Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

bunnyofdoom posted:

PTN, is there anyway we can kill Rose? I don't care if he's a freaking infant at this point. He must die.

Well, he's presumably a child with the Highlanders....or hasn't been born yet, in which case his father's with the Highlanders. In either case, they're about to get murdered by Death Commandos, so we're in good shape on that score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

the JJ posted:

Acquire target. Acquire lock. Put crosshairs over a torso section. Pull trigger. Put crosshairs over the same section. Pull trigger.

Acquire new target.

Did you ever watch the MW4 Let's Play that somebody did a year or two back? That guy went through over half of both games (vanilla and Mercs) just using either a Thanatos or various random assaults, always loaded with as many LBX-AC20's or UAC-20's as possible. It played kinda like you describe. He would basically one-shot anything lighter than 55 tons, and other Assaults would only withstand a couple salvos each. It was entertaining to watch the game get broken like that, but it also meant most of the other weapons didn't see much action.

Scurrilous
Sep 2, 2006
evolutionary throwback
The most game-breaking setup was a Nova Cat with two Artemis-enhanced Arrow IV launchers and BAP. A chain-fired salvo would cripple, head-shot or knock down literally any mech in the game. That setup also afforded mobility, and absolute accuracy at absurd ranges.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Scurrilous posted:

The most game-breaking setup was a Nova Cat with two Artemis-enhanced Arrow IV launchers and BAP. A chain-fired salvo would cripple, head-shot or knock down literally any mech in the game. That setup also afforded mobility, and absolute accuracy at absurd ranges.

Whadya know, the Nova Cat is also pretty broken in Mech Living Legends, too :v: A Clan Gauss Rifle and twin CERPPC's, plus jump jets and a pile of heat sinks. Hide behind a hill, pop up and rock worlds from a thousand meters out.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Nova Cat was pretty broken in vanilla Mechwarrior 4 too, because it could carry a truly absurd amount of ER Large Lasers. If memory serves, you could squeeze 8 of them on there. The heat generation was insane, but so was the damage. No ammo issues, no range issues (800m, so you were really only giving up a range advantage to ER PPCs and Light Gauss Rifles) and very concentrated fire as far as all of them hitting the same area of the enemy mech.

MW4 really favored burst damage in general, regardless of where you got it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

The Casualty posted:

Did you ever watch the MW4 Let's Play that somebody did a year or two back? That guy went through over half of both games (vanilla and Mercs) just using either a Thanatos or various random assaults, always loaded with as many LBX-AC20's or UAC-20's as possible. It played kinda like you describe. He would basically one-shot anything lighter than 55 tons, and other Assaults would only withstand a couple salvos each. It was entertaining to watch the game get broken like that, but it also meant most of the other weapons didn't see much action.

Did someone say one-shotting anything lighter than 55 tons?

Because gently caress anything lighter than Assault.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

T1g4h posted:

Ahhh, yes. The Behemoth. One of my favorite assault mechs. It's alternate version made the top gun smaller, but I recall fitting a ridiculously large amount of ERPPCs onto it, getting enough heat sinks for near-zero heat gain, and just murdering anything that came within range.

Moved slow as gently caress, of course, but with heavy enough armor and 1 or 2 shotting anything, I didn't really care.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Is...is that equipment in mektek's MW4:Mercs? I feel the urge to download it all of a sudden.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Artificer posted:

Ahhh, yes. The Behemoth. One of my favorite assault mechs. It's alternate version made the top gun smaller, but I recall fitting a ridiculously large amount of ERPPCs onto it, getting enough heat sinks for near-zero heat gain, and just murdering anything that came within range.

Moved slow as gently caress, of course, but with heavy enough armor and 1 or 2 shotting anything, I didn't really care.

The top of the screenshot clearly says "Marauder II". It also looks like a Marauder II.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

T1g4h posted:

:colbert: not enough Railgun ammo. How are you going to kill everything with that?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Artificer posted:

Do NPC pilots have ammo issues or can you just load them up with a bunch of Streak MRMs and watch explosions all over the place?

