Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
You know who really deserved a second chance? That Wolfhound pilot on Somerset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

KnoxZone posted:

You know who really deserved a second chance? That Wolfhound pilot on Somerset.

Who? I don't remember anything like that happening. Was that this LP?

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

Axe-man posted:

Thatbasterdken should get another round he was the best ilkhan and played the game game like a true clanner.

I'm 22 out, I wouldn't be mad if he got another go before I did, it was only like 2 turns.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

TildeATH posted:

Who? I don't remember anything like that happening. Was that this LP?

He was the one that lost a leg to an unlucky fall and crit and proceeded to give no fucks about it and stood up anyways.

Then got knocked over and did it again.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 31, 2012

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Rorac posted:

He was the one that lost a leg to an unlucky fall and crit and proceeded no fucks about it and stood up anyways.

Then got knocked over and did it again.

Are you sure? I mean, I remember all the crazy Cubanos, the Dropship REDACTED Massacre, the masterful destruction of a statue of Aldo Lestrade--really everything that happened in this thread, but I don't remember that guy.

:rimshot:

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah, I'd give him another shot. He isn't holding anyone back, SD already moved the line +1 through the queue and it's not like he got a full run at it.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
I'm something like 70 players out and I say give him another shot.

This is one of the most entertaining threads in LP, Perhaps all of Something Awful (though I admit I don't read all of the sub-forums), right up there with Mooecow's Chevy truck project in AI and Uglynoodles' tale of descent into madness in Ask/Tell.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

NovemberMike posted:

The Europeans were also a lot better at fighting than people give them credit for (actually there were better at almost everything than people give them credit for, there's a trend in modern history to avoid being Eurocentric by talking about all the bad things and none of the good things).

I'm not sure having a laserlike focus on being really effectively at murdering the poo poo out of people you don't like is a good thing, but yeah the Europeans did successfully develop said laserlike focus over a 2000 year long arms race with each other and their neighbours.

It's one of the things I like least about the IS/Clan invasion - after a hundred years of trying to murder each other at every oppotunity, surely the IS should be full of professional military types that should have post graduate qualifications from the school of hard knocks. Instead you have the Lyrians.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

TildeATH posted:

Are you sure? I mean, I remember all the crazy Cubanos, the Dropship REDACTED Massacre, the masterful destruction of a statue of Aldo Lestrade--really everything that happened in this thread, but I don't remember that guy.

:rimshot:

He backed his Wolfhound backwards down a slope, failed the PSR, fell and lost his leg through a TAC if I remember correctly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, that's kinda the Lyran gimmick. They managed to keep their industrial base intact primarily by staying out of most of the bickering and infighting so their military doctrine is worthless outside of throwing bigger metal at the problem.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

dis astranagant posted:

Well, that's kinda the Lyran gimmick. They managed to keep their industrial base intact primarily by staying out of most of the bickering and infighting so their military doctrine is worthless outside of throwing bigger metal at the problem.

They have a LOT of metal to throw on the otherhand.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lyrans generally have really really good Generals, NCOs and junior officers. The former because there's few enough to ensure competency and the latter because they're constantly adapting in the face of bad leadership. Even the SLDF considered Lyran NCOs really really really formidable.

It's the ranks of Kommandant to Hauptmann-General that are problematic. Katrina Steiner was well on her way to stomping out that problem until she died. Then the FedCom becomes a thing and Hanse is leading the charge, which resulted in it now being associated with the Davions. So when the FedCom comes undone, poor Lyran regimental officers are back in force, because you have officers who were shuffled out for incompetence who can now say the Davions were trying to marginalize them. And all because Melissa didn't like firing people so she had Hanse do it (who himself, didn't think anyone would mind).

