Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
If my post is what started the derail, I sincerely apologize, I really do. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

You'd be correct.

Then in that case, I'd like to withdraw my vote...

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I'm not sure if this is just splitting hairs, but shouldn't I be listed as the player for the Hermes II on the MVP list? I played it for more turns than the other guy did, and I was the player for the thing that everyone voted the Hermes II MVP for.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TildeATH posted:

Then in that case, I'd like to withdraw my vote...

Hilarious. Done.

With TildATH's withdrawal, the final tally is 49 to 50 in favor of the Death Commandos. I'm not pleased with personal attacks, guys. Remember, tone doesn't carry on the internet yadda yadda. Our giant robot invasion has changed.

I'm folding both missions together (and making a Final Fantasy reference).

1) ex-Death Commandos
Once the bodyguard battalion of Chancellor Maximillian Liao, the Death Commandos' failure in the field was grounds for their public dismissal and the annihilation of their families' honor. Sensing an opportunity, Justin Xiang has sent these disgraced ex-Death Commandos on a suicide mission of atonement. Posing as elements of the elite 1st Kestrel Grenadiers, the Death Commandos have penetrated far behind the Draconis Suns border with a threefold mission: First, to prove to Hanse Davion that the death of Quintus Allard was a blow to his national security. Second, to recover as much Clan salvage as reasonable and return it to the Capellan Confederation. Third, to show the Clans that the Capellan Confederation is not to be trifled with by taking a world away from them. Those who fail, die in disgrace. Those who succeed, return to the Death Commandos with their failure expunged. [INVASION]

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 22, 2012

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hey, Death Commandos vs. Clans. Ask and ye might get an interesting compromise.

Also, a CapCon with Clantech salvage would be ridiculously fierce.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The real Kestrels will get their chance later, probably.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

I have never been happier to lose a vote.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

This is a pretty wonderful compromise. My CapCon vs. Clans fantasy scenario is finally coming true!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If we can withdraw votes, I would like to withdraw mine as well. DefHes don't roll last place.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Death Commandos pretending to be Drac Suns invading Clan territory?

Sure, why not.

vvv Yeah, that is why I changed the post. That last mission felt so long that I mentally counted it as two missions.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 23, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

One day we will play a mission where both sides are who they claim to be.

But not this one. This one will be hilarious.

We haven't had THAT many false flags. There was the Tharkad mission, Caldera and now this. Maybe the first Crab Guard mission because they were only a diversion.

E: DefHes has crushed your attempt at a stealth edit!!

EE: very well Knox. I shall concede that to you for now.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 23, 2012

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

KnoxZone posted:

Death Commandos pretending to be Drac Suns invading Clan territory?

Sure, why not.

It can't be worse than Marik using them to capture Sian and kidnap Maximilian Liao.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Keru posted:

It can't be worse than Marik using them to capture Sian and kidnap Maximilian Liao.

I think every House had Death Commandos except the Capellans. Stupid Davion Death Commandos killing off my Lyran Guards on Tharkad :mad:

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 23, 2012

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Defiance Industries posted:

E: DefHes has crushed your attempt at a stealth exit!!

Just in case you try to edit that and fix it...

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

What? I don't understand what's happening now.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm folding both missions together (and making a Final Fantasy reference).

1) ex-Death Commandos
Once the bodyguard battalion of Chancellor Maximillian Liao, the Death Commandos' failure in the field was grounds for their public dismissal and the annihilation of their families' honor. Sensing an opportunity, Justin Xiang has sent these disgraced ex-Death Commandos on a suicide mission of atonement. Posing as elements of the elite 1st Kestrel Grenadiers, the Death Commandos have penetrated far behind the Draconis Suns border with a threefold mission: First, to prove to Hanse Davion that the death of Quintus Allard was a blow to his national security. Second, to recover as much Clan salvage as reasonable and return it to the Capellan Confederation. Third, to show the Clans that the Capellan Confederation is not to be trifled with by taking a world away from them. Those who fail, die in disgrace. Those who succeed, return to the Death Commandos with their failure expunged. [INVASION]

Well, I approve of this compromise. Do we have to revote or...?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TildeATH posted:

Just in case you try to edit that and fix it...

