Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Pladdicus posted:

Is there any turnbased game that is in tone with the Battletech series, preferable something with a campaign and decent AI?

Really want to get my mech strategy on, plus it'd be a nice warm up for the thread.

MissionForce: Cyberstorm and its sequels, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

TildeATH posted:

It wasn't the mechs, it was the poses. They made the Phoenix Hawk look like a Transformer. You'll pardon me for thinking that the dynamics of giant robot combat in Battletech has a distinctive feel that is extremely different from that found in anime, and that it's alright for someone to prefer the former to the latter.

And yes, everyone knows that the original lineup came from anime. Everyone. Except for those of us who know that the animes secretly stole them from Bolo.

Oh, the POSES are dumb, mos def, they do not fit the tone or aesthetic at all. Not even arguing that. I just kinda dislike the persistent 'hurf durf haet anime' sentiment I always see cropping up in Battletech communities, since I kinda like both varieties of giant kickass robots. Truce?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Pladdicus posted:

Is there any turnbased game that is in tone with the Battletech series, preferable something with a campaign and decent AI?

Really want to get my mech strategy on, plus it'd be a nice warm up for the thread.

No, and there really should be. I still think if someone could take MegaMek, give it a graphical overhaul (think 3/4 isometric with 3d modeled units) and come up with AI so you could play it singleplayer in a campaign setting that it would sell like loving hotcakes.

Agent Interrobang posted:

Oh, the POSES are dumb, mos def, they do not fit the tone or aesthetic at all. Not even arguing that. I just kinda dislike the persistent 'hurf durf haet anime' sentiment I always see cropping up in Battletech communities, since I kinda like both varieties of giant kickass robots. Truce?

There's seriously like a Giant Robot Continuum:

<--BattleTech-----------Real Robots------------------Giant Robots--->

They're all cool, all have their place, and you can enjoy more than one as long as you can keep them separate (IMO of course). :cheers:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 22, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Pladdicus posted:

Is it...is it a sedan or something? :confused:

It's a Star League design that really did not make the transition to 'we don't know how to make this work!!!'-era technology very well.

Heaped onto a scout 'Mech that, even during the Star League era, wasn't very well armored.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Tarquinn posted:

MissionForce: Cyberstorm and its sequels, maybe.

Yes! That was JUST the series I was trying to remember. Thank you. I think the world could really use a new one though.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Agent Interrobang posted:

I suppose you're allowed to have your own preference... Just don't expect to get one of these hand-made Behemoth Christmas cards that I'm reserving for BT fans who don't like anime.

I like the Behemoth. PTN, is that enough justification for my getting one?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

TildeATH posted:

I suppose you're allowed to have your own preference... Just don't expect to get one of these hand-made Behemoth Christmas cards that I'm reserving for BT fans who don't like anime.

Holdin' out for a Barghest card. :colbert:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

WarLocke posted:

Holdin' out for a Barghest card. :colbert:

You know what I like the most about four-legged mechs?

Absolutely nothing.

See, I don't just hate the animes, I also hate four-legged mechs. And the post-4th Succession War edition of Wolf's Dragoons. And the Word of Blake. And ponies.

I hate ponies the most.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

WarLocke posted:

No I'm talking about the original 3025 ones (specifically the Unseen). The Warhammer is directly out of Macross but it looks anything but 'anime' IMO. But then again there's the Stinger/Wasp, Phoenix Hawk, Crusader... yeah.

The original BattleDroids featured *only* anime mechs (virtually all from macross except the shadow hawk and griffin from dougram). Hell, it even had plastic resin models kits as some of the game pieces.

Pladdicus posted:

Yes! That was JUST the series I was trying to remember. Thank you. I think the world could really use a new one though.

Honestly one of my favorite games. I have a VM with windows 2k installed just to play this. It's the best turn based mech sim I've ever encountered and I wish they'd make something like this for battletech (megamek comes close but the AI isn't all that hot and it only does battles, not a whole campaign).

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I'd love to be a mechwarrior, but I have problems following LPs with regularity sometimes, and is currently ridiculously busy. My inability to join in as a pilot makes me a terribly sad porpoise.

