Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'll be the first to admit my memory's a bit on the poor side, but I've been following this thread since it started, and in all that time, I can't recall any instance off the top of my head where an OpFor pilot failed to make an important pilot skill check. I doubt that's suddenly going to change in this mission, so I say if PTN wants to skip out on some additional bookkeeping that's not going to make a major impact on the course of the battle anyway, that's cool with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
The best example would be the first battle against the clans (edit: Vipers of Somerset) when an enemy pilot in a Nova failed to make a 3+ check to stay awake. It ended with that mech losing its only bidded arm and having to quit the field.

In the long run it didn't change the outcome, but it certainly made things interesting.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I never said it wasn't. It's also not a big deal. They'll be back in full force in a smaller scenario; but we've had three and a half big scenarios in a row and I've let myself get a little too fatigued to want to deal with them for a showpiece battle. If my not rolling piloting really bothers you just pretend it's a cinematic retelling told after-the-fact by one side or the other and let it go. I have.

It doesn't really bother me. Or at least, of the several compromises you've had to make for this format, this one is way down on the list in terms of what bothers me. I only point it out because it seemed like maybe some folks thought it was a straight wash for both sides.

I will say though that, without knowing every detail, I've long suspected you're spending far more time on your updates than you really ought to have to. I mean, it's great you use physical dice, but they're actually less random, rather than more random, than quality online randomizers, for a variety of reasons we don't have to get into. You also seem to be doing all your graphics in a very tedious manual way, instead of using a map-based tool (like RPtools, which supports hexes) or Vassal (which has a Battletech module). And, you clearly use a lot of text cut/paste stuff to build your battle reports, when it should be possible to build an autocalculating spreadsheet (complete with randomizer functions!) and then dump the results to a human-readable text output.

I mean, it's your choice and I don't intend this as criticism... but maybe it'd be easier and more enjoyable for you if things were more automated? I'd be happy to help, if you're not sure how to do this kind of thing.

Naturally if you prefer your established methodology, that's fine too. I just love this thread and I don't want you to ever, ever get sick of doing it.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
These last few battles have been amusing, but I won't be sad to go back to smaller affairs. Smaller battles featuring more normal (4/5) pilots make for far more interesting battles.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Krumbsthumbs posted:

The best example would be the first battle against the clans (edit: Vipers of Somerset) when an enemy pilot in a Nova failed to make a 3+ check to stay awake. It ended with that mech losing its only bidded arm and having to quit the field.

In the long run it didn't change the outcome, but it certainly made things interesting.

That's a consciousness roll, not a piloting check. He's still making consciousness rolls. He rolled one this very turn, in fact.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Defiance Industries posted:

That's a consciousness roll, not a piloting check. He's still making consciousness rolls. He rolled one this very turn, in fact.

Oh right, but there was a check later in the Vipers where one of the enemy pilots fell over on a 2 or 3 and very nearly killed itself. It still wasn't as bad as the poor Wolfhound, but the enemy has failed piloting checks before.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

it's a cinematic retelling told after-the-fact by one side or the other

Wait, you mean this is an episode of BattleTech: The Cartoon?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

TildeATH posted:

Wait, you mean this is an episode of BattleTech: The Cartoon?

Not enough "MY HOME PLANET!" for it to be that. Quite a few DEAD annotations to be handed out though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not since she’d held back in an inter-sibko brawl and the boy she’d incapacitated had return the week later to slay her favorite hunting falcon with a thrown rock.
:words:
Like a young hawk returning from a hack, she had returned.
This cracked me up. Well played.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Talyn’s cockpit opened with an effort of will only the slightest groan of protest as her Cougar settled.

I'm not sure about this sentence. It looks almost like changed your mind on it, but then forgot to fully delete the old version?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not since she’d held back in an inter-sibko brawl and the boy she’d incapacitated had return the week later to slay her favorite hunting falcon with a thrown rock.

That's supposed to be 'had returned'.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Whoa, didn't mean to unleash all that posting re: piloting rolls. Just thought PTN had forgotten one. If he doesn't wanna roll them, that's cool. I know he puts loads of work into the updates.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Defiance Industries posted:

With the exception of one Shad's roll at 9+ since it was conducting a forced withdrawal anyway the only difference is it might have ended up in the DC column if it left later on or got sniped or killed by a fall.
PTN is working very hard and I'm just fine with the current format, I'm thinking of this as a more heroic style.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

I mean, it's great you use physical dice, but they're actually less random, rather than more random, than quality online randomizers

Yeah, I know. It was originally done as a way to prove I wasn't fudging anything, but in never came up so I stopped taking pictures of the results midway through the second battle.

