Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Living Legends devs got contacted by the MWO devs and basically told to stop developing. MWO devs then released a press release claiming it was because there was no point in Living Legends because all they were doing was "trying to replicate features MWO is getting first".

It seems quite reasonable really. Living Legends still exists, but MWO did have to say 'when the two games are moving towards the same features and we have the legal rights and are trying to make money, we kinda have a problem'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

DatonKallandor posted:

Living Legends devs got contacted by the MWO devs and basically told to stop developing. MWO devs then released a press release claiming it was because there was no point in Living Legends because all they were doing was "trying to replicate features MWO is getting first".

This isn't what happened at all. Here's an article that nicely explains the perspective from both MWO and MW:LL. Out of all the games I've played over the past few years I have the say that the MWO devs are among the coolest and most level-headed in spite some hilarious bugs they've introduced into their game and some balance problems.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121621-Mechwarrior-Living-Legends-Pulls-the-Plug

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Yeah, as much as we all like to go fuckin' :pgi: everytime and everywhere, they are mostly cool, and I have a deep respect for the stuff they do.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
When they claimed, and this is a quote "We both realized that the MWLL community was small and it really wasn't competing with MWO but still each time a feature was added to MWLL that was in MWO it felt as though we were doubling up effort to restore this great brand." they lost all respect. That is pure revisionism. A blatant attempt to rewrite history to make it look like MWO was miles ahead in terms of features and always arrived at them first.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Actually that's you not being able to parse an English sentence? It doesn't say that at all. You're projecting.

e: the rest isn't worth it

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 17, 2013

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Edit: nvm - not continuing this derail of PTN's phenominal LP. Carry on gents.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I played MWLL for a while, but I couldn't get past the 3+ hour game times for even a modest game. I just tend to be back and forth from my computer in most evenings and don't like to commit to a really long game at like 8pm because I might want to get up in an hour and go do something else.

Which is a shame because it was a fun way to get immersed in battletech. And I have no interest in MWO because I'm poo poo at twitch first-person style games.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Leperflesh posted:

I played MWLL for a while, but I couldn't get past the 3+ hour game times for even a modest game. I just tend to be back and forth from my computer in most evenings and don't like to commit to a really long game at like 8pm because I might want to get up in an hour and go do something else.

Which is a shame because it was a fun way to get immersed in battletech. And I have no interest in MWO because I'm poo poo at twitch first-person style games.

I never played MWLL, is it even slower then MWO? Cause I don't tend to think of MWO as twitch compared to other FPS.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MWLL matches are huge combined arms brawls with people slowly building up the cash to buy good heavy and assault mechs to maybe break the stalemate.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

cafel posted:

I never played MWLL, is it even slower then MWO? Cause I don't tend to think of MWO as twitch compared to other FPS.

The aiming is more twitch, but the gameplay is slower, if that makes sense. The mechs are always pointing all guns on target; arms and torso are not independently traversing entities like MWO. This makes aiming much simpler and more FPS-like. However, the matches have respawn, take place on generally larger maps than MWO (some make Tourmaline or Alpine look like a closet), and there's an economy system that rewards survival, longevity and efficiency in battle. Grinding 10 or 15 minutes effectively can earn you an assault mech, but if you get destroyed before you've made your money back, you might not even be able to afford a light or a vehicle, so people are careful with their toys. Not to mention the whole combined arms aspect. The game plays more like a far-future Battlefield game than any other Mechwarrior title.

There can still be some absolutely ferocious fights in MWLL, but generally, the pace is one that spends 20-30 minutes building up to a climax, because most people are rolling weaker units until mid-late game. If MWLL is Battlefield 1942, then MWO is Counter-Strike.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wait, what? Are we talking about different things?

Legends is a top-down turn-based tactical game based on a modified version of the MegaMek client.

e. Ok yeah I was confused and thought we were talking about Mekwars: Legends. (Why the gently caress do these two things have such similar names, argh). I've never seen or even heard of MechWarrior: Living Legends.

Also there's Mechwarrior: Tactics which is also in beta. Just for more confusion.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 17, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

We're talking about Living Legends, the Crysis mod.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

We're talking about Living Legends, the Crysis mod.

Oh. Well that makes sense then. Please ignore what I said about three-hour-long matches, that applies to Mekwars: Legends, which I don't play any more for mostly that reason.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Speaking of three hours, were there any final versions for that "help my updates not take 3 hours" excel spreadsheet? It kinda dropped off my radar and I want to try it out for the coming match.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

PoptartsNinja posted:

Speaking of three hours, were there any final versions for that "help my updates not take 3 hours" excel spreadsheet? It kinda dropped off my radar and I want to try it out for the coming match.