What the Commonwealth really needs is a couple more units like the 19th Arcturan, who are packed to the gills with connected but incompetent officers. Tell them its a prestigious post and use it as a sink unit.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 1, 2012

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Even if everyone knows it's a storage bin for the social generals, if they look snazzy enough, go on parade enough, and get to act as honor guard for enough fancy occasions, I'm not sure people will mind getting sent there. Heck, it'll probably be seen as a cushy appointment. Even if they occasionally get their noses bloodied since that's what you do.

Also, I'm not sure if I want to explain TildeATH's joke or not, because it's entirely his and he's being very obvious about it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Defiance Industries posted:

It's the ranks of Kommandant to Hauptmann-General that are problematic.
To underscore the point, Victor graduated as a Kommandant IIRC (or at least he spent most of the 3049-3052 period as one).

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm not sure having a laserlike focus on being really effectively at murdering the poo poo out of people you don't like is a good thing, but yeah the Europeans did successfully develop said laserlike focus over a 2000 year long arms race with each other and their neighbours.

It's one of the things I like least about the IS/Clan invasion - after a hundred years of trying to murder each other at every oppotunity, surely the IS should be full of professional military types that should have post graduate qualifications from the school of hard knocks. Instead you have the Lyrians.

To be fair, it is full of professional military types with lots of experience. They're just spread out all over a thousand plus worlds interspersed with mediocre pilots.

There's also the thing with mechs as a status symbol. In the late succession wars, few enough new ones were getting put out that it doesn't matter how experienced you are. The new mechs are going to Chucklefuck McDumshit-Davion or someone with more pull than you.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

To underscore the point, Victor graduated as a Kommandant IIRC (or at least he spent most of the 3049-3052 period as one).

The only ranks in the AFFC he ever held were Kommandant (first of the ranks of failure) and Archon-Prince (a rank which was only ever held by the most incompetent people the Davions could find).

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Also, I'm not sure if I want to explain TildeATH's joke or not, because it's entirely his and he's being very obvious about it.

God knows I don't want to explain it.

Spencerb
Apr 16, 2005

Pinguliten posted:

He backed his Wolfhound backwards down a slope, failed the PSR, fell and lost his leg through a TAC if I remember correctly.

That's more than I remember and I was the one piloting it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Defiance Industries posted:

The only ranks in the AFFC he ever held were Kommandant (first of the ranks of failure) and Archon-Prince (a rank which was only ever held by the most incompetent people the Davions could find).
Well put.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Felime posted:

To be fair, it is full of professional military types with lots of experience. They're just spread out all over a thousand plus worlds interspersed with mediocre pilots.

There's also the thing with mechs as a status symbol. In the late succession wars, few enough new ones were getting put out that it doesn't matter how experienced you are. The new mechs are going to Chucklefuck McDumshit-Davion or someone with more pull than you.

The comparison is obviously the British navy (patronage mattered, being the son of the Duke of Lancaster was very helpful), but you were serving at the pleasure of the crown and the crown had little hesitation about kicking you out of the service or shooting you in the back of the head if the Commissar assigned to your boat (a.k.a your lieutenant) came back with evidence that you'd been completely retarded. I think about twice as many British naval officers got court marshalled and either discharged or executed for cowardice or imcompetence than were killed in actionduring the Napelonic war, and presumably lots more got parked on a beach for half pay when the first lord decided that he couldn't get McDumbshit fired (literally!) but could get rid of him forever.

I think the payment of prize money to your superiors based on your performance probably had an effect to (even if you don't like the guy much, having a successful captain around had the strong possibility of resulting in wads of cash for you), but Salvage rights in BattleTech should have the same effect of promoting competence.

So I guess the question is - do the pilots who take Salvage get a cut, and does their commander also get a cut of the cash?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

So I guess the question is - do the pilots who take Salvage get a cut, and does their commander also get a cut of the cash?

Not directly. For House units, if a lance destroys an enemy `Mech but doesn't destroy it utterly and it's repairable, it'll go to the regiment as a whole and be refurbished for use by one of the (dozens, typically) of disposessed `Mechwarriors who're members of the Regiment that've been shuffled into non-combat roles or infantry since they lack a `Mech.

