Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Ah, whoops. That's why I shouldn't make posts right after I get off work. The Capellan Confederation is very much a Mandarin-speaking space-nation. And I say that, but pretty much everyone (except Romano Liao) speaks English all the time there.

The only BattleTech nation that are regularly referenced as speaking anything other than English are the Draconis Combine and the Rasalhague Republic. The latter doing so primarily to piss off the former.

Edit: Oh, and a note for the players. I'd like to update Wednesday and Sunday if possible; so if you could try to get your orders in by Tuesday and Saturday I'd really appreciate it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Mukaikubo posted:

When the monthly chats stopped/were stopped, that was kind of a red flag.

edit: Any takers to bet against Ben Rome getting the job if he wants it? I have to think he would be a leading candidate 'from within'.
He's been the assistant line dev for a while now, and I'd be happy to see what he could do, but I recall him commenting that most of his day-to-day time and income involves outside freelance writing work. It depends on how much CGL can pay him to be at the center of that poo poo hurricane. If any goon has only experienced the long-term fans on the MWO brown sea, know that those dense neophobic fuckheads are just the tip of the iceburg.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Actually, gwailo is a term pretty much exclusive to the Cantonese-speaking south of China. You don't hear it from northerners, we just use laowai.

EDIT: If you want the perjorative connotations use guizi (鬼子)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tarezax posted:

Actually, gwailo is a term pretty much exclusive to the Cantonese-speaking south of China. You don't hear it from northerners, we just use laowai.

Battletech novels have lied to me! :argh:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

DeepThrobble posted:

He's been the assistant line dev for a while now, and I'd be happy to see what he could do, but I recall him commenting that most of his day-to-day time and income involves outside freelance writing work. It depends on how much CGL can pay him to be at the center of that poo poo hurricane. If any goon has only experienced the long-term fans on the MWO brown sea, know that those dense neophobic fuckheads are just the tip of the iceburg.

Yeah, that is why I said if he wants it. I think he would do an excellent job, but the question is as you said whether CGL could make it worth his while to start driving the metaphorical golf cart around the metaphorical driving range with people shooting metaphorical hand grenades at him.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Rorahusky posted:

Having to deal with Dor-- I mean Dark Ages would burn anyone. WizKids really made a mess of things in the 3145 era and Catalyst has been hard at work trying to salvage what they could from it.

Yeah, I'm going to have completely disagree with this. Every single plot thread that Wizkids dropped Catalyst has continued. This misnomer that Wizkids completely screwed things up is false, and comes from a lack of knowledge of what happened while Wizkids was running things. The novel line for Dark Age created a solid foundation for the Era Report: 3145 to add on to, and the only thing that I can say that Catalyst created out of new cloth was;

- Wolf's Dragoons moving to Kuritan space to fight Davions.
- Clan Wolf stopping its invasion of the FWL and turning around to bite the Lyrans on the rear end.

Say what you will about the clix game, it took a couple of expansions to get its rules solidified, but it was fun as hell and probably pulled more people in the Battletech universe than anything else outside of the video games.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Another new thing that CGL did with the 3145 era was have the Nova Cats get Annihilated.

And I keep wondering how it's an us and them when it comes to the Dark Age. Weren't a lot of the fanpro and CGL writers working on MWDA too?

Holybat fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 27, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Holybat posted:

Another new thing that CGL did with the 3145 era was have the Nova Cats get Annihilated.

Well, between Wizkids having the Spirit Cats exist with a leader who "forsaw the end of his Clan" if they didn't get out of dodge, having the Nova Cats end up on reservations after the 2nd Dominion-Combine War, and running a 2007 Gencon event where the winner got to determine what side the Nova Cats joined onto for the upcoming Kuritan Civil War (it involved Omi Kurita), I'd say the Annihilation was coming, just that the totality was unforeseen.

For all the Nova Cat fans who refused to touch Dark Age material, it must have come as a shock, but the writing was on the wall that the Nova Cat's time in Kuritan space was limited.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 27, 2013

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I doubt "having two short stories and a BattleTech thread on SA" makes up for my complete lack of developer experience.

