Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

The Gate posted:

Jumping Snub PPC's are often worse though. Not much else has a 9-hex short range, and 9 hexes is actually long range for a lot of IS guns. Medium range for effectively everything else. Assuming you can jump for 5 hexes, that puts you at +3 to hit, vs. +5-7 for your opponents. Jumping with pulse lasers gives you worse odds or requires you to be closer to the target, which means lower numbers for the enemy. Pulse lasers are really good though, especially mediums. They are really nice for shooting at <REDACTED> as well as fast flankers like previously mentioned, and anything that can reduce your odds of getting screwed by the dice is good. Sure, hitting on 6's is pretty reliable, but hitting on 4's is even better!

Edit: Best way to typically deal with pulse jumpers is to group up covering each others rear end and stand still. The pulse guy is probably going to hit you anyway, you might as well give yourself something reasonable like 8-9 to hit unless you win initiative and can walk up to them.

A snub PPC isn't exactly a fair comparison though. You can use pulses in the late succession war era, where snub nose ppc's don't come in until well after the clans hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

The Gate posted:

Jumping Snub PPC's are often worse though. Not much else has a 9-hex short range, and 9 hexes is actually long range for a lot of IS guns. Medium range for effectively everything else. Assuming you can jump for 5 hexes, that puts you at +3 to hit, vs. +5-7 for your opponents. Jumping with pulse lasers gives you worse odds or requires you to be closer to the target, which means lower numbers for the enemy. Pulse lasers are really good though, especially mediums. They are really nice for shooting at <REDACTED> as well as fast flankers like previously mentioned, and anything that can reduce your odds of getting screwed by the dice is good. Sure, hitting on 6's is pretty reliable, but hitting on 4's is even better!

Edit: Best way to typically deal with pulse jumpers is to group up covering each others rear end and stand still. The pulse guy is probably going to hit you anyway, you might as well give yourself something reasonable like 8-9 to hit unless you win initiative and can walk up to them.

loving Wobbies.

I just had a match that was my medium and heavy lances against a WoB group of 3 jumpy pulsy bastards, a Gregory or whatever with an arrow IV and an Avatar with ERPPC and gauss. The only time I've ever been a little happy with FWL's apparent love of light gauss and ermls. His eidelon had 2x lpls and could jump at 7 or 8, a wraith that didn't survive past turn 2 and a vulcan with 6 or 7 pulse lasers of some sort that could also jump. I just kept backing off and stayed in an echelon formation. Apparently that is enough to really, really piss off players on that server.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So is the Bobcat retreating if we miss the 72-hour window, ending the fight? And if so, is that a loss (which it is strategically) or a win (tactically)?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Defiance Industries posted:

So is the Bobcat retreating if we miss the 72-hour window, ending the fight? And if so, is that a loss (which it is strategically) or a win (tactically)?

I would assume a win, since the objective is only to drive off the 17th Arcturan*. Destroying them was a secondary objective that the players already failed.

*Obviously not The Kezla Rams.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

IS pulse lasers are terrible and generally pointless outside of close range. Not at all worth the extra heat and weight. For example, the large pulse laser is only more accurate than a ppc within the ppc's minimum range or at exactly 7, but does less damage for the same weight and heat. The small pulse laser is a pretty sick joke as well. Mediums lack an easy 1:1 comparison, but they really aren't better than regular mediums except in at point blank range while being twice as heavy.

Counterpoint: Sagittaire.

It basically does everything wrong. XL engine on a slow assault, could probably be more efficient if it was 10 tons lighter, load of IS pulse lasers. But it's a really good mech in close, especially against fast little fuckers.

I love the poo poo out of it.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

"All-around generalist" is a little different than a total camel, I think. A generalist needs a "sweet spot" where it can really lay the stank on someone, but it can do well elsewhere. The Orion, for example, is a good generalist because it has several specific ranges where you hit a spot where your range bands overlap well. However, if you can't get to precisely 6 hexes, you're still a pretty viable threat closer up or further away, you just use less guns depending.

