Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Well that was metal as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
I laughed and drooled at the double-kill ending. I've never seen so many non-fatal crits in a roll before.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That was an amazing ending - so many non-lethal crits. And Cal, haha, getting fired midway through the match. I guess Duncan Fisher is just That Good.

Maybe the Grand Championship will be an unprecedented three-way fight?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
No idea how so many crits occurred without a bad thing happening, but it definitely makes me glad the last few turns were played out together.

Now for the political vote and mech contest :swoon:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
That was a great ending to this scenario. I was hoping the Centurion would prevail, but a MAD situation is acceptable to me.

V V V I'm guessing it was a file containing the design schematics for LB-X autocannons (wishful thinking, I know).

landcollector fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 7, 2012

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Man that was a lot of criticals.

So what was in the secret hex?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Well that was metal as gently caress.

There's just no other way to put it. That was one hell of a finale.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

enigma74 posted:

I laughed and drooled at the double-kill ending. I've never seen so many non-fatal crits in a roll before.
You need to play with my friend Pete. He can't roll crits for poo poo so he beats you to death the hard way.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Thank god that is over. I can't wait for the next political update now. Woo, though I suppose the contest has to take place first.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
That was beautiful. That was art. :swoon:

Now if we could only get someone to immortalize that fight in a picture...

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

anakha posted:

Catapult

Holy poo poo, did not expect that ending. :black101:

Felime deserved to win, though. That Centurion did a hell of a lot better than anyone could have expected.

Congrats to the four posters who get a second chance. I'm more than happy to go back to being a heckler in the stands myself. All this mechwarrioring tired me out. :sweatdrop:

E: Forgot to add the signature to this letter...

- Ken "Headshot" Hachiman :smug:

Centurion

I'm happy with my go, and I hope the other four have some better luck with the next battle.

I'm sure Antonin and Ken are going to be shaking hands in the medical bay after they get pried out of their cockpits. That was a good fight to the end there, and I think the Thunderbolt actually saved my bacon by being rid of the last of my ammo in a nonlethal manner before that exchange.

I'm sure that ending made some people hilariously wealthy and gave Cal some company both. The bookies might have some trouble though, because, by the original definition:

"Last man standing."

We're both winners. :smug:

-Antonin 'Suh' Césaire

(And it appears that four is only an unlucky number for his opponents.)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Felime posted:

I'm sure that ending made some people hilariously wealthy and gave Cal some company both. The bookies might have some trouble though, because, by the original definition:

"Last man standing."

There might be a few bookies going :suicide: in Solaris 7 tonight.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yaaaaaaay! (Woooo!)

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

An experimental scenario yields experimental results, heavy on the "mental". Good job to all involved.

Scurrilous
Sep 2, 2006
evolutionary throwback
Stop making me equate Duncan Fisher to shouting heads. You can't make me dislike him! I refuse!
It's a little disappointing (but understandable) that no-one resorted to physical attacks. Unless this sport follows jousting rules, in which case I'm picturing a full blown reenactment of the brawl from 'They Live'.
"either put on this neurohelmet or start eating that catapult"

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

enigma74 posted:

:flashfap: I love the part when the crits start rolling, especially if there's a bunch of close-call non-fatal hits right before the big kablam.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Hahaha, that cripple-fight was awesome. Somehow I think the tech teams on both sides are going to want to kill the pilots, though.

Thanks for the second chance, I'll accept. Now I'm curious about the design contest entries.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Magni posted:

Hahaha, that cripple-fight was awesome. Somehow I think the tech teams on both sides are going to want to kill the pilots, though.

Thanks for the second chance, I'll accept. Now I'm curious about the design contest entries.

With the endorsement deals the pilots are likely to get after such an amazing fight, they'll probably be able to buy new rides.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Magni posted:

Now I'm curious about the design contest entries.

Still working on it. I'm kinda at a loss to decide the best way to actually show this information without taking up 10+ pages of my own thread.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

It's hard to derail your own thread with content you asked for and we want. Just sayin

Scurrilous
Sep 2, 2006
evolutionary throwback
You could create an armory on Solaris7 for displaying the mechs. This seems more or less like the kind of thing the Solaris7 armory is for.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've finally finished `Mech processing.

I received 59 `Mechs in total (a total of 60+ pages in MS word, even after formatting to remove extraneous info). I'm thinking about making a throwaway google webpage to showcase them. What're your thoughts, thread? Would you prefer them as posts like the last contest; or as a link to a complete list?

edit: Actually, checking the character limit, I can fit every `Mech into six posts, plus a 7th for the contest post. Prepping this poo poo now (I tried to edit some of the early entries for spacing / etc in the fluff, but you can tell where I kinda gave up trying).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 8, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Voting for posts. When this invariably is LP Archived, we'll want them included there for posterity, and a throwaway website doesn't make that likely.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I support a google page if it is named Parent's Basement Skunkworks.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Posts in the thread might be the better option for longevity.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
You could make a webpage and then the top ten (twenty? thirty?) could make it into the thread.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
6-7 posts is not so bad, so unless it is easier to post on another site, posting here should be fine, yeah?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I sure as hell won't mind.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Draconis Suns Entries 1

1) Rorac

quote:

Name: Meteor

75 ton Quad 'Mech
Movement range 4/6/3
16 single heat sinks

Armament:
Left torso has HVAC/10 with 2 tons of standard ammo.
Right torso has 3 SMR6's with 2 tons of standard ammo.

This follows the pretty standard DC strategy of 'blow big hole in enemy, add SRM's liberally, watch poo poo get hosed up.' Simple, but very, very effective. No CASE and the XL engines makes it a bit dangerous to be in, but barring a really unlucky TAC it's armor should keep it going, and the jump jets can get it out of sticky situations(or just jump on the motherfucker). Being a flagship 'Mech I didn't spare any expense either, it's just shy of 14.8 million C-bills.

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: This `Mech needed some last-minute editing by Rorac to be legal; but he caught the problem on his own and I didn’t have to disqualify the design.

2) Picard Day

quote:

Ryuken 'Mech: Tadakatsu

The Tadakatsu was designed specifically for the Ryuken, who were in desperate need of a morale boost facing the integration of the Draconis Combine and the Federated Suns. The result was a 'Mech worthy of only the greatest Combine warriors. Named after Honda Tadakatsu, generally regarded as the finest Samurai to have ever taken to a battlefield, the distinctive antler design inspired by the 'Mechs namesake make the bipedal, humanoid design still quite distinctive. The 'Mech mounts an effective battery of lasers and short range missiles for close work, and a pair of heavier lasers mounted in the rear prevent any foolish flanking maneuvers. However, the true crowning glory of the design is found in the right arm: a massive PPC of the type not yet seen. The Tadakatsu is the first design to mount this amazing prototype "Heavy PPC". In honor of the first design to carry it the production model of the weapon used in this 'Mech has been named the "Dragonfly Cutter" in reference to the warriors famous spear. However, as the weapon is still in prototype stage problems have arisen. A massive cooling jacket has been required to make the weapon operate correctly - and problems still occasionally occur.

Tadakatsu TDKU-1K

Mass: 75 tons
Chassis Config: Biped
Cost: 6,833,750 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,564

Movement: 4/6/4
Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 17 7.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 216 13.50

Armament
SRM-6 - CT
2 Small Lasers - RT
(R) Medium Laser – RT
2 Small Lasers - LT
(R) Medium Laser - LT
Heavy PPC - RA

Ammo
@SRM-6 (15) – 1 ton LT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Hahaha, awesome. Bonus points for having a better rear-firing laser armament than it has front-firing (i.e. very, very Kurita)! Also: Check out that Battle Value!

3) Hob_Gadling

quote:

When Combine gets new tech, the designers face a dilemma. How to integrate the new ideas into mechs in a way that is accepted by the ultra-conservative warrior caste? More than one project has ended in ruin since warriors felt the new design did not suit their values.

Once Combine got their hands on the new PPC prototype it was imperative it would be tested and fielded as soon as possible. Only an already existing mech with existing doctrine would be quick and certain enough. The first attempts were simply upgunning the Panther. This was unsatisfactory for many reasons. The light mech didn't have the necessary superstructure to support the new weapon. It felt like "having a twenty kilo weight bound to your arm while writing calligraphy" as one test pilot explained the experience. Another was the light armor of Panther: it was feared too many black boxes with their valuable test data would be lost to the enemy.

The expense of designing a new-but-old chassis around it was justified. For quick deployment time it was simply a slightly larger Panther. In the end it was ten tons heavier, mounting prototype PPC and larger missile rack and significantly up-armored. On test fields it passed all the expected tasks of a normal Panther `mech with colors flying. The prototype chassis was named after someone said it felt like watching the king of beasts.

All trials passed, L-30 Lion is waiting in small numbers for deployment into line units. The decision to continue into mass production depends on the success against the Clans. Even if the mech fails on the field, engineers are anxious to get the PPC pushed into production and deployed on a large scale.

Type: L-30 Lion Prototype
Technology Base: Inner Sphere / 3075
Tonnage: 45
Cost: 3,229,295 C-bills
Battle Value: 1,008
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 4
Heat Sinks: 13 [13] 3.0
Armor Factor: 145 9.5

Weapons and Ammo
Heavy PPC - RA
SRM 6 - LT
Ammo (SRM 6) 15 – 1 ton LT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: This may be a Kurita design, but the Davions would love the hell out of it. Especially paired with Enforcers

4) The Merry Marauder

quote:

VTR-9DS Victor

Long dismissed as a weakly-armored brawler, the Victor, though a venerable design, has had very little success against the Clans, as it has no firepower whatsoever outside of short range, and Clan 'Mechs can often peel attacking Victors apart before they can close, absent favorable terrain and circumstances.

The variant being produced by Independence Weaponry on Quentin for the Draconis Suns is a very simple one, designed to ameliorate the flaws of the original Victor. Replacing the enormous class 20 autocannon with the newly developed Hyper-Velocity Autocannon/10 more than doubles the range of the 'Mech's primary weapon, and the three ammunition bays allow for a variety of tactics, even indirect fire with Guided Rounds! The VTR-9DS can use its jump jets to skirmish with Clanners, keeping the range open and firing from cover or defilade, instead of being forced to endure attrition while closing the range.

To improve survivability and balance for the new mission of the VTR-9DS, tons of armor have been added across the Victor's chassis, bringing the total to 15.5 tons of Durallex Heavy. Unfortunately, the suite of secondary armament is necessarily limited; the arm-mounted Medium lasers have been retained, but the SRM rack was removed in favor of a Flamer as both a token defense against infantry, and a surefire method of igniting terrain to tip the battle environment to further favor the Victor.

Analysts believe this variant will permit forces engaging the Clans multiply their tactical options, and provide durable, mobile ranged support.

VTR-9DS Victor
Armor: 15.5 Tons
13 Single Heat Sinks
Weaponry:
HV AC/10 (RA)
1 Ton Ammo (RA) (Guided)
1 Tons Ammo (RT)
1 Ton Ammo (RT) (Acid)
Flamer (LA)
Medium Laser (LT)
Medium Laser (RT)

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: I wasn’t expecting to see a Victor either, but this one’s solid as a rock; and the extra armor is a very Davion move.

5) AJ_Impy

quote:

To unify the two disparate elites, a new fire support assault 'mech was proposed, a sniper equipped with the finest weapons Draconis Suns scientists could devise. The design was hindered both by being somewhat oversinked and by design providing little in the way of close range firepower, in part to discourage the sort of mad charges that resulted in the death of at least one coordinator. The design was called the Greatsword, or Tachi, to tap into the favoured mythology of both factions. It bears a heavy PPC in the right arm and a Gauss rifle in the left, with a HVAC/10 equipped with normal and precision ammunition in the left torso.

Greatsword (Tachi)
PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Tonnage? I’m betting 100.

Movement: 3/5
Heat Sinks: 16
Armor: 256/307 (83%)

Weapons
Gauss Rifle - RA
Heavy PPC – LT
HVAC/10 - RT

Ammo
Gauss Ammo – 1 ton RT
Gauss Ammo – 1 ton RA
HVAC/10 Ammo – 1 ton RT
Precision (PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Guided?) AC/10 Ammo – 1 ton RT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Interesting, and it’s nice to see the Gauss Rifle again. This `Mech’s pretty vulnerable to light `Mechs, but hey, that’s what sacrifice Panthers are for, right?

6) Shoeless

quote:

Hi. I've done my best to design a good mech for the DracSuns. The idea is that it's a smaller version of Samsonov's Atlas, in honor of the new Coordinator. It shall be called the Yari. Twin PPCs and twenty single heat sinks provide a generous amount of long to medium range firepower, while the massive AC/20 gives it a powerful punch to any who attempt to exploit the PPCs minimum range. Rather than being weighed down with experimental technologies, the Yari sticks with reliable tech, known to work from centuries of battle experience.

