Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The closest thing they have to an MBT at the moment is the 50 ton Chalchiuhtotolin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I love that post-Jihad Jade Falcons mass-produce a tank whose name translates to "Jade Turkey" and I respect PTN for including it in this timeline

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Xarbala posted:

I love that post-Jihad Jade Falcons mass-produce a tank whose name translates to "Jade Turkey" and I respect PTN for including it in this timeline

I like to think someone told them it was an ancient word in the language of their people that mean brave strong cool warrior dude's tank. And then they just believed it, because they're stupid.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Perhaps they've never seen a picture or description of a turkey, but someone told them the great Benjamin Franklin, an ancient genius and warrior-prince of old Earth, wanted to make it his clan totem animal but the slow-thinking morons of his shortsighted clan instead picked the bald trash-bird. So they named their new tank the Jade Turkey in his honor.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They're going "all in" on mesoamerican imagery. The Smoke Jaguars' Jaguar Warrior was just the tip of the iceberg.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also PTN, if you don't think the game can handle the raw power of the immortal Gurtie, you could always have the Lyrans resurrect the Marsden II early. Maybe double MRM racks up front, LGR or AC/10 for the main gun.

17 TONS OF ARMOR.

60 TON TANK.

MARSDEN... THREEEEEE

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 18, 2018

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I've always had a fondness for the Patton and Rommel, particularly the latter since it was the tank you drove on the rescue mission in Crescent Hawk's Revenge. I played and replayed that mission like a dozen times until I managed to win with just the tanks...because I didn't realize until years later that you could capture a Marauder in the mission that made the rest of it trivially easy. :doh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

Talk me into redesigning your favorite (no promises (the Vedette is already in)).

Yellow Jacket!

Defiance Industries posted:

The Hawk Moth is a VTOL with a Light Gauss.

light gauss isn't the same :v:

the idea of "how can we strap a truly ludicrous weapon to a platform completely ill-equipped to handle recoil forces of that magnitude" is the kind of thinking that irritates players the world over when the GM sends in a squadron of Yellow Jackets on a strafing run

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Psion posted:

light gauss isn't the same :v:

Light Gauss or Heavy Gauss, take your pick because those are your options

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I always had a soft spot for the classic Behemoth, the original gently caress You I'm A Giant Tank of Battletech.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
J. Edgar. Come on. J. Edgar Hovertank. How can you not.

Edit: vvv Yeah Partisans are cool too. As are Huits (bonus, it sounds like the new Jade Falcons would love them).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 18, 2018

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
I've always been partial to the Partisan line of models, those multiple RACs are just so much fun and nothing makes a light mech shake like 20 AC2 rounds coming at you from a single vehicle.

scavy131 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 18, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Light LRM Carrier (5 LRM-5s NewTech LRM-1s) is a reasonably dangerous threat to light 'Mechs.

It also has ECM and Stealth Armor because why wouldn't it? I'm a jerk.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 18, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've always wondered about that actually, why not an LRM20 + an LRM5 or even an LRM10? I'd have thought doubling up on mid-sized missile racks would be less efficient than just getting a big rack to start with.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Because dice, I guess.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Hunter's already got the LRM-6, but the light LRM Carrier has much more longevity with only slightly less firepower (9 rounds of ammo (3 tons) vs. 18 rounds of ammo (5 tons)). The Light LRM Carrier is a harasser with five chances to hit a target per salvo rather than a sledgehammer with 1 chance.

Basically, they're both good now, but they're good for different things.

I made the LRM-5 good! :woop:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Holy crap. I finally caught up on the whole thread and it seems like at the right time.

This whole thread rules and it finally pushed me to start playing a little table top Battletech.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ptn I’m really swamped at work and after this next order I won’t be able to submit anything until next weekend at the earliest.

Do you want me to bow out or submit orders for the following turn as well?

I’m so slow I can do consecutive turns if you allow me to be semi vague?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'll allow it as long as it's not too over-the-top.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'll be submitting my orders tonight. I'm flying tomorrow, and will be in europe for the next two weeks; but every place we are staying has wifi, and our travel habit is usually to spend an hour or two every evening online catching up with stuff. So I intend to submit my orders by kindle and will let you guys know if anything comes up that makes that difficult.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm too cheap to afford HPG transmissions, so my orders will be submitted by hand written letter delivered by jump courier. Expect 3-7 months for delivery.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

I'm too cheap to afford HPG transmissions, so my orders will be submitted by hand written letter delivered by jump courier. Expect 3-7 months for delivery.

