Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Africanus
Mar 13, 2007
The Barcid Slayer
Xarbala those sketches are awesome!

I think the Kingfisher is my least favorite, but it's still better than the Canon Kingfisher, somehow I always imagined it looking different than the one in the tech readout.

Also since you posted the link for the Garg on Sarna, I just want to stress how HORRIBLE the art for the Battletech CCG was. At the bottom of the Garg page on Sarna you can still see some of the art from the original cards. I still have a bunch of those cards and every once in awhile I'll take them out to look at them and remind myself all over again why I keep them in a covered box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The Kingfisher, IS reporting name "RAGNAROK"

90-ton Urban Juggernaut, now with a discrete torso! I still don't know what part of the face is supposed to be the cockpit, though.

I've always thought that it would be a good idea for mechs to have a co-pilot/navigator/RIO. Especially since it seems like there is a definite surplus of mechwarriors; even if all 2 pilots did for you was give you 2 separate rolls to stay conscious it would be worth it. But you could take it further, and let the copilot have control of one arm so you could engage 2 targets without the secondary target penalty, maybe let you fire indirectly with a reduced penalty, etc.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Oh hell yes.

The garg was always a design I thought was pretty silly, even back in the days when my only exposure to BT was Mechwarrior 2 and that awful cartoon.

Now I feel like I'm piloting something I can feel suitably badass in.

On the other hand, the Stormcrow and Hellbringer are two designs I rather like already, but I just can't say no to the gelgoog legs. The Stormcrow looks so drat dynamic, and I love that the tiny hands have been retained.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nevets posted:

I've always thought that it would be a good idea for mechs to have a co-pilot/navigator/RIO. Especially since it seems like there is a definite surplus of mechwarriors; even if all 2 pilots did for you was give you 2 separate rolls to stay conscious it would be worth it. But you could take it further, and let the copilot have control of one arm so you could engage 2 targets without the secondary target penalty, maybe let you fire indirectly with a reduced penalty, etc.

In canon there are some commanders that went into battle with a tac-officer in a jumpseat, though it didn't seem to be the norm.

Also, great sketches Xarbala. Really like what you did with all of them, especially the Hellbringer and Stormcrow.

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968

Nevets posted:

I think some of them do have a second cockpit, (for some reaon one particular King Crab KGC-001 rings a bell, i think it was in one of the books somewhere), but they're mostly command mechs (second seater doesn't actually control the mech, but runs the battle from there)

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Anghammarad posted:

I think some of them do have a second cockpit, but they're mostly command mechs.

And virtually all of those that are not command mechs are training mechs, because dual cockpit mechs are pretty rare all in all.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Anghammarad posted:

I think some of them do have a second cockpit, (for some reaon one particular King Crab KGC-001 rings a bell, i think it was in one of the books somewhere), but they're mostly command mechs (second seater doesn't actually control the mech, but runs the battle from there)

The Cyclops has a 2nd cockpit, it gets mentioned a few times and I think the 2nd CO of Operation Bulldog (or was it Galahad?) pilots one and talks to her co-pilot in the books.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Nevets posted:

You could just paint a face on your Sensors and maybe name it in the crit space. "Critical Hit: Goose knocked out! (+4 to all to-hit rolls)"

In seriousness, I agree with you. The F-14 Tomcat model (minus Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer) makes more sense to me, too, given the mix of high and low-tech in BT.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
That's pretty much why the Battlemasters' cockpit was as big as it was.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Xarbala, you do realize I can't buy you a new avatar for every round, right?

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Krumbsthumbs posted:

The Cyclops has a 2nd cockpit, it gets mentioned a few times and I think the 2nd CO of Operation Bulldog (or was it Galahad?) pilots one and talks to her co-pilot in the books.

Task Force Serpent, the Eridani Light Horse CO

edit: I am ashamed that I immediately knew this

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Guitar_Hero posted:

Task Force Serpent, the Eridani Light Horse CO

edit: I am ashamed that I immediately knew this

I'm ashamed I didn't. The Eridani Light Horse are well known, if not universally respected (Those uniforms...)

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Krumbsthumbs posted:

The commander was Gen. Ariana Winston. Her comm tech was Kip Douglas. And I'm not sure about the model, but the only reason she had a Command Console in her Cyclops was because they got rid of the SRM launcher and the ammo. This left her woefully undergunned in the end.

I know this because reading about the drop onto Huntress was one of my favorite parts in Sword and Fire, so I read it over and over a lot.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rick_Hunter posted:

The commander was Gen. Ariana Winston. Her comm tech was Kip Douglas. And I'm not sure about the model, but the only reason she had a Command Console in her Cyclops was because they got rid of the SRM launcher and the ammo. This left her woefully undergunned in the end.