Mass: 85 tons
Cost: 7,312,310 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,701
Movement: 3/5/0
Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 20 10.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 263 16.50

Armament
Autocannon/20 - RT
PPC - RA
PPC - LA
@AC/20 (5) 1 ton RT
@AC/20 (10) 2 tons LT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Sometimes, the original weapons are the best. Still, this beast is expensive and slow for an 80 tonner. Puts the Charger frames to decent use, I’d expect.

7) KnoxZone

quote:

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Formatting! :argh:

Mackie MSK-10D
Mass: 100 tons
Cost: 9,096,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,936 PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Ahaha, really?

Movement: 3/5/0

Overview:
While the merger of the Federated Suns and the failing Draconis Combine made sense on a lot of levels, it was still a hard sell to the citizens and soldiers of both states, especially those located in the Draconis March and Benjamin Military District. It was decided that a new BattleMech would be needed, one that combined the power of both nations into one formidable chassis. Eventually it was decided that the effect would be stronger if a long forgotten chassis was used for this endevor. Surprisingly, a chassis was found that was well suited for this new equipment. Thus the Mackie was reborn.

Capabilities:
Built around the Davions new Hypervelocity Autocannon and the Kuritas Heavy PPC in lieu of the Mackie's original AC/10 and PPC, this mech packs a formidable punch at almost any range. Two tons of regular ammunition and two tons of specialized ammunition allow the HVAC to be used in multiple roles. The Mackies original medium lasers were retained, with two more added to deter any threats from the rear. Nineteen tons of armor make this mech a very solid candidate for a command mech.

Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 24 14.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA R: SH+UA+LA
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 304 19.00

Armament:
HV AC/10 - RA
Heavy PPC - LA
(R) Medium Laser - RT
Medium Laser - RT
Medium Laser - LT
(R) Medium Laser – LT
@HVAC/10 (16) - RT
@HVAC/10 Acid (8) - RT
@HVAC/10 Guided (8) – RT

KnoxZone: Ahahaha a Mackie? Really? Good form! Bonus-points for rear-firing lasers!

8) dis astranagant

quote:

BLR-1K Battlemaster
Chassis and armor are the same as the 1G, with 4 jump jets added and an extra heatsink. PPC is upgraded to heavy and the short range weapons reduced to 5 medium lasers. Jump and shoot all day, bracket firing the guns.

9) Ferrosol

quote:

Caliburn Cal-001

Mass: 80 tons
Cost: 6,706,440 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,762

Overview:
Named for the legendary sword that King arthur pulled from the stone the
Caliburn is the first assault mech developed by the new Draconis Suns. By order
of Coordinator Prince Hanse Davion the mech uses parts from all over his new
realm to intend to bind the realm together.

Capabilities:
The Caliburn mounts 2 new weapons. The devastating gauss rifle recently
recovered in the fires of the clan invasion, and the Heavy PPC which has nearly
half as much damage again as the standard ppc and was secretly developed by
the Draconis Combine for use in the bitter fight against the clans. Also to
deal with any close range threats the mech mounts a small battery of close
range weapons to defend against anything that thinks it can duck in below the
mechs minimum range.

Battle History:
Although the Caliburnhas not seen combat yet Simulatior battles conducted
against the invading clans indicate that it should prove very powerful,

Deployment:
So far the Caliburn is only deployed to a select few units for advanced combat
testing. The Davion Heavy Guards and the Sword of Light Regiments are two
notable users for now with rumours that the new mech will be deployed with the
new Ryuken regiment spreading rapidly.

Variants:
Although no additional variants have been deployed yet Independence weaponary
is reported working on a prototype design that trades some of the Caliburn's
long range fire for a stronger close range battery.

Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 18 8.00
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 200 12.50

Armament
SRM-6 - RT
2 Medium Lasers – LT
Heavy PPC - RA
Gauss Rifle - LA
@SRM-6 (30) RT – 2 tons
@Gauss Rifle (16) LT - 2 tons

PoptartsNinja’s Notes I don’t have much to say. It seems pretty solid, but slow for an 80 tonner.

10) Captain Foo

quote:

Sunfire SUN-F1X

75t 4/6
xHPPC LA
xHPPC RA
SLAS HD
SLAS CT
SLAS CT
SLAS LT
SHS LT
SHS LT
SHS RT
SHS RT
SHS RT

Armor 13.5t

The experimental sunfire surely earns its name. One story says the name
came from the original test pilot, who said riding in the F1X was like
standing on the surface of the sun. With brutal fire output but a high
price to pay, the Sunfire covers its other weakness nicely with a collection
of small lasers in case any oppposing mechs close to underneath xHPPC
effective range. Some designers fought for trading some of the defensive
lasers for more heat sinks, but that would have to come in the next
design revision.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Draconis Suns Entries 2

11) Leperflesh

quote:

Wildebeest WLD-1B

Mass: 70 tons
Cost: 5,278,840 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,192

Overview:
The Wildebeest is one of the first battlemech designs produced by the
newly-integrated military-industrial infrastructure of the Draconis Suns. The
reality of the situation, however, is that with the Clan invasion of Luthien,
much of the former-Draconis Combine's battlemech manufacturing capability had
been crippled.

The result is that while Yori Mechworks was able to supply engines and armor
manufactured at its Al Na'ir facility, the majority of the mech's parts and all
of its assembly came from contractors entirely or largely controlled by the
Federated Suns. Notably, the oft-fought-over Quentin facility of Independence
Weaponry received significant attention within weeks of the de-facto surrendur
of the Draconis Combine, and it was this retooling and upgrading effort that
proved to be the ideal site for production of the experimental Hyper-Velocity
Autocannon which comprises the Wildebeest's entire weapon loadout.

The mech was built on the new Dorwinion "Standard" design by Jonston Industries
on New Syrtis, making use of mostly-Johnston components including all of the
electronics and sensor packages.

Capabilities:
Envisioned from the outset as a platform for the Draconis Suns to field its
Hyper-Velocity Autocannon as well as two experimental munitions-types, the
Wildebeest carries two HV AC/10s mounted just above and behind the fists on the
mech's forearms. These weapons are fed by four ammunition bins in the torso,
each of which is capable of feeding either weapon. While two bins carry a total
of two tons of standard HVAC ammo, the other two are specifically designed for
Acid Rounds and Guided Rounds respectively. The Acid Rounds are a new
development aimed squarely at the Ferro-Fibrous armor used by the invading
Clans, while the Guided Rounds allow the Wildebeest to fire volleys indirectly
when assisted by a spotter.

With only 13 heat sinks in total, the Wildebeest can run hot if the pilot
insists on firing with both weapons while running, but the decision to mount
two of its heat sinks in the legs allows this problem to be mitigated in
shallow water, and if the mechwarrior can locate a good firing position where
he can remain mostly stationary, overheating is not a crippling problem.

The 70-ton mech can manage only modest speed from its Magna 210 engine, but it
carries 12 tons of armor - considered reasonable, if not spectacular, for a
Mech of its tonnage.

The real limitation of this mech is its ammunition. The HVAC weapon consumes a
ton of ammunition in just eight shots, so even with the specialized ammunition
included, the 'mech can provide only modest firepower for a relatively limited
period. Draconis Suns strategists hope that the surprise of the HVAC system's
superior range over standard AC/10s will give the Wildebeest an edge; in an
extended fight, the mech is likely to lose to even fairly venerable 70-ton
Inner Sphere designs with superior firepower, range, mobility, or (often) all
three.

Battle History:
The Wildebeest is a brand new mech which has not yet seen battle outside
carefully-controlled proving exercises.

Deployment:
The Wildebeest is intended to be deployed as a medium-range support battlemech
which will use the unexpected range, indirect firing capability, and
anti-Ferro-Fibrous ammunition to gain an edge against Clan forces. As such, it
is being included with other new and experimental designs alongside more
numerous, well-established front-line heavy and assault 'Mechs for
counterstrikes and defense deployments along the Clan invasion frontier.

Variants:
The WLD-1A was the original design, which used three tons of standard HV AC/10
ammo and an additional heat sink. While this mech would still have benefitted
from the surprising range of its armament, and had superior heat management
capabilities, the extremely limited ammunition capacity was a significant
concern. When the specialized ammunition types became available during
mid-3033, the Wildebeest underwent a redesign prior to final live-fire testing
and full production. It is unlikely the WLD-1A will ever be produced, although
there are a handful of prototypes maintained on New Syrtis for testing and
maintenance training purposes.

Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 13 3.00
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 192 12.00

Armament
HV AC/10 RA 7 6 14.00
HV AC/10 LA 7 6 14.00
@HVAC/10 (24) RT - 3 tons standard
@HVAC/10 (16) LT – 1 ton Guided, 1 ton Acid

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: A very nice little `Mech. Sure, it’s a glorified artillery piece but it’s cheap and those Acid rounds are going to be a nasty surprise for the Clanners.

12) LeschNyhan

quote:

It is politically important for the new Draconis Suns to respect its new diversity. The Super Dragon is an upgrade on the classic Kuritan design meant to provide the Ryuken with some heavy firepower and to show that House Davion is not neglectful of its new citizens.

Although slower than the original Dragon at only 60+ kph, it makes up for the deficit with a jump capacity of 120m. This allows it to find optimum sniping positions for the new experimental Heavy PPC. Once it has depleted its foe's armour, the Super Dragon can close to unleash a barrage of SRM fire. Two medium lasers round out the Super Dragon's armament.

The Heavy PPC puts out a much more heat than a regular PPC, and the Super Dragon has enough heat sinks to compensate. More importantly, these heat sinks allow the Super Dragon to deploy its entire short-range arsenal while jumping for long stretches of combat.

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Secret Agent…
Super Dragon SDGN-1

Cost: 6,219,053 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,557

Jumping MP: 4 Standard
Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 17
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 208

Armament
Heavy PPC – RA
2 Medium Lasers – RT
2 SRM-4s – LT
@SRM-4 (25) – 1 ton LT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Not bad, all around. It solves some of the problems with the Dragon being too light to effectively mount an upgraded armament.

13) Vlad Antlerkov

quote:

Sentry SNT-03

Mass: 40 tons
Cost: 2,917,227 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,168

Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 10
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 128

Armament
2 Machine Guns – RA
Heavy PPC – LA
Medium Laser – HD
@MG (1/2) (100) – 1/2 ton RT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: The Davions would love this. It’s cheap, and has a head-mounted laser!

14) GenericServices

quote:

Jagermech JM6-HV (Draconis Suns)

Quick Summary for PTN: Aggressively sub-par Jagermech JM6-S mod. Replace each pair of ACs in the arms with a HVAC/10, modify two ammo bins to supply Guided HVAC ammo, then pull the medium lasers and replace them with SRM-2s. The third JM6-S ammo bin gets changed into SRM ammo. Intended for indirect fire support, is short on ammo for main guns and suffers moderate heat build-up while moving and firing both ACs.

Mass: 65 tons
Cost: 5,215,925 C-Bills
Battle Value: 944

Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 10 0.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA R: SH+UA
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 96 6.00

Armament
SRM-2 – RT
SRM-2 – LT
HV AC/10 – RA
HV AC/10 – LA
@SRM-2 (50) CT - 1 ton
@HVAC/10 (8) RT - 1 ton GUIDED
@HVAC/10 (8) LT - 1 ton GUIDED

Design History
With hyper-velocity autocannon reaching low-rate initial production, the NAIS approached Kallon Industries for assistance in devising a capable platform for the new weapon. Known for their production of AC-wielding 'Mechs like the Jagermech, Rifleman, and Enforcer, Kallon eagerly took on the project, foreseeing a future of lucrative deals supplying former Combine troops with new tools with which to take vengeance on the Clans. Examining the technical specifications of the HVAC and its specialized munitions, the engineers immediately seized upon the indirect-firing capabilities of the guided rounds as being ideal for their purposes. With the exceptional range of the HVAC and the ability to fire from behind obstructions, the Clans' potent weaponry could be partially mitigated. Better yet, it turned out that the mass of a single HVAC lined up nicely with that of the pre-existing autocannon in a Jagermech JM6-S. Thus was the JM6-HV born.

Swapping in a HVAC for the AC/5 and AC/2 in each arm produced a 'Mech with nearly the reach of a long-range missile system. Two of the ammo bins within the 'Mech were modified to support the loading of Guided munitions, which the designers belatedly realized solved not only the issue of Clanner range, but also a problem intrinsic to the Jagermech: its frailty. Normally considered thin-skinned at best, allowing the heavy 'Mech to employ terrain as its first line of defense would greatly increase its lifespan on the battlefield. Fortunately for Kallon, this was noticed in time to add it to the marketing copy.

The engineers chose to leave the 'Mech with its standard allotment of heat sinks, figuring that it would be periodically ceasing fire to reposition itself. This still left it running an unpleasant heat surplus, so in a mostly-futile effort to reduce possible heat output the medium lasers were stripped off and replaced with a pair of SRM-2 packs, with the original model's centerline autocannon ammunition bin exchanged for missiles. With so few major changes to the chassis itself, the first batch of JM6-HVs was ready for battle in excellent time, and although veteran Jagermech pilots were concerned by its relatively shallow ammunition capacity and harsh heat curve, the prospect of being able to empty those bins before having them punctured by a PPC was some consolation.

