Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That's more plausible for 'doing damage to the inside of the 'mech,' but it's still a far cry from a ton of machine gun ammunition doing as much damage to your 'mech than a direct hit from the largest Naval Autocannon in existence.
I'm not saying that the on-paper damage numbers aren't excessive. However, considering your internals would still be plenty hosed with that much ammo cooking off at once, I'd say it's something of a moot point.

ActionZero posted:

To steal an analogy from Armageddon, an explosion being contained is the difference between lying a firecracker on the palm of your hand and getting burned, and closing your hand around the firecracker and no longer having anything past your wrist.
Also known in Shadowrun as the Chunky Salsa Effect. Overpressure is a hell of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

I'm not saying that the on-paper damage numbers aren't excessive. However, considering your internals would still be plenty hosed with that much ammo cooking off at once, I'd say it's something of a moot point.

Also known in Shadowrun as the Chunky Salsa Effect. Overpressure is a hell of a thing.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChunkySalsaRule

Not just Shadowrun, it's actually pretty common across the board. Hell, even battletech is listed there, with a few options for your personal flavor of chunky salsa.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

ActionZero posted:

Given how an ammo cookoff happens contained to the inside of the mech whereas being shot at by anything involves the bulk of the impact usually being on the outside, no it is most definitely not a far cry from this at all. The fact that the explosions are contained by the mech's armour and chassis would increase the amount of damage they do to it by an absolutely absurd degree and I really think that a lot of the complaints about ammo explosions doing too much damage that I've seen in this thread involve seriously underestimating this factor.

To steal an analogy from Armageddon, an explosion being contained is the difference between lying a firecracker on the palm of your hand and getting burned, and closing your hand around the firecracker and no longer having anything past your wrist.

The problem is that this isn't born out in BattleTech physics. If you've fired off all but one salvo of your LRM-5 ammo and you take a crit to the remaining salvo in the LRM-5 bin, you only take five damage.

Five long-range missiles full of explosives and propellant should do a hell of a lot of damage, but if that was a TAC, chances are good it's not going to do more than give the pilot hell through the feedback, whereas if an MG bin takes a crit, your 'mech's toast. Even if you're in a 100-ton quad with maximized Hardened armor and the MG ammo going up is in your leg, you're toast. That damage will just cascade inward until it wipes out your center torso.

MG ammosplosions are absolutely ridiculous.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In BT, the only safe thing to do with MG ammo is to dump it all out or shoot at random forests for giggles. Even if ammo explosions are as devastating in the game (sans CASE) as they are in real life, the actual guns they're associated with just can't spit the ammo out fast enough per-round to justify using up the space.

Honestly, there's few situations where you're going to be fighting that much infantry in the great Giant Fighting Robots wargame.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

1 shot of LRM-5 ammo is about 42kg of LRM ammo.

The biggest problem with MGs is that in order to give them a reasonable (And I use that loosely) amount of ammo for the weight, you also have to avoid making them more fractional than they already are.

50 rounds for .25 tons? That should be doable now thanks to Clan MG weights, but prior to that .5 was the smallest tonnage could get. Make it less shots/ton and you approach AC/2 territory.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

T.G. Xarbala posted:

In BT, the only safe thing to do with MG ammo is to dump it all out or shoot at random forests for giggles. Even if ammo explosions are as devastating in the game (sans CASE) as they are in real life, the actual guns they're associated with just can't spit the ammo out fast enough per-round to justify using up the space.

Or under-load your ammo bins and take only, say, 10 rounds per MG into battle with you.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

In BT, the only safe thing to do with MG ammo is to dump it all out or shoot at random forests for giggles.

MGs are probably the most houseruled weapon in the whole game. We used to give them an additional mode of fire, which used 6 ammo, hits were checked on missile table and generated 2 heat. It's still not a great weapon but it makes mechs like Locust a lot more viable and interesting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Bear in mind that about 10% of a full MG bin is enough to gut a decent proportion of mech designs out there.

Further bear in mind that some recent articles have claimed that the number of bullets needed to kill ONE insurgent in a combat situation in Iraq or Afghanistan is 250,000.