So nobody benefits monitarily, but the regiment as a whole typically does benefit from salvage.

VVV PLANETS are the merchantmen. Most invading armies in the Inner Sphere do a fair bit of looting. It's pretty much just accepted by everyone.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 1, 2012

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not directly. For House units, if a lance destroys an enemy `Mech but doesn't destroy it utterly and it's repairable, it'll go to the regiment as a whole and be refurbished for use by one of the (dozens, typically) of disposessed `Mechwarriors who're members of the Regiment that've been shuffled into non-combat roles or infantry since they lack a `Mech.

So nobody benefits monitarily, but the regiment as a whole typically does benefit from salvage.

That's an interesting point. To continue the naval analogy, if the Crown decided they really liked the ship you captured, they made it theirs. (I'm almost certain I'm remembering this correctly.) The King isn't going to pay you top dollar. It's only if the Royal Navy decided 'meh, not worth keeping' or it was just a merchantman that they would sell the prize (and her cargo) and the fat prize money be handed out. Not that there's no money in capturing warships, but it is hard and not as lucrative as capturing merchants with big money cargo.

One might imagine that if there were suddenly way more sailors than ships and few ships were being produced that warship prize money might go away entirely.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Centurium posted:

That's an interesting point. To continue the naval analogy, if the Crown decided they really liked the ship you captured, they made it theirs. (I'm almost certain I'm remembering this correctly.) The King isn't going to pay you top dollar. It's only if the Royal Navy decided 'meh, not worth keeping' or it was just a merchantman that they would sell the prize (and her cargo) and the fat prize money be handed out. Not that there's no money in capturing warships, but it is hard and not as lucrative as capturing merchants with big money cargo.

One might imagine that if there were suddenly way more sailors than ships and few ships were being produced that warship prize money might go away entirely.

Warships attracted prize money too, and it was the assessed value of the warship as determined by an 'independant commission' that the admiral who was getting 1/8th of the assessed value apointed, so you always had an assessed value that was just below whatever value would result in corruption investigations. Admirals then had a couple of other tricks to ensure that their share was bigger than 1/8th, but hey.

The problem was that you'd only get paid for the actual value of the ship you captured including whatever damage you'd inflicted on it. After a couple of hours slugging it out with another 74 gun ship of the line, the damage bill on your new prize warship could be very large which meant that the assessed value might be quite small. However, in part to compensate for this the British used to pay 'head money' for the crew of warships you captured based on how many people were on it at the start of the engagement(!!) to encourage people to take warships. Even if you killed all most of the crew, a 600 man crew was still worth a cool 3 grand (200 years of wages for a sailor) - so you the Jolly jack tar would get a bit less than 2 months wages as a bonus + something for whatever the floating pile of woodchips you just captured was worth.

If there is a shortage of warships ala Battletech , capturing one is going to be more important, so you'd put head money up in the British context. But hey, just on salvage value, an Atlas is worth a tidy 14 million C-Bills, so in the 'British' model, the force commander would pocket a 1.75 million(!) C-Bill bonus, and all the pilots (say in a 16 vs 16 battle where only the atlas was captured, but it was mint) a tidy $210,000 C-Bills each.

I bet this would result in a dramatic increase in efficency, because that is motivating

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 1, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I bet this would result in a dramatic increase in efficency, because that is motivating

It is indeed, but the model is unsustainable in the Inner Sphere since the average soldier makes a few hundred C-bills a month. Most likely any prize money would be at a fraction of the open market value (1/10th most likely), but that's still a pretty hefty bonus for the average Great House `Mechwarrior (while not being high enough to enable them to retire off a single `Mech capture).

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It is indeed, but the model is unsustainable in the Inner Sphere since the average soldier makes a few hundred C-bills a month. Most likely any prize money would be at a fraction of the open market value (1/10th most likely), but that's still a pretty hefty bonus for the average Great House `Mechwarrior (while not being high enough to enable them to retire off a single `Mech capture).

