Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It turns out Mechwarriors aren't actually piloting the mechs at all, their antics just provide moral support for the advanced AIs that actually operate the mechs. The most talented mechwarriors are actually those whose flailing attempts to appear in control are most entertaining to the drama-minded mech-brain.

And while we're at it, turn four, Hollander, legged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

when a superior version of the same device could easily be built into the 'mech's computers.

I'm pretty sure the DI computer does have its own 'inner ear.' The trick is, it doesn't know how to process the data without overcorrecting and falling over anyway. That's where the `Mech pilot comes in, even if the only one to ever really touch on what it means to be connected to a Battlemech is Robert N. Charrette.

Fil5000 posted:

If I remember rightly, there's no actual CONTROL happening with the helmets (unless you're one of those Word of Blake Super Cyborg Ninja Death Commandos of Doom), it's literally just plugging into your sense of balance.

This is countermanded later on.

`Mechs can move: walk, and not fall over (citation: Victor Milan's Hearts of Chaos) without a pilot wearing a Neurohelmet. Technicians can walk them around the `Mechbay without someone hooked up to them; but they can't make any precise movements (like, say, for targeting an enemy `Mech that way), and if they do go walking around chances are they'll overcorrect and take a tumble so nobody does it unless they absolutely have to, since `Mechwarriors are common as dirt and there's always someone looking for an hour or so more of piloting experience in a 'foreign' machine.

TildeATH posted:

Maybe the whole Inner Ear thing is just a cover story for the fact that, when left alone, a Battlemech will get lonely and despondent.

I'm an unironic proponent of this theory. Not even Clovis Holstein can explain precisely how or why a `Mech's DI computer works (but I'm sure the actual workings exist in a fluff bible somewhere).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 20, 2012

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not even Clovis Holstein can explain precisely how or why a `Mech's DI computer works (but I'm sure the actual workings exist in a fluff bible somewhere).

This reminds me a bit waaay back in the thread where somebody mentioned how retarded it was that in the dark ages the battlemech production facilities basically worked automatically as long as you input materials A into port B and moved battlemech C out of production dock D without anybody really knowing how it works. I happened to find an interesting real-life story of that situation last night.

http://wrttn.in/04af1a

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I'm certain it was decided that Mechs needed a pilot because remote control / AI Mechs would be boring. So what makes a Mech need a pilot? A jamming system to prevent remote piloting would also prevent any communication between lancemates, which would be boring. An intense (religious) distrust of artificial intelligence and automation in general has been done before.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Nevets posted:

I'm certain it was decided that Mechs needed a pilot because remote control / AI Mechs would be boring. So what makes a Mech need a pilot? A jamming system to prevent remote piloting would also prevent any communication between lancemates, which would be boring.

I justify the short ranges and poor aiming of future mechs with extremely advanced ECM suites that render any longrange targeting impossible. It works well for me. Communications could easily be handwaved.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Turn 5. Hermes. Ambush by previously hidden enemy mech. Large laser to the head.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Neurohelmet is there so the pilot CAN do stupd poo poo otherwise the onboard computer won't let you DFA or Charge.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Affi posted:

I justify the short ranges and poor aiming of future mechs with extremely advanced ECM suites that render any longrange targeting impossible. It works well for me. Communications could easily be handwaved.

Semaphore would justify mounting kickass battle standards on your mechs and let Xarbala go all rooster-and-peacock on our designs...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

enigma74 posted:

Turn 5. Hermes. Ambush by previously hidden enemy mech. Large laser to the head.

Who said it had to be a previously hidden enemy mech ambushing us with lasers to the head? :commissar:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Slaan posted:

Then why else would we be allowed to wear a giant funny :tinfoil: hat?

I know this is last page but I can't stop laughing at the mental image of a hundred-foot-tall engine of destruction sporting a enormous tinfoil hat. "WOBBIES AIN'T GONNA GET MY BRAIN."

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

TildeATH posted:

Semaphore would justify mounting kickass battle standards on your mechs and let Xarbala go all rooster-and-peacock on our designs...

