Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Along with FractionJackson and our wonderful group of remaining asskickers, I helped maneuver the Death Commandos with a blob formation.

Then I died repeatedly and unceremoniously in the next match by getting shot in the butt in a warhammer. Sad day. Still awesome though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I drove a Po and shot lots of MRMs at things and occasionally hit.

Me, too. Driving those dainty fairies gave the best front-row seats in the house to the fight.

Also, I got lamed on like turn one and kinda dicked around the rest of the match.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I died pointlessly to one of the characters from Far Country. I hold out hope that my guy got the easy way out and the rest of Clan Sea Fox are now the vanguard of the invading scree-CAAAAAAW empire.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
The glorious strength of the Tetatae and the huge money sacks of the Sea Foxes: together, they conquer galaxies.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

GenericServices posted:

The glorious strength of the Tetatae and the huge money sacks of the Sea Foxes: together, they conquer galaxies.

Clan Sea Gull

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

thatbastardken posted:

Clan Sea Gull

Young warriors are sent to the ritual garbage pile, where they scream loudly at each other and eat leftover Cool Ranch Doritos. Few survive.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

thatbastardken posted:

Clan Sea Gull

I look forward to the inevitable MRM Bicarbonate Payload Missile, aka "Alka-Seltzer Shot."

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Unfortunately, that would require me to own a working laptop. Which I do not.

Did you at some point in fact own a functioning laptop?
Better question, would you like to again?

I think there may be some members of the thread who (myself included) may be willing to chip in 5 or :10bux:.
Either that or we'll buy you a washing machine to keep your broken laptop in.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Or if that doesn't work out, a non-functional washing machine and a length of steel pipe. You know how satisfying it is to go totally sickhouse on a washing machine with a pipe?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
All of your achievements pale in comparison to being head capped twice in a row. And then piloting a suicide joke mech with no armor that somehow survived. I'm just that good at beating the odds. :smug:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Defiance Industries posted:

And it's been 21 months since I, as Captain Paul Masters, lead Rolling Thunder into battle against my archenemy Ion Rush and was accused of having a cult of personality. CRAZY.

ps gently caress Ion Rush

Surely it hasn't been that lo... oh holy gently caress it has.

gently caress Ion Rush.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was there when we were struggling to keep the band together and the boat afloat, when things were looking grim for GoonCompany and the Davion fans started crowing victory with every Goon down. Those were some rough times and defeat was always right around the corner, but we held on and managed to pull through. I'm still really proud to be a part of that and grateful that PTN's putting in all this work for us.

Also, I jumped on an Awesome and was a nigh-untouchable bastard, which was neat.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I haven't contributed to the war effort directly, but I have been at the forefront of the Cappellan campaign to reduce the number of war orphans left by combat in the Inner Sphere. Primarily through a combination of executing women and children, and killing Clanners who are orphans by nature.

Truly, we do the (First) Lord's work. :china:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I'm a bit late to this fun, but:

I praised the Sun on Luthien.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Keru posted:

The Mad Dogs cry out in the night/
As they grow restless longing for their solitary sibko/
I know that I must win this fight/
As sure as Olympus Mons rises like Kilimanjaro above the Amazonis/
I seek to conquer every height, training to be the warrior I must become/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Defiance Industries posted:

Or if that doesn't work out, a non-functional washing machine and a length of steel pipe. You know how satisfying it is to go totally sickhouse on a washing machine with a pipe?
I actually do.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Keru posted:

If only we all could be so grossly incandescent!

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Fraction Jackson posted:

Also for about three or four weeks, I was John Madden.

That was the best thing that ever happened to this thread.

JT Jag posted:

I helped make a gangtag.

Oh! I bought Xarbala an Awesome avatar.

Get it.

Because Awesome.

:iia:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Keru posted:

:ranbowdash::respek::ranbowdash:

Hells Horses: We ride together, we die together.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's good to be home!

... Even better to be home and finding out that while I was on my flights Catalyst decided to buy one of my short stories after all!

I won't say anything about it.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Congrats, PTN! Consider me officially intrigued.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's good to be home!

... Even better to be home and finding out that while I was on my flights Catalyst decided to buy one of my short stories after all!

