Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Your options are quite literally "Go big or go home".

The Death Commandos don't have a home to go back to, because they were already cast out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Has there ever been a successful DFA attack in this thread? Because if the first successful DFA after more than two years of alternate future history robot warfare is the one that wins a scenario and proves that the Death Commandos are just as awesome as Clan Hell Horse, that'd be some sweet justice.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Chicken Slayer posted:

Has there ever been a successful DFA attack in this thread? Because if the first successful DFA after more than two years of alternate future history robot warfare is the one that wins a scenario and proves that the Death Commandos are just as awesome as Clan Hell Horse, that'd be some sweet justice.

Not too long ago in the Geothermal/Lava Plant scenario, Atomikkrab's Po successfully DFA'd the Annihilator IIC.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&pagenumber=791#post407798115

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

landcollector posted:

Not too long ago in the Geothermal/Lava Plant scenario, Atomikkrab's Po successfully DFA'd the Annihilator IIC.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&pagenumber=791#post407798115

Intentional Fall... I do not have jumpjets, I literally dove off a cliff at the Annihilator.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Winning this scenario with a DFA is the best way it could possibly end.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

Intentional Fall... I do not have jumpjets, I literally dove off a cliff at the Annihilator.

A DFA is a DFA, regardless of whether JJs or gravity were used to make it happen.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Orders in. I'm doing the equivalent of 'mech shotgun sniping, this can't possibly go wrong.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Chicken Slayer posted:

I forget, was the Justice Foot way back in the second scenario a DFA or was it just a kick to the head from a higher elevation? It was done against a Death Commando mech, I remember that much.

There was also that previously mentioned Po Elbow Drop against the Star Captain from the volcano mission two turns ago in this campaign. And let us not forget the ComStar adept kicking a mech's head off in the second ComStar mission we did with the Star Colonel at the HPG as well, with a "Mahalo, fucker!" to go along with it.

Also, there was that failed DFA against the train (which could have accomplished a hidden objective if it had succeeded, or maybe if the person doing the DFA had just fired on the train instead) in that mission on Tharkad... Man, those were some fun scenarios and just thinking about them makes me remember how far this thread has come...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 7, 2013

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Justice foot was a kick to the face from higher elevation. And it was glorious. Forgot about the fall one though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Chicken Slayer posted:

Justice foot was a kick to the face from higher elevation. And it was glorious. Forgot about the fall one though.

Man, it's hard to believe it's been over two years since Engine Joe got roasted by Infernos, Avengin' Anne put her Justice Foot down, and Bobby Begay blew up a 'mech while shutting down from a pair of engine hits. And let that be a lesson to the rest of you: if you gotta go down, go down firing everything you got left!

Not that Bobby would ever spare a word for a bunch of child-murdering, backstabbing, Capellan sons of whores such as yourselves, but he's way back along the Capellan frontier somewhere. Give 'em hell, boys! :black101:

Remember back when everyone thought there was some sort of goon luck? Good times, good times...

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The luck stays in the hands of those most deserving it.

Why do you think House Davion's doing so well? :smug:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Dolash posted:

Too bad Hanse didn't share any of his luck with this poor SOB in charge of the 1st Kestral Grenadiers. He's having a Very Bad Day.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dolash posted:

Because the White Man and his noble samurai sidekick always win against the evil Dr. Fu Manchu.

They won't escape forever, though. :getin:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Rorahusky posted:

Too bad Hanse didn't share any of his luck with this poor SOB in charge of the 1st Kestral Grenadiers. He's having a Very Bad Day.

This isn't the regimental commander. You don't want me to include his command company.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

This isn't the regimental commander. You don't want me to include his command company.

Well, I imagine he's gonna have a bad day too once he finds out one of his lackey's bungled things so bad that he lost an entire battalion.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

Atlases all the way down.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zeroisanumber posted:

Atlases all the way down.

Pfft, this isn't the Lyran Commonwealth. This is House Davion! It's unseen!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pfft, this isn't the Lyran Commonwealth. This is House Davion! It's unseen!

I cower in fear of your lance of Ostscouts.

:getin:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
At least in this timeline we'll never have to see Victors, a boring mech named after a boring prince.

Edit VV: I know, but I like to think it was so I can feel justified in my hatred of it. :colbert:

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 8, 2013

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

The Gate posted:

At least in this timeline we'll never have to see Victors, a boring mech named after a boring prince.

The Victor came long before the Prince.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's not named after Victor. It's an old SLDF design.

E; fb

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Alternate-Universe 3032 TRO Entry

King Cobra
Overview:
Based on an old testbed designed by our Clan and utilizing technologies developed at our request by the scientists of Clan Star Adder, the King Cobra entered swift production and we have already amassed significant numbers thanks in main to the Cloud Cobras. The King Cobra will prove a rude surprise for the pitiful Mechwarriors of the Lyran Commonwealth: this `Mech will stand as a totem not only of our own glorious Clan but as a symbol of the strength of the newfound brotherhood between ourselves and our allies the Cloud Cobras and Star Adders. Our forces, united under the banner of Star League Task Force "Serpent," shall be the first to reach Terra. From there, we shall put an end to Kerensky's dream of an Inner Sphere devastated by his quest for vengeance and instead a new Star League shall rise to unite all of mankind! Our alliance will stand until we are dust, and all the suns of the galaxy have burned themselves to cold cinders. Seyla!