Just make sure they don't look like Sashimono or some anime company from 198X is going to sue you.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Turn 6. Player falls over and dies because of it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My completely non-canon explanation for why pilots need neurohelmets is that 'mechs have two control styles. The first is the joystick/throttle/pedals/etc. You push your throttle forward and the mech enters into a forward-walking sequence. You step on the left pedal and your 'mech turns. You aim the torso and arms with the joystick. Stuff like that, completely controlled by the computer's interpretation of what the cockpit controls mean.

But when you want to do more complicated actions, you need the neurohelmet. Let's say you want to your 'mech to punch, or stomp on something, or kneel, or gesture (point/wave/flip off etc..) That's when you flip the switch for neurohelmet control and will your 'mech to do those things. At that point, it's the pilot controlling the 'mech instead of the computer.

Clan Enhanced Imaging adds sensory feedback to the setup, allowing the pilot to much more easily see what their 'mech is doing because from their perspective the 'mech becomes their body. Word of Blake VDNI is a similar deal except instead of being an enhanced version of the neurohelmet interface it jacks right into the pilot's nervous system through an even more invasive implant.

That's my explanation and I'm sticking to it since it makes much more sense than using a human as an accelerometer!

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Nevets posted:

Just make sure they don't look like Sashimono or some anime company from 198X is going to sue you.

Sashimono on Combine mechs would be pretty awesome, albeit impractical.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Terrifying Effigies posted:

There is nothing about this setting that is even remotely practical.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I am reminded of Dark Age clickies and that's bad juju.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I was always under the impression that neurohelmets allowed the pilot to perform complicated movements and basically allow the 'mech to act as a clunky extension of themselves. A simple punch takes a LOT of motor control and involves more than just moving the big metal hand into something's general area.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You could use the Shadowrun explanation: a brain is a massively powerful parallel processor that can crush any solely hardware based computer with ease, and advanced computing co-opts some of that.

There's the programming issue too. Terrain is varied, and it takes us years to learn to walk (and decades to be graceful about it). The DI computer doesn't have to number crunch, it can just watch the brain going "oh poo poo I'm going to fall over on may face" and invoke "oshitfallingoverface.func".

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

Rorac posted:

This reminds me a bit waaay back in the thread where somebody mentioned how retarded it was that in the dark ages the battlemech production facilities basically worked automatically as long as you input materials A into port B and moved battlemech C out of production dock D without anybody really knowing how it works. I happened to find an interesting real-life story of that situation last night.

http://wrttn.in/04af1a

It's a pretty old trope; in Asimov's Foundation trilogy there's a scene where one of the foundation traders talks to a "Tech-man" whose job is to maintain a nuclear power plant. He knows that the plant is irreplaceable and worth more than the lives of millions, but doesn't know a drat thing about how it works.

For Battletech, my take is that there's a huge amount of background scientific research required to design a Mech from scratch--enough that it's only really doable in a society with lots of resources to spend on pure science. When the Star League collapses, the first thing to go is that "background" science. Now, without that, someone could find a factory complete with instruction manuals, train workers to follow the necessary steps, and never really understand why the end product works the way it does, much less be able to make any substantial improvements on it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I am reminded of Dark Age clickies and that's bad juju.

Think semaphore, man--dreadnoughts and jaunty navy caps and whistles!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Turn 1 critical hit, nice!

Edit: Update delayed because lpix is undergoing maintenance and the map's too big for a less awesome source.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 21, 2012

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, things took a turn for the awesome right away. :munch:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

wiegieman posted:

You could use the Shadowrun explanation: a brain is a massively powerful parallel processor that can crush any solely hardware based computer with ease, and advanced computing co-opts some of that.

There's the programming issue too. Terrain is varied, and it takes us years to learn to walk (and decades to be graceful about it). The DI computer doesn't have to number crunch, it can just watch the brain going "oh poo poo I'm going to fall over on may face" and invoke "oshitfallingoverface.func".

