Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Eventually I'll have done enough art to fill an LP BT TRO, and I will lament that I did it all for free.)

You and PTN should put together an AU TRO on Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Hmmmmm, with the new Experimental Technical Readout: Succession Wars book out, I wonder if there's a chance we'll see the Super Wasp and Super Griffon battlemechs...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Who knows? Maybe Chugs will finally get to put his internet name on a fanTRO that isn't expressly designed to make you feel uncomfortable.

Believe it or not, I've actually done that once. I only wrote one design and it wasn't obscene, but I did it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

T.G. Xarbala posted:

because gently caress if I know how making pdfs work.

Blood sacrifice and a copy of InDesign works pretty well.

There are ways which don't involve giving Adobe piles of money, though, that may be preferable.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

:colbert:

Thanks for the wonderful Birthday Present, T.G. Xarbala!

This is kinda late, but this thing is amazing, Xarbala. Can't eait to see how PTN stats the thing out and when we see it used in action (hopefully not against us!). All the stuff you've been doing for this thread (and I guess doing official art as well) is awesome, so keep up the good work!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Psion posted:

Blood sacrifice and a copy of InDesign works pretty well.

There are ways which don't involve giving Adobe piles of money, though, that may be preferable.

Like CutePDF, which is free. Just download it and then print to PDF using whatever application you want. There's some settings and stuff, you should embed fonts if you use any font that might not exist on someone's computer, for example, but most of that stuff is trivially easy to figure out. PDF really isn't hard.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Breakout: Tactical Update 28

Combat Phase
H1 Rifleman IIC
- Attempts to board the DropShip!

H2 Cougar D
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at S3 Awesome (3 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse = 5): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (14/24 armor remains)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at S3 Awesome (3 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse = 5): rolled 5, hit Right Torso (14/24 armor remains)!
- Gains 31 heat, sinks 25! Overheating!

X2 Exterminator
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S3 Awesome (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S3 Awesome (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse = 8): rolled 10, hit Left Torso (17/24 armor remains)! TAC!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S3 Awesome (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S3 Awesome (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 26!

X7 Vindicator
- Holds fire!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 24!

X9 Cyclops IIC
- Holds fire!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 30!

X11 Merlin
- Fires PPC at S3 Awesome (0 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at S3 Awesome (0 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke - 1 iLK missiles = 5): rolled 7, 2 missiles hit Right Leg (31/33 armor remains)!
- Gains 23 heat, sinks 27!

H6 Gargoyle Tjris
- Fires Heavy Large Laser at S3 Awesome (1 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy - 1 targeting computer = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 36!

S1 Mackie
- Fires Heavy PPC at H6 Gargoyle (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 heavy = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires HVAC/10 (Acid) at H6 Gargoyle (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 6, miss!

S2 Battlemaster
- Holds fire!

S3 Awesome
- Fires PPC at X11 Merlin (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 2 smoke + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 10, hit Right Torso (0/14 structure remains)! Torso destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (18/26 armor remains)!
- Fires PPC at X11 Merlin (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 2 smoke + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 9, miss!

End Phase:
H1 Rifleman IIC
- Successfully boards the dropship!

S3 Awesome
- Through-Armor Critical chance in Left Torso! No critical hits sustained!

“I can’t do this anymore. All the pressure, all the management, all the little mistakes, the little things that keep slipping through the cracks. I’m sorry, but it’s just too much. I can’t cope anymore. I know what you’re thinking: he’s had a good run so far; how could he end it like this? But there it is my friend: this is it for me. When this mission is over, I’m ending it all.”

Archon Frederick Steiner leaned over the holographic battlefield, moving another battalion of `Mechs to compensate for Thomas Hogarth’s projected Clan movements. There was just no way—no way—Frederick could win now. Not with all the nagging doubts, the economy spiraling down the drain, the political pressure. His mind wasn’t in the game, and it showed. He was losing the war to the Steel Vipers, and losing it badly. The Lyran Commonwealth, his home, his nation, the only love of his life was now on the verge of collapse.

He knew now: he wasn’t fit to be Archon. He never had been, and that weasel Lestrade had known it too! A deep frown furrowed Frederick’s strong face, his brow wrinkled with concerns that had nothing to do with the strategy session he’d thrown together. All he wanted was to move his soldiers around, to fight and protect the Commonwealth. The political battlefield was as far beyond him as Clan technology was beyond an AgroMech. He was a gauss rifle, which was all well and good when you needed to take out a `Mech but nearly useless when you needed to thwart thousands of men with rapiers.

He switched off the display, and shook his head and silently regarded his impressively-mustachioed companion. “Thomas, you may be the last loyal friend I have. I need you to pay a visit to Skye.”

Mission Objectives:
Secure the Dropships (incomplete)
Hold off the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers (incomplete)
Frighten People on April 1st (complete!)

