Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Dias posted:

Might as well rename the Goon Squad to the A-Team. So much shooting, so little damage.

It happens. They may outgun the enemy, but I have the mobility advantage and that's a real killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It really is. The Battletech forums will tell you that lights are obsolete in the 3050's and that mediums are worthless in the Jihad.

My 4th Deneb Light Cavalry keep not caring, and boy do they tear up Clanners and Wobbies but good.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It happens. They may outgun the enemy, but I have the mobility advantage and that's a real killer.

Especially with that Backstabber Bobcat. I'm starting to wonder if our characters had turned State's Evidence in prison or something, he keeps shanking people in the kidneys.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Laser blasts and missiles everywhere and yet no one is seriously hurt. It's like an episode of G.I. Joe up in here.

(this is a compliment G.I. Joe is awesome)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Laser blasts and missiles everywhere and yet no one is seriously hurt. It's like an episode of G.I. Joe up in here.

(this is a compliment G.I. Joe is awesome)

This mission may or may not be inspired by my purchasing the G.I. Joe Series 2 Season 1 reciently. I just haven't had an opportunity to combine Snake DNA with any Jet Fighters, or inject my Jeeps with Tiger Blood.

Incidentally, I may do another Let's Read soon. I just need to pick a book that isn't in Pennsylvania to tear apart talk about.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 2, 2012

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Arquinsiel posted:

It really is. The Battletech forums will tell you that lights are obsolete in the 3050's and that mediums are worthless in the Jihad.

My 4th Deneb Light Cavalry keep not caring, and boy do they tear up Clanners and Wobbies but good.

A lot of people on the official forums seem to play BT as a minis game (or use Quick Strike where everything dies in one or 2 hits anyways) so they're probably also used to terrain where something is either fully covered or out in the open. BT makes such a horrid minis game ewwwww.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BattleMaster posted:

A lot of people on the official forums seem to play BT as a minis game (or use Quick Strike where everything dies in one or 2 hits anyways) so they're probably also used to terrain where something is either fully covered or out in the open. BT makes such a horrid minis game ewwwww.

Honest question, not snarky: what is the difference between a "minis game" and a tabletop wargame played with miniatures or whatever you'd call the "real way" to play Battletech? I assume from context that we're doing the latter in this thread.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

People playing bad games will have bad results, minis or not.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

This mission may or may not be inspired by my purchasing the G.I. Joe Series 2 Season 1 reciently. I just haven't had an opportunity to combine Snake DNA with any Jet Fighters, or inject my Jeeps with Tiger Blood.

Incidentally, I may do another Let's Read soon. I just need to pick a book that isn't in Pennsylvania to tear apart talk about.

So.... ilKhan Serpentor, is what you're telling me here?

(I'd've signed up to be a pilot if I knew there was a chance I could play Shipwreck - who is the best Joe ever all reasonable people realize this :colbert:)

(edit: I will forestall any arguments by noting that Shipwreck was central to "There's No Place Like Springfield" and that means he is and will always be best so there's no reason to argue)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Honest question, not snarky: what is the difference between a "minis game" and a tabletop wargame played with miniatures or whatever you'd call the "real way" to play Battletech? I assume from context that we're doing the latter in this thread.
In essence, Battletech is a Hex'n'chit wargame, and the miniatures are just eye candy. Same as the tokens in Risk or Axis and Allies.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hexes, really. For better or worse, Battletech is defined in most people's headspace by the hexes. You wouldn't think doing away with them and going with tapemeasures would make such a big difference, but it does.

Also it is cheaper to play standard rather than minis-style. The game comes with maps to use, after all. Playing with minis means playing with terrain, and sooner or later you find yourself hip deep in model train terrain that cost real cash.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Time to withdraw and introduce the Assault lance.

Well, I'd almost consider this proof that those are indeed genuine Lyrans. After all, "Pull back and throw in the Assaults" is pretty much Lyran Contingency Plan #1. (It's also Lyran Contingency Plans #2-5.) :v:

Magni fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 2, 2012

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Thing is, like most cliches, there's a kernel of truth to be had with that argument. Once you combine Clan Pulse Large Lasers, Targeting Computers, and pilots with starting Gunnery scores in the 2-3 range, getting a +3 or +4 from your movement can't save a light 'mech anymore. And once you get six cyber-pilots focus firing with C3i, even mediums start to go down pretty quick, maneuverability or not.

