Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Andrevian posted:

You know. If the ghost is like. The ghost of Kerensky, you could straight up have people arguing some kind of deeper meaning there.
That's what I was thinking. Him, or maybe Jerome Blake. Someone like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

JT Jag posted:

That's what I was thinking. Him, or maybe Jerome Blake. Someone like that.

Or a Manei Domini recon expert piloting a Medium strike 'Mech.

....Actually, if a win for "ghost" means Thomas Hogarth invents the Manei Domini out of thin air only for him to later be totally shocked when it turns out they genuinely exist, can I change my vote?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

We should never make whose ghost it is, but there should be tons of symbols. At one point it's wearing a fox mask (or a full suit; might as well accuse Hanse of being a fursuiter) and the next it carves a Cameron star into a guy's chest. The next scene someone tells the ghost to shut up and it responds "No, YOU shut up!" In the finale it can be wearing a bathrobe and having sex with a digital camera. You know, like the director was trying to be ambiguous and/or had no idea who the ghost was.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Defiance Industries posted:

We should never make whose ghost it is, but there should be tons of symbols. At one point it's wearing a fox mask (or a full suit; might as well accuse Hanse of being a fursuiter) and the next it carves a Cameron star into a guy's chest. The next scene someone tells the ghost to shut up and it responds "No, YOU shut up!" In the finale it can be wearing a bathrobe and having sex with a digital camera. You know, like the director was trying to be ambiguous and/or had no idea who the ghost was.

Lame X-Files Ending sounds like the way to go.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

TildeATH posted:

Lame X-Files Ending sounds like the way to go.
Basically the biggest advantage of the Ghost choice is that the reshoot might take a couple days as opposed to god knows how long it'd take to pull together actors representing whichever new villain you'd have to cast at the last minute, if we really do need to send that movie ahead of Hogarth. Time really is of the essence here.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Vote: No delays
Comstar
and Defy, Defy, Defy

Still can't believe Hell's Horses got beat up :(

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
The ghost is information, and information is ammo.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's the ghost of a ton of MG ammo? Maybe I'm not getting this right.

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011
A, B, B, A, A

Because it's close to a certain band name ;)

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Vote: No delays
Comstar
and Defy, Defy, Defy

Still can't believe Hell's Horses got beat up :(

My bet is that Hastur lived. We haven't seen the last of the King in Yellow. At the very least his brain will be salvageable, leading to some kind of breakthrough in neurohelmet technology. There are too many potential plot hooks there for Hastur to go to waste.

Plus, the guy's a badass with an interesting story to him. It'd be a real shame to see him go to waste.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hence the "there may be some survivors" line, I imagine.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

jng2058 posted:

Hence the "there may be some survivors" line, I imagine.

Why do I imagine an odd-couple buddy comedy starring Tjris and Hastur coming out of this?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Because that would be amazing.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Why do I imagine an odd-couple buddy comedy starring Tjris and Hastur coming out of this?

They're both super serious hardasses. Where's the comedy? :(

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Artificer posted:

Straight men.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Artificer posted:

"He's the Mech prodigy stuck in a no-armed Rifleman on a hostile planet. He's the former Commander who screams unintelligible orders through the transplex cockpit screen. They solve crimes."

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

"He's the Mech prodigy stuck in a no-armed Rifleman on a hostile planet. He's the former Commander who screams unintelligible orders through the transplex cockpit screen. They solve crimes."

Sounds more like the Clanner version of Starsky and Hutch, honestly.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

He's a bloodnamed warrior who won't take neg for an answer!
(cut to Tjris shooting at an assault with a laser pistol, yelling the entire time)

He could have been a ristar, but he turned it all down and chose to be a chalcas instead!
(Hastur silently cuts a mech in half with his Rifleman)

And now... they... have to work together...
(both of them are crawling out of the ruins of the crashed drop pod)

... if they want to survive.
(Dramatic music kicks in. Jumpcut. The two are wading through a bog. Jumpcut. The two seem to be walking through what remains of the airfield, looking around with with a degree of awe. Jumpcut, the two are trying to escape the pyroclastic flow of an erupted volcano. They run out of room, discovering there is a cliff in front of them. Tjris can't stop his momentum. He begins to fall fall over the edge. Hastur moves into frame, will he help catch him?