The Axman-2N doesn't have a spot like that. There's no real option to push your heat higher in exchange for more firepower or flexibility in your heat bands, you're either packing 15 tons of useless or mostly-useless weapons even within the short range of the LRM launcher or you're packing 16 tons of weapons that Natasha Kerensky would have trouble hitting with at melee range. This isn't an arrangement I enjoy on a mech that only weighs 65 tons.

It wouldn't be so much trouble if they had, say, traded the LPL for an ER Large so it would be less dead weight at range, or the LRMs for a Gauss rifle, which would be a little more usable as you close. But the idea of putting a weapon with a minimum range of 6 on a mech that can only move a maximum of 6 hexes and then giving it an ax basically guarantees you're going to have a bunch of turns where you have multiple weapons that are totally useless unless you are only fighting UrbanMechs.

presenting an Axman 2N for the 32nd Century

code:
Axman AXM-3N

Mass: 65 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-E
Production Year: 3070
Cost: 11,681,285 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,344

Chassis: Unknown Standard
Power Plant: Unknown 260 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Jump Jets: Unknown
    Jump Capacity: 120 meters
Armor: Unknown Light Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
    1  ER Large Laser
    2  MML-7s
    3  Medium Pulse Lasers
    1  Hatchet
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard                     104 points                6.50
Engine:             XL Fusion Engine             260                       7.00
    Walking MP: 4
    Running MP: 6
    Jumping MP: 4 Standard
    Jump Jet Locations: 2 LL, 2 RL                                         4.00
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             11(22)                    1.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 1 LT
Gyro:               Standard                                               3.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA+H    R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor:              Light Ferro-Fibrous          AV - 195                 11.50
    Armor Locations: 1 HD, 2 CT, 3 RT, 1 LA

Internal       Armor      
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     21           30        
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  8         
                                           L/R Torso     15           22        
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  8         
                                             L/R Arm     10           19        
                                             L/R Leg     15           25        

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MML-7                                        RT        4         4         4.50
MML-7                                        LT        4         4         4.50
Hatchet                                      RA        -         5         5.00
ER Large Laser                               RA        12        2         5.00
3 Medium Pulse Lasers                        LA        12        3         6.00
@MML-7 (LRM) (17)                            RT        -         1         1.00
@MML-7 (SRM) (14)                            RT        -         1         1.00
@MML-7 (SRM) (14)                            LT        -         1         1.00
@MML-7 (LRM) (17)                            LT        -         1         1.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 5

its a far from a perfect mech but as a generalised close range bodyguard for a fire support lance its ideal.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 17, 2012

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

72 hours have passed. Is this mission over or did orders get sent in? Got my voting finger ready just in case.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

72 hours have passed. Is this mission over or did orders get sent in? Got my voting finger ready just in case.

Possible Scenario: While the pilots were paralyzed with indecision, the Bobcat was able to line up headshots on goonlance and kill them all.

|Edit: Eh, that works too.
|
v

landcollector fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 17, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Alternatively: "Well, sir, we shot a bunch of times and then after we kept missing he just sort of... wandered off."

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 17, 2012

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Lurker checking in to say something.

As someone who's been keeping up with this awesome thread for a while now, with Z-E-R-O prior knowledge of any battletech lore or how the game is played, I was under the impression that the awesome thing about all the scenarios we play out and decisions we make are...crap, how do I put this.
I was under the impression that there are no good guys in this world, and if we failed a mission, it wouldn't mean something terrible would happen, it would just mean something DIFFERENT happens, because this is a universe of cause and effect, and because each side has its assholes and heroes, there's no clearly desired outcome that is the best, we just try to pick actions that have the most interesting consequences.
What's to stop us from playing as the side we're facing against in the next mission, continuing as a success where we just failed (are about to fail)?
The point I'm trying to make is, I think it would be pretty loving awesome if this mission counted as the Bobcat winning, and a mission failure for the players, because holy loving poo poo has that dude gone above and beyond the call of duty in kicking all your asses and buying time for his comrades to retreat.