Despite loving being sponsored by the Highlanders in MW4: Mercs, I love the Federated Suns, and think having some freedom would be good. The Kell Hounds definitely have my vote.

Good luck, pilots! :)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

TildeATH posted:

You know what I like the most about four-legged mechs?

Absolutely nothing.

See, I don't just hate the animes, I also hate four-legged mechs. And the post-4th Succession War edition of Wolf's Dragoons. And the Word of Blake. And ponies.

I hate ponies the most.

You, I like.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I remember there being a project to make a 3D version of the board game (so basically a 3D MegaMek) but I think it fell apart.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Added to the main page:

Rule Omega Corollary:
Discussions about 'Mechs is fine. Multiple-page derailments about how much you hate a specific art style chosen by some editor ten years ago isn't. If you have to pretend that all Battlemechs you don't like look like Wall-E in order to get to sleep at night, do it, but we don't need to hear about it.

In other words: It's just art from a game about giant robots killing each other. Talking about it too much is just a distraction from giant robots killing each other.

Since you guys seem a bit bored, help me pick an era-appropriate command 'Mech for a lance of medium-weight Kell Hounds (Specifically, a lance that can act as either scouts or scout-hunters, so expect at least one light 'mech).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 22, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Since you guys seem a bit bored, help me pick an era-appropriate command 'Mech for a lance of medium-weight Kell Hounds.

What kind of lance? And does the command mech need to be a medium as well? If so I've always been a fan of the Griffin.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

There's seriously like a Giant Robot Continuum:

<--BattleTech-----------Real Robots------------------Giant Robots--->

They're all cool, all have their place, and you can enjoy more than one as long as you can keep them separate (IMO of course). :cheers:

drat straight, pal-o-mine. :cheers:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Added to the main page:

Rule Omega Corollary:
Discussions about 'Mechs is fine. Multiple-page derailments about how much you hate a specific art style chosen by some editor ten years ago isn't. If you have to pretend that all Battlemechs you don't like look like Wall-E in order to get to sleep at night, do it, but we don't need to hear about it.

In other words: It's just art from a game about giant robots killing each other. Talking about it too much is just a distraction from giant robots killing each other.

Thank you. Can't we all just get along? (Well, obviously the Successor States and Clans and Comstar can't. Otherwise this would be a very boring game.)

Also, seconding the Griffin. It's a neat little bruiser!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
For those of you who are knowledge in the series and mechs, could you list a few choice for us loosely initiated to vote on?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Added to the main page:

Rule Omega Corollary:

Since you guys seem a bit bored, help me pick an era-appropriate command 'Mech for a lance of medium-weight Kell Hounds (Specifically, a lance that can act as either scouts or scout-hunters, so expect at least one light 'mech).

That was nessary since that is an old arguement that has no real resolution, but i would have to say the lead mech being a http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Trebuchet if that is in the time period, i believe it is but i'm a bit dodgy with the dates.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

PoptartsNinja posted:

you guys seem a bit bored, help me pick an era-appropriate command 'Mech for a lance of medium-weight Kell Hounds (Specifically, a lance that can act as either scouts or scout-hunters, so expect at least one light 'mech).

Can't go wrong with a Shadow Hawk. It's deliciously classic and classically horrible. It can attack from all ranges (equally bad).

I'd use it. :)

Also a Shadow Hawk killed Grayson Death's father.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

PoptartsNinja posted:

Added to the main page:

Rule Omega Corollary:

I think a Wolverine would fit the description.

Fluff wise they're described as "often deployed in recon lances" and it's on the cover of the kell hounds book because it's what Salome Ward piloted.
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/21/24/a07ac060ada049912bc0d110.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 22, 2011

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

For those of you who are knowledge in the series and mechs, could you list a few choice for us loosely initiated to vote on?

For light mechs: the Jenner is arguably the go-to 'badass scout mech' in the Inner Sphere: it mounts a substantial armament for it's weight of 4 medium lasers and a 4-shot Short Range Missile launcher. The Panther is also in that general weight class: while MUCH slower, it's more heavily armed and armored, with a PPC and the same SRM-4 as the Jenner.

