Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Dolash posted:

Could also be relative to how challenging the environment is. Unstable, loose-stone canyons being harder to navigate than open roads and fields.

This is Battletech. Open roads and pavement in general are a death sentence to fast mechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Cars also become uncontrollable on pavement when they travel at more than 45 kph.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well, they are 80s american cars.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They probably weigh 8 tons and have caliper brakes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also they were designed and manufactured 200 years ago on a planet with different gravity and atmosphere.

e. and it costs a quarter million c-bills a year for maintenance because automotive technology is lostech

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Clan cars are half the size and go twice as fast

Which implies all the clans are driving smartcars

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
No, it doesn't. The twice as fast part is a dead giveaway - you ever driven one? I have.

A Prius, now ... maybe. Smart? Hah, no. Not at all.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Clan Angry Go-Kart.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

AJ_Impy posted:

Clan Angry Go-Kart.

That is a good name for the ice hellions.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

It is indeed a typo.

I took a few relaxation days and I can't work on updates at work. I'm not going to apologize for that, but it's coming (most likely today).

Ah. That makes the rampage much better. Also, you can take all the relaxation days you want, I don't think a single one of us will say otherwise. I'd say that it's a testament to your writing that we're all hooked enough to notice delays.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Olothreutes posted:

Ah. That makes the rampage much better. Also, you can take all the relaxation days you want, I don't think a single one of us will say otherwise. I'd say that it's a testament to your writing that we're all hooked enough to notice delays.

Oh, yeah...I'm not sweating the delay at all. Not that I'm not excited for my turn...but waiting two years has taught me patience, for sure.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Should be my turn again in another three years or so.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

paragon1 posted:

Should be my turn again in another three years or so.

It's going to be like getting a membership to the Melbourne Cricket Club, sign your kid up when they're born and maybe they'll be able to start going before they die.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Combat Theater Vote Results

An aide, his face drawn and pale, bowed silently and held out a silver tray. Wordlessly, Melissa Steiner plucked a missive from the otherwise empty platter. The aide vanished in an elegant and composed rush, not wishing to disturb the deliberations further. Melissa paid him little mind as she opened the plain white envelope and took a moment to read the contents. When she finished, she wordlessly folded the missive and laid it on the table in front of her.

“My apologies for the interruption,” she bowed her head just enough that her guests might take notice before straightening again. Her guest’s retinue remained stone-faced and passive to a man, save one. Caesar Steiner was hardly the fat imbecile she remembered from her youth. He’d grown lean and strong in his time as a Clan—she could only assume prisoner. He’d adopted many of their mannerisms, but beneath that façade he still held himself with just a trace of the thoughtful defiance she remembered. As Archon-in-name-only she’d never had to deal with the man on a military level, but she still remembered Uncle Frederick’s occasional tirades about Caesar’s stubbornness. Caesar wasn’t brilliant but he had a sound military mind and often balked at orders that went against his strategic sensibilities. He wasn’t a tactical officer, but she knew Frederick Steiner had planned to elevate him to Colonel and beyond—a promotion that might have been actually earned rather than simply prompted by the family name and the constant nagging of Iris Steiner (although she remembered plenty of that as well).

From the way her guest listened intently to Caesar’s every whispered word, Melissa suspected he’d played more than a small part in slowing the Clan advance to buy Skye time to prepare—and that this very conference, bitter though the negotiations had left everyone—would not have come about without his subtle influence. Or not-so-subtle, if he’d inherited some of his mother’s nagging skills. His efforts were the reason Melissa hadn’t turned the Clans away. To her knowledge, they’d never once negotiated with anyone in their invasion corridor before. Attitudes had remained cold but peaceful up until the Clans—Clan Goliath Scorpion, if her guest was to be believed, although Melissa had her doubts—took Dalkeith and Port Moseby.

The invasion had led to bitter accusations by representatives from Alexandria, the capitol of the entire Virginia shire and without Melissa’s influence the already chilly negotiations would have completely fallen apart. Unlike Frederick Steiner, however, she wasn’t about to let her cousin’s heroic efforts to spare a part of the realm—her entire realm now—fall apart so easily. In the end her calm determination to hear out the Clan demands had won out, and negotiations had resumed. Only to be interrupted by an aide less than ten minutes in. Who knew how the Clanners would take that? Their culture was so alien, for all she knew the minor breach in propriety would be enough to see them back to their conquered territory and back on the war-path. It was frustrating and frightening to work so hard to get everyone in the same room together just to risk it all collapsing ten minutes in.