I feel like this would not cost less than one C-Bill to do

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

maybe he's got a very thorough list of contingencies

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You'd be amazed what you save when you don't have any guarantees on when it will arrive. I paid 27 Periphery Pesos to a janitor on one of the regularly scheduled outbound ships that shows up every few months to bring our planet a new load of shovels, and he's going to pass it along at random until a Jumpship arrives back to PTN with the orders.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'll allow it as long as it's not too over-the-top.

I’m going to continue swarming. But I may revise after this turn.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

You'd be amazed what you save when you don't have any guarantees on when it will arrive. I paid 27 Periphery Pesos to a janitor on one of the regularly scheduled outbound ships that shows up every few months to bring our planet a new load of shovels, and he's going to pass it along at random until a Jumpship arrives back to PTN with the orders.

That definitely sounds like an "if" rather than a "when" kind of guarantee.

But hey, half a kroner is a lot if you drive a loving POOR PERSON MECH

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Does a kick to a mech being swarmed have the same risk of hitting the swarmer as weapons fire?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A swarming unit is only vulnerable to friendly fire if shots hit the target in the torso.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Don't the Sins have a terrifying vibroclaw or something? The swarm attack seems really underwhelming.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

wiegieman posted:

Don't the Sins have a terrifying vibroclaw or something? The swarm attack seems really underwhelming.

It's not on their stat sheet. Even then, the point of swarm attacks is that they add up all the damage the whole squad could do and apply it to a single hit. 1 battle armor isn't that threatening, 4-6 of them crawling around on your center torso is a different matter entirely. In this case leg attacks do virtually the same damage and have an extra chance to hip the target.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PoptartsNinja posted:

A swarming unit is only vulnerable to friendly fire if shots hit the target in the torso.

Okay, thanks.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

wiegieman posted:

It still only adds 1 damage sadly, because there's only 1 unit in the swarm attack. If you want to see some real rad as hell Battle Armor action, (maybe re?) check out Ikuta Glacier https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&pagenumber=1790&perpage=40#post466952118

That mission was metal from the loving get go and had some great air dropped elemental on mech abusive action, because some of the players were controlling elemental points that hit for 25 or 30 every turn on a swarm attack.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Swarming is something you do as a full squad. A full level II of Anti Infantry Se'irim (2 Machine Guns, 1 Flamer, 1 APWM) with TSM + Dermal Armor can deal 8 damage per trooper, x 6, for a total of 48 damage to a single location, which often will hit rear torso armor or the head.

A single battle armor swarming is a bad idea, as I said. It's not worth it because the point of a swarm is to tear open cockpits or rear torso armor with concentrated damage, and if you're not capable of doing that, don't bother. Especially given that the enemy here is actually made of generally mediocre to bad pilots, leg attacks, which can easily render a mech combat-ineffective because it keeps tipping over at the slightest provocation, are a superior choice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Orders submitted:
L3-RWA-X Legion #6 Nephilim-2 - Rabbit Warren Turn #12 - Orders
Run to 1711 facing 1610, fire rHPPC + 2x AP Gauss at 1611. Kick 1611.

I won't be able to change these before PTN runs the turn on Saturday night, so this is set in stone. My next post will be from Paris, France!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

This must be some record for most number of pilots having trouble getting orders in due to work/travel

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Orders submitted:
L3-RWA-X Legion #6 Nephilim-2 - Rabbit Warren Turn #12 - Orders
Run to 1711 facing 1610, fire rHPPC + 2x AP Gauss at 1611. Kick 1611.

I won't be able to change these before PTN runs the turn on Saturday night, so this is set in stone. My next post will be from Paris, France!

Enjoy Paris! There's a great little place called Le Petit Cler on Rue Cler, great food and very affordable. It's pretty close to the Eiffel Tower as well.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, we got ~3 inches of rain in a 45 minute stretch (in a city that usually gets 3 total inches of rain in May). Long story short, my bedroom flooded.

I should have it all cleaned up by Sunday so it shouldn't impact my update schedule, but I'm giving an early FYI just in case. :saddowns:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Dude that fuckin sucks :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, we got ~3 inches of rain in a 45 minute stretch (in a city that usually gets 3 total inches of rain in May). Long story short, my bedroom flooded.

I should have it all cleaned up by Sunday so it shouldn't impact my update schedule, but I'm giving an early FYI just in case. :saddowns:

Next scenario better be water-based combat. Ships, mech torpedoes, swimming elementals. The works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
All the best with baling out, PTN. Orders submitted: If I'm lucky I might even get to shoot at a mech.

• Locked thread