I still have the prototype, which was put up a few pages ago. Want me to keep bashing at it?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'd appreciate that.

Vote's still going for a little while longer, just in case we get any stragglers. Regardless, I have not been idle.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

So which one's the talking dog?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You can't see it, but I'm furiously scribbling notes.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

G-G-G-Ghost Bear Pirates!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Needs more ZOINKS!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

"The Mystery Machine" would actually be a great name for a dropship.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And here I was planning on going with the LDS Super Enterprise II

I'm actually not :ssh:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 18, 2013

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

And here I was planning on going with the LDS Super Enterprise II

Clan shivs make New Yorkers twice as ornery with half the sinking.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
The most fun I've had in MM:LL was grouping up with goons in mumble, then playing Battle Armor exclusively and dominating. Toad supremacy. :frog:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I played it for a few minutes and found it largely boring with the exception of the one time I had a guy in a mech playing ring-around-the-rosey with my BA around an overpass support by popping him in the leg every time he tried to walk away. Got him so angry.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MW:LL struck me as a bit of a MOBAlike in its risk-reward structure, though instead of carries we had Toads loving around with everyone and getting richer off their frustration. It was great.

One time I hopped into a round where the team I got put on was losing pretty decisively, so I decided I'd jump into some Battle Armor and mess around with people for the rest of that match. This was on the tropical island map with the almost unscalable mountain in the middle. After a minute's worth of persistent jump jet parkour, I managed to get on a ledge on that mountain high enough that I could BA PPC-snipe people and not be easily seen. A whole gaggle of the other team was wandering around the cap point there and whenever nobody was looking at me, I'd take a potshot at them. And whenever someone decided to look up, I'd just step back and use the ledge as concealment, not that a BA is very visible from that distance against the cliff face. I was enough of a bother (and they may have been under the mistaken assumption that I might drop down and try to re-cap the point) that I kept them tied up for almost five minutes before someone realized we barely had anyone protecting the base.

There's also the time where I got a handful of heavies and assaults to chase me around in a hangar where nobody could hit me thanks to a lack of destructible terrain. And all those Fafnirs I bought on Toad-earned blood money. They were weak and died if you sneezed at them, but their size and mobility made them the kings of guerrilla warfare.

Good times.

:frogc00l:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Combat Theater Vote 12 Results

Surprising none, Hogarth’s Heroes may be a huge hit at the box office! Or it may bomb so terribly that showing it to people is a violation of the Ares Convention!
The Taurian Concordat’s grand experiment Operation: Flint may meet with resounding success in the coming months!
The Goliath Scorpions postpone their Death Race on Tukayyid to wait for “more favorable weather conditions.” Also: because it makes the Widowmakers angry.
Major Carlos Marik, son of Captain-General Duncan Marik, has gone missing behind enemy lines. His commanders remain hopeful that The Eagle Soars still.
The Capellan Confederation and the Duchy of New Syrtis have gotten bogged down in an extended Guerilla War.

Not Long Ago…

“Sit down, Uther,” Pedregor Aliz’s voice was smooth and calm. Uther just stared, an angry scowl frozen on his face. If he was impressed by the claims of ‘Anastasius Focht,’ it hardly showed. Uther’s face reddened, and then purpled, and then he grew calm.

Pedregor only smiled. “This man is who he says he is.”

“Even if he is Precentor Martial, he has no business here.” Villius Tejh practically hissed in displeasure.

“The Primus has passed,” Charles Seneca replied. “Two members of the First Circuit are missing. The vote requires five. As the two highest-ranking ComStar Precentors on the planet, that gives us every right to participate in this vote.”

“What of Precentor Pro-Tem Mori?” Tejh persisted, his brow furrowing as his chances of becoming Primus dwindled. The deal he’d struck with Aliz, to keep that furious buffoon Uther from the Primacy was unraveling before his eyes. Demi-Precentor Mori had been his ace in the hole. She too feared a ComStar hostile to her fading realm.

“Arrested,” Seneca replied with an enigmatic smile. “Leave it to Waterley to allow an O5P Adept to rise so highly in our ranks.”

“I don’t believe this!” Tejh threw up his hands. “She was thoroughly vetted! This—”

“She doesn’t matter,” Focht replied.