Leperflesh posted:

You also seem to be doing all your graphics in a very tedious manual way, instead of using a map-based tool (like RPtools, which supports hexes) or Vassal (which has a Battletech module).

I would jump all over a map assistance program if I could find one that does everything I need it to. It's a short list but I haven't found anything that hits all the points yet:

It has to:
1) leave persistent movement lines so the thread can read it easily (MegaMek doesn't, Maptools doesn't), preferably ones that are color coded to avoid confusion
2) let me 'undo' a movement easily without jumping through a million hoops
3) have numbered hexes, even if it doesn't do so in the FASA style
4) number elevations automatically so I don't have to fill it in manually and people don't have to guess
5) let the viewer differentiate between each `Mech easily either through color-coding or persistent labels
6) let me easily create maps for elevation changes and water without forcing me to manually draw all of it (I don't mind manually drawing things, but I shouldn't have to do it for every terrain feature)
7) let me print the entire map without losing any of the above or forcing me to assemble it like a jiggsaw puzzle (MegaMek! :argh: )

I've looked at some programs that come close, but the biggest issues have always been #1, #4, and #7. The method I've switch to for the last half of this campaign has already sped things up tremendously though (and I'm now looking into ways to make it prettier).

I just can't believe it took me a year and a half to say: "Wait. Gimp lets me move this around freely, why am I manually writing this every time?"

Leperflesh posted:

And, you clearly use a lot of text cut/paste stuff to build your battle reports, when it should be possible to build an autocalculating spreadsheet (complete with randomizer functions!) and then dump the results to a human-readable text output.

Like I said, I'm all for automation. If you can write an excel sheet that will:
1) Take the name of the firing unit (as a variable)
2) Let me tell it which weapons it's shooting
3) Let me tell it how many of each weapon weapon it's shooting
4) Let me input the base attack, range, movement, target movement as variables
5) Let me assign ten or so other "fill in the blank" style variables for bonuses and/or penalties (and ignore any of them that come up +0)
6) Documents the to-hit roll
7) Lets me tell it whether the attack is coming from the front, left, or right and rolls the appropriate hit location

and outputs all of it to a reasonable per `Mech update format, I would be using it in a heartbeat. I'm not a programmer though, and while I believe that's possible I have no idea how to make it happen myself.

Leperflesh posted:

Naturally if you prefer your established methodology, that's fine too. I just love this thread and I don't want you to ever, ever get sick of doing it.

No danger of that. I just should've kept the first campaign-style update a bit smaller scale.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the whole campaign. It takes a squad based game to a whole new level. The only downsides of the campaign is that it takes people longer to get in orders. My favorite part is watching gooncompany acquire salvage mechs between battles.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Yeah, this entire campaign has been gripping. Especially the character development, which I've rather enjoyed.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I think this campaign and the Caballeros mission have been my favorite of the thread, just because the narratives were so well done (RIP Engine Joe) and there was so much effort put into the details. In both cases you commented that they were probably stretching you a bit further than you wanted to go, which is an entirely reasonable thing to say given the amount of work that goes into doing this, but you should know that the extra effort you put in definitely paid off the quality of the performance you put on for the rest of us.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
This is the first mission (this campaign) that i'll get really sad if we lose. Like the DC and HH or not. They have interesting and well written characters in them and we put a lot of time and effort into making this happen.

So yeah it's my favorite too!

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Like I said, I'm all for automation. If you can write an excel sheet that will:
1) Take the name of the firing unit (as a variable)
2) Let me tell it which weapons it's shooting
3) Let me tell it how many of each weapon weapon it's shooting
4) Let me input the base attack, range, movement, target movement as variables
5) Let me assign ten or so other "fill in the blank" style variables for bonuses and/or penalties (and ignore any of them that come up +0)
6) Documents the to-hit roll
7) Lets me tell it whether the attack is coming from the front, left, or right and rolls the appropriate hit location

I'm not exactly the most reliable person, so don't let me dissuade anyone else from doing this, but I'm going to take a shot at it. It's...well, it's more interesting than the stuff I *should* be doing. You want it in Excel, or Google Docs?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I hope everybody's got their order in, we're approaching the deadline again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mine are in. This might truly be the Wolf Spider's last rodeo. :black101:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

propatriamori posted:

I'm not exactly the most reliable person, so don't let me dissuade anyone else from doing this, but I'm going to take a shot at it. It's...well, it's more interesting than the stuff I *should* be doing. You want it in Excel, or Google Docs?

