Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

I wonder if the next mission will be an honest to god suicide op. Survive X turns till the dropships are ready to launch. Bonus objectives to survive extra turns to load extra salvage/bondsmen. A glorious final stand would be the perfect end to this campaign.

Yesssss. This would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Nah. See, it turns out, there's more Horsie mechs on planet. It's 40 for us. He's gonna get as many goons as possible in on this. And each turn with take a month.

Alternatively

All urbie's with no guns.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

KnoxZone posted:

I wonder if the next mission will be an honest to god suicide op.

I'd prefer neural implants and targeting computers and large pulse lasers combined with Death Commando pilots resulting in a scene that's equal parts Predator when they destroy the commando base without a single loss and Matrix after the "we need guns, lots of guns".

Range 15, Jumped, Target ran 8 hexes, to-hit of 3.

Oh, and at some point a horror movie scene involving Salamanders dragging a mech down to its death.

I've seen so many suicide ops (and taken part in one myself) in this thread that I'd like to see one mission where the PCs just blow the poo poo out of everything while making fun of their hapless enemies, preferably set to fast-paced rock music or techno.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
We did have the one mission where it was us in a bunch of clan lights against some poor IS bastards.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Voyager I posted:

We did have the one mission where it was us in a bunch of clan lights against some poor IS bastards.

Considering how that went, I'm not sanguine about our odds...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Death commando infantry is gonna appear then, :ninja: at least 5 davion mechs are gonna go down to them.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Paingod556 posted:

Considering how that went, I'm not sanguine about our odds...

I'm not worried. We have a good, low-drama group that works well together. In the last scenario we managed to trash a Clan recon star and put ourselves in a good position to slug it out with the heavy star, I think we can handle what's coming.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Andrevian posted:

Oh my god. That would be amazing.

The Seagull and the EXT-IIC will survive if it happens. Mark my words.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm not worried. We have a good, low-drama group that works well together. In the last scenario we managed to trash a Clan recon star and put ourselves in a good position to slug it out with the heavy star, I think we can handle what's coming.

Surely we can fit in a few knob jokes into the googledoc once the finale starts.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Surely we can fit in a few knob jokes into the googledoc once the finale starts.

We have to wait until then?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

bunnyofdoom posted:

All urbie's with no guns.

I promise there're only five Sunfires.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wait... We control the starport right now don't we? And we've got literal truckloads of explosives left over from the Volcano mission. And we're the Death Commandos.

Rig parts of the starport to explode, feint like you're defending the starport enough to make it convincing then bug out and let them land their heavy assets.

Then blow up the starport with all their poo poo inside it.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Zaodai posted:

Wait... We control the starport right now don't we? And we've got literal truckloads of explosives left over from the Volcano mission. And we're the Death Commandos.

Rig parts of the starport to explode, feint like you're defending the starport enough to make it convincing then bug out and let them land their heavy assets.

Or, failing that, just make the entire planet out of bombs.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Or, failing that, just make the entire planet out of bombs.

Normally, I have no problem with people making sarcastic remarks at my suggestion, but I'm curious as to how boobytrapping the only place they can land their dropships and still have a reasonable time to offload their cargo on the entire planet is in the same ballpark of insanty as "make the entire planet out of bombs".

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Normally, I have no problem with people making sarcastic remarks at my suggestion, but I'm curious as to how boobytrapping the only place they can land their dropships and still have a reasonable time to offload their cargo on the entire planet is in the same ballpark of insanty as "make the entire planet out of bombs".

Simple! You only need more bombs. :pseudo:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Wait... We control the starport right now don't we?

Do you?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well either we do or the Clans we would be working with to enact the plan do, and it wouldn't be that difficult to convince them to let us "investigate" the Starport under the guise of helping defend it.

During the fight, DC troops fall back, Clans either wise up and fall back (unlikely) or assume we're IS cowards and stand and fight and get blown up too. Two birds, one stone.

Of course, that won't happen because it's not in your story, but it's a sound plan and we should at least consider it long enough to get an official "no, you can't do that" out of you so we can say we tried to be clever.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Zaodai posted:

You know what starports are made of?
Hydrogen.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Mission objectives (tenative):

Fight your way to the dropships (the two big Overlords in the back)

Hold off the enemy while the dropships prepare to launch

Beyond that, I'm still looking at positioning/etc.

