Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
I gotta get in on this! Sign me up I got PM.

And I also hated that book with the locust worshiping birds and that LAM that was loaded down with gold. It was a waste of money. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
If the Vulcan moves to 1310 he breaks LOS to the Hussar and Spider. If he fails his piloting roll when going into the water it's not going to be funny though. The Jenner could jump to 1110 to cool off I guess. It will still have los but the penalties would be quite severe.

Man I have forgotten so much, is there an extra penalty for jumping into or out of water?

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Hob_Gadling posted:

<snip>I'd also like to extend my congratulations to the luckiest mech lance in the whole world. You're ridiculously untouched considering what the original OPFOR was.

Was that three fatal enemy ammo explosions in three rounds or three fatal enemy ammo explosions in four rounds?

Following that hitting the same part three times in a row on that dragon.

Can I have you guys decide on my lottery number next month?

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

WarLocke posted:

It's either that or "Holy poo poo aliens are invading the Lyran Commonwealth/Draconic Combine!" :derp:

Bloody Bufonidae, Bombinatoridae, Discoglossidae, Pelobatidae, Rhinophrynidae, Scaphiopodidae, or Microhylidae (not that good on xenobiology). Get of mah lawn! :bahgawd:

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Axe-man posted:

the only alien you need to know Tetatae

Ugh don't remind me. I bought that stupid book as a wee lad with limited money.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
I think it was something along the lines of disrupting the containment bottle when you drew power from the core or something. Been ages since I've read any of the books that tried to describe the hand waving that is the fusion cores.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Iridium posted:

My last request didn't make it. Please put me on the pilot list.

Same here really. I look forward to exploding gloriously from an ammo explosion after a fall from a missed pilot roll on the first turn sometime late 2011 early 2012 when we get around to me.
Unless we're talking x-com rookie survival rate on the mechwarriors in the future. :D

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 1, 2011

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Oh and for spamming the thread a bit, I mean christ, it only grows by 5-8 pages a day or so I saw something recently that I'm sure at least some of you have seen before.

In Japan they redesigned everything when they released the game over there and in some bisarre twist it was Studio Nue of Macross fame that did the new designs.

Here is a link to a gallery with scans from the books. They're.... well different. Some look good while otheMY GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEIR FEET.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
F F F F! ˇÁndale! ˇÁndale! ˇArriba! ˇArriba! *Jump jets to do a death from above!*

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
I've been doing some more research (read googling) on Battletech since that last link to the Japanese version and wel. Apparently Battletech was released in German as well. From the looks of it they almost got all of the game related books though only maybe 10 of the novels (no loss there really).

The Japanese pulled the plug on the series a lot earlier it seems.

They did have some nifty stuff like

Seems to be some kind of Battletech for dummies book. :D

But also crap like this

:negative:

The illustrations for the earliest novels well, I'll just leave it up for you to decide, it's not like the American releases where Rembrandts themselves

At least one of the Black Widow source books looks good!

Images mostly courtesy of yahoo auctions.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
What I dislike with most of the Japanese designs (and the lower left crusader in particular) is the legs themselves. With their short stubby legs and gigantic feet they seem to be more for posing than walking. Try imaging most of these run at 60-120kph without cringing. Most of them looks like they glide on their feet or have tracks or wheels there or something.
That said there are details I like on them and the rifleman looks good. I really like the Locust in particular but then again it is quite true to the original fasa design.

I have thus far failed to track down any Japanese Battletech figurines. Would be kind of fun to have some of those. With their gigantic feet they wouldn't need a base to stand. :D

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Son Ryo posted:

Can someone tell me how to get into the MegaMek IRC channel? I feel like seeing what this whole thing is all about.

Download an IRC client.
mIRC for windows usually, or just google for IRC client.
Then after setup write /server irc.synirc.net
After that /join #megamek

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
From what I know of fusion a catastrophic containment failure would either result in the ball of expanding plasma setting the inside of the reactor on fire or a plasma jet drilling through the reactor core and well, whatever else it manage to touch before it cools down/exhaust itself. Not that there is a lot of plasma in a reactor at any time though.

