Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

cafel posted:

The developers don't have the best idea of what they're doing or what's the best way to accomplish it. Updates tend to break things and sometimes those things take a long time to fix or are never fixed. Balancing varies between doing nothing for months and then dramatically over correcting without adequate testing. Some of the faces of the company are kind of assholes. There's been a bit of a dearth of new content since launch, with just a couple of new mechs and maps, which have been a very mixed bag quality wise, and no new gameplay features like alternate game modes or community warfare. These are said to be on the horizon, but there's been very limited information about any specifics, which has people doubtful.

It's a shame because there was a very promising core game that was pretty fun to play even in it's rougher state, but myself and apparently a lot of other goons just got tired of nothing being added to the game and some stuff actually being made worse. I mean it's free to play, so it probably wouldn't be too bad to just check it out, but I'd really recommend against spending any money on it. I got a bunch of in game currency during their initial sign up period and I haven't even used half of what I got since then.

Guess the founder option I bought before I stopped playing somewhere during the beta because I can't remember why will be wasted. Shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

ActionZero posted:

Guess the founder option I bought before I stopped playing somewhere during the beta because I can't remember why will be wasted. Shame.

Could be worse- a few of us put the money down on the Project Phoenix pre-order. We've since gotten refunds due to pants-on-head syndrome.

That said, there is one thing :pgi: has done right, and you should totally pay the :10bux: to charity to get a robot- http://mwomercs.com/sarah

EDIT- vvvvv My new mission in life- build a giant spinning :pgi: made out of :pgi:'s

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 19, 2013

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

ActionZero posted:

I was just thinking of actually loading up MWO. What's the long story?

___:pgi:_______________:pgi:
____:pgi::pgi:_______:pgi::pgi:
________:pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi:
__________:pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi:
______________:pgi::pgi::pgi:
________________:pgi::pgi:
_______________:pgi:

(this took more effort and iteration than :pgi: puts into their weapon balance)

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 19, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
This isn't a discussion thread for MWO though.

If it were, I'd have to say that PGI is starting to make Adam Steiner seem competent and capable.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

E: Whoops, wrong Steiner. :downs:

anakha fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 19, 2013

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So I've been meaning to read this thread since last year, except that I've been too busy dealing with podcasting about MWO for the goon effort. I may catch up before it ends! I may not. I certainly will catch up with the thread before Spirit Armor finishes his LP.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

The Protectorate Militia, no. The Shadow Divisions used NBC Warfare as a "force multiplier" in their standard operating procedures.

Yes, and given that the Militia outnumbers the SD by a lot, I would imagine you'd be fighting mostly them, with maybe a few missions late game against MD SD pilots. I'm just saying it's not as cut and dry a "This wouldn't be fun or entertaining" thing as you make it out to be.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Shoeless posted:

Yes, and given that the Militia outnumbers the SD by a lot, I would imagine you'd be fighting mostly them, with maybe a few missions late game against MD SD pilots. I'm just saying it's not as cut and dry a "This wouldn't be fun or entertaining" thing as you make it out to be.

Most of the fighting until the very end of the Jihad was against WoB Divisions, not Militia. By the point that the Protectorate Militia started seeing real action, it's all huge multi-regimental battles and WarShip fights.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the Taurians were pretty well trained but had crap equipment and no way to trade space for time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, that was a nice, standard lake and river tileset combo (vets may even recognize it, since it's based on two standard mapsheets).

In other news? I'm almost done with the maps.

Actually, lets make this interesting: the first person who can identify the MAP PACK one of the upcoming maps was based on gets to pick a member of the OpForce (that fits the parameters for the mission).

Allen Wren posted:

So I've been meaning to read this thread since last year, except that I've been too busy dealing with podcasting about MWO for the goon effort. I may catch up before it ends! I may not. I certainly will catch up with the thread before Spirit Armor finishes his LP.

I'll be doing some cleanup on some of the middle missions once I get the ball rolling on the next scenario. One of my pre-LPIX hosts is deleting everything since it's getting pretty old now.

Want me to add you to the pilot list? It'll probably be your turn by the time you get caught up.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 19, 2013

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, that was a nice, standard lake and river tileset combo (vets may even recognize it, since it's based on two standard mapsheets).

Now the lake is a crater.

In other news? I'm almost done with the maps.

