Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Trast posted:

Just so I am clear on thing I will ask. Interdiction by Comstar cuts off all real time communication, correct? And that is considered one of the most important factors in BT's universe for being able to maintain their empires and campaigns, yes? I wonder what fiendish way PTN would enforce such a black out on the players. :ohdear:

Hyper-Pulse Generators are the only means of communication even approaching real-time. Without them you're down to doing a glorified pony-express type thing with jumpships and dropships. A jump is virtually instantaneous but can take up to a week to save up the solar power for. Then you either spend 3-4 days burning the dropship to the planet and back or you just beam limited-band radio at the planet from the jump point (which are typically above or below the star in question, nowhere near the planets orbiting it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Voting A because in Hanse's world, why assault worlds when you can :smug: the Dracs into retardedly walking into your guns and come out looking like the injured party.

And does anybody else think we're going to see Star Captains Grayson and Lori Widowmaker? Natasha always seemed to appreciate people capable of :black101:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Arglebargle III posted:

Fixed for :black101:

A more realistic scenario:

Natasha walks in on Joanna and Marthe in a hot tub. Jealousy flares up, and the matter is taken before the Jade Falcon Clan Council, who decree a trial by combat. Joanna defeats Natasha, who promptly declares a Trial of Refusal to contest the decision. A dozen smoking 'mech corpses later, Strike Galaxy Alpha is activated to deploy to the Lyran front. Marthe, in despair and rage at these events, declares a Rite of Possession to prevent her lovers' mechs' deployment. After another dozen mechs are destroyed, Marthe wins her Trial of Possession. Then Clan Wolf hears about a sweet hot tub party and promptly invades.

Hot tubs: 1
Lesbians: 3
Rounds of ammunition expended: 84,391
Total tonnage of destroyed/disabled battlemechs: 466
Sex scenes: 0
Battles: at least 4

What about the salvage?

Also voting A.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Longinus00 posted:

But seriously, are there any gay characters in battletech?

I don't know of any canon ones, but I'm sure there are.

Veyrall posted:

I vote for Option E: Invade everyone. The Combine, the Capellans, the Lyrans, the Free Worlds, the Clans, Comstar, everyone. Hell, we should invade ourselves so that our citizens don't feel left out. I have a good feeling about this plan! The Federated Suns will unite the stars!

We have the military for that right?

He's a Fox, not an Omnicidal Maniac. :P

Agent Interrobang posted:

It occurs to me that a lot of Clanners are likely gay or lesbian; their society actively discourages natural birth and breeding practices in favor of eugenics. At least within the Warrior Caste, that seems like a very naturally conducive environment for homosexuality.

...drat it, brain, stop picturing Joanna and Marthe Pryde making out.

Doesn't Warrior Clan society more go out of its way to discourage love and other emotional attachments including sex more than discouraging sex itself?

Besides, the Warriors aren't segregated by gender, so situational homosexuality wouldn't have a chance to come up. I imagine that the Warrior Caste has the same percentage of homosexuality as all other humans.

But there's no real reason to tell your brain to stop picturing Joanna and Marthe making out. In fact, why not tell your ArtBitches to picture that, too? :)

TildeATH posted:

That shouldn't stop our pilots from actively promoting the opposite... on the com channels... during the fight.

Remember that "trash talk" is the same as a verbal "Beam Fire at Will III." If you want to catch aggro from everyone, go for it and call those Clanners every filthy word for being homosexual you can think up including those you made up on the spot.

It's fun watching a T1 IS mech catching a full Star's worth of painDwarven Fun at once.

It does, but that's likely because all the writers are straight dudes. Thinking about it from a sociological standpoint, however, eugenics + discouragement of natural breeding + severe social stigma against children born naturally + total lack of marriage = homosexuality is going to happen a LOT.

I really have to disagree with this. First off, there's no indication that homosexuality is or is not a genetic trait, so the eugenics would have no effect on it. While Clan society discourages natural breeding a lot, that's not going to change the fact that while their brains may be telling them "free births are wrong," their bodies are going to be telling them "gently caress! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!"

If anything, it would seem to me that the Clans would develop really, really advanced birth control.

Besides, as a straight dude, I love writing about lesbians. More likely the editors are all :ohdear: about anything remotely resembling endorsing homosexuality making it into print because they're afraid that BTech players are all conservative chicken-hawks who would screech and fuss and fling poo poo everywhere and NEVAR BUY ANOTHER BTECH BOOK AGAIN OHNOES and get the moral guardians involved in stirring up the moral panic.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
You really hate the GDL, PoptartsNinja, don't you? :smith:

Why?

Anyway, voting B because it sounds like the most fun.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tarquinn posted:

You really hate the GDL, PoptartsNinja, don't you? :smith:

Why?

Anyway, voting B because it sounds like the most fun.

