because the Clans discarded the Yang, but engineered the Extended-Range Yin, which has twice as much range and generates half again as much heat.

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 6, 2011

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Let's Play Battletech: Which Koan Generates More Heat?

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh
What I've read is that the whole bombing London instead of airbases thing was a purposeful act by the British who bombed Berlin to bait Hitler into petty revenge at London. Not sure how correct this is, but if so, well done!

Btw., what side will Hired Goons serve? Do we have to pick one at all, and if yes, will it be Steiner?
(Hopefully my wifi connection turns out to be good enough.)

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 6, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Arglebargle III posted:

Another little known fact: All the power in the Draconis Combine is supplied from magnets attached to the corpse of Buddha. He's spinning so fast in his grave that it easily powers the hundreds of worlds the Combine control.

Incidentally, the Combine didn't even exist until 2139. If any of that paragraph were actually true, the Combine would have formed by congealing from a pool of pure bullshit rather than any form of political movement.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah that was completely made up.

Fun "fact" the Draconis Combine has never mastered electrical generation technology. All Draconis Combine technology is powered by spinning pieces of the Buddha. This is why the Combine has such a notoriously poor industrial sector: there are limited Buddha-pieces. Want a new battlemech? You have to wait until a sufficiently large Buddha piece is made available by the failure of some other device. The Combine experimented with pieces of other religious figures, but no other corpse was capable of the same energy density as the Buddha. Nanak Dev's body parts managed to power two Mech regiments, but otherwise it's all been very disappointing.

Legitimate Battletech Background (TM)

That entire paragraph is 100% bullshit, and it's kinda funny that the date is what gave it away.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 6, 2011

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah that was completely made up.

Fun "fact" the Draconis Combine has never mastered electrical generation technology. All Draconis Combine technology is powered by spinning pieces of the Buddha. This is why the Combine has such a notoriously poor industrial sector: there are limited Buddha-pieces. Want a new battlemech? You have to wait until a sufficiently large Buddha piece is made available by the failure of some other device. The Combine experimented with pieces of other religious figures, but no other corpse was capable of the same energy density as the Buddha. Nanak Dev's body parts managed to power two Mech regiments, but otherwise it's all been very disappointing.

Legitimate Battletech Background (TM)

That entire paragraph is 100% bullshit, and it's kinda funny that the date is what gave it away.

Clan Buddha generators are half the size and produce twice the power per unit of Buddha.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Clan Buddha generators are half the size and produce twice the power per unit of Buddha.

That's only impressive until ComStar starts to allow the Inner Sphere to mass-produce Bodhisattva engines. It's not as efficient as Clan Buddha generators, but you can fit an entire holy skeleton into each power center!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Saving Janos Marik: Tactical Update 9

Combat Phase
A Awesome
- Fires PPC at 8 Urbanmech (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 weather = 6): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (0/8 armor, 5/7 structure remains)! Critical chance!
- Fires PPC at 8 Urbanmech (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 weather = 6): rolled 10, hit Center Torso (1/11 armor remains)!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 27!

S Ostroc
- Torso Twists to threaten hex 0314
- Fires Large Laser at 8 Urbanmech (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 weather = 4): rolled 6, hit Right Torso (0/7 structure remains)! Torso destroyed, arm blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (0/11 armor, 8/10 structure remains)! Critical chance!
- Fires Large Laser at 8 Urbanmech (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 weather = 4): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (2/10 armor remains)!
Gains 17 heat, sinks 15! Overheating!

G Gladiator
- Fires Medium Laser at 8 Urbanmech (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 weather = 8): rolled 2, miss! (this would’ve also been a TAC. Dice! :argh: )
- Fires Medium Laser at 8 Urbanmech (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 weather = 8): rolled 8, hit Left Torso (3/8 armor remains)!
Gains 11 heat, sinks 13!

1 Bombardier
- Fires LRM-20 at S Ostroc (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 minimum range + 2 weather - 1 LK Missile = 5): rolled 8, 12 missiles hit Right Leg (15/20 armor remains), Center Torso (1/22 armor remains), Left Torso (19/22 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-20 at S Ostroc (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 minimum range + 2 weather - 1 LK Missile = 5): rolled 3, miss!