Also, I'll say it again, this thread is awesome.

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 17, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Alternatively: "Well, sir, we shot a bunch of times and then after we kept missing he just sort of... wandered off."

No, no, they'd need an excuse for how they let him wander off that wouldn't get them executed for criminal negligence. Just go with the old standby of "Our weapons couldn't target him, he was like a ghost! A giant robot ghost! Then he disappeared into the mists. We followed me for THREE DAYS, but couldn't find him."

Never mind the fact they've only been gone for hours.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zaodai posted:

No, no, they'd need an excuse for how they let him wander off that wouldn't get them executed for criminal negligence. Just go with the old standby of "Our weapons couldn't target him, he was like a ghost! A giant robot ghost! Then he disappeared into the mists. We followed me for THREE DAYS, but couldn't find him."

Never mind the fact they've only been gone for hours.

*gasp*

'He used a TIME MACHINE!'

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FAT BATMAN posted:

I was under the impression that there are no good guys in this world,

Correct! Everyone is horrible in their own way.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Yeah if the Bobcat was played by a goon we'd all be in awe right about now. We'd also probably be complaining about the "bullshit reinforcements" and the scenario change which made 3 of our allies flee.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

FAT BATMAN posted:

I was under the impression that there are no good guys in this world, and if we failed a mission, it wouldn't mean something terrible would happen, it would just mean something DIFFERENT happens, because this is a universe of cause and effect, and because each side has its assholes and heroes, there's no clearly desired outcome that is the best, we just try to pick actions that have the most interesting consequences.

You're exactly right. And that's part of the appeal. Every faction is very grey - the Davions are noble and righteous and the 'good guys' and are also elitist warmongers who oppress the poo poo out of their people. The Liao are bugfuck crazy rulers of a totalitarian police state that's the big underdog that fights to keep their people free and support a surprisingly progressive (if strict) social system. It's why Battletech isn't one of the million generic sci-fi universes that rise and fade on a bi-weekly basis.

quote:

What's to stop us from playing as the side we're facing against in the next mission, continuing as a success where we just failed (are about to fail)?

Nothing. Nothing at all. In fact, look back to Operation Himinbjörg - the thread was actively discussing if we even wanted to win the scenario because of the likely repercussions.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tempest_56 posted:

You're exactly right. And that's part of the appeal. Every faction is very grey - the Davions are noble and righteous and the 'good guys' and are also elitist warmongers who oppress the poo poo out of their people. The Liao are bugfuck crazy rulers of a totalitarian police state that's the big underdog that fights to keep their people free and support a surprisingly progressive (if strict) social system. It's why Battletech isn't one of the million generic sci-fi universes that rise and fade on a bi-weekly basis.

This is all true except in the novels, which are almost all terrible. They take place in a universe where ambiguity was never invented.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
End of Mission / Political Vote 11:

Less machine than a collection of still-functional scrap, the Bobcat pilot spun his `Mech about as Chiatzi brought his armament to bear. With a speed that would’ve done many a light `Mech proud it lunged up and over the ridgeline; its signal vanishing in an instant behind those iron-heavy rocks. Chiatzi pressed down on his Shadow Hawk’s foot pedals for a moment, preparing to follow, then brought himself short. “Let him go,” he decided, squeezing his eyes closed. “If we follow, he’ll just string us out and picks us off one at a time.”

After-Action Report:
Well, this wasn’t the way I was hoping to end this mission; but the good news is I’ve got a new series of exciting missions (including a couple of invasions) ready. I’d like to thank all of my players this mission, ambushes are always disheartening and you guys handled the introduction of several new `Mechs extremely well. So kudos, everyone!

We need MVPs again, but given the circumstances I’m going to fold that into the new political vote.