PoptartsNinja’s notes: Ahahahaha, YES! I love aggressively sub-par `Mechs!

15) T.G. Xarbala

quote:

Shadow Hawk SHD-2KDa1
"Dragoon Hawk"
Heart of the Dragon, Edge of the Sword

While the Shadow Hawk is one of the most commonly-seen 'Mechs in the Inner Sphere, compared to other 'Mechs of similar weight the SHD-2H model's performance was considered to be lackluster by any most analysts and even some of its own pilots--especially those who've had the misfortune to confront a Griffin head-to-head. The engineers of House Kurita struck onto a notable compromise, a Griffin-hunter Shadow Hawk capable of matching the Griffin's ground speed while maintaining a more steady rate of fire thanks to a clear surplus of heat sinks. The SHD-2K, as it came to be known, was regarded as one of the most successful Shadow Hawk variants of the Succession Wars. Meanwhile, the notoriously fragile Davion-designed SHD-2D was an embarrassment in comparison. When the NAIS designed a versatile new "Clanbuster" AC/10 capable of loading specialized anti-Clan ammunition while competing with Clan extended-range weaponry, the surplus of Shadow Hawks throughout both the Federated and Combine worlds made it an excellent testing platform. However, the size of the engine limited the size of its loadout and the SHD-2D's dearth of armor severely hampered its ability to survive at standoff ranges. With the addition of House Kurita's resources at their disposal, however, new options emerged. Nissan General Industries produced a line of 220-rated Fusion Engines typically used in Tokugawa Heavy Tanks, produced only on Luthien--the loss of which had robbed them of their most valuable customer. Their newfound surplus of Nissan 220's and the several battalions' worth of -2K Shadow Hawks provided as part of Jannike Kurita's sizable dowry proved a fortuitous fit for the engineers at NAIS, who revamped their "HVAC-X Shadow Hawk" model into a ferociously competitive new 'Mech.

Taking a prominent 'Mech commonly found within both House Kurita's and House Davion's forces, the NAIS, Achernar BattleMechs, and Alshain Weapons' veteran Shadow Hawk "refitter" engineers from Tok Do combined their efforts to design a highly mobile fire support sniper 'Mech for the new Ryuken regiments. Translated to "Dragon's Sword," these are to be a hybrid formation combining the methodologies and tactics of the best of both Kuritan and Davion forces while conspicuously invoking the imagery of both cultures. Fusing the overall damage profile and range bracket of the SHD-2K with a distinctly Davion experimental autocannon, the only compromise made was in ground speed. While a controversial decision to many veteran Shadow Hawk pilots (mostly -2H), the addition of a fourth jump jet has made the new, slower SHD-2KDa1 variant surprisingly popular...

... among Panther veterans.

As of this writing, the SHD-2KDa1 has entered production on New Avalon by Achernar BattleMechs using an SHD chassis design reverse-engineered from the original Earthwerks model by the finest Kuritan Shadow Hawk experts, redesigned to fit the gigantic HVAC/10 and paired with the basic electronics suite used by the Enforcer and Phoenix Hawk. They added back the right-arm fit Medium Laser, however. All parties agreed it helps give it a "classic" look. Armed with three different kinds of ammo for its main gun, the "Ryuken's Own" Shadow Hawk is capable of providing reliable fire support in any situation and against any target. Guided ammo allows the Shadow Hawk -2KDa1 to suppress targets from behind total cover and concealment, one of the few tried-and-true methods of countering the Clans' severe firepower advantage--though early tests suggest these might also prove useful against the Clans' "armored infantry" units. Acid rounds were developed as a hard counter against the advanced lightweight armor the Clans tend to use. And standard HVAC ammo provides a sizable punch at any range against hard targets. To top it all off, the Hyper-Velocity AC/10 has an easily 33% longer effective range than standard AC/10s, allowing it to out-shoot even an IS standard PPC or the Clans' own advanced AC/10 variants. A single extra heatsink allows it to jump 120 meters and fire its HVAC or run and fire both long-ranged weapons, all while running cool as a cucumber--a fact not lost on Panther and Griffin pilots, who have long had to manage a delicate balance between mobility and sustained fire.

Mass: 55 tons
Cost: 4,394,973 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,081

Armor: 9.5 tons, Starguard II Standard
Heat Sinks: 11, SHS

Armament
LRM-5 – RT
HV AC/10 – LT
Medium Laser – RA
@LRM-5 (24) – 1 ton RT
@HVAC/10 Standard (8) – 1 ton RL (REALLY?)
@HVAC/10 Acid (8) – 1 ton LL
@HVAC/10 Guided (8) – 1 ton LL

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: AHAHAHAHA! … Not a fan of the leg-mounted ammo, but I suppose you gotta put it where it fits.

16) b0lt

quote:

Lets take a gun and glue a mech to it! :haw:

[quote]Sniper SNP-1A

Cost: 4,718,407 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,033

Jumping MP: 5 Standard
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 120 7.500

Armament
HV AC/10 – RT
@HVAC/10 Acid (8) – HD PoptartsNinja’s Notes: I still have issues with head-mounted ammo
@HVAC/10 Guided (16) – LT
@HVAC/10 (8) – RT

5/8/5 medium with an HVAC/10 and 4 tons of ammo (2 guided, 1 acid, 1 normal) that hides behind terrain all day shooting indirectly.

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Quick-ish, but very Lyran. It’s also probably carrying too much ammo for its weight, it’ll probably never fire it all before something kills it.

17) TildeATH

quote:

Yorinaga YGA-1X

Cost: 5,419,940 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,393

Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 27 17.00
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 144 9.00

Armament
4 Small Lasers - LT
Heavy PPC - RA
Heavy PPC - LA

Named for the Hero of Luthien, the Yorinaga began as a platform for a host of new technologies, including higher capacity heatsinks similar to those fielded by the clans, lighter internal structure and new munitions, all in support of a pair of Lord's Light 3 heavy PPCs.

But delays in development of any of the new technology except for the Heavy PPC resulted in what many in the new DS military regard as a white elephant. To fit enough standard heatsinks to even fire the two particle cannons, the engine on the Yorinaga was downgraded so that it can barely keep pace with an Atlas. Without the weight savings expected from the improved internal structure, the machine saw its entire secondary armament suite replaced with a box of small lasers on its right shoulder. And at every design meeting, when the engineers threw up their hands and pointed out that you couldn't mount two HPPCs on a standard heavy mech, a new way was discovered to reduce the Yorinaga's armor, until it ended up with a ton less armor than even the thinly-protected Warhammer.

Given that adaptation of the Yorinaga to take advantage of any coming new technology it was designed for would require a total refit, and in the case of internal structure be simply impossible, most Ryuken assume the mech is meant as a political statement. A powerful mech fielding the newest, most dangerous weapons available to the Draconis Suns and named after a famous Kurita warrior looks great on the holovids and recruitment posters. But its low speed, fragility and heat all make it a tough sell to experienced mechwarriors.

PoptartsNinja – Ouch, that speed; ouch that heat… but as far as Warhammers go, I’d still field one. The damage of an Awesome for 80 tons less.

18) Magni

quote:

==Overview:==
Designed as a larger version of the venerable Rifleman, the Gunslinger debuts the new Hyper-velocity Autocannon technology pioneered by NAIS to create an all-round fire-support plattform in the assualt-weight category.

==Capabilities:==
The experimental Class 10 Hyper-velcoity Autocannon is a superb long-range weapon system, combining striking power with a range rivalled only by LRM-launchers, tolerable heat buildup and the ability to use specialised novel ammunition types. While plagued by minor jamming problems, the weapon has been attested to have great future potential by MechWarriors and technicians alike.
Unlike its predecessor, the Gunslinger has not to worry about ammunittion as much, carrying a full four tons of ammunittion. These include one-ton bays specifically intended for experimental guided rounds that allow the Gunslinger to conduct indirect bombardements at long range. Three medium lasers give the Mech a modicum of ammo-independent short-range firepower.
Taken directly from its smaller cousin, the Garret D2j tracking system provides excellent acquisition of swift-moving aerial targets, which combined with the long range and high muzzle velocity of the HVACs turns the Mech into a terrifying anti-air plattform.
Although well-suited to the fire-support role, the armament of the Gunslinger is comparatively mediocre and even with a more than adequate 13.5 tons of armor, its pilot would be best advised to evade short-range fights against opponents of similar weight.

==Variants:==
Intended for use against the mysterious Clan invaders, the GUN-X2 is a minor modification that replaces the storage bin for guided rounds in the right torso for one used to store specialised acid rounds.

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: Gunslinger GUN-X1

Heat Sinks: 16 Single 7 6,00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA R: Sh+UA 12 ,00
Armor Factor: 214 pts Standard 0 13,50

Armament
1 HV AC/10 (THB) – RA
(Ammo Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 Guided LT, 1 Guided RT)
1 HV AC/10 (THB) – LA
1 Medium Laser – RT
1 Medium Laser – LT
1 Medium Laser – HD

Total Cost: 7.057.800 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1.117

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Interesting. I think you’ll regret not having Acid rounds, but they’re more powerful than they look.

19) Magni

quote:

Type/Model: Kensai Kami KEN-X1
Config: Biped BattleMech

Mass: 60 tons

==Overview:==
The Kensai Kami is an experimental heavy attack Mech, based on on the venerable Dragon. As much a symbol to the former Combine population of the Draconis Suns as a weapon of war, no expenses were spared in trying to design an agressive and maneuverable short-range attacker.

==Capabilities:==
While slightly slower than the Dragon, the Kensai Kami is still intended as a close assault vehicle, possibly evne moreso than its venerable ancestor. While the addittion of more heatsinks and a slight increas ein armor led to a loss of speed, the designers ar ehoping that this is compensated for by the addittion of jumo jets.
The Kensai Kamis' design serves this purpose well. The 'Mech's overall squat shape makes it both a small target for weapons and a difficult opponent to knock to the ground in a brawl. It's armament further enhances this role, replacing the LRM of the Dragon with a six-tube short-range system and a third medium laser. The only long-range weapon of the Mech is an experimental Heavy PPC that provides a fearsome punch at long ranges with a damage potential equalling the combined output of the old autocannon/LRM combo. THe addittional heat sinks incorporated into the design are barely enough to keep up with the heat produced by this impressive piece of weaponry.
Ammo capacity has gone down to 15 shots for the SRM-rack, but this is considered a fair tradeoff given the large amounts of energy-based firepower now avaiable to the Mech.
As a final improvement over its ancestor, the hip actuator problems plaguing the Dragon were finally solved during the design stage, giving the techs maintaining it cause for joy.

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: Kensai Kami KEN-X1

Jumping MP: 4
Heat Sinks: 15 Single 6 5,00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA+LA R: Sh+UA+LA 14 ,00
Armor Factor: 168 pts Standard 0 10,50

Armament
1 Heavy PPC* - RA
1 Medium Laser – RT
1 Medium Laser – LT
1 SRM 6 – CT
(Ammo Locations: 1 LT)
1 Medium Laser – HD

Total Cost: 5.148.800 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1.150

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: It’s nice to see the experimental `Tech broken up between two designs. They’d actually work fairly well together.

20) Helter Skelter

quote:

Ryo-Guchi RGC-2A

Mass: 90 tons
Cost: 7,811,375 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,494

Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 17
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 208

Armament
Small Laser – HD
SRM-6 – RT
2 Medium Lasers – LT
HV AC/10 – RA
Medium Laser – RA
HV AC/10 – LA
Medium Laser – LA
@HVAC/10 (Guided) (16) – 2 tons, RT
@SRM-6 (15) 1 ton RT
@HVAC/10 (Guided) (16) – 2 tons LT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: An excellent bombarder; but it’s probably a bit limited by using nothing but guided ammo. You still need a spotter for indirect fire, so acid or standard ammo would’ve been decent back-up tools.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Draconis Suns Entries 3

21) Quornes

quote:

Aggressor 1DS

Cost: 8,872,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,745

Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 23 13.00

Armament
Medium Laser – RT
Medium Laser – LT
HV AC/10 – RT
HV AC/10 – LT
@HVAC/10 (16) – 2 tons Guided
@HVAC/10 (8) – 1 ton Acid

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: I don’t have a lot to say about this one, really. It’s A reasonable setup for fighting the Clans, though. I’m actually kinda curious about the arms on this one, since it doesn’t have any arm-mounted weapons and also doesn’t have hands, I’m kinda picturing a stump-flailer. Actually, it’s probably dividing the HVACs between the arms and torsos.

22) LandCollector

quote:

The Battlemaster BLR-1HV is my entry for the Draconis Suns. It maintains the 14.5 tons of standard armor and the movement profile of 4/6. It's main weapon is the Hypervelocity AC/10 with two tons of standard ammunition. The SRM-4 is supplied with one ton of ammunition, and is used to exploit holes created by the HV AC/10 and the 4 Medium Lasers also mounted on this mech.

