Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

landcollector posted:

He speaks truth. An LB 20-X autocannon using cluster ammunition can roll for up to 20 hit locations (most likely getting at least 1 through armor critical chance). Getting all 20 cluster pellets to hit the target, however, is unlikely.
Of course, luck is a key part in this. For every time you have weird things like a single LB 2-X thru-armor crit killing a 'Mech in the first turn, you have freaky luck streaks where every cluster from a LB20-X hits the center torso, completely stripping it of armor but not getting a single critical hit chance.

One of the more useful weapon combos you can use is a high-damage weapon like Gauss Rifles and PPCs combined with a crit-seeker like SRMs or LB-X/Rotary autocannons. One destroys the armor, the other gets critical hits.

enigma74 posted:

Another question: Do tanks automatically die if an enemy mech just steps on it?
No, but you can kick a tank if you want. There's no bonus to it other then the fact that tanks like to die from weird critical hits on a more frequent basis. Pushing Tanks/Mechs off cliffs are another fun thing, but its generally not worth it unless it's a really big fall/into bad terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Similarly, the contest is finally getting me to contribute to this thread even though I've been following it since the beginning. I decided to make a terrible monster out of an old 'Mech. Terrible may be the key word.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

I'm kind of surprised there were that many entries to the contest. A lot of those designs are pretty interesting and I kind of want to see them duke it out. It's interesting to me that there were also Marauder and Archer refits along with my Warhammer, because I was originally going to submit a Marauder instead, but went with the 'Hammer for looks.

That said, I'll vote for Mukaikubo's Archer, as the idea of an Archer with a big Gauss sounds pretty good.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

That Ragnarok/Kingfisher is absolutely brutal. When the "worst" variant has a pair of Ultra AC/20s you know you have a winner, or a threat that's best dealt with from as far away as possible. That Devastator clone is one I would use and seems incredibly deadly. I also liked that you managed to sneak in as many superfluous ER Small Lasers as possible, just like the canon version.

Anyways, for the last game:
Rasalhague MVP: Hunchback, for being a Hunchback and taking out that Heavy with a pair of CT shots.
Clan MVP: Thunderchild, because anyone pulling off a Boot to the Head deserves the MVP. Actually achieving the objectives makes it even better.
Honorable Mention: Long Tom, for making every shot count. Especially the one that managed to take out two units! (Sure one of them was itself, but it counts.)

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Oh, good. The Isle of Skye has a long, storied tradition of rebelling at the worst possible moments.

They also have a long, storied tradition of losing, so B, invade!

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

At least if the mini is anything to go on, the Fafnir has an access door in the back to get to the cockpit... along with a lovely deck for the pilot to stand on and mock lesser people from. And if you pilot a Fafnir, everyone is is a lesser person then you.

Of course, the Fafnir mini is also heavy and pointy enough to serve as a deadly weapon, or could probably accidentally kill someone if it was dropped on them.

But otherwise, yeah. It's mostly based off whatever the artist/writer felt like at the time.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

W.T. Fits posted:

Incidentally, from this point foward, all scenarios are going to take place in the middle of hurricanes.

Or on airless moons.

Or in a fire extinguisher factory.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Because the artist was confused.

Seriously. The Ostroc has hands, but the art has it with the SRM paddle arms for some reason. You can read the Sarna article for some in-universe explanation.

Edit: Well, a more likely guess was that the art was finished before the game stats were, but still.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

I actually have two copies of that book, funnily enough. Not intentionally, but they were cheap at used book sales. I might have to take you up on your offer sooner or later.

It's honestly not that bad of a book, for poorly-written pulp Sci-Fi. Star Lord is much, MUCH worse, in my opinion. Main Event is kind of dumb, but Star Lord is both boring and terrible.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Don't worry, the Quickdraw is also terrible stats-wise too. It was designed to be a quick heavy Mech with acceptable firepower, and it fails on all of these except for "being a giant robot."

If I may rant for a second, it has a bad weapons loadout, made worse by the fact you have to choose between the SRMs or half the lasers firing backwards. As a bonus, the Medium Lasers that face forward are in the arms, preventing you from using them if you want to punch. The armor is terrible, about the same as 45-ton Phoenix Hawk. And, it's not really that quick, moving the same speed as most "trooper" mediums like the Griffin and Wolverine. Also, it's ugly, the worst thing a robot can be.

The stupid part is that there's no reason for it to be a heavy Mech. Dropping it down to 55 tons means you can add more armor for the same speed and firepower, and save a bunch of money at the same time.

