Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
I'll throw in a vote for the Kell Hounds, and more than that, I'm volunteering as a Mechwarrior! I'll have you know I bought a Platinum account JUST FOR THIS THREAD, so be proud of yourself.

Also oh god I have never used Megamek before and it's been six years since I played the tabletop. I'll do my best, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Oh poo poo, changing my vote to Davion Heavy Guard.

(Only if they really are all Chargers though)

That would honestly be hilarious. Just an entire 24-mech company of NOTHING BUT CHARGERS. Fear the sting of 5 whole small lasers! :rolleyes:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Kenlon posted:

Twelve, not twenty four.

Four mechs to a lance.
Three lances to a company.
Three companies to a battalion.
Three battalions to a regiment.

...you can tell how long it's been since I played this. :downs:

Awright, that's it, cracking open the rulebook and figuring out just how much knowledge-seep there's been.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Shooting is not what you bring a charger to do. Chargers are your team's linebackers.

... that makes me want to come up with a 'football' scenario.

I thought the Linebacker was the team linebacker. :downsrim:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Ahahahaha! Hah... Oh, man... a Line-

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Omnimechs after 3050 are all junk. :colbert:

(Seriously why would you ever need more than a dozen or so chassis when you can swap out armament and have 3 dozen 'official' loadouts or whatever)

Yeah, pretty much. I mean... OMNIMECH. The whole point is that they're modular, and thus, you don't need to keep making new designs. Especially not stupid-looking ones.

Besides, everyone knows the best OmniMech is the Summoner. :colbert:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

There's already a giant arena in the Steiner Colosseum on Solaris. Let's go for it. Biggest bowl game EVER!

Wait wait. I have the perfect name for it: Rasalhague Ball! :D

Polaron posted:

Warhawk, darn it. Or the Marauder IIC.

IIC models are not Omnis.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Serious discussion: I honestly can't think of a reason why you would need more than (maybe) 2 omnimech chassis for each weight bracket (20, 25, 30, etc) except for maaaybe one or two 'special snowflake' designs for each Clan.

Serious answer: mostly, Clan Coyote having nothing to do besides design mechs since they never really fight anybody, and the requisite inter-clan 'we have the best unique designs' pissing contests.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Really, because chicks- even clan chicks- dig sexy mechs.

There has NEVER been a more appropriate time for this. Also: it's true, we DO. :swoon:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

I assume you don't need *that* much knowledge of Battletech game mechanics in order to play. I could be wrong though. It has been ages since I played and I barely remember the game. You can always download megamek to get a feel for the rules and mechs

Yeah, for the most part you say "I'm doing X", roll 2d6, and see what happens. It's honestly not that complicated to be honest.

Speaking of Megamek, I'd be very chuffed if someone could point me towards a resource on how to get the drat thing running properly. I'm bad at computers.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

125 ton mech built so the clickytech guys could wave their cocks around and say SEE WE HAVE A BIGGERER AND BETTERER MECH, FORGET THAT OLD poo poo WE ARE THE NEW THING.

...it's not even a very good mech...

Yeah, WizKids really did not get Battletech at all. Even their MECH DESIGNS are retarded Mary Sues.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Axe-man posted:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Axman would be a better match :v:

Pity it doesn't exist until 3050.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Polaron posted:

Alternate history, maaaan! We're through the looking glass! It could exist at any time!

Well in that case I want a Thug with an XL engine and ER PPCs, a St. Ives Compact that isn't doomed, and a pony. :colbert:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

In the grim darkness of the 31st century, there is a distinct lack of ponies or pony-like material.

Well fine then, I'm naming all my mechs after My Little Ponies. The Clans shall come to fear the wrath of Pinkie Pie! :black101:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Every mech with 'IIC' in the designation was a horrible idea. :emo:

Exception: Marauder IIC and Warhammer IIC. Like the originals, but bigger and better.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

NEIGH VICTUS! :black101:

WHINNY HAVOC, AND LET SLIP THE PONIES OF WAR! :black101:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Also, does Clan Nova Cat get thoroughly embarrassed by the Combine in this timeline? The Combine suddenly getting a bunch of free Omnitech would be kind of bad for the Davions.