Now consider that a single "round" of MG ammo that does two damage to a mech can kill no less than TWENTY FOUR infantrymen under ideal circumstances.

Or, more accurately, a single round of BA MG load is 5KG of bullets, the 7.62 X 51MM NATO (.30 cal for the M1919) weighs 9.7g.

That's 515 bullets fired PER ROUND.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Arquinsiel posted:

the number of bullets needed to kill ONE insurgent in a combat situation in Iraq or Afghanistan is 250,000.

Misused stats aside, I can't help but picture those insurgents as Big Fat Paulie from Family Guy now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I love seeing blatantly spun statistics like that. But yeah, BT doesn't model suppressing fire and morale is an optional rule.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Zaodai posted:

Misused stats aside, I can't help but picture those insurgents as Big Fat Paulie from Family Guy now.
Note I said "claimed" it's ammo expenditure per kill that's counted, rather than "number of bullets that killed a dude" because then the kill ratio is 1:1 and even more meaningless.

As suppression goes, assume that some of those 515 bullets per-round are used for that? I doubt the mech gives any fucks about suppressing grunts, but hey.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Arquinsiel posted:

Further bear in mind that some recent articles have claimed that the number of bullets needed to kill ONE insurgent in a combat situation in Iraq or Afghanistan is 250,000.

WWII and Vietnam numbers are much the same - the conculsion here is about surpressing fire over sustained engagements etc, not anything to do with the effectiveness of a HMG fire on an infantry squad standing around in the open with their thumb up their rear end (the Btech situation).

e: the above said it better.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, they haven't sent me a contract yet, but it's coming. :)

Once we have a date of publishing we need to Goonswarm that printing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Saving Janos Marik: Tactical Update 11

Movement Phase
S Ostroc
- Must pass a piloting test to avoid skidding (3 base - 1 movement = 2): automatic success!

Combat Phase
A Awesome
- Fires PPC at 9 Stalker (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 weather = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (15/25 armor remains)!
- Fires PPC at 9 Stalker (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 weather = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (8/23 armor remains)!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 27!

S Ostroc
- Fires Large Laser at 5 Whitworth (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 weather = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at 5 Whitworth (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 weather = 7): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at 5 Whitworth (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 weather = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (7/12 armor remains)! Through-Armor Critical Chance!
- Fires SRM-4 at 5 Whitworth (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 weather = 8): rolled 7, 2 missiles hit Right Torso (10/12 armor remains), Right Torso (8/12 armor remains)!
Gains 17 heat, sinks 15!

G Gladiator
- Fires Medium Laser at 1 Bombarder (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 weather = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at 1 Bombarder (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 weather = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at 1 Bombarder (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 weather = 9): rolled 11, 2 missiles hit Right Leg (24/26 armor remains), Left Leg (24/26 armor remains)!
Gains 14 heat, sinks 13!

1 Bombardier
- Fires SRM-4 at G Gladiator (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 weather - 1 LK Missiles = 8): Rolled 7, miss!

3 Urbanmech
- Holds fire!

5 Whitworth
- Fires Medium Laser at S Ostroc (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 weather + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 11, hit Right Leg (0/20 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at S Ostroc (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 weather + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at S Ostroc (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 weather + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 4, miss!

9 Stalker
- Fires LRM-10 at A Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 weather - 1 LK Missiles = 7): Rolled 12, 6 missiles hit Left Torso (9/24 armor remains), Center Torso (10/30 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-10 at A Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 weather - 1 LK Missiles = 7): Rolled 9, 4 missiles hit Center Torso (6/30 armor remains)!
- Fires Large Laser at A Awesome (3 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 weather = 9): Rolled 10, hit Right Leg (10/33 armor remains)!

End Phase:
5 Whitworth
- Through-Armor Critical Chance in Left Arm! No critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): Rolled 7, succeeds!

9 Stalker
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): Rolled 7, succeeds!

Turn End Phase:
Lightning strikes no hexes this turn!