I know this because reading about the drop onto Huntress was one of my favorite parts in Sword and Fire, so I read it over and over a lot.

Morgan Hasek-Davion was poisoned in that same novel.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Rick_Hunter posted:

Ah yes, the book where we were told no fewer than three times that the Galaxy Commander had decided to switch her Cauldron-Born into the energy-weapon rich "B" variant.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Der Waffle Mous posted:

That's pretty much why the Battlemasters' cockpit was as big as it was.

Yeah the cover of Rolling Thunder depicts a two-seater BattleMaster. Rules-wise though you have to pay tonnage for that kind of cockpit, and the BattleMaster doesn't come with it as standard equipment. Apparently the Lyrans favour the Zeus as a platform for a dual-seater command refit while everyone else uses the BattleMaster.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Rick_Hunter posted:

I have the whole Exodus Road set, which, although the quality varies from author to author, is overall pretty good.

You do really start to hate Victor when he just rolls in at the end, after most of the characters you've been following are dead and is like, "Good job on taking Huntress everyone, where's Morgan?" and generally being impossibly smug.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah the cover of Rolling Thunder depicts a two-seater BattleMaster. Rules-wise though you have to pay tonnage for that kind of cockpit, and the BattleMaster doesn't come with it as standard equipment. Apparently the Lyrans favour the Zeus as a platform for a dual-seater command refit while everyone else uses the BattleMaster.

It's only one ton and the head crit, so they generally just pull one ML or sink. Anyway, Marik also likes to use the Orion.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Defiance Industries posted:

It's only one ton and the head crit, so they generally just pull one ML or sink. Anyway, Marik also likes to use the Orion.

I should have remembered that since I'm such a whore for the Free Worlds League. Duh.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Counting Coup: Tactical Update 16

Combat Phase
P3 Gargoyle D
- Fires ER Large Laser at B Warhammer (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 5): rolled 11, hit Right Arm (2/22 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at B Warhammer (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 5): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires ER Small Laser at B Warhammer (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 5): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (17/22 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at B Warhammer (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, 6 missiles hit Rear Left Torso (6/8 armor remains), Left Leg (28/30 armor remains), Left Arm (15/22 armor remains), Rear Left Torso (4/8 armor remains), Right Arm (0/22 armor remains), Right Arm (9/11 structure remains (critical chance!))!
Generates 35 heat, sinks 32!

B Warhammer
- Torso twists to threaten hex 0522!
- Fires ER-PPC at P3 Gargoyle D (0 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 5): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (14/26 armor remains)!

O1 Atlas
- Holds fire!

O2 Mauler Daboku 1
- Holds fire!

O3 Mauler Daboku 2
- Holds fire!

O4 Hatamoto Hankou
- Holds fire!

S1 Phoenix Hawk
- Holds fire!

S3 Jenner 2
- Fires Medium Laser at P3 Gargoyle D (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at P3 Gargoyle D (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at P3 Gargoyle D (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at P3 Gargoyle D (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 7, miss!

S5 Panther 1
- Holds fire!

End Phase:
B Warhammer
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (0 base + 1 massive damage = 1): automatic success!
- Critical chance in Right Arm! No critical hits sustained!

Physical Combat Phase:
P3 Gargoyle D
- Kicks B Warhammer (3 base + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 clanner - 2 kick = 7): rolled 6, miss!

End Phase:
P3 Gargoyle D
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 0 missed kick = 3): rolled 6, succeeds!

Matsukaze Ravenwater felt alive again, for the first time in a long while. The burned skin on his face still hurt intensely, and he tasted blood when his lips curled into a smile. He’d recognized at the last minute that the ground floor of the building he’d been preparing to power himself through was a bank—reinforced heavily, leaving him no way to get through without doing himself irreparable leg damage.

He pushed off with both of the Gargoyle’s hands, intentionally toppling backwards before kicking in his jump jets and sailing free of the `Mech-sized crater he’d put in the side of the building. An exceptionally skilled pilot, he twisted mid-air and used his Gargoyle’s unbalanced flight to propel it down the street. He landed heavily behind his pursuer—it wouldn’t have been his first choice, flanking intentionally was a gross violation of Clan honor rules—but this mission had been without honor to begin with.

He fired, bringing his weapons in line with the Warhammer’s arms and legs to spare it the humiliation of killing it from behind. Even the staunchest of Crusaders wouldn’t have denied him his choice of targets; and only a few of his SRMs caught the enemy heavy `Mech in the back.

Mission Objectives
Kill Takashi Kurita (Success!)