I'm probably getting realism and battletech mixed in unsuitable quantities here, but the annual wage for a British sailor was twelve pounds, and a 'big capture' was worth 30 or 40 pounds to said sailor, so it can work but that's a different model.

But yeah, with sizeable bonuses on offer like that, you are going to be strongly motivated to be more aggressive (bigger chance of a fight and cash prizes), and will probably change your tactics when you do.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I imagine you'd see a trend towards greater accuracy from people trying to leg or headcap mechs (no idea how that would shake out in tabletop though). Clanners wouldn't even know what the gently caress.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

paragon1 posted:

I imagine you'd see a trend towards greater accuracy from people trying to leg or headcap mechs

And in the tabletop game, too! :v

It is a mechwarrior joke

Anyways, PTN informed me that the Gargoyle's cockpit is its mouth and I just dunno what the gently caress. :psyduck:

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The British Navy.

You might like to look up the execution of Admiral Byng for his loss at Battle of Minorca, 1756. It's a major consideration for Britian's mightily victorious naval history.

The battle:

The French were sieging the island of Minorca, an important island for British trade and sea projection, when Admiral Byng was dispatched with a task force to relieve the garrison. As Byng approached the island the French fleet moved to block him from landing his troops. Both fleets were equally composed of twelve ships of the line and a gagle of frigates, but the weather gauge was in Britian's favor.

Suffice it to say, Byng bungled it. His poor coordination and sloppy seamanship gave the French the opportunity to savage the lead ships of Byng's expedition and slip away. Yet contrary to first assumption, the casualties were fairly equal on each side. The real mistake of Byng's was his election not to pursue the French fleet. He returned to Britian and Minorca fell to the French.

The execution:

England was incensed. Byng was court martialed and sentenced to death for "failing to do his utmost" as the Articles of War were explicit: "Every person who through cowardice or negligence or disaffection shall in action withdraw or keep back or not come into the fight or engagement or shall not do his utmost to take or destroy every ship which be his duty to engage... shall suffer death." Byng had equal numbers and an advantage, but even after he lost the initial engagement he still had a capable fleet. To let the French escape without further harrassment was unconscioble.

Voltaire famously mocked, "In this country, it is wise to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others." The lesson for the rest of the Navy was clear. Nothing short of victory was expected of every admiral. Any ship or fleet with fight in it is expected to carry on until death or victory; otherwise "judicial murder" was a very real possibility.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Urcinius posted:

The execution:

England was incensed. Byng was court martialed and sentenced to death for "failing to do his utmost" as the Articles of War were explicit: "Every person who through cowardice or negligence or disaffection shall in action withdraw or keep back or not come into the fight or engagement or shall not do his utmost to take or destroy every ship which be his duty to engage... shall suffer death." Byng had equal numbers and an advantage, but even after he lost the initial engagement he still had a capable fleet. To let the French escape without further harrassment was unconscioble.

Voltaire famously mocked, "In this country, it is wise to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others." The lesson for the rest of the Navy was clear. Nothing short of victory was expected of every admiral. Any ship or fleet with fight in it is expected to carry on until death or victory; otherwise "judicial murder" was a very real possibility.

Yeah, it's all linked together - the fighting instructions, the articles of war and prize money are two sides of the same coin. It's fascinating in a historical context that both the harsh punishments of the articles of war disappeared along with prize money when central authorities gained much more power to directly monitor and control captains. The number of captains discharged or executed through cowardice or misconduct is extraordinatory (8% or so if I remember correctly in the 1700s). Many more would have been protected by influence or otherwise put on the beach rather than drummed out.