NPC pilots ahve the same ammo considerations as you do, a fairly fun tactic for me, is to take a fast medium and run around till they are just shooting lasers at you, then dfa them in mw4

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

landcollector posted:

Is...is that equipment in mektek's MW4:Mercs? I feel the urge to download it all of a sudden.

Yep. Part of their MekPak stuff. It adds absolute scores of new 'Mechs and weapons, it's loving -lovely-. Made replaying the campaign an absolute blast :v:

AtomikKrab posted:

:colbert: not enough Railgun ammo. How are you going to kill everything with that?

That's what the Light PPCs with Capacitors and Rechargers are for :science:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Yep. Part of their MekPak stuff. It adds absolute scores of new 'Mechs and weapons, it's loving -lovely-. Made replaying the campaign an absolute blast :v:

I know what I'm doing this weekend.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Was I the only one in MW4 that just grabbed a Cougar, 3 ERLL, cranked the engine up as high as it would go, and circle strafed people?

Man in retrospect I would have been a lot better off with something that actually had torso twist.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

SolusLunes posted:

Was I the only one in MW4 that just grabbed a Cougar, 3 ERLL, cranked the engine up as high as it would go, and circle strafed people?

Man in retrospect I would have been a lot better off with something that actually had torso twist.

flea, max speed 2 medium lasers, thats all you need. I loved going around mechs and watching them torso twist like a mad man, but unable to catch me. I usually only tried on friendly fire servers otherwise, missles would just be spammed in my general direction until enough would wear me down.

I've also done it with the stock flea, but usually the machinegun ammo runs out.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

T1g4h posted:

I am sorry but they cannot match the pleasure of pimpslapping an atlas with one shot. (you plink it with an lrm to remove one shot protection and then eat the head.)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Axe-man posted:

flea, max speed 2 medium lasers, thats all you need. I loved going around mechs and watching them torso twist like a mad man, but unable to catch me. I usually only tried on friendly fire servers otherwise, missles would just be spammed in my general direction until enough would wear me down.

I've also done it with the stock flea, but usually the machinegun ammo runs out.

I used to love when people would try that and I was in a mech with arm mounted heavy weapons. If they were good enough that you couldn't simply get them by turning the opposite direction they were running, you could get them by turning in the same direction and then swinging your arm in that direction so you could basically fire behind you.

Also, I ran 3 ER Large Cougars when I had to drive a light mech, so I'm woth you on that one SolusLunes. :toot:

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

I am sorry but they cannot match the pleasure of pimpslapping an atlas with one shot. (you plink it with an lrm to remove one shot protection and then eat the head.)

Does one shot protection count if two shots hit at the exact same time? I know I once killed an Atlas with dual gauss rifles into the eye, and I don't think there was any previous damage.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Rorac posted:

Does one shot protection count if two shots hit at the exact same time? I know I once killed an Atlas with dual gauss rifles into the eye, and I don't think there was any previous damage.

Yes.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Zaodai posted:

I used to love when people would try that and I was in a mech with arm mounted heavy weapons. If they were good enough that you couldn't simply get them by turning the opposite direction they were running, you could get them by turning in the same direction and then swinging your arm in that direction so you could basically fire behind you.

Also, I ran 3 ER Large Cougars when I had to drive a light mech, so I'm woth you on that one SolusLunes. :toot:

there is a deadspot for the arm swing but most pubbies never understood arm swinging at all, so i don't remember even worrying. Mostly, it was nice to take a non assualt on the field, cause when I wasn't in a stock Strat league situation no one else would. It was always about the boating.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Going back to MW4:Mercs me and it strikes me as odd that Light PPCs in the game were Clantech. Was there something I missed or can it be chalked up to Spectre forgetting the details while trying to brag about his pre-Jihad glory days to the newbies who don't know any better?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read: Main Event (part 26 / 27)

Chapter 26
Houston, Borghese
14 June 3055

Days elapsed since book start: 308¼
Mercenaries recruited since book start: 6
Mercenaries recruited off-screen: 1
Things accomplished since book start: 1 (Rose took a nap, Rose got a Charger)
Protagonists introduced since book start: 8
Protagonists mentioned but not yet introduced: 1
Antagonists introduced since book start: 3
Antagonists defeated since book start: 0
Chapters spent on Northwind: 5
Chapters spent on Solaris: 10
Chapters spent on Outreach: 4
Chapters spent on Borghese: 13