Jumpcut. The dramatic music ends. Both of them are now trying to jam into the cockpit of an abandoned Atlas. The Atlas has only one leg, but they have managed to prop it up with the support of a tree. The reason they are doing this is unclear in the trailer)

Tjris: "I have claimed this cockpit as isorla. I demand you move."
(Hastur just stares at Tjris)
Tjris: "Surat, you will move or I will make you move!" (He slams fist on the manual console for emphasis.)
(the Atlas's gauss rifle goes off, putting the Atlas off balance. The tree splinters and it falls. The Atlas begins to totter.)
Tjris and Hastur: "Whoooooah!"

(Cut to black.) COMING THIS CYCLE

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

JT Jag posted:

(cut to Tjris shooting at an assault with a laser pistol, yelling the entire time)

He could have been a ristar, but he turned it all down and chose to be a chalcas instead!

(Dramatic music kicks in. Jumpcut. The two are wading through a bog. Jumpcut. The two seem to be walking through what remains of the airfield, looking around with with a degree of awe. Jumpcut, the two are trying to escape the pyroclastic flow of an erupted volcano. They run out of room, discovering there is a cliff in front of them. Tjris can't stop his momentum. He begins to fall fall over the edge. Hastur moves into frame, will he help catch him?

Jumpcut. The dramatic music ends. Both of them are now trying to jam into the cockpit of an abandoned Atlas. The Atlas has only one leg, but they have managed to prop it up with the support of a tree. The reason they are doing this is unclear in the trailer)

Tjris: "Surat, you will move or I will make you move!" (He slams fist on the manual console for emphasis.)
(the Atlas's gauss rifle goes off, putting the Atlas off balance. The tree splinters and it falls. The Atlas begins to totter.)

Fund it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Amazing. Simply amazing.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I'd watch it.

Can you imagine the tottering Atlas's gauss rifle swinging out toward the screen in 3D!!!

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

JT Jag posted:

:stare:

This must occur.

UrbanUrsine
Oct 17, 2007
MVP: Star Captain Tjris Amirault

Frederick Steiner:
B)
"I'm sorry Thomas, but I can’t afford to wait. I shall send another."

I have no idea what this will do, since I'm not sure who we'd even be sending instead, but it seems like the Lyrans are just about out of time, so waiting's not an option for them.

The new Villain of Hogarth's Heroes:
E)
Duke Aldo Lestrade

Though the ghost head of Amaris in a robot suit would be great too.

Villius Tejh, Precentor Sian
B)
Defy Anastasius Focht

Pedregor Aliz, Precentor Atreus
B)
Defy Anastasius Focht

Uthar Everston, Precentor Tharkad
B)
Defy Anastasius Focht

Because gently caress Comstar forever. Let them all blow each other up until the Clans come put them out of their misery, or until Focht cleans house and make an organization that isn't batshit crazy, whatever.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

UrbanUrsine posted:

Because gently caress Comstar forever. Let them all blow each other up until the Clans come put them out of their misery, or until Focht cleans house and make an organization that isn't batshit crazy, whatever.

This Focht isn't the same as canon Focht. Canon Focht is post-identity change Frederick Steiner, who in this timeline kept his name and his right eye. This Focht seems rather different.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

JT Jag posted:

Shut up and take my money. This must be done.

Also TildeATH, what caused your latest avatar? Did you get that yourself?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Comstar are retard jerks and I hope they get the poo poo stomped out of them in this timeline.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

T.G. Xarbala posted:

This Focht isn't the same as canon Focht. Canon Focht is post-identity change Frederick Steiner, who in this timeline kept his name and his right eye. This Focht seems rather different.

Isn't it Tor Miraborg? (?)

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Affi posted:

Yes, and it looks like Precentor Space Viking is all out of gum.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Affi posted:

I thought Tor's face was scarred on the left side, not the right. But a lot of people seem to be calling Tor so I may have missed something and made the wrong assumption.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, we don't know for sure right now. We know that he calls himself the Precentor Martial, and last we heard, the PM was Miraborg. And Miraborg's face was all hosed up.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The Iron Jarl was also known for having a ruined eye, just like this Precentor Martial. Having Tor Miraborg in charge of ComStar shall be a wonderful thing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Combat Theater Vote 12

“We will not.”

A stunned, hostile silence fell across the Council of Khans. ilKhan Natasha Kerensky, the Khan of Khans, stood slowly. Her palms pressed flat against a heavy steel table as she loomed over it with the same menace as a thunderhead looming over an awakening volcano. Her lips curled into a thin, contemptuous frown. Her jaw worked furiously back and forth, like a constrictor snake trying to re-hinge its bones after a large meal. When she finally spoke, her voice was filled with incredulity.