The rigid inflexibility of the fighting instructions, the harsh punishment of the articles of war and the big incentives of prize money are to strictly define the duties of a captain in alignment with the goals of the crown (destory the hostile fleet) and give them a big carrot and a really big stick to actually do that in an enviroment where 'the wind' or whatever give the captain some big excuses to try and dodge responsibility. Here is what you will do (the fighting instructions), here is what we will do to you if you don't (the articles of war), and here is a huge cash prize if you can get it done well.

It's not quite nothing short of victory is expected, it's a literal implementation of 'come home with your shield or on it' - Voltaire's snark is actually deadly accurate and the Admirality was definately into demolishing your career or having you shot on that basis.

e: Trafalgar is a classic, the captains of the french van would have all been shot out of hand by the British authorities for rank cowardice for failing to engage more closely as proscribed by the fighting instructions.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 1, 2012

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

VVV PLANETS are the merchantmen. Most invading armies in the Inner Sphere do a fair bit of looting. It's pretty much just accepted by everyone.

I'm trying to figure out the salvage issue and how to handle player salvage, as well as the difference in salvage rights between players who own their mech and players given a mech by the military, in a pen/paper/tabletop campaign I'm planning on running. Thanks very much for the above. But beyond that, can you point me to the materials you got that from? I'd very much like to read up more on this. Thanks!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The rigid inflexibility of the fighting instructions...Here is what you will do (the fighting instructions), here is what we will do to you if you don't (the articles of war), and here is a huge cash prize if you can get it done well.

It's not quite nothing short of victory is expected, it's a literal implementation of 'come home with your shield or on it' - Voltaire's snark is actually deadly accurate and the Admirality was definately into demolishing your career or having you shot on that basis.

e: Trafalgar is a classic, the captains of the french van would have all been shot out of hand by the British authorities for rank cowardice for failing to engage more closely as proscribed by the fighting instructions.

I can't agree with this. Nelson is remembered as brilliant because he refused to adhere to the Fighting Instructions. You can make the case that Byng was 'judicially murdered' (as the sentiment ran in the Navy at the time) because he did cling too closely to them, refusing to break the line of battle to better engage - ironic, because Thomas Mathews was cashiered for doing just that at Toulon fifteen years earlier - and also to appease public opinion, which had come to expect inevitable victories from the Royal Navy.

Moreover, there was very little shame attached to defeat by a superior enemy vessel or force - a captain (or commander) who struck a brig to a frigate or a frigate to a ship of the line would face a court-martial as a matter of course, but it is very unlikely serious punishment would be administered without extenuating circumstances.

Speaking of punishments, I cannot call to mind a list of any length of post-captains executed for cowardice in the time period in question. Relatively few were even dismissed the service for failure in battle, as far as I am aware; Williamson of Agincourt at Camperdown leaps to mind, to be sure, but even he, with a checkered history of less-than-bold service, was simply 'beached' and permitted to draw half-pay.

As to Trafalgar, I think a fair defense for the allied van not engaging more closely would be 'what little wind there was did not permit it,' but I agree that their performance was not creditable.

Now, was the Royal Navy more of a meritocracy than the Army at the time? Absolutely - having to (theoretically) earn your promotion to lieutenant and captain was a much better system than simply purchasing your rank. I reject your thesis that it was a particularly draconian discipline (among the officers, mind) that made them so.

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
I always look forward to the times that draw The Merry Marauder out to make a naval post.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Thanks, though I feel bad about doing it in this thread. I probably should have included a comment on which Successor State's military is most meritorious, but I can't really come to a consensus in my own mind, much less a persuasive and analogous case. The existence of training academies complicates things, since those were in their somewhat febrile infancy in Napoleonic Britain.

re: Cthulhu Dreams' comment, I may have been too harsh - I was reminded of Kirkby's execution, and others; though they are all well before the Napoleonic Wars, I'm prepared to concede that such punishments helped create the environment that permitted the Royal Navy to be so dominant in future.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The Merry Marauder posted:

Now, was the Royal Navy more of a meritocracy than the Army at the time? Absolutely - having to (theoretically) earn your promotion to lieutenant and captain was a much better system than simply purchasing your rank. I reject your thesis that it was a particularly draconian discipline (among the officers, mind) that made them so.

