Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Rumda posted:

Just make sure you let the copperhead hang himself with his own rope or you'll never be rid of him.

That is good advice against Clanners in general.

VVV The vote was "Use bondsmen (and if so, where)." I wouldn't have let you swap out an uninjured pilot for a bondsman, because that wasn't an option.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sorry I assumed we could swap out the Hussar's mechwarrior. In that vote where we were assigning people to mechs I sort of figured it was a free-for-all; guess not.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Just run the drat Hussar right off the map. The next mission will be Hussar and the turrets against the world.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That is a viable solution. The second primary objective will succeed if every surviving `Mech makes it off the bottom edge.

This mission is probably the most difficult one yet, barring maybe Vipers of Somerset; but it doesn't have to be a battle of attrition.

Edit: Someone post something so I don't have to double-post tactical update 1.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 30, 2012

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Crockett would have been nice to have on this map.

Everyone, communicate every turn, listen to the veterans, and keep as many drat woods as you can between the enemy mechs and you until you can get directly in their face and pulverize them with your sheer weight of numbers.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sally Forth: Tactical Update 1

“They are coming.”

Jabel Meraz stretched, back arched as he pulled first one arm over the top of his neurohelmet then the other. Shaking out his wrists, he snapped the pentagonal visor for his Neurohelmet shut and idly toggled his secondary monitor forcing his DI Computer through yet another readiness check before finally deigning to ask, “You’re certain?”

Downfield, the black-painted Cyclops dipped into a bow. “Aff, commander. I have been monitoring their communications. They are aware of us and are moving to engage.”

Jabel shifted, his rugged beard scratching against his neurohelmet’s chin straps. Unlike most mechwarriors, he disdained shaving the sides of his head instead trusting his own ability and the ancient technology in his neurohelmet to handle any difficulties. “What can you tell me about this enemy Star Captain?”

The Cyclops paused mid-step, balanced comically on one leg in what was otherwise an impressive feat of piloting. “Star Captain Tjris Amirault is a ristar in the Clan. He served with distinction as a simple mechwarrior on Luthien and defeated two `Mechs to win a Captaincy in the same month he won his Bloodname. He favors flexibility and independence and has granted his second star almost complete battlefield autonomy.”

Jabel considered this information for a moment, “So what you’re saying is: he may have been elevated too quickly and isn’t used to managing so many warriors at once. That could be advantageous if his units aren’t being closely coordinated.”

“That is,” Wilberforce paused for a few moments, “an astute observation. In theory anyone capable of winning a position can handle the responsibilities involved—a warrior only rises to the level of his ability—but what you say could be the case. Other things to consider: one of his pilots has been temporarily assigned a slow, second-line `Mech while his binary waits for replacement equipment. That `Mech will have difficulty keeping formation and will almost certainly be left to its own devices.”

“He lacks patience, then?”

“Star Captain Tjris Amirault is—is a Clan mechwarrior. He favors hit and run tactics but if you deny him a clean engagement or hit him harder than expected he will grow frustrated. He isn’t a fool, however: frustrate him enough and you may even force him from the field.”

Mission Objective:

Defeat Clan Forces (0/10)

Or

Bypass Clan Forces (0/14)

Key:
X1 Banshee IIC, X2 Archer, X3 Po
X4 Merlin, X5 Marauder, X6 Hunchback
X7 Blackjack, X8 Dervish, X9 Vindicator
X10 Mongoose, X11 Hussar, X12 Cyclops IIC
X13 Exterminator IIC, X14 Atlas

Enemy Movement Mods:
Don’t matter this turn.
E1 Sohei:
E2 Wolf Spider:
E3 Copperhead:
E4 Rifleman IIC:
E5 Swordbreaker:
F1 Swordbreaker:
F2 Unknown:
F3 Unknown:
F4 Seagull:
F5 Anklebiter:

Player `Mech Status

Enemy `Mech Status

Attention, Mechwarriors! You will be receiving a PM / E-Mail soon.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sally Forth: Tactical Update 1

“They are coming.”