Edit: Update will be this afternoon once I get home from work.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 16, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I really hope those are YOUR Overlords, GoonUnit, for a few reasons.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Remember guys. These are Davions. Not the brightest bunch. The password is "Thunder." It is always Thunder.

Though... didn't we get everything repainted in Commando Colors? They're Davions, but probably not that stupid.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Sounds like a heroic final stand to me.

Also people shouldn't expect the Davions to be super dumb and fall for obvious traps like the Clanners did. These are the 1st Kestrel, not some silly DMM unit.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

These are the 1st Kestrel, not some silly DMM unit.

This pretty much. We're talking a long-standing elite/fanatical unit here. Expect them to play things smart, aggressive and not be intimidated by anything you throw at them.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Oh, I really like those tentative objectives!

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

Magni posted:

This pretty much. We're talking a long-standing elite/fanatical unit here. Expect them to play things smart, aggressive and not be intimidated by anything you throw at them.

If they're not intimidated by anything we're throwing at them, then they are fools.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Andrevian posted:

If they're not intimidated by anything we're throwing at them, then they are fools.

If I'm still running the Atlas I'll try throwing them at them. That's enough to intimidate anyone.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Jeronimo Campaign Turn 6

Incredulous laughter laced with pain filled the comms. “You don’t know. That old fool Tithon Yeh didn’t tell you.”

“You have gone mad, brother.” Tjris’ deep voice replied. “Remain where you are, we will put you out of your misery soon enough.”

“Neg,” Wilberforce’s laughter only intensified. “You have lost this, Tjris and we both know it. What we do not have is the time to prove it to you. Those ships—those ’Mechs in orbit? They are the forces of Coordinator-Prince Hanse Davion, and his laughable Draconis Suns. The men and women you fight here?”

Wilberforce leaned over his controls, scowling at the pilot of the too-close Wolf Spider. “They are Capellan Death Commandos. They traveled across the breadth of the Inner Sphere. They braved hundreds of light years of enemy territory. Their attack was never about claiming this world, it was all for the honor of pitting themselves against the best warriors the Inner Sphere has ever seen. They came to fight us!”

The barrels of Tjris Amirault’s heavy lasers rose, “and I have given them a fight.”

“Use your head, brother. Or were your brains taken from you after I was turned over to the motor pool?” Wilberforce rocked his Cyclops on its hips, turning his back to Amirault’s Gargoyle. “Neither of us have the forces to oppose Davion’s landing now. These men and women hate Hanse Davion above all else. They came all this way to fight us and to humiliate him by taking one of our worlds before he could do so. Concede defeat, and we will grant you safcon to the starport and fight our way through Hanse Davion’s forces together. Join us in laughing in the face of Prince Hanse Davion as he seizes a strategically valueless world with none of the technology he lusts for.”

Tjris’s voice wavered. “This contest is undecided.”

“This was always a trial of possession,” Wilberforce mused. “So let us change the objectives. If you win, you will be free to reclaim this world. If we win, you and your remaining men will accompany us to the Capellan Confederation. Whichever of our forces defeats more of Hanse Davion’s men shall claim the final victory.”

“You stand to gain much.”

Wilberforce smiled, “Just think of the glory if you win.”

The comms. went silent for a few moments, then the Hell’s Horses stood down. “Bargained well and done,” Tjris replied. “You are correct in one regard, Wil. You know me too well.”