This explanation is just as terrible when you think about it a minute. The human brain is only good at things after it's done them a zillion times, long enough to build unconscious competence. Not falling over is an unconscious competence most people take for granted but is actually a skill built up through years of falling over as a child. Being a giant robot is not among these unconscious competencies. Running over uneven terrain at 40 kph is not something you would expect a human to be able to do. Even worse the BT writers I think misunderstood the whole balance in human things in the first place, because the study of proprioception* was barely getting started in the 80s. Heck firefox still doesn't recognize the word in 2012. There's little reason to think a human sitting in a chair would generate the right brain signals to correct an overbalancing mech, because their limbs don't match up at all.

Just take modern fighter jets as an analogy. The plane's computers are much, much better at flying than a human brain. No one would expect otherwise, because humans are not known for their natural flying abilities, nor are we known for being able to monitor and adjust dozens of sensors and control surfaces a hundred times a second. Because of this the computers pretty much do the flying, and the human pilot has more attention available for making tactical decisions. Computers are still notoriously bad at tactics, and connecting to a human remotely has risks as we saw when Iranians fooled a U.S. spy drone's computer into landing in Iran.

The only reason people expect the human to be good at piloting a mech is because mechs are shaped like people. Mechs aren't people though, and there's no real reason to expect a human brain to be good at piloting them. Finding a place to put your foot next is a skill people know for their own weight height and speed. Even minor changes to a limb can make people trip all over themselves and require years to adapt. Being a 40 ton metal rear end in a top hat moving at highway speeds is not something people are familiar with. And how the gently caress do they explain chicken walkers? Is the human brain supposed to be good at balancing on a completely different limb structure?

The neurohelment makes no sense. I think this isn't a big problem with the canon though, because I think a lot of people know it makes no sense. The neurohelmet is a virtual non-entity in most Battletech fiction because it serves such little narrative purpose anyway. If you deleted neurohelmets from the canon, nothing would change, not even the image of the mechwarrior in his cockpit with a huge array of controls. This is because the neurohelmet is already mostly ignored. It is useless and I think it should continue to be ignored.

*Proprioception is the sense of where your limbs are in relation to your body. Fun fact: octopi do not appear to have this sense, possibly because their limbs are so goddamn crazy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Update delayed because lpix is undergoing maintenance and the map's too big for a less awesome source.

http://minus.com/ handles very large pics I believe.

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

*Proprioception is the sense of where your limbs are in relation to your body. Fun fact: octopi do not appear to have this sense, possibly because their limbs are so goddamn crazy.
Or perhaps their limbs are so goddamn crazy because they do not have this sense? Ever think of that explanation? :)

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

. There's little reason to think a human sitting in a chair would generate the right brain signals to correct an overbalancing mech, because their limbs don't match up at all.

Why can't neurohelmets help the mechwarrior instead of the mech? (Besides canon reasons) The computer can keep the mech upright completely fine. It is the pilot who needs help remembering the mech's posture.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Mk. II: Bigger, longer, uncut robo-cock.

PoptartsNinja posted:

:ohdear:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Gladi posted:

Why can't neurohelmets help the mechwarrior instead of the mech? (Besides canon reasons) The computer can keep the mech upright completely fine. It is the pilot who needs help remembering the mech's posture.
It could be a two-way connection, hence the damage to the Mechwarrior in the case of ammo explosion neurohelmet feedback.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Rhobot Mk. II posted:

:ohdear:

Don't worry, it'll be alright! :)

For you. I bet the critical is on my head. :ohdear:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're also basically large car alarms.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I bet somebody shot that paper-thin Hollander for a crit.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

I bet somebody shot that paper-thin Hollander for a crit.

Well, it IS the largest threat right now.

Slaan fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 21, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Caldera: Tactical Update 2

Combat Phase
A5 Bobcat
- Fires Snub-Nose PPC at M3 Hammer 1 (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (0/10 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at M3 Hammer 1 (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 10, hit Left Leg (9/14 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at M3 Hammer 1 (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 11, hit Left Torso (5/10 armor remains)!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks ???!