You're probably right, but if you'd actually be interested it never hurts to apply.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I also doubt they'd be interested in my "gently caress it, reboot everything and let's tell stories from the times that aren't a complete mess" approach.

I have 6/8 orders, I would very much like to do an update tomorrow so please try to get those in as quickly as possible!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You never know! Marvel has alt-universe canon, DC flirts with the idea every now and then, just point out the massive success of the Avengers franchise and how you can bring that award-winning billions of dollars of revenue to Battletech. Don't stop talking long enough to let them question the logic of this argument. Bam, job.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

PTN, I'll try to have something for you by late morning (EDT).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Tarezax posted:

I figured that was the case. I had never heard the Mandarin version of gwailo used before, laowai is indeed a lot more common in Mandarin. However, that term doesn't really have the negative connotations that gwailo does, being a more generic term for (western) foreigner.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I'm a mix living in Hong Kong, and it's largely been phased out. I expect the word (and Cantonese) won't survive, except perhaps as a shadow of itself, for another millennium.

... man, I can't wait to see if the Huron goes for scraping off the Cronus' face. I figure that has a roughly 12% chance of success, but it pretty much means being alphaed by at least three mechs.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 28, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

You never know! Marvel has alt-universe canon, DC flirts with the idea every now and then, just point out the massive success of the Avengers franchise and how you can bring that award-winning billions of dollars of revenue to Battletech. Don't stop talking long enough to let them question the logic of this argument. Bam, job.

Battletech: A.C.E.

aka Battletech: gently caress canonic development dates

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Readingaccount posted:

I'm a mix living in Hong Kong, and it's largely been phased out. I expect the word (and Cantonese) won't survive, except perhaps as a shadow of itself, for another millennium.

Really? I still hear it used a lot in the background when I go to Chinatown...

I had a family member recently return from a trip to Hong Kong and she said Cantonese as a dialect is still going pretty strong over there, not to mention in the Guangzhou and greater Pearl River Delta area. There are still rather large Cantonese speaking overseas Chinese communities; Manhattan Chinatown is the most prominent example I can think of, even though the Fujianese have started moving into a part of it in large numbers.

Of course, I understand that the dialect might well disappear in a number of centuries, as the mainland continues to push Mandarin to be used and migrants to the Guangzhou area start displacing or outnumbering native Cantonese speakers. Oh well.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
It's good to know Cantonese is still going strong abroad! :)
As for Hong Kong, yes, it's still dominant by far here, but Mandarin is slowly growing stronger both from immigrants (though that has been strictly curbed), official support and the economic growth of the mainland. It might be early to call out the smudged writing on the wall even with a timeline of a millenium (I expect the language will be significantly (but not critically) weakened within 200 years though), what I see is more and more people speaking both languages, foreigners based in Hong Kong learning Mandarin instead, and a small minority among the (recent (we're all immigrants a few gens back)) immigrants that only use Mandarin.
I'm actually ok with it, China will be the stronger for it, it just sucks to be on the losing side.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 28, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I blame it all on the Capellan Confederation just having a ton of planetary dialects. I'm sure there's probably at least one that speaks Mandarin-Khmer or Mandarin-Swahili.

I only got 6/8 orders, so there likely won't be an update today.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

I blame it all on the Capellan Confederation just having a ton of planetary dialects. I'm sure there's probably at least one that speaks Mandarin-Khmer or Mandarin-Swahili.

I only got 6/8 orders, so there likely won't be an update today.

Playerssss!!! :argh:

(For reals just doing something random and or dumb takes all of two seconds to tell PTN, vs doing nothing :| )

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 28, 2013

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Psion posted:

Marvel has alt-universe canon, DC flirts with the idea every now and then, just point out the massive success of the Avengers franchise and how you can bring that award-winning billions of dollars of revenue to Battletech. Don't stop talking long enough to let them question the logic of this argument. Bam, job.
Batman, Superman. Count the reboots. Spiderman. Star Trek. Transformers. Tomb Raider. Total Recall. Reboots mean franchise success. If you aren't rebooting, it means your IP isn't working for you hard enough. GTA and Final Fantasy reboot basically every game.

