Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

We've always suffered for putting off the persistent options.

I vote B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I know B will not win, but it is clearly the most interesting option on the field. Add intrigue and deception onto a field filled with Highlander Burials and you get something awesome.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Bear in mind that the Highlander is Lostech at the moment... :smith:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Bear in mind that the Highlander is Lostech at the moment... :smith:

Like every other mech, there is the downgraded variant for level 1 play. And hell, maybe if we are lucky we will start seeing some imitation -732 Highlanders now that the Gauss Rifle is back.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Kind of disappointed we don't get a second shot at playing in the New Rim Worlds Republic territory (for the moment), but all of these choices are pretty interesting in their own way.

I'm voting A since I want to see just how well we can employ asymmetric warfare against the Clans. Ideally I hope it goes down like that one chapter in Grave Covenant where 2 points of elementals get their poo poo kicked in by people armed with makeshift ballistas, carbombs, and dropping large objects onto them.

Of course in reality we're probably going to die horribly but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Gotta think the best way to kill elementals is to trick them into swarming a fake mech doused in gasoline, then you attack with your hidden Firestarter.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Current vote count for next scenario-
A)28
B)8
C)2
D)13
E)4

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

No love for Big MAC, which might be the only thing Capellan that I don't loathe. Maybe in this timeline we can somehow get them into the employ of House Davion or House Steiner. :unsmith:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Voting B for Liao cluster fuckage.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KnoxZone posted:

Like every other mech, there is the downgraded variant for level 1 play. And hell, maybe if we are lucky we will start seeing some imitation -732 Highlanders now that the Gauss Rifle is back.
Nah, the Highlander chassis itself was Lostech until the Gray Death Legion built one using the Helm core.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Arquinsiel posted:

Nah, the Highlander chassis itself was Lostech until the Gray Death Legion built one using the Helm core.

No one was building new ones, that's true, but there were still a few -733s with AC/10s replacing the Guass, no CASE, and regular armor instead of FF wandering around.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I will vote D but I won't be disappointed if A wins.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_66lcCwBAk4&feature=related

Cosmitz
Sep 2, 2011
E

I want Hanse Davion to come out and play.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

A because holy crap we need to slow down the clans. That is a bigass wedge taken out of the upper Sphere.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!
E

I'm really curious to see where this one would lead.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I gotta vote for A. The FRR never got enough attention for how awesome they are.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Tyra and her warriors fought
Like crazed demons above Radstadt.
When her fighter was crippled by ours,
And her life leaked away into the endless night,
She chose to die
And sent her fighter like a spear
Through the Dire Wolf, claiming as isorla
Our mighty ilKhan's life. Sing of our loss, warriors!
Sing, but of Tyra also,
For though an enemy, her courage none can deny.

You do not win a war in a C3 room, surrounded my monitors. You win from the front lines. The mighty Rasalhague Republic will kick these invaders out of our galaxy the only way they know how - by crushing a spider, legs and all.

A

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Ooo... drat, that mystery box is tempting.

Vote: A

But I really want to see the Combine get some sympathetic protagonists, and PTN's done a bang up job so far of making the Goon team likable.

BANZAI! :japan:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

Tyra and her warriors fought
Like crazed demons above Radstadt.
When her fighter was crippled by ours,
And her life leaked away into the endless night,
She chose to die
And sent her fighter like a spear
Through the Dire Wolf, claiming as isorla
Our mighty ilKhan's life. Sing of our loss, warriors!
Sing, but of Tyra also,
For though an enemy, her courage none can deny.

You do not win a war in a C3 room, surrounded my monitors. You win from the front lines. The mighty Rasalhague Republic will kick these invaders out of our galaxy the only way they know how - by crushing a spider, legs and all.

A
An excerpt from the Remembrance?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

W.T. Fits posted:

Ooo... drat, that mystery box is tempting.

Vote: A

But I really want to see the Combine get some sympathetic protagonists, and PTN's done a bang up job so far of making the Goon team likable.

BANZAI! :japan:

I think you have it wrong.

FOR THE THUNDER GOD! :black101: :japan: :denmark: :sweden: :black101: BANZAI!

Rasalhauge isn't merely the Draconis Combine. It's the land of Swedenese Vikings.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Voting A because Widowmaker is the only Clan we haven't seen in action!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I think you have it wrong.

FOR THE THUNDER GOD! :black101: :japan: :denmark: :sweden: :black101: BANZAI!

Rasalhauge isn't merely the Draconis Combine. It's the land of Swedenese Vikings.

In my defense, I know nothing about the setting save for what I've seen in this thread so far.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zikan posted:

Voting A because Widowmaker is the only Clan we haven't seen in action!

You haven't seen the Goliath Scorpions either.

Edit: I can promise you'll see at least one Wolf Spider this time around.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 23, 2011

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Voting A for more Sphere on Clan action.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
A. I love me some guerilla warfare action.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

gently caress yeah Rasalhague let's do this A.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Oh drat, I didn't even see that possibility for E. Yeah, there'd be quite the chance for Hanse to get pissed enough that he'd break out Battlemaster to kick these assholes off his lawn, just like he did with the "Death Commandos" OTL.

pun pundit posted:

Guerilla warfare or suicidal death rush? Seems like a hard choice, but only one option has someone called Lady Death who people seem to take seriously enough to be afraid of. E for :black101:

Paula Trevine commands one of the biggest and meanest pirate groups in the Davion Outback and bordering Periphery, plaguing both the Fed Suns and the Taurians. Oh, and any people on Tortuga besides her lackeys. Remember the "Crowd control? Isn't that what the Firestarter is for" joke? It's not a joke in her case. Her guys *are* using flamethrowers for crowd control. And not as a measure of last resort, either.

