Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Mk. II: Bigger, longer, uncut robo-cock.

Mukaikubo posted:

... :smuggo:

I say Group fire on the lights, withdraw if anyone starts to get seriously hurt. Two of the light mechs have exceptionally thin armor, and could go down quicker than you think, while only our Jenner is strongly vulnerable to a Surprise like that. I say go for it. The only problem is that you all are pretty terribly positioned at the moment, and if you let it that Dragon is going to pick you apart.

This.

Drop the Jenner as quickly as possible. It's the only light with the firepower that matters. Then you can withdraw at your discretion.

If you drop one of their light mechs that can pursue, they'd be stupid to commit the other to a chase. If you withdraw and the lone light pursues, you'll separate it from the rest of the lance and can turn and engage it on your own terms.

PS: Please sign me up as a pilot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

Axe-man posted:

Tried connecting but it doesn't seem to be working.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

Axe-man posted:

Yeah I see that , I'm not sure, you have any firewall going on? may want to allow megamek

I'm not behind a firewall, so I don't think its a problem on my end. Could it be a version mis-match issue? What build of MegaMek are you using?

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

evilmiera posted:

But the HPG network is also used to control all communications aren't they? I mean sure, that's needed to make sure every state doesn't collapse, but if that got shut down all of them would just invade and re-establish the system under their control, ending the wars early, right? Or is that too simple thinking on my part?

Well that sort of assumes that you could coordinate some kind of massive interstellar invasion of the core of the inner sphere without a system of communications.

With 5 successor states all spanning hundreds of worlds, without pre-planning, you have no way to communicate and coordinate your forces beyond a short series of jumpship 'pony express' lines of communications that take weeks to months to pass messages from system to system. Without central control of forces there'd be no way to really effectively fight the war, especially in a 'total war' mindset where jumpships themselves are targets of attack.

The Dark Age novels kind of illustrate the difficulties of launching that kind of war in a communications blackout, and it was difficult for even the successor states to effectively take control of Republic territory during that time with any kind of coordination.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Voting F because of the potential for some Duncan Fisher narration.

Voting F as well.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

Affi posted:

Based on Far Country, what else could the opposing team have to work with?

Anyway. I will recommend that after this round you all consider your moves very carefully next round. The first light to step on a DEST team will probably die real fast.

Aside from aliens?

Dropships. It featured Leopard, Seeker, and Vulture-class dropships.

Nothing else was mentioned in the book as far as I can recall.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
A while back (2009) Piranha Games released a concept trailer for Mechwarrior 5, a reboot of the series set in 3015. After a number of years the project has appeared quite dormant, and Pirhana has been expanding and working on other projects, such as helping to finish the tremendous turd of Duke Nukem Forever.

They've never explicitly come out and said that the game was dead, but it was widely suspected. However, tweets from Pirhana developers as well as a series of job posting have appeared over the past few months that called for artists with "A portfolio that shows a passion for urban/sci fi/post apocalyptic art" which has lead to a bunch of people to speculate Mechwarrior 5 is back under development.

Well, the shoe has dropped in the latest job posting:

quote:

Concept Artist Lead (PGLCoA)

The Concept Art Lead will report to the Art Director.

Key Responsibilities:

Successful completion of all concept art within prescribed style.
Mentoring and training of less experienced concept artists.
Translating the Art Director's and Creative Director's vision into usable reference for 3d artists.

Additional Requirements:

4+ years experience creating concept art for video games (environments and characters)
Extensive portfolio with focus on both concept and technical design drawings
Exceptional Photoshop or similar digital painting skills
In depth knowledge of the Battletech universe

So it looks like Piranha is gearing up for a real go at the sequel in the near future. Rejoice.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

Alchenar posted:

They're a small studio and got the chance to work on the multiplayer element of Duke Nukem Forever. I wouldn't be surprised if it's anything as simple as them just dropping everything to knock that out and get guaranteed money for x months operating costs.

Its pretty much exactly that. It was confirmed by one of the developers on Twitter that HG isn't an issue as far as development has gone, and they did just drop everything and go with Duke for the money.