Campaign Map

Emergency Repairs
- Structure damage partially repaired!
- Banshee IIC’s IS PPC replaced with a Clan ER PPC!
- Cyclops IIC’s Ultra AC/20 replaced!
- Cougar Prime reconfigured to Cougar D!
- Wolf Spider E reconfigured to Wolf Spider A

Battalion Company Status:

Company Xi
Xi1) Piet (p4g3)- Banshee IIC (Status: Ok!)
Xi2) Lukas Boehm (p2g1) - ARC-2R Archer (Status: Damaged!)
Xi3) Nkiruka Olisaemeka (p2g1) - PO-2L Po (Status: Field Refit!)
Xi4) Jabel Jaime Meraz (p1g0) - MLN-1A Merlin (jump jets) (Status: Ok!)
Xi5) Shin Hytönen (p1g1) - MAD-3L Marauder (Status: Ok!)
Xi6) Tanta Hogpen (p2g1 (3+)) - BJ-1DB Blackjack (jump jets) (Status: Ok!)
Xi7) Reece Collier(p2g1 (3+)) - DV-6M Dervish (jump jets) (Status:Ok!)
Xi8) Alimah Hayaam Attia (p2g1 (3+))- VND-1R Vindicator (jump jets) (Status: OK!)
Xi9) Chiyoe Takahasi (p2g1 (3+)) - MON-67 Mongoose (Status: Ok!)
Xi10) Louw Bouman (p2g1) - Cyclops IIC (Status: Ok!)
Xi11) Steve (p4[2]g3) - Exterminator IIC (Status: Ok!)
Xi12) Emil Voronov – Atlas (Status: Damaged!)

Echo Star
H1) Star Captain Tjris Amirault (g1p1) - Gargoyle Tjris (jump jets) (Status: Ok!)
H2) Kiren Ravenwater (g3p4) - Wolf Spider A (Status: Ok!)
H3) Nicodemus (g3p4) - Mad Dog Prime (Status: Ok!)
H4) Hastur (g3p4) - Rifleman IIC (Status: Ok!)
H5) Destry Cobb (g3p4) - Stormcrow H (Status: Ok!)

Foxtrot Star
H6) Talyn Hell Horse - Cougar D (Status: Ok!)

Dispossessed:
Xi) Ethan Parkinson (p2g1 (3+))

Bondsmen:
B1) Piet (p4g3) - “Spiteful,” -3 to hit any target firing at Talyn Hell Horse
B2) Steve (p4g3) - Blindside

Clan Pilots:
H1) Tjris Amirault (p1g1) - EI Implants
H2) Kiren Ravenwater (p4g3) - Clan Neural Implants
H3) Nicodemus (p4g3) - Clan Neural Implants
H4) Hastur (p4g3) - “Impending Doom,” if Hastur strikes the same location with two weapons, all other weapons strike that location with a confirmation roll of 5, 6, or 7. “Humiliate,” at the beginning of a shooting phase Hastur may voluntarily attempt to humiliate an opponent, rerolling any duplicate hit locations (once).
H5) Destry Cobb (p4g3) - Clan Neural Implants
H6) Talyn Hell Horse (g3p4) - Draw Fire enemy units within 3 hexes always fire at Talyn Hell Horse unless another target threatens them more

Too Injured to Fight:
Yan) Terrace Williams (11+)
Yan) Urjasz Sobczak (7+)
Yan) Zdenko Horvat (5+)
Ox) Phùng Tan Tuy (9+)
Ox) Jafar Nur al Din Issa (7+)
Ox) Zoja Nowicka (9+)
Horse) Xiang Chiu (7+)
Bondsman) Tegrin (7+)
Bondsman) Miranda (p4g3 (7+)) - Useless
Bondsman) Wilberforce (p2g0 (5+)) - Coward, Command and Control Freak, Reverts to a 2/2 in a ground vehicle

Dead:
Yan) Xiang Yi
Yan) Cong Tsui
Yan) Iskander Vassiliev
Ox) Hob Sibenik
Ox) Luan Araujo Carvalho
Ox) Joseph Lapresse
Ox) Gustave Allaire
Ox) Yu Ts'ai
Ox) Ilve Duran Leiva
Horse) Petrit Hul
Horse) Lucilla Iadanza
Horse) Karolin Ostermann
Horse) Faruz Neftalem
Horse) Quennel Pelletier
Horse) Antonina Balashova
Horse) Fai Chiang
Xi) Lian Chia

Mission Objectives
- Fight to the Dropships
- Defeat All Enemies

OR

- Keep Davion forces away from the Dropships

Secondary Objectives
- Death Commandos: Secure More Kills than the Hell’s Horses (0/40)
- Hell’s Horses: Secure More Kills than the Death Commandos (0/40)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 17, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That old fool [INSERT NAME]

My old nemesis!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I hope that PTN is giving whichever pilot that is a Man o' War config that isn't awful like they tend to be.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oh, this is going to be fantastic :stare:

:)

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

“Humiliate,” at the beginning of a shooting phase Hastur may voluntarily attempt to humiliate an opponent, rerolling any duplicate hit locations (once).