Battlemaster BLR-1HV

Cost: 8,240,393 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,470

Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 15
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 232 14.50

Armament:
HV AC/10 – RA
2 Medium Lasers – RT
2 Medium Lasers – LT
SRM-4 – LT
@HVAC/10 (16) – 2 tons Standard RA
@SRM-4 (25) – 1 ton LT

23) vorebane

quote:

SPW 6-3Sparrow
Weight: 40 tons (Medium)
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 5/8/2
Armament:
Hyper Velocity Autocannon/10– RT (Heat: 7, Range: (L:20 M:12 S:6))
2 tons of guided HV AC/10 ammunition, LT
Small Laser – RA(Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3))

submittedwithout fluff, I made an underarmoured autocannon platform and gave it some hop.

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Some hop indeed… I don’t typically like mounting less jets than walking movement, the Jenner gets a pass because it’s a 7/11/5; but it’s very rare to see anything with less than 3 jumping MP. I’d probably have stripped out the small laser for an extra jet, or mounted three of them since they’re dirt-cheap.

24) Talon775 (an UnGoon!)

quote:

MIXED FLUFF/NON-FLUFF OVERVIEW:

The Gunslinger! Very much an alternate-universe take on the canon Gunslinger, it represents what happens when the Draconis Combine and Federated Suns can do if they work together: make a 'mech that packs a punch and looks drat good when doing it. It uses the Charger's design as the base chassis, but upgraded by 5 tons and given 4.5 more tons of armor.

At first, only a handful of Gunslingers were produced. It seemed to be doomed to Battlemech development hell due to the high cost of experimental tech AND high tensions from military bureaucrats on both sides. But after persistent nudging from the mixed Kurita/Davion technicians and engineers who worked on this, the harrumphing high-ups relented and agreed to view a demonstration of the prototype. Knowing that they might never have another shot at glory, the techies/engies orchestrated and rehearsed an elaborate demonstration scheme to impress the implacable brass. Finally, the day of the demonstration came, and all of the skeptical military high-ups were assembled near a derelict city district.

This is where the Charger's distinct look paid off: the HVAC/10 and Gauss Rifles mounted in the arms are cleverly crafted to appear as if the Gunslinger is carrying a pair of oversized pistols in its hands. When this was combined with the fact that the Gunslinger retains the "sunglasses" cockpit that the Charger's chassis normally has, it left quite an impression on the military assembly.

But what really impressed the brass was the demonstration: instead of having the Gunslinger fire at stationary targets, the techies/engies arranged for three remotely-controlled drone 'mechs mocked up as Clan 'mechs to rush the prototype. One drone fell to a well-placed Gauss round to the head, and the other was disabled by a swift kick and a hail of laser and SRM fire. Seemingly quailed by this display of firepower, the last drone promptly turned tail and ran behind a warehouse for cover. But the Gunslinger merely raised its left arm high in the air, and fired off a single autocannon round. Moments later, the third drone crashed through the warehouse's walls, its leg severed by a single trick shot. The Gunslinger blew off the steam from both its guns with a gout of flame from its mouth, and bowed.

It was thus that the Gunslinger entered full prototype production.

CAPABILITIES:

This Gunslinger is a long-range fire support 'mech. But its weapons noted lack of minimum range (save for the Gauss Rifle's 1 hex) makes closing with the Gunslinger a very bad idea; an enemy has to deal with HVAC/Gauss fire at long ranges, then dual medium lasers and an SRM-4 at close range. The Gunslinger's jump jets also ensure that it can get into a good sniping position or to escape an enemy by jumping over obstructing terrain. The head-mounted flamer acts as a deterrant to Clan infantry/Battle Armor.

Gunslinger

Cost: 7,470,855 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,907

Jumping MP: 3 Standard
Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 11 1.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 232 14.50

Armament:
Flamer – HD
SRM-4 – CT
HV AC/10 – LA
Gauss Rifle – RA
2 Medium Lasers – LT
@Gauss Rifle (16) – 2 tons RT
@SRM-4 (25) – 1 ton RT
@HVAC/10 (Guided) (16) – 2 tons LT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: I kinda like this one, it’s an interesting prototype with a powerful all-round capability. A bit slow, but that can’t really be helped. I don’t like the head-mounted flamer at all, though, flamers are VERY FedSuns, but head-mounted weapons really aren’t.

25) Thijs van (an unGoon)

quote:

Amaterasu KAMI-1DS

Cost: 5.978.673 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1.453

Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 18 8,00
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 176 11,00

Medium Laser – HD
Heavy PPC – RT
LRM-15 – LT
Medium Laser – RA
Medium Laser – LA
@LRM-15 (16) – 2 tons LT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Calling back to Japanese mythology is interesting, but may not be the best choice for a Davion `Mech. It’s also very rare to see torso-mounted PPCs before the 3050s; but hey, when the Clans come in, you learn to protect the big guns.

26) Tempest_56

quote:

Jenner JR7-DK

Mass: 35 tons
Cost: 2,977,050 C-Bills
Battle Value: 776

Overview:
The Jenner became infamous for it's role in the Kentares Massacre of 2796 - a
stain on the honor of the Combine and a grim rallying point for the Federated
Suns. The merger of the two houses has borne a new design of the Jenner that
many see as a symbol of the peace and unity between the great nations.

Symbolism aside, the JR7-DK is the outgrowth of the Draconis Combine's fighting
against the Clans. Field data showed that the Jenner, while a competent scout
mech, was woefully insufficient when faced with Clan firepower as a
hunter-killer. Clan scout units of similar weight had greater range, firepower,
armor and speed - rendering the Jenner little more than an expensive
boondoggle. The mech is too common to simply discard, so a new role is needed.

The first step was to reduce the mech's engine size - logistically, this
allowed it to share parts with the common Davion Firestarter. Combat analysis
had found the Jenner's edge in speed had little effect on it's survivability -
there was very little that it could do at 118kph that it couldn't do at 97kph.
The slight tactical loss was judged worthwhile for the logistical gain alone.

Next was the discarding of the Jenner's existing weapon systems. The mech's
fragility in the face of Clan firepower had made clear that the advantages of a
heavy energy configuration (ie longevity and freedom from supply lines) was
superfluous when the mech was usually incapacitated after two or three salvos
of combat. The nature of the armament's short range also meant the Jenner
frequently was unable to bring that firepower to bear before it was brought
down. Instead, the new Jenner was built to assist other established mechs in
their roles - specifically the venerable Davion staple, the Dervish. Fitted
with paired LRM5s in each arm and a pair of light lasers under the chin, the
new Jenner was meant to act as a stopgap replacement in Dervish fire support
units. While a drop-off in terms of raw firepower, the Jenner could still
provide a significant amount of long range fire support in the short term.

The revised Jenner design does have it's flaws - in particular, a shortage of
ammunition for the LRM launchers. This has been dismissed by designers,
pointing out that Jenners in combat against Clan forces have low combat
lifespans, and that under their new fire support role they will operate closer
to traditional lines of supply anyway.

There has been some disussion of a field varant substituting short range
missles for the longer range ones, resulting in an urban-oriented brawler quite
similar to the Javelin and with devastating firepower. However, any such units
existing are field refits rather than official variants.

Walking MP: 6
Running MP: 9
Jumping MP: 5 (Standard)
Heat Sinks: Single 10 0.00
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 64 4.00

Armament:
2 LRM-5s – RA
2 LRM-5s – LA
Small Laser – CT
Small Laser – CT
@LRM-5 (24) – 1 ton RT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: So, it’s a Jenner, but for fire support? Interesting. I’m not sure 6 rounds of sustained fire is enough for a fire support design though.

27) Raverrn

quote:

Yabai-Yatsu YBYT-2B
90 tons
Cost: 7,967,080 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,875
Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 25 15.00
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 272 17.50

Armament:
SRM-4 – CT
SRM-4 – RT
SRM-4 – LT
Heavy PPC – RA
Heavy PPC - LA
@SRM-4 (25) – 1 ton HD
@SRM-4 (25) – 1 ton CT

Originally designed as an upgrade package for the Thug battlemech to take advantage of recent advances in PPC technology, the Yabai-Yatsu project quickly spun out of control and over budget. Rewiring of power system led to improvements in targeting and sensor placement and then to cooling systems. In the end the upgrade added a smaller, cheaper fusion engine to combat rising costs and ten tons of armor and weapons to the chassis. It became easier to manufacture the machine whole, and Yori 'Mech Works was chosen, safe away from Luthien. The Yabai-Yatsu is built on an unusual cooling system equally distributed throughout the chassis and limbs. Intended to make switching to newer double heat sinks easier, the system is less efficient, leading to heat problems, but is comparatively much harder to damage. When taken with the Yatsu's 17 tons of armor, the 'mech is extremely hard to kill. Only a direct hit to one of the two missile bays stands a good chance of disabling the machine. Offensively the Heavy PPCs deal as much damage as an Awesome over a comparatively smaller area, and the Yatsu's SRM salvos can wreak havoc through any holes in an opponent's armor. The PPCs are also capable of severing a 'mech's head clean off, something more than one clanner has discovered.

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Still don’t like head-mounted ammo, guys. As far as Thugs go, this one’s pretty damned awesome though.

28) Taerkar

quote:

A languishing design that has seen a bit of a revival with the merger of the two realms, the Lancer seems to be a relic of a bygone time, a jousting mech. Based on the maligned quad mech frame, the Lancer is designed to make quick strikes before disengaging from its foes. Its weapons are limited for such a design but are well suited for the role of the Mech. Its primary weapon is the Heavy PPC, a bulky energy weapon that hits much harder than a normal PPC at the same ranges, but with a corresponding increase in heat generation as well. It is mounted on the right side of the quad's frame, just above the only other weapon the `Mech carries, a SRM-4 launcher. This weapon is carried to exploit the damage that the heavy energy weapon carries and is similar to the SRM-4 rack found on most Panther mechs in the former Draconis Combine.

The mech only has 15 heat sinks, insufficient for handling more than a few shots from the heavy PPC in short succession, but quite capable if the pilot executes the intended method of attack of the Lancer, A few quick strikes before disengaging, allowing for the Mech to cool down before engaging again. With the speed and maneuverability of the quad frame, the `Mech is well suited for such an engagement style.

Unit: Lancer LCR-1DK
Weight: 55 tons

Engine: Core Tek 275
Walking Speed: 54 kph
Running Speed: 86.4 kph
Heat Sinks: 15 Standard

Armor: 10 tons standard

Head: 9
CT (R): 25(6)
L/RT (R): 21(5)
Legs: 17

Equipment:
Heavy PPC - RT
Short Range Missiles, 4-Rack - CT
SRM Ammo – RL

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: As the head, so to the legs. Ammo belongs in the torso and arms. I do like this design otherwise, it’s a fast and heavily armored HPPC. I picture it as a faster, heavier Hunchback.

29) Plek

quote:

Looking to make use of new, experimental technologies and provide the Ryoken with a shiny new design, the Oni is born.

A 100 ton quad-mech with twin HPPCs will provide considerable firepower at a distance and a pair of medium lasers to provide some short range punch. Speed may be lacking, but with substantial armor and jump jets, the Oni can maintain control of its situation in battle.

There are rumors that the Oni may be a "Friend of all children." but this has not been confirmed.

The mech is basically a rectangle with turtle-like legs. Sort of like the scorpion maybe? The cockpit would sit towards center and forward, but a little up, sort of rising above the top of the mech's 'back' and two rows of fins run lengthwise along the left/right torsos. Think therapsid sails. They could be heat sink bits or whatever, but serve mostly to improve on the monstrous imagery that the mech is going for. The twin HPPCs are centerish in the torsos, facing forward, with the twin medium lasers towards the center and offset a little up or down, similar to a spider's eyes.

This may or not be the most optimized design, but pft, this is the Inner Sphere! A walking pair of HPPCs that can jump should be a welcome addition to any potentially insane commander's retinue. I also feel that Quads get the short end of the stick, and are usually kind of ugly as well. Hopefully this design can help fix that.

Oni ONI-P1

Chassis Config: Quad
Cost: 9,368,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,092

Jumping MP: 3 Standard
Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 32 22.00
Actuators: L: H+UL+LL+F R: H+UL+LL+F
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 240 15.00

Heavy PPC – RT
Medium Laser – RT
Heavy PPC – LT
Medium Laser – LT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: I was going to comment at first about this `Mech being a bit bland, but then I realized it’s a Quad. You almost never see a Quad over 80 tons (an 80 ton Quad can mount as much armor as a hundred ton biped). Of course, you’re not really saving any weight, but this beast is a real zombie of a `Mech and it’s definitely earning that massive BV.

