Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Voting for the Dismal Disinhereted because I am feeling particularly nihilistic today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Renaissance Spam posted:

Which is exactly why I'm staying involved, if only as an observer until I find my old BTech books.

I never owned any of the books :( But I did read a few scenario ones a friend had, and they always looked extremely awesome. How long would it take to get up to speed?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Xmas Future posted:

The best part about the cartoon is that it's canonized as a poorly reviewed propaganda cartoon series.

I actually liked the cartoon.

After the drat awful first episodes, which made me want to pour bleach into my eyes, it got sort of enjoyable.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

WarLocke posted:

That was MechWarrior: Dark Ages, which is related to BattleTech in that it takes place in the same universe, but about 80 years after all the fluff. They basically rebooted everything, and rules-wise it's almost entirely a new game.

Edit: It was made by WizKids, who bought the IP after FASA went bankrupt. They didn't really have an interest in keeping on making BattleTech as it was, so they retooled it to be more like their other clicky games (Mage Knight, I think they had the superhero clicky game too, etc). I think FanPro eventually got the rights for the old rules (as opposed to the universe) and that's why you can still get new 'Classic BattleTech' stuff? I might have some of that wrong.

Edit #2: Basically, Dark Ages is to BattleTech as JJTrek is to Star Trek.

A very apt description (it is basically garbage).

Well actually it's just kinda uninspiring and while it had a cool idea it ended up being somewhat difficult to get excited about it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Of all the things to find while rummaging, I got a hold of a loaned out and then completely forgotten about Armageddon 2089 book.

To be fair, it's actually pretty fun. But trying to learn two different systems and universes at the same time is a bit too confusing for my tastes :/

Finally got Mek working properly again, so I might be doing a few trial matches in the future.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Join me, then, in championing the cause of Caesar Steiner and the 2nd Donegal Guard. The Unwearied Second shall carry the Rightful Archon to deliver a message to the whole of the Sphere with a victory. With solidarity, we shall triumph, for it is together... TOGETHER, that we prevail!

Wait, against? Why would you ever want to fight on any side but for the awesome Jade Falcon clan?

Why can't those guys be protagonists for once? (Aside from that making it too easy for most match-ups. Unless you heavily crippled their forces due to a botched drop or something) .

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Well they've got genetic superiority as a redeeming quality. Nothing bad ever comes from claiming genetics as an advantage over your opposition.

Oh, right. :hitler:

Actually, after the first waves of clan wars were over, the Inner Sphere sent some bastich half-rear end diplomat over in a short story to evaluate and examine the clans and their culture (I don't remember what book or supplement that was from).

He essentially looked down his nose at absolutely everything and somehow made the clans look great in comparison.

Also what's wrong with enjoying a bit of random mayhem and looting against , say, Comstar or Kurita forces? Steiner'd be too cliché and obvious.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Your talking about a situation where Widowmaker has orbital supremacy and Natasha Kerensky on the ground. Everyone is already dead anyway. Might as well do some harm before we go.

A glorious last stand, prefferably by a Kurita group, would be pretty awesome. So what if the players lose?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Option A because it just wouldn't be Capellan politics without backstabbing of the worst degree. Well, politics in general really.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

As much as I like goons, and Somerset Strikers-wannabes, I'm going to root for the clans because upending the status quo is what I am all about. Have fun overtaking the IS, you've earned it :patriot:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Chronojam posted:

Well, I'll need to disappoint you guys a little bit. You can download all the loose SHP graphics for the mechs (TS formatted) plus support vehicles and a fully animated mech factory building are available. There are also a few VXL/HVA graphics for the Mad Dog and a couple others (RA2 formatted), but after that point it's all DIY. As far as I know, all the TS/RA2 mech related mods petered out as the staff of each were absorbed by other projects. There was a C&C Generals version that was actually playable too, released years ago, now that I think of it.

