Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have enough surprises in store for you in this fight that you don't really need to worry too much about blundering into an Atlas. If I pull too many punches, things'll be boring.

I'm surprised nobody's done a tactical analysis of the J. Edgar yet.

I think it's the name. J. Edgar "Hover" is a tragic, tragic pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Zaodai posted:

Nice shooting exposing the right leg on that Dragon.

If you guys break the duel with the Dragon now, you're double pussies. :colbert:

Also, one of our other mechs should definitely challenge the Hussar to a duel. Maybe PTN will give you a bonus on determining if he accepts or not if you make your orders with a suitably smack-talkish challenge. =P

If nothing else, if he refuses he still looks like a coward in front of his (currently) living lancemates and it will demoralize the rest of the company (which we will probably be facing in future missions) to know they got their poo poo doubly wrecked by the Hounds.

I like this plan. What else is there to do with a cardboard cutout stereotype but enjoy it?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Mukaikubo posted:

What do you think the chances are that MW5 will *actually* limit itself to the few weapons available at Tech level 1, and resist the urge to splurge in later stuff? I would like to hope that we'll get a faithful 3025-era game, but in this day and age I can't help but think that's a silly dream.

MW2:Mercenaries was a pretty good example of a Level 1 game, I thought. When you start, you basically only have Level 1 equipment, and modifying mechs is expensive.

Sure, you end up getting some Level 2 stuff thrown in there as time goes on, and finally clan tech, but I thought it made sense and worked well.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's only unstoppable because nobody's fired a single shot at it yet.

This must be how the "Phantom Mech" phenomenon works in the novels.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

You totally need to read the Warrior Trilogy. It's totally :wtc: what Morgan pulls.

Twice.

I bought and read the first book, but never managed to get my hands on the next two. I've wanted to read them ever since... do you know if anyone's still selling them?

E: Well, they're in the mail now... time to see if they're as silly as the first one.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 1, 2011

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Rivensteel posted:

Have you ever had yourself checked for red-green color blindness?

Just to support Slaapaav - I have, and my colour vision is perfect. Purple on green just is hard on the eyes.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Longinus00 posted:

Lord Macaulay completes his epic history:
'The MOST POWERFUL Successor States in the Galaxy'
1. The Glorious State of the Federated Suns
2. The Great State of the Lyran Commonwealth
3. The Fine State of the Free Worlds League
4. The Mediocre State of the Draconis Combine
5. The Pathetic State of the Capellan Confederation

1. Protagonist faction
2. Married to the protagonist faction
3. The other white faction
4. Didn't lose as much as the Capellan Confederation in the 4th succession war
5. Capellan Confederation

I don't know enough BT lore to comment more than this: I think that Marik is way, way too high on this list. Better than Kurita? I doubt it.

I'd say, perhaps:

Davion is more powerful than Steiner and Kurita, and those two are more powerful than Marik or Liao. Can't really put good reasons behind it, though.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Well, ain't that a kick in the head? :haw:

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

Also at least one thing specifically stated to be okay in the Conventions will get you executed straight away nowadays.

Out of curiosity, exactly what would that be?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Bonus Update: Let's Play Battletech!

Hey, remember when I mentioned bonus content?

Haha, Battletech for the Sega Genesis - what a game...

Voting B and voting SC, because I want to see more enjoyable heat management shenanigans in the future.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Though I'm not an expert at this game, I think it's obvious that the difference between victory and defeat in this map will be keeping the second star in reserve as long as possible.

If I were in their situation, here's what I'd do:

1. Whittle the first star down to one or two 'Mechs as quickly as possible; then
2. Drag my heels on the last 'Mechs, firing only the perfunctory minimum shot or two to maintain (the appearance of) honour.
3. Try to stay at long range to minimize damage.
4. On about turn 18, destroy the last 'Mech from the first star to claim a partial victory.

Although the Clanners would eventually get wise to this, it would buy us some time. I'd try to stay back in the area of the buildings - there are some serious short-range bruisers here, and Clanners have better aim and better range anyway.

When the second star came into play, I guess I'd have to check to see how much time was left as I considered whether to try to keep things 1v1 or take down 'Mechs as they popped out from behind buildings with massed alpha-strikes. Maybe start 1v1, and use that as a strategem to get the 'Mechs into flanking positions. Shame that this is an assault lance and consequently would have trouble with the maneuvering.

What would be ideal is if the IS 'Mechs and the dropships could be used as a pincer maneuver on the second star at the ideal time after they moved to engage, but that would be risky. Some of the bigger guns on dropships, though, should be able to blow clean through the rear armour on these 'Mechs. Opinions?

Getting twenty turns is probably doable with discipline, inflexible opponents, and a bit of luck. It wouldn't be a very fun mission if it were completely impossible. This is hardly a cakewalk, though - we're talking about an assault lance against a full binary that includes an assault star. In a straight-up fight, it'd be a slaughter.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 26, 2011

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

For the sake of simplicity, I think it'd be easiest just to use the Clan designations.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

And I'm not sure this was mentioned: Not only are their 'Mechs better... so are their pilots. 3/4 vs. 4/5 'Mechwarriors are a massive advantage.