My suspicion is that the Mechwarrior project has been their "breakout" title for a while, and that they've needed to switch gears and change projects to keep the lights on while working towards completing it. They've also moved into a new building, and have completed a bunch of other contract work so I imagine now that they've got some solid finances they're having another go at finishing it.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Voting G.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
So the Mechwarrior 5 project marketing is underway, this thing is apparently go for launch.

Bryan Ekman, developer for Pirhana tweeted about a new account a few minutes ago called @InnerSphereNews.

Here's the tweets:

quote:

Inner Sphere News
We'll release another fragment when we have 100 followers!
31 minutes ago

InnerSphereNews Inner Sphere News
We've received a fragmented message from the #IndependenceWeaponry on the world of Quentin. Check out our profile picture.
32 minutes ago
»

InnerSphereNews Inner Sphere News
Welcome to the Inner Sphere News broadcast feed.
37 minutes ago

So uh :aaa:

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

GenericOverusedName posted:

The Gargoyles seem pretty decent to me. I don't know where the weapons are located on them, but the loadout isn't something to laugh at.

The cannon Gargoyle prime is a pitifully under-armed 80 ton assault mech. It's almost at Banshee levels of retardation.

Here's its weapons load-out:

Primary Configuration
1 x ER Small Laser
2 x LB 5-X Autocannons
2 x SRM-6s

It can deal a whopping 10 damage at range, assuming both LB 5-X autocannons hit, which is less than a single clan ERPPC for half the weight of both autocannons. It would be hard for PTN not to improve them in terms of loadout.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not a whole lot, honestly. Most Level 1 `Mechs are pretty heat efficient if used properly, and the ones that aren't tend to have more problems than simply heat dissipation (I'm looking at you, Rifleman! :argh: ).

Actually, I disagree quite a bit. Level 1 mainstays like the WHM-6R and ARC-2R suddenly begin to look a lot meaner when you can dish out the maximum armament every round instead of having to do the whole fire-fire-cooldown routine.

The WMH-6R in particular becomes a really nasty design. Keeping its armament, and swapping for enough heatsinks to give it 30 points of heat dissipation, you can up the armor to 14 tons. At level 2 and with a BV of 1500ish, you're looking at a really competent line mech that comes cheap which can keep up with more modern designs like the Gallowglas.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

paragon1 posted:

Wait, if this planet is considered a backwater, then why the gently caress are there so many mechs on it? Why do the clans care about taking it at all? How did they even scrape together the funds to hire the Black Thorns? God this book is so loving stupid.

The planet falls behind the main line of defense systems wise along the Lyran-falcon border. Taking the planet would provide a system the falcons could use to bypass the main Lyran border defenses and strike in the rear.

Battletech campaigns look an awful lot like the island hopping campaigns of the ww2 pacific theatre.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Orders sent.

Honestly, if I don't die from a faceplant, an I-beam through the head, or skidding off the map, Taku's probably going to finish the job.

Eh, your options are limited and death by I-beam is no more of a threat than eating an SRM.

Walking through a single building to escape the majority of the fire on what I think is 5+ to AVOID damage is a pretty good deal. Especially since you have a ton of armor. Even if you fail the PSR its still not assured you're taking a cockpit hit from an I-beam.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Nice. Leg it straight ahead down that road and you'll be one turn away from the exit.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

He'll have to risk the ire of the MASC gods to get quite that close

At this point it may be a good idea just to leg it to get around the corner faster and avoid the fire from Yori's Whammy

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Shut up and take my money: http://www.gamesradar.com/mechwarrior-online-exclusive-trailer/

New Mechwarrior Online trailer. The atlas looks absolutely gorgeous. Its all done in-engine.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

Tempest_56 posted:

I literally squealed with delight when I heard that voice at the startup sequence. :flashfap:

If that made you squeal, this should make you cream your pants.

quote:

Bryan Ekman, on 28 February 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

Yes. It's the in-game HUD. Yes it's the in-game cockpit. Yes it's the in-game Atlas.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Its been over a year since the start of this thread...and I'm finally going to get to pilot soon :ohdear:

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Voting B because gently caress the Capellans.