This chapter opens on Salander Morgain, who gives a pro-Clan speech. He’s a good talker, but apparently he was kicked out of the AFFC for being a black marketer, so Rose is right about him being a smug rear end in a top hat (go figure, the Mary Sue’s ‘gut instincts’ about someone are correct). Anyway, Rose gets pissed and shuts off the television he’s using to watch Morgain’s pro-Clan idiocy. The speech is transparent and poorly written, and therefore immediately wins the hearts of the populace. Borghese is now ripe for a Clan invasion.

Morgain then claims that the Black Thorns shot up their own compound, burned their own belongings, and killed their own staff. They’ve also had McCloud declared a pirate since she blasted off without permission and without paying for her goods. Except McCloud is still on the planet (she’s been riding with Hawg, not Jeremiah) and Rose has an “AH-HA!” moment that’s quickly quashed because they’re still getting their asses kicked politically and Crenshaw has clearly sent the Bristol somewhere to do something.

Like, y’know, politely asking the Jade Falcons to come take over the planet and remove him from office (they certainly wouldn’t let him keep it).

Cooke then warns Rose that Morgain is coming and won’t be pulling any punches (and also Rose is outgunned since IIRC Morgain pilots a Marauder II). Then the chapter ends after having gone precisely nowhere.

Chapter 27
The Cedars, Borghese
14 July 3055

Days elapsed since book start: 338¼

“Rose Smash Puny Humans!”

Rose leads the Black Thorns into the woods so they can hide out like proper bandits honorable mercenaries. He then thanks the original settlers for transplanting Terran trees to the planet, since, as an invasive species, they have spread to cover nearly everything that isn’t actively farmland since this planet had no natural tree-predators.

We then learn that Rose and McCloud are back on speaking terms, although he quietly suspects she’s upset about the theft of her dropship and blames him for its loss. We also learn that the political situation is now even worse than before, but I don’t really give a poo poo beyond Zenos Cooke being one of the few semi-likeable characters in the novel (if you discount his request for Rose to fake a Clan invasion).

Anyway, we are then reintroduced to Badicus O’Shea, who is crossing a river but OH NO the Planetary Militia has an unarmed scout hovertank and detects them. Badicus O’Shea was in a position to kill it, but doesn’t.

Rose jumps down his throat on the Comms, but Badicus announces that he refuses to fire on an unarmed tank even though it puts everyone at risk; since he helped trained that tank crew. Rose doesn’t explode at him, and actually delivers a reasonable if understandably upset response.

… Reasonable until he pretty much places the blame for any future badness that happens to the Black Thorns squarely on Badicus’ shoulders.

Having successfully placed blame away from his immaculate godhead, Rose then decides that they can’t run forever since the Militia will catch up eventually. Coming to a decision, he formulates a cunning plan and announces it to everyone and dear lord is it ever stupid.

Main Event posted:

“We can only run for so long. Sooner or later we’re going to have to engage the militia and Salander Morgain’s `Mechs. That means fighting, and killing. We can’t let that happen, so here is what we are going to do.

“Pursuit [Lance], keep us away from them for as long as possible. The longer we can stay away, the longer we have for Cooke to try to help us some way back in Houston. That means nearly constant movement, little sleep, and no room for error. We stick together and make them hunt us down. When they finally manage to corner us, we surrender and take our chances in Houston.”

So… work yourselves to exhaustion, then give up. He then has the gall to ask if anyone has any questions.

Y’know? I do have a question. Why are you in charge again?

Ajax: “PoptartsNinja, That is very good question. I am murderous sneaky Chinese stereotype and yet I have a more compelling character than Jeremiah Rose. Also, my plan is better. ‘Wait in ambush: kill everyone that isn’t us.’”

They stay on the run for eight loving days, sleeping about two hours at a stretch and—y’know what? Planets are a big goddamned place, OK? Even if the continent is smaller than Australia, there’s still a hundred billion places you could hide a company of Battlemechs. If the 17th Recon could escape—under fire from five Draconis Combine regiments—and hide an entire BattleMech Regiment on loving Towne then Jeremiah Rose can hide ten `Mechs in a goddamned forest.

