Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Sign me up! Has been years since I last played some Battletech. I'd also be willing to play a tanker, if you need one. My e-mail: REDACTED

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, AC/2s are silly weapons, but if you take a big enough mech and just mount a shitton of them, you get the whole MG effect going on - but at ridiculous ranges. :black101:

And that's why the Partisan version with 5 AC/2s is actually useable, if only in a niche role. That being that it can really gently caress up VTOLs and flyers. Eh, and I guess shredding infantry platoons from halfway across the map. So, it actually does exactly what a mobile AA vehicle is supposed to. Blessed be flak and flechette ammo.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I tohught we were all going to cycle out after 1 mission anyway.

That, or Poptarts could actually be writing down an OOB for the regiment, which we're not even close to filling currently. (Common IS structure is 4 Mechs per lance, 3 lances per company. A battalion is three companies plus command lance and a Regiment three Battalions plus command element, commonly ranging from another lance to another company. So, 124-132 Mechs overall.)

Magni fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Base gunnery 2?

Wow, we've got a real sniper there. :eek:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah, but our esteemed host pointed out to me last time (when I tried to get the spider in the back) that the torso rotation happens in the shooting phase, so it's possible the hussar could turn his back plates away from me.

Unless I'm completely wrong, torso rotation only affects your own shooting arcs and has no effect on incoming fire. So yeah, if you're behind him, you're going to nail him in the rear armor.

Some problems: The Hussar is K1 and your jump ends 4 hexes away, meaning all your shots would be mid range. Add the Hussars movement and the forest cover and you're unlikely to do much from there. Additionally, firing an alpha-strike after maximum jump in this round would leave you with 17 heat. Thatmeans that there's a chance of your Mech going into auto-shutdown. You'll also lose two more MP and take a huge hit to gunnery, rendering you de facto useless in the next round. And even if you're standing perfectly still next round, you won't be able to shed enough heat to get rid of all penalties.

Magni fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 27, 2011

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Pladdicus posted:

Can someone explain the rules for falling/getting back up? That or, someone this turn can give me orders and I'll use them.

Once a Mech goes down, he falls into a randomised direction and takes it's own tonnage/10 damage, which is distributed in 5-point groupings that are rolled like incoming fire from the side it's fallen on. Additionally, the pilot has to pass a piloting skill roll or suffer one point of injury. (The more injury points a pilot suffers, the more likely he is to go unconscious. 6 injury points and he's dead.)

Standing up prevents you from running or jumping, costs 2 MP and requires you to pass a PSR. You can automatically choose your desired facing upon standing up for no cost. If you fail the PSR, you just fall down again. Yes, lovely pilots can literally kill themselves trying to stand up.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Gothsheep posted:

I thought the Jihad was about trying to return the world to the dark age of technology where ComStar was the only one that could produce advanced tech, and take over that way.

Short version: The Wobbies were about to get a seat in the new Star League and were hoping to "restore the glorious days of yore" by kicking the crap out of the CLans with their secret army followed by getting their "rightful place" as the power behind the throne for the new Star League.

Then the new Star League disbanded just after they were admitted membership. From that point on, what the Wobbies did was basically like a 5-year-old who goes on a rampage because you didn't give him his cookies. The more sane parts of the WOB might have come up with such plans while doing that, but at its heart, the Jihad was basically a bunch of religious extremists with a lot of firepower throwing a hissy fit at everyone for ruining their prophetic destiny.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

El Spamo posted:

Sorry to drag the machine gun ammo explosion issue up again, but would it really negatively impact the game that much to house-rule (y'know, with everyone playing's consent) in that MG ammo doesn't explode? It gets hit, becomes useless, finito. I've been gnawing on the idea of hooking my friends into playing battletech so that little change might be something to propose.

As an alternative, you could try the house rule used by my gaming circle: Anyone loading ammo into his Mech can deliberately decide to not carry the maximum amount into combat. You can decide to just take, say, 20 shots of MG ammo into the battle. Shouldn't exactly be a problem from a fluff standpoint to have the techs only load the bin partially.

Note that the reduced damage from ammo explosion is the only advantage this will offer to you. No putting other equipment into the Mech or mixing differrent ammo types in the same bin or similar bullshit.

Oh, and nice knowing you, Pladdicus. :gibs:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
My MVP votes go to the Griffin and the Kurita Dragon for doing double duty as a submarine. I can only imagine a goddamn furious Tai-i still sitting in the cockpit, unable to vent his rage because his Mech is resting at the botton of the drat river.

