Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Notgothic posted:

I always vote for the option containing an umlaut.

Such foolishness means volunteering for süïcïdë mïssïöns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mukaikubo posted:

Also, I think I will just leave this here too, also from the first post.

I am stroking my chin thoughtfully and eying Caesar the bondsman with a grin as I read these words.

I am just saying, is all.

:v:

They're also dumb enough to think Caesar's just going to work with them because they say so, and not sabotage or undermine them. Offering him power isn't going to work; he turned down being General of the Armies and Archon.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Defiance Industries posted:

Offering him power isn't going to work; he turned down being General of the Armies and Archon.

Judging strictly by the pictures of him I've seen, I think cutting off his beer and pretzel supply should be more than enough leverage to work him like a pump.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's the other thing: the Clans don't even produce luxury goods. All their liquor is Victory _______.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Veyrall posted:

Judging strictly by the pictures of him I've seen, I think cutting off his beer and pretzel supply should be more than enough leverage to work him like a pump.

Alternatively, Colonel Dusk could try working him like a pump.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Dolash posted:

Alternatively, Colonel Dusk could try working him like a pump.

I was going to make that joke, then thought better of it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

That's the other thing: the Clans don't even produce luxury goods. All their liquor is Victory _______.

Don't they drink that engine coolant like drink? Fusion something?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So earlier on, people were alluding to the Clans brainwashing outsiders whom they take as bondsmen or something to that effect... would anyone care to go into detail on that?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Felime posted:

I was going to make that joke, then thought better of it.

You do remember what forum you are posting on, yes? :v:

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Bad Moon posted:

I thought I remembered something about Freeborn clanners drinking some kind of moonshine. I think it was in the Jade Phoenix trilogy.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Bad Moon posted:

No Caesar! Don't drink the coolaidant!

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Xmas Future posted:

I thought I remembered something about Freeborn clanners drinking some kind of moonshine. I think it was in the Jade Phoenix trilogy.

Fusionnaires. I can't believe I know this.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

W.T. Fits posted:

So earlier on, people were alluding to the Clans brainwashing outsiders whom they take as bondsmen or something to that effect... would anyone care to go into detail on that?

The only example of it that I ever saw was Clan Wolf doing a number on Phelan Kell, and it basically consisted of "Look at how awesome our society is because the warriors rise to the top but there's so little collateral damage". The thing is, Phelan was pretty much tailor-made for that to work on him, and the Clan doing it was Clan Wolf, who are actually somewhat reasonable and had a pretty good idea of how the Inner Sphere worked.

None of the above applies to Clover or the Steel Vipers, so I have no idea how well it's going to work on them.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

W.T. Fits posted:

Well, if they were talking about what happened to Phelan Kell Wolf Ward Kell, it wasn't so much brainwashing as the Clan Wolf telling him "your stupidly reckless successes and randomly picking fist fights will not only be rewarded, but we will think you're totally badass." Then they had Phelan do the same thing to Ragnar Magnusson.

Plus Ulric Kerensky let Phelan bang his niece.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Yeah, the thing to remember is that by their very nature IS 'mech pilots (well, and everyone else) are freeborn, i.e. worth very little respect. There's not really any widescale attempts at brainwashing because of that - such bondsmen have worth as labourers and that's it. Those few IS pilots who'll switch sides willingly do so generally speaking because the idea is attractive to them for whatever reason, rather than purposeful standard attempts to convert.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Well, I was referring more to the weeks of mental torture that left Phelan completely broken and impressionable, even going so far as to have the Clans use pretty blatant good cop bad cop techniques, but... yeah, that works too! :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Yeah, Clan chemical interrogation is terrifying. They can drudge up pretty much any memory you have and force you to relive it over and over again. Phelan was remembering things he heard while he was still in his "mother's womb".

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If and only if C is assured to come around later, I'll switch my vote to D because it sounds interesting. But only if those terrorists aren't targetting clanners!

I suggest all you other C votes do the same so we have a chance against the A-tide.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Bad Moon posted:

The Fusionairre.

4.5 oz lemon juice
3 oz vodka
1.5 oz peppermint schnapps
1.5 oz lemonaide schnapps
1.5 oz rum

Serve chilled with ice.

In the old rec.games.mecha days, we created a list of Battletech related drinks. Available in PDF form here: http://tinyurl.com/4xa2vqy

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tempest_56 posted:

The Fusionairre.