T1g4h posted:

Stone Rhino :h:

I've always loved that it has either the world's biggest Small Pulse Laser or an Ultra Gausscannon. It's a good-looking design anyways.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

If the best thing about your Mech is "it can headchop someone at melee range, if you get lucky," then yeah, it's crap.

Guitar_Hero posted:

Apparently the dorsal gun is in fact an Ultra Gausscannon, Sarna says that both Gauss Rifles fire through it.

Well, yeah. I was joking, the World's Biggest Small Laser is how people talked about it until they added that bit in one of the later books.

And the Mech almost certainly had different stats when they commissioned that art. As far as I know, 3055 ended up being rushed, as not only is there the issues with the Behemoth, there's also the Phoenix Hawk IIC that was a different Mech design stats-wise until the name was changed. It wouldn't surprise me if the Behemoth originally had three Gauss Rifles.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Seriously, don't mock the Stormcrow. It's one of the most well-rounded Medium Omnimechs, has max armor, good mobility, and can pack some serious punch.

The B variant is just unfair in a city, as it has both an U/AC 20 and 6 ER Mediums. It will shred nearly anything in the five rounds before it promptly runs out of ammo or overheats, but those are a scary five rounds.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

It does have 2 ER Large Lasers and 3 ER Mediums with enough heat sinks to literally fire all of them every turn forever, so you could do that if you get the Prime.

I have no idea why they gave it one or two extra heat sinks over an ECM suite or something else similar. Of course, the version in this universe may have changed that.

As for the B, make sure you aren't exposed, get behind people, and try to get to range 4 so you can hit them with the AC at short range. I wouldn't use the double shot or even fire all 6 lasers unless you're nearly certain to hit, as it wastes ammo or heat you might need later.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

With how good the Goon pilots are, this is probably pretty fair. If they exploit their speed and firepower advantage, and don't get overwhelmed, it should be a good fight. Of course, there's always a chance for the ilKhan to catch a Gauss to the face on turn 1.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Personally, I'm interested in seeing what the Coordinator has in store as far as that Zen Garden goes. If it's just a bunch of difficult terrain slowing down the Goonstar rush it'd be a bit of a shame, really.
I'd be rooting for some sort of elite infantry hiding in the rocks personally.

It's like a minefield, but with Ninjas. Ninjas with Inferno SRMs.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

I could have sworn it's pretty much just a few specific authors (Stackpole) who insist on the 360 view-strip thing as the only way to see outside, and that since then they've sorta retconned it into being a backup/extra system instead of the primary vision system.

There have been a few sourcebooks that showed the inside of a Mech cockpit and it looked very much like a modern fighter cockpit then anything else.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

I've tried to use MASC twice and both times I rolled snake eyes immediately. Losing a Stealth instantly due to bad dice is both depressing and also really funny.

It's still worth the risk most of the time, especially now if you can use it to get around some of the scarier DCMS Mechs.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

The B actually doesn't have the tiny hands, but instead has the lower right arm of a Nova. The other arm, of course, is a giant loving autocannon:

(Mini painted by Psycho over at Camo Specs Online.)

The normal Stormcrow's hands are still funny, of course. I always liked how it seems to show how the Clans focus more on ranged attacks than Robot Fisticuffs or even using Mechs for non-combat uses.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Well, it sort of makes sense to ride it out when losing your 'Mech is basically the social equivalent of going from nobility to peasant in the 3025 era. Death before dishonor and all that, and there's no guarantee you'll be able to get a new 'Mech.

Also, unless the 'Mech is going up from an ammo explosion or something similar, it's probably safer to stay in the nice, well-armored cockpit instead of getting stepped on or hit by a stray laser.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Hatchets and huge Autocannons are awesome, when they work. Sure, it normally doesn't, but they are fun enough to try anyways.

Carbolic posted:

You can load most 'Mechs up with medium lasers and make them better death machines than the stock 'Mechs, because in-game concepts (tonnage, crits, range, heat, damage, ammo, etc.) don't effectively balance out weapons (thus the need for artificial calculations like Battle Value).
Seriously, the Clan ER Medium Laser is probably the best all-around weapon by far. 7 damage for 1 ton and 5 heat, and it has the same range as an IS Large Laser. Any IS 'Mech gets instantly better by replacing their IS lasers with them. It also gives Clan machines have an ever bigger advantage over IS 'Mechs, as their "backup weapons" are almost as good as most IS medium's main weapons.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Basically decades ago the devs made some questionable decisions that the rest of us have to live with. Or exploit.