Political Vote 11

Citadel Amaris
New St. Andrews
New Rim Worlds Republic
3 July 3033

Strategos Michael Preston strode quietly amidst his peers, stepping into Stephan Amaris’ vast throne chamber. He frowned silently, as the young President bustled back and forth between seven map tables, moving tiny pieces about and occasionally pausing to take a step back for a more in-depth view of his simulated battlefields. The Amaris line had always been thinkers. Some in the Republic would even have called them visionaries; and yet none had a military mind. Young Amaris VII was nonetheless an armchair general, second- and third-guessing past military decisions on boards of felt and with wooden pegs in place of `Mechs, tanks, and infantry.

The absurdity of it had always tried Preston’s temper.

The assembled generals of the New Rim Worlds Republic stood at ease. Amaris had never demanded their attention, only the loyalty of each—and for their part, each man assembled was prepared to give his fair share to the Republic. In theory.

Amaris turned, a smile splitting his dark features. He held his arms wide, “Welcome, gentlemen! It’s always a pleasure! I’d like to congratulate you on the unqualified success of Operation: Backstab!”

Sweat poured down the back of Polemarchos Tom Dobson’s fat neck. His assault regiment had been destroyed almost to a man when it’d dropped into a Marik regiment on Sierra. “Success?”

Amaris’ smile remained, though his gaze turned ice cold. “Yes. Operation: Backstab was an opportunity to test our new `Mech designs in the field before we deploy them to our new Capitol. I consider it an unqualified success, well done!”

“Your test cost us quite a few of those `Mechs, and showed our hand to House Marik!” Preston stormed, stomping forward until the Clavesman that served Amaris as guards moved to rest their hands on the swords at their hips. The natives of New St. Andrews had fled the Draconis Combine not long after the state’s formation, and had sought out a world far from the then-borders of the Inner Sphere to colonize. Originally native to Terra’s Afghanistan, New St. Andrews’ harsh sun and rocky wastes had always suited them just fine. The men of the Claves were fiercely independent and served House Amaris with a deadly zeal, and yet they remained luddites, shunning any machine more complex than a wheel in favor of the strength of their own two arms. The average lifespan of a Clavesman was not long, even by the Federated Sun’s standards where sixty-five was practically ancient and eighty nearly unheard-of.Either of them could kill Preston before he took another step, or draw his laser pistol.

He froze.

Amaris continued as though he hadn’t interrupted, sweeping his hand over one of the boards. “Your decision to land one of your Battalions in the Calderas was a mistake, Preston,” he pointed out quietly. “Your enemy’s swift thinking and concentration of forces kept you from picking them off piecemeal, and they nearly cost you the full battalion. Explain your choices?”

Preston shook his head, “I have no excuses, sir. I made a tactical blunder and spread myself too thin to cover their possible search patterns. When they deviated, I wasn’t able to concentrate my forces quickly enough to compensate.”

Amaris nodded, “Clearly. So, next time—?”

“I would make the same decision. An ambush is sound, I simply needed to concentrate my forces and destroy what I could. A few stragglers with broken morale would hardly pose a threat later.”

Amaris clapped his hands, turning to the others. “And you, Dobson?”

Tom blinked for a moment, his beady porcine eyes glistening with moisture. “I went to UKAD, not the Nagelring,” he sputtered. “Warfare is an art, and I could have won if my troops had just stayed in line and filled in where I asked them to. It’s not my fault my troops were inferior—”

Preston glowered, “Don’t blame your troops, Dobson. They were good men.”

“Your troops were the same quality as Strategos Bibeau’s; and he won Butzfleth for us. Speaking of, where is that walking skeleton?”

“Dead,” Preston shrugged. “He was killed early on when his Ostsol slipped down a crevasse. His Neurohelmet snapped his neck.”

Amaris frowned. “Hm. Pity.”

