Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Defiance Industries posted:

The fact the new RWR arose on the Marik border, not on the Steiner worlds that used to make up the RWR, means that where Kerensky failed, the LCAF succeeded.

SUCK IT KERENSKY.

I agree with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Combat Theater Vote 9 Results:

Fight Fans, Solaris VII beats the odds with 50 votes!
The Ryuken show their stuff with 49 votes!
Star League? The Praetorian Guards don’t give a drat about your Star League at 14 votes!
7 votes mirror the 3rd Syrtis Fusiliers’ unspectacular performance.
MacGregor’s Armored Scouts don’t even find the battlefield with only 2 votes…

Factory Semi-Finals!
“Aaaaand… we’re live!”

“Good evening, fight fans!” a swarthy man with a vibrant baritone said immediately as he smiled warmly at the holocameras. “I’m Cal Jeager, and joining me this evening is the current champion of the medium-weight solo-circuit—Duncan Fisher.”

Tipping his head, the young pilot offered a friendly grin. “Pleasure to be here tonight, Cal. This is shaping up to be quite a fight.”

“Quite a fight indeed! It’s the last regular fight of the season here at the Factory, and the folks here in Montenegro have gone all-out for this dustup! Before we talk about that, what do you think of the competition this evening Duncan?”

“Well, House Steiner’s Overlord Stables are favored to win—they’ve got the funding, the skill, and this year? The equipment to pull off a major upset. Serge Axey’s been absolutely devastating the circuit this season, and the Silver Dragon Stables almost had to pull out of tonight’s qualifiers after he took apart Bakemono Yi last week. That fight could cost him tonight, though, it can’t be easy finding parts for an Axman here on Solaris!”

“You’re certainly right—for those of you tuning in the first time this season, well, you may want to pick up some of the ROMs for Serge’s fights: the Axman’s a new Lyran design so hush-hush it’s only ever been deployed against the Clans. Serge surprised Solaris by fielding one this season, and none of his opponents really seem to know how to cope with that monster!”

“Well, if anyone can,” Duncan cut in with a grin, “It’s Colonel Isadora Alvarez of the 18th Marik Militia—here on special leave to represent House Marik’s Bromley Stables in the semi-finals. It’s rare to get someone with real military experience here on the Game World, and I’d be interested to see how she does.”

“I’ll be interested as well,” Cal replied with a grin. “The Eighteenth’s reputation isn’t exactly stellar, but Colonel Alvarez is fighting for the pride of House Marik in their home stadium, so she’s bound to be a crowd favorite!”

“Well, she’d better watch out for Antonin Césaire of Tandrek Stables,” Duncan countered. “I’ve bumped into him more than once during my time on the medium circuit and he’s no pushover. Things have been tense here with so many of Césaire’s fans in the audience. Take care on the way home, folks—Liao nationals aren’t exactly welcome in Montenegro right now!”

“Césaire’s a total pro, it’s true,” Cal replied, “But he’s gotta be feeling the pressure. Taking a Centurion up against a group of heavies? He’s going to have to play smart, the odds aren’t exactly in his favor tonite.”

“The bookies still rank him higher than Silver Dragon’s Ken Hachiman, Cal. Still, with pros like Charles Boyington and Ngoc Binh on the field a last-minute replacement like Ken is going to have his work cut out for him. Neither of them has stepped outside of the box for this fight, they’re gearing up to slug it out with the other competitors—and both are well equipped to do it. I wouldn’t give Ken's Catapult good odds in the arena either, the Cat’s a great `Mech but it’s much better suited to the Steiner Coliseum or the Jungle.”

Cal turned, flashing his million c-bill smile, “Well, the Factory is all about give and take; and tonight’s no exception. What is exceptional are the amended arena rules: the folks here at the Factory really know how to shake things up, and they’ve added a decidedly Marik flair to an already tense matchup!”

“Shakeups are definitely interesting, but they can be really hard on the pilots on the field. I hear they’ve set up a team duel, rather than the typical free-for-all. How’s that going to work, Cal?”