I won't say anything about it.

Those guys, huh? You've got my attention...

VVV I think it's being published on Battlecorps, but maybe things have changed.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 9, 2013

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

You'll have to let us know where it's being published!

I mean, you might of mentioned already, but for the benefit of those of us who don't remember.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Nice, definitely looking forward to reading more of your writing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Congrats, PTN! Hope there's more work lined up for you after this one.

BMcDonough
Jul 30, 2013
Congratulations, PTN!

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

TildeATH posted:

Young warriors are sent to the ritual garbage pile, where they scream loudly at each other and eat leftover Cool Ranch Doritos. Few survive.

Honestly, I saw that an thought of the old nissan commercials from the 90's with the birds that were literally fighter planes.

But those are pigeons.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Calax posted:

Honestly, I saw that an thought of the old nissan commercials from the 90's with the birds that were literally fighter planes.

But those are pigeons.

Gemstone Pigeons is the best Clan.

Congrats PTN!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

bunnyofdoom posted:

Two and half years ago, I invented the JUSTICE FOOT on some Capellan Bastard's face.

Two and a half years ago, I got in a Capellan Bastard's face so much he backed up against a hill one of my teammates was standing on. The rest is history :respek:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Political Vote 13

Star Captain Kyl’s Cougar landed with hardly a sound, its clawlike feet tearing deep divots in the soil. The twelve nearly identical `Mechs in his short Trinary kept pace easily, matching his every jump as they probed the distant defensive line with their long-range weapons. Return fire was sporadic at best, but still far heavier than Kyl had expected. Several of the enemy `Mechs had to be mounting Star League-era extended-range lasers. The Draconis Combine was pulling out all the stops.

His thin lips curled into a mirthless smile. Now that House Kurita’s forces had stopped responding to honorable batchalls, he’d wondered whether their hearts had been cut out by the loss of their capitol. He was glad to see they still had some fight left in them.

The enemy Battalion’s red-white-blue-white-red camouflage was new. From Kyl’s experience, the Kuritans tended to favor local camouflage or a muted copper-red that reminded him of drying blood. This enemy still bore parade colors, he decided, which meant they were likely recent arrivals here on Darius. Perhaps they were even reinforcements from the Draconis Combine’s border with the Federated Suns. One jump from Arkab, Kyl had been expecting to face one of the Arkab legions. He didn’t know what to expect from this new formation, but they’d already made the classic Kurita mistake.

The enemy unit had lined up practically shoulder to shoulder in a defensive line between the Clans and Darius’s capital city. Their formations were spread thin, suited to a slugging match or a series of single combats and ill-prepared for the Jade Falcons. Kyl’s radio crackled as Star Colonel Tyren Malthus spoke but a single word.

“Begin.”

Kyl’s brought his `Mech about with a graceful pirouette. Pride swelled in his breast as his Trinary followed in almost perfect unison as they charged the Kuritan lines. Somewhere behind him, Mechwarrior Hal’s Cougar stumbled then fell to the unforgiving earth as a lucky hit from a Gauss Rifle smashed the little `Mech’s gyro. Kyl feathered his jets, taking first a short hop then leaping boldly over the line of enemy `Mechs.

In a normal battle, such a maneuver would’ve been suicidal; but with the bulk of the enemy Battalion spread out in anticipation of a frontal assault; none were in a good position to counter his `Mechs; and any that tried would be forced to turn their backs to the rest of Tyren Malthus’s forces. Kyl knew such tactics tended to draw the ire of the Widowmakers, but he was a Jade Falcon, and every Jade Falcon knew the victory was more important than the path taken to achieve it.

As Kyl touched down, he brought his crosshairs in line with a Battlemaster’s thin rear armor. The enemy pilot didn’t turn, though his `Mech’s battle computer would have been screaming warnings in the pilot’s ear. Kyl’s own computer signaled a lock with a cheerful tone. Kyl’s fingers tightened on the trigger—

His `Mech staggered and fell as a pair of heavy autocannons smashed into the Cougar’s knees, his pulse lasers discharging harmlessly into the dirt at his feet. A lance of agony split Kyl’s skull as his gyro tumbled, but even his consummate skill with his lightweight machine wasn’t enough to keep it from plowing face-first into the soft ground below.