Obviously, it's situational, but overall it doesn't take too many times seeing a light get vaporized by a barrage of clan laser fire or see the gauss rounds rip a medium into coleslaw to start to decide that the only solution is more armor and bigger guns...because speed can't keep you safe anymore.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mediums aren't useless, it's just that units like the 4th Donegal or the Davion Light Guard who are hugely below weight get shredded. A unit that's composed primarily of mediums, but has a bigass assault battalion, like the 2nd Donegal or 4th Skye, can do fine. You just need that anchor unit for you to maneuver around.

I mean, that C3 is neat and all, but it's a thousand times more useful with a 7/11/7 Blitzkrieg slaved into it than another Archer. But you need those big gun units to stand and deliver while your mediums slash across them in wolfpack attacks.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

BattleTech is primarily marketed as a "board game" where you move chits on a hexagon map. Some people buy miniatures and paint them, assemble terrain, and play the game without hexes on a tabletop using inches for distance. There are official rules for this kind of conversion but it's still a big hack that breaks the game. For one thing, there are pretty much no provisions for cover other than "out in the open" or "completely covered" so already fast movers that exploit forests are at a disadvantage. Especially since most people play on a completely flat surface with a few building or hill templates scattered around.

There's a simpler miniatures rule set called "Quick Strike" that is based on the simplified BattleForce rules. It is more in line with what you'd expect from a game like Warhammer or War Machine, right down to units dying in 2 or 3 hits. So since everything dies so fast you're already going to be biased towards big units that die one turn slower and kill things one turn faster.

So I blame both types of play for being why light and medium 'mechs are so maligned by some players.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Arquinsiel posted:

In essence, Battletech is a Hex'n'chit wargame, and the miniatures are just eye candy. Same as the tokens in Risk or Axis and Allies.

So someone flips the board over in rage before any game can officially be won?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

jng2058 posted:

Hexes, really. For better or worse, Battletech is defined in most people's headspace by the hexes. You wouldn't think doing away with them and going with tapemeasures would make such a big difference, but it does.

Also it is cheaper to play standard rather than minis-style. The game comes with maps to use, after all. Playing with minis means playing with terrain, and sooner or later you find yourself hip deep in model train terrain that cost real cash.

Thats why you find a local wargaming shop that lets you use the shop terrain. Just be nicer than the magic kids and GW fanatics and you will usually have no problem.

And buy something every now and then to stay in their good graces.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm one of those strange players who really prefers the hexes. I won't play under the Miniatures Rules because they're really not well balanced.

Which isn't to say that I'd never play a Battletech Miniatures wargame, but--well, they tried that with Clickytech and it was an abysmal failure (because clickytech was on its way out at that point).

... But seriously, a miniatures game with 2-3 inch tall battlemechs, where a 'lance' of `Mechs is pretty much the most you can field and the rest has to be infantry and tanks would be awesome.

I'd also play the hell out of a Crusader Kings esque Terran Hegemony -> 3200s Succession Wars game.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'd also play the hell out of a Crusader Kings esque Terran Hegemony -> 3200s Succession Wars game.

That has long been a dream of mine to play as well.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Defiance Industries posted:

Mediums aren't useless, it's just that units like the 4th Donegal or the Davion Light Guard who are hugely below weight get shredded. A unit that's composed primarily of mediums, but has a bigass assault battalion, like the 2nd Donegal or 4th Skye, can do fine. You just need that anchor unit for you to maneuver around.

I mean, that C3 is neat and all, but it's a thousand times more useful with a 7/11/7 Blitzkrieg slaved into it than another Archer. But you need those big gun units to stand and deliver while your mediums slash across them in wolfpack attacks.

Mediums are my bread and butter. In the current Legends cycle I am playing as a Lyran Cavalry unit. I drown my enemy in Bushwackers, Blitzkriegs, Centurions, Starslayers, Uziel, and Enfields.