Stealth exit is perfectly valid. He was trying to STEALTHily EXIT from the assertion that we only do false flag ops. :colbert:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

LeschNyhan posted:

What? I don't understand what's happening now.

Nobody can edit any post in peace! Chaos reigns.

Also, Kestrels and Death Commando scenarios got merged in the best compromise ever.

The Clans have long enjoyed superiority in both technology and pilot quality. We can't do anything about the first one, but damned if they're not up for a shocker with the second.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Brandy Collins posted:

Well, I approve of this compromise. Do we have to revote or...?

No, it's just me dodging a potential thread derail for the next scenario I hope.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
This sounds like a great compromise, and I cannot wait to see how this mini campaign idea pans out. If it's successful, I hope that we can do more, cause it sounds awesome.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

People would be enraged if we had to attack an orphanage, but nobody would mind if our objective was to smash a sibko.

What I am saying is we need to shoot up some sibbies.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

KnoxZone posted:

People would be enraged if we had to attack an orphanage, but nobody would mind if our objective was to smash a sibko.

What I am saying is we need to shoot up some sibbies.

Already suggested it as my mocking compromise for the only way the Death Commandos would win a vote. PTN just took it from completely batshit territory to something almost vaguely plausible.

A little disappointed that even in victory the Death Commandos don't get to be themselves, but hey. The DC are there in spirit.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Already suggested it as my mocking compromise for the only way the Death Commandos would win a vote. PTN just took it from completely batshit territory to something almost vaguely plausible.

A little disappointed that even in victory the Death Commandos don't get to be themselves, but hey. The DC are there in spirit.

Don't be disappointed, truly this victory was yours in all counts. Unintentional victories are always the most remembered!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Don't be disappointed, truly this victory was yours in all counts. Unintentional victories are always the most remembered!

:unsmith:

Out of curiosity, considering this is the Death Commandos posing as the Kestrel Grenadiers, will they be using their Death Commandos Mechs (and the CC only technology) or will they be using only mechs from the general mech pool (for lack of a better term) that both the CC and DS share?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I must say, my vote was basically a coinflip between the 2 and I am not disappointed in the least. This is going to be magical.

Arraxis
Jul 10, 2012
This looks like it will be really interesting. Who would have thought that a derail would lead to an awesome compromise? Although I kind of wish I didn't vote for the Death Commandos now so that the vote would be completely tied.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So PTN, how exactly did Quintus Allard die? Unless this is something being kept secret for a later conflict, I don't remember his death ever being anything more than referenced to while the DC spymaster got his new position with Hanse.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

If I recall correctly he was in the car with Max when he got assassinated.

I can't wait to see the Death Commandos unleash some proper fury on the clans. It is kind of funny in the course of canon Battletech history that the CC of all factions essentially ended up having the equipment best suited for fighting against the clans (Stealth Armor, TSM, and Plasma Rifles are all great toys for giving clan players absolute fits, and of course all those sweet Arrow IV's with lots of tagging units.)

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
This is possibly the best outcome for the vote that I can think of. I want to smash the clans and using the Death Commandos to do so is just pure gravy.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The Clans have long enjoyed superiority in both technology and pilot quality. We can't do anything about the first one, but damned if they're not up for a shocker with the second.

Kerensky might be able to put a cHPPC through her own foot on that first one too at the rate she's going.

In any case, it will be interesting to see where this goes. I'm sure 0/1 pilots aren't going to come free.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Combat Theater Vote 11 Results

ex-Death Commandos replace both the Death Commandos and the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers and win with 99 votes.
The Jade Falcon Guards will have to fail horribly show their skills at a later date.
6th Syrtis Fusiliers are good, but even Duke Michael’s old unit isn’t the big draw it used to be.