As for the next game, I'm voting for y Caballeros de Coronel Carlos Camacho vs the Death Commandos. Because Camacho's Cabballeros kicking Cappellans is just awesome.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Our entire lance is gonna be 0/8 :3:

At least the Stingers can do handstands and poo poo.

Clearly, the way to victory is to run circles around our enemies and punch and kick them into submission! :black101:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

No, YOU shut up!!!!!

Is it wrong that this made me laugh like hell? Seriously this should be the (un)official motto of the Free Worlds League.

On another note: It's just too bad that there's pretty much no chance to display Cassie "I'm a footsoldier who kills Mechs as a hobby" Suthorn in the game rules in any reliable way. PBI outside blind fighting rules are basically only good as living area denial, unfortunately.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

Also, I am curious, if we had selected the GDL what kind of scenario would we have gotten?

A nice little stomp on some poor pirate schmucks under Redjack Ryan. Well, until 5 or so turns in. Then all hell breaks loose.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
drat you for putting up Miller's Marauders as an option. I'm still staying with my vote for the Caballeros. :ese:

WarLocke posted:

I like Marauders too, but having your entire unit consisting of 4/6/0 (or slower - do Marauder IIs exist yet?) mechs with no jumping capability is rather... not a good composition against the Clans.

The Marauder II is a Blackwell design made specifically by and for Wolf's Dragoons. It's rather unlikely that there will ever be a Marauder II in this TL.

@Longinus: The OTL Death Commmandos got utterly trashed in the 4th Succession War. They IIRC did start it as two battalions. Then came Kathil and Morgan Hasek-Davion defeating a raid by them by turning the microwave stations powering the Kathil shipyards up to the FRY DROPSHIPS level. What few Death Commandos reached the ground after that found themselves at the receiving end of rather unfavourable odds and got ground into paste by simple numerical superiority.

According to PTNs last post, they're sending one battalion at the 17th Recon, which means 3:1 odds for the Caballeros.

Magni fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 2, 2011

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

When you put it that way, I really have a hard time understanding why the Davions were the heroes of that story.

"Biggest guy beats the poo poo out of smallest guy and every tricky maneuver they attempt fails horribly" is not a good story.

Eh, Battletech has always been shades of gray. And when it comes down to it, Max Liao did give Hanse more than enough reasons to go to town on the Confederation. Hanse Davion is a de facto dictator, but he's a pretty darn benevolent one. Max Liao and Takashi Kurita rate a whole lot worse than that.

@Longinus: They don't. The map PTN posted in the OP is pre-4th SW.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Ah, okay, so basically "a wizard did it" and they're not even trying to keep things realistic. Sure, why the gently caress not?

So what's exactly unrealistic about the hidden worlds? Space is bloody big. Someone finding a suitable rock and establishing a colony without ever telling anyone isn't exactly a stretch. Especially if that someone stems from pretty much the only group left that does any actual exploring because everyone else trashed their fleets to the point where they can't afford it.

Hell, the Star League left tons of secret installations behind all over the IS and Periphery thanks to their paranoia about mankind nuking itself completely back to the stone age.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I can't understate just how much I love the Wolverine-6M. Imo the best heavy scout/raider Mech in 3025. Good armour, 5/8/5 movement, decent armament for the role and enough heatsinks to not get hot all the time. Also the best Wolverine variant. (The -6R trades has less armor and only one medlaser, an AC/5 and the SRM6, which means it has laughable firepower for a 55-tonner. The -6K trades in the Jump Jets for a small laser, another heatsink and a bit more armor, which imo isn't worth losing jump capability by a long shot.)

As for the inferno shots, you could alternatively use them against some cappie PBI that's not with the hostages. A hit from that is pretty much going to fry an entire platoon of the bastards in one go.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Short summaries:

WHM-6L Warhammer
Tonnage: 70
Movement: 4/6/0
Armor: 10 tons
Heat Dissipation: 18/turn

Weapons:
2 PPCs. Damage 10, Heat 10, 6/12/18 (minimum 3)
2 medium lasers. Damage 5, Heat 3, 3/6/9
2 small lasers. Damage 3, Heat 1, 1/2/3
1 SRM6. Damage 2-12, Heat 4, 3/6/9 [15 shots]
2 Flamers. Damage 2, Heat 3, 1/2/3
(maximum of 38 heat for a running alpha strike)

VND-1R Vindicator
Tonnage: 45
Movement: 4/6/4
Armor: 9 tons
Heat Dissipation: 16/turn