The Nova Cats are staying at home this time.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

As terribly hilarious as this is, I'm really hoping it doesn't catch on. :ohdear:

Well, honestly speaking(and to clear it up before this becomes an idiotic derail), I'm thinking of it sorta like the way old bomber pilots would give their planes affectionate nicknames. I am certainly not proposing everybody do this, it just struck me as amusing. I DEFINITELY am not suggesting, like, OC mech designs named after ponies. More along the lines of, 'this is a weird and/or funny thing this character does,' sorta like Billy Khan and his pig-roasts from the STO thread.

VVVVVV: yeah, the Hell's Horses kinda beat us all to it anyway.

Agent Interrobang fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 21, 2011

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Popy posted:

Voting for Kell Hounds . I've only really played Mechwarrior 4: Mercenary. Is it possible to stack enough PPCs to instantly melt poo poo? if so that needs to happen.

Well, you can DEFINITELY stack enough to melt your own engine block from overheating. Ahhhh, the memories. :3:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

Isn't there a light model with an ER PPC? I just remember using it on the aformentioned Crysis mod to great effect. Sure you can only fire once a minute, but you can down light mechs and you move pretty drat quick.

Sounds a bit like a Puma. Mind, I have not played that mod due to having a 3-year-old computer.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I wouldn't count on having clantech, even if you manage to salvage it. At least for now, we're probably going to be jumping around a lot. At least until everyone's gotten a feel for all of the great houses.

Yeah, having Clantech unless we're actually PLAYING a Clan would seem... markedly weird. I like Inner Sphere designs better overall, anyway.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

Are you talking about the 3055 TR? Because the few mechs in there that are at least perspectively correct are the anime ones. If you're talking about the original battletech mechs, then I still don't see your point because all those were from macross or some other anime?

Yeah, I'm pretty much with this. Looking at Battletech and going "GRRRR ANIME IS poo poo" considering some of the most iconic mechs are directly ripped off from anime seems kind of... uh, dumb, frankly.

(That said, gently caress the moron who thought LAMs were in-tone with the Battletech universe.)

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

TildeATH posted:

It wasn't the mechs, it was the poses. They made the Phoenix Hawk look like a Transformer. You'll pardon me for thinking that the dynamics of giant robot combat in Battletech has a distinctive feel that is extremely different from that found in anime, and that it's alright for someone to prefer the former to the latter.

And yes, everyone knows that the original lineup came from anime. Everyone. Except for those of us who know that the animes secretly stole them from Bolo.

Oh, the POSES are dumb, mos def, they do not fit the tone or aesthetic at all. Not even arguing that. I just kinda dislike the persistent 'hurf durf haet anime' sentiment I always see cropping up in Battletech communities, since I kinda like both varieties of giant kickass robots. Truce?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

There's seriously like a Giant Robot Continuum:

<--BattleTech-----------Real Robots------------------Giant Robots--->

They're all cool, all have their place, and you can enjoy more than one as long as you can keep them separate (IMO of course). :cheers:

drat straight, pal-o-mine. :cheers:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Added to the main page:

Rule Omega Corollary:
Discussions about 'Mechs is fine. Multiple-page derailments about how much you hate a specific art style chosen by some editor ten years ago isn't. If you have to pretend that all Battlemechs you don't like look like Wall-E in order to get to sleep at night, do it, but we don't need to hear about it.

In other words: It's just art from a game about giant robots killing each other. Talking about it too much is just a distraction from giant robots killing each other.

Thank you. Can't we all just get along? (Well, obviously the Successor States and Clans and Comstar can't. Otherwise this would be a very boring game.)

Also, seconding the Griffin. It's a neat little bruiser!

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

For those of you who are knowledge in the series and mechs, could you list a few choice for us loosely initiated to vote on?

