Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Gyros use lamb not beef you Inner Sphere heathen

Lamb is Lostech, therefore beef is the closest substitute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Cowcaster posted:

Gyros use lamb not beef you Inner Sphere heathen

I knew I'd get someone with that. :getin:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Pah. Clan gyros is twice as flavourful, twice as juicy and has half the fat. Also it's called shwarma

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Pah. Clan gyros is twice as flavourful, twice as juicy and has half the fat. Also it's called shwarma

But it only stay warm for half as long :(

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Capellan gyros have triple-strength pita bread, which becomes abnormally delicious just before it gets burnt.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

God I'm hungry right now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
My kingdom for some Swarm LRMs.

Edit: Next turn? Next turn will be the "Oh. poo poo." turn.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 12, 2012

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

My kingdom for some Swarm LRMs.

Edit: Next turn? Next turn will be the "Oh. poo poo." turn.

Hmm, could the Clans in this alternate timeline have developed Swarm-I munitions? That edit makes me perform a combination of :ohdear: and :stare:.

v v v I suppose I could have been more clear. I was just musing about the Clans having them at all, not wondering if they are in this scenario.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 12, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

Hmm, could the Clans in this alternate timeline have developed Swarm-I munitions? That edit makes me perform a combination of :ohdear: and :stare:.

Only one `Mech on the field has LRMs and it's in no position to fire them anytime soon.

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

landcollector posted:

Lamb is Lostech, therefore beef is the closest substitute.

I kinda want to go through the thread and list out all the things that have been declared lostech.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Bass Concert Hall posted:

I kinda want to go through the thread and list out all the things that have been declared lostech.

At least the forums search isn't lostech anymore.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bass Concert Hall posted:

This thread is 40,000 posts long. Do you know how much it would cost to transmit this thread via HPG?

That's right, twice as much as it would cost to transmit it via Clan HPG.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TildeATH posted:

This thread is 40,000 posts long. Do you know how much it would cost to transmit this thread via HPG?

No Crabstar has the advantage in HPG sorry.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TildeATH posted:

That's actually very easy to figure out! Unlike the House currencies, whic are backed by valuable metals, gems, Germanium, and water-rich planets, the C-Bill is a fiat currency. One C-Bill will get you one page of text or one second of audio/video recorded transmission, no matter where you are. Therefore, to send this thread would cost you 811 C-Bills, assuming you removed all the images.

Like I wouldn't know about money.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

That's actually very easy to figure out! Unlike the House currencies, whic are backed by valuable metals, gems, Germanium, and water-rich planets, the C-Bill is a fiat currency. One C-Bill will get you one page of text or one second of audio/video recorded transmission, no matter where you are. Therefore, to send this thread would cost you 811 C-Bills, assuming you removed all the images.

Like I wouldn't know about money.

:eng101: Incorrect! The last few pages of 40 posts are around 10-12 pages of printed text each, meaning the cost would be at least 8110 C-Bills!

*Editted for clarity

landcollector fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 12, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's not what I'm going to tell the goddamn robes.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

How big does the thread have to get before transmitting the thread costs more than a light mech?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sally Forth: Tactical Update 4

“Movement on the ridgeline,” Tanta called as his Blackjack touched down in a copse of spindly evergreens. The long-barreled lasers making up his `Mech’s arms swiveled to track the distant target as its blocky torso rose above the knife-edged stone. “It looks like a—like a—”

“Like a Blackjack,” He paused, shaking his head with incredulity. “if you sawed the arms off and added some Marauder bits. What the hell is it?”

“It’s a front-line scout,” Wilberforce said as though that explained everything.

“It’s gotta be forty tons at least,” Tanta replied with incredulity. “You’re telling me it’s just a big Cicada?”

“Aff, it has comparable armor to your Blackjack but is twice as fast.” Wilberforce paused for a moment, then continued. “It is a front-line `Mech favored by the Ice Hellions. I have never seen one fielded, so I could not give you a detailed armament but I do know it is somewhat lacking in pod space. Most of that model’s configurations would have a reasonable chance of defeating any one of our `Mechs in single combat.”

“Well, it looks like a Blackjack,” Tanta insisted. “Should we call it a Cudgel?”