Uh uh. I am not getting C&C Generals again. I've lost like, 3 physical copies of that game so far. Until that appears on Steam, I'll have to stay mechless I guess :(

Oh, wait, reading that site it seems you have to do a clean install first. Bummer.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 3, 2011

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

I can't really add too much to the Far Country stuff at this point, but I have to make a plea to the other contenders, especially Bobbin who can't receive PMs.

The only acceptable prize for anything derived from this book is to request a setback for the Draconis Combine as alternate-universe penance for the awful book... or, if you're feeling really awful, to represent them losing their Jumpships mysteriously.

All of their jumpships, leaving them defenseless for our new Clan overlords.

Well, a guy can dream, right?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Helter Skelter posted:

It's 3:30am and I just designed something that essentially amounts to a Fire Moth with 4 tons worth of ER Micro Lasers and a targeting computer. Who cares if you can't take a hit when you can put 32 points of damage where you want them and then use MASC to run out of weapons range?

Before this post, I had never heard of Micro Lasers. This is just like the post where I was gushing about finding out about Inferno Missiles :smith:

I need to get one of those proper tools for making mechs again and see just how many players will refuse to spar with me after creating stuff like this :D

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Veyrall posted:

Oh no! They're gonna eat him! Poor guy.

That's what bondsman means, right? Emergency Rations?

I am not going to be making a pun about wolfing him down.

I wonder how our intrepid Clanners will save the day this time? Maybe some lucky rolls to hit will come their way, though that seems a poor substitute for strategy.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Magni posted:

Eh, he did tell them that many of the less experienced Steiner units fail to understand the rules. Flimsy? Yeah, but it's still an excuse.

And that's why you mount a water cannon and tear gas SRM on it. Well, unless you're the Cappellan Confederation (under Mad Max, Romano or Kali) or the Draconis Combine. "Crowd control? Isn't that what the Firestarter is for?" :flame:

Yeah, was about to say that. I couldn't remember where I'd read about those alterations though.

But yes, MGs and flame weaponry are the foremost form of riot control in the IS. Wait, what do the Clans use again?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SageNytell posted:

I like pancakes.

And dead Vipers.

This turn of events appeals to my sensibilities. It must be the eventual course of action. :downs:

Good luck, Muk! You'll need it!

Stop being space racist against Vipers :( (coming from me, someone who recently detailed his space racist Shepard in Mass Effect 2's thread).

Really excited to see how the duel is going to turn out though.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Go get 'em, Lucerne! Keep on scrappin', or you'll lose an arm!

Hmmm, wonder if the Clanners would even bother trying to cut that transmission short?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I wonder if punching out the clanner's center torso will result in a sudden reactor breach. Let's hope so!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Really, it could not end any other way. I am, as far as I have seen, the person on this thread with the biggest soft spot for the Clans as a whole.

What, me actively cheering for the Clan to win wasn't enough? :(

Can I at least be a close second?

Edit: Hmmm, does that mean I should be asking you to cheat so as to show the morality of the Clans to be superior, or not to cheat so you'll probably lose and grant them a victory?

Actually, you just winning means you'll be alive to quibble about morals later. Go legal-like!

Edit2: vvvv Yes, I know, just hoping against hope they won't hit the 15 turn limit :) That's a bit mean to the hardworking players though, because getting all this set up and fighting this holding action took a lot of work, I'm guessing. But I got to hold out for my favorite teams, right?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 18, 2011

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Voting D

It's a trap! The mysterious contractor set up all those deaths and whatnot, and he's now planning to either simply draw the raging mercs into enemy territory, or sacrifice them to kill off either the sitting leader or the man plotting for the throne.

:tinfoil: We're staying right here!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Also, just because I love the dopey thing, the logo I threw together and put on the 'shirt' front:

...I did WARN you people that I was going to become the Clans' designated cheerleader. And would stop using contractions. This is but the first installment. :3:

If I knew how to draw, or well, make any kind of art, I'd be outdoing you in a second Mister! :argh:

As a fan that is, not an artist. :saddowns:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I'd buy one.