The Stalker rocked as paired streams of charged particles stripped armor from its flank and leg, but Rebecca’s quiet exultation was short-lived. As the prototypal artillery `Mech, the Stalker’s armament was considered anemic for the task compared to other more modern designs. Its shortcomings as a fire-support unit were more than compensated by the heft of the remainder of its armament, originally intended simply to guard the Stalker from lighter-weight artillery hunters and even fast vehicles.

The Stalker’s return fire rocked the Awesome like a sledgehammer, though half of the Stalker’s LRM salvo was blown wide by the heavy, gusting wind. A single large laser blistered the armor over the Awesome’s right thigh, and her DI Computer updated her `Mech’s combat monitor wireframes with more splotches of yellow. While she’d normally have bet her awesome against any Stalker as the certain victor in any long-range slugging match, the fact was, with a third of her armament out of commission and her armor shredded by that damned Bombarder, she wasn’t confident she’d win at range.

Up close, however, the Stalker’s weight of firepower would be telling. None of her options were good, but the First Regulan Hussars knew how to make the best of a bad situation. She’d find a way to win, because losing simply wasn’t an option.

Mission Objectives
Destroy All Enemy Forces (5/9)
OR
Destroy the Janos Marik (0/1)

Secondary Objective
Don’t Destroy the Janos Marik (1/1)

Enemy Movement Modifiers:
1) BMB-10D Bombardier Walked (+0)
3) UM-R60G Urbanmech Stationary (+0)
5) WTH-1 Whitworth Jumped (+2)
9) STK-3F Stalker Walked (+0)

AWS-8Q Awesome
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 9/24 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 10/10
CT A(S): 6/30 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 19/19
RT A(S): 0/24 (11/17)
RT R A(S): 4/10
LA A(S): 7/24 (13/13)
RA A(S): 21/24 (13/13)
LL A(S): 17/33 (17/17)
RL A(S): 10/33 (17/17)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty:
Heat Sinks: 27
Movement: 3/5/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 3, Gunnery 2
Mechwarrior Name: Sergeant Major Rebecca Cage
Mechwarrior Player: Canopus250
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
PPC – RA (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
PPC – RT (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: Destroyed!)
PPC – LT (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – HD (Heat: 1, Range (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status, OK!
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 1 hand

ON1-K Orion
Weight: 75 tons (Heavy)
Mechwarrior Name: Captain Paul Masters
Mechwarrior Player: Defiance Industries
Mechwarrior Status: MIA!

OSR-2C Ostroc
Weight: 60 tons (Heavy)
HD A(S): 3/8 (3/3)
LT A(S): 14/22 (3/14)
LT R A(S): 0/4
CT A(S): 1/22 (20/20)
CT R A(S): 6/6
RT A(S): 0/22 (4/14)
RT R A(S): 4/4
LA A(S): 8/8 (10/10)
RA A(S): 0/8 (0/10) Limb Blown Off!
LL A(S): 15/20 (14/14)
RL A(S): 0/20 (14/14)
Heat: 2/30
Overheat Penalty:
Heat Sinks: 15
Movement: 5/8/0
Mechwarrior Name: Corporal Janos Valens
Mechwarrior Player: ActionZero
Armament:
Large Laser – RT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Large Laser – LT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM-4 – RT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 24, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: Right Upper Arm Actuator Destroyed!
Notes: 2 hands

GLD-4R Gladiator
Weight: 55 tons (Medium)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 19/19 (13/13)
LT R A(S): 3/3
CT A(S): 26/26 (18/18)
CT R A(S): 5/5
RT A(S): 19/19 (13/13)
RT R A(S): 3/3
LA A(S): 10/15 (9/9)
RA A(S): 10/15 (9/9)
LL A(S): 19/19 (13/13)
RL A(S): 19/19 (13/13)
Heat: 1/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 13
Movement: 5/8/5
Mechwarrior Name: Lieutenant Joshua Davion
Mechwarrior Player: Guitar_Hero
Armament:
PPC – RA (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
SRM-6 – RA (Heat: 4, Ammo: 15, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands

Enemy Status

1) BMB-10D Bombardier
Weight:
65 tons (Heavy)
Movement: 4/6/0
Armament:
LRM-20, LRM-20, SRM-4, Machine Gun
Notes:

2) RVN-1X Raven
Weight:
35 tons (Light)
Notes: Ejected!