Oh, and the Black Thorns repeatedly come under LRM fire from Infantry during this time. Infantry which are a thousand times less mobile than the Battlemechs they’re hunting. The militia also accidentally start the forest on fire, and have to divert to try to put it out.

On the eighth day, they’re approached by Salander Morgain. Oh, and announces that the Bristol is back and that Chairman Cooke has been assassinated. Oh, and the Jade Falcons are here since the Bristol was off fetching them. So, rather than following his ‘surrender’ plan, Jeremiah Rose orders his exhausted troops into a suicide charge.

And then the chapter ends.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

stupid things

Did Rose eat bucketfuls of paint chips as a child?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

landcollector posted:

Did Rose eat bucketfuls of paint chips as a child?

I;m thinking he was an invitro baby grown in a bottle of scotch actually.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Fade to White, open next chapter with rose dead on the ground with the battered dropship captain "mccloud" above his corpse with a knife.

perfect end to a perfect book.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Axe-man posted:

Fade to White, open next chapter with rose dead on the ground with the battered dropship captain "mccloud" above his corpse with a knife.

perfect end to a perfect book.

After the next chapter we'll have 4 chapters and 48 pages to go. I'd estimate 12 pages per chapter, except the book is 331 pages long and has precisely 33 chapters.

VVV The Rianna/Morgain thing is intimated. The Rose/girl from his old ComGuard unit is outright stated (she was the pre-McCloud McCloud, he felt the same way about her, and she left him (by dying). So he started loving McCloud).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 30, 2011

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I don't remember Rose's sister sleeping with Morgain, or Rose sleeping with one of his subordinates. I guess I've purged this book out of my memory more thoroughly than I believed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read: Main Event (part 28)

Chapter 28
The Cedars, Borghese
14 July 3055

Morgain arranges his `Mechs into a V as the Black Thorns advance and

Main Event posted:

Rose had no doubt that the heaviest `Mech in Morgain’s force would be the point of the vee.

Which immediately makes that true. Rose believes it, so it becomes gospel. Actually, it’s not, but only because Salander Morgain isn’t completely retarded.

He then re-orders his suicide charge—but not of the whole company, of Battle Lance only. ‘Cause, y’know, when taking on enemies with a weight advantage and inferior numbers, it’s best to attack them with a smaller, lighter-weight unit with fewer `Mechs than they have. Morgain has a Stalker, a BattleMaster, an Awesome, a Banshee 5S (piloted by our friend Mr. Bell :ssh: ), and Morgain’s Marauder II (which doesn’t actually appear for a good five pages because he’s now apparently also a coward).

Rose immediately begins shooting up a BattleMaster (which outguns him since his Charger is, like all Chargers, total garbage). Fortunately, Rose’s poo poo luck turns into amazing capability and his LRMs hit the Battlemaster in the head. The BattleMaster shoots back and Rose then nearly falls over.

Meanwhile, the Awesome shoots up Hawg’s Zeus and the rest of the Black Thorns decide the attack plan is stupid and engage as well, focusing fire on the Stalker which promptly falls on its head. Rose, meanwhile, is left to fire his single LRM-20 at the BattleMaster and contribute basically gently caress-all to the fight.

And by that, I mean he scores another cockpit hit and knocks the BattleMaster pilot unconscious, knocking it out of the fight because if he didn’t he wouldn’t be God’s gift to the universe. Rose then pauses mid-combat to contemplate how stupid looking the Stalker is and how helpless it looks as he walks up and pushes it over while it tries to stand up.

Then he falls over.

He fears the Banshee, but it’s doing gently caress-all. Why?

… Well, because Antioch Bell is going to be a member of the Black Thorns, you see. He’s the only member of Morgain’s lance with a name, and he’s kinda not happy about this whole situation. Not to mention he got kicked out of the Lyran Guards because Morgain is a thieving shitheel.

Badicus O’Shea, meanwhile, being a real flawed person and not the second coming of Alexander Kerensky, is getting his rear end kicked by Salander Morgain. Badicus is piloting a Shadow Hawk, remember, and Morgain?

