Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pussy Cartel posted:

I'm sure they can touch up a bunch of Tharkad pigeons to look like doves in post.

Glacial planets have pigeons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Tharkad's pigeons are four tons and flightless, and have beaks that can pry open a hovercar. They're prized for their delicious meat, and thrive by consuming the Tharkad Ice Vole, a pest that digs extensive warrens in the glacial shelf which can lead to extensive collapses when enough weight is applied.

this isn't true, incidentally, but it should be!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

Tharkad's pigeons are four tons and flightless, and have beaks that can pry open a hovercar. They're prized for their delicious meat, and thrive by consuming the Tharkad Ice Vole, a pest that digs extensive warrens in the glacial shelf which can lead to extensive collapses when enough weight is applied.

Well why not, Clan Widowmaker is named after a spider that did the same adaptation to freaky size kind of thing (albeit not to the size of the Tharkad Polar Pigeon) and so-on-and-so-forth across the Clan worlds.

Plus, it finally gives a totem animal to my poor, bedraggled Steiners.

I can't wait to see the Clan Polar Pigeon occupation zone.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

TildeATH posted:

I can't wait to see the Clan Polar Pigeon occupation zone.

Centered around what's left of New St. Andrews, and shared with the Ghost Bears and Sea Foxes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Why would they go to some dead planet in the Periphery when the NRWR capital world is Andurien?

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Clearly the Clan Polar Pigeon Occupation Zone is centred on Main Street.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Then I am proud to admit I have used this idiom incorrectly!

Also I agree with DCB wholeheartedly.

No, you used it correctly, as it means and has always meant "to discuss the basic facts of a situation". Nobody knows exactly where it came from other than that it's a 19th century Anerican expression; I've heard spmething similar to PTN's origin before, although without the implication of desperation. Rather, as "every detail, down to the last brass tacks" in an idiomatic boot. I've also heard it as originating from haggling over the price of cloth, where approximate measurements are made using the distance between tacks in a shopkeeper's counter.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 21, 2013

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Cease to Hope posted:

No, you used it correctly, as it means and has always meant "to discuss the basic facts of a situation". Nobody knows exactly where it came from other than that it's a 19th century Anerican expression; I've heard spmething similar to PTN's origin before, although without the implication of desperation. Rather, as "every detail, down to the last brass tacks" in an idiomatic boot. I've also heard it as originating from haggling over the price of cloth, where approximate measurements areade using the distance between tacks in a shopkeeper's counter.

My favorite explanation is that it's cockney rhyme for "facts".

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TildeATH posted:

My favorite explanation is that it's cockney rhyme for "facts".

It's an American expression, though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Cease to Hope posted:

It's an American expression, though.

And it doesn't rhyme :downs:

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Cockney rhyming slang would involve the fact that 'facts' and 'tacks' can be rhymed. But I'm being pedantic, as above this is an American expression.

Bonus points if someone can make a metaphor for the size of Hogarth's mech in terms of Twinkie size.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SageNytell posted:

Bonus points if someone can make a metaphor for the size of Hogarth's mech in terms of Twinkie size.

If I've done my math right his Atlas II is the equivalent of 2,791,338 Twinkies.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Its been my experience that cockney rhyming slang doesn't really give a good goddamn about things like logic and sense. 'Tacks' and 'Facts' is positively mundane compared to, say, 'Would you Adam and Eve it?' or 'Get up those apples to bed!'. :psyboom:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 21, 2013

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Use your loaf!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PoptartsNinja posted:

If this was a Star Wars game, I would fully expect to find that entry in Wookiepedia.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PhotoKirk posted:

If this was a Star Wars game, I would fully expect to find that entry in Wookiepedia.

Maybe someday Sarna will be as hilariously obsessive as Wookiepedia.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

PoptartsNinja posted:

If I've done my math right his Atlas II is the equivalent of 2,791,338 Twinkies.

"That's a big Twinkie."
:goonsay:

Let's bust some ghosts!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Pussy Cartel posted:

Maybe someday Sarna will be as hilariously obsessive as Wookiepedia.

We can only hope.

Wanna see those RAC's go full auto and not jam at least once here, PTN's Dice. Don't let us down. :orks101:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And always remember that the proper, cheap-rear end, 80s, way of making PPC fire special effects is by scratching the film tape to make the beams.

I'm waiting for the inevitable wobbie outbreak in the middle of the film studio.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

GhostStalker, I know you're around but both your forum name and provided e-mail address have failed. Try to get me a replacement ASAP or I'll have to call in an alternate!