Campaign Update 1

The briefing room aboard the Union-class Dropship Yan was silent as a grave. Although `Mechwarriors were normally a boisterous, incorrigible lot, the twelve pilots aboard stared in silence at the map held to the forward bulkhead by judicious use of magnets. The career of a Death Commando was brief and retirements were rare. They served for life; and those lives were often as brief as an ember in the wind.

It was the flames those embers sparked that lasted.

As exiles, they were allowed no ranks. As dead men, they had worn none anyway. It was rare that the Death Commandos were called to serve alongside other Capellan units; and among themselves there was no question of rank. So they stood together, planning their invasion of world grown large before their inexorable advance. Aboard the Yan’s sister ships Ox-Head and Horse-Face, the rest of the Battalion would be doing likewise.

“The Clans remain reluctant to launch fighters against us,” Terrace Williams mused quietly. In earlier times he had been Sang-Shao. Colonel. “They have none to send, perhaps. I had thought all lost when they queried our arrival in system. They may be waiting for a response; their queries have grown more frequent and more confusing. We continue to send no response.”

“They may disdain fighters,” Xiang Yi, whom had once been a captain, suggested in tones that were firm and confident even while her body language was that of a martial artist preparing to receive an attack from an unseen foe. “It would be wise to assume they hold their aerospace assets in reserve.”

“This is an unknown foe,” Zdenko Horvat agreed. “An alien foe. It cannot be trusted to act rationally. It cannot be trusted to act irrationally. We must assume they know precisely what our plans are at all times, and act accordingly.”

Terrance Williams brushed his chin with his fingers. Until recently, he’d sported a Fu Manchu grown in honor of his sixth year in the Death Commandos and in celebration of the Capellan Confederation. In his recent shame, he’d shaved it off alongside his hair. The rest of the ex-Commandos in the room were similarly bald. They were united in their dishonor, and would stand united against the worst the Inner Sphere could throw at them for a chance at atonement. The dead would walk shoulder to shoulder, carrying the burden of the Chancellor Maximilian Liao’s death.

“If they know our plans; then we will make none. Signal the other ships: they know our objectives: Chose landing zones and methods at discretion. A lack of obvious strategy may throw these Hell’s Horses into even greater confusion.”

Campaign Update 1
First things first, we need to chose a landing zone for Yan Company, Ox Company, and Horse Company. Then, we need to chose which Company we’re playing for the duration of the campaign.

Campaign Map

A) Potter’s Field:
Jeronimo’s main star port is quite isolated. Taking it would provide a great advantage, but a landing here would face heavy opposition.

B) Apache Junction:
The largest city on White Horse, Apache Junction holds most of the planet’s factories. Taking Apache Junction is a primary objective. Landing directly in the city is impossible.

C) Sonora:
Taking Sonora is a primary objective. Landing directly in the city is impossible.

D) Chihuahua:
The planetary capitol, and likely the seat of the Hell’s Horses’ power. Taking Chihuahua is a primary objective. Landing directly in the city is impossible.

E) Mt. Gila:
The highly volcanic White Horse continent is home to most of the planet’s geothermal power plants. Capturing or destroying these plants would greatly hinder the Hell’s Horses. Landing here would be nearly impossible.

F) Pebble Beach:
A vast stretch of black sand gradually eroding into the ocean, Pebble Beach is open and exposed to enemy air attacks but would make for an easy landing site in easy reach of Apache Junction.

G) Topside Woods:
An excellent place for an ambush, landing here would be difficult but not dangerous.

H) Long Sound:
Sparsely wooded, Long Sound is an excellent defensive position; but with water on three sides there’s nowhere to withdraw. Landing here would be easy.

I) Kas-Ki-Yeh:
the Kas-Ki-Yeh badlands is some of the hottest and most difficult terrain on Jeronimo. Soaring temperatures will bake BattleMechs, but the rugged terrain will force enemies into knife fighting range.