For light mechs: the Jenner is arguably the go-to 'badass scout mech' in the Inner Sphere: it mounts a substantial armament for it's weight of 4 medium lasers and a 4-shot Short Range Missile launcher. The Panther is also in that general weight class: while MUCH slower, it's more heavily armed and armored, with a PPC and the same SRM-4 as the Jenner.

For medium mechs: the Whitworth is a solid long-range contender, with a pair of LRM-10s, 3 medium lasers, and jumpjets to boost mobility over the relatively lackluster ground speed it has. The Hatchetman is similarly slow but mounts a big beefy AC-10, and carries a, well, hatchet for use in close combat, which might count for something. The Crab is a solidly-armored laserboat with two large, one medium, and one small laser, and maintains a respectable 86 kph top speed.

And I'm sure others can elaborate on their favorites.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

You know, I was happy when I didn't know what you were talking about here.

And then I found this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382186&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

:stare:

God damnit I am not gonna watch that... No way. Can't do it. Mustn't... do it...

:stare:

DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT. Seriously, best cartoon I've seen in years. Join the ranks of the faithful!

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Artificer posted:

This reminds me of PoptartNinja's Star Trek LP.

The borg portion, specifically.

Resistance would be unfriendly. :3:

Just so this doesn't turn into a total derail: working on an Abridged History of the Inner Sphere, which I'll post in chunks once we start getting some actual battles going on.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Axe-man posted:

I think it would be cool if you could do a "mech of the week" style of update to include with your bit of history, since the whole fluff history is centered around our lovable robots of death!

Absolutely, can totally do! I'll probably pick ones that are popular with the threadies here once battles get going, as I have pretty much all the technical readouts sitting on a bookshelf in my room.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Yes and totally don't mention massive spoiler goes here natch so that they freak the hell out of the battletech newbies. :rock:

Oh, I said Abridged History of the Inner Sphere. I won't be covering the later era stuff until we've seen all the stuff I'm not even going to talk about what the gently caress are you crazy. I rrrrreally wanna see people's natural reactions to the truly weird poo poo.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

LOOKS LIKE SOMEBODY ORDERED A STUPID-LOOKING BOSS BUNCH OF CANON FLUFF

:siren:An Abridged History of the Inner Sphere:siren:

Part 1 - The Final Frontier

By the late 2020s, Terra, then known as Earth, had achieved a period of relative tranquility. Most nations had put aside mutual hostilities in favor of cooperation, and it was in this environment of prosperity and goodwill that Doctors Thomas Kearny and Takayoshi Fuchida created a revolutionary reactor, the Kearny-Fuchida Fusion Engine. By 2102, the now-legendary Deimos Project had created the first operable Jumpdrive, utilizing a Kearny-Fuchida reactor core, capable of propelling a craft up to thirty light years in a single instantaneous jump.

On December 5, 2108, the TAS Pathfinder made its historic jump to Tau Ceti, and by 2116, the first human colony was established on Tau Ceti IV. The stage was set for a new era of unity and brotherhood amongst the stars. Unfortunately, this is not an episode of Star Trek, and there was no 'evolved sense of morality' governing the actions of human beings. Like all before them, those sent to colonize lands distant from their origin grew to desire independence, and it wasn't long before colonies started declaring themselves nations and countries. When the Terran Alliance sent marines to quell the revolutionaries, the difficulties of maintaining supply lines across interstellar distances caused the expedition to fail miserably, and desperate to bandage their wounds, the Alliance granted independence to all colonies lying thirty light-years away from Terra, the distance of a single Jump.

Over time, as more and more colonies moved to break away, the lack of resources and manpower, as well as the economic strain of maintaining loyal colonies, began to fray the Terran Alliance. Tales of rioting over food in outlying systems brought on widespread panic, and poverty ran rampant. It all came to a head in 2314, when rioting and increased police crackdowns sparked an Alliance-wide civil war. The AGM, the Alliance Global Militia, finally stepped in at the urging of James McKenna, an Admiral of the Alliance Navy who used the unrest to stage a coup d'etat, eliminating the bloated and corrupt Alliance government. In 2316, he was elected Director-General of the newly-christened Terran Hegemony, and hailed as a hero by a tired and grateful public.