“A young Tetrarch… Kemper Varas, I think, took charge of the regiment after that. The officer corps weren’t pleased, but he lead the troops to a victory. I had to pull him out of the regiment for his own protection. The officers corps—”

“Elevate him to Taxiarchos,” Amaris replied dismissively. “Any who argue get to join Tom’s new regiment. Speaking of, Tom? Your excuses aren’t enough. I don’t mind failure, you know that—but I can’t have a general who’s unable to learn from his mistakes. You’re retiring Tom.”

Dobson sputtered, but Amaris cut him off with a pat on the shoulder. “Today. At full pension.”

Dobson swallowed, “First Lord, all I’ve ever known is the military—”

“So take up painting,” Amaris replied. His friendly tones turned tempestuous in an instant. “Take the retirement, Dobson. You’ve earned it; and it’s better than the alternative.”

“This was all a test, then,” Preston paced quietly, after each of the Generals had been called to task to explain his mistakes on the field, or for clarification of his choices. Or, in the case of Polemarchos Terraciano, for orders that were so badly communicated that his troops had floundered for half a day and then withdrawn without encountering the enemy at all.

“Operation: Backstab was never about seizing territory from House Marik!”

Amaris smiled, leaning against one of his vast planning tables. “You’re right, of course. No, my friends—our real enemy has taken the bait. According to ComStar’s reports, several fallen HPGs have resumed broadcasting. The Clan invaders’ garrison forces have abandoned them, and a vast swath of the Rasalhague District and Tamar Province are in open rebellion. They’re coming, Gentlemen, and I needed to know what you could do.”

Terraciano leaned forward, his great muttonchops twitching in the too-hot breeze. “Why not prepare ourselves here? New St. Andrew is much better, defensively—”

“I refuse to fight anywhere but our new Capitol.”

Preston rubbed his eyes, “My Lord, why Andurien? It feels like you’re abandoning the Republic in favor of the Great Houses.”

Amaris laughed heartily, “Andurien has everything I need in one neat package. No, gentlemen, put it out of your minds; Andurien is a battlefield and nothing more. It’s where we will show the Inner Sphere that the Clans can be beaten.”

In his own corner, Taxiarchos Andrew Buckley ran his fingers through his own highly-styled hair. Once an Andurien native, he still sported the faded purple Marik eagle tattooed on his forehead; a symbol of loyalty that’d gone out of style when old Janos Marik had died. His uniform shirt wrinkled as he leaned forward, the pocket on his left breast and the crease across his stomach giving it a vague expression of displeasure or perhaps discomfort. “What of Operation: Backstab, wave 2?”

Amaris’ eyes snapped closed as he pressed his palms to his ruddy cheeks. They snapped open again an instant later. “We made no effort to hide our intentions or troop buildup from House Marik. I’m certain they were expecting our attack, why else would the periphery garrisons be so strong? No, this is the outcome I was hoping for and I won’t throw away any of our strength on a ‘phase 2.’ House Marik should remain on the defensive for a while, since I’m certain SAFE has every detail of our planned ‘invasion’ by now.”

Atreus
Free Worlds League
4 July 3033

“We still have no idea what the next phase of their operation will entail,” General Harrison Kalma explained quietly. Although he had no official ties to SAFE, Kalma was deeply placed in the intelligence community nonetheless. He paced quietly, his broad shoulders hunched. “This is a nightmare scenario, Duncan. The only reason we resisted the Rim Worlders at all is because our periphery garrisons—”

“Are full of regiments which should have been deployed months ago, I know. At least we showed the Rim Worlders our teeth, and the Capellans seem to have their hands full with Hasek.” Dragging his long fingers through his close-cropped hair, Duncan Marik was a handsome figure in the immaculately white dress uniform of the Captain-General. His features were strong, and his eyes were clear and focused on the problems of the day.

To Harrison Kalma, Duncan had been changed drastically in his time on Helm. Gone was the wild youthful warrior who’d won command of the Marik Militia regiments. His roguish smile was the same, and his eyes still seemed to shine with the same vibrancy of life and purpose; but he no longer let the petty details distract him from the affairs of state. “I know you don’t like it,” Duncan continued, “but we need to start full production on the Shoalbreaker project. I want one in every major command center in the League.”