When was the last time you got excited about going to the theatre with your friends and watching Sarah Connor crush a Terminator head in an industrial press in slow-motion bullet-time with the latest CGI and lens flare effects? Never, because they didn't reboot it. Hey, how is the Terminator franchise doing now? Oh. Did they ever reboot Fifth Element? No, and how much money did Fifth Element make last month?

Reboots are where your audience gets to re-experience their favourite parts of your stories in the latest ever-improving technology - with 5.1 Surround Sound, in widescreen HD, while connected to social media, soon in fully immersive VR. Reboot early. Reboot often.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I like your style, Endomorphic. We just got PTN a lock on the most thankless job in the industry. I'm sure he's thrilled :v:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Zachary Quinto is going to make a great Janos Marik!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Only if he looks good with a shaved head and a purple eagle tattooed in the center of his forehead.

So what I'm saying is, get the guy who played Nero instead.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
No, he's too old, you need to get the kids in. Have making piloting a battlemech require you to be under 30 because of... neurological decay, yeah that'll work. Then your clans can invade with a big Logan's Run thing going on and your bunch of teenagers with attitude can fight to defend the parents and mentors they rely on to stop the loving & infighting wrecking their unit from the inside.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You know a Red Dawn scenario of a bunch of teenagers completely out of their depth living in the suburbs of Luthien as the Clans invade could be pretty drat awesome.
"They thought they were safe" - cue Clan Mechs Orbit-dropping as a backdrop to a nice suburban line of prefab houses (with chinese/japanese stylings) with a sci-fi capital city in the background.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

You know a Red Dawn scenario of a bunch of teenagers completely out of their depth living in the suburbs of Luthien as the Clans invade could be pretty drat awesome.
"They thought they were safe" - cue Clan Mechs Orbit-dropping as a backdrop to a nice suburban line of prefab houses (with chinese/japanese stylings) with a sci-fi capital city in the background.

This is the successful follow-up to Hogarth's Heroes where Andrew Steiner gets trapped on a world invaded by the clans and rallies the local inhabitants to fight them off while holding out for help from his younger brother Hogarth bringing a elite commando team from Tharkad.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Readingaccount posted:

It's good to know Cantonese is still going strong abroad! :)
As for Hong Kong, yes, it's still dominant by far here, but Mandarin is slowly growing stronger both from immigrants (though that has been strictly curbed), official support and the economic growth of the mainland. It might be early to call out the smudged writing on the wall even with a timeline of a millenium (I expect the language will be significantly (but not critically) weakened within 200 years though), what I see is more and more people speaking both languages, foreigners based in Hong Kong learning Mandarin instead, and a small minority among the (recent (we're all immigrants a few gens back)) immigrants that only use Mandarin.
I'm actually ok with it, China will be the stronger for it, it just sucks to be on the losing side.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. I'm sure Cantonese will continue to survive in some fashion for a number of decades, at least until Hong Kong is completely integrated and subsumed back into mainland China and some of the overseas Chinese communities start to assimilate into their host countries as new generations are born, but I still feel bad in seeing the dialect I speak in decline.

Nice to see the Hong Kong perspective on the use of Cantonese as well...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 29, 2013

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Endomorphic posted:

Batman, Superman. Count the reboots. Spiderman. Star Trek. Transformers. Tomb Raider. Total Recall. Reboots mean franchise success. If you aren't rebooting, it means your IP isn't working for you hard enough. GTA and Final Fantasy reboot basically every game.

When was the last time you got excited about going to the theatre with your friends and watching Sarah Connor crush a Terminator head in an industrial press in slow-motion bullet-time with the latest CGI and lens flare effects? Never, because they didn't reboot it. Hey, how is the Terminator franchise doing now? Oh. Did they ever reboot Fifth Element? No, and how much money did Fifth Element make last month?

Reboots are where your audience gets to re-experience their favourite parts of your stories in the latest ever-improving technology - with 5.1 Surround Sound, in widescreen HD, while connected to social media, soon in fully immersive VR. Reboot early. Reboot often.