M1 Shadow Hawk
- Fires LRM-5 at A3 Clint (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at A3 Clint (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 11): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 12!

M2 Hermes II
- Fires Autocannon/5 at A4 Hollander (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 2, miss!
- Gains 3 heat, sinks 10!

M3 Hammer 1
- Fires LRM-5 at A4 Hollander (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at A4 Hollander (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 11, 3 missiles hit Right Leg (5/8 armor remains)!
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 12!

M4 Cicada
- Fires PPC at A3 Clint (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 11): rolled 6, miss!

M5 Hermes
- Fires Medium Laser at A4 Hollander (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 10, hit Right Arm (1/6 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at A4 Hollander (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Flamer at A4 Hollander (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Gains 11 heat, sinks 10!

M6 Valkyrie
- Fires LRM-10 at A4 Hollander (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 11!

M7 Spider
- Fires Medium Laser at A4 Hollander (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 11, hit Left Torso (4/9 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at A4 Hollander (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Gains 8 heat, sinks 10!

M8 Hammer 2
- Fires LRM-5 at A4 Hollander (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at A4 Hollander (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 12!

A1 Wolfhound
- Fires Large Laser at M8 Hammer (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 10!

A2 Commando
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 10!

A3 Clint
- Fires Autocannon/5 at M7 Spider (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!

A4 Hollander
- Fires Gauss Rifle at M8 Hammer (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 11, hit Left Torso (0/10 armor, 2/7 structure remains)! Critical chance!

A6 Griffin
- Fires Large Laser at M5 Hermes (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at M5 Hermes (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 10): rolled 12, hit Head (2/7 armor remains)! Pilot hit!
- Fires Medium Laser at M5 Hermes (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 10): rolled 10, hits Left Arm (4/9 armor remains)!
- Gains 16 heat, sinks 16!

End Phase:
M3 Hammer
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 1 massive damage = 6): rolled 7, succeeds!

M5 Hermes
- Must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 7, succeeds!

M8 Hammer
- Critical chance in Left Torso! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Heat Sink destroyed!
- - LRM-5 destroyed!

Lieutenant Asker brought her little Hermes about as a trio of unidentified `Mechs crested the ridgeline around one of the Calderas’ bubbling geyser pools. The Griffin was worrying, the little Clint not so much—but the third, the light `Mech with a gun nearly as long as it was tall—was worrying. She toggled her secondary monitor, trying to get a readout, but her beautiful Hermes with its sad, sorrowful expression gave up no secrets.

One of the rarest `Mechs in the Inner Sphere, Lycoris’ Hermes had served—and actually been retired—long before the fall of the Star League. Broken out of mothballs, its computer system had perhaps the most complete `Mech registry of any `Mech in the regiment. She slammed a hand down on the secondary monitor—her go-to fix whenever it spat out a ‘no data’ entry—but went unrewarded.

“drat,” Asker cursed quietly, tying herself into the Lance’s comms. “I don’t like the looks of that big gun—close and kill, people, but be ready to break off if it’s a heavy autocannon and not one of those new Gauss Rifle things. We can dance around an autocannon all day if we have to.”

She barely heard her Lance’s affirmatives, instead bringing her Hermes up to speed. The little `Mech was blindingly fast, only Flavian’s Spider had any real ability to keep pace. With luck on her side, the Hermes could run down a Locust and had enough armor and armament to put one down with ease. Like many light `Mech pilots, Lycoris loved the feeling of speed. Nothing could touch her, when she got moving.

Nothing except a lucky shot by the Griffin’s medium laser. She recoiled from the beam even as her cockpit transplex darkened to opacity and sublimated away to absorb the shot. Her Hermes jerked involuntarily, her own shot spoiled as she flinched from the pain. A fraction of a second’s exposure had blistered her exposed skin and nearly set her fire-resistant cooling vest ablaze.

