Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Oh geeze. What happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Oh geeze. What happened?

Ingrown toenail. Nothing major, but I've had it for over a month and it hurts like a bitch. Hardly a big deal, but since my job is extremely physical it made it pretty difficult.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Still waiting on several 'Mechwarriors... and I'm a bit grumpy 'cause I just had (an admittedly minor) surgery. C'mon, guys, I don't want to replace anyone.

Did you get my moves? Also, sorry to hear about the surgery boss. Hope you are doing okay, and you got some hella strong painkillas. That you use before making OPFORCE moves.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Still waiting on several 'Mechwarriors... and I'm a bit grumpy 'cause I just had (an admittedly minor) surgery. C'mon, guys, I don't want to replace anyone.

Hope your doing alright man and nothing serious. Pop those Vicodins!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ingrown toenail. Nothing major, but I've had it for over a month and it hurts like a bitch. Hardly a big deal, but since my job is extremely physical it made it pretty difficult.

I had one so bad they had to remove it to prevent the infection from spreading further so i feel your pain man, losing that toenail hurts like a mofo.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

bunnyofdoom posted:

Did you get my moves? Also, sorry to hear about the surgery boss. Hope you are doing okay, and you got some hella strong painkillas. That you use before making OPFORCE moves.

That sounds like a Caballero trick; get the Death Commandos completely loving stoned.

I approve.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Axe-man posted:

I had one so bad they had to remove it to prevent the infection from spreading further so i feel your pain man, losing that toenail hurts like a mofo.

I can top that: I lost 7 toenails at Summer Camp when I was 16. 'Course, I also lost 40 pounds in a month, couldn't stand straight for almost a week when I got home and had staph infections in both feet, so the nails were the least of my worries. A couple of them never did grow back in right, though.

I do have a couple of bitchin' scars on my feet, the ladies love em (or are grossed out).

loving camp almost cost me my pinky toes

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

WarLocke posted:

I can top that: I lost 7 toenails at Summer Camp when I was 16. 'Course, I also lost 40 pounds in a month, couldn't stand straight for almost a week when I got home and had staph infections in both feet, so the nails were the least of my worries. A couple of them never did grow back in right, though.

I do have a couple of bitchin' scars on my feet, the ladies love em (or are grossed out).

loving camp almost cost me my pinky toes

Jesus, what sort of death camp did you end up at, Max Liao's Happy Funtime Correctional Facility for War Orphans and the Criminally Young?

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Euugh.
The first time I had an ingrown toenail the Urgent Care guy decided to anesthetize it quickly by ramming the needle through my toe... lengthwise.

If it happens now I remove it myself and it's far less painful.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Jesus, what sort of death camp did you end up at, Max Liao's Happy Funtime Correctional Facility for War Orphans and the Criminally Young?

Haha, it felt that way. Basically I was a chubby kid who didn't excercise much who got sent to a hiking camp up in the mountains of North Carolina. The guys who ran the place were big into 'suck it up, nancy' and had a "no contact with your parents during camp" policy. I remember at one point I was so tired during the last week's hike (more like a week-long hike, they bussed us out somewhere and we hiked back to the campgrounds over 5-6 days) I just laid down in the middle of the path and told them I wasn't moving. The guide/counselor's reaction? Jump up and down on my chest until I decided to drag my rear end up (that's a 22-year-old dude in hiking boots hopping up and down on a 16-year-old kid's chest).

Sadly the camp folded before the legal suit my parents brought on it went anywhere.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

Camp Concentration, the hottest place on Earth.

Eeeugh, jeeze. That sucks. As someone who was a camp counselor at one point, I think I'd've had to report that to Osha or something, that's... just criminal. D:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Haha, it felt that way. Basically I was a chubby kid who didn't excercise much who got sent to a hiking camp up in the mountains of North Carolina. The guys who ran the place were big into 'suck it up, nancy' and had a "no contact with your parents during camp" policy. I remember at one point I was so tired during the last week's hike (more like a week-long hike, they bussed us out somewhere and we hiked back to the campgrounds over 5-6 days) I just laid down in the middle of the path and told them I wasn't moving. The guide/counselor's reaction? Jump up and down on my chest until I decided to drag my rear end up (that's a 22-year-old dude in hiking boots hopping up and down on a 16-year-old kid's chest).