After bringing the colonies still loyal to the deposed Alliance into line, McKenna realized the need of the resources held by the colonies outside the Hegemony, those ceded by the Alliance. The military was deployed to seize the independent worlds, and with a stern hand with years of experience fighting brushfire wars across interstellar bounds at the helm, the Hegemony successfully brought large portions of the independent worlds under their rule over the course of two campaigns. A third campaign, launched in 2335, would not be so successful, and the failure of this effort is credited largely to McKenna's nephew Konrad McKenna, who led the Hegemony's fleet blindly into a massive minefield in the Syrma system. With all but two of his twenty-nine troopsips lost to the uncaring void of space, Konrad's forces retreated in utter disgrace.

The loss of so much manpower spurred the independent worlds to form together to oppose the Hegemony, and with unified fronts presented to their militarist expansion, it is rumored that the strain of his work contributed to the sudden death of Director-General McKenna in 2339. With Konrad widely dismissed as an idiot, the Hegemony's High Council passed leadership to McKenna's third cousin, Michael Cameron.

A shrewd politician, Cameron realized that he couldn't maintain the Hegemony's territory through military force alone. Rather, he needed a carrot to dangle to keep the regional political figures satisfied. And so, in 2351, Cameron published his now-famous Peer List, setting forth a system of feudal nobility, meant to keep local warlords and military officials in line by offering them land and titles, even extending the offer to independent worlds beyond Hegemony control. With the Hegemony realigned into a collective of nations, all paying nominal tribute to the central authority of the Hegemony on Terra, things settled into a tenuous peace.

One of the very first to receive mention on the Peer List is Dr. Gregory Atlas, renowned for his research into refining the production of myomer bundles for use in construction vehicles. Incredibly powerful, synthetic myomer muscles provided the brute force of Workmechs. Later it would be discovered that using a fusion reactor to power myomer musculature would dramatically increase the load and impact they were capable of handling, while still retaining agility and speed of reaction. Though he would die before that tree bore fruit, Dr. Atlas' discoveries would pave the way for a new generation of war machines, and to this day he is hailed as the father of the Battlemech.

The disparate states of the Hegemony and elsewhere would not remain peaceful for long, however, particularly not with such a powerful weapon as the Battlemech tempting them to action. In the late 2300s and early 2400s, tensions escalated, brushfire wars starting to break out among feudal lords who for too long had stared lustfully at the resources of their stellar neighbors, each fire building until the Hegemony seemed ready to explode. Even expanding further and further out into the stars was not enough to sate the hungry lords. It all came to a head, however, on Tintavel, a member-world of the Capellan Confederation. There, millions of civilians were killed when forces aligned against the Capellans deployed nuclear weapons against major population centers.

In response to the Tintavel Massacre, as it came to be popularly known, Capellan ruler Chancellor Aleisha Liao drafted the Ares Conventions, an article of rules for settling differences between interstellar powers. The key articles were restrictions on the usage of nuclear weapons, and an agreement to avoid civilian targets whenever possible. Ratified by the Hegemony and signed by every major power on June 13, 2412, the Ares Conventions brought a certain civility to the proceedings of interstellar war. All this really meant, however, was that every signing nation had a free license to attack whomever they wanted as long as they limited the excesses of their military.

As their allies and subjects took to constantly warring with each other over trivial slights, the Hegemony itself stood neutral in most matters, taking a peacekeeping role among the feudal states, and for the next hundred years an odd equilibrium reigned, the gentle push and pull of conflict building economic bridges throughout the Inner Sphere. Eventually, in 2556, Director-General Ian Cameron sat down the leaders of the Free Worlds League and their neighbors, the Capellan Confederaton, and signed into law the Treaty of Geneva. Signed by the Lyran Commonwealth in 2558, the Federated Suns in 2567, and the Draconis Combine in 2569, humanity was, after many trials and many wars, at last truly united, a singular alliance spanning all of known space.