I'm suggesting it's not just draconian discipline - it's a combination of incentives. You're well rewarded if you do it well and harshly punished for failing to do so - if you were serious about the career even being beached on half pay was essentially terminal, a post-captain's half pay wage was not that good.

I'd make the observation that one of Blake's stated reasons behind developing/forcing the admirality to develop the fighting instructions was to ensure that captain's couldn't shirk the fight - specifically removing the right of captains to leave the line of battle at a time of their own chosing under the punishment of death. As the line of battle isn't even a particularly good idea (see: Trafalgar) what is the point of these reforms if not disicipline?

It's also worth nothing the articles of war were subsequently abolished for much less harsh methods post the introduction of steam where factors like the weather couldn't interfer with engagements (with reason)

I agree Byng got a bum rap, and I'm not saying it's 100% punishment that motivated these people (officers were free to join), but there sure was a big stick. The carrot was pretty big though.

The mandatory death penalty for failure to engage was abolished in 1778, so obviously by 1800 there are going to be less deaths, the most obvious one I think think of is the admiral in 1805 getting court marshalled for failing to pursue the french after his inital victory.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 1, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Best Friends posted:

I'm trying to figure out the salvage issue and how to handle player salvage, as well as the difference in salvage rights between players who own their mech and players given a mech by the military, in a pen/paper/tabletop campaign I'm planning on running. Thanks very much for the above. But beyond that, can you point me to the materials you got that from? I'd very much like to read up more on this. Thanks!

The old Mercenaries sourcebook, mostly. They also had rules for running a merc unit (hint: it's very expensive; by the rules provided there's no way a unit smaller than a Battalion in strength can ever conceivably survive more than about 6 months).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Counting Coup: Tactical Update 15

Movement Phase
P3 Gargoyle D
- Activates MASC, must roll a 5+ to avoid leg damage: rolled 5, succeeds!
- Entered building hex 0117, must pass a piloting test to avoid damage (3 base + 3 heavy building = 6): rolled 10, succeeds!
- - Building CF exceeded, must roll on the basements table: rolled 8, no basement!
- Entered building hex 0119, must pass a piloting test to avoid damage (3 base + 3 heavy building = 6): rolled 8, succeeds!
- - Building CF exceeded, must roll on the basements table: rolled 7, no basement!

Combat Phase
P3 Gargoyle D
- Holds fire!
Generates 2 heat, sinks 32!

B Warhammer
- Holds fire!

O1 Atlas
- Holds fire!

O2 Mauler Daboku 1
- Holds fire!

O3 Mauler Daboku 2
- Holds fire!

O4 Hatamoto Hankou
- Holds fire!

S1 Phoenix Hawk
- Holds fire!

S3 Jenner 2
- Holds fire!

S5 Panther 1
- Holds fire!

Rosinski Ami stood in line, silently waiting for her turn through the door and down the building’s western stairwell. It was flooded with refugees from the upper floors, but Salaryman Korean had thus-far kept everyone on the floor organized and patient. Normally, that task should’ve fallen to their floor supervisor, but the man had probably been killed earlier in the Clan attack on the city. It wasn’t much of a loss to Tanadi computers, honestly, the man hadn’t had the best business sense and she’d meant to point that out the next time he came up in her audits of the company’s books.

The woman in front of her took a sudden step back, jarring her. Ami grunted at the unexpected contact, her head snapping upwards as her reverie was interrupted—and screamed as a death-faced `Mech bore down on them. As if set free of the leash of polite Draconis Combine society by her scream, the crowd broke and ran—directly towards the stairwell. The press of bodies pushed Ami forward in a crushing wave, driving the breath from her as, decorum forgotten, everyone struggled to reach the corner stairwell.