I also want to have a crack at it, though I was thinking PHP based since that's the only language I know. From years back.

Again, more interesting than my actual work, and could probably get it to spit out writeups that are similar to what you're cranking out now.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Paingod556 posted:

I also want to have a crack at it, though I was thinking PHP based since that's the only language I know. From years back.

Again, more interesting than my actual work, and could probably get it to spit out writeups that are similar to what you're cranking out now.

Heh, right now I'm thinking about a pseudo code approximation of what PTN is requesting for either Java or C.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 13, 2013

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Actually, I spent a couple of hours bashing it out in Excel. I might have something... I'll have to enter all the weapon stats, and currently each row is Mech + weapon (so a 'Mech with 5 weapons gets 5 rows) and there's a lot still to add, but its a start, and it works. Takes the info, calculates to-hit, has a RNG for 2d6 rolls and compares. Then it spits out a summary like what's written out in the shooting step.

I don't have any of the hit charts on me, so that'll be last on the list. If you want to get a copy of where I'm at, PTN, gimme an email address and I'll shoot it your way.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Heroes of the thread really!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I would jump all over a map assistance program if I could find one that does everything I need it to. It's a short list but I haven't found anything that hits all the points yet:

It has to:
1) leave persistent movement lines so the thread can read it easily (MegaMek doesn't, Maptools doesn't), preferably ones that are color coded to avoid confusion
2) let me 'undo' a movement easily without jumping through a million hoops
3) have numbered hexes, even if it doesn't do so in the FASA style
4) number elevations automatically so I don't have to fill it in manually and people don't have to guess
5) let the viewer differentiate between each `Mech easily either through color-coding or persistent labels
6) let me easily create maps for elevation changes and water without forcing me to manually draw all of it (I don't mind manually drawing things, but I shouldn't have to do it for every terrain feature)
7) let me print the entire map without losing any of the above or forcing me to assemble it like a jiggsaw puzzle (MegaMek! :argh: )

I've looked at some programs that come close, but the biggest issues have always been #1, #4, and #7. The method I've switch to for the last half of this campaign has already sped things up tremendously though (and I'm now looking into ways to make it prettier).

Yeah, that's quite a tall order. Typically what most people using virtual tabletop (VT) software do is create their map using whatever process (in your case, this'd probably be GIMP), and then import it to the virtual tabletop as a background image. You then manipulate your tokens and roll your dice and stuff using the VT software.

So, the VT would have to do 1, 2, possibly 3, 5, and 7. Your separate software for making the background map would cover possibly 3, 4, and 6.

Elevation changes are the hardest bit. I've used a handful of mapmakers and none of them addressed multiple elevations. The assumption is generally that you'd make multiple 2d maps, one for each "level". Kind of like how you handled that factory map on Solaris. But... you're doing this manually right now. So what I'd be suggesting is to continue to create your 2d maps, with the labels as you do them, in something like GIMP or whatever. But use a VT to assist with moving tokens around, their labels, drawing lines of sight, measuring range, being able to undo in an incremental way, etc.

I believe Maptools can handle all of that. It has native support for hex maps. You'd either import your map without hexes and use Maptool's hexes, which are labeled along the x and y edges; or, if you want the coordinates and height/depth labels in every hex, create your hexmap externally with those labels, import as the background, and then use Maptools to overlay its own hex on top of it. Maptools allows you to freely resize/reposition the overlay, so with a little finagling you should be able to get the overlay to match up exactly with the underlying background map.

Maptools would then give you step-move and LOS tools, the ability to undo moves on a step-by-step basis, fog of war (if you want it), double-blind (if you want it), you can draw in shapes that block line of sight, etc. And it has the dice roller if you want that, although it'd be more tedious than rolling a big pile of dice most likely.