Her guest’s grim expression revealed little of her mood. Well, in for a c-bill, in for the whole treasury. There was no sense beating around the bush, if negotiations were going to completely fall apart it was better they did so now. Without letting her expression waver Melissa mastered herself and continued.

Khan Moffat,” the members of her guest’s contingent winced or glowered. It was too late for Melissa to stop, “I’ve read through your kind proposal, but I have a few key concerns. While I applaud your goal and believe wholeheartedly not only that the Star League should be restored but that it must be restored, some of your terminology remains alien. I cannot agree to a proposal I don’t fully understand: especially the following line.”

She paused, then quoted, “That the people of Skye will acknowledge the superiority of the True Born.”

“You go on to make several distinctions between the True Born and what you dub the ‘Free Born,’ but these terms are meaningless to me. What’s more, I cannot accept any terms in which the natural born citizens of Skye are made second-class citizens in our own nation. I contend that if you truly seek the restoration of the Star League—as your proposal claims—that we must be treated on equal terms with all the respect that entails. That means that ‘free born’ and ‘true born’ must have equal rights and protections in the Republic of Skye.”

saKhan Dusk Moffat shifted in her chair, leaning forward as though something Melissa had said had piqued her interest for the first time since the meetings had resumed. “That is not the way things are done among the Clans.”

“Nor do I demand that the Clans alter their culture,” Melissa pressed. “If the ‘true born’ are as superior as your documents say, then is it not true that they’ll rise to prominence a new Star League without any special rights or protections?”

Caesar Steiner leaned forward, about to whisper something in Dusk Moffat’s ear. She held up a hand to forestall him. “It is true,” she admitted, drawing a cough from the representative bearing an emblem of a coiled, striking cobra.

“What you say is true,” Moffat maintained. “I also must admit that the Freeborn can be surprisingly useful. I see no harm in letting them compete on even terms. After all, Clan society is built on competition, so to deny that competition may well be a direct attack on Kerensky’s vision in whole. However, I also contend that respect has to be earned. The Clans of Task Force Serpent are already risking much even negotiating with you. Negotiation is not the Clan way and to us you and your nation are untried and untested. To simply grant you respect you have not earned will not still well with my people. The Clans respect strength. Perhaps,” Moffat sounded dubious, “we can arrange for a series of trials, pitting our champions against your own?”

Melissa leaned forward, her eyes clear and focused, meeting Dusk Moffat’s as though her gaze was guided by a targeting computer with a solid lock. “The people of Skye won’t accept trial-by-combat as the primary means of managing disputes or earning respect. With respect, we don’t care how well the Clans can fight us so a combat trial to prove your technology is better than ours will do nothing but increase the animosity our people feel towards you and yours.”

“Respect must be mutual. If you have no desire to earn Skye’s respect than further negotiation is pointless—but if you truly do wish to form a new Star League then the people of Skye need to know that you’re capable of fighting for Skye’s interests.” She flicked the missive Dusk’s direction, and was unsurprised when the Clan warrior caught it with an effortless grace. The woman moved well, Melissa had to admit.

The woman read the note and quirked a brow. “I gather you propose to rescue this Carlos Marik? Tell me: how could rescuing the son of the Captain-General of the Free Worlds League possibly be a Skye interest?”

“Of all the Great Houses, House Marik is the most likely to join—or at least support—a new Star League. Duncan Marik is a practical man, but his nation has been ravaged by the Capellan Confederation in recent years. They’re by no means weak, but they are disorganized and are only now pushing back in earnest. But if Carlos Marik dies or worse, is captured by the Capellan Confederation, that puts the League’s succession in question. A reborn Star League will gain no support from a realm locked in a Civil War, and I have no doubt that the Star League will need the Free Worlders if we’re to have any hope of resisting Hanse Davion.”