Well just guessing.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Agent Interrobang posted:

Meanwhile...

:siren:There are only two days left on the Hell's Horses Totem Mech contest!:siren: Entries close Saturday evening at 5 PM EST. So if you'd like a shot at a free Forums Upgrade, hop to it!

Have your "Artiebitches" come up with something fun yet?

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
It's probably some kind of upper limit to how much of it you can have in a post.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Koorisch posted:

Hmm... which of these mechs would be the best choice of the bunch: Atlas, Stalker, Thug, Catapult, Cyclops, Zeus or a Awesome?

Having a hard time picking which one I want for my squad in MW2:Mercs! :v:

The :iia: of course!

edit: If I ever get an awesome miniature that is what I'll try to pencil on the shoulder guards!

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 13, 2011

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

lilljonas posted:

This thread is really making me want to buy a bunch of mechs and play the tabletop game. But it seems like the starter box is OOP and they'll release a new one, but there's no date posted on Catalyst's homepage. I don't want a pdf rulebook, I want tons of mech miniatures to play with!

I got the fourth edition starter box and that one only contains four maps (double sided sheets), cardboard cutouts of some mechs and a light starter book with some rules and the four training scenarios that you can try in megamek.

Heck even the extra master rules I bought back then is outdated.

Well the point I want to make with this is just print some maps on A3 (or buy a map pack), print the bloody pdf (or buy a rulebook) and buy some cast models from Ral Partha or Iron Wind Metals or whatever they call themselves now.
There really is no point in getting the starter box anymore.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

D4 Blackjack fires AC 2 at St Hunchback (3 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 5): rolled 6, hit center torso (24/26 armor remains)!
D4 Blackjack fires medium laser at SS Rifleman (3 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 4 range + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 9, hit left arm (11/16 armor remains)!
D4 Blackjack fires medium laser at SS Rifleman (3 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 4 range + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 6, miss!
D4 Blackjack fires medium laser at SS Rifleman (3 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 4 range + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 12, hit left leg (15/20 armor remains)!
D4 Blackjack gains 10 heat, sinks 11!

V2 Zhukov fires AC 10 at St Hunchback (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 8, hit right torso (10/20 armor remains)!
V2 Zhukov fires AC 10 at St Hunchback (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 12, hit left torso (10/20 armor remains)!
V2 Zhukov fires SRM 6 at Sw Wolverine (4 base + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 partial cover + 1 secondary target = 9): rolled 10, hit with 5 missiles: hits right torso (8/20 armor remains), center torso (11/25 armor remains), center torso (9/25 armor remains), left torso (18/20 armor remains), center torso (7/25 armor remains)!

You missed the secondary target penalty on the Blackjack. D:
You could just rearrange the AC2 to the bottom and apply the penalty, would still hit. Otherwise one laser missed.

Though with the luck the players have been having it's almost time for the Capellans to break the Ares convention and nuke the Mexcians, or at least bombard them from orbit.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Enemy Status
D1 WHM-6L Warhammer
Damage: None
Armament: 1 PPC, 1 medium laser, 2 small laser, 2 flamer
Notes:

Left arm destroyed! SRM 6 destroyed! Medium laser destroyed!

Sorry, just nitpicking, you did remove the weapons from armament.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Kicks are always better then punches I've found out, the hard way.
And on that note! Boot to the head

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Preechr posted:

I don't know if this pertains to TW rules, but in older rulesets a mech with hands could rip an arm off of a destroyed enemy mech and use it as a club. Given that the Hunchback has hands, and may be passing over the destroyed Warhammer, perhaps he should stop and collect a trophy on his way past?

Yeah, mech limbs only require one hand to wield right? I think I remember uprooting and using trees took two.
It is both badass and :ese:, which kind of is the same. :D
Bunny of doom jumping up and down on an sms carrier while the Hunchy tries it's best at Japanese flower arrangement by opening up holes with the AC20 and sticking in limbs from fallen foes into them.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm sad none of you reacted to my horrible puns.

