Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I vote for the Lyrian Commonwealth.

I'd like to be a 'Mechwarrior, too. You should still have my e-mail address from the Star Trekkin' thing.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I guess you must have missed when I edited in a 'Mech pilot request to my post on the second page.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Would it be possible to bluff them into an awkward position by pretending to go along with the duel? Either way, I don't suppose lying to their faces would hurt.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Voting A. Goddamn this thread moves fast.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Miller's Marauders sounds like fun, if voting is still possible.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I will try and do the name of skinwalker proud.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

They called him crazy. Skinwalker. More wolf than man. It hardly made him the center of attention at the canteen, but that suited Bobby just fine. Sensing more than seeing the enemy draw near, Navajo Wolf decided to activate his secret weapon.

"Music. Select Playlist. War Mix. Play."

A grin most observers would deem "lupine" creeped over his face.

Music for the round: The Cage

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also, still waiting on contact information for Bobbin Threadbare, which is fine since I have another back to back (come home, sleep six hours, go straight back to work) shift so I won't be able to do an update tonite (sorry). I need that contact info, or the next guy on the list will get the spot.
Just sent you an email. I work full time, so you can't expect to hear from me for fairly big segments of the day.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Polaron posted:

Oh good, Bobbin has arrived.

So, I'm thinking you and I need to link up on the right hand side of the map and push upwards, where we can hopefully take out those two separated from the herd while we get supporting fire from the longer-ranged Mechs. We can basically force any enemies we commit to a close-range duel to have to turn their backs on one of us or turn around to fight us and expose their rear armor to the rest of our team.

Thoughts?

Looking at our speeds, it seems like I'll be the one doing the flanking, which, given my armor, seems fine by me. I'm sent in my orders, and I like to think I'm doing my best to piss off the enemy.

vvvvvvv Bait? I think their plan just wound up scuttled when Wolf & Pals decided to let the LRMs do the negotiating.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 4, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm thinking of running forwards 9, and unloading everything into the enemy blackjack. Good idea/bad idea?
I believe the initial idea is to draw out some of their forces into our crossfire, rather than the other way around. Besides, you'll need to watch out for too much heat if you want to do everything every round.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

"Joe [Red_Mage], you're better at bullshit. Challenge their leader to a duel, see if he's dumb enough to answer. I wanna know who to alpha strike."

Music for the round: Nightmare

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xmas Future posted:

These are the Death Commandos, they're currently executing women and children, honourable combat is not their MO.

Every company is infected with hot shots. And what's the point of open com channels if not to play mind games with the enemy?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Pure Kamikaze posted:

I'm very sorry but this is the music that is playing for the round.

Badass

Don't worry, there are many rounds to come yet.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Holy goddamn, that sure was something.

Music for the round: Pistolero (Mariachi mix)

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 8, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

hcenvirons posted:

So how useful would something like the Scout Company be when it shows up?

Depends on if they can trundle into that transport that's showing up next round. Looking at their stats, they do tremendous damage, but only if they manage to get to dangerously close range. And of course what's stopping that is just how slowly they move. Hell, that's probably why Poptarts is making them show up late to the party in the first place.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Still waiting on a turn 3 action. Please stand by.

I sent in my final decision, if that's what you're waiting on.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Honestly, I should have popped Eights to Aces last turn so I could make use of it now. I had this crazy idea where I would jump on him.

Still, in honor of the ability I'm using next round, the Music of the Round is: The Ace of Spades.

Polaron, Red_Mage, if either of you want to get this guy off my back, I would really appreciate it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

Why engage? If you jump up to something like 1814, you'll leave the Cataphract way behind and out of position, he'll have to leave some forces behind other than the SRM Carrier, and you'll be able to influence events at the target much sooner. You might end up fighting the Warhammer, but that'll be much easier than brawling with the Ace.

The Cat has yet to move, and the skill won't take effect this round. If I jumped there, I would get mauled.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Only if he turns and comes into the woods after you, I think, which draws him out of the fight, and even then he's looking at big numbers. 9s at least, not counting PPC minimums. Next turn, if you continue up into the clearing, you'll be far out of his reach due to blocked LOS.

If he comes into the woods and gets another round like he just did, he takes me out of the fight, too, which I'd rather avoid. No, I think I'd rather draw him into my allies, if he's that bold.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Well, assuming an average soldier weight of 150 pounds carrying 30-50 pounds of equipment, 1 ton of soldier would be between 10-11 men. That's more of a squadron size, so 3 tons for a platoon sounds more realistic.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Thank you everyone for your tactical advice. I have decided to do the most Cabellero thing. I'm taking all the advice, printing each one off ona sheet of paper, and taping it to my wall. Then I shall drink enough tequila to make me in a happy place, bust out my nerf vulcan, and shoot at the wall. Whichever piece of advice has the msot dart impacts will be the one I choose.

Don't forget to fire wildly into the air in celebration once you're done.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Quick question: so K3, which is in the middle of the map, is carrying S3, which will be arriving in 3 turns? Also, am I the one giving orders to K3?

Tempest, bunnyofdoom, it looks like D3 (the Cataphract ace) has decided to make himself your problem instead of ours. You should make good use of my Eights to Aces and scatter his 'mech to the four winds.

Music of the Round: Fuel

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Typo, fixed. K3 is being piloted by one of Scout Platoon, yes, but it's not under your control.
Well, kindly tell the pilot that the platoon should probably go flank the SRM carrier.

Red_Mage, it looks like your tech platoon and Polaron should press forward while me and you start setting those tanks on fire. I've got mobility, but you've got the range thanks to those LRM's, so how about I handle V2 and you take V3?