Dusk perked again at Melissa’s use of the word ‘we,’ but her expression was so alien Melissa had little idea what impact her words had. She continued regardless. “For all the Clans’ technological might, I hear your invasion has been all-but halted by the combined might of the Draconis Combine and Federated Suns. They are the strongest military power in the Inner Sphere and I have no doubt that only pressure from all the remaining Great Houses combined will bring Hanse Davion to a table as we are now. I do not believe that man would have any qualms about invading a nascent Star League. Simply securing the bulk of the manufacturing centers surrounding Terra would be a prize Hanse Davion could hardly resist.”

Melissa let that sink in, then added. “Second, I owe Duncan Marik for releasing my Marshall of the Armies,” Melissa nodded at her double, Jeana Clay. “This will require a little explanation: while I was still trapped in my Uncle, Frederick’s power, Jeana posed as a pirate, the Red Corsair—an alias of my Mother that Frederick would have been well aware of. Unsure whether he held the real me or whether I was the Red Corsair, Frederick was paralyzed with indecision and never acted—the fact that I was trained as an infantryman rather than a Mechwarrior should have tipped him off—but his paralysis enabled my eventual escape and Skye’s secession.”

She waved her hand dramatically in Jeana’s direction. “That deception might not have been possible. Jeana and the forces posing as the Red Corsair’s pirate band were captured in the Free Worlds League. If Duncan Marik hadn’t chosen to release them, it’s likely I’d be dead now and this negotiation could never have occurred at all.”

Dusk’s expression soured, “Politics leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. But the Clans respect those who honor their honor debts. Also,” the Clan leader paused momentarily, perhaps working out what she wanted to say next. “I am surprised to learn you were a soldier. You speak with all the fire of a warrior, but I admit I have fewer misgivings now that I know you are one.”

“Even the Archon-designate isn’t exempt from the Lyran Commonwealth’s mandatory conscription laws,” Melissa explained. “Every adult man and woman in Skye—in the Lyran Commonwealth as a whole—is or has been a ‘warrior.’ We all stand ready to fight for our homes if need be, even if most, like me, find themselves ill-suited to combat. There are other ‘battlefields’ in which I excel.”

“I can see that,” Dusk snorted, a hint of amusement creeping into her voice. Melissa took that as a small victory. “And I understand your proposal. A joint rescue operation would let us test one another, albeit indirectly.” Dusk turned, affixing Jeana Clay with her emerald green eyes. “I gather the ‘Red Corsair’ needs must put in a personal appearance?”

The Red Corsair won hands down with 48 votes, more than every other option combined!

Mackenzie Bethe—the man known “publically” as Xuan Wu—wasn’t physically impressive. He didn’t loom over his subordinates nor did he appear to be of any particular note in his jade-green labcoat. Nonetheless, the men and women around him showed the small, mousy man a level of respect he’d never seen among the Clans. Bethe had earned his ‘science name’ over a decade before, and in the years since had proved himself the preeminent particle physicist among the Clans as a whole. He’d been taken as abtakha by the Death Commandos—mistaken as just another Clan technician. It was only upon their return to Sian that he’d chosen to reveal his value—to Director Justin Xiang and Xiang alone.

With the Hell’s Horses he’d been responsible for a prototype weapon, a Plasma cannon able to fire a jet of superheated plasma over five-hundred meters long. Although not directly dangerous to BattleMechs, it was a devastating weapon when turned against vehicles and even armored infantrymen. Although it could prove highly erratic, the prototype he’d worked on was even capable of completely melting a suit of elemental armor.

He’d applied that research to develop a new weapon for the Capellan Confederation, a hybrid of his Plasma Cannon and a Gauss Rifle able to deliver a superheated slug of plasma with a dense metallic core against targets up to four-hundred and fifty meters away. Although it was a crude weapon by his own estimations, Director Xiang had been so impressed that he’d supplied Mackenzie with a nearly unlimited budget and blanket permission to conscript nearly anyone he considered useful enough to further his research. Bethe—“Xuan Wu” now—alongside two other captured Clan scientists had formed the core of a new Society. Although they’d been busy in the six months since their ‘adoption’ by the Confederation, the respect they were shown and the freedom they were granted to pursue any field of research they chose had won them over instantaneously. And if most of the Society’s current studies were devoted to developing weapons for the Confederation, well, it was only natural to defend themselves and secure their place, was it not? The Clans had always treated Xuan Wu as expendable—to the Capellan Confederation, well, Xuan Wu intended to become as irreplaceable as Director Xiang, or even the Chancellor herself.