Speaking personally, their thing was getting in to huge jams and then Grayson coming up with a sweet plan to save the day. After the second time it should not have been "awesome job sir!" it should have been "Grayson why the gently caress do you keep getting us into these situations?"

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Speaking personally, their thing was getting in to huge jams and then Grayson coming up with a sweet plan to save the day. After the second time it should not have been "awesome job sir!" it should have been "Grayson why the gently caress do you keep getting us into these situations?"

You could say that about half the unit commanders in canon, though.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Among the Clans, I think there may be even a cultural bias toward being bisexual, or at the very least homosexuality being widely accepted or just observed, since love is discouraged to say the least, and it is just seen as pleasure, then there would be few stigmas to that in context at least.

In the Inner Sphere, I think there would be more focus on the nobles being either married or having children to ensure the line continues, but as most royal families it would be more focused toward the political alliance of the marriage rather than any emotional connection.

Since that isn't the way it is written either due to editorial or writer viewpoint/bias we can only assume that it is in the background or that the characters that are closeted.

So now we can all speculate who is closeted :3:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

Guess what happens in the last book where Grayson dies from cancer and other people take over the GDL?

Most satisfying book in the whole series in many, many ways.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Axe-man posted:

So now we can all speculate who is closeted :3:

Galen totally had a mancrush on Victor. The only question is which team Vic batted for. :swoon:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

Galen totally had a mancrush on Victor. The only question is which team Vic batted for. :swoon:

they are the best of friends :dance:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Everybody posted:

No gay clanners!

Aw. :(

No, but seriously, this is starting to get mildly creepy-derail-tastic, so let's move on. I'm pretty much with Defiance Industries on this one, the Gray Death Legion kind of has a history of 'get completely screwed accidentally; somehow make it out okay due to Grayson Carlyle having plot powers.' It's no surprise they got splattered against the Widowmakers.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Aw. :(

No, but seriously, this is starting to get mildly creepy-derail-tastic, so let's move on. I'm pretty much with Defiance Industries on this one, the Gray Death Legion kind of has a history of 'get completely screwed accidentally; somehow make it out okay due to Grayson Carlyle having plot powers.' It's no surprise they got splattered against the Widowmakers.

It was mildly creepy like a page ago. It got LESS creepy when they started talking about manlove.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Felime posted:

It was mildly creepy like a page ago. It got LESS creepy when they started talking about manlove.

Time for a :wtc: story then. I swear this is true.

When I was in high school I tried introducing some of my (nerdier) friends to BattleTech. One of them seriously (as far as I could tell anyway) suggested that mechs should have a hydraulic ram installed below and in front of the pilot's seat so when he mech is hit he gets his balls quashed.

:ughh:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

:what:

Maturity, thy name is high school.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Political Update Results & Second Vote:

Takashi Kurita sat, legs crossed, his body stiff and proud, hands hovering before his hara, his belly, that place where all true decisions were made. His staff sat in silence, waiting; the holotank in the center of the room dead silent.

Theodore coughed, and received several dark glances for his trouble. Nearly an hour had passed since Julien Tiepolo’s message to the combine had ended. Finally, Takashi spoke to his assembled generals.

“Thoughts—”

Sho-sho Oda Hideyoshi spoke out of turn, “—seeks to cripple our war with Hanse Davion! The Fox must be in more trouble than we expected, we should redouble our efforts—”

Theodore Kurita coughed again, and Takashi glowered at him. Soft footsteps came from the side, Takashi didn’t need to look to know it was his spymaster, Subhash Indrahar, “The Smiling One”. Subhash dropped to his knees in a low bow, then straightened. Takashi felt his palms grow clammy, crushed his physical reactions under the hard steel veneer of the samurai.

He nodded silently at the Smiling One.

“House Davion’s forces have broken contact with our troops,” Subhash began, “But have not withdrawn from the occupied worlds. He likely seeks to goad us into overextending ourselves.”

“We should attack at once!” Sho-sho Hideyoshi demanded, pounding his fist on the tatami.

“Hanse Davion will bide his time,” Theodore Kurita said quietly, his voice all the more powerful for not being raised. Takashi was silently impressed with his son’s temerity, he was here only as an observer. “He cannot attack, or risk interdiction, but he can draw our forces into attacking and let them do the work for him. Our troops on contested worlds should be ordered to stand down. Hanse Davion’s soldiers will grow impatient, attack, and cost him the whole of the invasion.” He held out his hands, it was an intellectual choice—not the choice of a samurai, but Takashi could see the wisdom nonetheless. “In the interim, we can see how these Clans fare against a real regiment instead of a scattered company or rear-line garrison lance and a few pitiable Com Star warriors.”

