Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

The new format looked a bit crowded to me, especially with units not firing. It did look a little cleaner with regard to the numbers though. I guess it'll take some getting used to.

TIMG isn't a bad idea, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
How's this?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

It looks alright. Maybe not include weapons which weren't fired during the turn's combat phase?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Now that's swanky, if a bit huge- it's roughly as tall as 3 'mechs-worth of the previous layout. Maybe that could be an "as necessary" kind of readout, if the previous one won't work for the turn in question?

I also agree with landcollector's suggestion.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

It looks alright. Maybe not include weapons which weren't fired during the turn's combat phase?

That would make me have to edit the spreadsheets every single update. The intention of this is to save me time by not having to go back and forth between 3-4 open windows every update (with the hopeful side benefit of improving readability for everyone else).

Edit: My other option would be to cut out the to hit numbers like so:

which improves readability, but I don't like the loss of transparency.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 20, 2012

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

First blood! :woop:

Now lets see if I can find a marginally safer place to jump to.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It'd probably be better to leave the hit numbers and stuff in. It's not that we don't trust you, but there have been a few situations where we've been able to point out accidental miscalculations in the past. Gives you less of a headache in the long run.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Aha, so it begins! Also, drat, they're at least partially following honor duel rules. Oh well for that.

Pringlescan4
Jul 6, 2006
Grimey Drawer

enigma74 posted:

Aha, so it begins! Also, drat, they're at least partially following honor duel rules. Oh well for that.

I wonder if they would agree to Steiner Duel Rules . . .

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You don't just get handed Steiner Rules. You have to earn it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pringlescan4 posted:

I wonder if they would agree to Steiner Duel Rules . . .

Challenging Clanners isn't actually a thing. Most of the time they'll simply ignore you.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Challenging Clanners isn't actually a thing. Most of the time they'll simply ignore you.

Pretty much. Unless you've got a hell of a reputation, or they call you out (and you think you can take them), it's best to just do the IS standard of focus firing- generally with a full lance per target if you can manage it. Of course, I wouldn't put it past Gooncompany to attempt to vaporize a single target with overwhelming firepower. Though 13.5 mechs (sorry, Hastur) on one target is a bit much, even if it is a clanner.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

apostateCourier posted:

Pretty much. Unless you've got a hell of a reputation, or they call you out (and you think you can take them), it's best to just do the IS standard of focus firing- generally with a full lance per target if you can manage it. Of course, I wouldn't put it past Gooncompany to attempt to vaporize a single target with overwhelming firepower. Though 13.5 mechs (sorry, Hastur) on one target is a bit much, even if it is a clanner.

Not with PTN's dice it isn't. They'll miss on twos. Somehow.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Not with PTN's dice it isn't. They'll miss on twos. Somehow.

shots that would hit the legs, but were blocked by intervening 1-high cover? That'd do it, and you should now consider this a prediction.

Westwind
Oct 17, 2012
I think Stevie hit. He's on Base 1, which must mean he got the -2 for his gunnery blindside trait, but Wilberforce is still active, so it should be 0?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Westwind posted:

I think Stevie hit. He's on Base 1, which must mean he got the -2 for his gunnery blindside trait, but Wilberforce is still active, so it should be 0?

It's not a side arc. He only gets the blindside benefit if he's attacking from a side arc.

Edit: He actually needed a 14 to hit, so I'll be crediting him some LRM ammo.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 21, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Got orders for two in. Double-posting because I'm worried somebody missed the update? :ohdear:

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

PTN, I sent you a PM. I'm awaiting a reply so I can determine my move.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Got orders for two in. Double-posting because I'm worried somebody missed the update? :ohdear:

Yeah, sorry, I've been with family all weekend and my aunt apparently might get 10-20 on Monday. Soooo. Sending new orders now.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Orders in. Was kinda waiting to make sure we were all still on the same page.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
I'll have orders in tonight. Sorry, been a little busy and I forgot to check the doc and all.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Poptart, Mr. Ninja, sir- I do believe you may have missed my attempt to join your Potential Mechwarrior list. Unfortunately I find myself without the Private Messaging service, so instead I present my E-mail for your use now, so you are spared the indignity of combing the thread for it: <REDACTED>