It also has somewhat clunky but functional support for a lot of scripting. I found a couple different attempts at macros specifically for battletech; they're both incomplete (only 20 or 30 mechs implemented) and probably buggy too, so I'd probably not attempt to resolve combat using maptools macros unless you feel especially proficient with its API.

I also investigated VASSAL. Someone made a battletech module for it. It imports (and can tile multiple) maps, and has native hex support. It gives you a clear movement line. But, it doesn't seem to have step-by-step undo, it also only implements 20 or 30 mechs (in an add-on mechpack), they're displayed with portrait-style graphics rather than top-down, which is weird, and the range measuring tool is primitive (no blocking LOS, no accounting for elevation). I think one could do a lot better using VASSAL, but I don't know if it's possible to satisfy #2 at all.

Sounds like we've already got a couple volunteers for the excel stuff; I feel I could do it too, although I don't have time right now (maybe once we get our taxes done).

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 13, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, that's a bare minimum of fourfive pilot hits.

VVV Well, at least you can take satisfaction that G1 has died in a fire.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 13, 2013

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, that's a bare minimum of four pilot hits.

Ammo explosion, ammo explosion, neural implants!*

* I'm trying the old reverse psychology to get to a failed 3+ consciousness for the Mackie.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

We can rest assured that there's pretty much no way the DCs can catch up the the HH's killcounts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I believe Maptools can handle all of that. It has native support for hex maps. You'd either import your map without hexes and use Maptool's hexes, which are labeled along the x and y edges; or, if you want the coordinates and height/depth labels in every hex, create your hexmap externally with those labels, import as the background, and then use Maptools to overlay its own hex on top of it. Maptools allows you to freely resize/reposition the overlay, so with a little finagling you should be able to get the overlay to match up exactly with the underlying background map.

Maptools would then give you step-move and LOS tools, the ability to undo moves on a step-by-step basis, fog of war (if you want it), double-blind (if you want it), you can draw in shapes that block line of sight, etc. And it has the dice roller if you want that, although it'd be more tedious than rolling a big pile of dice most likely.

On further investigation:
Maptools supports hexes, but doesn't allow you to use the x/y map edges for numbers like it does for squares.
Maptools shows movement paths, but I don't immediately see a way to put a compound/multipart move and have it preserve the entire path. There might be a module or mod that does this, because I thought I'd seen it before. Hmm.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

We can rest assured that there's pretty much no way the DCs can catch up the the HH's killcounts.

Doesn't really matter. The DC's purpose on this world has been fulfilled. They did severe damage to the CHH garrison forces, they made off with a good amount of Clantech salvage, they (along with HH assistance) have bloodied the nose of the Kestrel Grenadiers, and they have guerilla/insurgency operatives deployed. All that's left is to see if any last minute salvage (a mobile UAC/20 for example)/operational mechs can be brought "home" (Wilberforce must live).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Breakout: Tactical Update 24

Combat Phase
H1 Rifleman IIC
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at G9 Shadow Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser + 1 partial cover = 5): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (damage absorbed by terrain)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at G9 Shadow Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser+ 1 partial cover = 5): rolled 5, hit Right Torso (9/19 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Small Laser at G9 Shadow Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 42!

H2 Cougar D
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at G1 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 smoke + 1 light woods - 2 pulse = 10): rolled 12, hit Center Torso (3/14 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at G1 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 smoke + 1 light woods - 2 pulse = 10): rolled 11, hit Center Torso (0/14 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!
- Gains 29 heat, sinks 25!

H3 Wolf Spider A
- Activates Neural Implants!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at S4 Sunfire (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 implants = 4): rolled 6, hit Right Torso (17/24 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at S4 Sunfire (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 implants = 4): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (0/22 armor, 10/12 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at S4 Sunfire (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 implants = 4): rolled 6, hit Center Torso (5/34 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at S4 Sunfire (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 implants = 4): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at S4 Sunfire (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 implants = 4): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (6/28 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at S4 Sunfire (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 implants = 4): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (10/24 armor remains)!
- Fires Flamer (damage) at S2 Battlemaster (3 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 secondary target - 1 implants = 9): rolled 5, miss!

X2 Exterminator
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S2 BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S2 BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (33/40 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S2 BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (21/28 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S2 BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (17/24 armor remains)!
- Fires Clan LRM-10 at S2 BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires TAG at S2 BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit!
- - TAGs S2 BattleMaster!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 26!