Mission Objective:

Defeat Clan Forces (0/10)

Or

Bypass Clan Forces (0/14)

Key:
X1 Banshee IIC, X2 Archer, X3 Po
X4 Merlin, X5 Marauder, X6 Hunchback
X7 Blackjack, X8 Dervish, X9 Vindicator
X10 Mongoose, X11 Hussar, X12 Cyclops IIC
X13 Exterminator IIC, X14 Atlas

Enemy Movement Mods:
Don’t matter this turn.
E1 Sohei: +2
E2 Wolf Spider: +2
E3 Copperhead: +2
E4 Rifleman IIC: +1
E5 Swordbreaker: +2
F1 Swordbreaker: +2
F2 Unknown: +2
F3 Unknown: +2
F4 Seagull: +4 Jumped
F5 Anklebiter: +3

Player `Mech Status

Enemy `Mech Status

Surprise Vote: “Should We Call It A Cudgel?”
A) Yes
B) No (if no, what do we call it instead?)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 12, 2012

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

How big does the thread have to get before transmitting the thread costs more than a light mech?

A light mech costs, maybe, 2.5 million Cbills, let's say. If each page of this thread is 10 pages of text, that's around 8,000 Cbills, as LandCollector stated. So, It'd have to be pretty freaking big.

Edit: A)Yes

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 12, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Soylent Pudding posted:

If we had someone read it aloud and transmitted that, it would probably cost as much as a Mjolnir.

Surprise vote
Cudgel sounds like the name of a bigger mech. Voting B.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Voting A on the Cudgel. May as well, it's got more snap to it than "Shillelagh."

Defiance Industries posted:

Cudgel sounds like the name of a bigger mech.

I think cudgels are actually pretty compact as far as blunt instruments go.

EDIT: I just realized how clumped up we are. Just reading the doc doesn't help visualize the fustercluck as much as seeing it in action.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

A. I like the clever turnaround from "Blackjack" to "Cudgel." Plus, it's described, essentially, as a meaner Blackjack, so the Cudgel designation makes sense. It also evokes something of a primitive vibe, which is sure to be a slap in the face of any clanners who hear about it.

In short, I like.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

That is a big pile of Inner Sphere 'Mechs there. The first turn robots shoot at each other is gonna be awesome.

e: call it a a Cudgel.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

A) Cudgel, let's do this thing. Sure beats "Conk Buster". thank you thesaurus.com

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

B) Call it the Twenty One.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Did that hussar just run a lap?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Mezzanon posted:

Did that hussar just run a lap?

:derp:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I love the total clusterfuck that is gooncompany movement this turn.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Does F2 have LOS to X11? I don't know the specifics of elevation vs. trees.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What the gently caress is with the gooncompany's movement this turn? :psyduck:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

B. It should be called a Sap.

A blackjack is a leather thing with a weight in it for smacking someone on the back of the head. It's flexible and designed to be non-lethal. A sap is basically the same thing. Another name used sometimes is cosh, which I'd also go for.

A cudgel is a smallish wooden club.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

This is what happens when you throw together 12 people who's only thing in common is a love of giant stompy robots, and you give them a wide open field to frolic in.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Eh, why not?

Voting A) Yes, call it the Cudgel.

I initially went :psyduck: at X11's movement, but I understand the reason. If X11 gets too far ahead, it will be vaporized. If it doesn't move, it might have been an easy target. This way it gets a +3 move mod (?), retains its cover bonus, and sticks close to the rest of Xi Company as well.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

apostateCourier posted:

Does F2 have LOS to X11? I don't know the specifics of elevation vs. trees.

No. F2 has a four-storey hill in front of him.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

No. F2 has a four-storey hill in front of him.

But he's standing on the third floor balcony in a giant walking tank.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

B. It should be called a Whitejack because it's a Blackjack but with a tinier weapon. :shepface:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

SynthOrange posted:

We don't want to be too far apart, but there's a lot of disparity in speed for our units. So in order to time getting to the same point within a turn or so of each other, sometimes faster units need to do ridiculous things. Like so.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
A

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
So, did you really draw a turtle with your movement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A

• Locked thread