Mission Objective:
Drive Off the 17th Arcturan Guards (0/6)

Secondary Objective:
Destroy the 17th Arcturan Guards (0/6)

Enemy Movement Modifiers:
A1) WLF-1 Wolfhound – +3 ran
A2) COM-2D Commando – +2 ran
A3) CLNT-2-3T Clint – +2 ran
A4) BZK-F2 Hollander – +1 ran
A5) B0C-13T Bobcat (ACE) – [+3 ran]
A6) GRF-1S Griffin – +0 stationary

Protectorate Iron Guard
M1) SHD-2H Shadow Hawk
Weight: 55 tons (Medium)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 18/18 (13/13)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 23/23 (18/18)
CT R A(S): 8/8
RT A(S): 18/18 (13/13)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 16/16 (9/9)
RA A(S): 16/16 (9/9)
LL A(S): 16/16 (13/13)
RL A(S): 16/16 (13/13)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 5/8/3
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Lieutenant S.G. Erasmus Chatzi
Mechwarrior Player: Sair
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
Autocannon/5 – LT (Heat: 1, Ammo: 19, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
LRM-5 – RT (Heat: 2, Ammo: 23, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
SRM-2 – HD (Heat: 2, Ammo: 50, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 2 hands

M2) HER-2S Hermes II
Weight: 40 tons (Medium)
LT A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
LT R A(S): 5/5
CT A(S): 17/17 (12/12)
CT R A(S): 6/6
RT A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
RT R A(S): 5/5
LA A(S): 11/11 (6/6)
RA A(S): 11/11 (6/6)
LL A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
RL A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Sergeant Damaris Golde
Mechwarrior Player: Pinguliten
Armament:
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Flamer – LA (Heat: 2, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Autocannon/5 – RT (Heat: 1, Ammo: 19, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 1 hand

M3) HMR-2M Hammer 1
Weight: 30 tons (Light)
LT A(S): 5/10 (7/7)
LT R A(S): 4/4
CT A(S): 15/15 (10/10)
CT R A(S): 4/4
RT A(S): 10/10 (7/7)
RT R A(S): 4/4
LA A(S): 0/10 (5/5)
RA A(S): 10/10 (5/5)
LL A(S): 9/14 (7/7)
RL A(S): 14/14 (7/7)
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 5/8/0
Mechwarrior Name: Private Karan Stephanopoulos
Mechwarrior Player: BatteredFeltFedora
Armament:
LRM-5 – RT (Heat: 2, Ammo: 24, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
LRM-5 – LT (Heat: 2, Ammo: -, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – HD (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)

M4) CDA-3C (field refit) Cicada
Weight: 40 tons (Class)
LT A(S): 6/6 (10/10)
LT R A(S): 3/3
CT A(S): 11/11 (12/12)
CT R A(S): 6/6
RT A(S): 6/6 (10/10)
RT R A(S): 3/3
LA A(S): 4/4 (6/6)
RA A(S): 4/4 (6/6)
LL A(S): 6/6 (10/10)
RL A(S): 6/6 (10/10)
Heat Sinks: 11
Movement: 7/11/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: PFC Stavros Andreou
Mechwarrior Player: Rhobot Mk. II
Armament:
PPC – RT (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – RL (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – LL (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Notes: no arm actuators

M5) HER-1S Hermes
HD A(S): 2/7 (3/3)
LT A(S): 9/9 (7/7)
CT A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
RT A(S): 9/9 (7/7)
LA A(S): 4/9 (5/5)
RA A(S): 9/9 (5/5)
LL A(S): 10/10 (7/7)
RL A(S): 10/10 (7/7)
Heat: 1/30
Movement: 9/14/0
Mechwarrior Name: Lieutenant J.G. Lycoris Asker
Mechwarrior Player: LeschNyhan
Mechwarrior Status: Flash burns (3+)!
Armament:
Medium Laser –RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Flamer – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)