Yeah, the game could use some serious rebalancing, but they never will because they would have to redo almost every unit and it would annoy a lot of players. Even a few simple things would help, like increasing the weight of Medium Lasers, and either making Autocannons lighter or increasing the damage of the AC/2 and AC/5 to something like 3/7.

Machine Gun Ammo being made of nuclear bombs needs to stay, however.

Congratulations! You Won. fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 23, 2012

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

I'll go with all of them:

The Stormcrow gets its remaining arm removed via the Dragon, the Hellbringer takes five Gauss Rifle slugs to the face at the same time, the Atlas body slams the first Garg into the lake destroying it instantly, and a stray bird flies into the remaining Gargoyle and somehow, inexplicably, activates its ejection system.

I swear stuff like this happens frequently, Battletech is weird like that.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

The remaining Gargoyle is probably stranded either way. I just don't see it making all the way across the city without losing armor on one location or just outright getting destroyed. So, good luck! Prove us all wrong!

Anyways the thing with Harjel is, one of the Clan's big things is cutting down on waste, so why bother when it will be worthless most of the time? After all, the best way to prevent flooding is to just not go for a swim. It's not like in Battle Armor or Warships where it helps keep important things on the inside during combat.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Well, if you quit out this early into a match, PPC-shaped sunroof aside, you'd probably immediately be fired and blacklisted from any major event/stable for cowardice. MechWarriors are paid to make matches interesting, not to survive. And even if someone dies, there's plenty of people who would be willing to take their place. After all, being a famous pilot on Solaris is like being a rock star with his/her own giant killer robot, and who doesn't want that?

It's not that Solaris matches are supposed to be to the death or anything, but you'd be saying goodbye to your career. If you'd rather live as a loser has-been, sure, yield and bail out. Otherwise, try to duck under the PPCs.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

I don't know why my formatting got messed up on my entry but I'm sure people can figure it out. I actually wrote a whole bunch more text, too, but I decided to cut it because it was honestly three full pages of text and oh God I spent like three hours on this and it's terrible.

I'll have to vote later, there's just so many entries this time.

Leperflesh posted:

It's also kinda unfair but I'd love to see all of TG's drawings before voting. I love the two he did for me, but I suppose anyone lacking a drawing might be at a voting disadvantage so I can see why we'd wait.
Yeah, no offense, but I'd like to lose on my own merits, not because TG made a great drawing :v:

I've been trying to draw my entry, but I am a bad artist so it might not pan out. Can't wait to see the other drawings, however.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Turn 4: the Shadow Hawk takes a (probably through-armor) critical to an ammo bin and turns into a patriotic fireworks display.

It's not a game of Battletech without at least one ammo explosion, and the SHD has a bin in every torso for the best odds of going up like a Christmas tree.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

I originally figured that a 6/9/6 45 tonner with a big main gun and two smaller lasers means that it is some sort of Phoenix Hawk variant. You can easily make one with an XL Engine, SNPPC, 2 ERMLs, and a retractable blade. You even still have another 3.5-4 tons left over for other fun stuff, like some SRMs or electronics.

But looking at the Preta, it does seem more likely to be a less advanced, non-omni version of the D model. Depending on how you built it, it could be with a standard engine and Endo Steel/Ferro Fibrous armor, or with a light engine and various types of armor/structure depending on how many extra Small Lasers you wanted to add.

Either way, it's a solid medium brawler with near-max armor and solid medium to short range firepower. Don't take a blade or PPC to the face!

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

It makes sense for a skirmisher kind of design: hop out of range/behind cover to cool off, then get back to shooting. Plus, a little bit of heat won't kill you.

Slaan posted:

Too late for both warning, Ba Donk a Bonk. Too late. :negative:

I didn't say anything about getting karate chop'd by a Griffin.

On that note, good luck Goonlance! Try not to take a boot to the head either!

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Even 30,000 is way, way too small. It's just another case of FASAnomics, aka "oh god we don't know anything about economics just make something up and hope no one notices." Just think that there is enough that interstellar trade was possible but expensive, and that blowing up a JumpShip is pretty much a war crime.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Do any merc units own their own JumpShips or do they all thumb rides off passing JumpShips?
It matters how rich a merc is, pretty much. Most units try to use their own transports, but often they will ride on private ships or be moved around by their employer. After all, if they are on the payroll, there's less of a chance of them ditching a unit if things go bad.