You forget, they need to reboot ReBoot.

But yeah a Battletech reboot would be nice. It would get it out of the 90's scifi themes and let us ignore some of the more terrible characters.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Quornes posted:

It would get it out of the 90's scifi themes and let us ignore some of the more terrible characters.

So you want to remove the best parts of it? (also its 80s scifi you monster).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Still missing orders from Red October. Maybe he's depressed that I gave him a Raven -4X?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Still missing orders from Red October. Maybe he's depressed that I gave him a Raven -4X?

Maybe he expects you to come hunting for him. :v:

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Quornes posted:

But yeah a Battletech reboot would be nice. It would get it out of the 90's scifi themes and let us ignore some of the more terrible characters.

Also they should get some better graphic designers and miniatures. I picked up a bunch of Battletech stuff at Gen Con and a couple of my friends who paint a lot of miniatures were shocked at how crummy the models were in comparison to some of the other manufacturers, and though I want to just play the game itself I feel the same. There's no attempt to even try and have the mechs sized properly in comparison to each other and the range of quality is pretty wide from what seemed to be the only vendor, Iron Wind.

Hopefully they can make some kind of deal with PGI to use a few of MWO's designs for future projects.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sorry, got off an 11-hour shift which was much busier than I expected, during which time I expected to be able to formulate orders. Gimme a minute or two here...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

I figured that was the case. I had never heard the Mandarin version of gwailo used before, laowai is indeed a lot more common in Mandarin. However, that term doesn't really have the negative connotations that gwailo does, being a more generic term for (western) foreigner.

Dude, I don't need to know where the words come from, I just need to recognize the ones that mean I'm about to get jumped, so I should probably keep a hand on my sidearm.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Steel Will: Tactical Update 3

Combat Phase
Impact Point Zero
2) Griffin
- Fires ER PPC at Bobcat (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 EM Interference = 10): Rolled 7, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Bobcat (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 10): rolled 9, 6 missiles hit Left Torso (15/17 armor remains), Right Torso (15/17 armor remains), Left Arm (10/12 armor remains), Right Torso (13/17 armor remains), Right Leg (13/15 armor remains), Left Leg (13/15 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-6 at Bobcat (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 25 heat, sinks 22

3) Enfield
- Fires LB-10X (slug) at Bobcat (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 EM Interference = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Bobcat (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 EM Interference - 2 Pulse Laser = 8): rolled 10, hit Left Torso (5/17 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Bobcat (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 EM Interference = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Bobcat (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 EM Interference = 10): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Small Laser at Bobcat (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 EM Interference = 14): automatic miss!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 22

7) Huron Warrior
- Fires ER Large Laser at Rifleman (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 10, hit Right Torso (5/15 armor remains)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Rifleman (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Rifleman (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 18 heat, sinks 17

4) Wolverine
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Rifleman (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference - 2 Pulse Laser = 6): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (2/22 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Rifleman (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference - 2 Pulse Laser = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser at Rifleman (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference - 2 Pulse Laser = 6): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Rifleman (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 8): rolled 11, 4 missiles hit Center Torso (0/22 armor remains), Center Torso (18/20 structure remains (crit!)), Center Torso (16/20 structure remains (crit!)), Right Torso (3/15 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-6 at Rifleman (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 8): rolled 9, 4 missiles hit Left Arm (13/15 armor remains), Right Leg (13/15 armor remains), Left Torso (13/15 armor remains), Center Torso (14/20 structure remains (crit!))!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 26

Talos II
- Torso Twists to threaten hex 0422!
- Fires Large Laser at Enfield (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at Enfield (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at Enfield (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at Enfield (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 11, 4 missiles hit Center Torso (22/26 armor remains)!
- Gains 14 weapon heat

Bobcat
- Fires Medium Laser at Enfield (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Enfield (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 10): rolled 10, hit Center Torso (17/26 armor remains)!
- Gains 6 weapon heat