I don't quite understand what this ability means, would you mind explaining it in more detail?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

So we're going to be randomized and playing again (with a few extra players as well)? Considering all the extra traits we've got on the clan warriors, that helps push the fight a bit toward our favor. Not a lot, but it's there.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yakumo posted:

I don't quite understand what this ability means, would you mind explaining it in more detail?

It's another chance to hit a vulnerable location if you hit your enemy twice in a heavily armored location. Good for crit seeking.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Yakumo posted:

'Kay. Say someone has an open left torso and you want to score a crit. The player can use that ability so if say, he gets two right leg hits rather than dumping anything that hasn't hit into the right leg, he can roll once for a different a different hit location.

It's a tactical option that may not ever be necessary, and he has to chose to use the ability in advance.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
This is going to be...um...wow. Good luck, Commandos.

Also, not to pick at nits, but wouldn't the dropships have started getting ready to launch about the time they realized that Davions were about land on their heads?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

This is going to be an interesting one. Competitive co-op? Why do I forsee this causing a rather fitting split between the Clanners' and Commandos' planning processes? Or am I mistaken in thinking that the Clanners are going to be players?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

Also, not to pick at nits, but wouldn't the dropships have started getting ready to launch about the time they realized that Davions were about land on their heads?

And the Davions are just going to let the players walk onboard?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Jeronimo Campaign Turn 6

Incredulous laughter laced with pain filled the comms. “You don’t know. That old fool Tithon Yeh didn’t tell you.”

“You have gone mad, brother.” Tjris’ deep voice replied. “Remain where you are, we will put you out of your misery soon enough.”

“Neg,” Wilberforce’s laughter. “You have lost this, Tjris and we both know it. What we do not have is the time to prove it to you. Those ships—those ’Mechs in orbit? They are the forces of Coordinator-Prince Hanse Davion, and his laughable Draconis Suns. The men and women you fight here?”

Wilberforce leaned over his controls, scowling at the pilot of the too-close Wolf Spider. “They are Capellan Death Commandos. They traveled across the breadth of the Inner Sphere. They braved hundreds of light years of enemy territory. Their attack was never about claiming this world, it was all for the honor of pitting themselves against the best warriors the Inner Sphere has ever seen. They came to fight us!”

The barrels of Tjris Amirault’s heavy lasers rose, “and I have given them a fight.”

“Use your head, brother. Or were your brains taken from you after I was turned over to the motor pool?” Wilberforce rocked his Cyclops on its hips, turning his back to Amirault’s Gargoyle. “Neither of us have the forces to oppose Davion’s landing now. These men and women hate Hanse Davion above all else. They came all this way to fight us and to humiliate him by taking one of our worlds before he could do so. Concede defeat, and we will grant you safcon to the starport and fight our way through Hanse Davion’s forces together. Join us in laughing in the face of Prince Hanse Davion as he seizes a strategically valueless world with none of the technology he lusts for.”

Tjris’s voice wavered. “This contest is undecided.”

“This was always a trial of possession,” Wilberforce mused. “So let us change the objectives. If you win, you will be free to reclaim this world. If we win, you and your remaining men will accompany us to the Capellan Confederation. Whichever of our forces defeats more of Hanse Davion’s men shall claim the final victory.”

“You stand to gain much.”

Wilberforce smiled, “Just think of the glory if you win.”

The comms. went silent for a few moments, then the Hell’s Horses stood down. “Bargained well and done,” Tjris replied. “You are correct in one regard, Wil. You know me too well.”

And that is why Wilberforce is too awesome to let die. :golfclap:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
It is going to be awkward to be shooting Feddies. But goddamn if this isn't going to be fun as all hell. Let's do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Yakumo posted:

He will try to hit as many locations as possible.

• Locked thread