For medium mechs: the Whitworth is a solid long-range contender, with a pair of LRM-10s, 3 medium lasers, and jumpjets to boost mobility over the relatively lackluster ground speed it has. The Hatchetman is similarly slow but mounts a big beefy AC-10, and carries a, well, hatchet for use in close combat, which might count for something. The Crab is a solidly-armored laserboat with two large, one medium, and one small laser, and maintains a respectable 86 kph top speed.

And I'm sure others can elaborate on their favorites.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

Some totally-not-biased options (on the assumption that this is not a 'heavy command mech with mediums' lance):

Centurion
Dervish
Enforcer
Griffin
Hunchback
Shadow Hawk
Trebuchet
Whitworth

I'm a big fan of the Enforcer, but the Griffin might work better for a commander who wants to hang back and direct battles.

Edit: If we end up going with the Kell Hounds an Enforcer would be pretty appropriate since a large portion of the Federate Suns Armed Forces uses that chassis. Or the Centurion makes for a pretty well-rounded mech that can be a danger at any range while still being relatively tough for its weight (also looks badass).

Edit 2: Comedy Yen-Lo-Wang option. :v:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 22, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Out of that list, I'm going to go with the Shadow Hawk based purely on the fact that the design's cool.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
4/6's are probably out unless they're packing some hefty long-range firepower for shooting locusts in the back. Also, I want to avoid the Hatchetman for now--it won't get close enough to hit a good light 'Mech with that hatchet anyway.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Throwing in my vote for Trebuchet or Griffin then.

On a side question, can you poptart in this game? Is that in the mechanics?

IE using jumpjets to pop out from a mountain and shoot before safely dropping behind cover to reload heatsinks.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

4/6's are probably out unless they're packing some hefty long-range firepower for shooting locusts in the back. Also, I want to avoid the Hatchetman for now--it won't get close enough to hit a good light 'Mech with that hatchet anyway.

In this case I'm definitely going to suggest a Griffin. 5/8/5 is a little slow for a scout but it can jump, and with a PPC and LRM-10 it can act as light fire support while directing the rest of the lance. It's also on the upper end of the scale for mediums and armored appropriately.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Out of that list, I'm going to go with the Shadow Hawk based purely on the fact that the design's cool.

The Shadow Hawk looks cool but mechanically it's poo poo. I mean it's got a weapon for every range but they're all some of the lightest/worst ones of each type. :saddowns:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 22, 2011

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Tarquinn posted:

Can't go wrong with a Shadow Hawk. It's deliciously classic and classically horrible. It can attack from all ranges (equally bad).

The truly sad thing about the Shadow Hawk is how close it is to actually being decent. Replace the AC/5 with an energy weapon (PPC/Large Laser), possibly bump up the size of the LRM rack, and you're done. Or you could go with an AC/2 and LRM-15 instead, and make it a dedicated long range support machine.

The basic SHD-2H is oversinked and undergunned, and the variants aren't much better.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Lets face it is best in defensive city/canyon terrian where it can surprise and get in close without being whittled down by enemy long range fire.

For medium mechs and command mechs, I usually like long range heavy hitters, and for the IS at this time the trebuchet is a dependable if ammo light choice. :)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Pladdicus posted:

IE using jumpjets to pop out from a mountain and shoot before safely dropping behind cover to reload heatsinks.

No. (Un)Fortunately not.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Pladdicus posted:

Shooting phase happens after movement.

Axe-man posted:

Lets face it is best in defensive city/canyon terrian where it can surprise and get in close without being whittled down by enemy long range fire.