3) UM-R60G Urbanmech
Weight:
30 tons (Light)
Movement: 2/3/2
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 3
Armament:
Gauss Rifle, Small Laser
Notes:

4) UM-R60G Urbanmech
Weight:
30 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Status: Ejected!

5) WTH-1 Whitworth
Weight:
40 tons (Medium)
Movement: 4/6/4
Armament:
LRM-10, LRM-10, Medium Laser, Medium Laser, Medium Laser
Critical Damage: OK!
Notes:

6) MON-67 Mongoose
Weight:
25 tons
Notes: Killed!

7) HER-1A Hermes
Weight:
30 tons
Notes: Ejected!

8) UM-R60 Urbanmech
Weight:
30 tons (Light)
Notes: Gyro destroyed!

9) STK-3F Stalker
Weight:
85 tons (Assault)
Movement: 3/5/0
Armament:
4x Medium Laser, 2x Large Laser, 2x LRM-10, 2x SRM-6
Notes:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 12, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hypothetical question: if ActionZero pushes the Whitworth into the water, what would happen to it?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Hypothetical question: if ActionZero pushes the Whitworth into the water, what would happen to it?

Depends on whether it falls over or not.

But it takes two arms to push, and a charge is very likely to kill him.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That Stalker is a walking painmobile and it hasn't even brought the full weight of its weapons to bear yet.

Guitar Hero, thinking about giving Canopus-to-fiddy a hand? I'd be mindful of the large Medium Laser suite if you do, though.

Bum luck on that surviving Whitworth. A lucky charge might do the trick, though. Kind of a hail mary but hey, it's dramatic.

Just noticed the Gladiator can DFA the Stalker. This is a more horrible idea than charging the Whitworth, though.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Any locations that have no armor and are submerged (so only legs if you're standing in depth 1 water) will stop functioning.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Just noticed the Gladiator can DFA the Stalker. This is a more horrible idea than charging the Whitworth, though.

The Stalker would probably kill him, but think of the glory if he succeeds.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If the Ostroc can get into 1304 it will be in the left arc and hit Whitworth's exposed side more often. Could be worth it if you want to try some PSRs.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Defiance Industries posted:

If the Ostroc can get into 1304 it will be in the left arc and hit Whitworth's exposed side more often. Could be worth it if you want to try some PSRs.

Moving to 1304 is actually exactly what I was planning to do. Assuming that a PSR is a roll to avoid skidding I can avoid even needing to roll by running to 1505 in order to make a turn without being on the pavement, it leaves me facing northwest instead of being able to turn to southwest but that's hardly a huge problem. Not sure how many of my weapons I should fire cause I'm fairly sure I'm not actually at 0/30 heat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ActionZero posted:

Moving to 1304 is actually exactly what I was planning to do. Assuming that a PSR is a roll to avoid skidding I can avoid even needing to roll by running to 1505 in order to make a turn without being on the pavement, it leaves me facing northwest instead of being able to turn to southwest but that's hardly a huge problem. Not sure how many of my weapons I should fire cause I'm fairly sure I'm not actually at 0/30 heat.

Yeah, specifying that you're moving to 1505 before turning would take the risk out of the maneuver.

Otherwise you'd be looking at three (!) separate PSRs that, while at low TNs, would be catastrophic should any of them fail.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh
The odds to hit it with either or both large lasers were about 85%, but after checking Sarna.net and some BT hit tables I could find all the melee tables and vehicle hit tables but not the tables for mechs... does anyone know what the hit tables are for center torso or head on a Whitworth? I'm guessing Goonlance had slightly bad luck and missed a roughly 50% chance of killing it (I'd have concentrated more fire, but 50% can definitely justify a gamble), counting all weapons and crits. On the bright side the Ostroc didn't lose half its weapons either.

Also, while I'm worried about their continued exposure to three-four mechs, the range they went with against the Stalker was great. Does the Stalker keep most of its weapons on its arms? I can't tell the difference between those arms and its shoulders on the Sarna.net pictures. :)

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 12, 2011

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
11 hexes is a good distance for the Awesome to be from the Stalker. Large lasers at long range, LRM-10s at medium, and medium lasers/SRMs out of range. If you stay put you're looking at 5s to hit him; he's got 7s on his LRMs and 9s on his large lasers. Not that that stopped him from hitting you with everything last time...