The Star League had been born.

Agent Interrobang fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 22, 2011

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Oh, as usual, mind linking my history posts in the OP section appropriate? I've got a bunch more prepped and ready for once we start to get some more distance between my last one.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Sound the alarm! You're going to be UNCOMFORTABLY CANONICAL!

Part 2 - Paradise Lost

With the Camerons at the helm, using the Terran Hegemony as a force for peace, the Star League prospered like no alliance before it. For over two hundred years, the shared wealth and resources of Star League member states propelled forward a golden age in human civilization. Though not even the Star League could ENTIRELY end the wars and grudges of those under its stewardship, the independent and impartial Star League Defense Force, or more precisely the threat of its deployment, kept conflicts from spreading too far.

When the widely-loved Simon Cameron died in 2751, the rulers of the Star League states became regents for the young and inexperienced successor, Richard Cameron. A melancholic and lonely boy, eager for approval, he allowed his regents to use their positions to gain economic and military advantages for themselves. The SLDF, organized as it was as an independent force, could do little about the situation. Desperate for friendship, Richard allowed Stefan Amaris, ruler of the Rim Worlds Republic from far out in the Periphery, into his court.

Amaris despised the influence and wealth of the Camerons like few others, resenting his minor title and rulership of a weak and unimportant state. Amaris quickly insinuated himself as Richard's chief advisor, currying power among the Hegemony's military, sowing discord and fanning the flames among the states of the Star League. All were caught unawares when he murdered Richard two days after Christmas in 2766, and took control of the Hegemony, and thus the Star League, for himself. As one of his first acts as Lord of the Star League, Amaris attempted to woo the SLDF Supreme Commander, General Aleksandr Kerensky, into serving as his mailed right fist, in order to crush the dissenting regents.

To say this was a fatal mistake would be to severely understate matters.

An unrelentingly honorable man, Kerensky saw Amaris and his traitorous ways as nothing less than an incarnation of the purest evil imaginable. For thirteen long years, Kerensky and the SLDF, backed by the Great Houses of the Star League, waged war upon Amaris, breaking the once-proud Hegemony apart piece-by-piece, systematically annihilating their military. On the 29th of September, 2779, Kerensky and the SLDF assaulted Amaris' stronghold on Terra. Faced with the proposition of being slain in battle, Amaris surrendered, hoping his noble rank would grant him some dignity in the eyes of his enemy. Kerensky, however, had other ideas, and Amaris, along with his closest aides, were summarily executed for crimes against humanity by the vengeful SLDF.

With the Hegemony divided up piecemeal by the Great Houses, and the Star League itself without any clear heir or line of succession, the Council Lords, realizing quickly that Kerensky was far too charismatic to leave in place, stripped him of his position as Protector of the Realm, and all SLDF forces were ordered to stand down. In 2781, the Star League High Council was disbanded, every Great House leader sure that they were the best choice to lead the League, and they retreated back to their territory to build their power base for the coming war.

When the Great Houses attempted to woo SLDF units within their territories to their side, Kerensky finally had enough. In 2784, he put forth a propostion to his men: they would leave the Inner Sphere for unknown space, to found a more perfect society beyond the influence of the ceaseless feudal infighting. To his surprise, over 80% of the SLDF consented, and in late November, they began their mass migration, which would come to be known as the Exodus, with the promise that one day they would return, to forge a new Star League.

But even as the citizens of the Inner Sphere wept for the loss of their greatest hero, the lords of the Great Houses plotted war.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

I thought first-run BattleAxes had nine tons of armor.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

I'm going to laugh if they get put up against a Dragon or Grand Dragon and then immediately post suggesting Pladdicus does a charge followed by turning his flamer on his own MG and hoping the blast takes out the other mech. :v:

GLORY IN DEATH! :happyelf:

edit: beaten by Mukaikubo.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

The basics have not changed.