Sorry, I had no access to the internet this weekend, and I don't have PMs. Hopefully I'm not too late to claim my spot. This is just too good of a scenario to miss, given my forums name and the mission involved. Having never played BattleTech in my life will only make this even more hilarious.

If I'm still good to go here and you haven't activated an alternate, my email should be gdighoststalker @ gmail.

That being said, I really should get Plat and PMs. Maybe when my tax refund check arrives (which probably won't be for a while since I forgot to sign the drat things before I mailed them off... I know the Feds have my return, since they cashed the check I sent along with it, but my refund is coming through my state return, and I have no idea when that will clear, especially if they return them to me to sign...)

EDIT: Hey, someone bought me Plat! Thanks, mysterious benefactor! Guess you can send those PMs to me now, PTN.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 22, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Its been my experience that cockney rhyming slang doesn't really give a good goddamn about things like logic and sense. 'Tacks' and 'Facts' is positively mundane compared to, say, 'Would you Adam and Eve it?' or 'Get up those apples to bed!'. :psyboom:
Man, you should see some of the regional variants of that when it caught on thanks to lovely soaps. Have you any idea what "up the Damien" means?

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

GhostStalker posted:

Sorry, I had no access to the internet this weekend, and I don't have PMs. Hopefully I'm not too late to claim my spot. This is just too good of a scenario to miss, given my forums name and the mission involved. Having never played BattleTech in my life will only make this even more hilarious.

If I'm still good to go here and you haven't activated an alternate, my email should be gdighoststalker @ gmail.

That being said, I really should get Plat and PMs. Maybe when my tax refund check arrives (which probably won't be for a while since I forgot to sign the drat things before I mailed them off... I know the Feds have my return, since they cashed the check I sent along with it, but my refund is coming through my state return, and I have no idea when that will clear, especially if they return them to me to sign...)

EDIT: Hey, someone bought me Plat! Thanks, mysterious benefactor! Guess you can send those PMs to me now, PTN.

Hey welcome aboard GhostStalker!

Just so you get the message here as well basically from what I read in Malachite Dragon and Helter Skelter's PMs and my own movement for this turn. MD is headed for 0327, HS is headed to 0626 and I've made it to 0726 for Turn 1.

edit: got a message that you can't receive PMs, GhostStalker

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Holybat posted:

edit: got a message that you can't receive PMs, GhostStalker

He must've forgotten to enable PMs in his user settings.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

He must've forgotten to enable PMs in his user settings.

Yeah, I forgot to enable that. Try again now, I should be good to go.

EDIT: Oh, and before Xarbala tries to burn me anymore, thanks for reminding me I had to do that, dude.

Also, got the PM that contained the link to the GoogleDoc. I'm gonna go take a look right now.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 22, 2013

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Arquinsiel posted:

Man, you should see some of the regional variants of that when it caught on thanks to lovely soaps. Have you any idea what "up the Damien" means?

A reference to Damien Duff, most likely. Which would essentially translate the phrase as 'pregnant'

But we digress. Welcome aboard, GhostStalker.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Orders sent, sorry for the delay. Let's get this show on the road!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
All delays at this time are on my end. Work changed my schedule which has made it nearly impossible to update on Monday/Tuesday (I'm still at work right now). Expect an update as soon as I get an opportunity to work on it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hogarth’s Heroes: Tactical Update 2

Combat Phase
1) Hogarth’s Atlas II
- Holds fire!

2) Steiner’s Awesome
- Holds fire!

3) Vasquez’s Banshee
- Fires PPC at Javelin Red 6 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 12, hit Left Torso (0/8 armor, 5/7 structure remains)! Cini-Crit!
- Fires PPC at Javelin Red 6 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 4, miss!

4) Schultz’s Zeus
- Fires PPC at Javelin Red 6 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods + 1 partial cover = 12): rolled 7, !
- Fires Large Laser at Javelin Red 6 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods + 1 partial cover = 12): rolled 5, !
- Fires Large Laser at Javelin Red 6 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods + 1 partial cover = 12): rolled 6, !
- Fires LRM-15 at Javelin Red 6 (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 11, 12 missiles hit Right Leg (3/8 armor remains), Center Torso (3/8 armor remains), Right Leg (1/8 armor remains)!

End Phase:
Javelin Red 6
- Cinematic Critical Chance! 2 Cine-Crits sustained!
- - Fruit Vendor demolished!
- - Cardboard Boxes destroyed!