Elite clanners in assault mechs with tarcomps are scary as sin, but when I have a lance for every mech he fields. That being said, some of my absolute favorite mechs are cavalry heavies.(:swoon: Verfolger :swoon:)

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 2, 2012

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

jng2058 posted:

That has long been a dream of mine to play as well.

Really the most difficult thing about a Crusader Kings 2 Battletech mod would be the map. Everything else is just a straight up texture swap / rename.

Light Infantry -> Infantry
Heavy Infantry -> Light Tanks
Pikemen -> Heavy Tanks
Archers -> Artillery
Light Cavalry -> Aerospace
Heavy Cavalry -> Mechs
Galleys -> Dropships
Rome -> Comstar
Continental Europe -> Successor States
Mongols -> Clans
Excommunication -> Interdiction

All you'd really need would be a map, maybe with planets being counties, solar systems duchies, groups of systems kingdoms and successor states empires. Would end up looking like an archipelago.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

PoptartsNinja posted:

... But seriously, a miniatures game with 2-3 inch tall battlemechs, where a 'lance' of `Mechs is pretty much the most you can field and the rest has to be infantry and tanks would be awesome.

It's not BattleTech, but War Machine is pretty much exactly this minus the tanks and plus magic.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not exactly what you had in mind, but Galactic Civilizations II, with all its ease of modding and custom ships etc, isn't bad for something like that. Not perfect but not bad either. Of course ground combat is heavily abstracted, but then a game that had a decent level of space combat PLUS BTech/BattleForce-style ground combat would be absolutely unreal.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jng2058 posted:

Thing is, like most cliches, there's a kernel of truth to be had with that argument. Once you combine Clan Pulse Large Lasers, Targeting Computers, and pilots with starting Gunnery scores in the 2-3 range, getting a +3 or +4 from your movement can't save a light 'mech anymore. And once you get six cyber-pilots focus firing with C3i, even mediums start to go down pretty quick, maneuverability or not.

Obviously, it's situational, but overall it doesn't take too many times seeing a light get vaporized by a barrage of clan laser fire or see the gauss rounds rip a medium into coleslaw to start to decide that the only solution is more armor and bigger guns...because speed can't keep you safe anymore.
Yes... but the 4th Deneb are a Green rated light cavalry unit. Things move fast, but the majority of the pilots are 5/6. The thing is, I've been taking combined-arms battalions against Clan novas. When I went up against WoB last I took my battalion Command Lance of Battlemaster, Zeus, Archer and Black Knight and still had BV left over for a platoon of BA, a lance of light hovercraft and a pair of VTOLs, while they were a five-mech Level II.... There's only so much you can shoot in one turn, and boy do lights make it easy to go over that limit. C3i is great, but it inflates BV HORRIBLY.

Trast posted:

So someone flips the board over in rage before any game can officially be won?
One local just throws his pen at it REALLY hard, since it can be difficult to flip a paper hexmap :p

Sair
May 11, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Which isn't to say that I'd never play a Battletech Miniatures wargame, but--well, they tried that with Clickytech and it was an abysmal failure (because clickytech was on its way out at that point).

...it really wasn't a failure? Yes, it was only around a few years, but it had a decent following and multiple expansions. The problem was really more Wizkids crashing and burning, which was inevitable once Weisman left. I've heard how horrible it is from old BT fans plenty, and it sounds a lot like what Tribes players do (which I'm completely guilty of). It wasn't BT, but I played it some and it was a fun little game.

Playing BT with miniature rules sucks, though.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Arquinsiel posted:

Yes... but the 4th Deneb are a Green rated light cavalry unit. Things move fast, but the majority of the pilots are 5/6. The thing is, I've been taking combined-arms battalions against Clan novas. When I went up against WoB last I took my battalion Command Lance of Battlemaster, Zeus, Archer and Black Knight and still had BV left over for a platoon of BA, a lance of light hovercraft and a pair of VTOLs, while they were a five-mech Level II.... There's only so much you can shoot in one turn, and boy do lights make it easy to go over that limit. C3i is great, but it inflates BV HORRIBLY.
One local just throws his pen at it REALLY hard, since it can be difficult to flip a paper hexmap :p

That is the only way to play late era lights, throw so many of them at the enemy that they run out of targets to shoot and then get kicked to death.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sair posted:

...it really wasn't a failure?

Hyperbole.

