Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magni
Apr 29, 2009

radintorov posted:

Pretty much. Same thing with 'mech Stackpoling (fusion reactors exploding like nukes). Some aspects of BT tech are actually somewhat believable, but others just aren't. It was never meant to be an "hardcore science" game.

Funny thing is that Stackpoling is only an optional rule that is specifically noted to be unrealistic Hollywood science. Tech Manual even goes as far as delivering a canon piece that has a professor at NAIS mock the whole idea during a lecture and explaining exactly what would happen even if you completley breached an active fusion reactor. (Summary: You get a huge flame shooting out of the breach for a second or so and some lingering heat. That's all.)

Magni fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Magni posted:

Funny thing is that Stackpoling is only an optional rule that is specifically noted to be unrealistic Hollywood science. Tech Manual even goes as far as delivering a canon piece that has a professor at NAIS mock the whole idea during a lecture and explaining exactly what would happen even if you completley breahced an active fusion reactor. (Summary: You get a huge flame shooting out of the breach for a second or so and some lingering heat. That's all.)

Wait, are you saying MW3 lied to me?

Not possible.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nevets posted:

Oh god yes.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

raverrn posted:

Wait, are you saying MW3 lied to me?

Not possible.

Wasn't Mechwarrior 3 the one where 'Mechs didn't explode? You know, unlike all the other games, especially number four?

e: Oh yeah, they did Stackpole in a ridiculous mushroom cloud explosion if you overheated them! Flamer boats were ridiculous in the best way. :downs:

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 7, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A friend of mine half-killed me in a multiplayer game by sticking nothing but CERPPC on his Dire Wolf and stripping out everything that wasn't a PPC.

It fully-killed him.

Sadly he was on my team :smith:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nevets posted:

This is truly a great victory for Lyran engineering.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Octatonic posted:

Wasn't Mechwarrior 3 the one where 'Mechs didn't explode? You know, unlike all the other games, especially number four?

You know, you can, actually, turn off 'mech explosion splash damage in MW4, which is effectively turning off the Stackpole rule. At that point, 'mechs falling down and going boom is just the game's way of removing a gigantic lump of polygons (not really) to replace it with a much smaller amorphous mass of polygons, alpha channel and char-colored texture.

It makes UAC/20s and LBX/20s a lot more fun when you can safely get into "Dodge this" ranges without fear of being killed by the other guy exploding. (Now, his GUNS are another matter, so this is still best accomplished from behind.)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What happened to this thread? :psyduck:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It moved away from creepy furry pics to an awesome Hauptmann image. That should make it far less psyduck inducing, not more. :argh:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SynthOrange posted:

What happened to this thread? :psyduck:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I demand Clanner pilots, as the only Clanner warriors we haven't seen in our new cannon yet, now be genetically engineered into furries.

e: Why? Clan Hell Horses and ponytars, that's why.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

the JJ posted:

I demand Clanner pilots, as the only Clanner warriors we haven't seen in our new cannon yet, now be genetically engineered into furries.

I meet your demand with a heartfelt yet emphatic 'gently caress you'.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I meet your demand with a heartfelt yet emphatic 'gently caress you'.

I respect this opinion.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Man, those Elementals really did gently caress you ComStar guys up... 3 of your Mechs down to breaches caused by Elemental swarm attacks, 1 pilot dead, another almost dead due to the loss of armor in the head in another Mech... The remaining Mechs losing arms and weapons due to breach...

And all you guys have in response is 2 points of Elementals wiped out, plus two Clan Mechs damaged severely. I will say the Clint made the most of its predicament by shooting off the Left Torso of the Clan Hell's Horses Guillotine IIC before the Elementals killed the pilot... Seriously, though it isn't looking good for you guys. There's still 1 full point of Elementals out there that can gently caress you up something fierce and that relatively undamaged Grasshopper IIC, not to mention the damaged Guillotine and Hawk variant... Gonna be real hard to eke out anything positive here for you ComStar guys...

Also, nice characterization of the Point Commander of the Elementals... He was shown to be killed by a breach, but with PTN saying he might not be dead and might be back, I dunno. Hmm, guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Kicking Elementals with a Mech's giant foot is an amusing image. The Kintaro being able to splatter them outright with a kick only adds to that image.

Guess I'm not really impressed by ComStar tech. Sure, that NARC beacon might have helped, and when you did focus fire it was impressive, but otherwise, this has been a relatively pedestrian mission. Maybe I'm just not appreciating something, what with my inexperience with BattleTech and stuff...

Last but not least, the sudden explosion of female kobold/afro female kobold/afro female kobold wielding a knife/afro Guillotine being piloted by an afro female kobold wielding a knife/Crab walking Crab Mech/:dealwithit: Hauptmann/Crab/ fanart can be greatly amusing when it isn't do disturbing... Keep it out/tone it down, I don't know what to think here...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 8, 2011

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

the JJ posted:

Bam, now it's canon.

And they're not furries, they're kobolds.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

TildeATH posted:

And they're not furries, they're kobolds.

I dunno what those are, but this is a Kobold:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Fraction Jackson posted:

I like this one better.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Octatonic posted:

e: Oh yeah, they did Stackpole in a ridiculous mushroom cloud explosion if you overheated them! Flamer boats were ridiculous in the best way. :downs:

Due to a quirk in the way heat buildup was handled, alpha striking with 4 or more ER large lasers would instantly explode your mech. No amount of heatsinks could prevent this. Made the Supernova a hilarious deathtrap.