“What did you say?”

Khan Nikoli Djerassi returned her hot-eyed stare with one of his own. His craggy features seemed carved from the dark stone of Roche, the homeworld the Goliath Scorpions shared with the Widowmakers. Their rivalry, the fury with which the two Clans fought each other, had grown to legendary proportions after the Widowmakers killed Nicholas Kerensky. It was whispered among other Clans that the Goliath Scorpions blamed themselves for the first ilKhan’s death, that their Loremaster Ethan Moreau had been in a position to prevent it had Clan Law not forbidden him from acting.

Whether this, or simple politics, was the greatest source of the Goliath Scorpion’s famed defiance was an open debate. In truth, it hardly mattered: the killing intent was plain to see in Khan Djerassi’s eyes. Like any other Elemental, that murderous intensity was never far from the surface.

“We will not turn over our supplies to Clan Widowmaker.”

Natasha’s pistol seemed to fly into her hand, she leveled the thick-barreled weapon at the recalcitrant Khan. Khan Djerassi’s eyes glistened, flicking back and forth as though trying to gauge whether he could cross the distance between them before he bled out. Natasha was an excellent shot, but Djerassi was an Elemental. His lips curled into a grim, humorless smile as if to say: the advantage remains mine.

Djerassi continued, staring down the barrel of Natasha’s pistol as though no weapon had been drawn. “The failure of Clan Widowmaker to plan for this invasion is not the responsibility of Clan Goliath Scorpion to rectify. You are correct: We do have more arms and ammunition stockpiled for this invasion than we need, and are in position to dispense with up to a quarter of it without hindering our own campaign. This is reasonable, and this we are willing to do.”

Natasha glowered, settling her pistol back on her podium. She left it out and visible, a silent reminder of the violence that had nearly happened. Violence that was never allowed in this sacred conclave. The very threat of which gave Khan Djerassi the right of challenge, though he did not seem ready to press his claim. “They shall be a gift,” he finished with a cruel smile, “to the Clan that proves most worthy.”

“Very well,” Natasha replied with a disgusted sigh. “With what forces do you—”

“No forces,” Djerassi interrupted. “We would not throw away the lives of our warriors to slake your appetites. Instead, we offer our surplus to the Clan—any Clan—who can best the others in a trial of my choosing.”

Natasha glared in silence, waiting for Djerassi to elaborate. The two stared at each other in silence, and minutes crawled by with neither willing to be the first to accede.

“Khan Djerassi,” Steel Viper Khan Natalie Breen’s voice was smoother than the rising hum of a charging PPC and nearly as electrifying. “What sort of trial do you have in mind?”

“Nothing taxing. Nothing that puts anyone’s warriors at undue risk. We shall conduct a race on one of our recently captured worlds—say,” he paused for a moment before naming a planet that the Goliath Scorpions had won the bidding for to spite the Widowmakers, “Tukayyid? Any Clan who can land a `Mech or,” he turned pointedly to Khan Siedman of the Hell’s Horses, “even a tank on Tukayyid before the month is out shall be named an eligible competitor.”

Djerassi turned again to regard Natasha Kerensky, “I trust our magnanimity pleases you, ilKhan?”

Tor Miraborg rubbed his ruined eye. The headaches had been growing steadily worse since his visit to the periphery. He blamed it on stress, but in private moments he felt compelled to admit that the deep gnawing hatred he felt for the Clans was growing distracting. They were a blight, having devoured nearly every trace of his precious Rasalhague. He longed to drive them from the Inner Sphere, back to whatever hell-worlds they’d settled on.

His fingers trailed down his left cheek, massaging the ancient scar there. It had been so long ago he’d lost his eye. Tor would’ve liked to believe he’d gained wisdom in the intervening time, but the heat of his anger was undiminished in its intensity. His fingers brushed the noteputer’s screen as he read the words contained within for the thousandth time.

Tor Miraborg, Precentor New Avalon.

The scanned document even bore the stylized emblem of Julien Tiepolo: The position a reward for Miraborg’s astounding success in the periphery. Nevermind that Villius Tejh was now Primus, the dead Tiepolo’s will was still the superior. Miraborg laughed, drawing concerned looks from the demiprecentors that now served as his aides. He waved them off. Just an old joke, he explained. Nothing to be concerned about. He hadn’t lost his mind.

Miraborg silently wondered if that were really true.