So, let's recap:

1. You're outnumbered 5:2;
2. The enemy 'Mechs are superior to yours in every way; and
3. The enemy pilots are better than yours.

So yeah, if we see twenty turns, I'd be very impressed! I knew that Clan 'Mechs were better, but it's been years since I played P&P - I had forgotten just *how* much better they were than Level 1 IS technology.

Double heat sinks are just the beginning. Extra-light engines, ferro fibrous armour, and endo-steel internals combine with double heat sinks to make an average Clan Mech almost unbelievably superior to an early IS design*. Add on the fact that the weapons manage to shoot farther and hit harder while simultaneously being smaller, lighter and more efficient, and you get something that is just plain unfair.

*Until you head up into the higher weight categories where criticals actually become an issue, these basically count as free tons and free heat.

E: When I was first introduced to CBT, we almost exclusively drove Level 2 Clan Mechs. There was a period where medium-weight pulse laser boats equipped with targeting computers were very, very scary. Trying Level 1 stuff out was certainly an adjustment!

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 28, 2011

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Mukaikubo posted:

At this point I'm starting to get an Adagio for D Minor music vibe from Samantha's repeated attempts to get up and keep fighting a superior force, in a fire, when she's the last (as far as she knows) member of her unit, all to buy time for someone else to leave... it's a pretty damned cinematic fight, win or lose.

A bit less Adagio for D Minor and a bit more Adagio for Strings, I should think...

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Ah, hell, why not? A

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Zaodai posted:

Nothing could live up to the hype the REDACTED are getting, but that doesn't mean they won't still come as a bit of a surprise when they're unleashed. I mean, there's only so much it could be. You know it's not nukes, or tentacle rape monsters. That pretty much leaves one thing.

Nuclear powered tentacle rape monsters.

You heard the man. House Kurita? Stay the gently caress away from those guys.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Mukaikubo posted:

Like you would even notice if I had not pointed it out. :v:

It is not unusual to omit contractions in writing.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Narsham posted:

Is not it?

What happens to Clan cheerleaders who accidentally let slip a contraction, a Trial of Punctuation?

A Trial of Punctuation would bring a new meaning to the term, "Circle of Equals."

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

I'm going to vote D as well.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

I would indeed be evil enough to do that to you.

There's really only one acceptable response to that possibility:

:aaaaa:

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Polaron posted:

And yet it's still enough to apparently turn Earth into a utopia and be able to field the most technologically advanced military outside of the Clans.

It's kind of like stock arbitrage. The returns are tiny, but the invested cash is so huge that you end up with a ton of money anyway.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

Really their profit margin is whatever they want it to be. They adjusted transmission rates sneaking for years to try and depress the economies of the IS and manipulate the strengths of their relative currencies. Only the LC has shown any resilience to it at all.

Could well be. I don't know much about ComStar fluff.

I was just trying to say that having a small profit margin doesn't mean that you're not making mad bank anyway.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

I expect that the Lyrans will have absolutely no difficulty believing that this raid is genuine. Massive fireballs should serve as an excellent distraction from Aldo Clovis Lestrade's disappearance - if, indeed, that was part of the original plan!

E: Whoops, got my Lestrades confused.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 19, 2011

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Huh. Now that's interesting. Something's definitely up with the building. Now should the Jav blow it the hell up or run away so there's something that the Home Guard can investigate? And was the mission a cover for destroying the building anyway if Heimdall was infiltrated?

The Javelin should continue attacking, and shooting at, the building. When it goes, it'll do forty damage, right? So it's imperative to get the structure of the building down under 40. That way, he can die and bring the team over the limit, hopefully, at the same time.

Also, it's about time this thread went gold!

E: That's a good point; is there a way to walk over to the far hex of the building and explode there?
vvvv

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

I have no opinions on the player MVP. The players each died with incredible style. Incinerated in a suicidal jump from an exploding refinery? Check. Dying in a fireball in a last, desperate attempt to perform a kamikaze death-from-above attack on a train? Check. Crushed by a skyscraper that he managed to trick the Home Guard into blowing up for him? Check. Even the poor dude in the Commando managed to perform the most memorable party-crashing Tharkad is likely to see in generations.

There's pretty much no way that this team could have been any more awesome.

Home Guard MVP: The Home Guard didn't inspire me this round, but I'm going to have to nominate the tank that died in the refinery explosion. Why? Because some of the awesome may have rubbed off on it.

Loki MVP: Whomever it was that managed to hack into Heimdall's comms. Barring that? The collapsing skyscraper, or maybe the statue of Duke Lestrade.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 20, 2011

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Going with A, Helm. Because why not?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Somehow, the missions keep getting more awesome. It'll be good to see what kind of 'Mechs that the clans are bringing to this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

I can't help but think that, in this circumstance, it might be better to challenge the Clanners to single combat. You might be able to request a "fair fight" without interruptions - i.e. one that allows for you a bit of a sporting chance to get into range.

• Locked thread