3 Urbanmech
- Holds fire!

5 Whitworth
- Holds fire!

8 Urbanmech
- Fires Autocannon/10 at S Ostroc (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 weather = 8): rolled 7, miss!

9 Stalker
- Holds fire!

End Phase:
8 Urbanmech
- Critical Chance in Center Torso! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Gyro hit!
- - Gyro destroyed!
`Mech destroyed!

Turn End Phase:
Lightning strikes two hexes at minimum power this turn!
- Lightning strikes hex 1713!
- Lightning strikes hex 0804!

The storm battered at Sergeant Cage’s Awesome, more persistent than any human foe. Rain fell in rolling sheets, pummeling the Awesome’s battered armor relentlessly. The downpour seemed to pause momentarily as her PPCs discharged, the heat of their passage simply re-vaporizing falling rain in a wide swath in front of her.

It didn’t matter, there was always more rain.

Her target, a Capellan Urbanmech staggered as her PPCs stripped over a ton of armor from its barrel-shaped chest. The Urbanmech staggered, then fell a moment later as the sweeping amber lasers of Janos’ Ostroc converted the last of the Urbie’s skeleton supporting the `Mech’s right torso into steel vapor. The `Mech’s heavy autocannon, held in place only by bundled myomer, tore free with enough force to warp the Urbanmech’s few remaining structural supports. One of the snapping bundles lashed back like a rubber band, instantly binding the little `Mech’s gyro. Another Capellan down.

It didn’t matter, there were always more Capellans.

Mission Objectives
Destroy All Enemy Forces (5/9)
OR
Destroy the Janos Marik (0/1)

Secondary Objective
Don’t Destroy the Janos Marik (1/1)

Enemy Movement Modifiers:
1) BMB-10D Bombardier Stationary (+0)
3) UM-R60G Urbanmech Jumped (+1)
5) WTH-1 Whitworth Stationary (+0)
9) STK-3F Stalker Ran (+2)

AWS-8Q Awesome
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 14/24 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 10/10
CT A(S): 11/30 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 19/19
RT A(S): 0/24 (11/17)
RT R A(S): 4/10
LA A(S): 7/24 (13/13)
RA A(S): 21/24 (13/13)
LL A(S): 17/33 (17/17)
RL A(S): 18/33 (17/17)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty:
Heat Sinks: 27
Movement: 3/5/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 3, Gunnery 2
Mechwarrior Name: Sergeant Major Rebecca Cage
Mechwarrior Player: Canopus250
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
PPC – RA (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
PPC – RT (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: Destroyed!)
PPC – LT (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – HD (Heat: 1, Range (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status, OK!
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 1 hand

ON1-K Orion
Weight: 75 tons (Heavy)
Mechwarrior Name: Captain Paul Masters
Mechwarrior Player: Defiance Industries
Mechwarrior Status: MIA!

OSR-2C Ostroc
Weight: 60 tons (Heavy)
HD A(S): 8/8 (3/3)
LT A(S): 19/22 (3/14)
LT R A(S): 0/4
CT A(S): 1/22 (20/20)
CT R A(S): 6/6
RT A(S): 17/22 (14/14)
RT R A(S): 4/4
LA A(S): 8/8 (10/10)
RA A(S): 0/8 (3/10)
LL A(S): 15/20 (14/14)
RL A(S): 15/20 (14/14)
Heat: 5/30
Overheat Penalty: Movement reduced to 4/6/0!
Heat Sinks: 15
Movement: 5/8/0
Mechwarrior Name: Corporal Janos Valens
Mechwarrior Player: ActionZero
Armament:
Large Laser – RT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Large Laser – LT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM-4 – RT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 24, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: Right Upper Arm Actuator Destroyed!
Notes: 2 hands