Jabel Meraz stretched, back arched as he pulled first one arm over the top of his neurohelmet then the other. Shaking out his wrists, he snapped the pentagonal visor for his Neurohelmet shut and idly toggled his secondary monitor forcing his DI Computer through yet another readiness check before finally deigning to ask, “You’re certain?”

Downfield, the black-painted Cyclops dipped into a bow. “Aff, commander. I have been monitoring their communications. They are aware of us and are moving to engage.”

Jabel shifted, his rugged beard scratching against his neurohelmet’s chin straps. Unlike most mechwarriors, he disdained shaving the sides of his head instead trusting his own ability and the ancient technology in his neurohelmet to handle any difficulties. “What can you tell me about this enemy Star Captain?”

The Cyclops paused mid-step, balanced comically on one leg in what was otherwise an impressive feat of piloting. “Star Captain Tjris Amirault is a ristar in the Clan. He served with distinction as a simple mechwarrior on Luthien and defeated two `Mechs to win a Captaincy in the same month he won his Bloodname. He favors flexibility and independence and has granted his second star almost complete battlefield autonomy.”

Jabel considered this information for a moment, “So what you’re saying is: he may have been elevated too quickly and isn’t used to managing so many warriors at once. That could be advantageous if his units aren’t being closely coordinated.”

“That is,” Wilberforce paused for a few moments, “an astute observation. In theory anyone capable of winning a position can handle the responsibilities involved—a warrior only rises to the level of his ability—but what you say could be the case. Other things to consider: one of his pilots has been temporarily assigned a slow, second-line `Mech while his binary waits for replacement equipment. That `Mech will have difficulty keeping formation and will almost certainly be left to its own devices.”

“He lacks patience, then?”

“Star Captain Tjris Amirault is—is a Clan mechwarrior. He favors hit and run tactics but if you deny him a clean engagement or hit him harder than expected he will grow frustrated. He isn’t a fool, however: frustrate him enough and you may even force him from the field.”

Okay, let's parse this.

First up, some commentary on the Clan's 'promotion by personal combat skill' mentality rather than on, say, strategic merit. 'Kay.

"That could be advantageous if his units aren’t being closely coordinated."
I'm parsing this as 'We might get mechanical benefits if his star's get scattered.'

"one of his pilots has been temporarily assigned a slow, second-line `Mech while his binary waits for replacement equipment."

Not sure what to make of this, beyond the obvious.

May play by Clan rules at first, can be forced from the field if we hit them hard enough. Would we rather hash things out here in the woods or in the city?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Mandozer doesn't have any viable contact information, his `Mech has been inherited by Shoeless.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

the JJ posted:

Okay, let's parse this.

I'm not sure it requires this level of analysis. You're not playing against a computer here, PTN might just have the two stars be a bit uncoordinated. It's pretty transparent advice.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Loving those charts. Way easier for me to get a quick mental picture of the Mech's status.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Godspeed goon company, godspeed.

(For the love of everything that is holy co-ordinate your fire and movement, but especially your fire!)

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

cafel posted:

Godspeed goon company, godspeed.

(For the love of everything that is holy co-ordinate your fire and movement, but especially your fire!)

Ironically enough, I've spent the last few months pondering on how I was going to make sure every shot I fired was coordinated with all my teammates... then I was given a character who performs best while acting suicidally and dropping every bit of firepower she's got against someone who is not being actively engaged by everyone else. So I'll actually be coordinating *not* shooting the same dude as everyone else - go figure. On the plus side if I get my conditional modifiers I shoot with 0 gunnery, so that's nice. :black101:

Just waiting on being inducted into Googledoc, I received the PM and sent a request to be let in.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
You should be in now. There is only one person left, who hasn't checked in I think.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
PTN, I am a little concerned you might not have the right contact info for me (after checking with one of the other players to see if they'd been contacted yet and they have been). What address are you sending to?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Minor nitpick, but you have the Dervish listed as a 60t heavy. It is a 55t medium.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Player `Mech Status