(Also if the next vote makes me play Capellans I'll be :smith:)

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Since I'm voting for my own combat theatre, I'm voting C!

Mechvotes:

DS7) Mackie by KnoxZone
CC13) Bloodbeak

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Looks like I'm driving one of these badboys :c00l:

So the variant I'm piloting of the venerable Cicada is actually a very rare radical redesign of the chassis with a combat profile for threatening larger mechs. It uses a smaller engine to free up enough tonnage to mount a Donal PPC in its right torso, and sports two machine guns.... in the legs.

quote:

Its arms are vestigial—wings, really—and mount only minimal armor. The Cicada’s legs, while strong enough to carry the ’Mech at phenomenal speeds, are under armored as well.

So basically instead of myomer, I'm driving a mech with legs made out of two sticks of TNT. Who doesn't love carrying around tons of machinegun ammo!

This is gonna be fun!

Rhobot Mk. II fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 16, 2012

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

LeschNyhan posted:

Checking in and ready to Go Fast!

Seriously check this derpy motherfucker out. Speed: 151.2 km/h. That's like 9/14, and we haven't got a spot of concrete in sight. I'm going to be doing laps of the pond. Or something.

(Yeah, ok, I've got 2 mlas and a flamer and I'm made of paper, big deal.)

(Also, dude in the Cicada might want to rehost his image.)

edit: How are we coordinating ourselves this round, guys? Another google doc, or PMs, or what?

We could do something radical and pick a time and schedule a Google+ hangout for an hour to coordinate each turn. Then we all can be on the same page, submit at the same time, and get our orders to PTN.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Speaking of the bug variant, I know your instinct might be to dump the MG ammo first thing, but I wouldn't be so quick to do so unless you're sure there's no hidden infantry on the board. As I mentioned before, having 8 player 'mechs vs. 6 OPFOR 'mechs seems too easy, even if the Arcturans do have a Guass Rifle in play.

We've got a lance of mechs with very different talents , and walking around with a 200 damage bomb in my CT means that ammo is going out the chute turn one, if not before.

If I run into infantry, I'm running the gently caress away and going to call on my buddy Hermes II for :flame:. There's no way I'm hanging out within range 3 of -anything-.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

landcollector posted:

You actually have a 400 damage bomb in your CT.

:sigh:

I wonder if PTN will let me come onto the field with the ammo already dumped and -maybe- 2 rounds in the bin.

cafel posted:

I get there's some risk, but aren't you at a point where the difference between a kill from your ammo cooking off and your center torso being straight out destroyed by damage really small? I know we have a ton of speed, but it seems like relying on one mech for all anti infantry work might bite us in the rear end.

We're talking about a single TAC being able to vaporize my mech. A single crit roll to my CT has a number of outcomes, but none of them will result in instant death if I dump the ammo.

You're forgetting we have two lances coming into the engagement. Both the Hermes and Hermes II mount :flame:

Rhobot Mk. II fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 16, 2012

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Normally I wouldn't do this, but you've got a field refit to something slightly less insane.

Thanks PTN! I tried to make the refit match the 'spirit' of the original, while keeping in mind how much time and money serious refit would require. I can actually see a tech performing this kind of a straight-forward hack-job.

Edit: Changed it after looking at Strategic Operations re-fit rules. This is now a Class B modification.

quote:

Cicada CDA-3C-F
40 tons
Movement: 7/11
Heat Sinks: 11
Internal: 67
Armor: 64/137

Weapons Loc Heat
Small Laser LL 1
Small Laser RL 1
Medium Laser CT 3
PPC RT 10

Notes:

A hastily improvised refit for the venerable Cicada, this modification is a fairly simple job for a tech with limited field facilities. Swapping a pair of machine guns for a pair of small lasers with a similar size, weight, and combat profile, the modification immediately reduces the threat of internal ammunition explosions at the expense of an added heat burden.

This field expedient modification also makes use of the room in the Cicada's centre torso previously used for ammunition storage. By cutting away parts of the ammunition feeding system, enough room is made for an additional medium laser.