I'll be doing some cleanup on some of the middle missions once I get the ball rolling on the next scenario. One of my pre-LPIX hosts is deleting everything since it's getting pretty old now.

Want me to add you to the pilot list? It'll probably be your turn by the time you get caught up.

Is it glowing? :colbert: It better be glowing so much we think it is Ghost Omega Round 2 time.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

-Troika- posted:

I thought the Taurians were pretty well trained but had crap equipment and no way to trade space for time.

Well, they used to be better than the MoC, but the MoC is basically part of the CapCon now. They're still better than the OWA's army, but the OWA makes up for its lovely army with the best ASF pilots there are and the best flight academy in known space. And their troops are worse trained than any of the five Great House armies, of course.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, they used to be better than the MoC, but the MoC is basically part of the CapCon now. They're still better than the OWA's army, but the OWA makes up for its lovely army with the best ASF pilots there are and the best flight academy in known space. And their troops are worse trained than any of the five Great House armies, of course.

Also their money is called the "bull" and I can't see how anyone would ever respect someone whose money is called the bull.

I just completes itself, like BPOS.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sure!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Hmmm, I guess the Taurian part of the Sarna wiki is slanted.
Still, as long as the TDF hopefully gets through this particular war without losing most of its members (that could even happen while winning), it can learn from it!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Could you add me as well? I think my request during your trip slipped by unnoticed. I have PMs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ah, yeah, if you put it in while I was out of town I almost certainly missed it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ah, yeah, if you put it in while I was out of town I almost certainly missed it.

Me as well, then. I have PMs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Combat Theater Vote 13 Results

- The Sirdar DNS Militia have been pushed to the limit, past the point of no return. Now they just have to win it. (45 votes)
- The Vendetta is compelling, but the Taurian Concordat’s Davey Crockett Infantry can’t score a convincing win with (37 votes)
- People are curious about reports of fighting in the deep periphery but for the UCDF can’t hope to hold off the Reichhansa for long (6 votes)
- Vandelay’s Valkyries go hunting for pirates, but find only a few handfuls of dust and (3 votes)
- Lady Death Travalane’s Death’s Consorts struggle to seize control of a youth scout troop during phase one of their plan to conquer the Pirate’s Haven (1 vote)
- Bannockburn’s Bandits vanish without a trace not long after deployment. No one mourns their loss. (0 votes)

Commander William Osei sat hunched on a stump, and rested his head in his hands. His stomach was empty but he still wanted to throw up—as though the physical action could expel some of the cold dread that was busy curdling his insides. Thirty-six `Mechs, reduced to a mere nine in the span of two hours. The enemy hadn’t even made landfall yet. He didn’t even want to think about the fates of the technical crews, only the men and women serving with India lance had survived the nuclear bombardment, and only because third company’s scouts had been setting up the very supply depot the tattered remains of Osei’s command was now taking full advantage of. A sharp burning pain lanced through his shoulder. He winced, but didn’t jump at the unexpectedness of it.

“That will help with the radiation sickness,” A cool voice said, nearly all trace of compassion pushed aside by clinical precision. A woman in her early thirties leaned over to stare Osei in the eyes, her pronounced epicanthic folds and wheat-colored skin betrayed Capellan origins. In the Duchy of New Syrtis, that practically made her a second-class citizen. She’d volunteered for military service, but even still Commander Osei knew she’d been treated poorly and delighted taking a small measure of vengeance in return. Osei’s veins began to burn as the shot took effect.

“It will weaken your capillaries,” she warned. “I cannot give you a second dose for at least six months. You and your lance got the worst of it, I’m afraid.”

“I beg to differ, Doctor Chang,” Osei grunted. He stood slowly, rising head and shoulders above her though she was hardly a small woman. He slouched slightly, trying to bring his eyes more even with her own. If she noticed, she said nothing. Her lower lip quivered silently for a moment.

“I can’t believe the Capellans would—”

“The Capellans had nothing to do with this, Doctor,” Osei interrupted. “This is worse.”

And it was. With two Capellan dropships annihilated and a third shot-down while attempting a nearly suicidal seven-gee deceleration, the invasion force the Sirdar Militia had been prepping for had simply evaporated. They might have celebrated, had their savior not launched a concerted attack—first against ComStar’s HPG, then against the planet’s three military reservations. The bulk of the Sirdar Militia had been wiped out in an instant. Only Osei’s position on a wide-ranging patrol had saved him, and he’d still lost a `Mech to the blast.