Optional
Defeat the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers’ 2nd Battalion (37/40)
Death Commandos: Defeat more Kestrel Grenadiers than the Hell’s Horses (18)
Hell’s Horses: Defeat more Kestrel Grenadiers than the Death Commandos (19)

Key:
X2 Exterminator IIC, X7 Vindicator, X9 Cyclops IIC, X11 Merlin, H6 Gargoyle Tjris

Enemy Movement Mods:
S1 Mackie +0
S2 BattleMaster +0
S3 Awesome +0

Player `Mech Status

Enemy `Mech Status

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

PoptartsNinja posted:

*flavor text*

PTN did you mean to put what looks like part of the next political update in this turn? Don't get me wrong, it is interesting but a bit removed from the action at hand.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hmm... if Fred's on his last friend, the 10th Lyran Guard must have been wiped out. He was always tight with them. Hanging out, working on Mechs, playing volleyball, it was like Top Gun.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Subterfrugal posted:

PTN did you mean to put what looks like part of the next political update in this turn? Don't get me wrong, it is interesting but a bit removed from the action at hand.

Yes.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I GOT IT! I got the joke!

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
I like Hastur's status.

Slightly Grumpy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

I GOT IT! I got the joke!

It was this, or telling everyone that I'd lost all my data and that we had to start over from turn 1.

Even I'm not that sadistic.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Ouch, pity the Merlin lost it's PPC in that exchange. Gooncompany and Goonstar are gonna need all the firepower they can get to put down those three remaining assaults, and losing such a high damage weapon is painful, especially when you consider that all it gots left is an LRM-5, a Medium laser, a Flamer, and a Machine Gun, all of which may as well be like flicking spitballs at the likes of the Mackie or the Awesome.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I'll tell you the truth, the fluff for the status confused me for a minute there, even remembering that it was April 1st.

Hastur's on the dropship, a couple more turns worth of slugging this out between the remains of GoonStarCompany and the Kestrel Command Lance left now... Who knows how many, though...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know Battletech canon well enough to get the joke. :smith:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Reread the very first paragraph. Then look at the mission goals.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oooooh.

Not believable. Nosiree.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I wasn't fooled for one bit. We all know that this thing is destined to go on forever.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

I wasn't fooled for one bit. We all know that this thing is destined to go on forever.

I, for one, am committed to riding this thread until its inevitable meteor-like crash into the ground.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Dammit, that update did scare me, I thought the battle was over and that we lost.

We definitely got the worst of it this round. We fired all our big weapons on 8's and barely scratched the paint on the Awesome, then we lost the PPC on a 10.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If you hadn't put it in dialogue quotes, I would have believed for a few seconds.

Can Hastur order some dropship fire now? It would really mess up that command lance.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

wiegieman posted:

If you hadn't put it in dialogue quotes, I would have believed for a few seconds.

Can Hastur order some dropship fire now? It would really mess up that command lance.

In addition to the dropship, I know there's got to be a spare mech laying around in the dropship. What happened to the Sohei, the Copperhead, the Swordbreaker, and the Seagull? I know they're in there somewhere!

Although, to be fair, the goons are also next to the DS dropship, and it hasn't shot us up. I think if the dropships start shooting, it's the start of total war.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dagnabbit they got Farseli's PPC. We're seriously running out of big guns here! What's worse, that Awesome has enough heat sinks to eat any bullshit crits we might deal all day. But at least seeker's safe, so there's that.

My incredibly long-winded and blatantly obvious observations are in the doc, as usual. Also, orders in.

(Farseli get out of there or I'm going to fall on your head and it will be embarrassing.)

EDIT: PS: HOGARTH!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PoptartsNinja posted:

H2 Cougar D
- Gains 31 heat, sinks 25! Overheating!

This is a copy/paste error right? I didn't move, so 10(LPL) + 10(LPL) +5(Engine hit) = 25. Just checking because the mech status image lists me as overheating with -1 to hit whereas I believe I should still be at 2 from last turn, after sinking all 25 from this turn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yup, you're right. You're at 2 heat.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So would it be a good idea to have Talyn (Waffle?) swing around the HH dropship and try to approach their rear? (maybe alongside Steve?)

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

I just realized after looking over the condition of all the remaining PC 'mechs that the Exterminator doesn't have the locations of any of it's weapons listed. Might wanna fix that for next round Poptarts.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Rorahusky posted:

I just realized after looking over the condition of all the remaining PC 'mechs that the Exterminator doesn't have the locations of any of it's weapons listed. Might wanna fix that for next round Poptarts.

That's because they just float around the mech. They're basically Pulse Ioun Stones.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Affi posted:

So would it be a good idea to have Talyn (Waffle?) swing around the HH dropship and try to approach their rear? (maybe alongside Steve?)