A hand closed on her right bicep, pulling her from the crowd—Korean Robert, she blinked in recognition. His mouth was open as if he was yelling something, trying to usher people away from the stairwell perhaps. Nobody listened. He dragged her from the press of bodies, and she took a sharp swallow of air.

The `Mech smashed through the building like an angry oni, cubicles bursting against its broad head. If the windows had still had glass in them, the crowd assembled would’ve been killed instantly—Ami almost wondered if that would have been preferable to being smashed against the armor plating of an eighty-ton Battlemech traveling at over a hundred kilometers per hour or dropped into the hole it left in its wake.

At the far end of the room, the stairwell—and the siren’s song of safety it’d represented—collapsed as one of the `Mech’s great arms swept through it.

“Are you all right?” Korean Robert asked her quietly. It took Ami a few moments to even realize he’d spoken. She didn’t answer, standing transfixed as a desk flew through the air towards them, freed from its cubicle by the `Mech’s passage like an angry tiger from a cage. The world seemed to move in slow motion and Ami’s big brown eyes drank in every detail—the scattering of papers from the desk; the brave little office chair that’d tried in vain to impede the desk’s flight to freedom and now lay broken and bleeding cotton fluff from a mortal wound in reward for its temerity; the battered face of the Clan pilot as he drove his `Mech to safety heedless of the damage he was doing in the process.

Something in her snapped.

Ami lunged forward, knocking Korean Robert bodily to the ground. The young office star landed hard, his head smashing against a potted fichus. The corner of the desk scraped her shoulder in a line of burning agony that drew an involuntary shriek from her lips. It landed with a harsh crash, leveling another cubicle before breaking to pieces on the less aggressive desk formerly trapped within.

“Y-you saved my life!” Robert announced quietly, picking himself up and helping Ami to her feet. She didn’t reply, staring in silence at the vast hole in the floor the others had vanished into. Robert turned, and did the same. They stood in horrified silence.

Both shook. Uncontrollably.

Mission Objectives
Kill Takashi Kurita (Success!)

Secondary Objective
At least 1 Clan `Mech escapes via any of the river hexes

Enemy Movement Modifiers:
B Warhammer: R+1
O1 Atlas: S+0
O2 Mauler Daboku 1: S+0
O3 Mauler Daboku 2: S+0
O4 Hatamoto Hankou: S+0
S1 Phoenix Hawk: S+0
S3 Jenner 2: W+0
S5 Panther 1: S+0

P5 Kingfisher B
Weight: 90 tons (Assault)
Mechwarrior Name: Star Captain Nasrullah
Mechwarrior Player: Keru
Mechwarrior Status: 3rd Degree burns, Killed by Synaptic Overload!

P4 Gargoyle 1 Prime
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Zenyatta DeLarel
Mechwarrior Player: GenericOverusedName
Mechwarrior Status: OK!

P3 Gargoyle 2 D
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 0/9 (2/3)
LT A(S): 24/26 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 8/8
CT A(S): 36/38 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 12/12
RT A(S): 2/26 (17/17)
RT R A(S): 8/8
LA A(S): 24/26 (13/13)
RA A(S): 18/26 (13/13)
LL A(S): 19/34 (17/17)
RL A(S): 4/34 (17/17)
Heat: 2/30
Overheat Penalty:
Heat Sinks: 16(32)
Movement: 5/8[10]/5
Mechwarrior: Pilot 3, Gunnery 2
Mechwarrior Name: Star Captain Matsukaze Ravenwater
Mechwarrior Player: Der Waffle Maus
Armament:
ER Large Laser – RA (Heat: 12, Range: (L:25 M:15 S:8), Status: OK!)
ER Large Laser – RA (Heat: 12, Range: (L:25 M:15 S:8), Status: OK!)
Streak SRM-6 – LA (Heat: 4, Ammo: 14, Range: (L:12 M:8 S:4), Status: OK!)
ER Small Laser – LA (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
ER Small Laser – LA (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
ER Small Laser – HD (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Targeting Computer – RT (Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 2 hands

P2 Hellbringer C
Weight: 65 tons (Heavy)
Mechwarrior Name: Star Colonel Kelso Cooper
Mechwarrior Player: Serril
Mechwarrior Status: Killed in Action!