M6) VAL-QA Valkyrie
Weight: tons (Light)
HD A(S): 8/8 (3/3)
LT A(S): 12/12 (7/7)
LT R A(S): 2/2
CT A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
RT A(S): 12/12 (7/7)
RT R A(S): 2/2
LA A(S): 9/9 (5/5)
RA A(S): 9/9 (5/5)
LL A(S): 12/12 (7/7)
RL A(S): 12/12 (7/7)
Heat Sinks: 11
Movement: 5/8/5
Mechwarrior Name: Corporal Hector Halas
Mechwarrior Player: GreyjoyBastard
Armament:
Medium Laser –RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM-10 – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 11, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)

M7) SDR-5V Spider
HD A(S): 6/6 (3/3)
LT A(S): 6/6 (7/7)
LT R A(S): 2/2
CT A(S): 8/8 (10/10)
RT A(S): 6/6 (7/7)
RT R A(S): 2/2
LA A(S): 5/5 (5/5)
RA A(S): 5/5 (5/5)
LL A(S): 6/6 (7/7)
RL A(S): 6/6 (7/7)
Movement: 8/12/8
Mechwarrior Name: PFC Flavian Gryphon
Mechwarrior Player: cafel
Armament:

M8) HMR-2M Hammer 2
Weight: tons (Class)
LT A(S): 0/10 (2/7)
CT A(S): 15/15 (10/10)
RT A(S): 10/10 (7/7)
LA A(S): 10/10 (5/5)
RA A(S): 10/10 (5/5)
LL A(S): 14/14 (7/7)
RL A(S): 14/14 (7/7)
Heat Sinks: 12 11
Movement: 5/8/0
Mechwarrior Name: Private Vernados Zane
Mechwarrior Player: Slaan
Armament:
LRM-5 – RT (Heat: 2, Ammo: 22, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
LRM-5 – LT (Heat: 2, Ammo: -, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: Destroyed!)
Medium Laser – HD (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)

17th Arcturan Guards
A1) WLF-1 Wolfhound
Weight: 35 tons (Light)
Armament:
Large Laser, 4x Medium Laser

A2) COM-2D Commando
Weight: 25 tons (Light)
Armament:
SRM-4, Medium Laser, SRM-6

A3) CLNT-2-3T Clint
Weight: 40 tons (Medium)
Movement: 6/9/6
Armament:
Autocannon/5, 2x Medium Laser

A4) BZK-F2 Hollander
Weight: 35 tons (Light)
Movement: 4/6/0
Armament:
Gauss Rifle

A5) B0C-13T Bobcat
Weight: 45 tons (Medium)
Movement: 6/9/6
Armament:
PPC, 2x Medium Laser, ???
Notes: 1 hand, ACE

A6) GRF-1S Griffin
Weight: 55 tons (Medium)
Movement: 5/8/5
Armament:
Large Laser, 2x Medium Laser, LRM-5

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
That poor hammer, 3 consecutive 10+ rolls against him and then an 11 from the Gauss on the other Hammer.

Poptarts dice really hate you guys.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

A Snub, ER lasers, probably an advanced heatsink, 6/9/6 move profile?

That is one scary loving mech.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
NRWR is going to eat you all alive.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

A Snub, ER lasers, probably an advanced heatsink, 6/9/6 move profile?

That is one scary loving mech.

I'm most impressed with the ER Mediums. Those weren't even around I'm the Star League era. And snubbies were cutting-edge stuff.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Stay the gently caress away from that Bobcat. The Snub-Nose PPC does more damage the closer you get and has the largest short range bracket of any weapon (9/13/15).

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
And the Hollander goes omnomnom. So does all these high tech mean that they are actually fighting Comstar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

lilljonas posted:

And the Hollander goes omnomnom. So does all these high tech mean that they are actually fighting Comstar?

Doubtful. As DI mentioned, the ER Medium Laser wouldn't be in Comstar's arsenal, as they mostly used vintage Star League mechs. SN-PPC only existed as a prototype weapon during this time, so they probably wouldn't have any either.

I think PTN is just advancing the IS at a very rapid pace. I almost feel bad for the Clans. The Snub-Nosed PPC might be the best anti-Clan weapon the IS possesses.

• Locked thread