Sadly the camp folded before the legal suit my parents brought on it went anywhere.

Sweet Sol Invictus! Legal suit? I'd file one, sure, but I'd also be filing criminal assault and gross negligence charges!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Eeeugh, jeeze. That sucks. As someone who was a camp counselor at one point, I think I'd've had to report that to Osha or something, that's... just criminal. D:

Yeah, and I was pissed at my dad for the longest time (it was his 'idea' that I go to summer camp). But after a certain point you have to let it go. It's done and gone, and unless one of you guys has a time machine there's nothing to be done about it but be glad that I don't have to buy special shoes.

It is kind of weird having a toenail that grows in paper-thin and flaky, though. That one breaks constantly, usually right down the middle. :gonk:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
TOO MUCH INFORMATION! :barf:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Magni posted:

TOO MUCH INFORMATION! :barf:

So I guess I shouldn't post the pics I just shot of my scars? :q:

Alright, fine. Let's get back to the Caballeros loving up some Liao scum! :ese: :ese: :ese:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
So could whoever hasn't submitted an order kindly get on with it? I fear what the next off topic derail might bring.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Hey, whoa, that's actually just a funny name, okay, MLHFCFWOCY is actually extremely enjoyable and builds important life skills. In fact, it's so great that liking it is state-mandated.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I love that the thread jumped on those of us who were discussing WH40k between turns for being off topic, but fat kids getting gangrene in the woods is fine and dandy.

(Good times were had by all.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm just disappointed he didn't post the pictures.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Hey PTN, did you get my last couple of emails? My mail server apparently had a hiccup a couple of days ago when I sent my orders in.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I love that the thread jumped on those of us who were discussing WH40k between turns for being off topic, but fat kids getting gangrene in the woods is fine and dandy.

(Good times were had by all.)

Actually, I'd prefer not to have backwoods gangrene discussions either. But, I've got everyone's orders in now, so we'll finally have an update coming. I'd prefer things stay relatively on-topic (we're up to 94 pages of posts now, so obviously I'm not too concerned by derailments unless they have absolutely nothing to do with Battletech).

So, as a new line of discussion, which of the 'Bug Mechs' (the Locust, Wasp, Stinger) is the best, and why?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 16, 2011

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
This is my Sophie's Choice.

Edit: I love the poo poo out of the look of the Locust, always have. It just looks mean, despite being a 20-tonner with crap for armor, but the fucker could run. I'd rather take a good pilot in a Locust than a decent pilot in a Wasp or a Stinger.

Keru fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 16, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, as a new line of discussion, which of the 'Bug Mechs' (the Locust, Wasp, Stinger) is the best, and why?

Locust. Particularly the LCT-1M variant. It's like the Hussar, but more irritating. But in general, yeah, the Locust. The greater footspeed and better firepower (and fliparms!) is just plain a better choice than the jump-capabilities of the other two.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Actually, I'd prefer not to have backwoods gangrene discussions either. But, I've got everyone's orders in now, so we'll finally have an update coming. I'd prefer things stay relatively on-topic (we're up to 94 pages of posts now, so obviously I'm not too concerned by derailments unless they have absolutely nothing to do with Battletech).

The answer is the Grasshopper. :colbert:

\/\/\/\/\/ Stinger isn't even a bug's name, its part of a bug. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 16, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's a reason the Grasshopper is my favorite 3025 design, even though it's "undergunned" for a heavy.

The Grasshopper is designed to find the smallest medium or light 'mech it can, bait the enemy into doing something stupid (like attacking the grasshopper) by pelting it with an LRM 5 (the equivalent of throwing rocks at it), then utterly destroying it if it's stupid enough to move in close.

But it's not one of the Bug Trinity. Sorry. :colbert:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 16, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The Grasshopper, definitely, who cares about undergunning. My playstyle is to always close to brawling range and kick the poo poo out of the other dude, relying purely on luck and medium lasers to get ahead.

edit; ok so its not part of the bug trinity.. i get that.. beause it'd just win it hands down.