The problem was, they tried to replace CBT with it--they didn't release them in tandem and say "play which one is more fun," so it kinda alienated a lot of the CBT fans.

Not to say going for new blood is a bad thing (it's really not, it's how the business grows); but the clicky mechanic was on its way out when Mechwarrior: Dark Age was introduced and I think that, coupled with the loss / bizarre changes to several iconic designs kinda put off the old guard.

VVV From my perspective, it felt like one; but that had a lot to do with the 'loss' of the novel line and the introduction of the MWDA books. Of course, at that point they were in financial trouble and I'm not really interested in dwelling overly much on it. MWDA was an interesting game, but it seemed like WizKids put a lot of hope in it and then suffered for it. I'm also not a huge fan of the "randomized boosters" mechanic. That's also around the time MechAssault came out; which is probably deserving of an LP even if it was piss-easy.

Edit: Anyway, I think my only real issue with ClickyTech is that it didn't really get a fair chance. MageKnight was launched in 2000, 2 years before; but by the time ClickyTech rolled out you also had HeroClix, Alien vs. Predator Clicks, Crimson Skies came out in 2003, and by that time the market was pretty much saturated with a million Mage Knight expansions and Atlantians were rolling over everyone due to balance issues. WizKids thought they were on to something, but they oversaturated their market rather than focusing on one thing and getting it balanced and established and making sure the market had enough depth to support other games of a similar style.

Plus, y'know, the whole "moving a tank twice causes it to take damage" thing; which was just bizarre. Some of the clicky rules didn't translate as well as they could have.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 3, 2012

Sair
May 11, 2007

MWDA came out in 2002. FanPro was putting out CBT books in 2003, and promoting it before that, especially with that Reseen stuff. It was never presented as a replacement.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It really didn't help that Mage Knight had some pretty lovely rules too. And I say this as a man who has a bag full of stuff they handed me at a con just to get me interested in playing.

Yes, they literally turned up at a con and took an 8X4 table. Half was a game, the other half was piled 4 feet high in boxes of free stuff to give out for kills and the like. Yeah.

AtomikKrab posted:

That is the only way to play late era lights, throw so many of them at the enemy that they run out of targets to shoot and then get kicked to death.
This is the only way to play early era ligths. The late era lights are throwing Snubbies and TAGing you :p

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Sair posted:

MWDA came out in 2002. FanPro was putting out CBT books in 2003, and promoting it before that, especially with that Reseen stuff. It was never presented as a replacement.

There was a significant time period (it may only have been a few months, but it felt longer to a Battletech-crazy geek) in 2001 when FASA folded, Wizkids took over, and the only news coming out was about the Dark Age and clicky 'Mechs. Look at the archived posts in rec.games.mecha for example. There was a genuine feeling that the classic boardgame was gone or being discontinued and that the only setting was going to be the 3130s and ClickyTech. There was not a sense of "oh cool there are two parallel systems now," it was "oh god, what have they done to my Battlemechs?"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Carbolic posted:

There was a significant time period (it may only have been a few months, but it felt longer to a Battletech-crazy geek) in 2001 when FASA folded, Wizkids took over, and the only news coming out was about the Dark Age and clicky 'Mechs. Look at the archived posts in rec.games.mecha for example. There was a genuine feeling that the classic boardgame was gone or being discontinued and that the only setting was going to be the 3130s and ClickyTech. There was not a sense of "oh cool there are two parallel systems now," it was "oh god, what have they done to my Battlemechs?"

Better part of a year. I remember it quite vividly, with the indignation culminating with that abortion of an atlas.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read Warrior: En Garde (part 1)

The Warrior Trilogy was not the first BattleTech novel written by Michael A. Stackpole, nor the last. Originally published in 1988-1990, it was reprinted in 1998 and again (with the same cover) in 2003. Some of the earliest BattleTech books, the Warrior Trilogy is also some of Michael A. Stackpole’s earliest work. The writing doesn’t, unfortunately, predate some of his worst habits (“words words words this fact”), but does contain some of his better dialogue. Or at minimum, some of his least egregious.