He paused, tracing his fingers along the worlds connected in ComStar’s first circuit. “I’d also like you to draw up contingency plans for something I’m calling ‘Operation: Scorpion.’ I want plans for the full seizure of every ComStar facility in the Free Worlds League.”

“That’s very dangerous,” Kalma pointed out. For a moment, all other thoughts fled as he ran through the details. The seizures would have to be instantaneous, and without access to the HPG network for timing—well, he’d figure it out. He’d have to.

Duncan sat, leaning over a heavy mahogany table that’d been imported from Terra in the days before the Star League fell. Duncan ran his hand over the dark wood surface, his eyes dark and brooding. “Any News?” he asked, his inflection implying something singular rather than news in general.

Kalma nodded, “It was right where the Helm core said it would be; and more besides. There was a veritable treasure trove of lostech; but because of the radiation on New Dallas—”

“I don’t care about the lostech, Harrison. Is the Core intact?”

Kalma nodded, “Perfectly; and the data—everything we’d need to raise humanity from the Stone Age to the heights of the Star League, in one computer. Factory schematics, `Mech designs, weapons systems, civilian technology. Heat sinks that’ll make those advanced Capellan models look like cheap trash.”

“You’ll have to tell Halas he’s out of a job.” Duncan laughed.

“We won’t be able to keep it secret from the other successor states for long. Even distributing the factory specifications to every supplier in the Free Worlds League won’t give us much of a head start.”

Duncan Marik’s face fell as he rubbed his eyes with his hands. He straightened a moment later. “So we won’t try.”

Kalma started, “Captain-General?”

“Copy the weapons schematics. No `Mechs, no factories, but the weapons are all they’ll care about anyway. At least at first. I’ll record verigraphs for every House Lord but Liao; and we’ll send copies of the weapons data to each to aid them in their war against the Clans and as a sign of our ‘magnanimity.’ With luck, they’ll spend months testing the data for boobytraps and won’t pay much attention to anything else we may or may not have. Also, I want SAFE to arrange for a defector, to bring a copy of the data to the Capellan Confederation about two weeks after the other House Lords have it. I’m sure it’ll tickle Justin Xiang pink to think he’s obtained treasure right from under SAFE’s noses. We should be able to secure a hefty production advantage in the interim, and I mean to make full use of it.”

Harrison nodded quietly, tapping a fingertip against his lower lip. “They’ll still send spies,” Kalma mused quietly; “and likely some of their best, to see if we’ve held anything back. It’ll be hell, identifying them”

The gears behind Duncan’s eyes spun silently for a few moments as he stared at the table-top. After a few minutes, his lips curled into a smile. “We won’t need to identify them,” Duncan replied quietly, “We’re going to invite them right to Atreus.”

Dire Spider
Orbiting Jabuka
Clan Widowmaker Occupation Zone
5 July 3033

Star Captain Ulric Kerensky rolled his rakish moustache between his thumb and forefingers as he let his gaze sweep over the bloodnamed of Clan Widowmaker. It was hard to believe that less than a year ago he would have been barred from this council, it already felt like home.

With all the bloodnamed of the Clan assembled, the invasion had ground to a halt—but it would have regardless. It seemed only the Steel Vipers and the damnable Jade Falcons would have supplies for some time to come, with the so-called Free Rasalhague rebels having severed the Widowmaker and Goliath Scorpion supply lines.

He’d heard rumors that the Goliath Scorpions had been clamoring for the council to abandon the Inner Sphere, and return to Clan space where they belonged. It wasn’t the first time Ulric had contemplated the merits of the invasion; he’d seen enough suffering of the freeborn populace of the Inner Sphere to last him a lifetime; and yet the Widowmakers’ reputations were at stake.

