Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
I too would like to volunteer myself to be blown apart during my first attempt at the tabletop game. I would have posted yesterday if I'd realized how fast this thread would move. You can reach me at ilkhanfel at gmail dot com .

Knowing PTN's knack for stories this will be a thread to follow even if I can't directly participate.

cafel fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Since I previously posted this in an rather oblique manner I want to make clear I'd like to volunteer to be a pilot. E-mail is ilkhanfel at gmail dot com .

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Well since people signing up to be pilots after my post have been recorded on the list, but I have not I thought I'd give this one last try. I'd like to be a pilot, email is ilkhanfel at gmail dot com

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Well their goal might not actually be to kill them, but the lance of mechs bearing down on them has them executing hostages as a warning. Too bad the Cabarellos seem concerned over the deaths of hostages, but not enough to actually consider not attacking the Death Commando's position.

Or maybe they're intending something sneaky and the hostages are just a diversion.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Voting for B, it's always best to keep the number of possible political options as open as possible. Plus I'm sure he's read Macbeth, insane women telling you to murder lords can only end badly if you follow their advice.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

The 2nd Donegal Guards will grind Steel Viper to a halt, or die trying.

(Probably the second one)

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't think you understand the word "literature" the way it should be understood. Are you, perhaps, basic your interpretation upon talks with hipsters?

I don't know, I've had professors that can actually convince you literature is central to human existence, and professors that make me react exactly like Zaodai. If not done right it can be a real terrible subject.

After today I can honestly say I hope telemarketing is considered impossible techno-sorcery by the 31st Century.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Affi posted:

Alright let me make a counter-bet. The lyrans will be dead by the 15th round. If you disagree put your money where your mouth is :D Forums upgrade of their choice to whoever wins, I want no-ads.

edit; One taker only ofcourse, i'm not made of money.

I'll take you up on that, if manage to survive I'd like a platinum upgrade. I wonder if the bookies would put the odds at 2:1 for this bet, I'm always horrible at calculating reasonable odds.

Edit: Actually I guess it's 1:1 odds, again not very good at this. Anyway now PTN character aren't the only thing keeping me invested in the story.

cafel fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 25, 2011

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

I am seriously considering trying to obliterate G5 if I win and take arty. I am still torn, though, because that would be a Dick Move since zellbrigen would be thoroughly shattered and all hell would break out.

Is it actually breaking zellbrigen though? I mean it's kind of a third party to the fight, and possibly not under the lance's direct control. Wouldn't it just open up the artillery to reprisal? In any case I guess it isn't the letter of the law, but what the clan fighters feel like doing in either case.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Affi posted:

I'm going to win my bet and you will all be wiped out by turn 15 :D

I just have to hope the bidding gets even more ridiculous and eventually the clan mechs start walking on their hand or putting on blindfolds. Still would probably end up to close for comfort.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

The way they decided to make every gun have the same RoF is quite weird. The idea that one roll accurately represents a multishot gun is a bizarre handwave, and the fact that missiles roll separately makes it even odder. Coming from a background of primarily playing the Mechwarrior games, it's tough to wrap my head around the idea that a light pulse laser and a PPC are handled the same way in the BattleTech rules.

If it were another game system I'd say that they did it just to streamline the rules for speed of play, but with the huge amount of special optional rules for the Battletech system and the general slow speed of play has always made me wonder why the higher rate of fire weapons aren't included in some way. I'm not normally one to think too hard about what in a game system is or is not realistic and I can usually hand wave it away with gameplay explinations, but that's one question that does grab me.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Come on, one more turn or I'm out five bucks! Screw honor and courage as reasons to keep fighting, there's something even more important on the line.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Man, not even going to bother voting on this one it's pretty clear which way the wind is blowing.

Affi you can mail the cert to the same email I was using for the thread, ilkhanfel at gmail dot com . Thankfully I'm number 2678 on the pilot roster so it didn't come around to me before getting access to PMs.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Going with A because I want to know what horrible secerts the Precentor has already given up to the clans.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Oh duh.

Edit: Edited for stupidity.

cafel fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 23, 2011

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

If the Behemoth can't make an atmospheric landing what do they use it for? I suppose you could use it for operations on planetary bodies lacking atmospheres, but that doesn't seem like it would happen enough that it would need a dropship class devoted entirely to it.

I can't imagine scientist and technicians sitting down to develop a new dropship and overlooking the detail that it can't actually be used on habital worlds.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

When was this stuff published, because it honestly reads like a shittier version of Stackpoles X-Wing books right down to a Mary Sue protagonist loving an idependent starship captain and nonstop bagging on "bureaucrats" who seem to be only be guilty of doing their job, and I'm wondering whether this is a first effort he improved on or if he just went downhill from his Star Wars work. Are his action scenes any good in these, because I tend to find them to be the high point of his writing style.

He also carried over the "Trust as far as I can throw" lines which he sprinkled into everyone of his books I've read at least twice.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Huh, don't know why I thought it was Stackpole, but that would explain the drop in quality relative to his other work.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

I think mistake for everyone to move towards the nightclub considering: a) the Javelin is already there; b) I'm sure you'll need more damage to meet the other mission objective and the top of the map has depressingly little to destroy; c) the giant gently caress off tank that will blow you all up.

Also more walking into buildings drat it. Makes the enemy complete your objective for you and you have no armor to begin with.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Maybe I'm naive, but wouldn't killing your teams future opponents/ people who just so happen not to be on your team, a bad way to promote yourself in a tournament setting? I mean this isn't some poorly arranged and murky underground street racing league, I think people would catch on real quick "Oh, this guys gaming the whole system," and then you're just barred from competition.