Marauder II.

Dramatic reveal. Oh wait, I spoiled that already. It's really pretty meaningless, he doesn't even last as long as the Awesome did.

And Badicus is fighting him solo, because otherwise Morgain would’ve been busy murdering everyone else. Then Badicus takes a shot to the engine and has to shut down or Stackpole. Badicus punches out, and Morgain pauses to ready himself to smack some bitches with his `Mech.

Rose finally manages to free himself (he’d gotten stuck in the Stalker in a very literal sense, and lost his knee and foot actuators to a stupid and pointless charge attack) and goes running after the Marauder II (which severely outguns him, out-armors him, and now has greater maneuverability since two actuator hits reduce the Charger from a 4/6 to a 2/3). The Awesome has already punched out, meanwhile Ajax and Angus sit on the BattleMaster; and Rianna is nowhere to be seen (she contributes nothing this battle, I think the author forgot about her).

The Marauder II then double-taps its LBX-Autocannon (read: impossible) into the back of Hawg’s Zeus and kills the Gyro, since a 3v1 fight in his favor isn’t Rose’s style. 2v1 is much more like it. Oh, and for good measure, the Marauder II then blows off the leg of Esmeralda’s Crescens Warhammer, leaving Rose to fight it by himself.

Rose is about to lose, then the Banshee shows up and Deus Ex Machina’s the fight away by blowing off the Marauder’s head. Antioch Bell, secretly the Banshee pilot (and one of three characters I don’t hate) then shuts down and surrenders.

Then Rianna shows up, just in time to do nothing. At least they won’t have to fix her `Mech. Also, the chapter ends. Hope you enjoyed that fight, by the way, there isn’t one in the next chapter.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Woah, woah woah. The Charger 3K is actually the one good Charger. Just because the pilot is Jeremiah Rose doesn't mean the mech is garbage.

It definitely shouldn't be going toe to toe with other assault mechs, though.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 30, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I find it sad that my hope for interesting characters lies on jade falcons!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read: Main Event (part 29)

Chapter 29
The Cedars, Borghese
14 July 3055

Morgain’s dead, but the Borghese militia is still approaching. Rose checks on everyone’s status then discovers that Ajax, his hired Capellan super-murderer, has abandoned his Raven to administer battlefield triage to the pilot of the BattleMaster Rose nearly killed.

This infuriates Rose. I’m not joking, Ajax’s attempt to save the life of one of Morgain’s men makes him angry.

Main Event posted:

“[…] Ajax has exited his `Mech and is administering first aid to the battleMaster pilot. I can see them both from here.”

“Is he crazy? […]” Rose closed the channel and fumed while he stared at the primary screen.

Rather than having an aneurism or yelling at Ajax not being the sociopath he’d been hoping for, Rose then thanks Antioch Bell for killing his friend and saving the Black Thorns. Antioch then tells everyone that the Militia won’t engage since Alexander Graham Antioch Bell brought them in on a party line and let them all listen to Morgain announce the arrival of the Clans and that they’ve had Cooke assassinated.

Rose then demands that Antioch explain his betrayal of Morgain. Antioch then explains everything we already know: that Morgain is a douchenozzle and got antioch (and an entire company) kicked out of the Lyran Guards.

Rose pretends to pay attention, but really doesn’t give a poo poo. Seriously.

Main Event posted:

Rose could see the anger and frustration building in Bell as he spoke. He was standing now and had begun to pace. Rose listened, keeping his eyes on the scanner. He wanted to know why Bell had fired the missiles, not the story of his life.

Jeremiah Rose, you stupid SON OF A BITCH!

We then learn that Antioch Bell has been virtually held prisoner on Morgain’s estate. Bell then reveals that the Bristol was sent to Clan space and invited the Jade Falcons to come visit. This is all part of Crenshaw’s plan, which I will sum up below:

Phase 1) Become Space-Mayor of Borghese.
Phase 2) Kill the Black Thorns.
Phase 3) Invite the Jade Falcons to Borghese.
Phase 4) ???
Phase 5) Profit!