30) Ba Donk a Bonk

quote:

Swordsman SWD-01A

Chassis Config:Biped
Cost: 6,947,500C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,619

Jumping MP: 4Standard
Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 17 7.00

Armament:
Heavy PPC – RA
2 SRM-4s – LA
2 Medium Lasers – RT
2 Medium Lasers – LT
@SRM-4 (25) – 1 ton LT

Quick(ish) fluffinstead of a big wall of text:

Retrotech Falconer:designed to meet a similar mission, but with the LP's weird techlevel. Visually similar to both the Marauder andFalconer, with more ofa focus on the Marauder instead of the Falconer's silly, silly legs.A bit of the Marauder II's wings for flavor to represent the addedjump jets.

FlimsyLore Justification: Independence Weaponry, who makes the Marauderand has been fought overconstantly for about three hundred years, is ordered to make a newheavy 'Mech by Hanse Davion now that the DCMS isn't trying to raidit. Not only does the new machine help to replace losses, it alsoprovides a symbol for both sides of the Draconis Suns to rallyaround. Also, it has a more honorable name instead of a synonym forthief/murderer.

RapidlyProduced 'Mech (in a good way): Based off a modified Marauderchassis, the new 'Mech can bequickly produced on existing production lines and provides a solidmix of firepower, increased armor, and mobility, based on a design thathas been feared and respected for centuries. Many of the Marauder'smajor design flaws, like thewaist joint locking up when shot from behind, are corrected.

RapidlyProduced 'Mech (in a bad way): There may be a few minor design flaws,potentially. 'Warriors should overlook the HPPC's love of meltingitself, jamming SRM4s, the immense heat curve, and maybe some of theMarauder's flawsweren't actually fixed.

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: I like that this is an Independence Weaponry design (AKA: That factory the Wolf’s Dragoons nearly destroyed on behalf of House Kurita in 3028-ish). It’s very solid, all around—a bit like a Victor. In fact, I’d say this pretty much is a Victor with a weight reduction and a better secondary armament.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Capellan Entries 1

1) Felime’s Entry

quote:

Baba-Yaga BYA-2X

With the sudden rapid development in 'mech armaments and the seccession of the belligerent Duchy of New Syrtis, the CCAF solicited bids for new battlemech designs. In a collaboration between the Tikonov and Keystone branches of Earthwerks Incorperated, the company has designed the Baba-Yaga.

Designated the BYA-2X, the 100 ton behemoth is designed to act as the backbone for any force. With an armament consisting of a pair of the rediscovered gauss rifles, two prototype MRM10s configured to fire Listen-Kill missiles, and a large laser, it is quite capable of preforming that role on any battlefield, from open terrain to close urban combat.

The Baba-Yaga's initial prototype, retroactively designated the BYA-1X, did not have the mech's distinctive legs. The 1X was mounted on a pair of heavily modified Battlemaster legs, but with the weight of the Baba-Yaga's torso, any attempt to move faster than roughly 20km/h risked the massive mech tearing itself apart. With the 2X, the legs were designed from the bottom up to carry the Baba-Yaga's blocky torso. The new appearance and avian legs earned the Baba-Yaga its name, though with the amount of firepower it can put out, the 'mech is more fortress than witch's cabin.

Baba-Yaga BYA-2X
PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Weight: 100 tons (Assault)
Movement: 3/5
Armor: 288/307 (93%)

Weapons:
Gauss Rifle - LA
Gauss Rifle - RA
MRM-LK 10 - RT
MRM-LK 10 - LT
Large Laser - CT

Ammo
Gauss Ammo – 2 tons LT, 2 tons RT
MRM-LK 10 Ammo – 1 ton LT, 1 tons RT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: A silly amount of ammo, even for an Assault `Mech. 24 turns of fire for the MRM-10s is pretty wishful thinking, but it does mean nobody has to feel bad about shooting every turn. It probably would’ve been beneficial to strip out a ton of MRM ammo and a ton (or two) of Gauss Rifle ammo and sneak in some backup firepower.

2) Rorac’s Entry

quote:

Name: Qiang

60 ton Heavy 'Mech
Movement: 5/8/0
10[15] improved heat sinks

Armament
MRM-40 – LT

Ammo
MRM-40 Improved Listen-Kill Ammo – 2 tons
Hatchet – Right Arm

This 'Mech is designed to be a cheap as hell enemy face remover. The numbers I'm getting put it at about 5.15 million C-bills, so I guess that's pretty good in terms of needing a mech that falls under 'cheap but powerful'. I would like a bit more armor but FF hasn't been invented yet so v v.

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: The Hatchet isn’t a legal weapon for the Capellans (yet); but I’m letting it slide since it’s no longer Steiner-only now that Skye has them too.

3) Picard Day

quote:

Capellan Design: Po

This 'Mech was designed with ambushes in mind and has the low profile to accomplish that goal. It was also designed as a test bed for the new Advanced Listen-Kill MRM system - a weapon system that could change the tide of any war with an unprepared Duchy of New Syrtis, and cheap enough to produce in large quantities. In appearance it is quite similar to the Raven, with chicken-walker legs and non-humanoid arms (which are primarily just MRM pods). However, unlike the Raven the torso lacks the elongated "Beak" of the design, and mounts an additional under-slung MRM pod below the center torso. (You may notice the name is the same as the Po Heavy Tank from the canon storyline. However, as this timeline is quite different and the tank was originally Romano's brainchild, it seems appropriate that she might give the name to an entirely different design.)

Po PO-2L

Mass: 40 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Cost: 2,575,067 C-Bills
Battle Value: 828

Movement: 5/8/0
Heat Sinks: Improved Heat Sink 12[18]
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 120 7.50

Armament
MRM-10 - CT
Flamer - RT
Flamer - LT
MRM-10 - RA
MRM-10 - LA

Ammo
@MRM-10 (24)Improved Listen Kill - 1 ton RT, 1 ton LT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: I really like this one. It’s both high-tech and cheap, and would be a right bastard to fight against.

4) The Merry Marauder

quote:

BLR-1T BattleMaster

Feverish activity at the primary Earthwerks facility on Tikonov have caused a great deal of speculation of late, but initial rumors regarding an entirely new 'Mech design were proven incorrect today, as Earthwerks announced a variant of the venerable BattleMaster, incorporating the most advanced technology available to the Confederation.

Spurred by the campaign against the Free World League, Capellan missile technology has taken great strides, and it seems only prudent that innovations such as the MRM and Listen-Kill warheads be employed on survivable and proven designs, able to leverage their technological advantages over not just a battle, but a full campaign.

Earthwerks seems to have used the 'missile boat' BLR-1S variant of the BattleMaster as a starting point, and the powerful engine and ample armor protection remain unchanged. Still present as well are the famous quadruple battery of Ceres Arms Medium-class Lasers, spread along the broad torso of the 'Mech. The hand-held PPC is gone, however, replaced by an enormous MRM-30 missile pod, slung under the left arm. Designed for use with the bleeding-edge 'Listen-Kill' system, these MRMs will give the BLR-1T fearsome close-range power, especially combined with the Ceres Mediums. To moderate heat, thirteen of the latest Improved Heat Sinks are fitted to the VOX 340 that powers this engine of destruction. To engage targets while closing in, this BattleMaster mounts an LRM-15LK over the left shoulder, where you would see the SRM-6 on a basic model.

Analysts believe that the BLR-1T variant will be produced both as a refit of serving BattleMasters, and in new units from the renovated Tikonov line. There may soon be a breakthrough on the Marik front as these mighty missile boats are brought to bear, and heads will certainly turn in New Syrtis as well!

BLR-1T BattleMaster:
Movement: 4/6
Armor: 14.5 Tons
13[19] Improved Heat Sinks
Weaponry:
MRM-30LK (LA)
2 Tons Ammo (LT)
LRM-15LK (LT)
2 Tons Ammo (RT)
2xMLAS (LT)
2xMLAS (RT)

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: I like refits, they’re logical. Especially since it’s not a huge stretch for the Battlemaster. I wasn’t expecting to see a Battlemaster, but every great house builds them—they’re pretty much your go-to assault for everyone but House Kurita (who get the Charger instead).

5) Leperflesh

quote:

Gôngjî GJI-A (Rooster) GJI-A
PoptartsNinja’s notes: If this `Mech wins, it’s being called the ‘Rooster’ for the sake of my own sanity.

Cost: 5,000,960 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,213

Movement 5/8/0
Primary Factory: Nanking

Overview:
The Gôngjî, which means "Rooster," is an experimental mech designed to field
three new technologies developed by the Capellan Confederation. Named after one
of the twelve members of the traditional chinese zodiac, the rooster is the
first mech in the inner sphere purpose-built to carry the new MRM medium-range
missile launcher. It also debuts the experimental NARC missile beacon, and the
Capellan's Improved Heatsinks.

Capable of launching 30 missiles at a time and with the respectable speed and
armor to allow it to close, the Rooster, it is hoped, will prove to be quite
the surprise to the forces of the Duchy of New Syrtis.

Capabilities:
The Gôngjî fields three torso-mounted MRM-10 launchers, fed by two one-ton
NARC-capable missile bins. A medium laser in each arm provides the mech with
back-up weaponry in case it runs out of ammunition, or for firing into its rear
arc to deter flankers.

Additionally, the mech can fire the Capellan's new NARC homing beacons,
allowing both it and its lance-mates to significantly improve missile accuracy
(provided they also carry NARC-capable homing missiles, of course).

Despite carrying 11 tons of armor, the Gôngjî has a respectable speed for a
60-ton mech, a necessity to bring the MRMs into range.

Battle History:
The very first run of Gôngjî has only just been completed. Although the mech
performed well during prototype trials, it has yet to be tested in combat.

Variants:
Early prototypes of the Gôngjî lacked the NARC system, instead carrying more
armor and an additional medium laser. However, despite its improved-efficiency
heat sinks the Gôngjî was prone to overheating particularly when
alpha-striking. When the NARC system was completed a few months prior to the
first planned trials of the prototype, it was seen as a perfect fit for this
mech's planned medium-range support role. A few of the earliest prototypes of
the Gôngjî equipped with three medium lasers and two additional tons of armor,
along with one more heat sink, may still be developed into an alternate
configuration.

Heat Sinks: 1.5-capacity Heat Sink 11[16]
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 176 11.00

Armament
MRM-10 - CT
MRM-10 - RT
Narc Launcher - RT 0 2 3.00
MRM-10 - LT
Medium Laser – RA
Medium Laser – LA

Ammo
@Narc (Homing) (6) – 1 ton RT
@MRM-10 (48) – 2 tons LT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: It’s a super-raven, and it’s name probably translates more precisely to ‘Cock.’

6) Hob_Gadling

quote:

Some believe the Liao bloodline is cursed. Madness runs within the incest-riddled family lineage and manifests itself every now and then. Sometimes it is a massacre, other times a strange strategic-level order. Fortunately for Capellan Confederation the ruling family has largely stayed out of the practical aspects of building the mech forces. That is, until new prototype tech was located researched.

No one knows exactly why the listen-kill missiles created such a strong reaction in the Chancellor. Some theorize it's the inherent paranoia, although not out loud and certainly not anywhere the spies of the regime could hear. Once LK technology was available, on the order of the Chancellor a mech would be designed and built that took maximum advantage out of them.

The interventions did not end there. A whole new type of missile weapon was forced into the same test bed, despite protests that it would be impossible to know what was caused by the missiles and what by the weapon itself. After a feverish nightmare, the mech was to drop all energy weapons because of "divine commandment". Larger missile racks were ordered to compensate for the lack of firepower. Originally based on the Shadow Hawk chassis, this made the mech extremely lopsided. The MRM rack takes up so much space that cockpit was out of necessity positioned right over the right shoulder of the mech. This in turned caused the loss of all fine control in the arm, so designers in the end decided to drop all the actuators and move LRM tubes to right arm. To some the final proof of insanity was the order to redesign the mechs legs into the chickenwalker retrograde configuration of Marauder and Catapult. Why this was commanded, no one knows. It caused yet another problem for the engineers to solve.

Typically the mech can not stand while gyro is not running. Pilots leave it leaning against buildings or trees, or in the absence of those simply leave the engine running. The lack of mass-produced LK missiles has caused ammunition shortages, and the mech can never wander too far away from supply lines. Ejection mechanism is unreliable to the point that many pilots rather pop open the cockpit and leap out, hoping to survive the fall.

A scant few pilots, mostly former Locust jocks, really like the mech. Once in the right hands it can pull of some seemingly impossible maneuvers. It is also generally considered to be the coolest running mech in the Inner Sphere. These factors aren't enough to save the mech from withering criticism. Just never where the spies of the Throne can hear.

Type: ASE-1 Illuminati, "Liao's Folly"
Tonnage: 55
Cost: 4,637,316 C-bills
Battle Value: 805
Heat Sinks: 10 [15]
Armor Factor: 134 8.5

Weapons and Ammo Location
LRM 15 RA
MRM 40 LT
Ammo (LRM 15 LK) 8 3 tons RT
Ammo (MRM 40 LK) 6 3 tons LT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: That’s… a lot of missiles. And a loooot of ammo for such a small `Mech. It’s also funny as hell.