J) The Dales:
Vast and empty, The Dales are a massive stretch of excellent farm- and ranchland that feed the bulk of Jeronimo’s population. Vast, flat, and open, The Dales is also heavily patrolled and extremely vulnerable to air attacks.

K) Bottomside Woods:
Heavily forested, the Bottomside Woods is heavily traveled and will likely be heavily patrolled. Landing here would not be easy.

L) Mosquito:
A safe landing zone next to Chihuahua, the Mosquito is a massive swamp stretching for over a hundred kilometers in any direction. Landing here is easy, but breaking out of the muck won’t be.

The Death Commandos

Company Yan
Yan1) Cong Tsui (p2g1) - STLK-3H Stalker
Yan2) Urjasz Sobczak (p2g1) - BLR-1G Battlemaster
Yan3) Ho He (p2g1) - CRK-5003-0 Crockett (jump jets)
Yan4) Terrace Williams (p1g0) - AS7-DC Atlas
Yan5) Reece Collier (p2g1) - CTF-1X Cataphract
Yan6) Lukas Boehm (p2g1) - ARC-2R Archer
Yan7) Iskander Vassiliev (p2g1) - CGR-1A5 Charger
Yan8) Xiang Yi (p1g1) - FLSH-8K Flashman
Yan9) Nkiruka Olisaemeka (p2g1) - RVN-1DC Raven
Yan10) Louw Bouman (p2g1) - PO-2L Po
Yan11) Ethan Parkinson (p2g1) - PO-2L Po
Yan12) Zdenko Horvat (p1g1) - PHX-1 Phoenix Hawk (jump jets)

Company Ma Mian (Ox-Head)
Ox1) Hob Sibenik (p2g1) - CTF-1X Cataphract
Ox2) Alimah Hayaam Attia (p2g1) - CTF-1X Cataphract
Ox3) Phùng Tan Tuy (p2g1) - WHT-DC Whitworth (jump jets)
Ox4) Jabel Jaime Meraz (p1g0) - MLN-1A Merlin (jump jets)
Ox5) Yu Ts'ai (p2g1) - DV-6M Dervish (jump jets)
Ox6) Joseph Lapresse (p2g1) - WTH-1 Whitworth (jump jets)
Ox7) Luan Araujo Carvalho (p2g1) - VND-1R Vindicator (jump jets)
Ox8) Shin Hytönen (p1g1) - MAD-3L Marauder
Ox9) Ilve Duran Leiva (p2g1) - RVN-1DC Raven
Ox10) Gustave Allaire (p2g1) - FS9-A Firestarter (jump jets)
Ox11) Zoja Nowicka (p2g1) - JVN-10N Javelin
Ox12) Jafar Nur al Din Issa (p1g1) - PO-2L Po

Company Niu Tou (Horse-Face)
Horse1) Petrit Hul (p2g1) - HBK-4G Hunchback
Horse2) Lucilla Iadanza (p2g1) - HBK-4G Hunchback
Horse3) Karolin Ostermann (p2g1) - HBK-4G Hunchback
Horse4) Emil Voronov (p1g0) - HBK-4P Hunchback
Horse5) Tanta Hogpen (p2g1) - BJ-1DB Blackjack (jump jets)
Horse6) Faruz Neftalem (p2g1) - PO-2L Po
Horse7) Antonina Balashova (p2g1) - VND-1R Vindicator (jump jets)
Horse8) Fai Chiang (p1g1) - VND-1R Vindicator (jump jets)
Horse9) Xiang Chiu (p2g1) - RVN-1DC Raven
Horse10) Chiyoe Takahasi (p2g1) - MON-67 Mongoose
Horse11) Quennel Pelletier (p2g1) - RVN-1DC Raven
Horse12) Lian Chia (p1g1) - HSR-300-D Hussar

So, goons, where do we land and who do we play? Voting is now open!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 23, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We should play as Yan Company, who should land at F, Pebble Peach and make way to the starport.