Anyway, Bell then reveals (again) that not only did he Deus Ex Machina the last fight; but he also Deus Ex Machina’d the whole story to the militia. Rianna then goes to make a truce with the militia while Rose wonders what he’s going to do (spend the next two chapters fixing his `Mechs, most likely). We then take stock of the situation:

Black Thorns: Alive, 3 `Mechs destroyed. `Mechs remaining: 1 crippled Charger, 1 Phoenix Hawk, 1 Raven, 1 Valkyrie. Also, Antioch Bell and his Banshee will have joined the Black Thorns by the end of the chapter.

Morgain: Dead.

Oh, hey, only 4 chapters to go and we’ve actually killed an antagonist lackey! Hawg is mildly upset that his Zeus was destroyed.

Rose holds a meeting, the sum of which is: Oh poo poo, Jade Falcons. Ajax then psychoanalyzes the Clans and assumes they’ll bid on how many `Mechs it will take to accept Borghese’s surrender.

Main Event posted:

Rose stared in amazement. Of course Ajax was right. He’d been at Tukayyid where the Clans had died rather than break their rules of engagement.

They then decide that the Clans can’t have sent more than a trinary to accept the surrender, which is stupid and conjecture but will prove to be 100% true. Rose then decides to use clever tactics and asks the Militia commander to radio the capital and tell them the Black Thorns were destroyed. Rose then orders everyone to go to sleep so we can have everyone well rested for the extensive `Mech Repair scene we’ll get next chapter.

… I wish I was joking. Chapter over.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
With every successive chapter, my urge to find the man who wrote Main Event/Jeremiah Rose into existance and break his kneecaps grows. This is not acceptable character writing :psyboom:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
It's so bad that it has become like a black hole of stupid, sucking in everything sensible and just plain out sucking.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Koorisch posted:

It's so bad that it has become like a black hole of stupid, sucking in everything sensible and just plain out sucking.

There are four chapters left, of which I believe two (maybe three) contain actual combat. The denoument occurs in the last paragraph.

Main Event's biggest problem is that the pacing is totally hosed up.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hey, I read the article for the Catapult on Mechwarrior Online's website just now.

Did anyone notice how the article started with "This report is brought to you by Duralex – Ferrocrete Solid, and Ponyt Ale – Start A Friendship!"

Ponyt Ale - Start a friendship. Am I imagining things?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

There are four chapters left, of which I believe two (maybe three) contain actual combat. The denoument occurs in the last paragraph.

Main Event's biggest problem is that the pacing is totally hosed up.

Hey PTN, those 100 pages of nothing happening were ESSENTIAL to this epic story. Lord of the Rings can't compare to the depth and berth of this detailed vivid world! George Lucas could make at least two movies out of this epic.

Dolash posted:

Hey, I read the article for the Catapult on Mechwarrior Online's website just now.

Did anyone notice how the article started with "This report is brought to you by Duralex – Ferrocrete Solid, and Ponyt Ale – Start A Friendship!"

Ponyt Ale - Start a friendship. Am I imagining things?

I think it has been confirmed that either one or more of the people are "bronies" in the PR/developer department, or at least very internet savvy to recognize the meme.

Yeah that last part wasn't sarcastic
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 30, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Axe-man posted:

George Lucas could make at least two movies out of this epic.

The sad thing is, I do believe you're unironically correct.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

The sad thing is, I do believe you're unironically correct.

If Lucas made it into a movie there would be a scene where Rose's mech steps into a big pile of dinosaur poop and then hop around on one foot comically splattering it around. Some of the poop would accidentally lodge in an enemy mechs' "Intake Port" and cause it to Stackpole, accidentally winning the war for the good guys.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Zeroisanumber posted:

If Lucas made it into a movie there would be a scene where Rose's mech steps into a big pile of dinosaur poop and then hop around on one foot comically splattering it around. Some of the poop would accidentally lodge in an enemy mechs' "Intake Port" and cause it to Stackpole, accidentally winning the war for the good guys.