It's still not as bad as the various versions of the PPC.

4 shots of white lightning (or any avaliable grain alcohol), cut with

Steiner: 2 shots of peppermint schnapps
Liao: 2 shots of plum wine
Davion: 2 shots of bourbon or tequila
Kurita: 2 shots of Sake ("or 'Mech coolant, whichever's handy")
Marik: 2 shots of Ouzo

I imagine you could also down a shot of paint thinner and get pretty much the same effect.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

4 shots of white lightning (or any avaliable grain alcohol), cut with

Steiner: 2 shots of peppermint schnapps
Liao: 2 shots of plum wine
Davion: 2 shots of bourbon or tequila
Kurita: 2 shots of Sake ("or 'Mech coolant, whichever's handy")
Marik: 2 shots of Ouzo

I imagine you could also down a shot of paint thinner and get pretty much the same effect.

Poptarts, I think you might have accidentally mixed your mixed drink recipes with your cleaning solutions recipes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Victor and his superfriends, by the by, only drink wine coolers and fruit-flavored vodka.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Victor and his superfriends, by the by, only drink wine coolers and fruit-flavored vodka.

Zima.

edit: What exactly do you have against citrus vodka? :|

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Smirnoff? Victor drinks Smirnoff?

I... oh god I need a drink just to get that out of my head.

edit: Gah! It is already effecting my typing skills.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Morgan Hasek-Davion only drinks the most exclusive of premium malt scotch... until Space Verizon poisons him :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bad Moon posted:

Morgan Hasek-Davion only drinks the most exclusive of premium malt scotch... until Space Verizon poisons him :v:

And nothing dulls the pain of having to deal with talking to Katherine Steiner-Davion like a straight-up shot of Irish Whiskey, according to Morgan Kell and Victor at any rate.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The PPC is a horrible, horrible drink. I once tried one on a dare in college (Davion variant, of course). Never again.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, Clan chemical interrogation is terrifying. They can drudge up pretty much any memory you have and force you to relive it over and over again. Phelan was remembering things he heard while he was still in his "mother's womb".

What?

I think BT needs to stick to its giant robots. Things just get silly when they try to write for anything else.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bad Moon posted:

Glengarry Black is midrange by Lyran standards, so yeah, top shelf for a Davion.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Rescuing Waterly is probably long term bad for my favourite telephone company, so gently caress her.

Vote: Option D - The one with umlats

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
C'mon lucky number... D
(Voting D)

I mean, seriously, you just can't go wrong with whatever Himinbjörg means!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Conveniently, Operation Himinbjörg translates literally to "Operation Gratuitous Umlaut".

It involves a raid on a Swedish language camp for underprivileged youth.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zaodai posted:

Conveniently, Operation Himinbjörg translates literally to "Operation Gratuitous Umlaut".

It involves a raid on a Swedish language camp for underprivileged youth.

Zaodai, stay away from the children. I mean it. They've done nothing to you, and you know it.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Zaodai, stay away from the children. I mean it. They've done nothing to you, and you know it.

Yet. Nothing yet. :ninja:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Voting will close in a few hours, so if there're any last-minute undecideds, now's your opportunity to tip the balance.

paragon1 posted:

Poptarts, I think you might have accidentally mixed your mixed drink recipes with your cleaning solutions recipes.

That's actually a quote from the Warrior trilogy. Those are accurate. Also, probably a quick rout to alcohol poisoning.

Another quote (from memory, I'm not looking it up), "It numbs the tongue. In another half-an-hour, the numbness will reach your brain and then you won't have to worry about how boring duke so-and-so is"

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 21, 2011

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Last second C vote! TIP THE SCALES.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Glengarry Black is midrange by Lyran standards, so yeah, top shelf for a Davion.

This is what will get Ceasar to turn. So horrified by the state of Clan distilleries, he is overcome by pity and vows to lead the Steel Vipers to the boozy promised land

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

paragon1 posted:

I voted for the ComGuard. Don't blame me if the blood of a bunch of kids end up on your hands. :colbert:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

So scenario C has us playing as the Goliath Scorpions right? That sounds neat, but we did just get a sound thrashing by some clanners.

Let's be ComGuard.

A

I hope we can revisit C later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
A. gently caress the clans. We will avenge the 2nd Donegal Guard!

• Locked thread