In the doc, the phrase "don't get closer than ten hexes" is something of a catchphrase at this point, because for two out of three of the remaining enemy `Mechs the bulk of their firepower is all close range. They're certainly lethal at long range (just look at the logs), but their potential damage output doubles or triples--Mackie and Battlemaster, respectively--the instant we give their MLasers and SRMs a chance to hit. Waffle's especially vulnerable in this situation because a single Medium Laser can kill him in an instant. I'm the only one with the move mods to enter within the nine hex killzone with the armor to buffer any incidental hits. Not to say a lucky hit from a big gun won't still knock me out, but hey.

I've been encouraging everyone to try and play it safe and not expose themselves to the LOS of the enemy unless the enemy's THs on them are at least two points worse than their THs on the enemy. Even then, simple weight of dice can gently caress us over, like what happened to Farseli's PPC. Talyn's `Mech is the last remaining `Mech with a weapon that can outrange almost every remaining gun in the Kestrel's arsenal (only the VENTILATOR can match it) and it has the mobility to pull `Mechs away from the dropships, which is actually the reason why the Awesome moved away from the dropships this turn--had he remained still, Waffle could hammer him just outside of his PPC range with impunity.

EDIT: Also, it will take me at least five turns to get behind the Mackie with any semblance of relative safety, but I fully intend to do so. At the very least, when I do, you might get a chance to see the reason why Knox and PTN have been waiting for us to buttflank it for a month now. Unlike Talyn, Steve's ride can at least take a few hits from its Terrible Secret (okay not a secret).

Runa fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 2, 2013

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

In the doc, the phrase "don't get closer than ten hexes" is something of a catchphrase at this point, because for two out of three of the remaining enemy `Mechs the bulk of their firepower is all close range. They're certainly lethal at long range (just look at the logs), but their potential damage output doubles or triples--Mackie and Battlemaster, respectively--the instant we give their MLasers and SRMs a chance to hit. Waffle's especially vulnerable in this situation because a single Medium Laser can kill him in an instant. I'm the only one with the move mods to enter within the nine hex killzone with the armor to buffer any incidental hits. Not to say a lucky hit from a big gun won't still knock me out, but hey.

I've been encouraging everyone to try and play it safe and not expose themselves to the LOS of the enemy unless the enemy's THs on them are at least two points worse than their THs on the enemy. Even then, simple weight of dice can gently caress us over, like what happened to Farseli's PPC. Talyn's `Mech is the last remaining `Mech with a weapon that can outrange almost every remaining gun in the Kestrel's arsenal (only the VENTILATOR can match it) and it has the mobility to pull `Mechs away from the dropships, which is actually the reason why the Awesome moved away from the dropships this turn--had he remained still, Waffle could hammer him just outside of his PPC range with impunity.

Can't really argue with that logic. Most of your guys are only one or two hits away from either being dead or being rendered impotent due to loss of weapons. Plus attempting to close with the enemy at this point would mean having to walk out into the open, and they got an excellent lane of fire to kill anyone who tries to march down the middle.

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011

Andrevian posted:

I like Hastur's status.

Slightly Grumpy.

I too am a fan. And PTN: that 1st paragraph was nervous-making.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
So can Hastur...disembark the dropship and charge an enemy mech? With the intention of knocking them down, of course. Just taking out the Awesome's shooting for one turn could make a significant difference.

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011

enigma74 posted:

So can Hastur...disembark the dropship and charge an enemy mech? With the intention of knocking them down, of course. Just taking out the Awesome's shooting for one turn could make a significant difference.

due to the moat, it's at least 2 turns to get to the awesome even if Hastur did disembark. He'd never finish the run.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So, getting a TAC on an Awesome is probably the least exciting thing in the world. At least it has mediocre front armor!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Awesomes don't have overwhelming armor, but they don't need it. The Awesome is the ultimate early era zombie. No ammo, standard engine, weapons spread among three body parts (plus the head SL). Double so when dealing with an elite pilot that isn't going to fall over without significant leg/gyro damage.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

Awesomes don't have overwhelming armor, but they don't need it. The Awesome is the ultimate early era zombie. No ammo, standard engine, weapons spread among three body parts (plus the head SL). Double so when dealing with an elite pilot that isn't going to fall over without significant leg/gyro damage.

If one can manage to destroy the RT though, there goes 2/3rds of the Awesome's main guns.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

landcollector posted:

If one can manage to destroy the RT though, there goes 2/3rds of the Awesome's main guns.

I think 'Blowing off nearly half of a Battlemech's body would seriously hamper it's ability to fight' would be pretty much a given for 90% of 'Mechs in existence.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Really, the Awesome should probably be saved for last. If you kill the other two, well, PPCs have a min range. Then you stay two hexes from the sucker, so it can't punch you, and you circle like a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Andrevian posted:

Really, the Awesome should probably be saved for last. If you kill the other two, well, PPCs have a min range. Then you stay two hexes from the sucker, so it can't punch you, and you circle like a monster.

Leading to hilarious comedy when the Awesome kills the last few goonmechs with the small laser.

• Locked thread