Cronus
- Fires Medium Laser at Huron Warrior (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Arm (11/16 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Huron Warrior (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 7): rolled 10, hit Right Torso (16/21 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Huron Warrior (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 7): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (15/20 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-4 at Huron Warrior (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 7): rolled 7, 2 missiles hit Right Torso (14/21 armor remains), Center Torso (26/28 armor remains)!
- Gains 12 weapon heat

Rifleman
- Fires Autocannon/10 at Wolverine (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 8): rolled 10, hit Right Leg (16/26 armor remains)!
- Fires Autocannon/10 at Wolverine (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 8): rolled 9, hit Right Leg (6/26 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 12 weapon heat

:siren: Patton Rommel Heavy Tank! :siren:
- Fires Autocannon/20 at Huron Warrior (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 10): rolled 9, miss!
LRM-5 at Huron Warrior (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference + 2 minimum range = 10): rolled 8, miss!

Hunter Light Support Tank
- Target not in arc!

Yantai Reservation
9 Watchman
- Holds Fire!
- Gains 3 heat, sinks 12

10) Blackjack
- Holds Fire!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 20

11) Raven
- Holds Fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 12

12) Firebee
- Holds Fire!
- Gains 3 heat, sinks 10

Cicada
- Holds Fire!
- Gains 0 weapon heat

Phoenix
- Holds Fire!
- Gains 0 weapon heat

Toro
- Holds Fire!
- Gains 0 weapon heat

Quasit
- Holds Fire!
- Gains 0 weapon heat

Drillson Heavy Hovertank
- Holds Fire!

Plainsman Hovertank
- Holds Fire!

End Phase:
4) Wolverine
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 1 massive damage = 6): rolled 9, succeeds!

Bobcat
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 1 massive damage = 6): rolled 8, succeeds!

Rifleman
- Critical Chance in Center Torso! No critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 1 massive damage = 6): rolled 5, fails!
- - Must pass a piloting test to avoid pilot damage (5 base + 1 massive damage + 1 avoiding pilot damage = 7): rolled 8, succeeds!
- - Suffers damage to Right Torso (0/15 armor, 12/14 structure remains (Crit!)), Right Arm (14/15 armor remains) in the fall!
- Critical Chance in Right Torso! No critical hits sustained!

Physical Combat Phase:
Huron Warrior
- Kicks Cronus (5 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 kick = 6): rolled 6, hit Center Torso (16/28 armor remains)!

Wolverine
- Target too low to kick!

Cronus
- Punches Huron Warrior with Left Arm (5 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit Left Leg (15/20 armor remains)!

End Phase:
Cronus
- Must pass a piloting test (5 base + 0 kicked = 5): rolled 7, succeeds!

“This is the best the Taurians have? I’m not impressed. No wonder they nuked us first.”

“God drat it, Fynn,” Reliance grumbled. Of course her lance’s only other survivor had been Fynn Weber, the man who’d cracked jokes at his own mother’s funeral. She wasn’t sure if he did it to relieve stress or if he was just crazy. Right now, she didn’t much care.

“They killed Max. They killed Jamie. They killed the Major,” An angular Taurian `Mech design she’d never seen before froze for an instant as she transfixed it with her Large Pulse Laser. It’s strange head turned to regard her for a few moments before discharging a beam of coherent light that set angry orange gobbets of molten armor flowing down the center of her `Mech’s chest. “They killed thousands of dumb civvies, and now they’re trying to kill us; and you’re cracking loving jokes! Why can’t you just get angry like normal people?!”

“You don’t understand me at all, Rel,” A bout of static interrupted Fynn’s reply with a high-pitched metallic shriek as his Griffin launched a full flight of SRMs, “—pissed. Believe me, I am. We should be over there, fighting that new Capellan `Mech; instead we’re loving saving it! It’s like the whole universe is making jokes at our expense. Well, the only thing to do when you’re the butt of a joke is to joke back. And maybe after, the universe’ll be kind enough to let me shoot some damned Capellans.”

“Troy, it looks like we’ve got a fight on our hands after all,” Dorian Bellard paused for a brief moment, then made a command decision. “The scans can wait, come join us—but be careful about the muck.” Although his words of caution were probably unnecessary, he felt compelled to elaborate. “It doesn’t look bad but I’d bet on it being shin deep. The last thing we need is for anyone to get bogged down in the lakebed.”