Takashi made one of those neutral sounds that were all too easily mistaken for assent in Japanese. Subhash gave Theodore a subtle nod, regarding the young man with eyes that had always before been dismissive, but this time were not. “We have a grave task, to help ComStar recover their Precentor Deiron. They have been loyal subjects to the true First Lord of the Star League, is it not our giri—”

“I have decided,” Takashi announced suddenly, and the room fell silent. He was certain of his choice. “We shall let Hanse Davion outfox himself. Order our troops to stillness, they are not to fire unless they have proof The Davion’s troops fire upon them.” He looked at another of his generals, a dark-skinned Arkab. “Send all but two of the Arkab regiments to battle these Clans. I would see how they fare against real warriors.”

“I don’t like this,” Desmond hissed quietly into his microphone. They’d drawn patrol duty again, under the explicit orders not to fire on any DCMS troops. Still short St. Croix’ Vulcan, the short lance of three ‘Mechs was still more than a match for a Drac scout lance—provided they weren’t supported by a heavy.

This one contained nothing but, including the terrifying shape of a Grand Dragon. Lt. Barnes was on the horn with command, the two lances has come out of the forests nearly on top of each other. They stood, immobile, staring at each other across less than a fifty meter gap, and had been doing so for over ten minutes.

Neither side fired a shot, but Desmond thought both looked as though they wanted to.

Lt. Barnes’ Griffin stepped forward, presumably under orders. Three autocannons and a PPC trained on his ‘Mech. He stopped, a ‘Mech’s height in front of the rest of the lance and, in a display of piloting that must’ve taken great effort for someone who was all-around bad at it, dropped his Griffin into a respectful bow. Desmond could hear Yoshita suck air through his teeth—the comms were surprisingly clear without St. Croix’s Vulcan acting as a hub. Absently, Desmond resolved to suggest that the astechs check out her comm. system; then promptly forgot the resolution.

The Grand Dragon bowed as well, a much smoother motion. Lt. Barnes turned his back on the Kuritans, and walked back into the forests; calling for his lance to do the same. Yoshita did so without hesitation. Desmond cringed, and turned, expecting to feel the impact of forty-odd LRMs or a PPC carve into his back armor.

The shots never came.

Vote 2

2nd Donegal Guards
Presently stationed on Somerset and several other nearby worlds, the 2nd Donegal Guards is an ordinary Lyran unit noted only for the presence of the young troublemaker Major Caeser Steiner on its command staff.

Miller’s Marauders
An elite unit convinced of the superiority of the Marauder battlemech, the two Battalions of Miller’s Marauders fields nothing but Marauders in their various forms. Currently stationed on Trell I to discourage Kurita aggression, the Marauders are in a perfect position to resist Clan Widowmaker’s assault.

Com Guards
As before, the Com Guards are the only group to provide ‘real’ resistance to the Goliath Scorpion advance. As before, they will almost certainly fail.

6th Arkab Legion
Under orders from Takashi Kurita himself, the Arkab Legions have mobilized and stand ready to resist the second wave invasion of Clan Hell’s Horses or, if no invasion occurs, to push and retake the worlds they currently hold.

1st Fusiliers of Oriente
With the expected Marik civil war ending on the death of Thomas Marik, the Free Worlds League has been united in spirit by the Capellan assault. The 1st Fusiliers are pushing hard on Liao space, hoping to take some territory and draw a few Capellan regiments from the front lines in Oriente.

17th Recon
Responsible for a counter-attack that’s threatening to cut the Capellan supply lines, the 17th recon is holding a world that forces the Capellans to make an extra jump. Their presence has stalled the Death Commando assault through the Oriente province.

Death Commandos
Frustrated by their delay, a full Battalion of the Death Commandos has been recalled to assault the 17th Recon and relieve the threat to their supply lines while the bulk of the Commandos press their assault on Oriente.

Voting is Open for:
A) 2nd Donegal Guards
B) Miller’s Marauders
C) Com Guards
D) 6th Arkab Legion
E) 1st Fusiliers of Oriente
F) 17th Recon Regiment “Camacho’s Caballeros”
G) Death Commandos

No pros/cons ‘cause I really need to leave for work like, five minutes ago. >_>

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 9, 2013

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Re: Kurita: "Clever girl."

Voting F: 17th Recon, Camacho's Caballeros. Why? Because they're awesome, and I think letting more rumors about the Clans' invincibility will make our inevitable fight against them even more fun.

And because Camacho's Caballeros are AWESOME. And fighting Liao fanatics is also AWESOME.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

What Muk said. Camacho's Caballeros all the way! Those Capellan pendejos shall feel the mighty sting of our kickin' rad guitar!

cookieman
Jan 19, 2009
C so we can have some of our guys go out in blaze of glory while being completely ineffective.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
B) Miller’s Marauders

Clan Widowmaker sounds like a bunch of pussies that needs their asses handed to them ASAP.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

Voting F: 17th Recon, Camacho's Caballeros. Why? Because they're awesome, and I think letting more rumors about the Clans' invincibility will make our inevitable fight against them even more fun.