The other two companies should land in Landing Zone L, Mosquito, and proceed to punch the Hells Horses in the dick.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Yan Company looks like the best to play as (Flashman :swoon:). G would be good for a landing, as it is easily defensible, especially with the other companies landing in H (Ox) and K (Horse).

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 23, 2012

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well now. I dare say asking for a full breakdown on every 'Mech from some of the wiser and more experienced among us might be asking a bit much.

I'll note that Ox seems to have a lot of jumpers, so naturally they'll be fit to fight in rougher terrain. Horse seems to have the heaviest close-range firepower, and all those Hunchies would make a hell of an anvil for the scouts to hammer things on.

But Yan? Those boys have the biggest guns and I dare say I want to see them in action. They might also be the best option to take a tough landing, too. Also I'm voting for anything with a Battlemaster innit. They've also got not one but two of our own Goonmade Po 'Mechs.

I say we play as Yan company and take H) The Long Sound. While LZ Mosquito is closer to the planetary capital, it's also a big muck and our Death Commando suicide squad would be vulnerable to artillery and Clan support elements, of which CHH has in abundance. They can sweep south from there and support Ox-Head before moving on to the Capital.

Ox-Head should land in I) Kas-Ki-Yeh, en route to Sonora.

The Horse-Face Killas should touch down on F) Pebble Beach and make their way to Mt. Gila before striking Apache Junction. If they're in good enough condition they could stop by Potter's Field after hitting the power plants before moving on the city.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ox seems the most balanced. They should drop at F to make an approach on the geothermal power.

Yan is our assault team, so let's drop them right into the Starport at A. Yeah, there's heavy opposition, but breaking through fortified positions is what an assault company is FOR.

Horse company can drop at J, which should be advantageous with all those HBKs and jumping mechs. From there they can attack C, because the Death Commandos would probably try to starve people into submission by cutting off local and imported food (A and C) and then taking down power (B)

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 23, 2012

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Yan Company sounds great.

Landing at F Three valuable locations we could move to from F means three locations the opposition has to split their forces to cover.

Oh right, Ox to H and Horse to J

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 23, 2012

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I would say play Yan Company and to have them land directly in A. Because holy poo poo a p1/g0 in a loving Atlas. And where best to throw what looks like the heaviest company than directly into heavy opposition at the starport?

But I don't really know much about Battletech strategy, especially campaign strategy, so I'm just voting for what sounds most awesome. And I don't really have an opinion on where the other companies should go.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I dare say my choices look like an overcautious nancy's in comparison.

But still, Yan Company represent!

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

malkav11 posted:

I would say play Yan Company and to have them land directly in A). Because holy poo poo a p1/g0 in a loving Atlas. And where best to throw what looks like the heaviest company than directly into heavy opposition at the starport?

But I don't really know much about Battletech strategy, especially campaign strategy, so I'm just voting for what sounds most awesome. And I don't really have an opinion on where the other companies should go.

Starports often have orbital guns, and at the very least there's a good chance of the dropship that would land there getting hosed up. Remember Mechcommander!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Here's my operational plan.

Ox-Head, having the most jumpers, lands in L) Mosquito. Horse lands in K) Bottomside Woods. Meanwhile, Yan lands in F) Pebble Beach.

Yan then takes out the generators at E) Mt. Gila, while Horse and Ox-Head do a pincer decapitation strike to capture D) Chihuahua.

With their leadership gone and without power, the remaining Horses should be in disarray and should allow for an easy mop-up by the consolidated Ox-Head and Horse force sweeping west, then north, then east, while Yan takes either the Spaceport or Apache Junction, depending on how things go.

Given that Yan would be operating on its own in this model, and Yan's strike at the generators will be crucial in the success of the Horse/Ox-head assault on Chihuahua, we should directly control Yan.

Yan lands at F) Pebble Beach
Ox-Head lands at L) Mosquito
Horse lands at K) Bottomside Woods

Goons control Yan

• Locked thread