GLD-4R Gladiator
Weight: 55 tons (Medium)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 19/19 (13/13)
LT R A(S): 3/3
CT A(S): 26/26 (18/18)
CT R A(S): 5/5
RT A(S): 19/19 (13/13)
RT R A(S): 3/3
LA A(S): 10/15 (9/9)
RA A(S): 10/15 (9/9)
LL A(S): 19/19 (13/13)
RL A(S): 19/19 (13/13)
Heat: 2/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 13
Movement: 5/8/5
Mechwarrior Name: Lieutenant Joshua Davion
Mechwarrior Player: Guitar_Hero
Armament:
PPC – RA (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
SRM-6 – RA (Heat: 4, Ammo: 15, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands

Enemy Status

1) BMB-10D Bombardier
Weight:
65 tons (Heavy)
Movement: 4/6/0
Armament:
LRM-20, LRM-20, SRM-4, Machine Gun
Notes:

2) RVN-1X Raven
Weight:
35 tons (Light)
Notes: Ejected!

3) UM-R60G Urbanmech
Weight:
30 tons (Light)
Movement: 2/3/2
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 3
Armament:
Gauss Rifle, Small Laser
Notes:

4) UM-R60G Urbanmech
Weight:
30 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Status: Ejected!

5) WTH-1 Whitworth
Weight:
40 tons (Medium)
Movement: 4/6/4
Armament:
LRM-10, LRM-10, Medium Laser, Medium Laser, Medium Laser
Critical Damage: OK!
Notes:

6) MON-67 Mongoose
Weight:
25 tons
Notes: Killed!

7) HER-1A Hermes
Weight:
30 tons
Notes: Ejected!

8) UM-R60 Urbanmech
Weight:
30 tons (Light)
Notes: Gyro destroyed!

9) STK-3F Stalker
Weight:
85 tons (Assault)
Movement: 3/5/0
Armament:
4x Medium Laser, 2x Large Laser, 2x LRM-10, 2x SRM-6
Notes:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Okay, you guys got this one. Suggesting the Awesome advance forward to close the gap (W3 to 0208 will get you inside medium range on the PPCs) and the others hold position. You're shielded from the Stalker and Urbie, and the Bombardier's ammo bins are nearly dry. Let the Whitworth have it all and you've got this well in hand.

Edit: The Bombardier has 3 shots of LRM20 ammo left. After that it's just a SRM4 and a MG.

Tempest_56 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 6, 2011

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Well, that was a good turn. Keep it up, guys.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Kill the Whitworth and victory (should) be yours.

The other Urbanmech has finally started to move, but it should melt as soon as it gets into a decent range.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There's always room for a last-minute gauss-rifle head-cap, be ready for an uphill battle against that Stalker.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Did teh urbie pilot survive?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's a good idea to take potshots at that Whitworth while you huddle out of LOS of that Stalker and the Gaussbie. The Bombardier still has a few shots left, though, doesn't it?

Preview EDIT: Okay, looks like I'm not the only one with this opinion.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It's a good idea to take potshots at that Whitworth while you huddle out of LOS of that Stalker and the Gaussbie. The Bombardier still has a few shots left, though, doesn't it?

Preview EDIT: Okay, looks like I'm not the only one with this opinion.

Bombardier should have 3 shots remaining. A turn and a half before it is no longer a consideration.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

Bombardier should have 3 shots remaining. A turn and a half before it is no longer a consideration.

You say this, and you're mostly right. I think PTN decided the pilot would eject/retreat without LRM ammo? In reality, however, an SRM 4 can do hilarious things. It's low dps, but could easily shear the right torso off the Awesome, halving its firepower, or headshot -> TAC ->cockpit gone. Etc, etc.

:EDIT: 0115, 0116, and 0215 are great places to peg the whitworth from. No LOS to anything else, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Arcturas posted:

You say this, and you're mostly right. I think PTN decided the pilot would eject/retreat without LRM ammo?

It's not even that - it's threat priority. In about one more turn, the Bombardier turns into a slow moving Locust, in effect. Since there's no way at this stage from preventing it from firing those LRM20s, there's no real benefit to focusing on it this turn. Better to first take out the mechs that will pose a threat in 2+ turns than one that becomes more or less impotent after this one.

• Locked thread