“I’m on the ground,” Vasquez announced, “her” deep falsetto voice and stocky figure not matching the slender woman who would be crawling into and out of the Banshee’s cockpit on the silver screen. Hogarth was a firm believer in verisimilitude however, and only the battlefield reactions of a real `Mechwarrior would do. Anything else could be edited in post, but the `Mech combat had to look real and sound real and from Hogarth’s experience no studio sound-booth could replicate the sounds of a pilot fighting for his or her life.

“I’m down too. That’s the last of us,” Hogarth replied, pressing the button that would trigger the release of his own massive parachute. He twisted his Atlas in place, bringing the barrel of his arm-mounted “rotary autocannon” up to speed in a menacing fashion. “Major Steiner, Colonel Schultz, you’re our scouts. Get those light `Mechs of yours in gear, I want the enemy’s forces found pronto!”

“Enemy contact, bearing two-zero-zero,” Schultz announced a moment later as he let fly with his long-range armament.

“Confirmed,” Vasquez replied sourly. Without any remorse she let loose with her PPCs. Her target, a distant and unprepared Javelin staggered as her PPC scoured the armor from its left torso. It staggered backwards, its massive foot toppling a cart of fruit and sending the out-of-place vendor careening into a pile of cardboard boxes. Luck was with it, however, as neither of those extremely volatile objects burst into flames or exploded.

Primary Objectives
Rescue Melissa Steiner and Clovis Holstein (0/2)
Defeat Richard Cameron (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
One of Hogarth’s Heroes“dies” dramatically, but no more than one (0/1)
Hogarth kills the ghost with his Ghost-Killer PPC (0/1)
Cross the Streams (0/4)

Hidden Objectives
Piles of Cardboard Boxes Destroyed: 1
Fruit Carts Destroyed: 1
[Unknown]
[Unknown]

Key:
Blue1) Atlas II
Blue2) Awesome
Blue3) Banshee
Blue4) Zeus

Enemy `Mech Key
Red1) Battlemaster – Ran, 2
Red2) Dragon – Ran, 3
Red3) Kintaro – Ran, 2
Red4) Black Knight – Stationary, 0
Red5) Panther 1 – Ran, 2
Red6) Javelin – Jumped, 2
Red7) Wolf Trap – Ran, 3
Red8) Panther 2 – Ran, 2

Player `Mech Status

Enemy `Mech Status

Cinematic Crit Table
2 – Railing Kill / Protagonist Injured!
3 – Stunned Enemy / Protagonist Flesh Wound!
4 – Huge Random Explosion!
5 – Fruit Vendor Demolished / Chickens Escape / Outhouse Detonates!
6 – Cardboard Boxes Destroyed!
7 – Wilhelm Scream / Flubbed Line!
8 – Wooden Boxes Destroyed!
9 – Explosive Barrels Explode Unexpectedly!
10 – Something Catches Fire / THARKAD PIDGEON ATTACK!
11 – Delayed Casualty / Protagonist Flesh Wound!
12 – Kneecapped / Protagonist Injured!

Disclaimer: The Cinimatic Crit Table may change randomly if I get a better idea

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 25, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You forgot the stack of chickens in shoddy wire cages dramatically falls over, opens and lets them run amok.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
"MY CABBAGES."

I guess fruit, in this case.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Arquinsiel posted:

You forgot the stack of chickens in shoddy wire cages dramatically falls over, opens and lets them run amok.

There are still two more hidden objectives. I imagine the other one is the fragile pane of glass being carried back and forth across the road.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Ahaha, light mechs indeed Hogarth!

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

There are still two more hidden objectives. I imagine the other one is the fragile pane of glass being carried back and forth across the road.

Eh, probably something more along the lines "car randomly explodes for no reason"

Or a mech.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

We need to light something on fire so that a guy can be on fire and run in slow motion waving his arms.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Calax posted:

Eh, probably something more along the lines "car randomly explodes for no reason"

Every weapon fired must cause some form of collateral damage!

But no, those two listed hidden objectives are actual objectives.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Well isn't this magical and 80's. :allears:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Artificer posted:

"MY CABBAGES."

I guess fruit, in this case.

Hahaha, even in a completely different universe Cabbage man still is Lady Luck's plaything.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

And a little old lady barely avoids being stepped on and hits a mech with her handbag and/or waves her walking stick at the ruffian mechs while screaming unladylike yet quaint old-timey obsecenities?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The cinematic crit table is a thing of beauty and I am glad the thread chose to shoot a TV Show. I think everyone needed that after the meat grinder that was last campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
I'm so glad we picked this scenario, it's more beautiful then I could have imagined.

• Locked thread