Second company was down to two effectives: Delta lance had been on training maneuvers away from the base; but the slower, heavier `Mechs had been caught in the open and destroyed by Aerospace fighters. Only third company had come through alright, if taking two-thirds casualties was a person’s definition of alright. India Recon Lance had been deep in the woods, and had been completely overlooked by the invaders. His only consolation was that the semi-isolated reservations were far enough from the planet’s major cities that any hot zones could be evacuated before too many civilians died. Which left Osei with nine `Mechs to fight off whatever the enemy chose to hit him with. He looked up at his Thunderbolt, and wondered if it would be enough.

“No,” Dr. Sandra Chang growled.

“We need to search for survivors, and recover any supplies we can. And the Capellans: one of their dropships crashed—we need to search their ship. There may be survivors.” At this point, I’ll take anything I can get, Osei added mentally, and to hell with Duke Hasek.

“You can’t pilot again for forty-eight hours. Doctor’s orders.” Emphasizing her point, she twisted to let the patchy light shine from the Major’s insignia on her collar. She spoke with the benefit of real rank, though she’d never before led a combat unit. “I can give your men shots if they get too hot; you and your lance I can’t. And you’ll be anemic for the next day and a half, so I’ll be keeping you all under observation. Understood?”

“Understood, sir,” Osei grunted. “But I will be sending out Delta and India. At the very least, spreading out a bit will make us harder to nuke again.”

Chang only shuddered in reply.

India Scout Lance, "The Last Report," Sirdar DNS Militia
9) WTC-4M Watchman – Lt. Dorian Bellard (4/5) – Carbolic
10) BJ-3 Blackjack – Sgt. Peter Sommers (4/5) – Soylent Pudding
11) RVN-4X Raven – Sgt. Troy Laguerre (4/5) – Red_October_7000
12) FRB-2E Firebee – SgtMaj. Anne Bellard (4/5) – Tiny

Delta Battle Lance, "The Avenging Angels," Sirdar DNS Militia
2) GRF-2N Griffin – Sgt. Fynn Weber (4/5) – Ferrosol
9) END-6Q Enfield – SgtMaj. Reliance Mao (4/5) – Blister

Capellan Survivors?
7) HUR-WO-R4L Huron Warrior – 军士 Otaktay Red Cloud (4/5) – Olothreutes
4) WVR-7K Wolverine – 军士 Anong Kamkong (4/5) – DarthXaos

Reserve Pilots
Innerguard, Treuan, Picard Day, Wales Grey

India Scout Lance Primary Objectives:
Survive (incomplete)
Defeat Taurian Forces (incomplete)

India Scout Lance Secondary Objectives:
Defend the Fallout Bunker (incomplete)
Rescue Survivors (incomplete)

Delta Battle Lance Primary Objectives:
Survive (incomplete)
Rescue Capellan Survivors (incomplete)

Delta Scout Lance Secondary Objectives:
Destroy the Capellan Survivors* (incomplete)

Capellan Survivors Primary Objectives:
Survive (incomplete)
Link up with the New Syrtis Rescue Party (incomplete)

Capellan Survivors Secondary Objectives:
Destroy the New Syrtis Rescue Party* (incomplete)

*mutually exclusive with matching primary objective

Unusual Conditions
Impact Point Zero
- Weak Electromagnetic Interference: all attacks suffer a +1 penalty to hit and a -1 penalty to the scatter table (for weapons which utilize cluster hits).

Yantai Reservation
- Toxic Atmosphere (Radiation): Cockpit breaches and life support hits result in instantaneous pilot casualties
- Hot Zone: +1 heat/turn

IMs/E-Mails will be sent to players and alternates soon.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 19, 2013

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Interesting... I don't see enough things glowing :colbert:

Very nice dropship map though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You can't see deadly radiation, man. What do you think this is, the movies?

Oh, and my offer stands: The first person who can identify which of the official BattleTech MAP PACKS inspired one of these two maps gets to pick a member of the OpForce.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 19, 2013

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Training maneuvers, hell, Delta was apparently recovering a lostech cache. That's solid combat power.