Battletech: roll 2d6, watch poo poo blow up.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Right now sniping isn't an option with your build, both of you light mechs need to run screens meaning that you dash about and take shots when you can without exposing yourself completely. your range is possibly your biggest obsticale, you are a knife fighter, try to get behind them or draw them toward us, then flank them and shoot them in the back :cool:

Yeah, basically this. Think of it as like playing a rogue in any RPG: your job is to kite around the enemies and use your speed to either get behind and backstab them, or set them up for your heavy-hitters to take out. Any time you are not moving fast you are maximizing your weaknesses and minimizing your strengths.

That said, what Pladdicus said holds true: if you run into an enemy group without support, you've got a death wish. Coordinate with the other light mechs and move in unison. Jenners are death machines when they have backup, they move hella fast and have surprising punch for their size.

Agent Interrobang fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 23, 2011

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

You know, I really should do columns on mechs. I mean drat, my user name is Defiance Industries.

Yeah, honestly, I have my hands full with the history lessons. I'll leave the mechtech stuff up to other folks. Speaking of which, next one is ready to go as soon as we get an after-action report!

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Do you think fluff can bloom, even on a battlefield?

Part 3 - Blood In The Water

With Kerensky and his SLDF vanished into uncharted space, the Great Houses of the Star League, now monikered the Successor States, had no more restrictions placed upon their centuries-old hostilities, and the flames of war ravaged civilization. In these dark times, with production facilities reduced to rubble and vast sums of knowledge lost, the tawdry remains of the once-great Star League were hoarded by the Successor States. It was only though mutual agreement during the nearly three hundred years of constant conflict that utterly irreplaceable technologies, such as Jumpships and Battlemechs, were preserved. The HPG relay network, the primary means of interstellar communications, came under the control of ComStar, formed from the Star League Department of Communications by its chief director, Jerome Blake.

Seizing Terra, Blake declared ComStar neutral, and offered their services to all the houses, under the stricture that all pay equally, and that ComStar sovereignty over the relays never be challenged. While resentful of the arrangement, the Great Houses realized Blake had them between a rock and a hard place: without the HPG network, interstellar government would collapse entirely, and only ComStar had the means or knowledge to maintain it. Grudgingly, they agreed to Blake's terms. Over many years, ComStar would become more and more secretive, less a corporation and more of a mystic cult, finally culminating in Primus Conrad Toyama reorganizing ComStar along the lines of a religious organization, which only further cemented the belief of the public that the HPG relays were a tool of magic, only able to be used by ComStar Adepts. Slowly but surely, ComStar's influence spread, guarded by their mighty military wing, the Com Guards, holders of the vast majority of the lost military technologies left behind by the SLDF.

Meanwhile, the Great Houses themselves continued to pay back bloody revenge upon each other for slights both real and perceived. House Davion warred upon House Kurita warred upon House Steiner warred upon House Marik warred upon House Liao warred upon House Davion, a ceaseless, fruitless struggle as more of humanity's knowledge base was blasted away into dust. Far beyond familiar stars, however, the SLDF faced its own internal trials.

With the death of Aleksandr Kerensky, leadership passed to his son, Nicholas. With no other enemies to fight, and most seeing Nicholas as a frail successor to his father, the SLDF, based on a quintet of planets known as the Pentagon Worlds, descended into bitter infighting over inter-unit rivalries and ethnicities. Nicholas, disgusted at the ease with which the SLDF had fallen into civil war, decided that what was needed was a truly fresh start. Taking 800 of his most loyal followers with him, Nicholas began the Second Exodus, leading his followers to a world they dubbed Strana Mechty, Russian for 'Land of Dreams.' There, he organized them into the Clans, endeavoring to form a society of perfect warriors through a combination of eugenics and training-from-birth. A generation later, Nicholas and his Clans would descend upon the Pentagon Worlds as one, taking back the legacy of Aleksandr.