Shoeless posted:

McCarron’s Armored Cavalry sounds like fun, and I do love tanks, so C for me.

The Big Mac is a Mech unit. Also, amongst the "big boys" of the merc business, they're generally known as being pretty assholish.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Between all this voting, has anyone played Missionforce : Cyberstom or Cyberstorm 2 before?

They seem like pretty cool games, looks like tabletop Battletech too!

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Koorisch posted:

Between all this voting, has anyone played Missionforce : Cyberstom or Cyberstorm 2 before?

They seem like pretty cool games, looks like tabletop Battletech too!

Yes, Cyberstorm is one of my favorite games, worth the $5 bargain bin price I paid for it 20 times over. Cyberstorm 2 is O.K, but they lost alot of the charm and flavor of the original. Too bad it is impossible to play the original on modern computers.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Aren't those the Starsiege universe HERC sims? Of those I only played Starsiege and Earthsiege 2 - the former is a brilliant straight up Mechwarrior style sim, while the latter has you actually in control of manufacturing and research in addition to driving all the various vehicles. Including aircraft.

Really wish they'd include a little of the bigger picture management in the new Mechwarrior (5? 6?).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DatonKallandor posted:

Really wish they'd include a little of the bigger picture management in the new Mechwarrior (5? 6?).

My less-than-likely quiet hope is that once Mechwarrior 5 does well, we'll see a "First Lord" Paradox-style game (or perhaps even an actual Paradox game) that lets you take the Inner Sphere from the fall of the Star League to the modern era. That's really the "Mech Commander" game I'd want to see.

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

My less-than-likely quiet hope is that once Mechwarrior 5 does well, we'll see a "First Lord" Paradox-style game (or perhaps even an actual Paradox game) that lets you take the Inner Sphere from the fall of the Star League to the modern era. That's really the "Mech Commander" game I'd want to see.

If that were to happen, I would probably be found dead in my computer chair two months after release.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

PoptartsNinja posted:

That would be incredible. But even just the freedom to say "for this mission, I don't think a Mech is the best choice - I'll do this with an Aerospace asset with X loadout" would be nice to have.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PoptartsNinja posted:

If we're dreaming, I'd say have a number of scenarios, including Fall of the Star League, 1st Succession War, 2nd Succession War, and so on so you can start at any historical era.

My perfect scenario would start in 2315 with the fall of the Terran Alliance. Let me start with just New Avalon and see how far I can get!

EDIT: For extra degree of difficulty, start with one of the historical losers like Rasalhague or Chesterton or Alpheratz!

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

jng2058 posted:

If we're dreaming, I'd say have a number of scenarios, including Fall of the Star League, 1st Succession War, 2nd Succession War, and so on so you can start at any historical era.

My perfect scenario would start in 2315 with the fall of the Terran Alliance. Let me start with just New Avalon and see how far I can get!

EDIT: For extra degree of difficulty, start with one of the historical losers like Rasalhague or Chesterton or Alpheratz!

Or pretty much everyone in the Free Worlds League.

Also, will the Davions be able to cope with their rowdy vassal march lords? Will Skye's constant rebellions manage to wreck the Lyran Commonwealth's economy? Will the periphery states be able to research anything successfully?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Or pretty much everyone in the Free Worlds League.

Also, will the Davions be able to cope with their rowdy vassal march lords? Will Skye's constant rebellions manage to wreck the Lyran Commonwealth's economy? Will the periphery states be able to research anything successfully?

Comedy option: get to play as the Clans, and determine who gets dibs on the invasion. Clans Diamond Shark, Snow Raven, Goliath Scorpion, and Blood Spirit getting the invasion corridors, anyone?

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Going for A.

The problem with a political game is that the whole IP is always about big stompy robots shooting each other. While I can see how the fluff could make for an interesting game (seriously, a game where technology goes backward the more you blow things up), it would take that fluff becoming heavily emphasized for its own sake.
Maybe if there was a movie.

edit: oooh man. Now I'm dreaming of seeing the intial clan invasion on the big screen in full CG glory.
Hell, imagine a Justice Foot shot in 3D.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Cythereal posted:

Comedy option: get to play as the Clans, and determine who gets dibs on the invasion. Clans Diamond Shark, Snow Raven, Goliath Scorpion, and Blood Spirit getting the invasion corridors, anyone?

I see what you did there.

You just trolled the entire Clan way of life. Bravo.

Diamond Shark wouldn't even bother with a genuine effort at overthrowing the Lyran Commonwealth. They'd just start snatching up periphery worlds, then strike a bargain to take the "troublesome" province of Skye off the Lyran's hands, then sell it to the Jade Falcons.

Natty Ninefingers posted:

edit: oooh man. Now I'm dreaming of seeing the intial clan invasion on the big screen in full CG glory.
Hell, imagine a Justice Foot shot in 3D.

My question is, who do you want to direct this picture?
1: Steven Spielberg.
2: George Lucas.
3: James Cameron.
4: Michael Bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

My question is, who do you want to direct this picture?
1: Steven Spielberg.
2: George Lucas.
3: James Cameron.
4: Michael Bay.

Michael Bay. BattleTech is cheesy and demands many, many explosions. Preferably with plenty of giant robots armed to the teeth. Melodrama an optional but inevitable extra. Sounds like his kind of movie.

You just know a James Cameron BattleTech movie would be visually stunning but involve the bird aliens as a bunch of technologically backward but oh-so-retarded magical space Native Americans who are ever so much better than the brutal, ignorant, humanity.

• Locked thread