And because Camacho's Caballeros are AWESOME. And fighting Liao fanatics is also AWESOME.

Thirding this. :iia:

Serril
Dec 31, 2007

Mort Fun Time
Voting F because these guys sounds awesome.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

F. Much as I like the Arkab Legion and the Marauders, the 17th is too awesome to pass up.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Serril posted:

Voting F because these guys sounds awesome.

AI pretty much hit the nail on the head above. If you had to choose one movie that 'fit' for the Caballeros, Desperado would pretty much be it. They're that drat awesome and over-the-top. :ese:

(If not that good at actually shooting...)

Plus all the units lined up in front of the Clans are gonna get stomped loving flat. I mean, Miller's Marauders? Fuckin' please...

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

B) Miller's Marauders

I love me some Marauders.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
B, Miller's Marauders.

I have a soft spot for them, and any engagement against the Widowmakers is sure to be instructive, if only insofar as 'why heavier is not always better'.

I am morally opposed to the Caballeros in any era because Cassie Norris Suthorn and her Anti-Mech broomstick annoy the hell out of me.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

raverrn posted:

B) Miller's Marauders

I love me some Marauders.

I like Marauders too, but having your entire unit consisting of 4/6/0 (or slower - do Marauder IIs exist yet?) mechs with no jumping capability is rather... not a good composition against the Clans.

The Merry Marauder posted:

I am morally opposed to the Caballeros in any era because Cassie Norris Suthorn and her Anti-Mech broomstick annoy the hell out of me.

None of the Cassie stuff has/can happen yet, as PTN mentioned earlier she's 2 years old at this point. So the Caballeros are awesome in their own right without any Suthorn crap. :colbert:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 2, 2011

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

WarLocke posted:

I like Marauders too, but having your entire unit consisting of 4/6/0 (or slower - do Marauder IIs exist yet?) mechs with no jumping capability is rather... not a good composition against the Clans.

This is why it would be instructive. Although perhaps the Marauders use a few of the less terrible variants that don't explode if you Alpha strike.

WarLocke posted:

None of the Cassie stuff has/can happen yet, as PTN mentioned earlier she's 2 years old at this point. So the Caballeros are awesome in their own right without any Suthorn crap. :colbert:

Oh, so she'll only smother a squad or two of Death Commandos with her stuffed animals? Poor Caballeros are tainted in any era.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Voting G. Let us wipe the Caballeros from the face of the IS!

Yeah, I said it. :colbert:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
So wait, you want to neglect an awesome mercenary unit fighting interesting enemies because in the canon timeline they had a Mary Sue... and... you were okay with us playing the Kell Hounds? :monocle:

Besides, there's really no need to dive right into the clans. There will be plenty of time for us to get our asses whipped by Clanners. Who knows if the FWL and Capellans will keep fighting once the scale of the Clan invasion is widely known?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

I'm going to vote G Mainly because I'd like to see how Poptarts writes the death's commandos

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

So wait, you want to neglect an awesome mercenary unit fighting interesting enemies because in the canon timeline they had a Mary Sue... and... you were okay with us playing the Kell Hounds? :monocle:

Besides, there's really no need to dive right into the clans. There will be plenty of time for us to get our asses whipped by Clanners. Who knows if the FWL and Capellans will keep fighting once the scale of the Clan invasion is widely known?

I didn't vote for the Kell Hounds, but at least Morgan Kell has the dignity to do his awesoming off camera most of the time. Personally, I don't find the Death Commandos terribly interesting as opponents, given that 'faceless fanatic elites' are not rare in the universe.

And why wouldn't the FWL and CC keep fighting? What do they care if the LC and DC get eaten? Although, it might be interesting to see how much cooperation/aid ComStar will be able to bludgeon out of them with threats of interdiction.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 2, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Liao is interesting enemy, I am changing my support: Death Commandos

those crazy mofos are hilarious and with the government bieng an insane dictorship it is all good

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Ah fuckit 17th Recon!

How many mechs will they get next battle? Cause, if they get 5 or more, I may be a pilot! Hence my vote should count double or soemthing.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

KnoxZone posted:

No one else seems to like the Combine besides me, so instead of voting there, I'm going to vote for Space-China instead. G

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
B - Miller's Marauders because he's right.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
G. I'd like the see how the black hats do for once.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Axe-man posted:

Liao is interesting enemy, I am changing my support: Death Commandos

those crazy mofos are hilarious and with the government bieng an insane dictorship it is all good

I'm sold. Death Commandos for me.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

I'm torn between the Caballeros and the Death Commandos, but I'm going to go with the others in voting G. It's good to be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Voting for Miller's Marauders because my last name is Miller and I love Marauders :colbert:

• Locked thread