“Move fast or die,” Peter Sommers confirmed, a touch of irony in his voice. The man had been a Locust pilot until just recently; but as across-the-board useful as the Duke’s free refit offer had been; there hadn’t been a lighter `Mech available. To hear Sommers talk about it, his new Blackjack was a fat, lumbering pig less graceful than an Archer and slower than an Atlas. Dorian thought it was a good, solid design. Just a touch slow for a scout lance.

“Bogged down in a bog. That was an awful pun,” his wife teased over their private channel as her little Firebee flew through the air on jets of plasma. It touched down gracefully on the far bank; its pistol-like Large Laser up and threatening. He shook his head, and leapt into the plume of smoke that still lingered over what had once been—and would eventually again be—the island in the center of Yantai Lake. It’d been scoured of life, scorched to bare, glassy earth. The human cost of the Taurian nuclear strike had been high enough already but Dorian knew water from the lake fed into one of the continent’s main tributaries. Would Horsham’s main population centers be impacted by tainted water?

Did radiation even work that way?

He filed those thoughts away, intending to ask Doc Chang later. For now? He had a fight to win.

India Recon Lance “The Last Report” Primary Objectives:
- Survive (incomplete)
- Defeat Taurian Forces (incomplete)

India Recon Lance “The Last Report” Secondary Objectives:
- Defend the Fallout Bunker Entrance (incomplete)
- Use the Raven’s equipment to confirm the condition of the six bunkers and the number (if any) of the survivors (1/6)

Delta Battle Lance “The Avenging Angels” Primary Objectives:
- Survive (incomplete)
- Rescue Capellan Survivors (incomplete)

Delta Battle Lance “The Avenging Angels” Secondary Objectives:
- Destroy the Capellan Survivors* (incomplete)

2nd Lance, 1st Company, 3rd Chesterton Voltigeurs Primary Objectives:
- Survive (incomplete)
- Link up with the New Syrtis Rescue Party (incomplete)

2nd Lance, 1st Company, 3rd Chesterton Voltigeurs Primary Objectives:
- Destroy the New Syrtis Rescue Party* (incomplete)

Point Zero Enemy Movement Mods:
- Talos II – Ran +2
- Bobcat – Jumped +3
- Cronus – Walked +1
- Rifleman – Walked +1
- Hunter – Cruised +1
- Patton – Flanked +1

Yantai Reservation Enemy Movement Mods:
- Cicada – Jumped +4
- Phoenix – Jumped +3
- Toro – Ran +2
- Quasit II – Ran +2
- Drillson – Cruised +3
- Plainsman – Cruised +3

Player Status:

Enemy Status:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

India Recon Lance “The Last Report” Primary Objectives:
- Survive (incomplete)

India Recon Lance “The Last Report” Secondary Objectives:
- Defend the Fallout Bunker Entrance (incomplete)
- Use the Raven’s equipment to confirm the condition of the six bunkers and the number (if any) of the survivors (1/6)

Question: Considering the Raven would have plenty of time to check the bunkers once the shooting stops, would you consider the second secondary objective to be complete if the recon lance succeeds at the primaries and the Raven is still standing?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
This is why I love that Wolverine so much. It is just loving brutal when it gets close.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Why the Patton -> Rommel switch?

Also, it doesn't affect the fire, but your TH calculations for the Griffin's SRMs look wrong and should both be misses. Unless only the ER PPC gets the partial cover +1?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rivensteel posted:

Why the Patton -> Rommel switch?

Also, it doesn't affect the fire, but your TH calculations for the Griffin's SRMs look wrong and should both be misses. Unless only the ER PPC gets the partial cover +1?

Presumably the Players mis-identified the tank until the AC fired. A Patton and a Rommel are basically identical except the former has an AC/10 and some LRMS while the latter has an AC/20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Pretty impressive shooting from the Wolverine; shame none of those crits confirmed.

Also, the Huron Warrior is not in a good place right now. :ohdear:

• Locked thread