Maintaining a JumpShip is a huge sum of money, and that still doesn't include the cost of acquiring one via hiring a private ship full-time/buying one/theft.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Jumpships (and Dropships) go way down in value, so to speak, following the Clan Invasion/Helm Memory Core stuff. The main issue was that they could only make "a handful" of jumpships a year, but once they have a steady new supply of them they become less and less protected. Dropships, on the other hand, were mostly left alone because it was worth more trying to steal them instead of just blowing them up.

It's kind of the same as the pre-3050 "'Mechs are family heirlooms" vs mass-produced 'Mechs post-Clan Invasion.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

I think that whole issue was one of the main driving points behind the whole FedCom Civil War/WoB Jihad storyline: if they blow up all the factories and existing units, the game could go back to the Knights in Shining Robots kind of style. After all, there's always been a semi-large amount of people who only play with the old tech/3025 storyline stuff.

It's too bad that the whole Jihad/MW Minis game situation was fumbled so badly. Instead of Generic Sci-Fi Space War, going with a clean slate could have given a throwback to the whole Mad Max in Space feel that the 3025 setting provided.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Even worse, you end up dealing with bird aliens. (er whoops too slow.)

There's also a few other fun ones, like the ship that managed to be lost in time for 250ish years.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

PoptartsNinja posted:

(and yet, better, since Star Lord is an easy jumping off point to get in universe since it's focused and fun).

Funny, that's almost the exact opposite of what I feel about Star Lord. I mean, the first third is basically "Oh no, I'm A FedCom/FWL/Clan Mechwarrior and I just lost my unit to mysterious raiders! Time to somehow end up on Galatea!" After that, the rest of the novel reads like someone trying to convert an RPG campaign to novel form and failing pretty badly. And it doesn't seem that friendly to new readers, considering you get someone from almost every major faction and there's references to the Star League/Amaris Coup stuff.

There's a reason that the book has two authors; Donald G. Phillips is on the cover, but Blane Lee Pardoe is credited inside and according to his blog he rewrote large portions of it (9th paragraph.) It certainly reads that way, considering parts of it feel like they are written by different people and overall it's very poorly paced.

It's not the worst story idea, but it could have been done a hell of a lot better. Maybe if it went full-on 80's action movie, instead of getting bogged down in following an entire 'Mech tournament or retelling nearly the same origin story three times. Then again, one of the first BattleTech books I read was Main Event, and I enjoyed it, so :v:

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Because, uh... Look over there, a three headed Atlas!

(Something something harder to hold on target or lower velocity or something. It's just pure game balance, don't think too hard.)

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Well, if they did change it, the game would be significantly different. It'd still be worth using the ERPPC if it did 20 damage at 4/8/12 instead of 10 at long range, after all.

The difference is, the close-range tradeoff would be more heat instead of dealing with ammo like it currently is. Or just making them use ammo anyways.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Arquinsiel posted:

TacOps/Maxtech has a rule for burst-firing them. They do d6 damage and fire off that many rounds. I can't remember how they cluster, but it makes Pirahnas hillariously dangerous.

It does. The one time I saw someone try that rule out, it involved a Piranha running behind someone and firing every machine gun at maximum speed.

Rolling everything took about ten minutes and the target took about 15 critical hits by the end of the single turn of shooting that occurred that game.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Well, just the fact that it's 65 tons means that it is up-armored significantly. With the way engine and internal structure scales weight wise, having a light weapons load makes sense on a 5/8 heavy, unless it has an XL engine.

If it does have an XL engine, for all we know it could be packing an extra 17 ER Small Lasers. Or, you know, something that's actually deadly.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Saint Celestine posted:

Would it be possible to have a team of 2 people control 1 mech, so that theres always SOMEONE there?
You just have to go all :commissar: on people who don't respond quickly enough instead.

Then again, I'd still recommend against doing a company on company (or even larger) battle outside of MegaMek just because it takes forever.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Ah, yes. The Urbanmech life cycle is always fascinating to study.

You always have to watch out for Overlords, otherwise you might find it leaving dozens of eggs all over the place.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Their artwork really is that bad.

Also, they are annoying to both make (everything is done in kilograms instead of abstracted quarter/half tons like 'Mechs) and fight (two of their hit locations are "nope you missed lol", if I'm remembering it correctly.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Maybe someone should add a "goonlance." in text in the bottom corner for the last couple frames?

• Locked thread