Weapons:
1 LRM5. Damge 1-5, Heat 2, 7/14/21 (minimum 6) [24 shots]
1 PPC. Damage 10, Heat 10, 6/12/18 (minimum 3)
1 medium laser. Damage 5, Heat 3, 3/6/9
1 small laser. Damage 3, Heat 1, 1/2/3
(maximum of 20 heat with a jumping alpha strike)

CTF-1X Cataphract
Tonnage: 70
Movement: 4/6/0
Armor: 11 tons
Heat Dissipation: 16/turn

Weapons:
4 medium lasers. Damage 5, Heat 3, 3/6/9
1 PPC. Damage 10, Heat 10, 6/12/18 (minimum 3)
1 AC/10. Damage 10, Heat 3, 5/10/15 [10 shots]
(maximum of 27 heat with a running alpha)

BJ-1 Blackjack
Tonnage: 45
Movement: 4/6/4
Armor: 8.5 tons
Heat Dissipation: 11/turn

Weapons:
2 AC/2. Damage 2, Heat 1, 8/16/24 (minimum 4) [45 shots]
4 medium laser. Damage 5, Heat 3, 3/6/9
(maximum of 18 heat with a jumping alpha)

My thoughts:
That Cataphract is going to be a massive pain in the rear end. It's tough as nails and packs one hell of a punch. The Warhammer is similar, though it isn't quite as well-armored and has some heat issues. It also has two Flamers, so keep your poor footsloggers away from it (and it might try to torch the hostages!). The Vindicator has some nice long-range firepower but is a wee bit out of his league in this matchup. The Blackjack is only going to be more than a nuisance at short range and is overall your least worry.

Other than that: The Lancelot and Bobby's Wolverine can outmaneuver all of these Mechs and none of them is going to look forward to a short-range slugfest with a Hunchback, save perhaps the Cataphract. I concur on concentrating on the Warhammer if possible.

Axe-man posted:

any flame weapon is effective against infantry there is reason why flame weapons are forbidden by NATO rules and the Geneva convention don't allow the use of them. So if you want to have fun use a flamer on them you sick bastards.

That's an urban myth. For one, the Geneva Conventions only regulate proper treatment of prisoners of war. And NATO never had a ban of classic flamethrowers as much as that they became redundant on the modern battlefield. After all, nobody ever had problems with the continued use of napalm, white phosphorus and funny toys like the M202 Flash incendiary rocket launcher. Nowadys, it's getting evne more fun with thermobaric weapons. :science:

Magni fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 3, 2011

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Question: I was looking at the map, and I noticed that there was a point where all the Successor States' borders meet. What's there? Earth?

You guessed it. That's Terra right there. Currently under management of AT&T IN SPACE! ComStar. Oh, and it's the target destination of those fine people who are right now steamrolling the north edge of the IS.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Missed that part. What about the APC? I know he only listed 4 infantry units in his initial post and I don't recall seeing anything about any infantry mounting up in the APC. It just strikes me as odd that there's an APC at all but it's not being used to move troops yet.

Or it's just empty becuase there's 3 units of cappie militia standing around guarding the hostages.

That said, cooking that Goblin while the whole unit of Death Commandos is still inside would make for a fine BBQ.

Some references for the vehicles:

Goblin: 45 tons, 4/6 movement, 8 tons of armor (30 points on front & turret, 24 sides, 20 rear) and the turret is armed with a machinegun (100 shots of ammo) and a large laser. It's pretty tough, but doesn't have that much bite overall.

SRM Carrier: 60 tons, 3/5 movement, 3 tons of armor (12 points all around, no turret) and it's armed with 10(!) SRM6 in the frontal arc, with 4 tons of ammo (60 shots). Kill this thing with PPCs or LRM or Large Lasers and NEVER get close to it or it will gently caress up your poo poo. Getting 60 short-range missiles unloaded into your face is someting that makes even an assault Mech feel uneasy.

Zhukov: 75 tons, 3/5 movement, 11 tons of armor (44 points turret and front, 32 sides and 24 rear) and armed with 2 turret-mounted AC/10s with 20 shots of ammo as well as a SRM6 with 15 shots mounted in the frontal arc. Nasty customer all around.