Secondary Objective
At least 1 Clan `Mech escapes via any of the river hexes

Enemy Movement Modifiers:
B Warhammer: W+0
O1 Atlas: S+0
O2 Mauler Daboku 1: S+0
O3 Mauler Daboku 2: S+0
O4 Hatamoto Hankou: S+0
S1 Phoenix Hawk: J+3
S3 Jenner 2: J+3
S5 Panther 1: S+0

P5 Kingfisher B
Weight: 90 tons (Assault)
Mechwarrior Name: Star Captain Nasrullah
Mechwarrior Player: Keru
Mechwarrior Status: 3rd Degree burns, Killed by Synaptic Overload!

P4 Gargoyle 1 Prime
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
Mechwarrior Name: Mechwarrior Zenyatta DeLarel
Mechwarrior Player: GenericOverusedName
Mechwarrior Status: OK!

P3 Gargoyle 2 D
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 0/9 (2/3)
LT A(S): 24/26 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 8/8
CT A(S): 36/38 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 12/12
RT A(S): 2/26 (17/17)
RT R A(S): 8/8
LA A(S): 14/26 (13/13)
RA A(S): 18/26 (13/13)
LL A(S): 19/34 (17/17)
RL A(S): 4/34 (17/17)
Heat: 3/30
Overheat Penalty:
Heat Sinks: 16(32)
Movement: 5/8[10]/5
Mechwarrior: Pilot 3, Gunnery 2
Mechwarrior Name: Star Captain Matsukaze Ravenwater
Mechwarrior Player: Der Waffle Maus
Armament:
ER Large Laser – RA (Heat: 12, Range: (L:25 M:15 S:8), Status: OK!)
ER Large Laser – RA (Heat: 12, Range: (L:25 M:15 S:8), Status: OK!)
Streak SRM-6 – LA (Heat: 4, Ammo: 14, Range: (L:12 M:8 S:4), Status: OK!)
ER Small Laser – LA (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
ER Small Laser – LA (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
ER Small Laser – HD (Heat: 2, Range: (L:6 M:4 S:2), Status: OK!)
Targeting Computer – RT (Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 2 hands

P2 Hellbringer C
Weight: 65 tons (Heavy)
Mechwarrior Name: Star Colonel Kelso Cooper
Mechwarrior Player: Serril
Mechwarrior Status: Killed in Action!

P1 Stormcrow B
Weight: 55 tons (Medium)
Mechwarrior Name: ilKhan Lair Seidman
Mechwarrior Player: thatbastardken
Mechwarrior Status: Neural Feedback, Compound-Fractured Collarbone, Incinerated!

Enemy Status

A) GRD-1T Grand Dragon
Weight:
60 tons (Heavy)
Mechwarrior Name: Coordinator Takashi Kurita
Mechwarrior Status: Unknown!

B) WHM-6Y Warhammer
Weight:
70 tons (Heavy)
Overheat Penalty: None
Mechwarrior: Pilot 0, Gunnery 0
Mechwarrior Name: Sho-sa Yorinaga Kurita
Armament:
2x ER PPC, 3x Medium Laser, 2x Small Laser, Null Signature System
Notes:

C) THG-11E Thug
Weight:
80 tons (Assault)
Mechwarrior Name: Akira Kurita
Mechwarrior Status: Severe concussion!

O1 AS7-D Atlas
Weight:
100 tons (Assault)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Name: Sho-Sho Oda Hideyoshi
Mechwarrior Status: Enraged!
Armament:
Autocannon/20, 4x Medium Laser, LRM-20, SRM-6
Notes:

O2 MDB-1X Mauler Daboku 1
Weight:
90 tons (Assault)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Armament:
2x Gauss Rifle, 3x Medium Laser
Notes:

O3 MDB-1X Mauler Daboku 2
Weight:
90 tons (Assault)
Armament:
2x Gauss Rifle, 3x Medium Laser
Notes:

O4 HTM-25T Hatamoto Hankou
Weight:
80 tons (Assault)
Armament:
Gauss Rifle, 2x SRM-6, Medium Laser, Small Laser
Notes:

S1 PHX-1D Phoenix Hawk
Weight:
45 tons (Medium)
Armament:
Large Laser, 2x Medium Laser
Notes:

S2 JR7-D Jenner 1
Weight:
35 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Status: Ejection seat failure!

S3 JR7-D Jenner 2
Weight:
35 tons (Light)
Armament:
4x Medium Laser, SRM-4
Notes:

S4 SDR-5V Spider
Weight:
30 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Status: Dead!

S5 PNT-8Z Panther 1
Weight:
35 tons (Light)
Armament:
SRM-4
Notes:

S6 PNT-9R Panther 2
Weight:
35 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Status: Ejected!