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 23, 2012

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Checking everything now. I'm up at my friend's for parties and stuff and I just got internet time. Sad to see I not only missed, but got hit on a higher number. Your dice.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ My dice indeed. I use the same set for the players that I do for the OpForce so yeah. Maybe I should do a few test rolls to warm them up so the players will start getting the outrageous luck.

apostateCourier posted:

Poptart, Mr. Ninja, sir- I do believe you may have missed my attempt to join your Potential Mechwarrior list.

I've got you, I just haven't been able to update the main page in a bit. It's on there now and the list should be up to date.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

apostateCourier posted:

Poptart, Mr. Ninja, sir- I do believe you may have missed my attempt to join your Potential Mechwarrior list. Unfortunately I find myself without the Private Messaging service, so instead I present my E-mail for your use now, so you are spared the indignity of combing the thread for it:
Click the little question mark underneath your avatar.

You're on your own from now on.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Aaah! I completely missed the update. Let me review and see what I can do, sorry!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SageNytell posted:

Aaah! I completely missed the update. Let me review and see what I can do, sorry!

Aha, my paranoia was justified!

Sorry again for the delays, everyone.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Missing orders from:

X1 X3/X10 X7/X11 and X9

The deadline's running short.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Aw, I was hoping that was the update. Get your orders in, guys.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Orders in. I am not sure if I have LOS on anything, but if I do I might be able to rough up the Seagull a bit more.

Seriously, 7 jump movement and it's armament cannot be allowed to live.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Orders sent, sorry for the delay.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Orders in, and I'm sorry again!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No need to apologize, everyone's orders are in on time. It's too late for me to start in on the update, but I've got a day off tomorrow so this works out perfectly.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

No need to apologize, everyone's orders are in on time. It's too late for me to start in on the update, but I've got a day off tomorrow so this works out perfectly.

My prediction.

:rolldice: :ese: :cry: :ohdear:. 2-3 goons die.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
In a turn where virtually no line of sight is likely to exist?

That's next turn.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's next turn.

I am not good with time management, it is true. so I will save :ohdear: for next turn.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's next turn.

Failed PSR's and TAC's. :downsgun:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That is quite the Bait Ball the players have going on.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

That is quite the Bait Ball the players have going on.

Come take a bite. I swear I won't come out of the woods like a 100-foot tall wolfman to gobble you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sally Forth: Tactical Update 6

Combat Phase:

After playing around with the formatting for several hours, I came to one conclusion. I was overcomplicating things.

“Copperhead on the ridgeline,” Lukas Boehm’s targeting computer painted a grim picture.
“And another `Mech my computer’s tagging a Marauder.”

“He will make for the highest ground and a clear field of fire,” Wilberforce announced after a few moments. “It will enable him to bombard our forces with impunity unless we can get close enough to force him off. That other `Mech is a Wolf Spider—”

“Can’t be,” Chiyoe Takahasi replied dubiously. “I’ve studied every Clan `Mech in ComStar’s database, the profile is all wrong.”

“It is an Omnimech,” Piet growled. “Stravag idio—”

Lukas chuckled quietly as Wilberforce squelched the angry woman’s comm. channels again. “What Piet is trying to say,” Wilberforce continued, “is that Omnimechs are variable. They will not always have the same profile or performance characteristics. The only standard feature on a Wolf Spider is a flamer.”

Mission Objective:

Defeat Clan Forces (0/10)

Or

Bypass Clan Forces (0/14)

Key:
X1 Banshee IIC, X2 Archer, X3 Po
X4 Merlin, X5 Marauder, X6 Hunchback
X7 Blackjack, X8 Dervish, X9 Vindicator
X10 Mongoose, X11 Hussar, X12 Cyclops IIC
X13 Exterminator IIC, X14 Atlas

Enemy Movement Mods:
Don’t matter this turn.