Wheeled Heavy APC (MG variant): 20 tons, 6/9 wheeled movement (IIRC, it may not enter forests and is more susceptible to motive system damage than tracked vehicles), 3.5 tons of armor (20 front, 13 sides, 10 rear) and it's armed with 6 machineguns (2 in the front and back each and one on each side) who have 300 shots of ammo between them. It's squishy and can't really harm your Mechs. It's however pretty fast and will murder infantry.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
You should really ask PTN to specify the chances for the sniper to try and immobilise vehicles. An immobile target gives you a -4 bonus on any to hit roll against it.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

They get an automatic roll (with a -1 penalty to the dice) on the motive system damage table, but do no actual armor damage.

Okay, that's kinda useful. For reference, motive system damage is rolled as 2D6.

2-5 = no effect
6-7 = minor damage; +1 modifier to all driving skill rolls
8-9 = moderate damage; -1 cruising MP and +2 modifier on driving skill rolls
10-11 = heavy damage; - half of the original cruising MP (fractions rounded down); +3 on driving skill rolls
12+ = vehicle immobilised

The sniper gets a -1 penalty to the roll. Hitting a vehicle in the sides gives a +2 bonus, in the back a +1 bonus. Rolls against the wheeled APC gain another +2 bonus.

Given that I can't see the sniper killing off those 30-man platoons guarding the hostages, he's probably better off either spotting for LRMs or trying to gently caress up some vehicles. Prime targets for that should imo be either the APC due to being extra susceptible or the Zhukov. If you manage to immobilise a vehicle, it becomes a sitting duck you can blow to pieces pretty darn fast. (+4 bonus on your to-hit rolls if the target is immobile!)

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

And this is why you never go into point-blank range against an Atlas. He doesn't really have any reason not to punch you nad 10-damage cluster on the punch location table are BAD MOJO.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Chance II posted:

gently caress this is the best I could do. Mechs are hard to draw. No wonder they look so goofy in the source books.

This is unitentionally funny given the canon mercenary unit Reed's Brew. Yeah, that's an Atlas holding a pint of beer they have as their unit insignia. Their background is hilarious, too.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Axe-man posted:

if i remember right AP rounds auto roll for a crit or something like that but are harder to hit with.

Slightly harder to hit with, half as many shots per ton and you automatically roll for crits, but with a penalty that gets larger the smaller your autocannon is, so you're unlikely to get an AC/2-carrier to shred assault Mechs or similarily silly poo poo.

Right now, the only alternative ammo avaiable are Flak(to-hit bonus against VTOLs and flyers; damage bonus against infantry; completely useless against mechs, tanks and REDACTED) and Tracer(-1 damage, but a to-hit bonus during night combat) for autocannons. Well, those and Inferno SRM (no damage against Mechs, but each hit causes 3 points of heat; they also cause crits against vehicles and can really gently caress up infantry and REDACTED; also, Inferno SRM begin to roll for heat-induced ammo detonation earlier than other ammo).

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Pinguliten posted:

I've been doing some more research (read googling) on Battletech since that last link to the Japanese version and wel. Apparently Battletech was released in German as well. From the looks of it they almost got all of the game related books though only maybe 10 of the novels (no loss there really).

A few more, actually. I happen to own ~two dozen german BT novels that I bought in a bundle from eBay years ago. :v:

Ahh, the Urbie. Our beloved trashcan with legs aka the 30-ton assault Mech. Everybody loves Urbie. I remember someone creating a customised version that was basically a shrunk-down Imp. That was funny as hell. :allears:

Magni fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 6, 2011

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

And then there's the Urbanmech IIC, a Clan Coyote production. They made it faster!

3/5 :saddowns: :negative:

I actually did that, too, when I tried recreating the aforementioned Mini-Imp. The result is actually pretty nice, though it does require some L2 and L3 tech, so I'll spoiler it.

3/5/3 movement with a standard engine, 6.5 tons of standard armor and 10 DHS. Armament are 2 Light PPCs, 5 ER Small Lasers and a LRM5 with a single ton of CASE'd ammo. It really is like a miniature Imp. With Jump Jets. :v:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

I think the real reason is that WWII was the United States' last war. Period. Every war the United States has fought since then has really been a counter-insurgency or a punitive expedition. I'm serious about this.

Korea. :colbert:

Good parts of Vietnam, too, given that the PAVN wasn't exactly averse to jump into division+ size battles every once in a while.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Don't forget the kill em all rule.

That doesn't enter play until La Dama Muerte gets shot for yelling at the Cappies too long. And I don't think it'd work with nobody there to shoot the hostages. As I see it, the Cappies just locked the hostages in or tied them up or something to that effect and now their infantry decided to take a lok at the racket outside.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah but a glancing hit by one bullet was enough to gently caress you.