He’s also got a firm grasp of the politics of the time, since they aren’t the muddled mess that turns up in the 3050s-3070s era (aka: the time of too many authors). Since he (and Robert N Charrette) pretty much have creative control over the fiction at this point, that’s hardly surprising. The Warrior Trilogy (and Heir to the Dragon and Wolves on the Border) lay the groundwork for the 3050s. It may surprise you to know that the Blood of Kerensky trilogy was published the same year as the final book in the Warrior Trilogy, and only a year after Wolves on the Border was published (and that the Legend of the Jade Phoenix trilogy was published over the span of four months in 1991, only a month after the last book of the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy saw publication).

Anyway, timelines of novel publications aside, Michael A. Stackpole also manages to maintain a reasonably ambiguous view of the Federated Suns this time around. For the first book in the trilogy.

So, without further preamble, Let’s Read Justin Allard is an rear end in a top hat Warrior: En Garde!

Prologue
ComStar First Circuit Compound
Hilton Head Island, North America, Terra
1 June 3022

Myndo Waterly is a bitch.

She also points out that letting Hanse Davion and Katrina Steiner sign a treaty is stupid, but Primus Julien Tiepolo expects it’ll throw the Inner Sphere into Chaos and bring about the fall of the great houses so ComStar can sweep in and everyone can suck them off. Waterly is less than impressed with this plan and calls her Weekly Meeting of the First Circuit to have Julien Tiepolo Removed from Office (WMotFCthJTRfO).

Tiepolo smugs his way out of it (this is a running theme, and since I count Stackpole a heavy influence on my own writing, it tends to crop up in my writing as well) then mentions ComStar’s “Secret Plans…” and the prologue ends.

Book 1
Chapter 1
Kittery
Capellan March, Federated Suns
27 November 3026

Yup, that’s a four year jump all right. It’s actually pretty unusual for a jump that large between prologue and Chapter 1 (not counting the several hundred year jump at the start of Star Lord and Far Country); but time skips in general are pretty common in books with prologues. We’re introduced to our Herotagonist and primary window into the BattleTech universe immediately: Major Justin Allard. He’s a Battalion commander and he’s lamenting having to do his job (chewing out a lower-ranking officer).

Robert Craon is introduced and it’s clear he’s not a fan of Justin’s Capellan heritage. Robert’s actually a pretty interesting character, but his initial introduction makes him seem something of a straw man for Justin to knock down; and proves this by being smug and calling Justin a son of a whore; however Justin’s own prejudice is shown in this scene as well. It’s actually a clever touch that helps to balance the scene.

En Garde posted:

“I don’t care that you called me a . . . Ah, how did you put it?”

A smirk twisted the corners of Craon’s mouth and Justin felt his own anger leap up like a solar flare. “I believe that I called you the half-wit whelp of a Capellan whore forced upon a Davion noble to prevent a war.”

Justin studied the computer screen again and nodded. “Almost word for word. You must have practiced.” Since your early years, no doubt. Let’s hope your racism has not warped your reason.

Craon beamed triumphantly. “I am to be accurate.”

It’s an interesting touch, in hindsight. Justin’s expectation of being treated differently for his Chinese appearance is coloring his own reactions to people. It doesn’t help that he’s set up his office specifically to alienate anyone predisposed to think of him as different, by lining his walls with Rice Paper paintings.

Justin Xiang’s hubris seems to be setting him up for a fall; or at least a quiet reassignment to the Draconis March when his regimental commanders learn how poorly he’s considered by his troops. At least that might be the case if he weren’t working with a training battalion; AKA: Hanse Davion’s answer to having fewer `Mechs than everyone else is to train more pilots than his military academies themselves could turn out. It’s something akin to the shotgun approach to finding talent: throw enough pebbles and eventually you might find a diamond.

Anyway: we learn that Craon is upset because Justin kicked a man named Phillip Capet out of the AFFS; a man who’s the winner of the Davion-equivalent to the Medal of Honor. Craon then rails against Justin for kicking him out, so Justin counters by telling Craon that the only reason Capet won the Gold Sunburst saving his command from annihilation was because he blundered into danger, got his family killed, and then got made a media darling by Duke Michael Hasek-Davion (this last part isn’t said; but it’s heavily implied. Remember: everything that goes wrong in the Capellan March is Michael Hasek-Davion’s fault).