“We need a new Primus,” Seneca agreed. He raised a white envelope, one bearing the holographic Verigraph of the deceased. “Fortunately, Primus Tiepolo’s will is clear.”

“This is outrageous!” Villius Tejh finished. His eyes flashed with fury as he snatched for the letter in Seneca’s hand. Charles jumped back as Tejh tried to snatch it away, his left hand extended to hold the incensed Precentor at bay.

“Tiepolo was right,” Anastasius Focht began with a cruel laugh. “You are the only member of the first circuit with a spine!”

Tejh’s body jerked involuntarily as a stabbing pain lanced through the back of his neck, a scant centimeter above his collar bone. It took his brain a moment to notice that the crackling-pop he heard was a laser pistol on a low power setting. Tejh’s knees gave way and he tried to raise his hands to cushion his fall. His arms, like today’s events, refused to obey his will.

His forehead bounced from the marble floor, and Precentor Sian simply lay there as though in a daze. The sharp heel-toe procession of military boots assaulted Villius Tejh’s senses. He fought to stand and confront his attacker but his body refused to respond.

“Primus Tejh, unlike your predecessor,” Anastasius Focht’s voice was cruel and without mirth. “I do not appreciate your backbone. Gentlemen! This has been a tragic day for ComStar! Our old Primus is dead, and an Assassin very close to our hearts has gravely wounded his successor. We will, of course, be demanding concessions from the Draconis Suns. I doubt very much Hanse Davion wishes to risk interdiction in the face of the Clans; but the traitorous Sharilar Mori is now his agent. Soon, the whole of the Draconis Suns will be dancing on our strings, precisely as Primus Tiepolo intended.”

There was a shuffle of cloth as someone moved, Tejh’s ears straining to hear everything said. His eyes rolled back and forth, straining for a view his unresponsive neck muscles would no longer provide. “You, Doctor. You are from the Draconis Combine, correct? You are now Precentor Dieron. Please do your best to make sure Primus Tejh survives his injuries. It would shame us greatly if ComStar were to lose a second Primus today.”

The numerous engines of the “C-1300” transport aircraft hummed with a soothing sound as they spun massive propellers the size of a BattleMech. A military man would’ve been forgiven for noticing the inside of the improbably large transport aircraft looked like the cramped `Mechbay of a Leopard-class Dropship, and that no shots showed the mythical C-1300’s tail. Which was, in fact, the tail end of a Leopard-Class Dropship.

“Alright you lugs, saddle-up!” Thomas Hogarth shouted heroically over the rhythmic thrum of those massive turbines. He struck a heroic pose and the holocams panned away so he could use a lurking cherry-picker to ascend to his `Mech rather than ascending the whole way by hand. Cherry pickers were commonly used equipment, but they weren’t cinematic. Hogarth settled into position, climbing the last meter or so under the careful eye of the holocams, and settled into the massive bulk of his skull-faced Atlas II.

“This is it, the mission we’ve been training for!” He shouted just quietly enough to make sure the microphone hidden in his collar didn’t squeal. “The forces of Skye are holding Duchess Melissa Steiner in the Winter Palace on Summer! She and her husband are being guarded by Red Corsair mercenary forces. We’re the only unit in range to rescue them, and failure isn’t an option! All `Mechwarriors, check in!”

“Major Andrew Steiner here,” the cockpit of Andrew’s awesome flashed unrealistically as the high-watt strobes filled the cockpit with light. It was an old trick, used to show the `Mechwarrior was talking. It was also extremely disconcerting for the pilot, but the neurohelmet should keep Andrew from being blinded or dazzled. “I hope this doesn’t take too long,” he continued without missing a beat, “my home planet needs me!”

“This is,” the third pilot paused momentarily, a trace of disgruntlement creeping into her deep voice. Hogarth made a mental note to add some extra feedback in post, to disguise that. Her Banshee turned slightly to better face his Atlas. “Vasquez. I’m hot and ready to drop, let’s kick Richard Cameron’s ghostly rear end back to Terra!”

“Colonel Schultz here,” The Zeus’s cockpit flashed as well, and the three massive heat sinks on its shoulders opened distinctively. “I knew my brothers and sisters in Skye were no traitors!”

“That remains to be seen,” Hogarth replied, “but we’re hopeful. Richard Cameron’s machinations have proven insidious, we never would’ve learned about him if it weren’t for those Heimdall mystics Loki rescued! Our job is to get in, rescue Melissa, and take out Richard Cameron! There’s no way to tell what we’ll encounter on the ground, but I’d estimate no less than two lances: some fast scouts, and another lance holding the Duchess and her husband prisoner.”