Not really unless it was a 20mm+ autocannon firing HE shells. And those commonly had even less ammo.

Pretty much every modern AFV or plane only has ammo for a few minutes (at best) of sustained fire. Thing is that you aren't ever going to expend ammo at such a rate during a real combat situation.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Axe-man posted:

Makes sense, the thing you have to worry about is that they have TAG or will use their attack round to sight for arty or lovely lovely LRMs.

TAG is LosTech right now, as are the munitions supported by it. And the only LRMs currently in the field for the Cappies is the LRM5 on the Vindicator.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Axe-man posted:

In my megamek game yesterday, I actually found most infantry to be more a sandpaper effect, and easily decimated. Muka can confirm that even swarmed he was able to pretty much ignore them as much as possible. :v: that map is a deathtrap though.

Well, yeah. Poor bloody infantry is basically only a real danger in BT games when you play with hidden unit rules and in a lot of terrain they can use to hide themselves. Without the hidden unit rules, they're mostly nice as a cheap area denial force unless your opponent brings tons of flamers and machineguns.

1-2 companies of PBI in a forest with hidden unit rules? The best bet of most Mechs is to burn down the entire forest, because trying to pinpoint the fuckers allows them to lay down some nasty fire concentrations or even start point-blank leg/swarm attacks (basically the guys running up to the Mech and starting to go at it with magnetic satchel charges; every successful leg attack automatically causes a roll for through-armor-criticals on the leg, so it can really gently caress over even assault Mechs.) Urban terrain is even worse due to the cover it gives them and because scorched earth becomes a lot more resource-intensive.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

The SRM Carrier is a problem, and prevents heedless charges into the compound proper. One of the reasons I thought Bobbin/Bobby should jump through the right-side woods is because the Wolverine is uniquely suited to killing the poo poo out of the SRM Carrier. The vehicle has no turret, and PTN loses initiative, so the Wolv would be able to jump alongside/behind it fairly easily. The Wolverine has the best anti-vehicle weapon as well, since what you want most against vehicles (besides Infernos) is multiple location rolls.

Infernos in TW aren't the insta-murder they used to be against vehicles. Nowadays, every hit by an inferno SRM simply causes a critical hit roll and nothing else. All combat vehicles also get a -2 modifier on that crit roll. IE, anything under 8+ means that the inferno attack does nothing and none of the insta-kill crits are possible at all.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Second counterpoint: Clantech is for pussies. Real men use IS equipment. :colbert:
The only Clantech you should ever use is the one you ripped out of their dead Mechs. :black101:

With IS tech, ballistic weapons very much have their niche in the higher-tech games, be it the flexible hole-making/critseeking of LB/Xs, the sheer damage spikes of Ultras and RACs or the range/damage combo of the Gauss Rifle.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Popy posted:

Putting 4 ER PPCs on a Awesome owns. I bet there has been bright young Awesome pilots who thought 3 PPCs weren't enough, and needed more. Then they end up a baked carcass in the cockpit

Well, theres's still the canon AWS-9Q. They're not ER, but 4 PPCs with 19 DHS backing them up makes it the true spiritual successor to the old classic. Putting in ECM for added survivability only sweetens the deal. That said, I'm hoping of seeing an AWS-8Q in action in the future of this thread. And for DI to write a presentation for it. No pressure. :3: It's pretty much my personal favourite Tech 1 assault Mech.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
TOO MUCH INFORMATION! :barf:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Going by the map, scout platoon has several options here.

1. Move over to 1313 and let the Death Commando infantry platoon feel some hate from point-blank. Moderate risk due to V1 and it's machineguns, though you'll have forest cover from your hex and the intervening forest and be at medium range. (Alternatively, move to 1412 and engage the DC infantry from one hex away and out of LOS from the APC.)
2. Move to 1113 and try to blow up the legs of that Warhammer. High risk move. The attack will hit on a 4+, cause 4 damage on the kicking table and cause an automatical critical hit roll. Alternatively, you could try swarming the fucker, which succeeds on a 6+ and could really gently caress him over, but it will need a miracle for your platoon to get out of that unharmed.
3. Go :happyelf: on the APC. Not my recommendation.
4. Move north through the woods towards the hostages. Will take several turns because going over open ground is a bad idea.

Magni fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 17, 2011

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Wow, a PPC hit to the cockpit that didn't kill him. That's kind of surprising. What's the effect of loss of life support in this situation? I assume it's gonna be something bad (or good, from my perspective).