Andrevian posted:

Yeah. I didn't know much about them other than the fact that they're a country founded on the principle of FUCKDAVIONS. Which is quite possibly the noblest principle to found a country upon.

Ain't nothin' wrong with being Space Texas, but I'm guessing it'd be handled about as well as Space Anything Else is.

They're pretty :tinfoil: for a reason. Who can blame them for their paranoia, when someone -was- actively out to get them.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Tripitz_Affair

quote:

Ten days after Yin Takami assumed the mantle of Primus in 2979, Precentor ROM Karl Sims informed him and the rest of the First Circuit of a possible threat to the Order. In a routine survey of an empty star system near New Vandenburg, the Taurian Concordat had discovered a long abandoned Black Lion-Class battlecruiser, the SLS Tripitz, orbiting one of the planets. The ship was a battered relic left behind during the Amaris-Kerensky Civil War, but the Taurians believed they could recover the vessel and possibly even repair it.

Because the bitter fighting of Succession Wars had seen the loss of all Inner Sphere WarShips outside of ComStar's hidden fleet, the discovery of the Tripitz and even the slim possibility that it could enter active duty would upset the current balance of power in the region. Adding to the problem was indications that the Capellan Confederation's Maskirovka had also learned of the discovery and planned to stage their own recovery mission.

In response, Primus Takami ordered the 1st Division of the ComStar Guards and Militia to the star system with orders to destroy the Tripitz rather than risk it falling into the hands of either the Taurians or the Capellans. To disguise ComStar's complicity, the Primus ordered that the ships and fighters be painted white and given no identifying markings that might link them to the Order.:tinfoil: When the Taurians learned of an unknown JumpShip in the system, they immediately launched four Lances of AeroSpace Fighters, which the ComStar fighters quickly engaged. While the Taurians put up a determined fight, the advanced Star League-era equipment used by the Comstar forces more than made up for their lack of practical combat experience, especially against the low-technology aerospace fighters of the Taurians. The battle lasted just under an hour, with only three deaths in the ComStar forces. The Taurians sent several messages requesting that the mysterious white attackers identify themselves, but the ComStar commander ignored the attempts at communication. He quickly recovered the dead pilots and turned his attention to the battlecruiser.

The remaining fighters strafed and bombed the antique Tripitz, blasting the ship until it was no more than a charred hulk in a decaying orbit. After recharging their JumpShip, the ComStar Guards departed the isolated system, leaving only the Taurian recovery crew as witnesses to the entire event.

Rhobot Mk. II fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 16, 2012

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Wow, that thing is going to run super hot. Doesn't the stock Cicada actually have medium lasers in the arms and a small laser in the torso, so it would be designed to have energy weapons fitted like that? Probably two medium lasers is more thematic but the heat burden would be intolerable.

It'll run super hot if I elect to alpha, for sure. However, If I opt to fire either the PPC or the lasers only, it'll be fine.

I'd like to swap the weapons in the configuration you suggest as with the stock Cicada but there are specific rules for field refits, which is outlined in a book called Strategic Operations.

For a Class A field refit that requires no repair facilities, you can only swap similar class weapons, with the same number of crits and tonnage, in the same slots. (IE Medium Laser for ER medium laser.)

For a Class B refit, you can swap weapon classes with the same number of crits/tons, in the same critical slots, which is what I did.

In order to fit weapons into new slots, add heatsinks (like I originally wanted to do), or change armor allocation, you'd need a Class C refit, which requires a mech gantry or a maintenance facility. That's not a field refit, which is what PTN gave me.

PTN is throwing me a huge bone, so I'm sticking to the rules for a field refit, and keeping it nice and fluffy. That means I have 3 critical slots to work with, and two tons of weight. Keeping the small lasers keeps it thematic in that it keeps the original weapons profile, the medium laser is an afterthought because I can't throw in another heat sink.

I'll cook, but it's the only refit that makes sense other than using flamers. I considered slotting them in, but we already have two mechs with flamers, and I don't think they'd be any more useful to the team. Giving the Cicada a close-in capacity in case someone gets in under my minimum range with the PPC with a damage output similar to the PPC makes the configuration a logical choice.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Orders are in!