Oh, and a Free-bee. D'aww.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So it's two simultaneous battles?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's what the people voted for.

Updated the Capellans. I forgot the model numbers and you got 15 seconds of suspense. Win/Win!

Primary Objectives That Might Have Been
Nuke the Supply Convoy (forever incomplete)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 19, 2013

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
I have the sense we have not seen the end of WMDs in this campaign.

That's River Valley/Lake, but I have to find the flyer to know what Pack it was from. Balls.

e: Map Set 2.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 19, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Merry Marauder posted:

That's River Valley/Lake, but I have to find the flyer to know what Pack it was from. Balls.

e: Map Set 2.

You win!

VVV Now I get to find out whether you'll cripple my opforce or make the players hate you!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 19, 2013

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Achievement Unlocked: Feel Old

Ah, got the PM. That's fun.

e: sent!

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 19, 2013

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Waited a year and a half, but finally:
:psylon:Mechwarrior Online:psylon:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So, PTN, are you going to give the Taurians nuclear-tipped LRMs? :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
One of the alternates was unreachable, Raised by Hamsters is up as an alternate!

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

-Troika- posted:

So, PTN, are you going to give the Taurians nuclear-tipped LRMs? :v:

I'm getting flashbacks to Fatal Terrain... though I don't think that would work, even with BT 'science'.

Nuclear tipped Arrow-IV and Long Tom 'Atomic Annie' expys, on the other hand...

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Paingod556 posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to Fatal Terrain... though I don't think that would work, even with BT 'science'.

Nuclear tipped Arrow-IV and Long Tom 'Atomic Annie' expys, on the other hand...

The latter two do in fact exist - Davy Crockett warheads are tiny tactical nukes that are not only viable as Arrow IV and Long Tom rounds, but can even be used as an infantry support weapon (with a range of 1 whole kilometer!) - making them scariest and most suicidal foot platoon possible in Battletech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Fun fact: a foot platoon with a Davy Crockett and vibrokatanas can hit you with their vibrokatanas from a kilometer away (on the turn they fire their nuke)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Why isn't there a :battletech: yet? that just demands it. Are they riding the missile into melee?

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 19, 2013

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fun fact: a foot platoon with a Davy Crockett and vibrokatanas can hit you with their vibrokatanas from a kilometer away (on the turn they fire their nuke)

Just everybody duct tape your katanas to this here nuke, to make it more killy!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Something I've been curious about for long, do the votes affect the outcome of scenarios that don't win and see screen-time?

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 19, 2013

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Ooh Griffin 2N. That's actually better than I was expecting. Although looking at the firepower Team Syritan?? can bring to bear and what the capellans have it makes me wonder what the OpFor is packing.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 19, 2013

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Oh boy. We missed out on getting to nuke things to run around with a recon lance against a planetary assault force. Watch the OpFor inexplicably be two off duty cops in a rowboat instead of a vastly overpowering, well-armed enemy.

The crashed dropship is remarkably well drawn.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Zaodai posted:

Oh boy. We missed out on getting to nuke things to run around with a recon lance against a planetary assault force. Watch the OpFor inexplicably be two off duty cops in a rowboat instead of a vastly overpowering, well-armed enemy.

The crashed dropship is remarkably well drawn.

I think we've established the Taurians have trouble with "vastly overpowering" when they're not throwing nukes around, and since they're expecting a clean sweep why send in a whole lot of mechs into an environmentally dangerous area? Just send a landing party to confirm the job's done and move on to the next planet quick as you can, while the nuclear blitz strategy's still working - it's only their bad luck that a fair number of mechs actually survived.

Now, I don't know how exactly the New Syrtis Militia managing to defeat the landing party will turn into a win long term. Maybe just the delay while the Taurians marshal that overwhelming assault force will be enough of a delay for reinforcements to arrive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Picard Day posted:

The latter two do in fact exist - Davy Crockett warheads are tiny tactical nukes that are not only viable as Arrow IV and Long Tom rounds, but can even be used as an infantry support weapon (with a range of 1 whole kilometer!) - making them scariest and most suicidal foot platoon possible in Battletech.

Real ones had a range of ~2km and an effective radius of ~400m. So not completely suicidal, you just probably wouldn't be having any kids, or living past 60.

• Locked thread