*CGI shot of the bird things from Far Country cheering*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read: Main Event (part 30)

Chapter 30
The Cedars, Borghese
14 July 3055

Antagonists defeated since book start: 1

Rose gathers the members of the Black Thorns for a damage assessment. Hawg’s heirloom Zeus is trashed (gyro destroyed and 3 engine hits). Badicus was nearly killed when the Shadow Hawk’s ejection seat failed and the Shadow Hawk is a total loss, so he’s out of the fight. Esmeralda’s Crescens Warhammer lost a leg and suffered a cockpit fire and she’s badly burned. Knowing how Rose likes to handwave repairs, they’ll probably have the Warhammer running in time for the exciting climax.

The Valkyrie and Raven are both fine, since neither did anything during the fight. Ajax, incidentally, successfully saved the pilot of the BattleMaster. You are a terrible Sneaky Capellan Murder-Master Ajax! What, with your genuine human compassion and willingness to disobey orders to save the life of a downed enemy at great personal risk (Ajax is my second favorite character, he only talks when it’s important to do so and for the most part stands around in the background. I like to imagine he’s wondering what he did to deserve a unit like Jeremiah Rose and I hope after the events of D.R.T. he got offered a position with Wolf’s Dragoons or something).

The Shadow Hawk is repairable, but in terrible shape (they sell it offscreen before the next book). They talk about jury-rigging the Warhammer’s leg back on but claim it’ll snap right off if the `Mech tries to run or anything.

Rose then reveals that normally he’d have asked his sister for a status report on the command lance, but decides to gently caress delegation and deliver the report to himself… himself. Yeah.

The Phoenix Hawk didn’t suffer any damage, so it’s fine. The Charger’s been torn up by Rose is going to Plot Device the actuator damage away (probably by focusing his ki and yelling at it), and the Charger’ll be moving full speed again in time for the climax.

We then learn that Rose has gone more than 40 hours without sleep (SHOCKER) and yet still feels ‘surprisingly alert.’ He then gives a ‘rally the troops’ speech, which… y’know, gently caress it.

Main Event posted:

“All right, that means we’re down to six pilots and four `Mechs.” He paused and walked into the midst of the group. “I can live with that.”

… That is Jeremiah Rose trying to be inspiring.

He then declares that Esmeralda is the new Marauder II pilot (it has no cockpit, so they’d have to jury-rig something using the Warhammer’s intact but fire-damaged cockpit I guess?), Hawg gets the BattleMaster. Rose th… GODDAMN IT.

Main Event posted:

“Black Thorns, I have the privilege of announcing that a new recruit has offered his services to the unit and has been accepted for immediate duty.

“Welcome aboard, Antioch Bell.”

Now it was Bell’s turn to be amazed. “I didn’t volunteer for anything. Besides, even if I did, my side was taking shots at you this morning, remember?

Rose, that’s not acceptance. In fact, I sense quite a bit of reluctance on Antioch Bell’s part. He asks the Black Thorns if they’d like to offer a spot to Bell, and then… Argh, THIS IS NOT HOW THINGS WORK.

Main Event posted:

“There you go, Mister Bell. A fine example of military protocol in action. You’ve been accepted by the Black Thorns, whether you want it or not. Consider yourself drafted.

So, after press-ganging the only other not-terrible character in the book into his unit, Rose then decides to discuss the Clans with his unit for the readers’ benefit. Rose decides that there’s probably only a Trinary back in Houston, and thinks he can engage those superior numbers with four badly damaged `Mechs, a stolen BattleMaster, a pressed Banshee, and a looted Marauder II. This battle more than doubled the Black Thorns’ firepower, but his pilots are all exhausted.

The plan? Suicide into the Clans while one person tries to get to the HPG to send a warning to the Federated Commonwealth. Rose then doles out repair assignments, giving the badly injured Badicus O’Shea the most dangerous one (ordinance retrieval from downed `Mechs). He then demands that his new slave mercenary, Bell, brief him on the pro-Clan faction in Houston.

Not done with his illusions of godhead, Rose then assigns Rachel McCloud to a `Mechbuster Fighter. The `Mechbuster is an atmospheric (not AeroSpace) fighter that’s essentially an AC/20 with an engine. In combat, it will be the highest priority target on the field since it can’t take cover and has to get close enough to leverage a big gun. We don’t get to see McCloud tell Rose to go gently caress himself (she doesn’t), because the chapter ends.

• Locked thread