Her fate is not yet determined. Ceasar Steiner is about to go :black101:, so he might just save her yet. Your use of contractions is not yet at an end, quineg?

(Seriously, PTN, please rescue Samantha.

No. We need more awesome warriors with actual personalities fighting for the Clans.

Besides, when has Ceasar ever rescued anyone?

(In this strange new timeline, maybe he'll fare differently?)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

C

Because I'd be a fool to pass up such a dustoff. Also, Bobbin Threadbare made it so you know it is good.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If and only if C is assured to come around later, I'll switch my vote to D because it sounds interesting. But only if those terrorists aren't targetting clanners!

I suggest all you other C votes do the same so we have a chance against the A-tide.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yay, we're going to disrupt Inner Sphere politics at a critical juncture! The Clans will surely win now :D

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

That's all well and good but if we don't fight the clans then people will never vote for Bobbin's scenario since the argument against that is "it's too early to fight as the clans!"

What kind of logic is that? We're going to fight as the clans at the next opportunity because the Clans rule and have awesome mechs. Don't you want awesome mechs that aren't Awesomes? I know I do.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So you'll rely on massed, possibly swiftly utilized firepower. Hoping you won't hit any civilian targets.

:munch:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm trying my best to use these mech-crafting programs to make the least threatening/hilarious mech I can manage.

Sadly I have no imagination or experience with the game and software, so all I've come up with is a dual-combine wielding industrial mech that moves at what I think is a somewhat swift pace. If I could latch a 1 ton strawhat onto that somehow, my first design would be complete.

Edit: Huh. So wrecking balls are essentially one of the worst choices in weapons there are? Good to know.

Edit2: And machineguns apparently are as broken as everyone says, as replacing all my other equipment with that while keeping all the horrible choices still quadruples my damage output.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 21, 2011

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

goatface posted:

Make a mech with no arms, no weapons and chicken legs. Then fit it with max armour and lots of jump jets so its only real offensive option is to DFA people.

Well, at least it would be cheap.

But that looks like a surefire way to lose a lot of experienced mech pilots. Unless the entire point of the mech is to weed out the pilots too dumb to realize what a deathtrap they've sat into.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wait, who killed off the Grey Death legion again? That was so long ago I can barely remember them even being fought :(

Edit: If it was the clans (what with the notion of the periphery in the OP), I will be very sad. Why're you all about giving those guys trouble, huh? :(

In all seriousness though, this will make the C option a lot more interesting the next time around :D

Edit: Huh, oddly enough it hadn't updated my page properly. So it most certainly is the Clans.

Edit 2:Let's hope noone believes them! That'd give the Grey Legion a useful role in the war and we don't want that.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 22, 2011

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm seriously pondering if some badly painted mechs are going to be proof enough to someone investigating the things when they somehow managed to sneak into the city undetected, probably via bribes or a hijacked train, and then manage to zero in on a VIP despite being this big, so far unknown enemy. Especially since the mechs aren't exactly up to clanner specification.

Then again getting a good bead on them is going to be tricky in this weather.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Volmarias posted:

The VIP could be a high level person in Loki :ssh:

That's true, but really we're all speculating here. So let me speculate as crazily as I can, going on absolutely no evidence whatsoever.

The VIP is a clan dignitary who is secretly meeting with members of some upstart Lyran who's got Loki there to make sure everything stays less deadly (who else to bring to keep an eye on possible assassins than the most brutal guys around)?

The purpose of the meeting? To divvy up the Commonwealth between the clans and whoever set the meeting up, resulting in massive death for the worlds targeted who might be perceived as being less loyal to Loki's paymaster.

Heimdall are here to make sure the effort fails and put some heat on Loki while they're at it to stop future efforts by those crazy murdering fellows. Why dress up as clanners? To confuse whichever clan they are negotiating with, possibly making them wage war upon each other as the invasion proceeds.