I havn't seen it in action but i'd vote for the Wolf Spider. Oh that not bug enough for you? :mad:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

The honest answer is, of course, "it depends what you need it for," but as an all-rounder in Inner Sphere context, I'll take the Stinger.

Unlike my esteemed goon colleagues, I'd rather have 6/9/6 than 8/12 in almost any circumstance. Furthermore, given that in-universe, 20-tonners are far more likely to be called on to engage poorly-armed infantry or light vehicles than other Mechs, the Stinger's excellent mobility and twin MGs make it as useful in that role as much more expensive, rare, and heavy Mechs.

I also point to the minimal variants for the Stinger, in contrast to its insectoid peers. Mechwarriors of the Inner Sphere know not to mess with humble success.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Wasp WSP-7MAF or the WSP-8T for me. MMLs are so drat versitile for light mechs where every half-ton counts.

The Locust LCT-1Vb has pretty solid punch for a 20 tonner though. Also the LCT-5W2 looks like a tiny version of the Catapult K2.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Locust is the best, since it has a clear role and fulfills it wonderfully. And that role is drive-by shootings. If infantrymans Death has a personification in BattleTech, it's a dark Locust.

I wonder whether it would carry a scythe.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Regarding bug mechs...

I'm also a sucker for the mobility provided by jump jets. There's nothing quite like taking something with a good number of jump jets into an environment with a lot of cover, poor visibility, or movement penalties and abusing the mobility advantage, especially against longer ranged attackers... and there's always DFA.

So, on that note, give me a Wasp, especially a WSP-1W. 6 Small Lasers, that's more firepower than a Charger! A decent pilot can abuse that 6 jump range to move to the ideal attacking locale each turn, and hopefully land a number of small, abrasive hits on the opponent. With luck, a few good kicks or the odd lucky punch could knock an enemy out of the fight. This variant also has a fair amount of armor, considering its weight, giving it a chance to stand against infantry fire, or even a medium laser. And, at 1.6 million C bills, you can afford to field one of these babies. Or two. Maybe even more!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Tarantula :v:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

Unlike my esteemed goon colleagues, I'd rather have 6/9/6 than 8/12 in almost any circumstance.

It isn't just the movement, though. The Locust packs notably more firepower than the others and has flippable arms as well. Take the LCT-1E for example. It's a 20 ton mech, but it's got 16 points of damage on a 360 degree arc of fire. The only light mech that can best that is the Jenner. The Locust also out-armors the Wasp and the Stinger (LCT-1M aside)! Even the Stinger's uparmored -3R variant is worse, as the armor distribution isn't as good.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Tempest_56 posted:

It isn't just the movement, though. The Locust packs notably more firepower than the others and has flippable arms as well. Take the LCT-1E for example. It's a 20 ton mech, but it's got 16 points of damage on a 360 degree arc of fire. The only light mech that can best that is the Jenner. The Locust also out-armors the Wasp and the Stinger (LCT-1M aside)! Even the Stinger's uparmored -3R variant is worse, as the armor distribution isn't as good.

Well, the base Locust and Stinger have the same firepower. And while the LCT does have flippable arms, it only mounts the MGs in there, while the STG can fire behind it with its MLAS.

The LCT could be said to have superior survivability, as, on top of the extra ton of armor, its ammo and primary anti-Mech weapon are in the CT, making its limbs and side torsos ablative, but 'survivability' is just not very high on the list of priorities for a 20-tonner. Mobility is at the top of that list, I feel, and jump jets are the best way to achieve that.

The LCT-1E is a splendid anti-Mech platform, but I maintain that 20-tonners' primary purpose is not to fight Mech battles, and losing your anti-infantry firepower to pack on the lasers is contrary to this doctrine.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Locust, because it looks cool and can really move. Jumpjets are for noobs anyway. :colbert:

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Polaron posted:

The Tarantula :v:
Unironically this, especially the ZPH-4A. Who needs jump jets when you can sprint at 16 hexes while abusing quad-mech stability?

In the same vein, the LCT-6M is an amazing machine, though the -5W2 has a more interesting role on the battlefield.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

Jumpjets are for noobs

Not every fight is a Grand Melee on a featureless plain, quiaff?

Gay Abortions posted:

the LCT-6M, the -5W2

"How to spend way more on a Locust than most every Level 1 medium?"