We're waiting for your horrible punt of the srm carrier instead.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Bunny of doom ran into a mine field and lies two hexes in front of the srm carrier, sans feet, imobile..... :ohdear:

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Somehow I think you guys came out ahead there even though you lost the hunchback. Now get those two last mechs!

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Zaodai posted:

Ugh, way to get a single hit before dying, SRM Carrier. At least it made it count. A shame those minefields turned out to be so ineffective. It made the SRM carrier sitting there as bait semi-pointless. :(

drat shoddy Chinese explosives.

To make it even better that hit didn't even amount to anything since it was that bloody PPC that ended the Hunchback.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Without the dame our lovely death comandos can execute six at once. Only once though I think.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
I was about to vote B, but then again, he is not that old and insane yet so lop off his head! A.
As for the MVP I think I'll vote for the Zukov and the guy who one shotted the cataphract.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Voting for A: 2nd Donegal Guard and SB: Howling Dogs.

Just what I wanted to write, spares me the effort. :D

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

I'm hoping this scenario turns into an instant bloodbath of horrifying TACs.

I don't care which side goes down, that's just the result I'm rooting for. The faster, the better.

Five machinegun TACs in a row! :D

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Spencerb posted:

I'm the pilot of the Wolfhound.

What should I do?

Crawl into the tunnel (praying to random deity that there are no RETRACTED in it), turn off your reactor and hope that they won't find you (, they will).

Other than that? Try to manoeuvre for back shots and kicking the legs off of them I guess.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also, goddamn that's a lot of '2's.

I do hope that it is the nova cat that you rolled 2s for. :ohdear:

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Guys... You're not thinking this through....
Survive 20 turns.
Duel is not over until he is defeated you know. He is only unconscious now. What if you place yourself near him and just wait 5 turns for him to wake up, and after he stands up just shoot him in the back?

Edit: Or wait, does he wake up with a 3+ roll?
In that case I guess it would be better to :mmmhmm: disarm him.

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 29, 2011

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

radintorov posted:

Since the dawn of time, when man first learned to speak, one question was always feared, for it always brought misfortune on those that asked it.
Borne out of ignorance, this fateful question exists in every known language, for it is universal in the pain and suffering it brings.
Ever since man warned other men of the horrors of a corpse-filled battlefield, the dangers of an active volcano or the madness of a movie directed by a crazy german ex-boxer, there is alway one individual, displaying a lack of any survival instinct, that has to ask it

Today, that poor soul will be I.

*ahem*

"It can't possibly be that bad, can it?"

It's got LAMs in it, Locust worshiping bird aliens, it's been so long that I can't remember clearly anymore thank god but possibly steam powered tanks, nukes and it's all baked into a story that will make you cringe every second page.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Commence 16 hours of :f5:

Only 8 hours for me! Going to bed. :D
At least there is some positive things living in CET.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I'm going to start at "hips deep" and say that it could go so bad as to resemble some particular forms of hentai that some people find either disturbing or highly erotic or possibly both at the same time.

Either way, we're going to see some serious poo poo.

I'd call it ankle deep in the poo poo, soles up. :ohdear:

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Besides, you could probably build an MBT that could be piloted and used by one guy if you had a reliable auto-loader for the gun.

Stridsvagn 103 was a three man crewed Swedish MBT. If we discard the rearward facing (and driver for driving backwards) radio operator your stuck with the driver and the commander. Both of them had controls for driving and shooting. One of them could control the whole tank in a pinch. Also the first tank with a gas turbine.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Ehm... Shouldn't the Mugger take a roll to sort out potential pilot damage from the fall?

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Whoops, yes he should.

And he rolled a ten too. Bah. :smith:

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
I mean, why havn't you pushed him down the hill again? You've had several chances to push him down the hill into the fire and it worked great last time!
I guess you will loose your leg this turn but he will still be hurting if you succeed in pushing him. Not much you can do except hoping he will wiff his kick and fall otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Poptarts, I sent you an email with my idea. Please let me know what you decide.

Oh please let it have been FCFP4!

Oh and on another note I vote B since people who orders sneaky business usually wants it to remain sneaky. I would expect betrayal.

• Locked thread