An assistant bowed low as he approached. “Lama Xuan Wu, the Phoenix Project reports success. Their methodical aerial search pattern has spooked one of the Free World dropships.”

Xuan Wu smirked. “Like rabbits, these Free Worlders. They have no resolve.”

His assistant nodded, “Aerospace assets are already in close pursuit and the Tian Long reports they’ll be ready to deploy within ten minutes.”

“Excellent,” Xuan Wu clapped his hands together. “Nonetheless, continue plans for our departure. Abadan has served its purpose. Li Jing says the new facilities on Outreach will be complete by the time we arrive. Advise “Liu Bei” that the Phoenix Project is to follow us once they’ve finished their battlefield tests.”

Mackenzie didn’t even hear his assistant reply “At once, Lama Wu.” There was simply too much to do. How much precious time would be lost spending two months traveling to Outreach? Perhaps there would be some minor experiments he could run along the way.

Rise of the Phoenix

Map Conditions:
Intense Glare: All units standing on elevated terrain suffer a +2 penalty to all attacks. Attackers on low ground firing at a target on elevated terrain suffer a +1 penalty to attack.

Allied Unit List
Carlos’s Crusaders

The Red Corsair Pirates

OpForce Unit List
Project Phoenix

(I noticed some sprite issues. Some of the default sprites are actually reversed, as are some of mine. I fixed it)

Mechwarriors
Devorum
Dachshundofdoom
In like Zinn
Meinberg
shalafi4
VolticSurge
Baudin
fivetomidnight
Scintilla
TheParadigm

Alternates
Soup Inspector*
dis astranagant
Pooncha
ArbitraryTA
vuk83*
Kirenski
Shinarato*
(more may be called up as needed, I suspect we’re going to get a few passes due to travel plans)

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mother of god. :eyepop:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well that's an impressive lineup.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Delicious mechs.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I'm hyped! So, IIRC in the ptn-universe the Timber wolf is actually pretty rare, right? Or is it just the Widowmakers who have the, er, widowmaker?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Hahaha, Morgan Kell. Lovely.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Octatonic posted:

I'm hyped! So, IIRC in the ptn-universe the Timber wolf is actually pretty rare, right? Or is it just the Widowmakers who have the, er, widowmaker?

Timber Wolf is rare, since it's one of the early Omnis and the Widowmakers replaced it with a worse version.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

“Nor do I demand that the Clans alter their culture,” Melissa pressed. “If the ‘true born’ are as superior as your documents say, then is it not true that they’ll rise to prominence a new Star League without any special rights or protections?”

:boom:

This fluff update was fantastic and this lineup is looking fierce.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Oh gawd, those Marauders! :supaburn:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Bethe—“Xuan Wu” now—alongside two other captured Clan scientists had formed the core of a new Society.

:shittypop:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Incidently That mech caeser is in is so over sinked, he will still be neutral with 2 engine crits, and can afford to just tape down all the guns and focus on brutally crushing enemy mechs with that mace.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
This is going to be epic.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

AtomikKrab posted:

Incidently That mech caeser is in is so over sinked, he will still be neutral with 2 engine crits, and can afford to just tape down all the guns and focus on brutally crushing enemy mechs with that mace.

Obviously because it was designed to fight in Steiner fashion, in woods ablaze.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
That is an interesting piece of words.

Or, more concisely: :supaburn: :shittypop: :supaburn:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I can't wait to see the political fallout of a possible Lyran-Marik-Clan Star League and the seeds of The Society taking root.

Get the gently caress offworld, Xuan Wu. You're dead a thousand times over if those clanners catch wind of you and your existence should be so entertaining.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 19, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Holy mother of gently caress.

The potential of Skye, The Free Worlds League, and the Clans banding together in an alliance and potentially facing off against the Draconis Suns? A new Society within the Capellan Confederation? Melissa Steiner, Caesar Steiner, Carlos Marik, Phelan (?) Ward, and Morgan Kell all in one battle? Several years-old plot threads potentially coming together as one?

This is gonna be beautiful.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Woah.