Aside from that and the "every mech is a omni" business though, yeah, MW3 was the best in the series by a gigantic shot. Too bad it basically can't handle any version of windows less than 15 years old.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Sam Hall posted:

Aside from that and the "every mech is a omni" business though, yeah, MW3 was the best in the series by a gigantic shot. Too bad it basically can't handle any version of windows less than 15 years old.

No kidding. I've tried about a dozen times on my two year old computer. :(

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Fraction Jackson posted:

Bullshit, that thing has way more than d4 HP.

I doubt it could even FIT in a 10'x10' stone corridor.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ah, the Kobold. Such dickery. ComStar helps Rasalhague build it, then Rasalhague breaks up for them in favor of the Ghost Bears. At least the FRR was honest enough to drop the "Free" and "Republic" parts out of their names when that happened.

It could totally fit in a 10x10 corridor, though. Battle Armor isn't THAT much taller than a person, and the Kobold is light BA. You want something that won't fit in a corridor, let's talk Fenrir (which, like most quad BA, is really more like a one-person car with a huge gun strapped to the top) or the ridiculously oversized Golem.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 8, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sam Hall posted:

Due to a quirk in the way heat buildup was handled, alpha striking with 4 or more ER large lasers would instantly explode your mech. No amount of heatsinks could prevent this. Made the Supernova a hilarious deathtrap.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure you could sink enough heat for it. I've had some fun pew-pew with way more than 4 ERLarges. I know in the Pirate's Moon expansion you get to pilot a Warhawk Prime so.... yeah.

And all mechs weren't Omnis, they were all just built using standard construction rules. It's just that unless you actually have to put time into the actual customisation you end up having no real difference between an Omni- and a Battlemech other than an insane pricetag.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

It has 10 doubles. At that engagement range it can use it all the drat time.

The Clan doesn't really do skirmishers or guerrilla warfare, though, right? And they prefer single combat where you should not run away from your enemy or avoid their fire? That would seem to negate the advantages gained by using it like a dirty raider.

Also, a sidenote: The Black Lanner must be the absolute derpiest mech in the canon

E: No longer image leeching.

Rivensteel fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 8, 2011

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

It moved away from creepy furry pics to an awesome Hauptmann image. That should make it far less psyduck inducing, not more. :argh:

Ponies seem exempt from anti-furry initiative these days.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Rivensteel posted:

The Clan doesn't really do skirmishers or guerrilla warfare, though, right? And they prefer single combat where you should not run away from your enemy or avoid their fire? That would seem to negate the advantages gained by using it like a dirty raider.

Normally, yes. However, the Clans do approve of using your advantages to the fullest - if you're dancing around at long range and the other guy can't catch you, well, that's his drat fault for not being fast enough to catch you or smart enough to maneuver you into a bad position. You're engaging him just fine, he's just being a scrub for letting you get away with it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rivensteel posted:

It's a scout/light-engagement machine. It's job is to power around so drat fast that you just can't hit it while it snipes at you or occasionally rushes in for some Mguniing.

Rivensteel posted:

Also, a sidenote: The Black Lanner must be the absolute derpiest mech in the canon

Sadly.... no.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Arquinsiel posted:

Rivensteel posted:

Sadly.... no.

Counterpoint

:downsgun:

Nevets fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 9, 2011

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Nevets posted:

Arquinsiel posted:

Sadly.... no.

Counterpoint

:downsgun:

Exactly, how many other mechs look like a celebrating quail?

Rivensteel fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 8, 2011

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Rivensteel posted:

Exactly, how many other mechs look like a celebrating quail?

I dunno, there's plenty of tragically derpy mechs. The ones that immediately come to mind...two of my favorite mechs, but also two of the most ridiculous:

LNX-9R Lynx

FLC-8R Falconer

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 8, 2011

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Fraction Jackson posted:

FLC-8R Falconer

drat! If you don't notice the left arm, that picture makes the right one look like a big floppy donkey dick.

Nevets fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 9, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

This looks stompy and awesome but you shouldn't image leech

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Chronojam posted:

I'll fix it in a sec.

Edit: fixed.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 8, 2011

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Rivensteel posted:

The Black Lanner just looks like a cross between a Mad Dog and a Cauldron-Born, which are two of the better-looking 'mechs. There are way worse ones (e.g. pretty much anything from TRO 3055 or 3060).

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I do so love my Lynx and its goofy, heart-shaped cockpit window. :allears:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Chronojam posted:

Same with the Black Lanner. Good heads up.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
The black lanner looks so bad. It looks like someone took the cartoon front end of a car and used as a groin and then stole the rest of the design from other mechs.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Same with the Black Lanner. Good heads up.

Fixed, thanks for the notice.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

I do so love my Lynx and its goofy, heart-shaped cockpit window. :allears:

Wow, that looks like a highly impressive mech for IS technology around the Clan invasion. When you remake it in equivalent Clan tech, it's really really nice.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Nevets posted:

drat! If you don't notice the left arm, that picture makes the right one look like a big floppy donkey dick.

Probably best to remove the leech from the quote too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rivensteel posted:

Wow, that looks like a highly impressive mech for IS technology around the Clan invasion. When you remake it in equivalent Clan tech, it's really really nice.

The Lynx is one of the reintroduced designs that dates back to before the fall of the Star League. It was downgraded (at least those still in service) before the original model was made available again in 3056. It's a nice medium `Mech, good speed, maneuverability, and power for its size, esp for a non-clan `Mech.

• Locked thread