“Well, in homage to the last Marik Civil War, every pilot’s been divided into two teams: but they have no idea which team they’ve been assigned until the starting bell; and every thirty seconds—or any time one of the competitors is defeated—the teams will be randomized.”

Duncan grinned, “Ooh, that’s going to be rough Cal. It’s hard enough to fight alongside people you’ve never met, but never knowing whether they’ll suddenly have a free and clear shot at your back in a match this important? I’m not sure we can expect to see a lot of teamwork tonight, Cal.”

“That’s Solaris for you—it’s all about seizing opportunities as presented. Speaking of opportunities, tonight’s broadcast is sponsored by Quikscell Company: because if you could afford better, you wouldn’t be shopping with us!”

The Map:

Overlord Stables (Steiner)
Odds: 1-2
AXM-1N Axman “Copper” – Serge Axey (g3p4) (magni)

Bromley Stables (Marik)
Odds: 1-1
GLT-4L Guillotine “The Fighting 18th” – Colonel Isadora Alvarez (g3p4) (GreyjoyBastard)

Skye Tigers Stables (Skye)
TDR-5SS Thunderbolt “Warhawk” – Charles Boyington (g3p4) (Longinus00)

Gemini Stables (Duchy of New Syrtis)
Odds: 6-5
MAD-3D Marauder “Danh Khan Huu” – Ngoc Binh (g3p4) (cafel)

Tandrek Stables (Liao)
Odds: 3-2
CN9-AL Centurion “Legionnaire” – Antonin Césaire (g3p4) (Felime)

Silver Dragon Stables (Kurita)
Odds: 2-1
CPLT-K2 Catapult “Kokuryuu” – Ken Hachiman (g3p4) (anakha)

Alternates, please stand by for an availability confirmation e-mail:
Sair
Pinguliten
Iridium
Rhobot Mk. II

Mission Objectives
Be the Last Man Standing!

New House Rules:
No Escape: The map is edged by solid walls. `Mechs may not be pushed, charged, or otherwise knocked out of the map.

Textured Ferrocrete: The floors of the factory were designed to be traversed by LoaderMechs, no skidding tests are required.

Low Ceiling Clearance: Designed for the passage of LoaderMechs, the Montenegro Factory has low ceilings (height 2) which render Jump Jets useless unless the floor directly above has collapsed. Even height 1 terrain is considered impassable by `Mechs, though it still functions as Partial Cover.

Ups and Downs: Players may travel up and down the levels of the map via the ramps (and holes in the floor) provided. Only `Mechs with jump jets can cross to higher levels via holes in the floor above.

PVP: This mission is Player vs. Player. I will have no `Mechs to control. That means players will want to be careful to include multiple shooting orders / contingency orders since everyone will be moving simultaneously. This mission is likely to be a clusterfuck, so if it turns out really poorly I may end it early and move on to our runner-up mission.

Team Deathmatch: The players will be divided into two even teams. Firing at a teammate results in immediate disqualification (firing at teammates is actually impossible and any orders to do so will be disregarded and cost the player a turn of fire, so don’t do it).

A Marik Twist: Whenever a player `Mech is eliminated or if three turns pass without an eliminated `Mech, the members of each team will be randomized. This will occur at the end of the phase to prevent any accidental friendly fire.

Stable Conditions: You are not required to take your full compliment of ammunition. Since this isn't a real battlefield situation and you're aware of your opposition in advance, you're allowed to take as much or as little ammunition for your ammo-based weapons as you think you can get away with.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 16, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

quote:

“Good evening, fight fans!” a swarthy man with a vibrant baritone said immediately as he smiled warmly at the holocameras. “I’m Cal Jeager, and joining me this evening is the current champion of the medium-weight solo-circuit—Duncan Fisher.”
You confirmed that E was the right choice by the time I made it to the second sentence.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
This is going to be so awesome. :allears:

Also, the "Ups and Downs" rule got cut off.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

:toot:

This looks like it is going to be good, do not dawdle players.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
This mission is going to be such a clusterfuck.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Only `Mechs with jump jets can

Can?! Can What?! Don't leave me hanging here PTN! I gotta know!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh my god this is the best mission.