7) KnoxZone

quote:

Wyvern WVE-7C

Mass: 45 tons
Production Year: 3033
Cost: 3,214,215 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,064

Overview:
Even Maskirovka was caught off guard by the rapidly changing political landscape of 3033. It was decided that a series of quick refits would be needed to get their newest technology onto increasingly hostile borders as soon as possible. One such refit was the Wyvern.

Capabilities:
The WVE-7C removed both the LRM and SRM launchers from the original Wyvern. In their place is a new 30 rack Medium Range Missile launcher. Two tons of Listen-Kill missiles allow the Wyvern to be used in both range and in melee. Ten improved heat sinks still struggle to keep this mech cool.

Heat Sinks: Improved Heat Sink 10[15]
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 136 8.50

Armament:
Large Laser RA
2 Small Lasers RA
MRM-30 RT
@MRM-30 Improved Listen-Kill (16) RT 2 tons

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: That’s actually quite a lot of firepower for a medium `Mech. Sure, the Wyvern’s slow, but in a city…

8) Ferrosol

quote:

Vindicator II VND-2R

Cost: 4,722,824 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,291

Overview:
An upgrade to the venerable Vindicator that is the backbone of the capellan
medium mech forcer The Vindicator II is 10 tons heavier than its parent design
and uses a more powerful engine to drive it to a maximum speed of 86 KM/h.

Capabilities:
The Vindicator II mounts similar firepower to the old Vindicator 1R but
upgrades the lrm 5 to a brand new MRM 20. While the MRM 20 is less accurate and
has a shorter range the CCAF figure the trade off is worth it for the increased
damage it allows its pilots to output.

Battle History:
The Vindicator II has undergone little live fire testing at the moment as
plans to send it to the front against the FWL were disrupted by New Syrtis's
declaration of independence.

Deployment:
This mech is currently being field tested by the loyal mercenary house unit
McCarron's Armored Cavalry and should the design prove successful it will be
assigned to the rest of the CCAF.

Heat Sinks: Improved Heat Sink 11(16) 1.00
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 152 9.50
CASE Locations: LT 0.00 PoptartsNinja’s Notes: NOPE. Nice try, though.

Armament
Medium Laser - HD
MRM-20 - LT
PPC - RA
Small Laser - LA
@MRM-20 (24) LT - 2 tons

9) Vlad Antlerkov

quote:

Essentially an upgraded PLG-1N, with MRM-40s replacing the AC/20s and the heat sinks upgraded to Improved. Also has 19 tons of armor instead of 17. Retains the jump jets and the most important distinguishing feature of the PLG-1N: that goofy rear-mounted head mlaser.

Pillager PLG-2X

Cost: 9,744,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,987 PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Holy poo poo!

Targeting and Tracking System: :iiam:
Jumping MP: 2 Standard
Heat Sinks: Improved Heat Sink 18[27]

Armament
Medium Laser - RA
Medium Laser – LA
MRM-40 – RT
MRM-40 – LT
SRM-4 – CT
(R) Medium Laser – HD
@MRM-40 (12) – 2 tons RT
@MRM-40 (12) – 2 tons LT
@SRM-4 (25) – 1 ton CT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Holy poo poo! I mean, it’s nothing like a Pillager but still, holy poo poo!

10) Captain Foo

quote:

Red River RRV-2I

65t 5/8
iLK MRM-30 RT
Ammo iLK MRM-30 RT
LLAS LT
iHS LT
iHS CT

Armor 10t

This mech was built to leverage the new Improved Listen-Kill MRM system
in a package that didn't sacrifice speed. 30 Missiles per shot seek the
holes opened up by the laser on the other side of the mech. While ammo
may be limited, the Red River maintains flexibility with empty hands
for bashing opposing mechs in the head. The Red River was named after the
lead designer Ivan Chen saw the torrent of fire tearing out of the speedy
mech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Capellan Entries 2

11) LeschNyhan

quote:

The Qi Bin forms the linchpin of a new Narc missile doctrine for the Capellan Confederation. Although iLK missiles have recently become available, the need to replace the entire LRM launcher rather than just the ammunition makes widespread use of the new technology an expensive proposition. The Narc missile beacon, on the other hand, can be a significant force multiplier for existing fire support lances.

To that end, the Qi Bin provides a tough and mobile delivery platform for the beacon. With a top speed of over 80 kph, it can catch most heavies and assaults, and can out-pace or match most trooper-weight mechs in its weight class.

Twin MRM-10 launchers provide a significant close-range punch to deter lighter mechs from coming too close. They can also provide a heavy barrage to supplement the support lances' fire to exploit holes left in armor or seek out vulnerabilities.

The Qi Bin carries enough ammunition to mark a full company of 'mechs if it is successful with every shot. The Narc launcher and its reserve ammunition are located in the center torso and head respectively, allowing it to fulfil its primary mission even severely damaged.

Other variants of the Qi Bin are planned for release to recently adopted mercenary units as well as to Warrior Houses. Mercenary units are slated to receive versions without improved heat sinks, and the warrior houses might elect to have iLK MRM launchers instead of regular MRMs.

Qi Bin Q1B-1N

Mass: 50 tons
Cost: 3,975,500 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,081

Heat Sinks: Improved Heat Sink 13[19]
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 168

Armament
MRM-10 - RT
Medium Laser - RT
MRM-10 – LT
Medium Laser – LT
Narc Launcher - CT
@Narc (Homing) – 1 ton RT
@MRM-10 (24) – 1 ton LT
@Narc (Homing) – 1 ton HD

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: I’m really not a fan of head-mounted ammo.

12) GenericServices

quote:

Striker STC-2E (Capellan Confederation)

Quick Summary for PTN: Take STC-2C, change to improved heat sinks, remove AC/5, add MRM20 plus one heat sink. BV calculated by briefly changing to twelve double heat sinks in SSW to allow proper heat calculation; baseline SSW file employs sixteen singles (I can provide those files for both 'Mechs, if you desire them). Variant is a reasonably durable assault 'Mech with improved heat management and greater, though less accurate, firepower.

Cost: 7,716,720 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,592

Heat Sinks: Improved Heat Sink [16]24

Armament
Medium Laser - HD
2 Medium Lasers - CT
PPC - RT
Large Laser - LT
MRM-20 - LA
@MRM-20 (12) LT – 1 ton

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Interesting, it’s a bit like the bastard child of a Cataphract and an Awesome.

13) T.G. Xarbala

quote:

Raven RVN-1HK
"Bloodbeak"
They Weren't Supposed To Pick This One

During the second phase of the Great CCAF Modernization Plan, a number of proposals were tossed about to take advantage of the Confederation's new and improved missile technology. One particular advance was more of a sidestep, as these "all-purpose missiles" were, like SRMs, lacking in guidance systems. The combination of extended fuel boosters and lack of targeting aids made Medium-Range Missiles unreliable and almost a novelty. Improvements in Listen-Kill technology, designed to defeat anti-LK countermeasures, helped turn MRMs into a competitive weapon system. At the slight expense of range, that is. Similar sacrifices were made in iLK LRMs, however, reducing their effective range to that of a PPC while dramatically reducing the notorious minimum-range arming issue standard LRMs have been known to face.

One of the many filler proposals put forward, the RVN-1HK Raven exists solely to make the other, more serious proposals look good in comparison. Instead of taking advantage of the brand-new LRM tech, this light 'Mech replaces its comically-sized Electronic Warfare equipment with an even more ludicrously-sized MRM-40 Launcher fit with iMRM ammunition. As the Raven is a dedicated EWar machine, nobody really expected this proposal to gain any ground, especially since it meant refitting scout-and-interdiction machines into hard-hitting, pack-hunting infighters. To avoid balance issues, the side-torso mounted launcher was altered to "fold over" on top of the rest of the body. Should this ever be put into production, it would be the first Light 'Mech armed with a main weapon larger than its own torso.

However, when the proposals were being reviewed, something happened along the way that nobody expected. There were talks of a new EWar 'Mech being designed by Justin Xiang's own private department, entrusted to him by the Chancellor herself. There was a growing fear that their scores of RVN-1X Ravens suddenly being obsoleted, so any new Raven proposals were viewed favorable. (The alternate possibility that the Ravens would be upgraded with new Electronics was written off out of hand.) A prototype "Missileback" Raven was built, nicknamed "The Turkey" for its comically misshappen appearance. In opening live-fire tests, however, the RVN-1HK (Hunter-Killer) proved comparable to its nearest tactical equivalent, the Hunchback. Greater overall damage, higher speed, longer range, and much lower weight, countered only by a lack of raw penetration and smaller ammo capacity. Alone, the Turkey was formidable. Combined with a "holepuncher" Gauss-based platform, like the infamous UM-R60G Urbanmech, however, this fowl is absolutely lethal.

It remains to be seen if the RVN-1HK will enter the final stages of the competition or if it will fall by the wayside in favor of the more serious proposals. However, Hellespont is hopeful, as even Justin Xiang himself was intrigued by the design. There was talk of adopting fast-moving, hard-striking infighters to complement the CCAF's already fearsome ranged firepower, and the new Raven was now seen as a serious competitor. Citizen Xiang even gave the prototype Turkey-Raven a new nickname. "Bloodbeak."

Mass: 35 tons
Cost: 2,549,925 C-Bills
Battle Value: 859

Movement 5/8/0
Armor: 5.5 tons, Hellespont Lite Standard
Heat Sinks: 10, IHS (15)

Armament
MRM-40 – LT
Medium Laser – RA
@iLK MRM-40 (6) – 1 ton HD PoptartsNinja’s Notes I still hate head-mounted ammo.

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: Ahahaha, it’s like strapping a pair of LRM-20s on a Raven! I love it!

14) b0lt

quote:

Huli Jing HLJ-000

Mass: 45 tons
Cost: 3,790,808 C-Bills
Battle Value: 936

Walking MP: 6
Running MP: 9
Heat Sinks: (IS) Improved Heat Sink 10[15]
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 96 6.000

(IS) MRM-40 – RA
@MRM-40 (6) – RT
@MRM-40 (6) – HD PoptartsNinja’s Notes: You guys realize I’m moving all head-mounted ammo to less stupid locations, right?

A 6/9/0 with a weapon that's basically a better version of the LB 20-X? :black101:
Who needs a left torso? :colbert:

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: b0lt pretty much said it already

15) AJ_Impy

quote:

Hot on the heels of the Gauss urbie comes a cheap fire support 'mech designed to be fielded in bulk to make the most of the new improved listen-kill missile technology. These squat, low-profile 'mechs are most distinguished by the massive dorsal-mounted LRM-20 launcher, its skyward-pointing aspect lending the little 'mech its name. The humble exterior conceals a deadly loadout: the LRM-20 has two reloads worth of the new missiles, giving reasonable longevity to such a small 'mech. The design is perfect for indirect fire tactics, is cost-effective and quick to field, attributes that endear it to Capellan commanders far more than the armor coverage appeals to the mechwarriors piloting it.

Pepperpot PPT-1A

Weight: 25 tons
Movement: 4/6
Engine: 100
Internal: 43 Armor: 56/89

Armament
LRM-20 - LT

Ammo
LRM 20 Listen-Kill Ammo – LT 2 tons

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: It’s beautiful!

16) Zod Mary Annette

quote:

MSO-14 Maestro

The high heat profile of this new line heavy would have made it unfeasible were it not for the 12 improved heat sinks it carries. Despite the 50% boost in cooling they provide, Maestro pilots must still practice discretion in their firing patterns.

Paired PPCs provide a heavy punch at range, supplemented by twin LRM-5 racks in the mech's chest. A brace of lasers discourage opponents intent on closing. This loadout brings exactly twice as much firepower to the field as the ubiquitous Vindicator, while matching that mech's movement and range profiles as well. The design team's original name for their creation, though, the "Duplicator" was deemed "frivolous" and quickly suppressed.

65 tons (Heavy)
4/6/4
12 Improved Heat Sinks (18 cooling power, 10 in engine)
11 tons standard armor (176 pts.)

Equipment:
PPC – LA
PPC – RA
ILK LRM-5 – LT
ILK LRM-5 Ammo – LT
2x Medium Laser – RT
Small Laser – HD
Small Laser - CT

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: I’m running out of useful things to say, but this is a solid all-around heavy hitter. Like a baby Warhammer with better long-range firepower.

17) jng2058

quote:

Type: LQD-1X Liquidator
Tonnage: 85

Jumping MP: 3
Heat Sinks: 21 11.0
Armor Factor: 263 16.5

Weapons and Ammo Location
Medium Laser CT
Heavy PPC LA
HVAC/10 RA
Ammo(AC) 8 RT 1 1.0
Ammo(AC-Guide) 8 RT 1 1.0

History:
Taking the venerable Enforcer to the next level, the LQD-1X Liquidator retains the older Mech's Autocannon + Energy weapon configuration while keeping 75% of its mobility in a chassis with nearly twice the durability. The Heavy PPC and Hypervelocity Autocannon primary weapons give the Liquidator better range and more punch than the old Enforcer had, with a standard medium laser replacing the older machine's Small Laser.