Capabilities:
Weighing in at 100 tons, the King Cobra is a massive close combat platform built to endure punishments that would cripple smaller `Mechs. With its normal top speed of 64 kph further augmented by a powerful MASC system, the King Cobra is able to keep pace with much smaller `Mechs and outrun nearly every Inner Sphere design in its weightclass. This speed comes at a price, as the `Mech's primary armament consists of a single Gauss Rifle. This weapon is augmented by a targeting computer, and is backed up by a pair of Streak SRM-6s mounted in the legs. The flamer in the left arm serves little offensive purpose but is well suited to deterring enemy infantry and igniting arenas for the “Steiner Trials” our warriors have regularly found themselves engaged in. It can also be employed to put additional cooling pressure on Inner Sphere `Mechs that lack the King Cobra’s heat efficiency. Lastly, an ER Medium Laser in the left arm provides additional striking power at very minimal cost.

In addition to its standard weaponry, the King Cobra also mounts an Assault Mace. Due to the weight of this powerful close combat weapon, the right arm was reinforced with eight tons of integrated supports, myomer, and shock absorption systems. In combat testing, the Assault Mace was able to strip all the armor from a Nova’s center torso in a single hit. This should enable it to defeat the Lyran Commonwealth’s vaunted Axman with contemptuous ease.

Deployment:
Although we lack the resources to produce the King Cobra in great numbers, our allies among the Cloud Cobras and Star Adders are both producing the design and more than fifty will soon reach our front-line trinaries. With the forces of our allies now serving as garrison forces for our front line troops, the Steel Vipers are in a position to sweep across the Inner Sphere at a pace no other Clan will be able to match.

Equipment:
Mass: 100 tons
Production Year: 3033
Cost: 31,246,333 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,855

Chassis: Cobra Endo-Steel
Power Plant: New Kent Type 50 Fusion 400 XL Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h (86.4 km/h)
Armor: Forge Type HH30 Standard Armor

Heat Sinks: 13 [26]
Armor Factor: 300

Head Structure: 3
Head Armor: 9

Center Torso Structure: 31
Center Torso Armor: 48
Center Torso (Rear) Armor: 13

Left/Right Torso Structure: 21
Left/Right Torso Armor: 32
Left/Right Torso (Rear) Armor: 10

Left/Right Leg Structure: 21
Left/Right Leg Armor: 40

Left/Right Arm Structure: 17
Left/Right Arm Armor: 33

Weapons, Ammo, and Equipment
ECM Suite – Head
MASC – Right Torso
Targeting Computer – Right Torso
Gauss Rifle – Left Torso
Gauss Rifle Ammo – 2 tons Left Torso
Clan Assault Mace – Right Arm
ER Medium Laser – Left Arm
Flamer – Left Arm
Streak SRM-6 – Right Leg
Streak SRM-6 – Left Leg
Streak SRM-6 Ammo – 2 tons Center Torso

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aww, not enough field time for it to have notable pilots? That's my favorite part of an entry. Still p. cool though. Doesn't afraid of anything I would think.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Flamer – Left Arm

(The black flame wreathing the hand is literally just like some pitch or something that the flamer sets fire to. It's for dramatic effect.)

Defiance Industries posted:

Aww, not enough field time for it to have notable pilots? That's my favorite part of an entry. Still p. cool though. Doesn't afraid of anything I would think.

Get everyone to vote to throw the next hapless Goonlance against it and you'll have your notable pilot soon enough.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

(The black flame wreathing the hand is literally just like some pitch or something that the flamer sets fire to. It's for dramatic effect.)

I feel like the pilots of this thing might actually have a flammable, viscous substance put on their left hand before going into battle, so it lights up when they are close enough to use a flamer. You know, for intimidation.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Get everyone to vote to throw the next hapless Goonlance against it and you'll have your notable pilot soon enough.

Why not let the Goons pilot one themselves, when the clans invariably topple Tharkad?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Welp... it has KNEE SRMS, we got us a bad rear end motherfucker of a mech in here.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dolash posted:

Why not let the Goons pilot one themselves, when the clans invariably topple Tharkad?

The Vipers seem to be heading straight for Terra now, based on that unit entry. I think they might just jump ahead to Skye, especially if they're going to attack Terra. Tor Miraborg is probably not going to get 'tarded like Focht when WoB tool the planet, so the smart thing would be not to bleed yourself taking a capital but, instead, to get to those tasty near-Terra planets. For instance, Skye contains New Earth, headquarters of the SLDF. That's probably got some gems hidden so well that nobody has managed to find.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I have a really good feeling about CT ammo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Has TSM been invented yet? These guys need to beeline to where ever it's being made if it has because that thing just isn't quite scary enough.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Voyager I posted:

I have a really good feeling about CT ammo.

Don't worry, I'm sure CASE will protect it from any nasty ammunition explosions! :pseudo:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Steiner Trials. :allears:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Steiner Trials are easily in the top 3 of best things this thread has produced. :allears:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Now we just need the Lyrans to somehow start creating the Berserker-C3. What a brawl that would be.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hell yeah Steiner Trials.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Given that this whole thing hinges on a DFA, couldn't PTN have rolled it, like, two days ago?

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

TildeATH posted:

Given that this whole thing hinges on a DFA, couldn't PTN have rolled it, like, two days ago?

He's got to roll for the OpFor swatting our DFA out of the sky first, so I don't think PTN would do that.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

TildeATH posted:

Doesn't it happen in the last phase? Whole turn would have to be processed to check if it was a successful DFA or a skeet shoot.

edit: bah.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TildeATH posted:

I work, and Mondays I work late into the evening which makes it very hard to update. This was exacerbated by me trying to set up a work-from-home system to prepare for the April blizzard we just suffered. Which I spent hours trying to set up and ultimately didn't work. Hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Keep warm up there!

What would be the issues with heat management in a winter/ice environment? I forget if we've already done a battle with such problems, but it would be interesting to see.

• Locked thread