X1 Banshee IIC's CTORS stat is a placeholder, and you left out X11 Hussar's Movement stats.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
And here I was liking having AAAA be my CT durability. Figured it was a tad prophetic.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

On the bright side, their best pilot is in the mech with the least firepower or very near it. It may be able to jump all over the place but it really isn't doing much when it gets were its going.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

On the bright side, their best pilot is in the mech with the least firepower or very near it. It may be able to jump all over the place but it really isn't doing much when it gets were its going.

One of our best pilots is in a hussar :colbert:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Andrevian posted:

Yeah. I think I've PMed it to everyone who has PMs thus far.

If you don't have it, either ping me, or the doc is here. Request access with your SA username.

Not me :( I realize Miranda is just a bondswoman but still...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

b0lt posted:

Yeah, but he's not markedly better than the entire rest of his unit. They have a 1/1 driving a pair of lpls and the entire rest of the binary is 3/4. We have a 1/1 in a sea of 1/2s

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

b0lt posted:

Which is why you should run him off the map.

Hi, I'm a broken record.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

the JJ posted:

Okay, let's parse this.

First up, some commentary on the Clan's 'promotion by personal combat skill' mentality rather than on, say, strategic merit. 'Kay.

"That could be advantageous if his units aren’t being closely coordinated."
I'm parsing this as 'We might get mechanical benefits if his star's get scattered.'

"one of his pilots has been temporarily assigned a slow, second-line `Mech while his binary waits for replacement equipment."

Not sure what to make of this, beyond the obvious.

May play by Clan rules at first, can be forced from the field if we hit them hard enough. Would we rather hash things out here in the woods or in the city?

Rifleman IIC is a second line mech, its slow but often second line can out punch frontline in sheer nasty, Siedmans bane was also a second line and that was the :krakken: mech.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

Rifleman IIC is a second line mech, its slow but often second line can out punch frontline in sheer nasty, Siedmans bane was also a second line and that was the :krakken: mech.

My understanding is the Rifleman IIC is retardedly dangerous. It has good armor protection, standard engine, jump jets, and 4 Clan Large Pulse Lasers. Like if we were talking about mechs to remove from the field ASAP, it would be my second or third choice.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
The Hellstar is a second line design right, seeing as how it isn't an omni? It is also exceedingly dangerous. Why? 4 ERPPCs, and the ability to go 4-4-3, then repeat with them if you don't want movement penalties (Yes, it has that many DHS). It's also got a 380 XL Engine, making for a rather speedy 95 tonner (4/6).

landcollector fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 1, 2012

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Holy hell, it's like an Awesome made entirely out of bullshit.

Don't post about that where PTN can read it. He doesn't need more ideas.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Hellstar is a frontline machine, it's just a non-Omni because of the time period it was built in. It's a replacement for the Masakari, of which there are less than a dozen left in the whole IS.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Holy hell, it's like an Awesome made entirely out of bullshit.

Don't post about that where PTN can read it. He doesn't need more ideas.

A Lore bonus? Clan Hell's Horses co-developed this design with another Clan (Wolf-In-Exile). Also, PTN has known about the Hellstar for a while, but hasn't decided to bring it into the narrative as of yet (and likely won't for a long time, if ever).

Defiance Industries posted:

The Hellstar is a frontline machine, it's just a non-Omni because of the time period it was built in. It's a replacement for the Masakari, of which there are less than a dozen left in the whole IS.

Thanks for the correction. Whenever I see numbers following the name of a Clan mech rather than letters/Prime, I assume the mech is a second line design.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 1, 2012

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Servicio en Espanol posted:

My understanding is the Rifleman IIC is retardedly dangerous. It has good armor protection, standard engine, jump jets, and 4 Clan Large Pulse Lasers. Like if we were talking about mechs to remove from the field ASAP, it would be my second or third choice.