Okay, let's unpack the political stuff first: The Red Corsair was actually a double-switch, maybe? Or maybe that's a bluff too? I don't know. Anyway Melissa is hoping to use this to create a counter-DS bloc involving the FWL and the Steel Vipers et. al., which is an interesting (and sensible) play. Of course, one imagines that the RWR could go a ways towards mucking about with that particular plan, though doing so could also help the LC-FWL bloc cement their relationship with the Clans, so who knows?

Anyway, scenario-wise; there's a decent group of mobile units with the TWolf, Wolverine, Guillotine and Thunderbolt. They form a fairly natural lance with which to use to harass any isolated Capellan mechs and to flank. The remaining 6 should also form a group and stay relatively close together and take advantage of the range mismatch where possible.

The key here will be making active use of those hills to mess with LOS. Ideally, you'll want to look for spots where you can line up the majority of Carlos's Crusaders/CSV/Red Corsair to fire on only between 1 to 3 OPFOR units, with the rest out of line of sight. In other words: use the hills to create mismatches in numbers on a turn-to-turn basis. If the OPFOR then goes for the high ground, 1. they'll be at an odds disadvantage due to the glare condition, and you can still stand next to the high elevations to block LOS in some scenarios, and therefore minimize how much fire is thrown at you at once.

It is likely that the OPFOR will attempt to do likewise in some instances since it's a fairly obvious tactic on this sort of map and PTN obviously knows what he's doing, so it'll be a matter of planning moves a couple turns out, staying disciplined, and taking opportunities when you can get them. If the Shadow Hawks try to flank/harass, pull back behind a hill, ignore the main body of the force, and hammer the SHDs as best you can. If they stay in formation, just look for spots where you can chip at a couple enemy units with most of your force without exposing yourself to the entire OPFOR at once. If you can stay patient and generate those kinds of opportunities you have a very good chance at a solid win.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Close, but your mom!

... Wait, no. His mom!

Phelan can't exist in the AU, since he can't be born without help of Wolf's Dragoons

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 19, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Close, but your mom!

... Wait, no. His mom!

Phelan can't exist in the AU, since he can't be born without help of Wolf's Dragoons

But does His mom have it going on?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Oh, man...so much pressure not to get Carlos killed! :ohdear:

This is going to be a brutal match...and we get more Caesar as a bonus!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There's just so many little details packed into this one update.

Xuan Yu is the ptn-verse equivalent of Etienne Balzac.

Morgan Kell has his Phantom `Mech ability.

There's an honest-to-goodness Mad Cat on the field.

The Society has invented something called VSPLNC3 that automatically turns them into ACEs.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Nice of the Clanners to lend the Corsair and Morgan some Clantech to level the competition somewhat, eh?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Merry Marauder posted:

Nice of the Clanners to lend the Corsair and Morgan some Clantech to level the competition somewhat, eh?

Morgan's just got Clan ammo.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Okay so for those of us who know little about Battletech outside the videogames and this thread, someone mind giving a bit of background on what the Society is? My initial guess is a technocratic revolutionary movement in the clans?

Also, is that command and control gear as scary as it looks at first glance? I mean it looks like it just flat makes 2/3 of all equipped mechs Ace.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Tran posted:

Okay so for those of us who know little about Battletech outside the videogames and this thread, someone mind giving a bit of background on what the Society is? My initial guess is a technocratic revolutionary movement in the clans?

Also, is that command and control gear as scary as it looks at first glance? I mean it looks like it just flat makes 2/3 of all equipped mechs Ace.

There may be issues with being a hub, like immobility or other problems since there is a standard mode.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Tran posted:

As it turns out, in the Clans, some Scientists actually dislike being under the complete and total control of meathead overbred Warriors, and formed a secret society to take back control of the clans. This involved an appalling amount of weapons research that never found its way into the clan militaries (you think normal clan bullshit is bad? Hah.) and a lot of biotech research- plagues targeted at specific trueborn bloodlines, mixing of warrior bloodlines willy-nilly across clans, that sort of shenanigans. During the Wars of Reaving they tried a massive uprising in the middle of what was effectively the clan civil war, helped kill off a LOT of bloodlines and warriors, and got exterminated for their troubles. Some Clans lost >75% of their Scientist caste to the cleanup. It was not pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Jade Falcons then killed the remaining 25% just in case.

• Locked thread