For medium mechs and command mechs, I usually like long range heavy hitters, and for the IS at this time the trebuchet is a dependable if ammo light choice. :)

A dervish would be better than a trebuchet. I still think wolverine is the best choice, screw the griffin and it's heat issues.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 22, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Drat, one of my (least) favorite strategies in the actiony mech games foiled (un)fortunately already.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
drat, I go to sleep at the wrong time and lose my chance to get in as a Mech pilot. Alas.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

What the crap

Sarna.net posted:

Armaments

The Yen-Lo-Wang was originally armed with an Autocannon/20 in place of the Centurion's Autocannon/10, two Medium Lasers and either a Hatchet or a Claw.

Later on, Hanse Davion had Kai Allard-Liao's 'Mech upgraded with a Gauss Rifle in place of the Autocannon/20, three Medium Pulse Lasers and TSM. Presumably sometimes in the 32nd century, the ancient 'Mech was refitted with a Heavy Large Laser, an LRM-20 with Artemis IV, a Hatchet, and a Shield, which was piloted by Danai Liao-Centrella.

So I guess Dark Age didn't give a poo poo about tonnage limitations, eh?

Edit: Changing my vote for 'mech to a Trebuchet. For some reason I was thinking it was a 4/6/0. And it's a better choice for fire support than a Griffin overall.

Longinus00 posted:

A dervish would be better than a trebuchet.

Why do you say that? A Trebuchet carries 50% more missile throw weight and an extra laser in exchange for 4 SRMs...

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 22, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There'll be plenty of opportunities. I'll add you to the list.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

WarLocke posted:

What the crap

So I guess Dark Age didn't give a poo poo about tonnage limitations, eh?

Edit: Changing my vote for 'mech to a Trebuchet. For some reason I was thinking it was a 4/6/0. And it's a better choice for fire support than a Griffin overall.

The Trenchbucket is only 5/8, compared to the Griffin at 5/8/5, and the 'Bucket runs out of ammo at the drop of a hat. The Griffin is a far better commander's machine.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a Star League design that really did not make the transition to 'we don't know how to make this work!!!'-era technology very well.

Heaped onto a scout 'Mech that, even during the Star League era, wasn't very well armored.

...HUSSAR!

Hell yes! God I have so many good memories of those things, even if they're laughably fragile.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

A dervish would be better than a trebuchet. I still think wolverine is the best choice, screw the griffin and it's heat issues.

if i remember correctly, obviously i don't have the full tech read out, the trebuchet, while it lacks jumpjets, has more armor.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tempest_56 posted:

...HUSSAR!

First OpFor casualty spotted.

Axe-man posted:

if i remember correctly, obviously i don't have the full tech read out, the trebuchet, while it lacks jumpjets, has more armor.

Yeah I think the decision (if we're looking for a 'stand back with fire support' leader type) is between the Trebuchet (not as maneuverable, less ammo, bigger punch while it has ammo) and the Griffin (not as much of a punch, but the PPC is ammo-less and it has jump jets). I think those two designs are roughly equal armor-wise (Trebuchet might have a little less due to weight difference and maximum armor values, but it's pretty much max for its weight if memory serves).

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 22, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

WarLocke posted:

Why do you say that? A Trebuchet carries 50% more missile throw weight and an extra laser in exchange for 4 SRMs...

Dervish has 50% more salvos as a tradeoff from lrm 15s to 10s. It is also much more mobile as a 5/8/5.

Axe-man posted:

Same total armor (7.5 tons). Dervish has more side L/R torso armor while the trebuchet has more center armor.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 22, 2011

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Really six pages in six hours, not that it matters any more considering the choice I would have made based purely off the opening posts is so far ahead, though I have no experience at all with Battletech before now signing up to participate seems like a good idea

just to make it clear again sign me up

Rumda fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Let's be clear, guys, and approach this reasonably rationally.

Needs: Decent speed (80+ km/h running) to keep up with scouts
Long range armament
Good armor protection

Wants: Jump jets
Badassery

Those three "needs" pretty thoroughly eliminate most contenders. Of those remaining, as stated earlier, I think the Griffin GRF-1N is the best idea. It has long range weaponry, good movement, good armor, and doesn't look TOO stupid. The Dervish and the Trebuchet also work with those criteria but are significantly less armored which is a BAD thing if we're putting a lance commander inside.

I say go Griffin.

• Locked thread