It really is. It's basically as optimized as you can make a cheap heavy 'Mech. It has maximum armor, and has 4 of the deadliest weapons in the Clan arsenal with the heat sinks to use them. Sure, it's only 3/5, but it has jump jets and with 4 Large Pulses, it's not like you need to get close anyways. And without an XL Engine or ammo, it can take a pretty good pounding before going down.

Like the Hellstar, the problem with it more then anything else is that it is kinda boring to play. Every turn is pretty much Shoot Target With All Guns, repeat, drop a single weapon if you get hot. It can and will absolutely shred some of the lighter Goon 'Mechs if it gets a good shot at them.

The other Clan 'Mechs are all pretty scary too; Stormcrows/Swordbreakers are solid mediums, and there is an uncomfortable number of ERPPCs and other headcappers heading the Goon's way.

So you're all dead, pretty much.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's pretty true until the Jihad, when the Clans lose access to their Homeworlds manufacturing and have to use the plants they only used to make old designs. Then they have to use standard designs.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

It really is. It's basically as optimized as you can make a cheap heavy 'Mech. It has maximum armor, and has 4 of the deadliest weapons in the Clan arsenal with the heat sinks to use them. Sure, it's only 3/5, but it has jump jets and with 4 Large Pulses, it's not like you need to get close anyways. And without an XL Engine or ammo, it can take a pretty good pounding before going down.

Like the Hellstar, the problem with it more then anything else is that it is kinda boring to play. Every turn is pretty much Shoot Target With All Guns, repeat, drop a single weapon if you get hot. It can and will absolutely shred some of the lighter Goon 'Mechs if it gets a good shot at them.

The other Clan 'Mechs are all pretty scary too; Stormcrows/Swordbreakers are solid mediums, and there is an uncomfortable number of ERPPCs and other headcappers heading the Goon's way.

So you're all dead, pretty much.

We were dead when we arrived. If we survive then we get to live again.
Not a hard thing to face.

Just means we have to coordinate closely and exploit every drat opportunity we get. Also having a suicidal Clanner in your lead mech can't hurt.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The whole point of this map is "lots of light/heavy woods". Get in cover and get close and it should be a more even fight (you also have better pilots).

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Oh Jesus Christ, someone gave me control of the Atlas.

Edit: Two stars. Let's move up under cover and see who sticks his nose out.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 1, 2012

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
*double post*

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
[redacted]

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 1, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

A good poster posted:

X1 Banshee IIC's CTORS stat is a placeholder, and you left out X11 Hussar's Movement stats.

The Hussar's a 9/14/0

Edit: 'reply' is not 'copy paste.' That's good to know.

Edit: Oh, and I should mention, I'm not going to be thrilled if you guys make me draw a million fires all over the map. I'm tracking 24 units this time around so please try not to burn down the entire planet.

Fires really aren't going to do anything except screw you over (Clanners give no fucks about fire 95% of the time). There're some units here that'll be affected but typically to the order of 'fire one less medium laser this turn.'

A couple of strategic fires are ok, but I'll break out the light rain if you get out of hand with the fire-starting. I was tempted to use rain anyway but I rolled clear weather.

VVV When the first orders I receive are 'do I have line of sight to start a fire in [hex]?' I have to comment.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 1, 2012

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Uh oh guys, he's on to us!

More seriously though, we're not planning on starting too many I don't think. We're going to have to start some of course, but not many.

I'll also suggest against decoy fires. Why decoy fires? I don't even know.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

VVV When the first orders I receive are 'do I have line of sight to start a fire in [hex]?' I have to comment.

:argh:

edit: Which direction is the wind blowing? :colbert:

b0lt fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 1, 2012

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

b0lt posted:

:argh:

edit: Which direction is the wind blowing? :colbert:

We're not having spreading fires. That's not going to be a thing. PTN will murder us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Strange, that should work, but it doesn't appear to be anywhere. Try no longer needed instead?

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 1, 2012

• Locked thread