How'd I do?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Probably clan freebirth free. Most likely.

Hmmm, clan vehicles are pretty good at hiding in fog, right?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

They'll also be ten feet tall, and easily defeated by girls singing.

I'm fine with that as long as I get to say "Glorious." as one of my last words. And be able to breathe in space.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

That's how much ammo it has by default? The missile launchers are roughly balanced on making damage/ammo/weight ratios the same across the board (.i.e 4 lrm5s ≈ 1 lrm20 and 3 srm4 ≈ 2 srm6). The only exception to this is the srm2 as the cluster table for 2 hits gives better returns than the other ones.

I was about to comment that I was missing a few tons when redesigning this mech to spec via software, but it seems I was missing just how many jump jets this thing has.

As someone who tends to build his mechs with a lot of guns as a holdover from the PC games, this mech is looking crazy fast. But I also cannot see why it would ever need an SRM.

Edit: At the cost of 2 jump jet points, you can stick another LRM-5 with ammo on there and become a real hassle for anything that is unable to keep up with you.

Edit 2: vvvv Well, if you say so. I'm still very new to this whole tabletop thing.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 23, 2011

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

This LP made me want to see if I could get my old copy of mechwarrior 2 mercs to work. Somehow. Sadly, this was not the case :(

Also, these guessing games are still awesome. Maybe LOKI elements have been corrupted into something even more evil. Like, breakdancing.

Edit: vvv I wouldn't try to run it on my modern pc , except via virtual PC (and a very dusty old windows 98 disc, which luckily had not been discarded even though I probably should have at this point).

It runs, but only to the point of starting the actual missions. Then it gives me an error message about not being able to access audio from the CD and shuts down.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 24, 2011

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

TildeATH posted:

The greatest philosopher of the 30th century theorized that one day even LosTech would become LosTech and humanity would transcend beyond our primitive concepts of our own primitiveness but unfortunately his texts were confiscated and destroyed...

By garbage men.

I'm saying he accidentally threw them in the trash.

Or that he los:downsrim:

(Comstar were the garbage men)

Edit: Still no luck with mechwarrior 2. Tried disabling all cd audio but then I just get a black screen that eventually crashes :('

Edit 2: Somewhat fixed. Installing it and choosing to run via software helped (emulating 3d drivers is apparently a crazy business), though the game is still bugging out from time to time. Still managed to finish the first few missions.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 24, 2011

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

To be honest, I am rooting for a good old fashioned Marik-style civil war breaking out in the middle of the clan invasion. :wooper:

Aren't we all?

Just patched the mechwarrior 2 version I'm using. It's going better, and doesn't crash as frequently. But I managed to lock up my virtual pc just now :(

The game is fun but very unwieldy. Not sure if that's to do with me not using a joystick or just not kitting myself out right.

Speaking of which, seems the best strategy for me so far isn't to get myself the best mech, but to get a bunch of cheap helpers in equally dinky mechs to help even out the amount of damage I eventually take. And since the enemy AI is really weak, any distraction means you essentially turn invincible for a short while as they spaz out trying to hit your friends.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Seems the lockup is some kind of error with a particular level. Don't know if it is VPC related or a problem with my copy, but I'm having to reload a way earlier save :( . What happens is it will start up the second level of a particular campaign and then bam, instant freeze-up.

On a happier note, I've found missiles are apparently the best weapon to put on mechs to take enemies out in a few hits. Ones you don't control that is.

Anyway, as for the map, I've found a new kind of respect for the assassin mech after Mechwarrior 2. If only because it somehow manages to absorb a ton of damage when I fight against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

So player incompetence is simulating radio silence? That's pretty cool actually. PTN should have done an accidental DFA though.

If only to simulate an awesome scenario. Then again I suppose just making an extra roll to see if you could avoid the hit would be an ok idea too.

• Locked thread