I mean if something so slight as an unknown pilot upsets the bookies so much the pilot can't buy a single mech because he's been blacklisted, someone eliminating entire teams should at least get thrown out, or more likely just result in the rest of the major players killing them.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

I was going to post about how DFAing the Griffin would be pointless and stupid, but then I realized I whole heartedly support jump jetting out of the refinery because it would be awesome, so I don't have any moral high ground. Maybe try DFAing a slightly more squishy target?

Edit: Just realized the griffin is the only mech in range. Maybe try for one of the buildings if you have to destroy something with your jump.

cafel fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 11, 2011

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, unfortunately I don't think there's any way to get enough damage now. I hope this doesn't signal that the last mission started a trend of coming really close to completing the mission only to explode at the last possible minute.

I'm torn, because the goal oriented part of me says there have been some unnecessary moves that resulted in basically grasping defeat from the jaws of victory, but the rest of me just loves the idea of a foggy Tharkad night illuminated by exploding mechs flying through the air.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

E

Let's see how hard we can break this timeline off even further from cannon.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So can someone explain what's going on with the story here for those not so well versed in the fluff? The whole operation was a cover so that someone could get a data chip to Lestrade's son, which he disregarded, except he's in on it anyway with Steiner's double, and he knew about Heimdall and the entire operation? I'm confused.

The Heimdall operatives inadvertantly took part in a double false flag operation. They thought that they were trying to subvert Lestrade, but Loki had infiltrated their network some how and had been running things the whole time. The Heimdall operation was really cover for a Loki agent testing the loyalty of Lestrades's son, who saw through the attempt because he's a lot smarter then they expect, and was also apparently an attempt to damage the status of military units not loyal to Lestrade.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

And boy, as a player of the Mechwarrior games only, let me say it took a long time for me to figure it out. I couldn't think of any type of mech, unit or weapon that matched the hints people were dropping, but I can't for the life of me stop thinking of them as free kills in Mechwarrior 2. I really wanna see them in action on the table top so I can understand just what failed to make the tranisition.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Have you ever played against a human using them, especially where they can break line of sight so easily?

I guess not that often, and when I have it hasn't been more then one or two at a time. Again my image of them was really formed in MW2 singleplayer where they basically stood still while you blew them up. I understand their theoretical usefulness, I've just never seen it in practice anywhere near the level alluded to in this thread.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

NNONE OF YOUR SPOTS WERE IN THE WAY, WHAT IS DIFFICULT ABOUT KRABPLAN?

Bro, you learn quickly the best thing to do is root for the enemy and then be presently suprised when the PCs pull victory out of their rear end at the last second. It's a lot less stressful.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

I think this goes to show that even if it's difficult goons really need to do some basic coordination. After several turns of completely splitting fire the clan units look very banged up, but none are out of commision. It seems like with a little concentrating of fire they'd still have a shot even with the elementals completely wrecking their poo poo.

On that note do elementals have a special hit table consisting of only Head or Rear Center Torso that I wasn't aware of or is PTN just really lucky with his rolls?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

the JJ posted:

Don't forget the Ring Out rule.

I don't think the goons can manage that, but if they did it would be par for the course I guess.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Going with Crab for Comstar, Elementals for Clan.

Honestly I wouldn't quite call that rape. By the end the Clan mechs were almost completely ablated down. If a little more fire was concentrated earlier on, or the elementals a little bit less lethal I think Comstar could have come out of this with a hard fought victory. As it stands I'm a bit worried about how this fight is going to go from this point forward. Comstar is going to need to win a straight out tactical victory, seems like the Clanners are catching on.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

C1
R4
T5

These choices all seem to provide the most chances for fun poo poo to happen.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Voting D. Now that we've faced the clans with varying levels of tech it's time to see what it's like from the other side.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Need some FWL love in this thread, votinc C

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

I say bring on the suprise element, hopefully you'll use up your tricky bag of tricks by the time I end up piloting something. The objective tracking the number of destroyed opfor mechs is a typo right?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Jesus, DnD laws are in full effect. If the players manage to do damage by starting a fire or igniting something explosive, expect them to try it every single time there after, regardless of circumstance.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, rushing the coordinator seems like a losing move in this situation. There's no way you can smash down the target before you get backshot to hell unless there's some lucky hits.
I'd move slowly as a group towards the target making sure to keep the light off your back. Definetly focus on the Coordinator over the rest of the assualt/heavies, but no mad rushes.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

And so the goon star tries to pull off a victory by the skin of their teeth at the last minute yet again.

I'm not only looking forward to seeing how the story develops, but perhaps hearing what might have happened at some of the closer goon losses (what if the Lyrans had pulled off the holding action on Somerset? It gnaws at me to this very day.)

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

B The invasion goes well, there is no need to negotiate with IS scum who sit complacent for centuries and only move against the pretenders when the wind shifts.

RC2 We need the SLDF mechs a billion times more then Marik does, and it's not like he can do poo poo about it for the forseeable future. Leave him some scraps and the core, and if he raises poo poo after the Capellans run out of steam politely remind him you handed the facility to him on a loving silver platter.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Voting A. I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be playing in the next round, and never having played a game of Battletech in my life I'd hate to have to go up against the other players in a battle royale.

Also the idea of playing a crazy mashup of Samurai's and English feudal knights is just too tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Huh, MAD-3D seems interesting. Lots of punch, not much in the way of crit seeking, the lack of jumpjets kind of sucks, but not so much on this map. With no reliable team to cover me in case of overheating I'll have to be sure to ride the heat curve well (something I tend to suck at).

I'd normally be down for betting, but that would probably present a conflict of interest.

• Locked thread