The young mechwarrior shook his head, then regretted it as his vision swam. His Cougar’s clawlike hands curled, seizing a fistful of topsoil in response to some instinctive command Kyl didn’t remember giving. As his head cleared, he stretched his `Mech’s arm out to give him a little more leverage as he stood back up.

The heavy treads of a Demolisher tank in the drab mottled browns and greens of the Arkab legions crushed his Cougar’s outstretched arm and pinned his machine firmly to the ground. The machine’s turret spun with slow deliberation, the barrels of its two massive autocannons whining in protest as they struggled to depress far enough to hit his prone machine. Kyl stared in silence, not at the stylized dragon on the machine’s heavily armored sides, but at the sword around which it now appeared to be wrapped.

Kyl closed his eyes as he thumbed the transmit button on his left joystick. “Star Colonel,” he said calmly. “House Kurita has joined forces with House Davion.”

If there was a reply, Kyl didn’t hear it over the roar of the Demolisher’s autocannons and the sound of shattering Transplex.

The tip of a pen rapped an uneven rhythm against the surface of a vast conference table. The wood wasn’t naturally the deep chestnut color it now possessed, but careful treatment had leant the light pine a resemblance to Terran mahogany. Protector Calderon quite liked the table; he felt it was a good match for the deep burgundy carpets and the severe, militaristic decor.

“There has been no response? No sanction, no threats, not even an acknowledgement?”

“None, Protector,” Marshal Doru admitted. “There have been no troop movements, they’re not reinforcing even a single world.”

The rhythmic tapping came to a sudden sharp stop as Edward Calderon’s hand stilled. Steel-gray eyes stared from beneath his heavy brow as the young Protector drew the obvious conclusions. The Taurian Concordat wasn’t a threat, a little raiding wasn’t unusual and other wars—more important wars—had drawn everyone’s attention elsewhere. He felt like laughing, the situation was far too perfect. He may even have done so had his vision not at that moment been filled with the smiling face of his late father.

Edward pressed a handkerchief to his brow as though wiping away a nervous sweat; using the motion to cover the rage that contorted his face into a painful grimace. There had been inquests and executions after a terrorist bomb had destroyed his father’s dropship; but the seventeen year old leader of the Taurian Concordat wasn’t satisfied with the deaths of home-grown dissidents when the real perpetrators of the attack sat safe and unpunished in palaces they considered far beyond reprisals. Operation: Flint, the testing of his enemy’s defenses had proven beyond the shadow of a doubt how little his enemies thought of him.

Dabbing at his brow, Protector Calderon let his hand settle back to the tabletop. His features were calm and devoid of emotion as he signed the executive order he’d been considering for the past three hours. “Operation: Steel has been approved, Marshall. You may proceed with your invasion.”

Marshall Haji Doru bowed his head as he accepted the signed document. “And my other request, Protector? What of the Vendetta?”

“—to pass through the Free Worlds League unmolested. We seek only the death of Stefan Amaris. If you grant us passage, we will bother neither you nor your people. If you wish to oppose us, we will win the right to pass unmolested in combat and shall await you here on the planet Castor, which has already surrendered to us. Be warned: should you ignore this Batchall, let it be known that we shall not hesitate to engage in orbital bombardments against any world that raises arms against us. We will not tolerate delay.”

The message ended then, abruptly and without fanfare. With a button-press Duncan Marik rewound the message to the beginning, and paused the recording. His eyes twitched back and forth like those of a hunting lizard as he committed the faces of the leaders of Clan Sea Fox, Snow Raven, and Ghost Bear to memory. A deep sigh shook Duncan Marik then. The Clans had come, and the stability of the Free Worlds League was already as fragile as an egg.

If he allowed them to pass, his people would undoubtedly revolt unless the Clan passage was carefully disguised. If he resisted—well, he’d seen the last images from Castor as her aerospace wing was cut down one by one in suicidal attack runs against dozens of kilometer-long vessels not seen since the deadliest days of the First Succession War. The Free Worlds League wouldn’t survive the devastation of so many worlds. Irian was in their path, its loss alone would cripple the League for centuries. Holt too, where his son Carlos had gone missing in a daring attack on the Capellan Confederation. His loss would be less devastating to the League itself, but not to Duncan Marik. Perhaps.