Combat Theater Vote 12:
5 December 3033

A) The Battle of Tukayyid (PvP Scenario)
At the request of Clan Goliath Scorpion, Clans Widowmaker, Steel Viper, Hell’s Horses, Jade Falcon, Burrock, Star Adder, and Ice Hellion have assembled on the recently-conquered world of Tukayyid with one goal in mind: to prove which is the most worthy to receive several thousand tons of arms and equipment from the Goliath Scorpions’ vast stockpiles by competing against their rivals in a race where death is more likely than victory.

B) Hogarth’s Heroes (1 lance)
General Thomas Hogarth and his band of expendible ultrapatriotic misfit volunteers launch a deep strike against the Isle of Skye to bring the true instigator of the evil Skye Secession to heel. Can they capture Melissa Steiner the ghost of Richard Cameron before she he can destroy the Lyran Commonwealth mislead a noble scion of House Steiner?!

C) Guerilla War (1 lance, choice to play for either House Hasek or House Liao)
With the Duchy of New Syrtis’s campaign on Larsha bogged down by intractable locals, the New Syrtis Fusiliers find themselves faced with an unenviable prospect: put down the Guerillas by any means necessary to seize the world before the Capellan Confederation can call relief troops from the Marik border. Unfortunately for the New Syrtis Fusiliers, it may already be too late.

D) The Eagle Soars (1 lance)
With Capellan troops withdrawing from many worlds along their border with House Marik, Major Carlos Marik of the 25th Marik Militia has defied orders to seize an unprecedented opportunity not only to avenge the 25th’s second battalion but to reclaim a conquered world in the process.

E) Operation Flint (Mixed Forces)
With Hanse Davion’s attention far from his spinward border, the Taurian Concordat has initiated a campaign of heavy raiding to test the local troops and to steal much-desired supplies or perhaps even to seize whole worlds from their hated neighbor…

F) Queen of the Pirates (Mixed Forces)
Facing fierce reprisals from the Draconis Suns for their daring raid on the NAIS, the Tortuga Dominions have been left bloodied and angry whilst the Lady Death revels in her stolen bounty. Discontent continues to fester among the worlds of Tortuga, and even among Paula Trevaline’s own Death’s Consorts. Under the command of a rising young pirate, a mutiny is no longer a possibility but an inevitability…

A) The Battle of Tukayyid (PvP Scenario, 1 `Mech or Vehicle each from Clan Widowmaker, Steel Viper, Hell’s Horses, Jade Falcon, Burrock, Star Adder, and Ice Hellion)
B) Hogarth’s Heroes (1 lance, Hogarth’s Heroes)
C) Guerilla War (1 lance, 7th Syrtis Fusiliers or 1st St. Ives Lancers)
D) The Eagle Soars (1 lance, 25th Marik Militia)
E) Operation: Flint (Mixed Forces, 1st Concordat Velites)
F) Queen of the Pirates (Mixed Forces, Pirate Mutineers)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 14, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Tukkay-loving-yid. :stare: Yesssss.

Edit: Oh my god these are all amazing choices.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
This one is very obviously B. You guys voted for ghosts, so lets go gently caress some ghosts up.

e: Also, pulling as gently caress for the Rasalhague Insurgency. They are the true heroes of this universe.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Call me a wierdo, but I kinda have a soft spot for the Periphery. I vote E. Go kick those Davion summabitches in the teeth, you crazy paranoid Taurians!

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
E

Because.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Goddamn that map is getting messy. Hard to believe it looked like a viable pie chart not so long ago.

I am really split between A and B, so I flipped a coin. B it is!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Gotta be B.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Oh man. I want, like, HALF of those at least!

But A it is. Maybe we'll finally see some Eponas in action? :kimchi:

Also, I seem to be one of the few people who liked the last PvP-scenario, especially the second half of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
That map is getting somewhat complex is it not? Clan Burrock has made a strategic error wrt the Rasalhague Insurgency. Their corridor of advance is rather thin in the middle, and their frontline units might find themselves with cut off supply lines. That update was something to be sure. Tor Miraborg might be going insane, and Khan Djerassi pretty much gave Natasha the "Well, what is it" gesture from Dark Souls.

As for scenario options, it's down to between A and B for me. With Choice A we have an awesome battle(?) where we might see The Viper's newest assault mech, the King Cobra. With Choice B, we will see patriotic actions a clusterfuck in the making by General Hogarth and co.

For me?

I say B) Hogarth's Heroes.

• Locked thread