For all that its functionality is similar, the Liquidator is forced to make some compromises. For one thing, between having only sixteen shots for the HVAC and the tempermental nature of the Heavy PPC, it is possible for a Liquidator pilot to find himself in an Assault Mech with only a Medium Laser still firing. Further, the heat sinks are not quite capable of handling the massive heat generated by the Heavy PPC, leading to overheating if too much is attempted, especially while jumping. Finally, space and weight concerns forced the designers to omit the Acid HVAC rounds entirely. Though this decision was a hard one, it was decided that to keep the Mech viable against non-Clan opponents, such as New Syrtis, the Acid rounds were more expendable than the Guided or Standard rounds were.

Nevertheless, the Liquidator remains a powerful machine, especially at range. What's more, by focusing construction at the Achernar factories on New Avalon, the prized Assault Mech is kept far from the front lines of the Clan War, on a world whose loss would probably spell the end of the Draconis Suns.

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: It’s a bit slow for an 85 tonner, but it’s hard to fit both a Heavy PPC and HV/ACs into a `Mech

18) Shoeless

quote:

The mech in question is a refit of the CC Catapult C4 mech, designed to turn the long range fire support mech into a generalist with a predilection for urban fighting. Removing the standard LRM 20s, the mech instead mounts a single MRM 30 with special new LK missiles in the left arm, managing to approximate almost as much firepower as the weapons it replaces with no minimum range, giving it an unprecedented close range punch. Two tons of ammunition should be enough to see the mech through most combats. Meanwhile, the right arm sees a PPC installed for longer range combat,providing a solid punch. Fifteen improved heat sinks provide 22 theoretical units of dissipation, allowing the Double C to fire most of its weapons even while jumping with minimal heat buildup.

Catapult CPLT-CC

Cost: 5,588,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,300

Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 15[22]
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 160 10.00

Armament
2 Small Lasers – CT
PPC – RA
MRM-30 – LA
@MRM-30 (8) RT - 1 1.00
@MRM-30 (8) LT - 1 1.00

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: It’s the Catapult we just saw, but with better medium-range stopping power. Creepy!

19) Helter Skelter

quote:

Hound HND-1B

Cost: 6,965,438 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,462

Heat Sinks: Improved Heat Sink 14(21)

Armament
Small Laser – HD
2 Medium Lasers – RT
Narc Launcher – RA
MRM-40 (Improved Listen-Kill) – LA
@Narc (Homing) (12) – RT 2 tons
@MRM-40 (Improved Listen-Kill) (12) – LT 2 tons

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: A neat all-around heavy.

20) AtomikKrab

quote:

This is my submission for the CCAF mech. It is a Stalker in homage to the poor fellow who got taken out at the end of the rolling thunder mission. It is using the improved heatsinks, and listen kill mrm 40s and lrm 5s. The ton of ammo in the head is intentional and I feel every mech deserves a design flaw or two somewhere. I have made some slight adjustments to names in the file to make clear that this is using the equipment listed.

Stalker STK-3X

Cost: 7,368,550 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,548

Heat Sinks: Improved Heat Sink 20[30]

Armament
MRM-40 iLK – RA
MRM-40 iLK – LA
LRM-5 iLK – RT
LRM-5 iLK – LT
2 Small Lasers – CT
@MRM-40 iLK (12) – 2 tons RT
@MRM-40 iLK (12) – 2 tons LT
@LRM-5 iLK (24) 1 ton HD

PoptartsNinja’s Notes: I dislike the center-torso mounted lasers, and the head-mounted ammo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Capellan Entries 3

21) landcollector

quote:

The Catapult CLPT-1IM is my entry for the Capellan Confederation. It has a movement profile of 4/6/4 and 10 tons of standard armor. It mounts a PPC, a specialized MRM-20 with one ton of the Listen-Kill MRM ammo (the standard ammo used in the text file is a placeholder), and 4 Medium Lasers. It will mount 16 of the improved heat sinks giving a heat dissipation capacity of 24, not the 16 seen in the file. My basis for the design was the -H2 model.

Catapult CPLT-1IM

Cost: 5,653,175 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,349

Heat Sinks: Impvd Heat Sink 16[24] 6.00
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 160 10.00

Armament:
MRM-20 ¨C RA
PPC ¨C LA
2 Medium Lasers ¨C RT
2 Medium Lasers ¨C LT
@MRM-20 (12) ¨C RA 1 ton Impvd LK RA

PoptartsNinja¡¯s Notes: It¡¯s pretty cute, but possibly a bit unfocused.

22) vorebane

quote:

TJU 2-07 T¨± Ji¨´ U+016b U+00F9 PoptartsNinja's Notes: Nice ascii reference; but your `Mech name breaks SomethingAwful :argh:
Weight: 60 tons (Heavy)
Heat Sinks: 12 [18] Improved
Movement:4/6/4
Armament:
MRM 10 ¨C RT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 15, Range:(L:15 M:8 S:3))

MRM 10 ¨C LT (Heat: 4,Ammo: 15, Range: (L:15 M:8 S:3))

MRM 10 ¨C LT (Heat: 4,Ammo: 15, Range: (L:15 M:8 S:3))

3.0 tons standard MRM ammunition

Narc Launcher RT (Heat: 0, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3))

1.0 ton homing Narc Launcher ammunition
Medium Laser ¨C RA (Heat: 3,Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3))
Medium Laser ¨C LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9M:6 S:3))

The T¨±Ji¨´'s development has been fraught by mothballs, guesswork andmandated design change. For years, its chassis designlanguished only on tapes in Hellespont Industrials' physical medialibrary, a single half made prototype and a kludge of a diagnostictool are the only other remnants of the design, all testament to somedecades old shaming. Even the Battlemech's original designation hadbeen lost. Yet the Liao mandate to industry has sent the companyscrambling even into its halls of half deleted shame to meet demand. The design team assigned to the project, named Good Luck ReadingTape, soon discovered that the chassis was extraordinarily stable innearly every weight configuration trial, and masterfully incorporateda uniquely versatile set of hardpoints and shoulder joints. Struckby a mood of secrecy, the senior members of the team swore to designand simulate as many potential designs possible, to overwhelm thedesign process with precisely political designs. Early efforts ofprototyping showed that the hardpoint diagrams were woefullyincomplete, but their utility for weight trials was a boon todevelopment. Integration of designs to modern armament hardpointsproved marginally possible, though most propsals would require extrasolder. The grand plan was foiled, half done, when a low-weighttemplate, intended for mass production of designs, was mistakenlyentered for prototyping production by a junior mechanic, intimidatedbeyond all reason by a lead designer from outside the GLRT team. This template implemented both the improved heat sinks and wascapable of racking every size of the MRM technology, but theunambitious engine, owing to a belated realization of a host offaulty design assumptions about the ingeniously spacious enginecompartment, coupled with a near lack of armament, earned the designa new mark of shame. To birdcalls of derision, the design was handedthe mocking T¨± Ji¨´ name, as simulations putting it to the test hadfound it losing to several 40 ton 'mechs, and the 'mech was deemed asquat carrion feeder too weak and slow to finish off even thewounded, surviving by hopping about the battlefield, bluffing withvast and empty weapons bays. The T¨± Ji¨´ team, unwilling to giveaway the game entirely, convinced Hellespont executives the chassiswas still capable of performing given refinement, and produced alltheir subsequent designs from the exposed template. The unambitiousdesign of the only T¨± Ji¨´ model approved for production is theresult of being put on that political backfoot, denied access to thenew technologies or much of extant weapons. As a result of a lastminute renewed demand for use, all production models of the T¨±Ji¨´ have been outfitted with the NARC Launcher and an additionalMRM-10, absolutely squelching attempts to outfit the T¨± Ji¨´ withlarge lasers or any larger MRM racks, a move emblematic of HellespontIndustrials' disdain for the design.

PoptartsNinja¡¯s Notes: Wall of text! Wherever possible, I do present these as I receive them. A few people get minor edits, but I can¡¯t even begin to unravel this.

23) Talon775 (an UnGoon)

quote:

Here's my entry for the Capellan Confederation 'mech: the Jiang-shi (YES, GRATUITOUS CHINESE. BUT I'M PART CHINESE SO THAT MAKES IT OKAY SOMEHOW).

FLUFF:

The Jiang-shi is aimed to be a multi-purpose 'mech, much like its other Ceres-Arms produced cousin, the Vindicator. As such, it is very well-armored for a medium 'mech, and it carries a range of weaponry that allows it to engage enemies from differing ranges. However, it also has decent speed for a 'mech its size; as such, it can be deployed to quickly maneuver to reinforce holes in defensive lines, and stay alive for a decent amount of time.

The Large Laser the Jiang-shi carries lacks the range of the Ceres-Arms Smasher PPC, but still offers a solid medium/long-range option for its pilots. As an enemy closes in, the Jiang-Shi can then utilize its single head-mounted Medium Laser and MRM-launchers, allowing it a decent medium-range punch. Though the i-LK ammunition that the Jiang-shi carries cuts down on the maximum range of the MRM launchers by approximately 90 meters, it also improves the accuracy of the MRM system significantly. More than one test-pilot has expressed surprise at the narrower spread that the "missile hose" on the Jiang-shi has. Lastly, the Jiang-shi mounts a flamer in its left arm to deal with enemy infantry or to create obfuscating smokescreens.

The experimental Improved Heat Sinks that the Jiang-shi carries improves its heat-dissipating capability by approximately 50%, thus allowing more energy-based weaponry to be mounted on the chassis without worrying about excessive heat. This is not to say that Jiang-shi pilots can execute alpha-strikes all the time, however: this 'mech can quickly overheat if the pilot is careless with firing all of its weapons, or firing too many salovs while jumping at the same time.

CAPABILITIES (NON-FLUFF):

The mech was named "Jiang-shi", after the mythical zombies in old Terran Chinese mythology, due in large part to the 11.5 tons of armor that protects it. While it can't suck the life-force from enemy battlemechs, it is fairly agile, and can dodge heavier opponents while still packing a decent medium-range punch with its weaponry.

While the Ceres corporation intended the Jiang-shi to be a capable multi-purpose 'mech, it may truly shine as a backstabbing 'mech; its decent speed and jumping ability allows it to outmaneuver most enemy heavy 'mechs, and its large laser/MRM salvos can strip away a decent amount of armor from enemy 'mechs. Ideally, this 'mech should be deployed with other hole-punching mechs (i.e. 'mechs with PPCs or Gauss Rifles); thus, if the Jiang-shi is allowed to flank enemy 'mechs, the enemy force is presented with some unattractive choices: either divide their forces to go after this heavily-armored jumpy 'mech, or turn their backs on it and watch their rear armor get stripped. It also has a fair amount of crit-seeking ability with its twin MRM-10s (the iLK-missiles help out a *ton* with this). In addition, the Jiang-shi can also start fires with its flamer, making life very inconvenient for pursuers or bushwhackers.

TECHNICAL STUFF:
JGS-01 Jiang-shi

Cost: 4,807,532 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,311

Heat Sinks: Improved Heat Sink 10 (15) 0.00
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 184 11.50

Armament:
Medium Laser ¨C HD
Large Laser ¨C RT
MRM-10s ¨C LT
Flamer ¨C LA
@MRM-10 (i-LK) (24) ¨C 1 ton LT

PoptartsNinja¡¯s Notes: Our first non-Goon entry, and it¡¯s¡­ pretty good, honestly.

24) Tempest_56

quote:

Stalker STK-3C

Cost: 7,386,875 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,653

Overview:
Pressed by the rogue Duchy of New Syrtis, the Capellan Confederation needed to
get more firepower to the field quickly. New advances in weapons technology
held promise, but war promised to break out at any time and creating a new
platform to carry those weapons would take time. Rather than make such a
long-term investment, it was instead decided to use an existing and prolific
chassis that would pose a significant threat to the Duchy's forces - the
Stalker.

One of the most venerable assault mech in the Inner Sphere, the Stalker was in
plentiful supply and already packed a significant punch. But Liao designers
knew they could make more of it. To start from, the transition to improved heat
sinks not only freed up space inside the mech's frame but abated the unit's
historical issues with heat during intense engagements. Some of the space was
used to suppliment the Stalker's already potent armor, but the rest was put
into weaponry.

The new Medium Range Missile System replaced the existing mixture of SRM and
LRM launchers - reducing the supply chain. While this cost the urban-centric
battlemech some extreme range power, it gave it greater punch at medium range
and matched up well with the existing Large Laser mounts. Those paired mounts
were supplimented by a third central one, making the -3C the most powerful
medium range machine in the Sphere. Short range firepower was also boosted,
adding another pair of the staple medium lasers to further punish anything that
got close.

The result? A battlemech with massive raw firepower, heavy armor and a 360
degree arc of fire. The deployment of such mechs in urban centers around the
Confederation/Duchy border would hopefully act as a significant deterent
against Syrtian aggression. And if not, an insurance policy to make the
attackers pay dearly for threatening the worlds of Liao.