S7 PNT-9R Panther 3
Weight:
35 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Status: Killed In Action!

S8 PNT-9R Panther 4
Weight:
35 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Status: Unknown!

Y1 HBK-4G Hunchback
Weight:
50 tons (Medium)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 3, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Status: Ok!
Armament:
Autocannon/20, 2x Medium Laser, Small Laser
Notes:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 2, 2012

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Ahahahah. If he pulls this off this'll be amazing. :allears:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
How did that crit chance resolve?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is P3 at 0620? Does that mean he has a clear run (with MASC) to get out of LOS at 1224 or further down the road? Because that would be amazing. Just hilariously awesome.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

MASC gonna fail hilariously.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

the JJ posted:

How did that crit chance resolve?

Yorinaga is immune to crits.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Oh God, I have to know what damage those SRMs did :suspense:

EDIT: Nevermind. Yorinaga :argh:

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 2, 2012

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
1224 is going to require another 5+ MASC roll and a big time skidding roll. Pretty risky.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Bad Moon posted:

Oh God, I have to know what damage those SRMs did :suspense:

Nothing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arcturas posted:

Is P3 at 0620? Does that mean he has a clear run (with MASC) to get out of LOS at 1224 or further down the road? Because that would be amazing. Just hilariously awesome.

Two semi-risky rolls but if you make it they'll be pretty much unable to catch you, and then it's just the hunchback.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Two semi-risky rolls but if you make it they'll be pretty much unable to catch you, and then it's just the hunchback.

which can just sit at a certain hex and get a range 3 AC/20 shot into DWM.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

AtomikKrab posted:

Yorinaga is immune to crits.

Hmm, makes sense, considering Yorinaga is surely one of three things - plant, construct, or undead.

PoptartsNinja posted:

P3 Gargoyle D
- Fires ER Large Laser at B Warhammer (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 5): rolled 11, hit Right Arm (2/22 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at B Warhammer (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 5): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires ER Small Laser at B Warhammer (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 5): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (17/22 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at B Warhammer (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, 6 missiles hit Rear Left Torso (6/8 armor remains), Left Leg (28/30 armor remains), Left Arm (15/22 armor remains), Rear Left Torso (4/8 armor remains), Right Arm (0/22 armor remains), Right Arm (9/11 structure remains (critical chance!))!
Generates 35 heat, sinks 32!

:stare:
How the hell did you not hit the crippled limb!?!?!?

And I think the MASC roll is 4+ now. It cools down by 1 every turn it isn't used.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Nicely done. Now MASC it to 1224 and you're most of the way home!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Yorinaga is undead.

Also DFA yorinaga, this is the best option.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
This is the turn where you DFA Yorinaga Kurita and go down into history. A DFA would almost certainly kill off the greatest warrior in the Inner Sphere. It would also finally give this thread the successful DFA that it has needed since forever.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Shoot what you can without loving your heat and leg it!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

KnoxZone posted:

This is the turn where you DFA Yorinaga Kurita and go down into history. A DFA would almost certainly kill off the greatest warrior in the Inner Sphere. It would also finally give this thread the successful DFA that it has needed since forever.

That would be an interesting way to commit suicide, but I suggest legging it.

Edit: And put in a contingency for torso twisting to shoot that fat bastard Jenner pilot if he keeps trying to shoot you in the rear end on your way out.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 2, 2012

TheWolfen
Nov 4, 2009
That could have gone better, or a helll of a lot worse! :)

Like the quick-thinking fluff to cover for all the limb-shooting.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Good try - bad luck with where those shots landed, but that's Battletech. Time to book like a motherfucker.

P3 MASC runs to 1224. Good counter move, escapes LOS for a turn. Not an ideal spot but there's nowhere else to go right now.

Expected counter moves:
Y1 holds position, waits for P3 to commit.
B moves to 0821 - likely end destination is 2027 in 3 turns time to fire down the road and try to intercept.
S3 will probably move to 0123 and move south through the building next turn - intent on forcing P3 to either shift east towards B or to get back shots when P3 confronts Y1.
S1 is probably moving up to prevent backtracking while the rest of the trap closes. Don't think it's in range to play any other sort of role in this.

e: Estimating 4 turns to P3's escape, 3 if you take the riskiest way.

Tempest_56 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 2, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I really like that Stormcrow a lot.

Also I am hugely :wtc: to see that there is a Kurita with my Grandfather's stereotypically "old Irish man" name....

BattleMaster posted:

One of the Royals has it as standard, and Theodore Kurita uses one as his command vehicle during the War of 3039. The pilot is in this scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
What did the critical doooo

I say DFA Yoringa, but everybody else is saying it too.

• Locked thread