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 16, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

The LCT-1E is a splendid anti-Mech platform, but I maintain that 20-tonners' primary purpose is not to fight Mech battles, and losing your anti-infantry firepower to pack on the lasers is contrary to this doctrine.

Counterpoint: Using a mech to fight infantry is not a good primary function for them either. All you need for anti-infantry work is a machine gun or two. The Stinger is a 1.6 million C-Bill tool that's nearly irreplacable; using it in a role that could be filled with equal ability by a 70k C-Bill APC is a waste.

A light mech's function is reconnaissance and counter-reconnaissance. To go out on point and see at ground level what's ahead of the heavy forces, and prevent the enemy from doing the same. For that role they need weapons that are effective against other light mechs. Anti-infantry weapons are a nice perk, but aren't the main function. If they were, why are you using a mech and not a tank? Or another infantry unit?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Y'all are all forgetting the Cicada. :v:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Tempest_56 posted:

Counterpoint: Using a mech to fight infantry is not a good primary function for them either. All you need for anti-infantry work is a machine gun or two. The Stinger is a 1.6 million C-Bill tool that's nearly irreplacable; using it in a role that could be filled with equal ability by a 70k C-Bill APC is a waste.

Counter-counter-point: you can't drop APCs from low orbit. Or you can, but you will experience suboptimal performance afterwards. Mechs are inherently offensive weapons.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

So, on that note, give me a Wasp, especially a WSP-1W. 6 Small Lasers, that's more firepower than a Charger! A decent pilot can abuse that 6 jump range to move to the ideal attacking locale each turn, and hopefully land a number of small, abrasive hits on the opponent. With luck, a few good kicks or the odd lucky punch could knock an enemy out of the fight. This variant also has a fair amount of armor, considering its weight, giving it a chance to stand against infantry fire, or even a medium laser. And, at 1.6 million C bills, you can afford to field one of these babies. Or two. Maybe even more!

The 1W is even scarier than it looks - it's' a perfect platform for the Dragoons to sneak some Clan tech in on in earlier points on the timeline. Replace the small lasers with ER smalls, mount double heat sinks, hell, maybe replace the armor with Ferro-Fibrous and you have a tiny buzzsaw of death.

Make sure you don't take too many impossible shots and no one will ever realize that you're cheating like a motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I'm going to go against the holy bug trinity and say the Spider!

The SDR-5V:

Known as the huge dick of a mech! This guy is the essense of "I might not hit for very hard but you won't be able to hit me." The SDR-5V has the ability to take it to the next level even against other light mechs. It's 240 Pitban Fusion engine is massive for it's size and requires that only 3.5 tons of Durallex Light armor be on the mech to allow for the 11.5 ton engine, more than 1/3 it's body weight!

But, Ladys and Gents of the audience; The Spider doesn't need armor, it only needs speed and more speed. To be even more maneuverable with 8 Jump Jets on the chassis and the lack of anything in arms or the torsos that allow for it to keep running. Punching and kick are a rule for the day in a spider, and it can take enough damage to strip it of everything but the central torso and keep fighting!

Now you maybe wondering why I've not mentioned the speed at all, since that is the focus of this mech. Thats because, with all the above it can reach 129.6 km/h and with it's jump jets it can go 240 meters at a time! We are talking fast, in the hands of the best pilot you jump behind the enemy at every turn and they can barely hit your blur! To back up the ability to do many physical movements to the enemy we have added 2 Aberdovey Mk III Medium lasers in it's Central torso, once again focusing on speed than raw firepower. These lasers shall be the death of a thousand knives.

Originally, the Spider was designed for the Star League for commandos! They rejected, however the Draconis Combine and the Federated Suns have not regreted it for a minute. Though you might have seen other, more strange variants those cannot compare to the sheer awe inspiring nature of the orignal. Man, those guys at Newhart Industries really knew how to make them. All of this, for common components for only 2,984,540 C-Bills. They are fast, cheap, and reliable and stunning on the field.

paid for by reincorperated Newhart Industries back to designing you mechs as of 3021, "This time we won't get nuked"

Click here for the full 1037x1551 image.

• Locked thread