And there's odds! We need to start taking bets! Hob, are you still around and game?

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Now that's what I call a Marik twist!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I bet a punch to the face ON felime.

(not for, On, derp)

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 15, 2012

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I kinda worry that this setup will favor whichever player sits at range 20 and stays out of the crosshairs.

Also wondering how the clusterfuck of initiative is going to work.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
What a beautiful mess.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Octatonic posted:

Can?! Can What?! Don't leave me hanging here PTN! I gotta know!

Go up through a hole in the floor that doesn't have a ramp associated with it. You can fall down holes freely, go up and down ramps freely, but need jets to fly up a hole.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

Simultaneous. As in, there isn't any. Everyone moves, everyone shoots--nobody gets reactionary moves so they've got to plan ahead.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
It's Solaris time! The initial team lineups could be key to determining who wins and who loses: Will there be focus fire in the alliances or will it be pairing off? Will we have some cunning pilot running and hiding, or would they be ferreted out for unsportsmanlike conduct and given a close-up on the low Factory ceiling? Tune in, folks, it's shaping up to be a real doozy!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Interesting to see the Large Pulse Laser introduce in this fight, probably won't be a super big factor if the opposition plays it right.

Also: That poor Centurion. So outgunned on this field. A shame too, cause it is a really fun mech.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Interesting, most of the mechs' are variant models. The Marauder is a pure energy platform and the Catapult traded Missiles for PPCs and Machineguns.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

Combat Theater Vote 9 Results:

Fight Fans, Solaris VII beats the odds with 50 votes!
The Ryuken show their stuff with 49 votes!
Star League? The Praetorian Guards don’t give a drat about your Star League at 14 votes!
7 votes mirror the 3rd Syrtis Fusiliers’ unspectacular performance.
MacGregor’s Armored Scouts don’t even find the battlefield with only 2 votes…

YES!

Also holy poo poo those rules and this map and holy poo poo

Seriously holy poo poo

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

KnoxZone posted:

I kinda worry that this setup will favor whichever player sits at range 20 and stays out of the crosshairs.

It appears as though players will give their movement and shooting orders at the same time - so they'll have to give multiple shooting orders, most of which are a best guess of who'll actually be in range.

A part of me says it'd make more sense to do the movement simultaneously then post the results and decide shooting, but that'd double the amount of time we'd spend waiting per turn, so I don't know how popular that'd be. On the other hand, giving orders all at once is going to result in some weird actions, especially if someone gives in poor contingencies (ending up firing on someone who ran away rather than a much juicier target right in front of them because they didn't predict where the enemy was going, for example, or maybe firing on the nearest enemy who isn't a threat rather than engaging the real danger because the nearest one had the best to-hit).

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Axeman's going to have a hell of a time getting his melee on, on he would if this map weren't such a cluster gently caress.

Query:

Mech A paths through hex X and mech B paths through hex X. Do they meet there?

I would definitely advocate a move order/shoot order cycle.

e: Maybe a rotating Ace system? Nah, that'd slow the game down.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

First off: Suck it, Ryuken! :v:

Secondly: This is the best gimmick. It might become a huge clusterfuck, but I think it'll be worth it for the sheer carnage.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

the JJ posted:

Mech A paths through hex X and mech B paths through hex X. Do they meet there?

Only if one of them stops in hex X, and even then I'd dice off to see who got there first.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Welp.

I guess this is my punishment for voting for NRWR instead of A. Time to be a sneaky Capellan I guess.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I am so screwed. :lol:

I was planning on soliciting a lot of feedback on movement/shooting options when my turn came up. Was definitely not expecting this.