Justin then drops the bombshell that “intelligence reports” showed that Capet was planning on hijacking a JumpShip and launching an unprovoked assault on the Capellan Confederation; so Justin kicked him out so he wouldn’t get a bunch of trainees killed. Faced with this complete lack of evidence, Craon’s character changes dramatically. He actually seems contrite, so Justin ‘punishes’ him by putting him in a position to keep the other members of his training company in line; and detailing him to the technical crew as well.

We then learn that Hanse Davion assigned Justin here because, being genetically half-Capellan means he “understands Capellans.” There is so much wrong with that, I don’t even know where to start. Justin Xiang then mentally calls the Davions on Kittery “Carpet Baggers.” Classy.

Also of note: these are Justin’s real feelings. He’s not putting on an act, he really is somewhat disgruntled towards House Davion since, lacking either Fu Manchu or Lo Pan, the Capellan Confederation is in no position to read his thoughts.

We’re then introduced to Andrew Redburn, AKA You Clueless Bastard. Redburn immediately puts his foot in his mouth by lamenting that Kittery’s civilian government is “full of Capellans.” Justin snarks at him and plays the Race Card, prompting an immediate and sincere apology from Redburn. His response is so genuine it kinda makes me cringe, since it’s just an excuse for Justin to be an rear end in a top hat at someone. This will be a running theme.

We then learn that Redburn beat the crap out of Craon earlier, defending Justin’s honor. So yeah, Justin is being an rear end in a top hat to his best friend.

We then learn everyone in the training battalion is in a Stinger, on loan from the Kittery Borderers. Except for Justin and Andrew Redburn, who pilot a Valkyrie and a Spider respectively. The Kittery Borderers are also known for absolutely nothing except going on humanitarian missions to the St. Ives Compact and getting destroyed by the Wobbies in the Jihad. They’re a combined-arms regiment of mostly medium `Mechs, and field two battalions which is a pretty obscene garrison force in 3025.

Justin then speaks to his troops and goes out of the way to emphasize that he is, once again, half-Capellan. This is the fourth or fifth time he’s said so himself in this chapter alone.

Then they mount up in `Mechs and the chapter ends.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Defiance Industries posted:

Better part of a year. I remember it quite vividly, with the indignation culminating with that abortion of an atlas.

I'm remembering the map that misspelled one of the major powers' names (I think it was the "Lyrian Alliance" but don't quite remember).

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm starting to think that Justin being half Capellan might be some kind of issue he needs to work through.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Carbolic posted:

Having been a RGM regular at the time, this is entirely true. It was presented to us as a replacement game, not a parallel or even a continuation. It was rather bluntly 'Battletech is outdated, we want to return to the essence of it so buy these collectable minis'. That only changed after there was a HUGE backlash and we were grudgingly given new releases.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

paragon1 posted:

I'm starting to think that Justin being half Capellan might be some kind of issue he needs to work through.

I have two of the Warrior Triology books. Without spoiling anything: You ain't seen poo poo yet. Boy's got issues. Some of them justified, like something that happens within the very next chapter/next few chapters, but otherwise :stare:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

PoptartsNinja posted:

Justin snarks at him and plays the Race Card, prompting an immediate and sincere apology from Redburn.

I'm a little bleary-eyed at this hour and I read this as "plays the Rice Card," which I suppose is still appropriate :laugh:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I hereby formally demand that it be refered to as "the Rice Card" from here on out in this let's read :colbert:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

I hereby formally demand that it be refered to as "the Rice Card" from here on out in this let's read :colbert:

Defiance Industries supports this. I think I can sell it to the board of directors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I have two of the Warrior Triology books. Without spoiling anything: You ain't seen poo poo yet. Boy's got issues. Some of them justified, like something that happens within the very next chapter/next few chapters, but otherwise :stare:

What a big whiny baby. You're entrusted with GIANT ROBOTS and you're placed in charge of guys who are training dudes to use GIANT ROBOTS. Your life is pretty god drat sweet. Also: You are in a MILTARY WITH GIANT ROBOTS. If somebody bitches about you being in command, YOU FLOG THEM USING YOUR GIANT ROBOTS. Or have them shot. This isn't all that hard. GIANT ROBOTS!

• Locked thread