The Ostroc's plan of going to 1304 is smart, as is the excellent suggestion of running through 1505 so there is no potential skid.

The Gladiator, meanwhile, is in an awkward position. It can't get behind the Stalker (and even if it could, the Stalker could just flip its arms and put 4 medium lasers at short range onto it). I would suggest jumping back over the building to take some shots at the Stalker, so the Bombardier and Urbanmech have no shot (assuming the Ostroc goes to 1304). Jumping 5 hexes so the Stalker has a +2 to hit would keep you alive longer, but unfortunately you can't jump 5 hexes and land in the sweet spot of 6 hexes away that allows your PPC to be at short range and your other weapons to be at medium range.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Yeah, they've really got the ranges down. I used to think it was just that shortest ranges were the best, except for LRMs!
But total fire concentration against the Whitworth last round while being overkill might have been justified because it was possible to avoid all but indirect fire from any other opponents.

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 12, 2011

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

cwDeici posted:

But total fire concentration against the Whitworth last round while being overkill might have been justified because it was possible to avoid all but indirect fire from any other opponents.

Absolutely it would have. Goonlance needs to take advantage of the enemy's split dispositions to concentrate its attacks on enemy 'Mechs to take them out quickly, while avoiding as much potential return fire as possible. It was a mistake to expose all 3 Goonlance 'Mechs to the fire of enemy units while dividing their own fire.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I have absolutely no idea what you guys are doing anymore.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Carbolic posted:

Absolutely it would have. Goonlance needs to take advantage of the enemy's split dispositions to concentrate its attacks on enemy 'Mechs to take them out quickly, while avoiding as much potential return fire as possible. It was a mistake to expose all 3 Goonlance 'Mechs to the fire of enemy units while dividing their own fire.

Yes, personally I would definitely have gone with the mobile concentration, but it's nice to see an aggressive fighting style opting for maximum fire output.

KnoxZone posted:

I have absolutely no idea what you guys are doing anymore.

It is their characters and they are veteran players. Anyway I totally agree with what the Ostroc did.

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 12, 2011

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
The Gladiator really is in an odd position. Is the plan to jump into medium range and try to maim the last Urbanmech?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

cwDeici posted:

does anyone know what the hit tables are for center torso or head on a Whitworth?

If a mech is shooting from the front or rear arcs, a weapon hits the CT on a 7. Firing from a side arcs hit the CT on an 8. The head is a 12. Since PTN is using floating crits, a 2 causes a re-roll on the hit location, with the chance of a TAC.

So You have about a 17% chance of a hit striking the CT from the front, a little less from the side.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 12, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

WWII and Vietnam numbers are much the same - the conculsion here is about surpressing fire over sustained engagements etc, not anything to do with the effectiveness of a HMG fire on an infantry squad standing around in the open with their thumb up their rear end (the Btech situation).

e: the above said it better.
Forgive me for assuming that suppression rounds take space and weight, I didn't know they were free.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Arquinsiel posted:

Note I said "claimed" it's ammo expenditure per kill that's counted, rather than "number of bullets that killed a dude" because then the kill ratio is 1:1 and even more meaningless.

As suppression goes, assume that some of those 515 bullets per-round are used for that? I doubt the mech gives any fucks about suppressing grunts, but hey.

Well think about how hard it is for a mech to hit another mech and then think about how hard it would be for a mech to target an individual soldier and put a single bullet in him. I could totally buy showering an infantry squad with hundreds of bullets in the hopes that a few of them hit.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

KnoxZone posted:

If a mech is shooting from the front or rear arcs, a weapon hits the CT on a 7. Firing from a side arcs hit the CT on an 8. The head is a 12. Since PTN is using floating crits, a 2 causes a re-roll on the hit location, with the chance of a TAC.

So You have about a 17% chance of a hit striking the CT from the front, a little less from the side.