Oh well, I got the lowest odds of winning this anyway. gently caress it. :black101:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

anakha posted:

I am so screwed. :lol:

I was planning on soliciting a lot of feedback on movement/shooting options when my turn came up. Was definitely not expecting this.

Oh well, I got the lowest odds of winning this anyway. gently caress it. :black101:

At least you have one of the better Catapult variants. It is still probably the second weakest mech on the field, but it can make a good showing for itself. (The Centurion is hopelessly hosed.)

VVV That Large Pulse? It is a Clan Large Pulse. Everybody dies instantly.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

the Axman’s a new Lyran design so hush-hush it’s only ever been deployed by the Clans.

Should this not be "deployed against the Clans," not "by the Clans?"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

Should this not be "deployed against the Clans," not "by the Clans?"

I'm operating on 2 and a half hours of sleep today. If that's the worst fuckup in that post, I'll be in good shape.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Will it be possible to fire up/down between levels? How will you trace lines of sight through holes in the floors?

This is gonna be a trainwreck. E.g., entertaining as hell, but I suspect the winner is going to based mostly on luck rather than skill.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Chronojam posted:

You confirmed that E was the right choice by the time I made it to the second sentence.

"a swarthy man with a vibrant baritone"?

Sair
May 11, 2007

What a clusterfuck this will be.

Also it looks like I never actually gave you my email address, so here [spoiler]removed/spoiler]

Sair fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 17, 2012

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
{John Madden Mode: ON}

I'll tell you, I'm really excited to be here today. This, uh, this here is going to be a game for the ages, Al, there's no question about it. We've got some real playmakers in the prime of their careers here and it's going to be, uh, be really fun to watch. I don't know about you but I'm really looking forward to it.

Let's, uh, let's take a look at the contenders here first:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Overlord Stables (Steiner)
Odds: 1-2
AXM-1N Axman “Copper” – Serge Axey (g3p4) (magni)

Bromley Stables (Marik)
GLT-4L Guillotine “The Fighting 18th” – Colonel Isadora Alvarez (g3p4) (GreyjoyBastard)

Skye Tigers Stables (Skye)
TDR-5SS Thunderbolt “Warhawk” – Charles Boyington (g3p4) (Longinus00)

Gemini Stables (Duchy of New Syrtis)
Odds: 6-5
MAD-3D Marauder “Danh Khan Huu” – Ngoc Binh (g3p4) (cafel)

Tandrek Stables (Liao)
Odds: 3-2
CN9-AL Centurion “Legionnaire” – Antonin Césaire (g3p4) (Felime)

Silver Dragon Stables (Kurita)
Odds: 2-1
CPLT-K2 Catapult “Kokuryuu” – Ken Hachiman (g3p4) (anakha)

I'll tell you what, Al, it's really hard to look past the Guillotine and the Axeman. For this kind of game you definitely expect some smashmouth football and these are the kind of mechs you need for that. They pack a lot of punch in close, if you try and go in for the tackle, BOOM! They'll just drop the shoulder and keep going. And the Guillotine is hard to bring down even if you hit him hard, you really need, uh, a decleater to deal with one. All the other contenders have some serious minimum range issues and might have problems with the, uh, uh, the close quarters involved, and the lack of jumpjets on the other contenders could be a problem too.

I, uh, I do think that Marauder might have a chance to be a sleeper here though. If he can hide out in a good spot and pop out while there are targets at range, and get the chance to use his arm to make plays, well I think he could really go somewhere in this league. I think the other contenders are going to have to use some trick plays, maybe try out the option or, uh, you know, just try something the favorites won't expect.

One thing you have to be aware of in The Factory is the hiding spots. Let me, uh, let me just break the telestrator our here and show you some of them.

Basically, you've just, uh, got all these pillars all over the place, and you can do all kinds of things with them. You can hide behind them, use them to set up sort of pick plays and shake off a blocker, all kinds of things. I'll tell you, Al, games like this often times come down to who can be the most creative, and so I think whoever makes the best use of those pillars is going to have a great chance to win.