Automatic injuries to the pilot if the Mech goesto 15 or more overheat or goes underwater. It's pretty much the best thing that can happen if you get critted in the Mech, given that the alternatives are sensors (massive negative to-hit modifier) or the cockpit (there goes the pilot...)

In other news: Nice shooting by Scout platoon. And that Warhammer has only 3 points of armor left on the right torso. Inside of which there are a medium laser, small laser, flamer, SRM6 and one ton of SRM ammo. That Wammy pilot should get somewhat worried right about now. His legs don't look that good, either.

@Polaron: Your ammo is in the left torso. The only thing in your right torso is your big boomstick.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I personally can't decide between the good ol' Atlas and the Marauder II, the latter mostly because of the utter sillyness/stompiness that are Barber's Marauder IIs (what Miller's Marauders became OTL).

And if we're talking about sadistic Clan techs, I can't but point at the Warhawk Prime.

Clan Tech #1: The warriors say they want their 4 ERPPCs in one Mech and they're not going to take 'No' for an answer.
Clan Tech #2: Jerks. Whatever, it's their funeral. Just make sure to install a huge, red, irresistible alpha strike button in the cockpit. :mmmhmm:

Jesus, Poptarts, that's mean. :ohdear:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Wow. The only way we'd have seen even more fire this turn would have been if the Infernos the Warhammer is toting went sympathetic. Jesus, that's one Cappie Mech-jock with a deathwish. Loading infernos in a Mech that's known for not having a gentle heat curve and which is likely to be a fire magnet.

Still, that Wammy is in trouble. It won't do poo poo this round and it's armor is down to dangerously low levels. Oh, and that lovely Inferno-SRM ammo bin has no armor protecting it anymore.

I3 needs to die. Tech platoon and/or the Scouts should murder these fucks ASAP.

The Cat is pretty much hosed, nothing left but praying for now. Smae goes for the Goblin, though, it's now a sitting duck.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

WarLocke posted:

:stare:

Yep, the Imp. The walking eggman of death.

100 tons, a class 300 engine, 2 PPCs, a LRM15 with a ton of ammo, five Medium Lasers, 18 tons of ammo and 30 heatsinks for the Level 1 version. And unfortunately, it's a Wolfs Dragoons Mech. :(

Also, there's the hilarious 'Mini-Imp'. Take one Urbanmech, upgrade it's engine to a class 90 with 10 DHS and add a third Jump Jet. Then, replace it's weaponry with 2 Light PCs, 5 ER small lasers and a LRM5 with a ton of reloads. Round up with 6.5 tons of standard armor. You even end up being able to give the LRMs some CASE in your official miniature Imp. :v:

Magni fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 23, 2011

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

30/30 heat is automatic shutdown.

There's also a really, really stupid scale that goes above 30 heat, but I ignore it because it's retarded and uses the Stackpole rule. 50 heat is an automatic engine explosion, IIRC.

Nah, the expanded heat scale goes up to 50, but 50 is now automatic shutdown, not the reactor going kaboom. Other than getting worse and worse results from the standard scale (IE; more gunnery negatives and less movement plus increasingly high chances of your ammo going up and worse rolls to avoid shutdown), it introduces two new consequences: Rolling to avoid pilot damage (unless life support is out, in which case you're hosed) and a chance to suffer automatic critical hits as parts of th Mech start giving out under the heat. What it also invents is that pilots with a good piloting skill get a bonus when rolling to avoid shutdown. In fact, the last "Roll to avoid shutdown" part of the table forces you to roll a 14+, so you better have a good pilot if you wanna g up to 50. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, it's that time of the week again. Time for me to work another back-to-back shift. I'm working on the update now, but I doubt I'll be done tonite. Sorry, everyone. :C

So, to start a new discussion: How would you personally rate the 5 successor states (Draconis Combine, Federated Suns, Lyran Commonwealth, Capellan Confederation, Free Worlds League) in order of power, and why (3025-3028 era)?

I have a writeup for the game's timeline that I'll probably be showing soon.

Personally:

1. FedSuns - competent military, healthy economy and Hanse is a force multiplier by himself
2. Shared rank by the Lyran Commonwealth and Draconis Combine - They're almost exact opposites. The Elsies have a mammoth economy but a cumbersome and often badly commanded military. The Dracs have an economy that is utter shite for the size of their realm, but the DCMS is fast, mean and competent.
3. FWL - No, YOU shut up. :v:
4. The Cappies - Still the smallest kid on the block and burdened with Mad Max.

Magni fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 25, 2011

• Locked thread