Less a center of calm in the council and more a badly-harnessed force of nature—much like powering a wind farm with a tornado—ilKhan Natasha Kerensky paced back and forth, her aid Conal Ward a half-step behind. “Warriors of the Council, this situation cannot stand. The labor-caste of the Inner Sphere rises against their rightful rulers. They must be taught what it is to defy the Clans, and to defy the will of the ilClan! They are not mindless animals; to be put down without a thought. They are men like us, no matter how inferior, and so I call a vote that you all may consider the gravity of the decision before us. The Invasion must continue.”

A half step behind her, Conal Ward stepped forward. “Bloodnamed of the Clan, a vote of ‘Aye’ is a vote for the suppression of this ‘Rasalhague Insurgency’ and a swift return to the invasion. A vote of ‘Nay’ is to pressure the Steel Vipers into allowing us to use their supply lines for the duration of the Invasion. With the ilKhan’s backing, only a simple majority is required to pass.”

Political Ulric Kerensky Vote 11:
A) Vote Aye
B) Vote Nay

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 19, 2012

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

How dare these barbarians rise against their true rulers!

A) Vote Aye

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

B. Nay: The Steel Vipers are weaker than the Sons of Rasalhague. Don't need the Widowmakers getting completely wiped out yet. :c00l:

MVPs are the Bobcat and the Hermes II.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Aye. Ulric and Natasha have always been a good team.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Opforce MVP: Bobcat, because holy poo poo it did a number on our guys.
Goon MVP: Hermes II, with a beauty of a double-crit on the Coyote, taking it out.

Political Vote:
Nay, for much the same reasons as KnoxZone laid out.

I shouldn't really be liking an Amaris as much as this, Poptarts. I love it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

NAY

MVPS: Bobcat and Hermes

Honorable mention THE AC/5.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Nay.

Hermes II and Bobcat for MVP.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
PoptartsNinja’s “I’m Moving” mini-contest results!

Congratulations, T.G. Xarbala, your low-tech Wraith idea was great! You get top billing because goddamn, that effort post!

code:
Wraith TR0

Mass: 55 tons
Era: AUTRO
Production Year: 3033
Cost: 4,699,807 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,182

Chassis: Standard
Power Plant: 275 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h
Jump Capacity: 150 meters
Armor: Standard Armor
Armament:
    1  Large Laser
    2  Medium Lasers

Also, to Mary Annette for her very poetic Huron Warrior! There certainly was a lot of love for House Marik in this contest. Dear lord, look at that BV! That’s pretty damned amazing for 3.5 million c-bills!

code:
Huron Warrior HUR-WO-R2L

Mass: 50 tons
Production Year: 3033
Cost: 3,461,500 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,224

Power Plant: 200 Fusion Engine
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armament:
    1  Gauss Rifle
    1  Large Laser
    1  Medium Laser

Defiance Industries’ Caeser was also an excellent choice, and a nice bit of effort on his part!

code:
Caesar CES-1R

Mass: 70 tons
Production Year: 0
Cost: 6,300,398 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,541

Power Plant: 280 Fusion Engine
Armament:
    1  Heavy Gauss Rifle
    1  PPC
    1  Medium Laser
    1  Small Laser (rear)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

NAY
Hermes II
Bobcat

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Cheeky fellow, that Amaris. I hope he eats a PPC bolt at some point in the future.

Goonlance MVP: Hermes II
NRWR MVP: Bobcat, it absolutely mauled the players with that SNPPC.

Political vote:

While another option for the Widowmakers would be to hold the current frontline, they need to secure supply lines no matter what. Unfortunately my Rasalhague friends, your rebellion must be put down for Clan Widowmaker ilKhan Kerensky to achieve its her objectives (even though the smart [though politically suicidal] option would be to propose alliances with any interested IS powers).

A) voting Aye

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Opforce MVP: Bobcat, echoing Keru's reasoning.
Goon MVP: Hermes II, also echoing Keru.