Let's do this :c00l:

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

Sair posted:

Turn 4, Cicada eats a gauss and disintegrates.

ZeeToo posted:

Turn 3, Cicada gets headcapped

Boy are you two going to be disappointed!

I'm probably going out on Turn 2. :smith:

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Turn 1 critical hit, nice!

Edit: Update delayed because lpix is undergoing maintenance and the map's too big for a less awesome source.

:ohdear:

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
I see a wonderful opportunity to re-introduce some justice foot back into the thread :c00l:

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

jng2058 posted:

I'm going with this being a ROM op. In the regular continuity, when ROM hit the NAIS under Myndo's orders false-flagged as Liao's Death Commandos, they had the same auto-self destruct systems running.

Now, whether or not the ROM team is acting under Primus Tiepolo's orders or, as with Myndo pulling the rug out from under him in the regular storyline someone taking orders from the Blakes is running the op remains to be seen. But dollars to donuts that's Comstar trained an equipped ROM agents in those very explodey 'mechs.

I find this extremely credible as well. Comstar tactical doctrine emphasizes surprise, the use of hasty ambushes and extensive use of electronic warfare. We've seen all three here.

1)A hasty ambush executed by a mech force expecting and awaiting contact.
2)The ambush takes place on terrain of their choice which emphasises their electronic warfare advantage in sorting through the magnetic anomalys.
3)A deployment of a demi-company consistent with a Level II of six mechs, split into two formations designed to quickly overwhelm numerically superior but technologically inferior opfor.

These tactics are way, way, way too complex and nuanced for even the smartest Lyran low-ranking officer to execute, it's gotta be ROM.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

Affi posted:

I'm leaning heavily towards Amaris is incontrol of this alternate universes "blakists" and has comstar infiltrated to a high degree. This is very worrying because if Comstar still has their secret fleet then I bet you Amaris has a small fleet of warships of his own.

I'll laugh really hard if the Taurian Concordat has to come to the rescue of the Inner Sphere, since at this point in time, they control the only active warship in non-clan, non-comstar/Wobbie hands.

The poor old TCV New Vandenburg, a Vincent Mk 39 is currently chilling in an asteroid field in the Hyades cluster.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

drat, the communication this match is really telling, it's like watching a bunch of `Mechs in parade formation.

I may have to introduce some chaos little earlier than I was expecting.

:f5: Oh god.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Orders are in!

I just got finished reading the Wars of Reaving sourcebook.

Vlad continues to be :clint: and it really does neatly wrap up the Homeworld clans as a future threat to the Inner Sphere.

The amount of foreshadowing in the book about the vast numbers of orphaned clanned stragglers in the deep periphery really does open up a lot of great conspiracy angles with WoB and the future Republic.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

The real reason the WoR needed to happen is that there were simply way too many goddamn Clans and a lot of them were so gimmicky that it made no sense they still existed (CIH, CFM for example). Housecleaning was needed.

Which was great. I especially enjoyed watching CIH live up to their Clan reputation for being retarded.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Alright, orders are in, update will be soon (60-90 minutes unless something comes up), and the players have hit upon the winning strategy.

Time to withdraw and introduce the Assault lance.

This is gonna be :black101: when I do an 11 hex charge into the back of an assault mech.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

M4 Cicada
- Torso twists to threaten hex 0310!
- Fires PPC at A2 Commando (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 11, hit Rear Center Torso (0/4 armor, 2/8 structure remains)! Critical chance!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 11!

A2 Commando
- Critical chance in Center Torso! No critical hits sustained!

Can a brother get a critical hit here? :downsgun:

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

Since I keep forgetting how much stuff costs in C-Bills, did you mean that it's way too little money for something so high-value as stealing a jumpship, or that it's just way too little money in general?

Yeah, here's the price of a Merchant Class Jumpship on Sarna: 384,711,675 C-Bills

That's a piece of poo poo, btw.

A star lord, an actually nice jumpship runs for 750,000,000 C-Bills.

He asked for the equivalent cost of stocking the jumpship with toilet paper for a year in exchange for stealing one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
:ohdear: I hope I didn't step on anything.

• Locked thread