P1 Stormcrow B
Weight: 55 tons (Medium)
Mechwarrior Name: ilKhan Lair Seidman
Mechwarrior Player: thatbastardken
Mechwarrior Status: Neural Feedback, Compound-Fractured Collarbone, Incinerated!

Enemy Status

A) GRD-1T Grand Dragon
Weight:
60 tons (Heavy)
Mechwarrior Name: Coordinator Takashi Kurita
Mechwarrior Status: Unknown!

B) WHM-6Y Warhammer
Weight:
70 tons (Heavy)
Overheat Penalty: None
Mechwarrior: Pilot 0, Gunnery 0
Mechwarrior Name: Sho-sa Yorinaga Kurita
Armament:
2x ER PPC, 3x Medium Laser, 2x Small Laser, Null Signature System
Notes:

C) THG-11E Thug
Weight:
80 tons (Assault)
Mechwarrior Name: Akira Kurita
Mechwarrior Status: Severe concussion!

O1 AS7-D Atlas
Weight:
100 tons (Assault)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Name: Sho-Sho Oda Hideyoshi
Mechwarrior Status: Enraged!
Armament:
Autocannon/20, 4x Medium Laser, LRM-20, SRM-6
Notes:

O2 MDB-1X Mauler Daboku 1
Weight:
90 tons (Assault)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Armament:
2x Gauss Rifle, 3x Medium Laser
Notes:

O3 MDB-1X Mauler Daboku 2
Weight:
90 tons (Assault)
Armament:
2x Gauss Rifle, 3x Medium Laser
Notes:

O4 HTM-25T Hatamoto Hankou
Weight:
80 tons (Assault)
Armament:
Gauss Rifle, 2x SRM-6, Medium Laser, Small Laser
Notes:

S1 PHX-1D Phoenix Hawk
Weight:
45 tons (Medium)
Armament:
Large Laser, 2x Medium Laser
Notes:

S2 JR7-D Jenner 1
Weight:
35 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Status: Ejection seat failure!

S3 JR7-D Jenner 2
Weight:
35 tons (Light)
Armament:
4x Medium Laser, SRM-4
Notes:

S4 SDR-5V Spider
Weight:
30 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Status: Dead!

S5 PNT-8Z Panther 1
Weight:
35 tons (Light)
Armament:
SRM-4
Notes:

S6 PNT-9R Panther 2
Weight:
35 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Status: Ejected!

S7 PNT-9R Panther 3
Weight:
35 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Status: Killed In Action!

S8 PNT-9R Panther 4
Weight:
35 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Status: Unknown!

Y1 HBK-4G Hunchback
Weight:
50 tons (Medium)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 3, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Status: Ok!
Armament:
Autocannon/20, 2x Medium Laser, Small Laser
Notes:

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
love can bloom

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Chair In A Basket posted:

love can bloom

Now it just needs to be raining.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Alright, another turn of beating the odds for Star Captain Ravenwater and star-crossed lovers Korean Robert and Rosinski Ami! Now all that stands between the clans and a total victory is Yorinaga Kurita and an impossible Hunchback!

A horrifying thought occurs: If these buildings are occupied, what about the ones that were demolished to provide the killing fields? Did whoever was manning that detonator just kill tens of thousands of civilians to get a clear field of fire for the Coordinator and his bodyguards? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
This marks the second turn in a roll that MASC needed X and rolled X.

This gets exponentially more awesome with each turn. Will our brave gargoyle kool aide all the way through? Will he use jumpjets?

Guaranteed awesome.

• Locked thread