Heat Sinks: Single 16[24] 6.00
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 224 14.00

Armament:
3 Medium Lasers ¨C RA
MRM-20 ¨C RA
3 Medium Lasers ¨C LA
MRM-20 ¨C LA
Large Laser ¨C RT
Large Laser ¨C LT
Large Laser ¨C CT
@MRM-20 (12) ¨C 2 tons RA
@MRM-20 (12) ¨C 2 tons LA

PoptartsNinja¡¯s Notes: This is¡­ actually really good. MRM-20s seem to be the go-to weapon for people this time around. They¡¯re really cost effective for their weight/size, so that¡¯s not surprising.

25)Raverrn

quote:

Xue Diao XDO-X1

Cost: 4,342,250 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,080
Heat Sinks: 'Improved' Heat Sink 10[15]
Actuators: L: SH+UA R: SH+UA+LA+H

Armament:
Medium Laser ¨C CT
MRM-20 ¨C RT
MRM-20 ¨C LT
Medium Laser ¨C LA
@MRM-20 LK (12) ¨C 1 ton RT
@MRM-20 LK (12) ¨C 1 ton LT

PoptartsNinja¡¯s Notes: Bonus-points for the excessively large medium laser in the left arm

26) Coarsest Grate

quote:

Hey. Here's my entry for the Cappies.

With the addition of new tech to the Capellan arsenal, House Liao decided to use the Orion as a test bed.

First, the techs take a standard ON1-K and strip out every weapon except the two Medium Lasers, as well as 2 tons of armor. Next, they replace the Single Heat Sinks with new Improved Heat Sinks, and add two more for a total of 12. A LRM-20 rack is put in the left torso to replace the LRM-15 and SRM-4, and a new MRM-40 rack is put in the right torso to replace the AC/10. Both racks get 2 tons of ammo to help battlefield longevity. And, as an added twist, both missile racks have been modified to make use of the new Improved Listen-Kill technology.

Not only is this a chance to prove the worth of these new technologies in combat, it's also a chance for the Orion to prove its worth to the Capellans, and maybe find its way back into general production.

(Because the FWL shouldn't get to have all the fun.)

Orion ON1-L

Cost: 6,762,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,482

Heat Sinks: Improved Heat Sink 12(18) 2.00

MRM-40 (Improved Listen-Kill) ¨C RT
Medium Laser ¨C RA
LRM-20 (Improved Listen-Kill) ¨C LT
Medium Laser ¨C LA
@MRM-40 (12) ¨C 2 tons RT
@LRM-20 (12) ¨C 2 tons RT

PoptartsNinja¡¯s Notes: A good design, but it¡¯s really hard to sell me on a variant for a `Mech a nation doesn¡¯t actively produce.

27) Plek

quote:

Ok, here is the Huang He , a prototype for the Capellan Confederation. It relies on the twin large lasers and LRM-5s to soften a target at range so that its faster, lighter, brethren can move in for the kill and hopefully has the armor necessary to close the distance itself and bring its full laser compliment to bear on an enemy if necessary. Jump jets provide added mobility needed for a 'mech that may be fighting in hills or a forest one week, and a city in the next.

I'd like to imagine the 'mech looking somewhat like an over-large Raven (PoptartsNinja¡¯s Notes: You and everyone else who submitted a `Mech for the Capellans; but that¡¯s not a bad thing since the Raven is wonderfully distinctive), though with the 3 medium lasers towards the center, and sans "beak," and the large lasers on mounts to the side, obscuring the cockpit's peripherals.

The skunkwerks output is below, and with improved heatsinks should provide 24 cooling, not 16. The LRMs are modifed to make use of the improved LK technology as well. Heatsinks are located with (1) in each arm, (2) in left torso and (2) in right torso.;

Huang He HHE-Prototype
Cost: 5,496,425 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,358

Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 16[24]
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 176 11.00

Armament:
Medium Laser ¨C CT
LRM-5 ¨C RT
Medium Laser ¨C RT
LRM-5 ¨C LT
Medium Laser ¨C LT
Large Laser ¨C RA
Large Laser ¨C LA
@LRM-5 (24) ¨C CT

PoptartsNinja¡¯s Notes: As a `Mech? This one¡¯s solid. As an over-large Raven? Sorry, I don¡¯t see it. One of the Raven¡¯s biggest claims to fame is how asymmetrical it is. It¡¯s a good design, but it¡¯s too symmetrical for a Raven-successor. The Capellans don¡¯t care a lot for symmetry, most of the time.

28) Thijs van (an unGoon)

quote:

Jiang Shi JIA-SH-X

Cost: 4.322.000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1.056

Heat Sinks: Improved Heat Sink 10[15]
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 144 9,00

Armament:
SRM-4 ¨C CT
SRM-4 - RT
LK MRM-10 ¨C RT
SRM-4 ¨C LT
LK MRM-10 ¨C LT
@SRM-4 (Inferno) (25) ¨C RT
@SRM-4 (25) ¨C LT
@LK MRM-10 (24) ¨C LT

PoptartsNinja¡¯s Notes: This `Mech is a real bastard of a design. I really like the standardized infernos, but I keep waffling about it having too much SRM-4 ammo. Given the opportunity, I¡¯d also shuffle the armament around since I dislike `Mechs without arm-mounted weapons and since the Capellans love their asymmetry.

29) Taerkar

quote:

The right arm of the mech is taken from a Marauder, showing the usual paring of PPC and Medium Laser together. One of theimproved heatsinks is also in that arm to help dissipate the heat generated by the weapons. The other side of the mech is grafted together from Orion parts salvaged during the fighting both now and in the past with the Free Worlds League. A SRM-4 launcher is built around the left arm as is typical with Orions, but the medium laser in that arm was removed to allow for the installation of the new NARC missile beacon. Both a ton of NARC Beacons and special NARC-guided SRM ammo are in the arm as well. The LRM rack of the Orion was removed so that it could be replaced with an MRM-30 launcher, giving the mech improved firepower from medium range into close, with only a marginal reduction in long range effectiveness.

Unfortunately due to the incompatibility of the two parent mechs the end result of the Cataphract had to be reduced in size somewhat so that the unbalanced weight would not overwhelm the `Mech's chassis. This has resulted in a new unit five tons lighter than the two mechs it was made from.

Unit: Cataphract CTF-1L
Weight: 70 tons

Engine: GM 280
Walking Speed: 43.2 kph
Running Speed: 64.8 kph
Heat Sinks: 12[18] Improved

Armor: 12 tons standard

Armament:
PPC - RA
Medium Laser - RA
Medium Range Missiles, 30-Rack - LT
MRM Ammo x2 - LT
Short Range Missiles, 4-Rack - LA
NARC Missile Beacon Launcher - LA
SRM Ammo (NARC) - LA
NARC Beacons - LA

PoptartsNinja¡¯s Notes: Nice to see someone using a NARC beacon!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 8, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
`Mech Design Contest 2

Alright, it's time for that thing everyone loves doing: mocking people! Voting!

Because of the sheer number of entrants, I'm going to go over the rules for the contest again:

Two winners will be chosen by the thread. From the `Mechs remaining, I will chose my personal favorite to be our third victor. In addition to honor and glory and (hopefully) seeing a `Mech they designed fielded in the thread, the winners will probably get to name one of our ever-diminishing number of Clan `Mechs. Quite possibly even one of the new Steel Viper and Jade Falcon designs.

The `Mechs:

Are listed here.

Draconis Suns Entries:
DS1) Meteor by Rorac
DS2) Tadakatsu by Picard Day
DS3) Lion by Hob_Gadling
DS4) Victor by The Merry Marauder
DS5) Tachi by AJ_Impy
DS6) Yari by Shoeless
DS7) Mackie by KnoxZone
DS8) Battlemaster by dis astranagant
DS9) Caliburn by Ferrosol
DS10) Sunfire by Captain Foo
DS11) Wildebeest by Leperfish Leperflesh
DS12) Super Dragon by LeschNyhan
DS13) Sentry by Vlad Antlerkov
DS14) Jagermech by GenericServices
DS15) Shadow Hawk by T.G. Xarbala
DS16) Sniper by b0lt
DS17) Yorinaga by TildeATH
DS18) Gunslinger by Magni
DS19) Kensai Kami by Magni
DS20) Ryo-Guchi by Helter Skelter
DS21) Aggressor by Quornes
DS22) Battlemaster by landcollector
DS23) Sparrow by vorebane
DS24) Gunslinger by Talon775 (an unGoon)
DS25) Amaterasu by Thijs van (an unGoon)
DS26) Jenner by Tempest_56
DS27) Yabai-Yatsu by Raverrn
DS28) Lancer by Taerkar
DS29) Oni by Plek
DS30) Swordsman by Ba Donk a Bonk

Capellan Confederation Entries:
CC1) Baba-Yaga by Felime
CC2) Qiang by Rorac
CC3) Po by Picard Day
CC4) Battlemaster by The Merry Marauder
CC5) G¨­ngj¨© Rooster by Leperflesh
CC6) Illuminati by Hob_Gadling
CC7) Wyvern by KnoxZone
CC8) Vindicator II by Ferrosol
CC9) Pillager by Vlad Antlerkov
CC10) Red River by Captain Foo
CC11) Qi Bin by LeschNyhan
CC12) Striker by GenericServices
CC13) Raven by T.G. Xarbala
CC14) Huli Jing by b0lt
CC15) Pepperpot by AJ_Impy
CC16) Maestro by Mary Annette
CC17) Liquidator by jng2058 (whoops, this one's a DS `Mech. My bad)
CC18) Catapult by Shoeless
CC19) Hound by Helter Skelter
CC20) Stalker by AtomikKrab
CC21) Catapult by landcollector
CC22) T¨± Ji¨´ by vorebane
CC23) Jiang-shi by Talon775(an unGoon)
CC24) Thijs Stalker by Tempest_56
CC25) Xue Diao by Raverrn
CC26) Orion by Coarsest Grate
CC27) Huang He by Plek
CC28) Jiang Shi by Thijs van (an unGoon)
CC29) Cataphract by Taerkar

Voters:
Vote for any three `Mechs from these lists; just remember: only one Capellan Confederation `Mech can win, so if you vote from two CapCon `Mechs, one of your votes will be wasted. The two `Mechs with the highest votes will win.

Voting format:

Bold the designation (such as: CC13 or DS9) of your three choices.

Put them somewhere where they're easy for me to see. If you vote for a `Mech or a person and don't include the designation and I don't count your vote, tough poo poo. This is for my sanity: if I don't know who you're voting for at a glance, I probably won't look very hard.

Other than that? Go hog wild. Convince each other which is the best. Make the people who make a snap vote regret their decision with persuasive arguments. You know how this works, so have fun!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oops, sent the detailed stats to T.G. Xarbala and not you. Who doesn't like a Battlemaster that can fly
code:
Battlemaster BLR-1KD

Cost: 8,758,393 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,752

Internal Structure: Standard                     130 points                8.50
Engine:             Fusion Engine                340                      27.00
    Jump Jet Locations: 2 CT, 1 LT, 1 RT                                   4.00
Heat Sinks:         Single Heat Sink             19                        9.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT, 2 LL, 2 RL
Gyro:               Standard                                               4.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA+H    R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV - 232                 14.50

Internal       Armor      
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     27           36        
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  9         
                                           L/R Torso     18           27        
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  9         
                                             L/R Arm     14           23        
                                             L/R Leg     18           30        

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heavy PPC                                    RA        15        4        10.00
2 Medium Lasers                              LA        6         2         2.00
2 Medium Lasers                              RT        6         2         2.00
Medium Laser                                 LT        3         1         1.00

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 8, 2012

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I consider ammo to be safer in the legs than in the torso for non-CASE designs. Especially when it would likely be either the only crit or one of the only crits in that location. Legs can take a lot of beating and at worst it's a 20% chance of being hit with a crit for the first roll.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

I consider ammo to be safer in the legs than in the torso for non-CASE designs.

Oh, I know the reasoning behind it. I just don't like seeing it since it's not something that you see in real designs unless you've got a leg-mounted SRM-2 (and even then, the ammo's likely to be in the torso). If a design with leg- or head-mounted ammo is chosen, it's going to be bumped into the nearest logical torso slot when I do the raws.

VVV They're just my thoughts, not anything I'm basing any voting on. The `Mech probably looks more like a tiny Viking.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 8, 2012

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Yeah, I'm pretty terrible at writing up descriptions but I am going to claim ignorance on my description of the Huang He as raven-like. I don't know enough about Capellan 'Mechs to pull up similar imagery. Let's imagine the marketing firm making the allusion being liquidated for the offense.

Oh look, if a Men Shen could somehow be made uglier by adding some torso on each side, losing the top-mounted launcher and replacing the legs with a pair that has fewer knees a fair approximation is made.

^^^ Or that. Heh.

Plek fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
5 minutes after sending in my design I realized it's not very good at all. You can just count it out.

• Locked thread