X7 Vindicator
- Fires LRM-5 at S2 Battlemaster (1 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 iLK missiles = 4): rolled 7, 2 missiles hit Left Leg (14/26 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at S2 BattleMaster (1 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 24!

X9 Cyclops IIC
- Fires Ultra AC/20 (Ultra) at S2 BattleMaster (1 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 6, 1 shell hit Left Torso (1/28 armor remains)!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 30!

X11 Merlin
- Fires PPC at S4 Sunfire (0 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 4): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (0/34 armor, 18/23 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires LRM-5 at S2 Battlemaster (0 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 indirect + 3 spotter movement + 1 secondary target - 1 iLK missiles = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 27!

H6 Gargoyle Tjris
- Activates EI Implants
- Torso twists to threaten hex 1417!
- Fires Heavy Large Laser at S2 BattleMaster’s Right Arm (1 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser + 1 targeting computer called shot w/ EI Implants = 5): rolled 5, must roll a 6, 7, or 8 to confirm: rolled 6, hit Right Arm (0/24 armor, 12/14 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires ER Small Laser at S2 BattleMaster’s Right Arm (1 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser + 1 targeting computer called shot w/ EI Implants = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 29 heat, sinks 36!

G1 Phoenix Hawk
- Fires Medium Laser at H2 Cougar (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 smoke + 1 light woods = 12): rolled 10, miss!

G9 Shadow Hawk
- Torso twists to threaten hex 3108!
- Fires HVAC-10 (Acid) at H1 Rifleman IIC (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 5): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at H1 Rifleman IIC (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 5): rolled 6, hit Center Torso (0/30 armor, 19/21 structure remains)! Crit!

S1 Mackie
- Fires Heavy PPC at X11 Merlin (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 smoke + 1 light woods + 1 heavy = 12): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires HVAC/10 (HE) at X11 Merlin (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 smoke + 1 light woods = 11): rolled 8, miss!

S2 Battlemaster
- Fires Medium Laser at H3 Wolf Spider (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 5): rolled 6, hit Right Torso (14/24 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at H3 Wolf Spider (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 5): rolled 6, hit Left Arm (6/12 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Laser at H3 Wolf Spider (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 5): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (9/24 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at H3 Wolf Spider (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 5): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (10/16 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Laser at H3 Wolf Spider (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 5): rolled 5, hit Right Arm (6/24 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-6 at H3 Wolf Spider (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 5): rolled 9, 4 missiles hit Center Torso (33/35 armor remains), Left Torso (8/16 structure remains (Crit!)), Left Torso (6/16 structure remains (Crit!)), Right Arm (4/24 armor remains)!
- Fires Heavy PPC at X2 Exterminator IIC (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 heavy + 1 secondary target = 9): rolled 3, miss!

S3 Awesome
- Fires PPC at H6 Gargoyle (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 11, hit Center Torso (5/25 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires PPC at H6 Gargoyle (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires PPC at H6 Gargoyle (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, miss!

S4 Sunfire
- Fires Heavy PPC at X7 Vindicator (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 9): rolled 10, hit Left Torso (1/16 armor remains)!
- Fires Heavy PPC at X7 Vindicator (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 9): rolled 12, hit Right Leg (3/18 armor remains)!

End Phase:
S4 Sunfire
- Critical chance in Left Arm! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Heavy PPC destroyed!
- Critical chance in Center Torso! No critical hits sustained!

S2 BattleMaster
- Critical chance in Right Arm! No critical hits sustained!

H1 Rifleman IIC
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 2 critical hits sustained!

H3 Wolf Spider
- Critical chance in Left Arm! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Double Heat Sink destroyed!
- - Suffers 1 pilot hit due to Neural Implants!
- Critical chance in Left Torso! No critical hits sustained!
- Must pass an 11+ Consciousness Test: rolled 3, fails!

H6 Gargoyle
- Critical chance in Center Torso! No critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a 5+ Consciousness Test: rolled 7, succeeds!

Graceful as a swooping hawk, Talyn’s Cougar sailed not in a parabola but a low, treetop-hugging arc that minimized its exposure to incoming fire. A hundred or so meters distant, the Phoenix Hawk chased off by one of the Death Commandos’ bondsman Mechwarriors was making a slow, careful advance to flank the oblivious Merlin. Her carefully-honed instincts had been correct, but Talyn had never taken satisfaction in simply being right. No, the only satisfaction would come when that `Mech was a lifeless, burning husk.