As the Clans grew in power, political divisions began to show. Those who believed their duty was to fulfill Kerensky's vision of a new Star League by conquering the Inner Sphere themselves came to be known as Crusaders, while those who preferred to stand guard for the day the Inner Sphere unified itself were known as Wardens. The Crusaders were largely motivated by a need for increased living space: though the Warrior Caste held most privileges, the civilian populations necessary for the functioning of Clan society had begun to outgrow their held worlds. Though the Crusaders pushed for invasion, hard-fought Trials, tests of battle to determine policy, saw the Wardens triumphant, and cooler heads prevailed. However, to calm the fuming Crusader Clans, the Wardens, particularly Clan Wolf, made concessions. Most notably, an agreement was reached to send an advance scoutforce of Clan warriors to monitor the Inner Sphere under the guise of a mercenary unit, who could use their military skill to gain recon on the various powers that be. In 3005, Wolf's Dragoons arrived in the Inner Sphere, and would become one of the most celebrated mercenary units in known history.

By the year 3000, the constant war had become a fact of life in the Inner Sphere. Territory rarely changed hands for very long, and the restrictions of limited tech meant that conquering the Inner Sphere through raw force was almost impossible. The stalemate was finally broken in 3020, when Archon Katrina Steiner of the Lyran Commonwealth sent out a peace proposal to the other Successor States. Only Prince Hanse Davion of the Federated Suns showed interest, and by 3022 Steiner and Davion had formed an alliance in secret, through the promise of Melissa's hand in marriage to Hanse. Their realms were fused together into the Federated Commonwealth, each holding a corner of the Inner Sphere. With their enemies sandwiched between them on either side, things seemed dire for the other nations individually.

Putting aside old hatreds in favor of newer, fresher ones, the Draconis Combine, Free Worlds League, and Capellan Confederation signed into law the Concord of Kapetyn in 3024, forming a three-way mutual defense pact. It soon became clear that any new war would engulf the entirety of the Inner Sphere.

Agent Interrobang fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 24, 2011

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ Melissa Steiner's hand in marriage.

Also, Nicholas saw the reconquest of the Pentagon Worlds. His new Clans trained in secret for 20 years, then returned and conquered everything. Then he got killed trying to absorb the Widowmakers, which pissed off the wolves and resulted in the Widowmakers' near annihilation.

Herp derp, my memory is way off. Fixed!

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

I wouldn't rule out a Jenner. The DCMS has a ton of the drat things kicking around, and it was moving at a fair enough clip that it can't be a Panther.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

My wager is that the damned thing's a Hussar 300-D. Long ranged pure-recon Mech, paper thin armor. Almost as abominably fast as the J. Edgars. Call it a hunch.

Oh jesus Hussars. Especially the H300-D variant. They really did not make the 'SLDF tech cannot be produced anymore' transition well, did they? I love 'em, but god they're fragile things.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

If they're running flat out, that's okay. What are they, 10/15? And that large laser they mount can give a cocky Mech some nasty surprises. I just think it fits the lance structure; three dedicated, speedy scouts and a fast heavy providing long range support for all three.

It DOES make sense. In a mixed lance with conventional vehicle backup, you'd want something that could keep pace with the hovertanks. And a Hussar is a drat hard target if the pilot is anywhere near competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

:rolleye:

My favorite faction's probably Clan Nova Cat, actually. I love those nuts. And slapping the Cameron Star on their logo after the other clans abjured them, man, that is such a wonderful "No, gently caress YOU" to every other clanner alive. So fun. And if we're talking IS, probably the Taurian Concordat. I have a much bigger soft spot for the smaller powers than the hugenormous successor states. Hell, I was rooting for the Taurians to keep slowly expanding outwards and getting more and more powerful and eventually being recognized as the equal of some of the Successor States. :ohdear:

Nova Cat solidarity! You can be in my sibko... anytime. :cool::respek::cool:

• Locked thread