Hogarth paused dramatically, his determination evident in his eyes and the heroic set of his jaw. “This is it, heroes! You don’t need any speeches from me, you know what to do. Prepare for drop!”

Hogarth’s Heroes
1) AS7-D-HGB Atlas II – “General” Thomas Hogarth (Malachite_Dragon)
2) AWS-XGB Awesome – Major Andrew Steiner (Helter Skelter)
3) BNC-3S Banshee – Sergeant Marshall “Vasquez” Hobbes (GhostStalker)
4) ZEU-XGB Zeus – Colonel Wilhelm Schultz (Holybat)

Reserve Pilots
Carbolic, Red_October_7000, Tiny, Ferrosol

1st Red Corsairs
Skye Prison Guard Lance
1) BLR-1G Battlemaster – “The Red Corsair”
2) BL-7-KNT-GB Black Knight – “Richard Cameron”
3) DRG-1G Grand Dragon – “Jake Finn”
4) KTO-18 Kintaro – “Peter Watson”

Fast Scout Lance
5) PNT-9R Panther 1 – “Ukabi Smith”
6) JVN-10N Javelin – “Rex Shepard III esq”
7) WFT-1 Wolf Trap – “Pepper Stark”
8) PNT-9R Panther 2 – “Anthony Hawke”

Primary Objectives
Rescue Melissa Steiner and Clovis Holstein (0/2)
Defeat Richard Cameron (0/1)
[Unknown]
[Unknown]

Secondary Objectives
One of Hogarth’s Heroes“dies” dramatically, but no more than one (0/1)
Hogarth kills the ghost with his Ghost-Killer PPC (0/1)
Cross the Streams (0/4)

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yessss. :getin:

Love the cheesy 80s action movie intro.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
:stare: An Atlas II? I thought they all left with Kerensky.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Just gonna throw out that that map is quite difficult to look at with the colours of the two different types of hexes being so similar. It's fine looking for the larger areas, but the smaller islands like 1807, 1808 and 1908 take a bit of effort to see.

This mission is going to be awesome though.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I hope Vasquez has never been mistaken for a man. :allears:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ActionZero posted:

Just gonna throw out that that map is quite difficult to look at with the colours of the two different types of hexes being so similar. It's fine looking for the larger areas, but the smaller islands like 1807, 1808 and 1908 take a bit of effort to see.

That's the base map. Since the mission is being filmed on Tharkad.

It may or may not all be tinted green to "simulate grass" (it'll depend on whether that makes things easier or harder to see).

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:stare: I had completely forgotten I was on the pilot list. I'm somewhere between :getin: and :cry:, but I'll make do!

Edit: And yes, I know my avatar is horrible. Someone in IRC took offense to me making a joke about my cats being 'tortured' with paper bags in response to ruining my furniture. Because cats hate bags, you see. Almost as much as they hate boxes. :rolleyes:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 19, 2013

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oh lord those secondary objectives, this is going to be amazing!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's the base map. Since the mission is being filmed on Tharkad.

It may or may not all be tinted green to "simulate grass" (it'll depend on whether that makes things easier or harder to see).

Please do, it's really hard on my eyes as it is. :(

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
drat these Steiners and their 'My Home Planet's .

Are the darker blue squares icy terrain? If so is there the chance that someone could slide off the map by accident? Also this is the perfect mission for a pilot to have the name of GhostStalker.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Trundel posted:

Are the darker blue squares icy terrain?

Yes. And the surface of the water is covered in ice thick enough to support an Atlas (unless you fall).

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

So, really what you're saying is Thomas Hogarth is a huge fan of "On Ice" adaptations and this will be a stunning display of piloting 'mechs on ice, set to a delightful arrangement of heroic music with a lightshow to match.

I can dig.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes. And the surface of the water is covered in ice thick enough to support an Atlas (unless you fall).

Don't turn and run on ice just don't. Do remember you can push or charge an enemy mech on to ice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ferrosol posted:

Don't turn and run on ice just don't. Do remember you can push or charge an enemy mech on to ice...

What ice, good sir? That is clearly just very hard ground.

See? Clearly it's not ice at all, and those flakes falling from the sky are just very large and visible pollen!

That should be better, it even passed my "colorblind test"

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 19, 2013

• Locked thread