Duncan couldn’t believe the Clans would simply turn around and leave if he won their confusing “trial.” He didn’t understand the rules of this little game they seemed to play; and without knowing the rules he couldn’t possibly win. He squeezed his eyes shut, and thumbed the play button again. Perhaps he’d missed something he could use in the dozen times he’d already viewed the short message.

“Captain-General of the Free Worlds League, listen to our Batchall and tremble in your boots. You face the combined forces of Clan Sea Fox and Snow Raven, and a cluster of warriors from Clan Ghost Bear. We seek to pass through the Free Worlds League Unmolested. We seek—”

Political Vote 13:

Taurian Concordat:
A) Deploy the TCS Vendetta.
B) Hold the TCS Vendetta in reserve.
C) The Warship is too important, do not deploy the TCS Vendetta.

Free Worlds League
A) Allow the Clans to pass unmolested.
B) Agree to the Clan Batchall.
C) Attempt to stall for time by asking the Clans what a Batchall is.
D) drat the consequences, ignore the Clan Batchall and oppose them every step of the way!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 10, 2013

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B A Allowing the Clans through let's Marik deal with two problems at once. All he has to do is hide a massive invasion force as it passes through the FWL, shouldn't be too hard :v:.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Taurian Concordat Vote: A. I can't see the Taurians not immediately committing everything and regretting it later. Especially if they are going against the Davions.

FWL Vote: D. No self respecting Inner Sphere nation should ever bow to the whims of the Clans. Maybe these outside invaders will unify the Mariks (for a couple weeks).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Taurian: B.

FWL: D. gently caress everything.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Taurian Vote: A, they're an all in sort, and the newly-appointed young Protector probably doesn't want to look indecisive or weak.

FWL Vote: B

I'm not entirely sure if this is the best option, but orbital bombardments would make pretty quick work of any FWL planet on the way. I'm not sure whether an Amaris or Clan victory is preferable and it does look like answering the Batchall is the best way to anger the fewest people for the least loss of life, including the Free Worlder citizens themselves.

Losing the Batchall and letting the Clans through would remove Amaris as a threat but winning would keep the country stable. Steve would probably take as much advantage of that situation as possible, though.

Might give us a chance to see the Knights fight, though, and if that's the case I'd be remiss not to vote for them.

EDIT: You know what? Let's go with C then and see if we can't pull off something silly.

Runa fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 10, 2013

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Going to go for A for the first option, and D for the second.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

A B

I've never really liked the Concordiat that much, and committing everything now will just make it easier for them to get steamrolled later.

Let the Trial happen - this might be the best chance Marik has of seeing how the Clans fight.

E: Changed my vote

anakha fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 15, 2013

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

PoptartsNinja posted:

“Star Colonel,” he said calmly. “House Kurita has joined forces with House Davion.”
So nice to see the clans get blindsided every now and then. Drive 'em back, boys and girls, all the way past the periphery!
Political Vote 13:
Taurian Concordat:
A) Deploy the TCS Vendetta.

Free Worlds League
B) Agree to the Clan Batchall.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

A and A

Warships :getin:

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
A and A

The first A for no particular reason, the second A because if the Clans pass through FWL territory to get to Stefan Amaris they'll be separated from the other clans in both supplies and potential reinforcements, fighting a battle with the New Rim Worlds Republic and expending resources to carry out said fight, and completely enclosed within the Free World's League meaning (hopefully) short supply lines for the Free World's League forces should they engage the clans.

Politics and public unrest aside, tactically this is one of the best decisions you can make.

It's too bad that in Battletech everyone hates each other; if the Lyrans, Capellans, or possibly even the Davions knew about this golden opportunity they might be inclined to send a portion of their own forces to help knock two entire clans out of the invasion, if only to ensure that they aren't fighting them later in a less favorable position.

Facetious Jim fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A
and
A

I wanna see some Amaris vs Clan action. Let's not delay.

• Locked thread