{John Madden Mode: OFF}

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

well that centurion is dead if it is not the first to go I will be very suprised.

My money is on the Guillotine or Thunderbolt, I think the Guillotine is the better mech but I know from experience that longius00 is a drat good player and his mech is almost equal to the guillotine. Whereas I have never seen greyjoybastard play before so I have no way to judge how bad or good he is.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Huh, MAD-3D seems interesting. Lots of punch, not much in the way of crit seeking, the lack of jumpjets kind of sucks, but not so much on this map. With no reliable team to cover me in case of overheating I'll have to be sure to ride the heat curve well (something I tend to suck at).

I'd normally be down for betting, but that would probably present a conflict of interest.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Centurion will prevail with the might of the rear mounted medium laser.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I have, admittedly, only a passing familiarity with many of these 'Mechs and the people to whom I'll be comparing them to, so people can feel free to correct me, but:

AXM-1N Axman - physical, brutal, in-your-face. Slow starter but an absolute beast once he's in range. Also new, shiny, and in some ways a bit untested. One has to wonder if the mystique can't last.

You are Bill Goldberg.

GLT-4L Guillotine - Standard parts-version of the Guillotine (no CASE, no Endo). An older design, with less raw firepower than the current paradigm tends to use, but still respectable and loved by old-school purists.

You are The American Dream, Dusty Rhodes.

TDR-5SS Thunderbolt - mounting a PPC, you're built as a long-range striker who can still be nasty up close. As the representative from Skye, you've got a lot riding on your shoulders, prestige-wise - you're going to have to be a sharpshooter, the best there was, the best there is, and the best there ever will be.

You are Bret "the Hitman" Hart.

MAD-3D Marauder - Brutal at long ranges but terrible in-close, you're a heavy hitter with a glass jaw. If anyone is fool enough to let you dictate the terms of battle you'll wreck them something fierce, but if they're not playing your game you're in trouble.

You are Brock Lesnar.

CN9-AL Centurion - You're an incredible talent who's really underweight for this kind of fight. Smart fans know you're the best in the world while the casual fans dismiss you because you're too small and you don't fit the image.

You are Daniel Bryan.

CPLT-K2 Catapult - Remember what I said about the Marauder at range? Same deal, only moreso. You've got a hell of a punch if they'll just stand still and let you land it.

You are Andre the Giant.

People are probably going to tell me I'm wrong and/or kinda pathetic and I don't care a whit.

Sair
May 11, 2007

That's one of the tougher Centurion variants, so it can probably last a bit longer than you might think. Not much punch compared to most of the field though.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Those comparisons are pretty apt, although now I desperately want to see Andre the Giant try to keep Bill Goldberg at range.

Despite all these good comparisons and some strat-chat I'm not sure who to lay a bet down on yet. We gotta get a bookie going though, it's no arena blood-sport without some money riding on the outcome.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

quote:

CN9-AL Centurion - You're an incredible talent who's really underweight for this kind of fight. Smart fans know you're the best in the world while the casual fans dismiss you because you're too small and you don't fit the image.

I have the same skill as everyone else, and I can't really count on my opponents being idiots to give me an OOC talent advantage(and I know Longinus is a pro). My only hope is to play as tricky as humanly possible. Luckily, a Capellan is the right man for that job.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Sair posted:

That's one of the tougher Centurion variants, so it can probably last a bit longer than you might think. Not much punch compared to most of the field though.

Even being the maxed armor AL version, it still has less armor than anything else on the field. Weakest firepower, weakest armor, two ammo crits, and the smallest sweetspot range bracket. I am absolutely rooting for it to pull off a miracle.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I can tell every last one of those competitors in there has the same thing on his mind, Mean Gene. He wants to prove he's worthy of stepping into the ring with the Sexy Beast. They want a shot at my title, and since I'm in such a generous mood, maybe I'll put the belt up, if they impress me.

#Y3J

• Locked thread