Thanks Knox! (I thought it had multiple location slots (like 6-8 or 7-9), as in Mekton Zeta.)

OK that means the chance of a center torso structural kill this round discounting the SRM is 15,02% (58,33% to hit, multiplied by 1/6 for target location, times two for two large lasers (meaning about 14% chance to hit it with either or both lasers) and + (0,5833/6)*2 for both medium lasers (about 1%)).
Also, I don't see any pilot damage, so assuming all 12 structure and armor points are left I think the chance of a headcap is 0,3%, so a torso or headcap kill is 15,32%. The Whitworth doesn't seem to have any ammo and I don't understand the others crits or pushing it, but for just structural kills the overall chance is probably 20-25% (depending on how damaged the legs are).

Huh, my lowest estimate was way off. These numbers only seem moderately overkill with all three mechs focus firing on it, so you might want to involve the Awesome. Too bad the Ostroc can't push anymore. Does anyone know the odds of a charge?

Mekton is a lot easier to run calculations on, since it only uses a single d10 normally and has set location tables, I guess for tabletop Battletech/Mechwarrior I need to memorize the 1/36 2d6 tables. :)

Anyway, sorry if I got anything wrong or abbreviated any of the calculation that I shouldn't have in the post.

Btw., I'd recommend almost the same as last turn, withdraw the Awesome out of the Stalker's range and fire at the Whitworth, which should bring its probability of surviving torso destruction or headcap down to (0,8462*2) 71,6% (- probably ten-fifteen percent chance of dying from crits, leg destruction, etc). Not sure what melee options the Ostroc has, but if no good then maybe some defensive movement, but definitely alpha-ing the Whitworth. The Gladiator no longer has the option to fire on the Whitworth probably, so I'd say either fire at the Gaussbie while moving northeast to get further away from the Stalker and giving the option to take cover behind it next turn from the Gaussbie (or all the way behind it to the right if the Stalker moves up next turn) or run or jump (if possible) to somewhere noone can fire. That way you can avoid return fire from all but the Whitworth and indirect LRMs.

Anyway I'll cut my chatter at this. Good luck!

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 12, 2011

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

1204 is a better position, you can get there turn for an alpha and a kick.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gladiator will need to jump 4 and end up range 6 from the stalker and hidden from the rest. Then alpha, ignore the heat build up you can jump back over and cooldown. You have the most armor out of goonlance and the stalker ignores you at its own peril.

That was Not edit. I am retarded.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BattleMaster posted:

Well think about how hard it is for a mech to hit another mech and then think about how hard it would be for a mech to target an individual soldier and put a single bullet in him. I could totally buy showering an infantry squad with hundreds of bullets in the hopes that a few of them hit.
Yeah, that's pretty much my point. It makes sense for a machine gun to do that much damage to the guts of a mech when one lucky hit does 2 damage and you've got five figures-worth of rounds dinging around internally.

cwDeici posted:

These numbers only seem moderately overkill with all three mechs focus firing on it

Howard Taylor posted:

"There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ostroc's heat is fixed.

cwDeici posted:

I could find all the melee tables and vehicle hit tables but not the tables for mechs... does anyone know what the hit tables are for center torso or head on a Whitworth?

7 for Center Torso (depending on arc (5:1 odds)) or 12 for head (always (35:1)).

Scurrilous
Sep 2, 2006
evolutionary throwback
I would charge the Bombardier with the Gladiator. Logic and probability be damned.

VVVVV Edit: It's not about damaging the bombardier. It's about displacing the Urbie into a building hex, and also MECH BOWLING.

Scurrilous fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 12, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Scurrilous posted:

I would charge the Bombardier with the Gladiator. Logic and probability be damned.

This, or any other part of the plan that involves the phrase 'attack the Bombardier' is really dumb. Right now it's a massive damage sponge with minimal offensive capability. It is by far the least threatening thing on a map that has several threatening things on it. Let the Ostroc handle the Whitworth - make the Urbie or the Stalker hurt but for god's sake stop shooting the Bombadier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BattleMaster posted:

Furthermore they don't actually have to kill the infantry, just render them incapacitated.

• Locked thread