As she touched down amidst the smoke-filled light woods and brought her weapons to bear, the Phoenix Hawk shifted on its thrust columns. It’d seen her and known immediately it was outgunned, yet at the limits of its endurance it had to touch down. Talyn swept the smoky woods as she tried to guess the pilot’s landing zone and smiled.

A fire raged out of control among dry, paper-like leaves. From her experience, there was nothing an Inner Sphere `Mechwarrior feared more than fire. They hated it, their Heat Sinks couldn’t easily cope, their coolant would gel, and centuries-old `Mechs would turn brittle and vulnerable—as their temporary Inner Sphere allies had learned when their Atlas had been crippled by a lucky hit. No Inner Sphere pilot would ever expect a fellow to touch down in such a blaze. Such a tact would take audacity worthy of a Clan warrior.

Her crosshairs fell over the blaze, her thumbs crushing the primary interlock firing circuit and filling the blaze with the instantaneous pulses of her lasers. The Phoenix Hawk crumpled as she cut out its heart, toppling forward and out of the worst of the flame. She noted its position, and made a point to return for the pilot once she’d won this battle.

Mission Objectives:
Secure the Dropships (incomplete)
Hold off the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers (incomplete)

Optional
Defeat the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers’ 2nd Battalion (35/40)
Death Commandos: Defeat more Kestrel Grenadiers than the Hell’s Horses (16)
Hell’s Horses: Defeat more Kestrel Grenadiers than the Death Commandos (19)

Key:
H1 Rifleman IIC, H3 Wolf Spider A, X2 Exterminator IIC,
X7 Vindicator, X9 Cyclops IIC, X11 Merlin, H6 Gargoyle Tjris

Enemy Movement Mods:
S1 Mackie +0
S2 Battlemaster +1
S3 Awesome +1
S4 Sunfire +1
G9 Shadow Hawk +0

Player `Mech Status

Enemy `Mech Status

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ouch. Just ouch. At least we took an hppc and the pixie off the board, but losing all those lasers is gonna suck.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
That turn could have been better. While a fair amount of damage was done to the Battlemaster and Sunfire and the Phoenix Hawk died, the situation is looking grim. The Wolf Spider will die next turn, the Gargoyle is one ML from destruction, and the Rifleman IIC may die from the CT crits (which aren't being shown).

landcollector fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 14, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
He... he could wake up... he's got a 1/12 chance per round.
(That was one of our 'safe' mechs too, by which I mean -I- thought it was safe except for half its lasers on the left arm, didn't know EIs worked on any crits to side torsos... ouch! :()
The Rifleman is safe if that was a mistake, PTN has a rule where he sticks with any mistakes in favor of the player.

Also, exquisite kill Talyn, exquisite!

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 14, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

H1 Rifleman IIC
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 2 critical hits sustained!

And?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
It's fine if he forgot, since it favors the player as per his rule. :)

Huh, wait, why didn't the Wolf Spider fall down? Does the EI implants keep him awake or something despite the failed consciousness check, so that he falls unconcious if he shuts them off? If he does shut them off he might last till the destruction of his mech.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 14, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He died the way he lived. Passed out in agony.

:patriot::911::patriot:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Readingaccount posted:

It's fine if he forgot, since it favors the player as per his rule. :)

Huh, wait, why didn't the Wolf Spider fall down? Does the EI implants keep him awake or something despite the failed consciousness check, so that he falls unconcious if he shuts them off? If he does shut them off he might last till the destruction of his mech.

Not sure, per usual rules he'd test for falling if he took 20 points of damage, and being unconscious he'd auto-fail, then die from the fall, I think. EI Implants just give you the -1 to hit and other shooting benefits normally, the downside is that crits feedback onto the pilot as we saw.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Did EI get reprinted with meaner rules or something? The maxtech rules for them have a 7+ roll to avoid frying the pilot per internal hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

Did EI get reprinted with meaner rules or something? The maxtech rules for them have a 7+ roll to avoid frying the pilot per internal hit.

The original 1st Somerset Strikers ones were really, really harsh. Also, they're not using EI Implants, they're using a more primitive version. Only Tjris has actual EI Implants.

• Locked thread