Polaron, I seem to recall that splitting your targets in a round adds a penalty to all your shots, and your gunnery skill isn't very terrific. Unless it's directly life-threatening, I don't think you should be splitting your targets. And as I've pointed out before, I think the Cataphract is the most dangerous enemy on the board, so if Sure Shot, gently caress You, and Stubby were to focus on him while we all know where he'll be, we might just get a lucky shot in.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Red_Mage posted:

If I could close range on that cataphract it would be nice.

He's in medium range for you; just a few steps to the left would put you in short range for the LRM's. But as much as I've been pumping up the Cat, it's not the only dangerous thing on the map, and if three of the others are going to dogpile it, we should consider our options.

Oh, and if you're going to close range, please move to 1320 instead of 1220; I'm going to run for the divot to get some cover.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I can handle the Zhukov, bunny. You worry about the Cat.

Polaron posted:

I would appreciate it if someone would kill that Zukov before it decides to shoot me. Not only is it right in my face but it's keeping me from closing to point-blank range with the Cataphract.
You're twisted left, correct? I think you can reach 1217 if you run, and then you'd be out of the Zhukov's firing arc with a great shot at the Cat.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

I suck at measuring ranges then, cause d3, which is the cat, seems to be more than 4 away...
You are looking at the black D3, right? Poptarts mentions just below the image that the black one is where he's at right now, and since I used the ability that drops his initiative, he basically got to move twice. Anyway, even if it were 5 squares, most of your weapons would still hit him at short range. I'd just recommend against firing everything so you have a chance to cool down.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Abandoning the superior cover of heavy woods without accumulating a movement modifier to be hit is not advisable.

Putting Bobbin in a hole as deep as his Mech is pretty funny, though.

So funny I couldn't fire out of it. I figure at my speed I could still manage a walk to 0919 and unload from there, so that's what I'll do.

Music of the Round: You didn't think I'd forget this one, did you?

And may I add how that was an excellent use of the Eights to Aces skill.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 17, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Tempest, it would be great if you could get your invisible snipers to help me start mauling I2 and I4.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

That was absolutely my plan. Concentrate fire on which one this turn?

I2, but I'm given to understand extra damage may splash to I4 as well.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Whelp, I'm basically out of armor. If none of you folks mind, I think Skinwalker and I will be staying back and finishing off V3 there. Meanwhile, I think S2 will be taking on V1, so that I4 infantry is all yours, Tempest. That or you could start picking off I1. bunnyofdoom, if you move S1 this turn, I think you've got just enough range to use the booby trap ability on I4.

And remember, even in dire circumstances, never forget the feel of victory! Music of the Round: 40:1

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm thinking of moving to 312, blasting D2 in the rear end, then followed up by a kick. Ideas?

Looks like you've got enough speed to make it to 0411 and hit him square in the back.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

He could, but he'd run to do it. Getting to the side would only have him walk, I believe.

Well, it's up to Bunny whether or not the extra difficulty is worth the better profile.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

S3 will be dealing with I3, no worries there. As for Sw, I'm getting a rules clarification before anything.

Music for the Round: Get Ready to Die. I always enjoy it when lyrics match up so well with the situation.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Update: thanks to V3's position it looks like I cannot move anywhere where the large tank can't fire on me. I guess I'll just have to hope he chooses a closer target, because Bobby is not one to play things safe.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: As a sidenote, the update is waiting on a player since two of them tried to move into the same hex with the same idea (kick the Goblin). I decided to let the 'Mech with the weight advantage take the hex.

Right, I see. New orders have been sent in.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Someone else can finish off the Goblin, I'm going to take up a forward position. And if I may say so, I apparently have the most awesome infantry on the board.

Music of the Round, in Engine Joe's honor: Knights of Cydonia (also featuring what may be the most masculine music video ever)

Poptarts, if I might ask, how come D1 didn't get a penalty for splitting his shots?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Just so you guys know, I'll be making full use of S3's "double damage if in the same hex" rule next turn.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Then I'll provide cover by punting the APC. Also, will laser it too.
Pick your position carefully. Combat is simultaneous, so make sure you're not turning your back on the Zhukov. Your Lancelot is speedy enough that it can move adjacent to the APC while still facing the tank, and all those trees should keep the 'mechs off our backs for the time being.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Slaan posted:

Who is the true coward? Those who kill non-combatants (though La Dama's mouth should count as a WMD), or those who left them to die in the first place? :china:

Aesop's Fables posted:

A trumpeter, bravely leading on the soldiers, was captured by the enemy. He cried out to his captors, "Pray spare me, and do not take my life without cause or without inquiry. I have not slain a single man of your troop. I have no arms, and carry nothing but this one brass trumpet." "That is the very reason for which you should be put to death," they said; "for, while you do not fight yourself, your trumpet stirs all the others to battle."
Don't sell yourself short. :colbert:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Magni posted:

Or rush him with Skinwalker or Sir gently caress You and commence Operation Curbstomp. Good maneuvering means you can enter its hex and be safe from 60 SRM to the face. 12 armor all-around and no turret, so kicking is going to hurt this little bugger pretty darn fast.

The real trouble is what happens at middle to long range. The SRM carrier is undoubtedly going to fire at any target it can aim for, and with so many SRM's it basically can't miss. It's dead if we get a 'mech on top of it, but the real trouble is making sure the 'mech isn't dead first. I think me and Bunny will have to rush it from different directions simultaneously if we're going to have a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Well, I was considering holding back a bit to wait for everyone else to catch up, but if FY is going for it, I sure as hell will, too. I'll be very careful to stay out of the launcher's way, so you can probably guess where exactly I'm moving.

Music of the Round Dick Dale's Misirlou

Poptarts, did you catch that we should be down to 5 I4 infantry?

• Locked thread