Political Vote:
Nay, because the FRR is awesome and needs to happen.

edit: P.S. I saw a 'Clan Wolf' in that flavortext, PTN, pretty sure it's supposed to be Widowmaker, yes?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Opforce MVP: Bobcat
Goon MVP: Hermes II

Political Vote:
Nay

Yes, this. I almost forgot Amaris is sort of a bad guy in this universe.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Artificer posted:

Yes, this. I almost forgot Amaris is sort of a bad guy in this universe.

The best bad guys are the ones you love.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

MVPs: Bobcat and Hermes II

vote: B. Nay. There's no such thing as swiftly putting down an insurgency. Let the fishes swim free for now; the Clans have Amaris' heir to deal with.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Aye

Also, is House Marik actually... doing something? I-I'm not sure what to make of this... they've found another core? And have all this wonderful new technology and are actually going to put it to use, AND share it with everyone else? This, this must be what it's like to watch that one child of yours who's always just struggled along suddenly getting a scholarship and getting a 4.0 grade average in college before moving on to becoming a surgeon.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Dobson, Buckley, Terraciano? You're spending too much time in those mock threads, PTN.

So, votes:

Nay, just because I have a soft spot for Rasalhague. Who doesn't love space vikings?
Opfor MVP has to be the [/b]Bobcat[/b], clearly.
For Goon MVP, I'll go along with everyone else and the Hermes II.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

quote:

It wasn’t the first time Ulric had contemplated the merits of the invasion; he’d seen enough suffering of the freeborn populace of the Inner Sphere to last him a lifetime; and yet the Widowmakers’ reputations were at stake.

Not our precious warrior's honour! :ohdear:

Voting Aye.

MVPs: Bobcat and Shadow Hawk for drawing and surviving enough fire to let the peg-leg brigade score those lucky shots.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Guitar_Hero posted:

Dobson, Buckley, Terraciano? You're spending too much time in those mock threads, PTN.

Cue 'axis of evil' joke.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

MVP Votes

The Bobcat for OpFor MVP, of course. That thing just mauled the players. An incredible demonstration of the power of winning initiative.

The Hermes II, a prone backshot to take down a heavy should be recognized.

Political Vote

NAY, because the Steel Vipers need to deal with their own poo poo. If they can't, then clearly their clan is weak and does not deserve the territory that they have claimed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Political vote-

Aye because it doesn't seem like Ulric would ignore things like that in favor of advancing, and it's his vote we are casting.

Also, one little thing: second section, third paragraph makes a reference to the "Tamar March," which should be "Tamar Province" since the FedCom mercifully will not exist.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Echoing basically everyone else, Bobcat as opfor MVP, Hermes II as our MVP.

Vote: NAY

A small breakaway republic based on heritage is unlikely to have the strength to strike beyond their own borders or incite rebellion in neighboring systems. The stiffest resistance is ahead and should be dealt with first. If Clans WM and GS can stay fully supplied through the Steel Vipers, that is. If not, it is quite a nice handicap and great honor to them if, despite logistics difficulties, they can crush the Great Houses.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
There's no way to vote anything but Bobcat and Hermes II for MVPs.

Nay. There's no glory in massacres, and Ulric should know that.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Pretty much the Bobcat and the Hermes II, although if the voting weren't already so lopsided due to that very excellent clutch shot, I would also have to put in an honourable mention for our Cicada, who managed to hit with the PPC almost every round and dropped some very serious punishment on our opposition.

I'm going to vote Aye on this one. Widowmaker sort of has a bit of a history with this, as much as Ulric of the Wolves might have disagreed.

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Even though it is just a breakaway republic, Clan Widowmaker could easily get bogged down against these barbarians in asymmetrical combat. Victory would be inevitable, but take too long and the other clans will take an insurmountable lead in the invasion.

Besides, it is doubtful this Insurgency can make many more gains, just as long as an eye is kept on them. Getting the Steel Vipers to allow Clan Widowmaker to use their supply lines will allow for a much cleaner return to the invasion. Nay.

(also voting the Bobcat and Hermes II as MVPs, just like everyone else)

• Locked thread